Is it the right move to use Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan as openers in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

Is it the right move to use Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan as openers in the T20 World Cup 2024?

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan are among Pakistan’s top performers in T20I cricket. However, their strategy during the initial powerplay overs is a bit worrying for the team. They tend to have low strike rates in these overs and don’t often attack the bowlers, even though they’re skilled at playing shots. They’re the opening pair with the highest average runs in T20Is, but their scoring speed could be better.
Player
SR in powerplay (T20I)
Dot ball percentage in powerplays
Overall SR (T20I)
Batting Average
Babar Azam​
117.6​
42.6%​
130.2​
41​
Muhammad Rizwan​
115.7​
45.1%​
128.2​
49.3​

They both work well together. There’s no denying the impressive run tally that they’ve achieved together: they’re the only opening duo to score over 2000 runs in T20I, with an average partnership of 49.18. They’ve scored 100 or more runs together eight times, a feat no other pair has achieved more than four times.

But is this the right move for the team and the game situation?

Let’s talk about the advantages and disadvantages.​

No options left. Saim experiment seems to be dead in the water.

No. And one of the reasons for that is the squad selected. Azam just cannot play. He doesn’t belong at this level. He has been exposed by spin and pace and his keeping and fielding is atrocious. Which means we either bring back Saim or play both Imad and Shadab plus a 4 bowler tail. The second option is a risky one given how inept those 4 bowlers are with the bat. Another reason I wouldn’t put Babar at the top is the team’s reliance on him. If he gets out early it is a massive psychological blow to the team. In my opinion we should open with Saim in the first 2 or 3 games and if he still doesn’t come off then reassess our options.

babar i don't mind opening if he's going to play 150+ strike rate, rizwan has no intention of improving his attacking game.

It's high time to adapt to change. Let's open the innings with Usman Khan and Imad Wasim. Imad Wasim's role should be to capitalize on the powerplay, similar to Sunil Narine's approach.

Unpopular opinion, but we should open with Fakhar and Saim. Tell them to go for it and if they fail np. But this is our only chance of beating big teams (unless we are chasing a small total).
- Saim has failed but I feel he will get there
- Fakhar has done well at #4, but he will have a bigger impact on slower wickets if he is there during the PP. It's a waste to have your most impactful player at 4

Unpopular opinion, but we should open with Fakhar and Saim. Tell them to go for it and if they fail np. But this is our only chance of beating big teams (unless we are chasing a small total).
- Saim has failed but I feel he will get there
- Fakhar has done well at #4, but he will have a bigger impact on slower wickets if he is there during the PP. It's a waste to have your most impactful player at 4
I think it's a good proposal but Fakhar at one down would be a good option as we have seen that he doesn't have some good stats as opener. May be coming at one down in 2nd or 3rd over is convenient for him as he gets the input regarding pitch from his partner and then bat accordingly. May be because of his impatient nature it's better for him to be at 3.

Chances are Pak will play these 2 vs USA and probably win and then use the same formula again and again

Virtually every batsman in the squad has a career SR of around 130. That means a total in the vicinity of 160 unless a couple of players have unusually good days and outperform their natural abilities. Once in a blue moon someone like Fakhar will play a blinder and we will get a mega score. More often than not, we won't.

We should hope our bowling clicks and finds ways of defending middling scores. I feel we need Abrar to make us more potent as a strike force.

Former West Indies legend Ian Bishop emphasized the need for Pakistan's seasoned openers, Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan, while speaking to an Indian sports channel:

"If you're asking me what I want versus what will happen to Pakistan, I will tell you that I need and hope that down the road, I don't know if it's immediate but down the road guys like Saim Ayub, I know Mohammad Harris is not in the reckoning right now, but he's another young man. They've left back at home I think until for T-20 cricket. But these guys are still very young and living the way.”

"So, the experience of Babar and Riwan, they probably will go back there. But again, that's a template that needs to change with those two players who I think from what we've seen T20 cricket going to even in a World Cup of challenging pitches, they need to shift another gear up in the way they approach their batting."

Babar and Rizwan must be licking their lips at the thought of facing USA bowlers.

No point discussing any other opening combination.

Saleem Malik and 80s Waqar Younis already sang the RizBar anthem against USA and Canada

They did this to themselves. Now they will say to the world. Oh look the formula failed. We go back to safety of RizBar.

Although what happened is that Saim has been unable to perform well so far. That does not mean Pakistan do not absolutely need an aggressive opener. They still do. If not Saim then someone else.

I believe we will see more intent from them. Either they will get out trying or score at a higher SR. They will not slow down too much like they did in the past.

I believe we will see more intent from them. Either they will get out trying or score at a higher SR. They will not slow down too much like they did in the past.
Get out scoring is the possibility. Babar and rizwan are not the quality players people making them out to be. They have both been over hyped before they even joined international cricket

Fans don't want to admit they are rubbish because it will make them look stupid for over hyping them both

This is just pathetic. They will be inefficient in trying to slog and Pakistan will lose wickets of two of the most consistent batters early. That's why It made sense to have Babar at 3 and pair Rizwan with an aggressor.

This is just pathetic. They will be inefficient in trying to slog and Pakistan will lose wickets of two of the most consistent batters early. That's why It made sense to have Babar at 3 and pair Rizwan with an aggressor.
Not by slogging necessarily but by taking risks. In middle overs you need to take more risk and slog compared to playing as an opener.
Also the only option left is play UK as an opener now. If he fails as an opener as well, people would say why was he moved up when he did well at number #3?

Right move. If they click we get a good score. If they don't click, rest of the batting is far too miserably unreliable.

Get out scoring is the possibility. Babar and rizwan are not the quality players people making them out to be. They have both been over hyped before they even joined international cricket

Fans don't want to admit they are rubbish because it will make them look stupid for over hyping them both
They aren't rubbish thats a bit too far, these 2 are basically on par with other past batters like sarfraz, Hafeez Malik, Haris sohail, and even upcoming batters like saud shakeel and Abdullah shafiq.

The underlying fact remains that even when one of them vacated their spot for saim and gave usman khan his favourite no 3 spot, these 2 didn't live up to the mark. These 2 have chased down 200 scores in t20 against third tier bowling and rizwam has 3 100's in odi against 3rd tier bowling with babar having 20 and a few of em coming against decent attacks like NZ in 2019.

It's just for some reason their fans overhype them to the moon where you have comments like babar is objectively the greatest pakistani batter ever even though he doesn't come close to saeed anwar and is just a bootleg Yousaf. Heck he's overhyped to the point that people genuinely think he's on par with Warner, Maxwell, Rohit, Kohli, Butler, Quinton etc etc.

The issue with babar and rizwan is that unlike past batters such as sarfraz, Hafeez, malik, these 2 benefit from stat padding and have way too much power and ego and bat in frustrating positions that block pathways. Hafeez had that issue for a long time but he eventually chilled out and batted at no 4 to make way for Bobby and fakhar at 1 and 3. Similarly sarfi just batted wherever required.

This mein khush nahi hoon has prevented played like saud shakeel and salman Ali Agha from properly developing which is a shame as now we are stuck with azam and shadab

We dont have any better option right now, so i think its a right call for now because at any cost i just dont want to see anywhere near to Pakistan team.

They aren't rubbish thats a bit too far, these 2 are basically on par with other past batters like sarfraz, Hafeez Malik, Haris sohail, and even upcoming batters like saud shakeel and Abdullah shafiq.

The underlying fact remains that even when one of them vacated their spot for saim and gave usman khan his favourite no 3 spot, these 2 didn't live up to the mark. These 2 have chased down 200 scores in t20 against third tier bowling and rizwam has 3 100's in odi against 3rd tier bowling with babar having 20 and a few of em coming against decent attacks like NZ in 2019.

It's just for some reason their fans overhype them to the moon where you have comments like babar is objectively the greatest pakistani batter ever even though he doesn't come close to saeed anwar and is just a bootleg Yousaf. Heck he's overhyped to the point that people genuinely think he's on par with Warner, Maxwell, Rohit, Kohli, Butler, Quinton etc etc.

The issue with babar and rizwan is that unlike past batters such as sarfraz, Hafeez, malik, these 2 benefit from stat padding and have way too much power and ego and bat in frustrating positions that block pathways. Hafeez had that issue for a long time but he eventually chilled out and batted at no 4 to make way for Bobby and fakhar at 1 and 3. Similarly sarfi just batted wherever required.

This mein khush nahi hoon has prevented played like saud shakeel and salman Ali Agha from properly developing which is a shame as now we are stuck with azam and shadab

bro they are rubbish, these 2 are not competing with sarfraz, hafeez, malik etc.. they aare competing with butler, rohit sharma, warner, salt etc.. they need to be half decent as them to be called not rubbish.

Having Fakhar, Saim or Usman open the innings looks so good on paper.
The explosive starts, oooh the brilliant strike rates... mouth watering....

However, in reality, there is a higher chance of us being 20 for 3 in 3 overs then 50 for 0 in 6 if we opened
with Babar and Rizwan.

I would take the risk if I had confidence in anyone other then Babar/Rizwan opening the innings..But truth is they are all mostly mentally weak and likely to collapse like a deck of cards.

Having Fakhar, Saim or Usman open the innings looks so good on paper.
The explosive starts, oooh the brilliant strike rates... mouth watering....

Whats the point of this Snarky attitude? Are people wrong for having a view on wanting attacking T20 openers?

Whats the point of this Snarky attitude? Are people wrong for having a view on wanting attacking T20 openers?

I'm just being a realist.

We lost to a Kiwi C team at home, lost a game to Ireland and got whacked 2-0 against England...
Our bowling hasn't been firing, we've had god knows how many different coaches/managers/selectors, chairman's in the last two years... We've even had a new captain in place, then removed after a single series only to be replaced by the previous captain...

Honestly, you could not make it up.. an episode of Eastenders is more believable then the current circus that is Pakistan Cricket.

So to avoid heartache, its probably best to expect the worst but hope for the best.

I'm just being a realist.
I don’t think you are

If you are being a realist, you would know how the team fared with those two opening in the T20 World Cup 2022. So now what? Being a realist entails luck factor of Netherlands beating South Africa allowing Pakistan to sneak through?

Fakhar and Rizwan should be opening in wt20 2024. Saim has less awareness than Afridi the batter ever did.

Babar and Rizwan must be licking their lips at the thought of facing USA bowlers.

No point discussing any other opening combination.
Don't forget the bigger fish Canada. The mighty king & the valiant warrior will once again prove all the haters wrong by making the capitalist westerners their pet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the pitch is the same as SA game yesterday v India, then baba & rizwan become vital 140 should do it zero faith in azam Ifty shadab saim

on the new york pitch i don't mind rizwan and babar opening, on that pitch we need to keep wickets its a well dodgy pitch
60/70 runs in 10 over wont be a bad score there

I don’t think you are

If you are being a realist, you would know how the team fared with those two opening in the T20 World Cup 2022. So now what? Being a realist entails luck factor of Netherlands beating South Africa allowing Pakistan to sneak through?
Of course I am and I'm also being logical.
Applying a bit cricketing common sense to the proceedings.

The team is mentally shot; both from lacking IQ in the first place but now confounded by the poor all round form in recent times (with both bat and ball).

You go 20 or 30 for 3 or give yourself a semblance of a chance by getting 40, 50 or 60 for one after 6-7 overs.

^^^
Also all this over intellectualising T20 cricket...
You know cricket as a sport has failed when you go from having meaningful discussions and strategising over a 5 days test match to spending posts after posts, threads after threads on a game that consists of 20 overs per innings.
Yes that may be my age showing but boy is some of the stuff discussed just a complete waste of time

^^^
Also all this over intellectualising T20 cricket...
You know cricket as a sport has failed when you go from having meaningful discussions and strategising over a 5 days test match to spending posts after posts, threads after threads on a game that consists of 20 overs per innings.
Yes that may be my age showing but boy is some of the stuff discussed just a complete waste of time
So why are you giving scientific calculations about having two accumulators open the innings instead of two aggressive intent batters for T20?

You are the one overanalysing a T20 strategy instead of keeping it simple like 99% of the world’s cricket team’s do.

So why are you giving scientific calculations about having two accumulators open the innings instead of two aggressive intent batters for T20?

You are the one overanalysing a T20 strategy instead of keeping it simple like 99% of the world’s cricket team’s do.

Scientific?
Again, it's common sense. Doesn't require many brains cells to figure out the equation

Scientific?
Again, it's common sense. Doesn't require many brains cells to figure out the equation
It isn’t common sense to believe two accumulators should open a T20 innings. Maybe in your planet which clearly isn’t planet Earth.

It isn’t common sense to believe two accumulators should open a T20 innings. Maybe in your planet which clearly isn’t planet Earth.

I think you have misread my posts or just didn't bother to read them.

One of the accumulators was demoted for a power hitter who couldn’t buy a run and had a SR in the 120s.

The other power hitter who is currently batting at 4 has a SR of 136 when he opens.

Come out of your fantasy world and come up with a better pair than this and then talk. Until then, please sit down.

Give them license to thrill in power play and make AzamK and ShadabK open the innings... :inti

bro they are rubbish, these 2 are not competing with sarfraz, hafeez, malik etc.. they aare competing with butler, rohit sharma, warner, salt etc.. they need to be half decent as them to be called not rubbish.
Lol besides fakhar everyone is rubbish then

Exactly, when I look at a player that is my benchmark. Why should we lower our standards when we have a history of producing world class players.

Exactly, when I look at a player that is my benchmark. Why should we lower our standards when we have a history of producing world class players.
Besides saeed anwar, Inzimam and zaheer (YK and yousaf in test only) none of our other players were ever on par with other teams in any era.

Classic Australia benchmark would be unfair back in those days.

You also have to look at infrastructure, Theirs a reason Australia is the greatest team ever despite having only 25M population

So fans should admit Babar and Rizwan are rubbish batsmen, but also admit Azam Khan is the next incarnation of Viv Richards.

😂😂😂
Nobody is saying rizwan and babar are rubbish but azam khan is an incarnation of viv richards

only your bringing in azam khan to make your point stand when it has no weight and adding emoji at the end still don't make your point stand

Babar and rizwan are rubbish compared to openers from other teams like Australia, England, India, South Africa,newzealand and Afghanistan that's what everyone are saying

Besides saeed anwar, Inzimam and zaheer (YK and yousaf in test only) none of our other players were ever on par with other teams in any era.

Classic Australia benchmark would be unfair back in those days.

You also have to look at infrastructure, Theirs a reason Australia is the greatest team ever despite having only 25M population

So they even have a lower pool of players to choose from.

We all know the answer don't we? It's nothing to do with infrastructure. Its genetic, their players are stronger and taller and more athletic. This why they are so consistent.

We are capable of producing world class players on a par with OZ regardless, even one is enough to know its possible.

Nobody is saying rizwan and babar are rubbish but azam khan is an incarnation of viv richards

only your bringing in azam khan to make your point stand when it has no weight and adding emoji at the end still don't make your point stand

Babar and rizwan are rubbish compared to openers from other teams like Australia, England, India, South Africa,newzealand and Afghanistan that's what everyone are saying

You are the one saying Rizwan and Babar are rubbish. Posts 18 and 24 say so.

The fact you attack Babar and Rizwan yet have an open heart for Azam Khan and feel the need to defend him sums you and your view up.

You add no weight or substance, just hypocritical coated hate.

😀

So they even have a lower pool of players to choose from.

We all know the answer don't we? It's nothing to do with infrastructure. Its genetic, their players are stronger and taller and more athletic. This why they are so consistent.

We are capable of producing world class players on a par with OZ regardless, even one is enough to know its possible.
It has everything to do with infrastructure, genetically West Indies are the strongest because historic slave culture has evolved them to be big, strong muscular etc etc, it's why they have giant monstrosity batters like gayle and viv Richards who don't even need to swing fully to smash 90m sixes.

In My university, just to join and be a regular part of a schoolboy team you must train every single day with the team,and you must improve, the coaches themselves are also usually those that are regulars in domestic and even represent some big bash league teams in the past.

Despite all this, onltly 15 will get selected and from here only 1-2 will make it into domestic and maybe 1 will become an international level player.

They don't have the luxury of having someone like azam khan represent their team because moin Khan is a crybaby nor do they have the luxury of having usman khanbrepresent due to fear of running away into uae.

Lastly their pitched are hella bilo bouncy which makes the pitch just difficult to play in general compare to indian or Pakistani pitches which are mostly batting friendly or other slow wickets which aren't as hard to play. Theirs a reason Pakistan is historically poor in Australia, they can't handle the uneven bounce that spinners and pacers get.

You are the one saying Rizwan and Babar are rubbish. Posts 18 and 24 say so.

The fact you attack Babar and Rizwan yet have an open heart for Azam Khan and feel the need to defend him sums you and your view up.

You add no weight or substance, just hate.

😀
Yes I stand by that, they are rubbish and I stated the reason in my previous post which for some strange reason you decided to ignore.

Show me any recent post where I've had an open heart for azam khan even my playing 11 don't have azam khan init so I don't know what your talking about

Your posts are based on made up lies and the emoji still puts no weight to your post

And azam khan isn't an opener so I don't k kW why you would think I want him as an opener

Yes I stand by that, they are rubbish and I stated the reason in my previous post which for some strange reason you decided to ignore.

Show me any recent post where I've had an open heart for azam khan even my playing 11 don't have azam khan init so I don't know what your talking about

Your posts are based on made up lies and the emoji still puts no weight to your post

And azam khan isn't an opener so I don't k kW why you would think I want him as an opener

They are becoming increasingly snarky, as if people who want positive and aggressive batting approach in T20 are stupid.

They are the reason why I can’t stop making this place a miserable experience for them here.

It will never be the right move but PCB is full of dehati Neanderthals who parade certain players a bit too much to the point that they think certain playing positions are their birthright.

Neither is walking into any playing XI of the top 3 teams in the world.

Anyone who accepts Azam Khan as a batsman in the team, regardless of position, should duly be ignored with other opinions.

All these haters do is ramble on day and night, fail to produce alternatives, other than obese, convicted, TTF players who have WORSE stats than the current opening pair - Babar and Rizwan.
😎

The RizBar squad now targeting Azam Khan and Saim Ayub

Ahmed Shahzad was right about this lot, they go after everyone in order to protect them

Yet you are claiming no one is saying Babar and Rizwan are rubbish.

The secret to comedy is timing.

🤡

"Nobody is saying rizwan and babar are rubbish but azam khan is an incarnation of viv richards"

Read the bold part and connect it with the rest

For the first two WC games my batting line up would be

Saim/Fakhar
Rizwan
Babar
Fakhar/Saim
Usman
Iftikhar
Imad
Shaheen
Naseem
Abbas/Harris
Abrar

still not droping saim?

rest of ur side looks really good
Nah. I would bring Saim back in.

Give him a couple of more games to come good.

Plus Azam has flopped badly. I wouldn't risk his mental health for a high pressure game against India.

LOL. Replacing Rizwan with Fakhar as T20 opener.

Rizwan's average is double that of Fakhar, Rizwan has a T20i century, has more than double T20i half centuries than Fakhar, has hit more 4s, more 6s than Fakhar, but hey lets go with Fakhar cos he has a SR that is about 10% higher than Rizwan which on average translates to an extra 10 to 15 runs in an innings, and that's IF Fakhar survives 4 overs as opener.

Fakhar is a TTF opener.

You can do what you want, but I know the opposition will be licking their lips at the prospect of babar and rizwan opening. What better time to improve your economy rate and pick up the odd wicket.

Don’t be fooled by opposition statements on how weary they are about babar and rizwan. They have to say something nice. Inside they are probably laughing their heads off

LOL. Replacing Rizwan with Fakhar as T20 opener.

Rizwan's average is double that of Fakhar, Rizwan has a T20i century, has more than double T20i half centuries than Fakhar, has hit more 4s, more 6s than Fakhar, but hey lets go with Fakhar cos he has a SR that is about 10% higher than Rizwan which on average translates to an extra 10 to 15 runs in an innings, and that's IF Fakhar survives 4 overs as opener.

Fakhar is a TTF opener.
let's remind you of babar's favorite line "we were 10 runs short" fakhar can make those 10 runs opening :D :yahoo

My bad, it is actually worse.

Fakhar edges Rizwan by a blistering +5 SR over Rizwan in T20s, the only attribute, which translates to an additional 6 runs.

😂😂😂

So the haters idea of solidifying the Pakistan T20 opening pair is by replacing Rizwan with a tried and tested T20 opening failure, Fakhar Zaman who has worse stats all round with the exception of a +5 SR.

Intelligence bartered for a paltry price of 6 runs.

😎

My bad, it is actually worse.

Fakhar edges Rizwan by a blistering +5 SR over Rizwan in T20s, the only attribute, which translates to an additional 6 runs.

😂😂😂

i don't know what stats your looking at but in year 2024 thats fakhars strike rate 157 and rizwans 134
don't even start the argument fakhar has been coming in at no.4, more than half the time saim lost his wicket early and then
babar or rizwan failed so fakhar was coming in early as over 3 technically opening the innings

24ave.png

Pigeon holing stats to 2024. Tsk tsk. Of course this goes without saying that Fakhar has performed BETTER in 2024 playing at #4 and not opener (LOL!), doesn't change the fact that FZ is a TTF T20 opener.

This is what happens when so called fans believe PSL is the barometer of International standards.

Nah. I would bring Saim back in.

Give him a couple of more games to come good.

Plus Azam has flopped badly. I wouldn't risk his mental health for a high pressure game against India.
opening with Saim is not the best option...I think its better to open with Fakhar and Babar and send Saim one down so he can release his pressure.

Babar and riz are going to open as I can guess from Babar's body language. He is more comfortable with rizwan and considering Saim's form, we might not see him opening.

I don't get it, why can't you have fakhar open? Kya jai ga tumahara? Just let the only guy who can get monster scores open irrespective of form.

What's the need to quote stats at 4 and opening? This is not a simulation it's real life. Their aren't any rules that dictate where a player performs and where he doesn't?

Babar and rizwan's issue is that if they perform them good, Pakistan is well and clear, these 2 have chased down 200 scores against 3rd tier bowling and have dealt with India in 2021 etc etc.

But what happens when they fail? It's an instant loss for Pakistan because the way these 2 play they'll depart and will leave Pakistan of 40 for 2 when pp is over? Causing a collapse.

This whole narrative of when Babar and rizwan don't perform Pakistan collapses and doesn't play 20 overs. that's what happens when your middle order from 5 to 8 has been filled with kushdil shah, Azam Khan, Shadab Khan, Nawaz, Asif Ali, Shan masood and these fake batters since 2020?

So you're just playing with 2 batters Usman khan and fakhar zaman, one batter who's inconsistent and doesn't function outside the PP and the other batter who just joined to avoid a departure to uae, he's brand new and he's playing a cup lmao.

@Dr_Bassim @Rana And @emranabbas all have a valid point. If Babar and rizwan are truly world class with their averages as people say they are, then why are they not in the middle order, aka the area where Pakistan is at its weakest? Why not let usman and fakhar open?

Let openers be openers, Middle order bats be middle order bats and allrounders be allrounders, No need for players who are crap legspinners pretend that their no 5 batsmen.

The whole argument of in that case why don't Travis head and Warner go in the middle order makes no sense, Pakistan doesn't have a maxwell, Tim David, Stones, Marsh and inglis to come in.

@emranabbas check this …

“Having Fakhar, Saim or Usman open the innings looks so good on paper.
The explosive starts, oooh the brilliant strike rates... mouth watering....”

Is it a crime to want 2 aggressive T20 openers for Pakistan??

I went on to say the following in the same post:-

Qte
I would take the risk if I had confidence in anyone other then Babar/Rizwan opening the innings..But truth is they are all mostly mentally weak and likely to collapse like a deck of cards.
Unqte

Back