Azhar Ali vs Cheteshwar Pujara - Who is better in Tests?

People don’t realise that Azhar would play three tests and then no intl cricket for 8-9 months. That is a massive factor. Also no home tests, they give you so much confidence as we saw yday. Can’t really compare the two, unfortunately.

No way Inzi was better than Younis in Tests.

As an Indian fan in the last 15 years i always found Younis khan to be the biggest headache for us in tests. He would always look like getting out with his sweept shots way infront of the wicket. Somehow he would keep connecting it. Was never worried about Moyo or Inzi in Tests against us. In the 80s Zaheer, Mudassar, Miandad were big thornes.

As an Indian fan in the last 15 years i always found Younis khan to be the biggest headache for us in tests. He would always look like getting out with his sweept shots way infront of the wicket. Somehow he would keep connecting it. Was never worried about Moyo or Inzi in Tests against us. In the 80s Zaheer, Mudassar, Miandad were big thornes.

That's what I said. There's no way Inzi was better than Younis in Tests.

younis is better than all 4. Then it's a tossup between puji and inzi. yousuf right after. Then azhar.

both love aus while struggle in other sena countries :stokes.pujara is slightly ahead due to better record at home

FireShot Capture 021 - All-round records - Test matches - Cricinfo Statsguru - ESPNcricinfo._ - .jpg

FireShot Capture 022 - All-round records - Test matches - Cricinfo Statsguru - ESPNcricinfo._ - .jpg

Pujara is a level above Azhar.

Rahane is also marginally better than Azhar.

Pujara is among the most clutch and resillient batsman of all-time.

Pujara is among the most clutch and resillient batsman of all-time.

Yeah, Pujara makes it count when the chips are down. He's a fighter. Azhar in his prime was an amazing batsman, but nowadays, he's struggling to live up to the same image and standard he was once.

One must also remember that Pujara is in his sort of prime years at the moment. Before 35 years of age, he'll be putting up a lot of good performances until age-related decline comes his way as well, the case with Azhar Ali. Both are batsmen who try tremendously hard, but Azhar with his age can't really be compared with Pujara.

Azhar Ali is definitely the better one ... always plays clutch innings

Azhar Ali is definitely the better one ... always plays clutch innings

are you serious :shezzy2

Azhar has bottled it on so many occasions when Pakistan have needed him to stand up. The first test against NZ could have been his moment. The NZ test in UAE where he failed to hit a boundary with the last man batting also. Either of these would have enhanced his rep. He had some good innings during the time of Mis-You but when they left and it was expected he would carry the mantle of Pakistan's next batting great he failed time and again. Nowhere near Pujara.

are you serious :shezzy2

Azhar has bottled it on so many occasions when Pakistan have needed him to stand up. The first test against NZ could have been his moment. The NZ test in UAE where he failed to hit a boundary with the last man batting also. Either of these would have enhanced his rep. He had some good innings during the time of Mis-You but when they left and it was expected he would carry the mantle of Pakistan's next batting great he failed time and again. Nowhere near Pujara.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare to an Azhar who is past his prime and at an age where most batsmen have already retired. Look at Alastair Cook.

Compare their peak 5 years, for Azhar that’s 2011-2016. And even with the current version of Azhar, he fought to save us the third Test this year against England. So he can also play these kinds of innings even now that Pujara did yesterday. Otherwise, if Ashwin and Vihari had gotten out and the game was lost, it would have been easy to dismiss Pujara’s innings, the same way we dismissed Azhar’s 93 against NZ because the match was lost.

So it’s an apples to oranges comparison. Azhar in his peak was an absolutely gun Test player.

Btw Pujara is 32 while Azhar is officially 35, probably closer to 37.

As shown in the stats above, they have remarkably similar away stats and Azhar actually has the way better stats in Australia, England, NZ (and Pujara better in SA).

Pujara’s home stats inflate his average to 47, while Azhar has barely ever played in his real home and this averages 42, even though Azhar has an away average of 33 and Pujara has an away average of 34.

Still many years to go in Pujara’s career, let’s see whether he improves or declines with age.

As shown in the stats above, they have remarkably similar away stats and Azhar actually has the way better stats in Australia, England, NZ (and Pujara better in SA).

Pujara’s home stats inflate his average to 47, while Azhar has barely ever played in his real home and this averages 42, even though Azhar has an away average of 33 and Pujara has an away average of 34.

Still many years to go in Pujara’s career, let’s see whether he improves or declines with age.

Pujara’s stats might be whatever but had an excellent series in 2018.. and a pretty decent last test, although first innings was atrocious

Pujara is much better than Azhar Ali. Much better player of spin and he can do Azhar blockathen to a much higher standard.

Only delusional Pakistan fans think this is a debate now.

Azhar Ali vs C Pujara

Azhar Ali vs C Pujara (away in SENA+WI)

vs NZ .... 35, 20
vs AUS .... 52 , 48.1
vs ENG .... 33.2, 29.4
vs SA .... 17, 31.1
vs WI .... 41.5, 20.7

100s in SENA+WI ... 6, 5

Overall away Average 37.3, 37.6

Are they really this similar? Azhar Ali has better averages in all SENA+WI except for SA.

Similar players with similar averages. Both will definitely feature in the top 10 ever lists of the respective countries.

After giving a careful thought, I'd prefer Azhar in England, New Zealand, West Indies, UAE; Pujara in India, South Africa. Both are pretty much equals in Australia.

Azhar looks fitter than Pujara.

Similar players with similar averages. Both will definitely feature in the top 10 ever lists of the respective countries.

After giving a careful thought, I'd prefer Azhar in England, New Zealand, West Indies, UAE; Pujara in India, South Africa. Both are pretty much equals in Australia.

Azhar never played in India

I think its safe to assume that he would have scored similar to Pujara in India. I always felt these are very similar players and stats show that.

Azhar never played in India

I think its safe to assume that he would have scored similar to Pujara in India. I always felt these are very similar players and stats show that.

100%. Azhar would done equally well if not better than Pujara as he plays spin well and can score quicker as well. But because we don't have enough sample size, I will select Azhar for UAE pitches and Pujara for Indian pitches.

Pujara averages 48 while Azhar averages 42.

Thats because Azhar got to play at home and by home I mean real home not UAE

Here are there real stats which matter more

vs NZ .... 35, 20
vs AUS .... 52 , 48.1
vs ENG .... 33.2, 29.4
vs SA .... 17, 31.1
vs WI .... 41.5, 20.7

100s in SENA+WI ... 6, 5

Nope. Pujara is a poor man's Dravid at best. And Dravid also captained, kept wickets, and scored 10,000+ ODI runs.

Off the top of my head, a top-10 would be:

1. Gavaskar
2. Tendulkar
3. Dravid
4. Sehwag
5. Kohli
6. Ganguly
7. Laxman
8. Dhoni
9. Kumble
10. Zaheer

Even a guy like Azharuddin has gone better than Pujara.

Nope. Pujara is a poor man's Dravid at best. And Dravid also captained, kept wickets, and scored 10,000+ ODI runs.

1. Gavaskar
2. Tendulkar
3. Dravid
4. Sehwag
5. Kohli
6. Ganguly
7. Laxman
8. Dhoni
9. Kumble
10. Zaheer

Even Azhar would not be in top 20 let alone top 10 players of Pakistan.I was talking about batsmen. My top 10 Indian batsmen -

1. Sachin
2. Gavaskar
3. Kohli
4. Dravid
5. Laxman
6. Azhar
7. Pujara
8. Sehwag
9. Rahane
10. Azhar

These players should not be valued based on runs they make. Pujara just plays ton of Balls in an innings and tires out opposition. This means huge partnership with other batsmen. Opposition fear Pujara for this very reason. Azhar does not do this consistently. I will take Puj

Thats because Azhar got to play at home and by home I mean real home not UAE

Here are there real stats which matter more

vs NZ .... 35, 20
vs AUS .... 52 , 48.1
vs ENG .... 33.2, 29.4
vs SA .... 17, 31.1
vs WI .... 41.5, 20.7

100s in SENA+WI ... 6, 5

Pujara has won India plenty of matches at home while Azhar has lost his team matches at his adopted home which is UAE.

Pujara also won his team a test series in Australia by hitting three hundreds in a series, don't think Azhar has done anything close to that.

Even Azhar would not be in top 20 let alone top 10 players of Pakistan.I was talking about batsmen. My top 10 Indian batsmen -

1. Sachin
2. Gavaskar
3. Kohli
4. Dravid
5. Laxman
6. Azhar
7. Pujara
8. Sehwag
9. Rahane
10. Azhar

I don't agree with this list, but to each their own.

There are two Azhars on your list, and Rahane can't be our 9th best batsman of all time.

Its not a comparison anymore
Pujara>>Azhar
I will keep azhar on the same level as Rahane now.

1. Gavaskar
2. Tendulkar
3. Dravid
4. Sehwag
5. Kohli
6. Ganguly
7. Laxman
8. Dhoni
9. Kumble
10. Zaheer

Pujara's impact on the Indian Test team goes beyond mere averages. The guy brings stability to the innings. Indian openers have been shaky in recent years, so Pujara's role is vital.

Well deserved Player of the Series award for Pujara for India's 2018/19 series win in Australia. I would put him at #6 or #7 in your list.

Of course, players like Mankad, Vengsarkar, Vishwanath and Amarnath also need to be considered.

Last edited:
One avgs 48 other avgs 42

Both average 37 away with Azhar averaging higher in SENA+WI.

Pujara's boosted average of 48 is because of his home advantage, Azhar never got to play in Pakistan. UAE is not Pakistan. Azhar Averages like 47 in Pakistan where he only got to play 3 matches in his entire career (he is 35). Pujara got 41 home games where he scored at an average of 60.

Again filter that out against tough away tours like in SENA+WI ... Both have same average with Azhar scoring at higher averages against Aus, Eng, NZ, WI ... Azhar failed against SA in SA while Pujara did better but still below average.

Pujara has won India plenty of matches at home while Azhar has lost his team matches at his adopted home which is UAE.

Pujara also won his team a test series in Australia by hitting three hundreds in a series, don't think Azhar has done anything close to that.

Azhar has saved Test match in ENG with no. 10 on other end against Anderson, Broad attack ... has a triple hundred to his name. He was also very instrumental in CT17 win. He belongs to the dark period of Pakistan cricket. He debuted in a team of spot fixers and a corrupt management. Still he achieved something on par with Pujara who comes from a financially more stronger setup and is surrounded by a stronger batting lineup.

Pujara and it's not even close.

Azhar was really good for a period of 2-3 years outside UAE.

You couldnt be more wrong buddy.

except for 2013 and 2019 where Azhar averaged 20 and 21, there was not a single year in his career where Azhar averaged below 30. Pujara on the other hand has averaged below 30 in 2010, 2014, 2019 ... he is averaging 30-31 in 2020 so far.

Pujara>>Azhar

Thats what you will do because Azhar is a Pakistani and you are an Indian fan. Cricket is a game of filtered stats against tougher oppositions, on tougher venues.

Both these men average same in SENA+WI and have same number of 100s, Azhar has better averages against AUS, ENG, WI on away though. If Azhar was born in India he would have scored something like 8000 Test runs by now with average in late 40s. To me they are both same men, one is slightly disadvantaged.

Pujara has won a test series in Australia, azhar has nothing to show. Also not sure how moyo and inzi are higher rated than pujara; how many centuries do they have against aus (the best team of their generation) ?

Lol at this coping mechanism.

Both average 37 away with Azhar averaging higher in SENA+WI.

Pujara's boosted average of 48 is because of his home advantage, Azhar never got to play in Pakistan. UAE is not Pakistan. Azhar Averages like 47 in Pakistan where he only got to play 3 matches in his entire career (he is 35). Pujara got 41 home games where he scored at an average of 60.

Again filter that out against tough away tours like in SENA+WI ... Both have same average with Azhar scoring at higher averages against Aus, Eng, NZ, WI ... Azhar failed against SA in SA while Pujara did better but still below average.

Azhar has saved Test match in ENG with no. 10 on other end against Anderson, Broad attack ... has a triple hundred to his name. He was also very instrumental in CT17 win. He belongs to the dark period of Pakistan cricket. He debuted in a team of spot fixers and a corrupt management. Still he achieved something on par with Pujara who comes from a financially more stronger setup and is surrounded by a stronger batting lineup.

You couldnt be more wrong buddy.

except for 2013 and 2019 where Azhar averaged 20 and 21, there was not a single year in his career where Azhar averaged below 30. Pujara on the other hand has averaged below 30 in 2010, 2014, 2019 ... he is averaging 30-31 in 2020 so far.

Thats what you will do because Azhar is a Pakistani and you are an Indian fan. Cricket is a game of filtered stats against tougher oppositions, on tougher venues.

Both these men average same in SENA+WI and have same number of 100s, Azhar has better averages against AUS, ENG, WI on away though. If Azhar was born in India he would have scored something like 8000 Test runs by now with average in late 40s. To me they are both same men, one is slightly disadvantaged.

Nah buddy...

With all due respect to Azhar, there's not a single expert in the world who will pick him over Pujara.

And you are looking at stats the wrong way.

Pujara is a legend in Asian conditions with body of work greater than most ATGs' performance in Asia.

Outside Asia, he has been adequate with some crazy performances since 2018.

We could have a detailed stat breakdown discussions but I am afraid I don't have the energy for that.

Last edited:
Pujara has won a test series in Australia, azhar has nothing to show. Also not sure how moyo and inzi are higher rated than pujara; how many centuries do they have against aus (the best team of their generation) ?

Actual LOL is at the stats which bust the myth of Pujara being better than Azhar.

vs NZ .... 35, 20
vs AUS .... 52 , 48.1
vs ENG .... 33.2, 29.4
vs SA .... 17, 31.1
vs WI .... 41.5, 20.7

100s in SENA+WI ... 6, 5

They are on par with each other almost evenly except that Azhar doesnt come from a financially strong board and debuted in dark ages of Pakistani cricket.

Nah buddy...

With all due respect to Azhar, there's not a single expert in the world who will pick him over Pujara.

And you are looking at stats the wrong way.

Pujara is a legend in Asian conditions with body of work greater than most ATGs' performance in Asia.

Outside Asia, he has been adequate with some crazy performances since 2018.

We could have a detailed stat breakdown discussions but I am afraid I don't have the energy for that.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion but I rely on filtered and details stats.

I am up for detailed analysis which I actually did before. Trust me Azhar gets better against tougher oppositions and in tougher situations. I will give a small hint, we can go by how many times Azhar has been out there in SENA within 5 overs of start of the innings despite being not an opener. Pujara never faced these situations yet both men average same with Azhar edging out.

Pujara and the other 10 Indian players won the series in Aus. The game was not between Pujara and Aus.

Yes, his batting was massive and he raised his game for not 1-2 knocks, but for the entire series against a top class bowling unit. But I won't say that Player A won the series and player B did not win the series when comparing players.

Pujara>>Azhar

Rahane's Average is similar to Azhar. Rahane has poor record in England (25) and averages only 38 in Australia. He does Average 50 in NZ, 57 in SA and 90 in WI. His record at home is also just 38. I feel it is not technical or the lack of ability with Rahane, he should have been a 50+ average batter.

Rahane's Average is similar to Azhar. Rahane has poor record in England (25) and averages only 38 in Australia. He does Average 50 in NZ, 57 in SA and 90 in WI. His record at home is also just 38. I feel it is not technical or the lack of ability with Rahane, he should have been a 50+ average batter.

Bro Rahane bats hardcore in the middle order. Azhar basically opens.

Actual LOL is at the stats which bust the myth of Pujara being better than Azhar.

vs NZ .... 35, 20
vs AUS .... 52 , 48.1
vs ENG .... 33.2, 29.4
vs SA .... 17, 31.1
vs WI .... 41.5, 20.7

100s in SENA+WI ... 6, 5

They are on par with each other almost evenly except that Azhar doesnt come from a financially strong board and debuted in dark ages of Pakistani cricket.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion but I rely on filtered and details stats.

I am up for detailed analysis which I actually did before. Trust me Azhar gets better against tougher oppositions and in tougher situations. I will give a small hint, we can go by how many times Azhar has been out there in SENA within 5 overs of start of the innings despite being not an opener. Pujara never faced these situations yet both men average same with Azhar edging out.
Pujara is better than Azhar whether you like it or not. Stats? Stats aren't everything.

Philander is better than Wasim Akram if stats is everything.

Azhar is impact-less player who is good to blunt the ball. He has limited shot range and can score only when ball is blunt. But unfortunately Azhar is finished. Once Misbah leave Azhar will be kicked out in 3-4 months.

There is absolutely no comparison! Che is a gritty, brave and resilient player and he always steps up his game when India are in a spot of bother. Che has a rock-solid mental strength.

On the other hand, Azhar Ali epitomizes the average Pakistan player. He lacks focus, grit, situational awareness, street-smartness and he always bottles it when the chips are down. He has been playing test cricket for a decade but he has failed to leave a mark. When he is at the crease, he seems like a debuting batsman. All in all, Azhar is a very average player.

Actually given how they play, it's like saying which Turtle is better.

Me I think AzhTurtle has his moments, but CheTurtle has played more impact knocks.

Only reason Pujara is who he is is because other batsmen who bat around him and make his snail-paced struggles matter. If India didn't have Kohli and Rahane, Pujara too would be an impact-less player like people here are labelling Azhar.

Fact is Azhar plays for a mediocre team but still punches above his weight. He is not talented or gifted but to say he lacks grit or isn't one of the hardest workers is insulting, not just to him but to the intelligence of any thinking cricket fan.

People here only see big picture. "All his knocks are useless because they didn't win us any games". Besides being factually incorrect, that is a reductive view to have. Especially for the fans of a team as mediocre as Pakistan. Temper your expectations and appreciate what you have before you yearn for the days when Azhar Ali could provide some stability at No.3.

Only reason Pujara is who he is is because other batsmen who bat around him and make his snail-paced struggles matter. If India didn't have Kohli and Rahane, Pujara too would be an impact-less player like people here are labelling Azhar.

Fact is Azhar plays for a mediocre team but still punches above his weight. He is not talented or gifted but to say he lacks grit or isn't one of the hardest workers is insulting, not just to him but to the intelligence of any thinking cricket fan.

People here only see big picture. "All his knocks are useless because they didn't win us any games". Besides being factually incorrect, that is a reductive view to have. Especially for the fans of a team as mediocre as Pakistan. Temper your expectations and appreciate what you have before you yearn for the days when Azhar Ali could provide some stability at No.3.

Could say the same about Srinath. Only reason is because he had no support unlike Wasim and waqar. So Srinath is as good as Wasim ?

Could say the same about Srinath. Only reason is because he had no support unlike Wasim and waqar. So Srinath is as good as Wasim ?

Lol Srinath was an average bowler with average stats and an average career. He wasn't even a good bowler let alone someone who could be compared to ATGs like Wasim Waqar.

The title of this thread is Azhar Ali vs Pujara which means the debate is around who is better, not whether one is even a good player to begin with.

vs NZ .... 35, 20
vs AUS .... 52 , 48.1
vs ENG .... 33.2, 29.4
vs SA .... 17, 31.1
vs WI .... 41.5, 20.7

100s in SENA+WI ... 6, 5

Are they really this similar? Azhar Ali has better averages in all SENA+WI except for SA.
End of debate really especially if you consider that Azhar overall average include his decline years as he is heading toward end of his career, and also Azhar has hardly played at home.

Azhar is impact-less player who is good to blunt the ball. He has limited shot range and can score only when ball is blunt. But unfortunately Azhar is finished. Once Misbah leave Azhar will be kicked out in 3-4 months.

He has more array of shots than Pujara and has even played some good ODI innings, whereas Pujara would not even make Pakistan ODI team.

Pujara currently is in prime, ehen Azhar was in his prime he was much better then Pujara. Overall I'll go for Azhar probably because his slightly better record in SENA

I know that away performances are important but that doesn't mean you totally ignore Home performances.

Pujara is an immovable Rock in India, he is even better than Kohli at home.
Will never forget that 2017 series vs aus where he played many clutch knocks.
Haven't seen azhar doing the same.

Even though their away avgs are quite comparable, Pujara's domination in home conditions takes him to a different level. That's the reason one averages 42 while other averages 48.

1. Sachin
2. Gavaskar
3. Kohli
4. Dravid
5. Laxman
6. Azhar
7. Pujara
8. Sehwag
9. Rahane
10. Azhar

Pujara above Sehwag? Seriously??

Sehwag is one of the greatest openers in the history of the game. Neither Azharuddin nor Pujara can even touch him.

I know that away performances are important but that doesn't mean you totally ignore Home performances.

Even though their away avgs are quite comparable, Pujara's domination in home conditions takes him to a different level. That's the reason one averages 42 while other averages 48.

Pujara's 92 at Bangalore 2017 vs Aus. is one of the most significant yet sadly underappreciated innings in Indian cricket history IMO. On a minefield with India having a deficit of near 100 and 1-0 down in the series, facing a bowler who had taken 8-50 in the previous innings; the guy essentially saved the series for India.

I firmly believe Kapil Dev is the one Indian player whose statistics do the most injustice to what he meant to the Indian team but Pujara is getting pretty damn close in that regard.

First off let's clear this myth that Pujara is better than Kohli at home. Kohli has the third highest home average in the history of test cricket (min. 3500 runs). Only Bradman and Steve Smith average more than him at home. Yet Pujara is somehow better at home than him? Ridiculous.

And why? Because he played well in that one series where Kohli failed. What about all the other series where Kohli demolished oppositions, not just by scoring daddy hundreds but scoring them at the twice the strike-rate of Pujara.

Pujara is very good but nothing special and very much comparable to Azhar Ali. The only reason that he has been as successful as he has is because of people like Kohli and Rahane (especially Kohli) who play dynamic knocks and make those boring slow-paced innings count.

The reason I like Azhar more is because Azhar plays for a mediocre team with a batting-order that can fall like a pack of cards at any given moment. Until recently there was no one reliable that could do for Azhar what someone like Kohli can do for Pujara. And for all his talent Babar Azam is still starting out in test cricket. He is not even close to where Kohli is.

On top of that, Azhar has had to open the batting at extended periods of his career in challenging SENA conditions, despite being a middle-order batsman. The guy exemplifies hardwork, perseverance and grit. And the fact that he came back from what could have been a career-ending run there with high-quality knocks in England and New Zealand shows what a fighter he is.

Last edited:
The one example that Pujara fans here seem to use to justify why Pujara is better at home than Kohli is the 92 against Australia at Bangalore. Even if you were to add more innings that he played in that series its still just one series. Greatness cannot be judged on one series. And Kohli is greatness. He can take the game by the neck and kill it at any given time. And this is especially true for the way he bats in India. Where he knows the conditions like the back of his hand, and where his runflow is not encumbered by any realistic challenge by the moving ball.

This is why he has the third highest home average in the history of test cricket.

Last edited:

SENA+ WI away:-

Younis Bhai Average 39
Rahane Bhai Average 43

Since Rahane Bhai hasn't played vs Pakistan, so we never know how he would have done vs them. So, Rahane > Younis.

The one example that Pujara fans here seem to use to justify why Pujara is better at home than Kohli is the 92 against Australia at Bangalore. Even if you were to add more innings that he played in that series its still just one series. Greatness cannot be judged on one series. And Kohli is greatness. He can take the game by the neck and kill it at any given time. And this is especially true for the way he bats in India. Where he knows the conditions like the back of his hand, and where his runflow is not encumbered by any realistic challenge by the moving ball.

This is why he has the third highest home average in the history of test cricket.

It matters a lot to Indian fans because that's the one home series since 2012 in which India was genuinely threatened. It was the best spin attack to visit India since Swann-Panesar and the discrepancy in performances of Kohli and Pujara in that series couldn't be more obvious. While Pujara was the standout Indian performer by a long shot, Kohli was pulverized to dust and averaged <10.

The one thing Kohli has done better is to make the most out of poor attacks in series where even the likes of Jayant Yadav scored centuries and Karun Nair triple centuries. I'm sure if you check the scorecards of most of Kohli's high scores in India, you would find Pujara (along with a handful of other batsmen) doing great as well. Even if Kohli scored 50 runs less in each of his stat padding innings against poor attacks the outcome of the match was never in doubt; if Pujara scored 20 less in Bangalore that day the series was pretty much lost. Not to mention the Ranchi marathon.

Buddy...it ain't one series.

Many many series.

But why let facts get in the way of a good narrative? :p

There's nothing wrong in having a difference of opinion but when facts are being pointed out, you can go and check it up to see what's up.

Repeating the same thing doesn't make it true lol.

And no one justifies Pujara better than Kohli at home just due to 92 in Bangalore. If they do, they themselves don't know many of Pujara knocks.

First off let's clear this myth that Pujara is better than Kohli at home. Kohli has the third highest home average in the history of test cricket (min. 3500 runs). Only Bradman and Steve Smith average more than him at home. Yet Pujara is somehow better at home than him? Ridiculous.

And why? Because he played well in that one series where Kohli failed. What about all the other series where Kohli demolished oppositions, not just by scoring daddy hundreds but scoring them at the twice the strike-rate of Pujara.

Pujara is very good but nothing special and very much comparable to Azhar Ali. The only reason that he has been as successful as he has is because of people like Kohli and Rahane (especially Kohli) who play dynamic knocks and make those boring slow-paced innings count.

The reason I like Azhar more is because Azhar plays for a mediocre team with a batting-order that can fall like a pack of cards at any given moment. Until recently there was no one reliable that could do for Azhar what someone like Kohli can do for Pujara. And for all his talent Babar Azam is still starting out in test cricket. He is not even close to where Kohli is.

On top of that, Azhar has had to open the batting at extended periods of his career in challenging SENA conditions, despite being a middle-order batsman. The guy exemplifies hardwork, perseverance and grit. And the fact that he came back from what could have been a career-ending run there with high-quality knocks in England and New Zealand shows what a fighter he is.

Why are you so bothered that no one shares your view? :))

You were soooo assured in your stats but when I presented series breakdown, you stopped responding. lmao.

It matters a lot to Indian fans because that's the one home series since 2012 in which India was genuinely threatened. It was the best spin attack to visit India since Swann-Panesar and the discrepancy in performances of Kohli and Pujara in that series couldn't be more obvious. While Pujara was the standout Indian performer by a long shot, Kohli was pulverized to dust and averaged <10.

The one thing Kohli has done better is to make the most out of poor attacks in series where even the likes of Jayant Yadav scored centuries and Karun Nair triple centuries. I'm sure if you check the scorecards of most of Kohli's high scores in India, you would find Pujara (along with a handful of other batsmen) doing great as well. Even if Kohli scored 50 runs less in each of his stat padding innings against poor attacks the outcome of the match was never in doubt; if Pujara scored 20 less in Bangalore that day the series was pretty much lost. Not to mention the Ranchi marathon.

To add to this, in the 2012 England series - which was arguably the toughest test for Indian batsmen at home in the last 10 years; here are the respective performances of Kohli and Pujara just to emphasize the point even further:

Pujara: 438 runs at 87.6
Kohli: 188 runs at 31.3

It can't be any more obvious really.

To add to this, in the 2012 England series - which was arguably the toughest test for Indian batsmen at home in the last 10 years; here are the respective performances of Kohli and Pujara just to emphasize the point even further:

Pujara: 438 runs at 87.6
Kohli: 188 runs at 31.3

It can't be any more obvious really.

And there's more too.

2015 SL series where Kohli mistreated Pujara so bad and then sent him out to open on a green seamer with the series in balance...and Pujara scores 145* on Day 1 winning us the series.

Then the Ranchi knock where he saved the test.

Then the 2015 SA test series knocks. Stats can go to hell. Pujara and Vijay won us the series while others stat boosted in Delhi :)).

It's a longgggggg list.

Pujara vs Kohli at home is not even a comparison (for fans who have actually followed the home season closely).

Azhar and Pujara are similar away from home but Pujara has had more impactful performances

At home it’s not a comparison

Why are you so bothered that no one shares your view? :))

You were soooo assured in your stats but when I presented series breakdown, you stopped responding. lmao.

Yeah, because you were repeating the same things over and over again.

The reason I highlighted that stat is because I find it really interesting, I couldn't care less whether anyone shares my view or not. In all of test cricket's centuries long history only two players have managed to score runs at home at a better average than Kohli, that's astounding. One of many stats that show what a once in a generation player Kohli truly is.

This kind of hero worship that you are awarding to Pujara completely overshadows the role others played not just in the Bangalore test but in the entire series. Is it true that Pujara probably played the best innings of that match? Sure. But I would argue that the spinners and KL Rahul played an even bigger role in making that win possible. And especially Rahul. Had it not been for Rahul scoring half the runs in the first innings where everyone failed India would not have even gotten to the position of posting 189. An then he followed it up with a half century in the second innings, on a pitch that was steadily getting worse and worse to bat on. Infact throughout the series Rahul was much more consistent than Pujara and arguably a bigger reason for India winning because of the integral role he had in both wins.

Last edited:
UAE is home.

Not really. Home series has home crowd support, favorable pitches(doctored), familiarity and stuff.
Players who spent their lives playing in stadia of Lahore, Karachi, Rwp, Peshawar are probably more comfortable playing there than playing in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Dubai.

Curators don't listen to PCB for making pitches in UAE and has often come to discussion in forums.
Makes a lot of difference.

Every team pads their stats by playing at home. Pakistan didn't have that luxury from 2009-2019.

Would Anderson still have the record he has if England had played their home tests in NZ?

End of debate really especially if you consider that Azhar overall average include his decline years as he is heading toward end of his career, and also Azhar has hardly played at home.

I know but its hard for Indian fans to accept that anything Pakistani can be on par or better than their own heroes. I really do not care as I believe in numbers against oppositions, venues and situations. Pujara can have a 80+ local average but the fact remains same that He scored evenly in away SENA with Azhar with Azhar edging above in majority SENA except SA.

Azhar is just unlucky to have been born in a financially weaker setup and belongs to dark decade of pakistani cricket. Never really played at home, never was supported from openers... he has practically opened batting in SENA majority part of his career whereas Pujara always had massive support and never faced this crisis yet he scored evenly with Azhar.

Pujara and Azhar both averages 37 in SENA+WI. Azhar average higher than Pujara in almost all places except in SA. Both have scored same amount of away 100s in SENA+WI.

Pujara just have higher overall average because Azhar has just played 3 home tests in his entire career while Pujara has played thick part of his entire career in home. UAE is not Pakistan Azhar did not grow up playing on UAE surfaces. UAE was a hired place by PCB to have home tests series there, by no means its equivalent to Pakistan. Azhar at the age of 35 still is maintaining an avg of 47 in Pakistan, if he had got series in Pakistan in his prime he would have been averaging 50 by now.

Pujara failed in ODIs but Azhar won us CT17. He was opening ODI innings in England. Pujara wont even make ODI A team of his country.

SENA+ WI away:-

Younis Bhai Average 39
Rahane Bhai Average 43

Since Rahane Bhai hasn't played vs Pakistan, so we never know how he would have done vs them. So, Rahane > Younis.

Illogical. Rahane has not got enough of the sample in comparison to Younis to be compared to him. Its like I put Asif vs Kapil Dev and start calling Dev a trundler because of dev's joke like test average. Different eras, different oppositions, different venues and situations matter lots. If Rahane can score 11K runs in same era as Younis then both men can be compared but now they cant be.

Azhar and Pujara belongs to same era and generation (I am assuming both men are not age fudgers even though they come from massive age fudging nations) They faced same oppositions, on same away surfaces. They can be perfectly compared. If you want to compare Younis then he can be compared to Yuvraj singh, Sehwag, Dhoni, Dravid etc

UAE is home.

Its not. UAE is a unfamiliar surface to Pakistani batters where they don't grow up playing. Different climate, different crowd, different environment.

Pakistan is home, UAE is not.

Someone needs to drag out the numbers of times Azhar Ali has been out on the crease in first five overs of innings in SENA+WI. Pakistani openers are usually trash, Azhar Ali has been practically opening the Pakistani batting in Tests for numbers of years yet could maintain 37+ avg on par with glorified Pujara is just an amazing feat.

Both men average same and have equal umber of 100s against tough situations, have similar numbers. Pujara will score more test runs overall then Azhar Ali in the end because of home advantage though. On the other hand if Azhar ali by some miracle takes the Hafeez route and keep going then may be he can touch the 8000 test runs mark with a career average of 45-46. I am assuming he will get domestic series in next 2 years like Pujara had his entire career.

To me, they are the same man in two different bodies. One is just at disadvantage.

Pujara is better than Azhar whether you like it or not. Stats? Stats aren't everything.

Philander is better than Wasim Akram if stats is everything.

That's just illogical. Akram and Philander belong to entirely different generations, played on different surfaces, against entirely different oppositions in different eras. They just cant be compared.

Azhar and Pujara belong to same generations, played on same surfaces, faced same sets of oppositions bowlers.... guess what, both have almost same record against tough away oppositions.

Stats can be compared when its the same generations, surfaces, oppositions and also the sample size need to be similar. Azhar and Pujara both have 6000+ test runs, they can be compared.

Pujara's 92 at Bangalore 2017 vs Aus. is one of the most significant yet sadly underappreciated innings in Indian cricket history IMO. On a minefield with India having a deficit of near 100 and 1-0 down in the series, facing a bowler who had taken 8-50 in the previous innings; the guy essentially saved the series for India.

I firmly believe Kapil Dev is the one Indian player whose statistics do the most injustice to what he meant to the Indian team but Pujara is getting pretty damn close in that regard.
Completely Agree.
Pujara ahead of kohli at home especially bcoz i think he is a better batsman against spin.
But there's a bigger difference between Kohli and Pujji in away conditions.
Pujara needs to improve his stats in major countries like Sa, Eng, Nz otherwise some stats digger will brand him as a HTB which he is not.

Also UAE is home for Pakistan, it was your fortress four years ago.
Just bcoz Azhar hasn't been able to replicate yoni and misbah doesn't mean that you can come up with excuses like these.

Watch both retire at around the same time. Azhar might just stick around until he's (officially) 40.

I know but its hard for Indian fans to accept that anything Pakistani can be on par or better than their own heroes. I really do not care as I believe in numbers against oppositions, venues and situations. Pujara can have a 80+ local average but the fact remains same that He scored evenly in away SENA with Azhar with Azhar edging above in majority SENA except SA.

Azhar is just unlucky to have been born in a financially weaker setup and belongs to dark decade of pakistani cricket. Never really played at home, never was supported from openers... he has practically opened batting in SENA majority part of his career whereas Pujara always had massive support and never faced this crisis yet he scored evenly with Azhar.

Pujara and Azhar both averages 37 in SENA+WI. Azhar average higher than Pujara in almost all places except in SA. Both have scored same amount of away 100s in SENA+WI.

Pujara just have higher overall average because Azhar has just played 3 home tests in his entire career while Pujara has played thick part of his entire career in home. UAE is not Pakistan Azhar did not grow up playing on UAE surfaces. UAE was a hired place by PCB to have home tests series there, by no means its equivalent to Pakistan. Azhar at the age of 35 still is maintaining an avg of 47 in Pakistan, if he had got series in Pakistan in his prime he would have been averaging 50 by now.

Pujara failed in ODIs but Azhar won us CT17. He was opening ODI innings in England. Pujara wont even make ODI A team of his country.

Illogical. Rahane has not got enough of the sample in comparison to Younis to be compared to him. Its like I put Asif vs Kapil Dev and start calling Dev a trundler because of dev's joke like test average. Different eras, different oppositions, different venues and situations matter lots. If Rahane can score 11K runs in same era as Younis then both men can be compared but now they cant be.

Azhar and Pujara belongs to same era and generation (I am assuming both men are not age fudgers even though they come from massive age fudging nations) They faced same oppositions, on same away surfaces. They can be perfectly compared. If you want to compare Younis then he can be compared to Yuvraj singh, Sehwag, Dhoni, Dravid etc

Its not. UAE is a unfamiliar surface to Pakistani batters where they don't grow up playing. Different climate, different crowd, different environment.

Pakistan is home, UAE is not.

Our test record in UAE was far superior to our test record in Pakistan. uae actually suited us more

Back