Azhar Ali's batting issues

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Just watching him bat of late and it appears as though a couple of bad habits have crept into his batting of late. Firstly he seems very jumpy at the crease and not still which is affecting his balance.

Secondly his head is going over too much to the off side which means he is missing out on some freebies.

I guess a long innings could rectify these issues, because if not sorted the Aussies will just grind him down.

Yep the student is learning from the master who single highhandedly leveled the series in England :yk2

What was YK's technique like for the majority of that double ton in comparison to the remainder of his England series as well as this NZ series ?

The answer shall enlighten you.

What was YK's technique like for the majority of that double ton in comparison to the remainder of his England series as well as this NZ series ?

The answer shall enlighten you.

I an enlightened by the fact that Younis Khan past his prime with that technique singlehandedly helped level the series in England. And you should be enlightened by the knowledge of Technique not being proportional to good or bad performances in this example regarding Khan, it's a constant which is often tweaked; you don't simply teach an old dawg new tricks entirely or else Ricky Hatton would have defeated the Pac-Man when his training camp revolved around learning a counter punching back foot technique after a decade as a pro. Khan notoriously starts slow on tracks where his reflex's are tested, that'ts understandable for a 45 year old man yet no one is good enough to replace him. All Youni did in England was move deep in the crease and gave himself more time to play the ball, everything else remained the same

Last edited:
[MENTION=134473]Haroon786[/MENTION] As if Azhar would focus on the not so good performances of Khan that's just idiotic, he'd obviously focus on the masterful double in England why on earth would he be influenced by the struggles he had on tour? It's like saying Shafiq is inspired by Shahid Afridi. Khan is a Pakistani ATG and an inspiration for all young batsman in Pakistan, FACT.

its a question for andy flower really isnt it. i still have never understood why he got the batting coach position given he had virtually zero international experience - whats the point?

[MENTION=134473]Haroon786[/MENTION] As if Azhar would focus on the not so good performances of Khan that's just idiotic, he'd obviously focus on the masterful double in England why on earth would he be influenced by the struggles he had on tour? It's like saying Shafiq is inspired by Shahid Afridi. Khan is a Pakistani ATG and an inspiration for all young batsman in Pakistan, FACT.

Since you're not understanding what I meant in that initial post, I'll simplify :

YK jumps around a lot whilst batting and now Azhar is also starting to bat in a similar vein.

I an enlightened by the fact that Younis Khan past his prime with that technique singlehandedly helped level the series in England. And you should be enlightened by the knowledge of Technique not being proportional to good or bad performances in this example regarding Khan, it's a constant which is often tweaked; you don't simply teach an old dawg new tricks entirely or else Ricky Hatton would have defeated the Pac-Man when his training camp revolved around learning a counter punching back foot technique after a decade as a pro. Khan notoriously starts slow on tracks where his reflex's are tested, that'ts understandable for a 45 year old man yet no one is good enough to replace him. All Youni did in England was move deep in the crease and gave himself more time to play the ball, everything else remained the same

Other than the double ton, YK has failed in 9 out of 10 away innings in this year so clearly there is an issue with his technique when he's failed in 90% of his away innings in 2016. That can be attributed to his lack of stability at the crease when making contact, his feet tend to be in the air just before meeting the ball with the bat and therefore he is already committed to the shot even if the ball deviates off the surface or in the air and therefore he's caught napping quite often. Similarly, Azhar is missing out on hit me balls because committing too early and having a poor foundation at the crease when hitting the ball.

Yes I can see that Azhar is not still enough but he is watching the ball very carefully as evident by his ability to deal with uneven bounce

Looks fine to me. Dealing with the uneven bounce well and is solid in defence as usual. The only issue he's had this series is getting stuck in a rut. But that's to do with confidence and experience of playing in these conditions. I back him todo well in Australia.

Who toh theek hai but he's just to slow even for Test Cricket. He seems to be our new version of Mudassar Nazar who I am told could put you to sleep as well.

He is a lot more still now and clearly dealing well with uneven bounce

Starting to look better and playing with more balance and assured footwork.

He's looking better now, judging the length really well and playing patiently. Needs to rotate strike better though.

Since you're not understanding what I meant in that initial post, I'll simplify :

YK jumps around a lot whilst batting and now Azhar is also starting to bat in a similar vein.

What was there to understand to begin with? and since you didn't understand my reply let me break it down,

How does your initial post fall in line with Azhar wanting to seek advice from Khan regarding how to bat the wrong way? does that make any sense to you? because that's what you implied:yk

Other than the double ton, YK has failed in 9 out of 10 away innings in this year so clearly there is an issue with his technique when he's failed in 90% of his away innings in 2016. That can be attributed to his lack of stability at the crease when making contact, his feet tend to be in the air just before meeting the ball with the bat and therefore he is already committed to the shot even if the ball deviates off the surface or in the air and therefore he's caught napping quite often. Similarly, Azhar is missing out on hit me balls because committing too early and having a poor foundation at the crease when hitting the ball.

Younis Khan single handedly helped his country draw level with England, whether his technique is an issue or not is besides the discussion at hand because you've emphasized that his technique in particular was completely different from the one where he got the double, explain to me how on earth can someone completely change their style of play that mid way during a Test Series? all he did was make a small tweak everything else was constant, it's like suggesting Afridi would bat like Sachin Tendulkar mid way during the series, doesn't make any sense does it?

His Technique has been successful throughout his career or else he wouldn't be a pakistani ATG, what has caught up with him is his age and battle to overcome poor reflex's but despite being past his prime he remains a match winning bat despite the inconsistencies

What was there to understand to begin with? and since you didn't understand my reply let me break it down,

How does your initial post fall in line with Azhar wanting to seek advice from Khan regarding how to bat the wrong way? does that make any sense to you? because that's what you implied:yk

I'm not arguing whether YK is batting the right way or wrong way but he certainly is 'very jumpy' initially at the crease and also is 'not still' - similar characteristics to what Azhar is displaying in this NZ series.

Also it would be really naive to take 'seeking advice' at face value when clearly, it's the uncanny similarity being pointed at.

He has done the right thing. Dug deep to fix his issues.

Younis Khan single handedly helped his country draw level with England, whether his technique is an issue or not is besides the discussion at hand because you've emphasized that his technique in particular was completely different from the one where he got the double, explain to me how on earth can someone completely change their style of play that mid way during a Test Series? all he did was make a small tweak everything else was constant, it's like suggesting Afridi would bat like Sachin Tendulkar mid way during the series, doesn't make any sense does it?

His Technique has been successful throughout his career or else he wouldn't be a pakistani ATG, what has caught up with him is his age and battle to overcome poor reflex's but despite being past his prime he remains a match winning bat despite the inconsistencies

This has nothing to do with what YK has done in his career previously or his character (which I'm not a fan of). I didn't state whether the technical difference was large or small, except that there was a difference and that it was legible to Cricket followers who have watched YK this year.

I'm not arguing whether YK is batting the right way or wrong way but he certainly is 'very jumpy' initially at the crease and also is 'not still' - similar characteristics to what Azhar is displaying in this NZ series.

Also it would be really naive to take 'seeking advice' at face value when clearly, it's the uncanny similarity being pointed at.

This has nothing to do with what YK has done in his career previously or his character (which I'm not a fan of). I didn't state whether the technical difference was large or small, except that there was a difference and that it was legible to Cricket followers who have watched YK this year.

Oh right, true totally agree

Back