Babar Azam displaced by Mohammad Rizwan as top-ranked batter in Men's T20I Player Rankings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan has overtaken his opening partner and captain Babar Azam to seize the top position among batters in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s T20I Player Rankings after the weekly update carried out on Wednesday.

Rizwan followed up his Player of the Match effort of 78 off 57 deliveries in an Asia Cup Group A match against Hong Kong with a crucial 71 off 51 against India in a Super Fours match in Dubai, to move from 796 rating points to a career-best 815 and claim the top position for the first time.

Rizwan is only the third Pakistan batter to be No. 1 in the T20I batting rankings after Babar, who has been at the top of the table for 1,155 days in all, and Misbah-ul-Haq, who was at the top for 313 days, from 20 April 2008 to 27 February 2009.

Meanwhile, Mohammad Nawaz’s match-winning 42 off 20 in the same match sees him move up 142 slots to 358th in the rankings.

India’s Suryakumar Yadav has dropped to fourth place in the latest update even as a host of players from Sri Lanka and Afghanistan have made their way up after some fine performances in the Asia Cup.

Sri Lanka openers Pathum Nissanka and Kusal Mendis have made notable progress after scoring half-centuries in a memorable win against India on Tuesday. Nissanka is up one place to eighth while Mendis has advanced 63 places to 41st position.

Dasun Shanaka (up 11 places to 39th) and Bhanuka Rajapaksa (up 31 places to 68th) have also moved up the rankings for batters while off-spinner Maheesh Theekshana has progressed five places to eighth among bowlers.

Afghanistan opener Rahmanullah Gurbaz’s Player of the Match effort of 84 off 45 balls that helped beat Sri Lanka in a group match, has helped him progress 14 places to 15th while Najibullah Zadran has moved up two places to 28th after scoring 43 against Bangladesh. Spinners Mujeeb ur Rehman (up three places to sixth) and Mohammad Nabi (up two places to 32nd) have also gained in the latest update.

India captain Rohit Sharma has gained four slots to reach 13th position after scoring 72 against Sri Lanka in their Super Fours match while former captain Virat Kohli has gained four places and is 29th in the list after scoring 60 against Pakistan. Ravichandran Ashwin (up eight places to 50th) and Arshdeep Singh (up 28 places to 62nd) have also progressed.

In the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI Player Rankings updated after the second and third Australia versus Zimbabwe matches and the first Australia versus New Zealand match, Australia’s David Warner has moved up one place to sixth position among batters and New Zealand’s Kane Williamson up one place to 10th.

Australia fast bowler Mitchell Starc has moved up three places to 12th and leg-spinner Adam Zampa two places to 18th.

iGIlcut.png

Last edited:
Flawed Rankings

Two gutless players at the top of the T20 rankings lol

[MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] well well well, rizwan is now the no.1 t20 batsmen

Sasriya Kumar no where near

Misbah ul haq was the first batmen to be no.1 in t20 for pakistan

Good to see babar and rizwan follow in the legends footsteps

Congratulations to Mohammad Rizwan - admired and respected by all his opponents.

A deserving batsman. T20 is not just about who can hit more 6s, even though it is a short format the champion batsmen is one who takes his team toward the victory with inning of substance and lenght that reduces the total to be chased. Pretty 30s will not win you matches unless it comes in the finaln4 or 5 overs.

Well deserved, Rizwan.

He rightfully goes past the best batsman in the world across formats to achieve the top spot in T20Is, where he has been better than Babar since last year.

Another bad day for [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION], who is on his knees, praying to God that Rizwan fails against Afghanistan so that he can ease his pain.

Flawed Rankings

Two gutless players at the top of the T20 rankings lol

Yes and the best batsman in t20 at number 4 after superb performances against Pakistan twice and Sri Lanka.

Well deserved, Rizwan.

He rightfully goes past the best batsman in the world across formats to achieve the top spot in T20Is, where he has been better than Babar since last year.

Another bad day for [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION], who is on his knees, praying to God that Rizwan fails against Afghanistan so that he can ease his pain.

Very sad/ distasteful post

I have much more important things in life to beg towards the Almighty for, instead of begging him for the sporting failure of one of my team’s players.

Please do not bring religion into sport and competition just like Rizwan does all the time in his interviews and on-field antics

Yes and the best batsman in t20 at number 4 after superb performances against Pakistan twice and Sri Lanka.

Let Surya open and watch him make runs for fun.

He is the Robin Van Persie of T20 batting

Hearty congrats to Rizwan, richly deserved.

Especially as he was written off as a duffer in the shortest format.

Righteous Rizwan in his rightful place - sorry couldn't resist. :akhtar

Very sad/ distasteful post

I have much more important things in life to beg towards the Almighty for, instead of begging him for the sporting failure of one of my team’s players.

Please do not bring religion into sport and competition just like Rizwan does all the time in his interviews and on-field antics

Looking at your daily posts regarding Rizwan and your unhealthy obsession wih him, most posters here would agree with me on the fact that you live to see him fail.

I am not even his biggest fan, I would in fact call for his temporary omission from the Test and ODI XI until he improves.

This is called factual criticism, unlike your blind hatred which has reached a level that you can't even show up on this forum when he does well.

You deserve this for your daily delusional comments.

Looking at your daily posts regarding Rizwan and your unhealthy obsession wih him, most posters here would agree with me on the fact that you live to see him fail.

I am not even his biggest fan, I would in fact call for his temporary omission from the Test and ODI XI until he improves.

This is called factual criticism, unlike your blind hatred which has reached a level that you can't even show up on this forum when he does well.

You deserve this for your daily delusional comments.

I don’t need to see him fail to prove my point

He can play half the innings and score 70 off 50

That’s still a poor innings for a person who has been there from ball 1, played 20-30 balls of the powerplay where only 2 fielders are outside.

That’s still a poor innings for a person who has been there from ball 1, played 20-30 balls of the powerplay where only 2 fielders are outside.

That's what Kohli does.

Let Surya open and watch him make runs for fun.

He is the Robin Van Persie of T20 batting

Let him score his 30* and then sit in the dressing room holding his head as his team loses another....

Let him score his 30* and then sit in the dressing room holding his head as his team loses another....

You can’t compare an opener with a number 4

Let both play in the same position and then compare. We all know how good Rizwan is at number 4 in all formats

You can’t compare an opener with a number 4

Let both play in the same position and then compare. We all know how good Rizwan is at number 4 in all formats

A shift to opening position doesn’t always work for batsmen.
Since yesterday I’ve read posts suggesting guys like pant surya Hooda will become world beaters if promoted up the order.
Guess Kohli Rohit all need to retire for Team India’s sake

70 from 50 balls is equal to a strike rate of 140.

That is more than the T20I career strike of your beloved Sharjeel, who will never ever score 70 runs when Pakistan needs him, and will probably not last for 50 balls in an ODI, forget T20I.

Moreover, he averages in the 20s, an out of form Babar does better than that, and Sharjeel also does bat in the powerplay overs.

What is stopping him from averaging 35-40 at a 150+ strike rate ?

Sharjeel can't even dream about playing the innings Rizwan played against India in the last game, he is nothing better than a blind slogger who would be back in the dressing room inside the powerplay overs.

The pitch, the opposition, the target, these things don't matter for these unfit and talentless slogging openers.

A total of 20 off 27 balls for our number 1 and number 2 batsman in the ICC rankings today

What was the Afghanistan openers contribution in this game?

A total of 20 off 27 balls for our number 1 and number 2 batsman in the ICC rankings today

What was the Afghanistan openers contribution in this game?

And what was the contribution of the man who came in on the 3rd ball, with 93% of the powerplay left to bat?

And what was the contribution of the man who came in on the 3rd ball, with 93% of the powerplay left to bat?

Stop shifting the blame

This thread is about Rizwan being number 1

Hugely deserving.

It's alarming for Babar though who is going through a rough patch.

Well deserved when Babar has failed he has stood up and took responsibility something that Sharjeel can dream off.

Flawed Rankings

Kohli is the best T20 batsman in the world right now!!

T20I players rankings are a joke. Ranking players in cricket is very hard and have lot of factors to consider. If the rankings were right then Rizwan has more chance as worst batter in T20Is

Babar Azam - Off side game = Rizwan.

They both have been chasing the No.1 Rankings by destroying Pakistan together. As long as these two accumulators opening together and play a longer innings, opponents don't have to worry about anything at all.

Though Both are stat padders but I won't call them selfish because they basically don't have the power game at all Unlike India's Rahul who is currently the most selfish cricketer in the world because despite having the power game, he just wants to stat padding.

ICC individual players rankings is a joke because it lacks context.

Babar and Rizwan are nothing players in the T20 format.

[MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] well well well, rizwan is now the no.1 t20 batsmen

Sasriya Kumar no where near

Misbah ul haq was the first batmen to be no.1 in t20 for pakistan

Good to see babar and rizwan follow in the legends footsteps

Mohammad rizwan is the best t20i batsman in the world right now.

A deserving batsman. T20 is not just about who can hit more 6s, even though it is a short format the champion batsmen is one who takes his team toward the victory with inning of substance and lenght that reduces the total to be chased. Pretty 30s will not win you matches unless it comes in the finaln4 or 5 overs.

Matey, these rankings are based on last 3 year performances. The rankings reveal consistency if not anything.

Well deserved, Rizwan.

Take care of yourself in this heartbreaking situation.

70 from 50 balls is equal to a strike rate of 140.

That is more than the T20I career strike of your beloved Sharjeel, who will never ever score 70 runs when Pakistan needs him, and will probably not last for 50 balls in an ODI, forget T20I.

Moreover, he averages in the 20s, an out of form Babar does better than that, and Sharjeel also does bat in the powerplay overs.

What is stopping him from averaging 35-40 at a 150+ strike rate ?

Sharjeel can't even dream about playing the innings Rizwan played against India in the last game, he is nothing better than a blind slogger who would be back in the dressing room inside the powerplay overs.

The pitch, the opposition, the target, these things don't matter for these unfit and talentless slogging openers.

Hugely deserving.

It's alarming for Babar though who is going through a rough patch.

Well deserved when Babar has failed he has stood up and took responsibility something that Sharjeel can dream off.

Champion’s league posts

Champion’s league posts

You do know that rizwan is going no where. For you to make rizwan doesnt pkay pakistan you will either have to wish for his injury or for him to have bad form.

You do know that rizwan is going no where. For you to make rizwan doesnt pkay pakistan you will either have to wish for his injury or for him to have bad form.

You honestly think I care about your Misbah opinion?

My fight here is like that of Nelson Mandela for his people. Soon InshaAllah, my struggle here will finally bare fruit! That is because my intention was always for the sake of Pakistan cricket’s best interest and not the best interest of the personal politics of a toxic individual (Misbah ul Haq). Rizwan can stay in this ‘form’ for the next few months or so, and his selfish nature will continue to hamper the progress of Pakistan. So he actually is better off being in form for the world to see my point, the reason for my dislike of him

In the words of Nigel Farage: “You all laughed at me…

You are not laughing at me now”

Saqlain Mushtaq defends Rizwan's batting approach in final.

When Rizwan was dismissed by Wanindu Hasaranga, Pakistan needed 61 from 23 balls. Saqlain, however, defended Rizwan and said each player has his own method. :viv_thinking:viv_thinking

T20 ranking is flawed. Strike Rate should be one of the main factors when judging performance. Scoring a run a ball 50 should not be concluded a top performance hence why it’s flawed. If ICC came up with a new formula to adjudge T20 rankings, which included strike rates, you will not find Babar or Rizwan in top 20, never mind top 10

T20 ranking is flawed. Strike Rate should be one of the main factors when judging performance. Scoring a run a ball 50 should not be concluded a top performance hence why it’s flawed. If ICC came up with a new formula to adjudge T20 rankings, which included strike rates, you will not find Babar or Rizwan in top 20, never mind top 10

There should actually be no T20i rankings because the best players are hardly playing international T20 cricket as it is. Everyone is playing franchise cricket or the big players are only playing against Australia/India/England.

Pakistan has played the B teams of all big nations, to some extent they have played the second string sides of the medium nations too.

Babar Azam no.1 T20 batsman in the world who will get out 4/5 times in a 4 over spell against Rashid Khan

There should actually be no T20i rankings because the best players are hardly playing international T20 cricket as it is. Everyone is playing franchise cricket or the big players are only playing against Australia/India/England.

Pakistan has played the B teams of all big nations, to some extent they have played the second string sides of the medium nations too.

Babar Azam no.1 T20 batsman in the world who will get out 4/5 times in a 4 over spell against Rashid Khan

That’s a good point you made there. They could have top 5 T20 performances of the year etc. Pakistan batting is overrated and got badly exposed in the Asia Cup. Nawaz performance against India where he scored 40 runs in 20 balls is what got Pak in to the final. Ifti played 10 balls to many in his run a ball knock. Had he got out on say 20 and then Nawaz came in then Pak may have been in with a shout if he replicated his performance against Ind.

Trouble is what are the alternatives?? Masood or Haidar, can they elevate this Pak batting? Hopefully we get a chance to see against England. For me Masood is just another domestic bully.

You honestly think I care about your Misbah opinion?

My fight here is like that of Nelson Mandela for his people. Soon InshaAllah, my struggle here will finally bare fruit! That is because my intention was always for the sake of Pakistan cricket’s best interest and not the best interest of the personal politics of a toxic individual (Misbah ul Haq). Rizwan can stay in this ‘form’ for the next few months or so, and his selfish nature will continue to hamper the progress of Pakistan. So he actually is better off being in form for the world to see my point, the reason for my dislike of him

In the words of Nigel Farage: “You all laughed at me…

You are not laughing at me now”

This guy calla himself the keyboard nelson mandela :)))

Not just strike rates, even runs made by Top3 should be discounted as its always these guys who get an opportunity to score soft runs. Lower you bat harder its to inflate stats

This guy calla himself the keyboard nelson mandela :)))

So what do you want me to do? Take matters into my hand and physically make a change? Attack Rizwan supporters who want to destroy Pakistan cricket for their player’s benefit? You want me to behave like the savage Afghan fans who you were supporting for their violence?

I get your point but soft runs are only score by Pak and Bangladesh openers. The rest have openers (atleast one of the openers) that look to play aggressively in the power plays. Just look around the other teams and see who opens, you will then get my point

Keyboard Mandela who openly vouches for a fixer to be in the team.

Yes I do.

What does that have to do with his cricket ability? The fixer was brought back into the national side by Misbah

Last edited:
Yes I do.

What does that have to do with his cricket ability?

Sharjeel has no cricket ability. His record against quality bowling attacks prove it.

The excuse that PCB destroyed his confidence means nothing - he has nothing to show for in his career apart from three useless fifties against Australia on pitches where Warner was scoring 150+.

Sharjeel has no cricket ability. His record against quality bowling attacks prove it.

The excuse that PCB destroyed his confidence means nothing - he has nothing to show for in his career apart from three useless fifties against Australia on pitches where Warner was scoring 150+.

You don’t need to be Sir Don Bradman, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar or Alistair Cook to target powerplays. Who can target a powerplay for a fast start in Pakistan?! Rizwan and Babar clearly cannot!

Mamoon, if you do not have alternatives besides “there is no talent in Pakistan so there is no one”, then there is no point of you throwing personal insults on players who have done their time. Also you shouldn’t have the audacity to commend Mohammad Amir here as well, his fixing was caught and exposed far worse than Sharjeel.

Rehmanullah Gurbaz and Hazaratullah Zazai…where are they in the T20i rankings?

I would take both in a heartbeat over Rizwan and Babar!

You don’t need to be Sir Don Bradman, Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar or Alistair Cook to target powerplays. Who can target a powerplay for a fast start in Pakistan?! Rizwan and Babar clearly cannot!

Mamoon, if you do not have alternatives besides “there is no talent in Pakistan so there is no one”, then there is no point of you throwing personal insults on players who have done their time. Also you shouldn’t have the audacity to commend Mohammad Amir here as well, his fixing was caught and exposed far worse than Sharjeel.

Pak seems to have quite a few big hitters, its a no brainer to open with one of these batsmen. ideally some one whos better equipped to hit pace bowlers and this doesn't have to to be a specialist opener, can be one of the guys from middle order.
I honestly think Pakistan goofed up big time, dropping fakar down the order. There is not one good example of a specialist opener succeeding down the order. He seems to have lost all his confidence now.

Pak seems to have quite a few big hitters, its a no brainer to open with one of these batsmen. ideally some one whos better equipped to hit pace bowlers and this doesn't have to to be a specialist opener, can be one of the guys from middle order.
I honestly think Pakistan goofed up big time, dropping fakar down the order. There is not one good example of a specialist opener succeeding down the order. He seems to have lost all his confidence now.

Don’t worry

I will bump those threads when Fakhar was moved to 3 and how the experts here were advocating for it as if Middle Earth had been saved by the elves!

It was a criminal act in the first place, now we are in this huge mess!

Don’t worry

I will bump those threads when Fakhar was moved to 3 and how the experts here were advocating for it as if Middle Earth had been saved by the elves!

It was a criminal act in the first place, now we are in this huge mess!

Fakhar was averaging 22 with a strike rate same as Babar and Rizwan. Try again.

He was rubbish at opening his average was 22 and strike rate similar to rizwan and Babar.

Rizwan ended up being the top run scorer in the Asia Cup 2022, with 281 runs, and second was Kohli.

Rizwan's #1 T20 ranking is fully deserved.

You can argue about this accumulation batting style, but facts do not care about feelings.

Rizwan ended up being the top run scorer in the Asia Cup 2022, with 281 runs, and second was Kohli.

Rizwan's #1 T20 ranking is fully deserved.

You can argue about this accumulation batting style, but facts do not care about feelings.

Facts and stats without context do not care about a second trophy being lost either…

Facts and stats without context do not care about a second trophy being lost either…

The stats provide context and justification to his #1 ranking.

Maybe you should look into how the rankings are calculated.

You can carry on hating Rizwan and pretend you do not.

Kohli hasn't won an ICC trophy for yonks, are you saying Kohli is not worthy of his rankings?

The stats provide context and justification to his #1 ranking.

Maybe you should look into how the rankings are calculated.

You can carry on hating Rizwan and pretend you do not.

Kohli hasn't won an ICC trophy for yonks, are you saying Kohli is not worthy of his rankings?

Rizwan is not the best T20 batsman in the world. Do you want me to list all the batsmen in this world who are better T20 players than he is?

Rizwan + Chacha = 87 (80)

Other batsmen were expected to score 84 remaining runs in 40 balls without being set.

Something is not right when you are chasing 171.

Rizwan is not the best T20 batsman in the world. Do you want me to list all the batsmen in this world who are better T20 players than he is?

Performance is always subjective, as I said, go read up on how the rankings are calculated.

Our friend Mamoon is gifted with the art of saying things that backfire within a span of hours

107* off 62 deliveries for Sharjeel chasing 160 just now

It’s become clear and obvious that BCCI has some influence over the ICC rankings.

Knowing fully well that PCB cannot drop the No.1 and No.2 ranked batsmen, they’ve placed 2 tuk tuks at the top of the rankings to further disrupt Pakistan cricket.

This is a conspiracy against Pakistan to brainwash the mass into thinking we have the 2 best T20i batsmen, “toh sab teek hai”, but in reality they are afraid of Sharjeel and Fakhar combo.

BCCI paid Najam Sethi to put false allegations on Sharjeel Khan, it’s all adding up now. Time will reveal the truth.

It’s become clear and obvious that BCCI has some influence over the ICC rankings.

Knowing fully well that PCB cannot drop the No.1 and No.2 ranked batsmen, they’ve placed 2 tuk tuks at the top of the rankings to further disrupt Pakistan cricket.

This is a conspiracy against Pakistan to brainwash the mass into thinking we have the 2 best T20i batsmen, “toh sab teek hai”, but in reality they are afraid of Sharjeel and Fakhar combo.

BCCI paid Najam Sethi to put false allegations on Sharjeel Khan, it’s all adding up now. Time will reveal the truth.

Sarcasm aside, I think they should T20 specific impact matrix to calculate the points. They have to come up with an MVP formula. It is comical to see being no.1 T20 bastman while Buttler being no.17th ranked T20 batsman. SKY's ranking is justifiable. Last 12 months great batting performance until this Asia cup slump.

Yes.

All the teams are trembling at Babar and Rizwan opening for Pakistan because they are 1 and 2 in rankings.

Both Rizwan and Babar offer no danger to the opposition unless while chasing average targets. I was more scared of fakhar Zaman cameo for its impact.

Our friend Mamoon is gifted with the art of saying things that backfire within a span of hours

107* off 62 deliveries for Sharjeel chasing 160 just now

You can cry all you want, but this sack of potatoes is not coming back. He is a bog average player who is a proven failure in international cricket.

He made his debut in 2013, got frequent chances until 2017 (until he spot-fixed) and you can count his good performances on one hand.

The other day, some delusion fan said he is Pakistan’s Hales which is hysterical. He is not fit to tie Hales’ shoelaces. There is a world of difference between the two in terms of ability.

Sharjeel was given a chance after completing his ban and he failed. He also fails regularly in PSL.

His delusional fans should make peace with the fact that the sack of potatoes has played his last match in Pakistan colors.

Rizwan is not no.1 T20 batsman in the world.

If he is, then Shai Hope is one of the best ODI batsman in the world.

He's definitely not the best international T20 batsman, stat padders gaming the ranking systems.

Who cares? Both Rizwan and Babar are pure accumulators. Neither will get entry in England/Australia/India/NZ teams. Stats are useless when you cannot win challenging matches.

Both Rizwan and Babar offer no danger to the opposition unless while chasing average targets. I was more scared of fakhar Zaman cameo for its impact.

Fakhar performs once in 5 years. Bothe Babar and Rizwan are better.

Who cares? Both Rizwan and Babar are pure accumulators. Neither will get entry in England/Australia/India/NZ teams. Stats are useless when you cannot win challenging matches.

Bang on. Both need to retire gracefully but they won’t, leeches play the all goody good in front if cameras with smiling faces. I was seething in rage watching Rizwan with all smiles when the team lost the final. This guy is a gulley cricketer

Back