Babar Azam resigns as Pakistan's white ball captain

Who should be Pakistan's next white-ball captain after Babar Azam?

• Total voters
Shadab does not merit a spot in the squad; how can he be captain? Are we trying to go down another Shan Masood route?
He was a vice captain for good 1.5 years under babar. I know his bowling form is down. But atleast he can bat is not selfish like shaheen and rizwan. He plays for the team and will surely lose matches but atleast he will not be selfish as previous counterparts

𝐀𝐬 𝐏𝐞𝐫 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬: Fakhar Zaman, Saud Shakeel, and Salman Ali Agha’s names are under consideration for Pakistan’s white-ball captaincy

The power of Younis Khan @topspin , he was the one who has been pushing for Fakhar since the T20 World Cup, and he is the one who re-emphasised his name recently. Respect

Last edited by a moderator:
𝐀𝐬 𝐏𝐞𝐫 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬: Fakhar Zaman, Saud Shakeel, and Salman Ali Agha’s names are under consideration for Pakistan’s white-ball captaincy

The power of Younis Khan @topspin , he was the one who has been pushing for Fakhar since the T20 World Cup, and he is the one who re-emphasised his name recently. Respect
This is a joke, right?

I mean, Fakhar is already 34 or 35, and I haven't seen him captain any side in domestic cricket or the PSL. Plus, he always looks well below average if he doesn't score in 2-3 innings.

Saud Shakeel and the non-serious Salman Ali don't even deserve to be in the ODI or T20 side, let alone be considered for captaincy.

The only candidates for captaincy should be Shadab, Rizwan, and Shaheen.

I think its a high time we should have 3 different captains for three formats. We will be playing lot of T20 and ODI than Tests in coming years. And we should have a dedicated test match fast bowling attack

The only candidates for captaincy should be Shadab, Rizwan, and Shaheen
One thing I have understood when verifying Pakistan cricket news and sources is that you should always see what the agenda journalists and analysts are saying about an agenda that suits them. In the past 24-36 hours, some very hardcore pro RizBar journos have changed their tunes about the possibility of Rizwan (and even Shaheen) becoming the white ball captain. Its just something that I have noticed.

One guy who basically has so much insight into Rizwan's moves to the point that he can tell you what he had for breakfast this morning outright denied that the PCB has even been in contact with Rizwan about captaincy.

Others, after realising that Rizwan may not actually be the obvious choice to lead are not spinning the narrative by saying Rizwan is not a 'yes man' and he has put forward demands and concerns about possibly leading Pakistan.

Its all a bit suspicious tbh.

One thing I have understood when verifying Pakistan cricket news and sources is that you should always see what the agenda journalists and analysts are saying about an agenda that suits them. In the past 24-36 hours, some very hardcore pro RizBar journos have changed their tunes about the possibility of Rizwan (and even Shaheen) becoming the white ball captain. Its just something that I have noticed.

One guy who basically has so much insight into Rizwan's moves to the point that he can tell you what he had for breakfast this morning outright denied that the PCB has even been in contact with Rizwan about captaincy.

Others, after realising that Rizwan may not actually be the obvious choice to lead are not spinning the narrative by saying Rizwan is not a 'yes man' and he has put forward demands and concerns about possibly leading Pakistan.

Its all a bit suspicious tbh.
Agreed, but if you are going to appoint someone who has never captained in domestic matches and hasn't been tested, what is the point of testing Rizwan, Shaheen, and others for captaincy in domestic competitions? I think we are back in 2019 when Babar was made captain without being tested in domestic cricket.

A rule of thumb in Pakistan cricket is that the captain should be the best player on the team. And that’s it, full stop.

Agreed, but if you are going to appoint someone who has never captained in domestic matches and hasn't been tested, what is the point of testing Rizwan, Shaheen, and others for captaincy in domestic competitions? I think we are back in 2019 when Babar was made captain without being tested in domestic cricket.
Pakistan Cricket works in weird ways, Waqar Younis when given the job by Naqvi was on a separate mission to what the PCB bigwigs had in mind. They both played each other.

Waqar (with Misbah) stuffed in 3 captains (Shaheen, Rizwan and Shadab) in order to continue that chawwal supremacy that is detrimental to Pakistan cricket already. The other 2 (Harris and Saud) were most likely forced in by the PCB through Kirsten

In any case, cricket board should announce the next captain immediately. Why are they waiting for? I mean where is your vice captain? And what is the use of vice captain if you do not want to use him in these situations.
I remember 2007 time when inzi retired from captaincy after disastrous performance in WC 07 and PCB appointed shoaib malik as next captain instead of younis khan who was made vice captain for 3-4 years under inzi. Really the chairman of PCB is always a clown character. We hardly get any good chairman who can think on logic
We change chairman like socks.

Your expecting professionalism from a bunch of clowns.

There is the problem with your expectations.

Pakistan Cricket works in weird ways, Waqar Younis when given the job by Naqvi was on a separate mission to what the PCB bigwigs had in mind. They both played each other.

Waqar (with Misbah) stuffed in 3 captains (Shaheen, Rizwan and Shadab) in order to continue that chawwal supremacy that is detrimental to Pakistan cricket already. The other 2 (Harris and Saud) were most likely forced in by the PCB through Kirsten
Waqar was not very effective during the later part of his playing career either, with only a few good performances while being dominated by opposing batsmen in most matches. He seemed to suffer from an inferiority complex regarding Wasim Akram and often engaged in internal politics to secure the captaincy. He hasn’t changed much; as a coach, he is extremely below average. I remember how the Australian board rejected his application to become the Australian bowling coach, despite his strong desire to be part of that setup, even though he holds Australian nationality. Nobody can deny his greatness in the first half of his playing career, but the CA clearly understands his limitations as a tactician and coach

2012 India was under strength.

2021 was fatigue.

No other eras of 12 years of losses was due to anything else. They lost those games at full strength.

What on earth is your issue with this?
The ipl finished this year on 26th May and the World T20 started 1st June.

Why don't you believe fatigue is an issue this year.???

Is it because they won. :bumble2

The ipl finished this year on 26th May and the World T20 started 1st June.

Why don't you believe fatigue is an issue this year.???

Is it because they won. :bumble2
I don't control fatigue. Regardless you shpuld be happy.

2023 Australia put a full strength India in their rightful place.

2017 pakistan put full strength India in their rightful place.

And your not surprised people have picked Rizwan?
I would pick Rizwan, he is the only one deserves to be captain now . He is an experienced player , with captaincy experience also and the only one who has been performing among the batters and the best keeper Pakistan had for long time .

It is the right time for Rizwan to take over as captain. He is a world class player who is in the prime of his career and one of the few shining lights in what is a very difficult period for Pakistan cricket.

This also allows Babar to fully focus on his batting as he enters his peak years 30-34 and re-establish himself as a top 3 batsman in the world and the GOAT batsman in Pakistan history.

I fully support and endorse this decision but I am disappointed with the persistence with a proven failure like Shan Masood notwithstanding the fact that I firmly believe that Pakistan will beat England in the upcoming series.

It is the right time for Rizwan to take over as captain. He is a world class player who is in the prime of his career and one of the few shining lights in what is a very difficult period for Pakistan cricket.

This also allows Babar to fully focus on his batting as he enters his peak years 30-34 and re-establish himself as a top 3 batsman in the world and the GOAT batsman in Pakistan history.

I fully support and endorse this decision but I am disappointed with the persistence with a proven failure like Shan Masood notwithstanding the fact that I firmly believe that Pakistan will beat England in the upcoming series.
I appreciate the enthusiasm and I'm not a prediction guru, Anything can happen so theirs no way for me to say if pakistan will win or not.

But it's extremely unlikely that it'll happen. Team is at an all time low confidence so even if they had superior skills which they don't, It won't happen.

But cricket is a bewafa sport, anything can happen. Can't say.

Babar Azam has one of the meekest body language I have ever seen from a player heralded as a superstar batsman. Reflects in both batting and captaincy. Batting wise he is extremely talented and skillful. However doesn’t seem to have the fight in him.

Unless we see a Babar 2.0 who takes the game by the scruff of the neck, this is it, I feel. Full disclaimer: I am not jealous of Babar Azam’s talent or triggered by any Kohli comparisons

Jason Gillespie during an interview with a sports media outlet:

"Babar Azam had initial discussions with white ball coach Gary Kirsten."

"While captaining your country is a huge honor, Babar is selfless and decided what is in the best interest of both Pakistan and himself to step aside and let someone else lead."

I hope now Mohammad Rizwan won't disappoint the PCT fans as potential new captain.

A rule of thumb in Pakistan cricket is that the captain should be the best player on the team. And that’s it, full stop.
You’ve done that for 5 years

How has it turned out for Pakistan?

Then again, who is Pakistan’s best player in white ball cricket?

Guy was just not captain material. A couple of flukey T20 WC performances in 2021 and 22 made a few people think he's better than what he is (as a captain) but he just never had it him to lead an international side at the big stage.

Meek, timid body language and terrible orative skills...just what you don't need in your captain.

Fakhar will be a horrible captain, but a great mentor.

However nothing will change if the current system under naqvi continue to run filth.

However under fakhar if he's given complete control like babar was, then expect pakistan team to lose but head in the right direction.

He doesn't understand field settings but he understands aggressive cricket and batting.

Oh and I guarantee if given full control the first thing he's doing is removing rizwan from the face of the earth.

Fakhar will be a horrible captain, but a great mentor.

However nothing will change if the current system under naqvi continue to run filth.

However under fakhar if he's given complete control like babar was, then expect pakistan team to lose but head in the right direction.

He doesn't understand field settings but he understands aggressive cricket and batting.

Oh and I guarantee if given full control the first thing he's doing is removing rizwan from the face of the earth.
Tbh his agent will talk him out of removing Rizwan if he does actually want to do that. He might move him down the order and get proper middle order players in.

So where exactly pak full strength went missing after 2017 ? I remember 2 asia cup matches with out kohli, 1 yawning sarfaraz in 2019 , 228 runs loss and 7 wickets loss .

So where exactly pak full strength went missing after 2017 ? I remember 2 asia cup matches with out kohli, 1 yawning sarfaraz in 2019 , 228 runs loss and 7 wickets loss .
Stop with this where did this guy go or that guy go. I do not know where they went.

India is superior team to pakistan. I don't deny it. They were a superior team then too. None od this changes the fact that India has a record meme against a side that wasn't even suppose to be in CT in the first place.

Nothing will ever replace that L unless some side loses a final by a greater margin then 180 and that too by a no 8 or lower ranked side.

Don't blame me or question me about why India a clearly stronger and superior side decided to let pakistan walk all over them on that particular day.

Stop with this where did this guy go or that guy go. I do not know where they went.

India is superior team to pakistan.
Don't blame me or question me about why India a clearly stronger and superior side decided to let pakistan walk all over them on that particular day.
On one hand u say India is superior side past several years and other hand u says pak put India in rightful place meaning pak is much superior. So am asking you which is correct?

On one hand u say India is superior side past several years and other hand u says pak put India in rightful place meaning pak is much superior. So am asking you which is correct?
Pak putting India in their rightful place is a term/figure of speech. Not a literal implication.

If you wish to be literal, Indian fans had overglorified the CT acting like they'd had owned pakistan and knocked them out. Not only did pakistan stage the biggest comeback,

Just like 2023 where the press was prepared to give a historic Indian speech and not even account for the fact that The opposition would win the same happened in 2017.

All the Indian fans including the Indian players not only got a taste of their own medicine but they happened to receive an even bigger butchering then the ones they had committed on pak and aus in group stages of 2017 and 2023.

The butchering were so bad that Indians left the crowd way way way before the game even concluded. 2 to 3 hrs prior infact.

All your ego's were put in their rightful place.

2024 is the only time where you guys actually deserved a win because the curse had mentally hurt Indian players so much that even rohit started crying after winning semi's. 2024 was te first time Indian players didn't have an ego and actually played properly.

But it seems this ego has cone back, no worries. Karma will bully you again eventually.

Pak putting India in their rightful place is a term/figure of speech. Not a literal implication.

All your ego's were put in their rightful place.

2024 is the only time where you guys actually deserved a win because the curse had mentally hurt Indian players so much that even rohit started crying after winning semi's. 2024 was te first time Indian players didn't have an ego and actually played properly.

But it seems this ego has cone back, no worries. Karma will bully you again eventually.
So it's figure of speech for pak and not for Australia.
I don't think ego have to do anything with winning the cup as kiwis are nicest players and lostbwc final in the most cruel fashion
Let's see what karma will do.

So it's figure of speech for pak and not for Australia.
I don't think ego have to do anything with winning the cup as kiwis are nicest players and lostbwc final in the most cruel fashion
Let's see what karma will do.
Figure of speech for pak, Not for Australia no. Australia genuinely owns India in finals. Pak was a one off but it's a humilating one off for india that shall remain.

As for NZ, got nothing to do with Karma. Aus owns NZ too.

The karma thing was only for CT 2017. Not applicable for other teams as India and aus or any other team india has lost to in finals don't have beef between the 2 nations.

Figure of speech for pak, Not for Australia no. Australia genuinely owns India in finals. Pak was a one off but it's a humilating one off for india that shall remain.
Am not sure about humiliation part bro. I am happy to accept we lost quite badly in ct which was held 7 years back, we learnt the lesson of attacking middle overs with aggressive bowlers and brought kuldeep/chahal/xyz. As long as we learnt the lesson and improve ourselves, it gives me peace, hope about future and stability.

Am not sure about humiliation part bro . I am happy to accept we lost quite badly in ct which was held 7 years back .we learnt the lesson of attacking middle overs with aggressive bowlers and brought kuldeep/chahal/xyz. As long as we learnt the lesson and improve ourselves ,it gives me peace ,hope about future and stability.
As an Indian fan I respect what you believe. Genuinely I do.

My goal has nothing to do with pakistan and I've made that clear.

I have 2 goals

No 1: To make sure that misinformation about rizwan, Babar and the current pak crop doesn't spread in this era and integrity of actual class pak players like saeed Anwar, yousaf, inzi or even slightly below par ones like ijaz ahmed remain.

No 2: To make it my duty that Indian fans know reality from fantasy and fantasy from reality. I am totally okay with Indian fans talking facts and numbers but the moments someone like Dhoni becomes a better then gilchrist or VVS laxman becomes a better player then Warner or Excuses about how a so called god got humbled by mcgrath shoe up, Then they have to deal with me.

Want to claim Sachin is the best odi player and top 5 test player of all time? Sure go for it. Want to claim he's the most complete ever and is a god but find excuses when mchrath turns him into a human? Then we have a bradman and mcgrath problem.

Otherwise India I'd a goat team and massively class team that every team needs to learn a thing or 2 about. Especially on how to dominate on foreign soil.

I know its the excuses you control.

You still haven't answered why fatigue was a factor in 2021 but not 2024?.

I know its the excuses you control.

You still haven't answered why fatigue was a factor in 2021 but not 2024?.
The reason being is that their bowlers like bumrah got injured for 2 years after that event so much so that their 2022 bowling attack was depleted and was a joke.

Poor fitness more or less. Indians themselves confirmed it and their injuries happening straight after confirm it.

No excuse for their batting though, It was rubbish then and besides their own home ground, it's been rubbish overseas for a while.

India is more or less a bowling unit overseas now, not a batting unit.

No bowlers means another 10 wicket England mauling.

Riz is currently the best choice with plenty of experience.

I wouldn't mind Fakhar either as he merits a place in all 3 formats.
Fakhar wouldn't make a good captain? He flunked LQ despite having the strongest team? He should be brought to test and given his t20 opening back only?

But if he's made captain I wouldn't mind

The reason being is that their bowlers like bumrah got injured for 2 years after that event so much so that their 2022 bowling attack was depleted and was a joke.

Poor fitness more or less. Indians themselves confirmed it and their injuries happening straight after confirm it.

No excuse for their batting though, It was rubbish then and besides their own home ground, it's been rubbish overseas for a while.

India is more or less a bowling unit overseas now, not a batting unit.

No bowlers means another 10 wicket England mauling.
That's the equivalent of me saying that the Pakistan 2003 WC attack that had Shoaib returning after a long injury lay off and Wasim, Waqar and Saeed anwar were done having retired after that tournament therefore we have an excuse for the result.

The real reason for that loss was because Razzaq dropped ten on 0 off Wasim at mid off which was a dolly as this was the era when the indians relied on him.

Fakhar wouldn't make a good captain? He flunked LQ despite having the strongest team? He should be brought to test and given his t20 opening back only?

The cupboard is bare so its Riz or Fakhar as he makes it as a player in all 3 formats.

I would of selected him for this home series versus England.

Salman Ali is the other 3 format player.

That's the equivalent of me saying that the Pakistan 2003 WC attack that had Shoaib returning after a long injury lay off and Wasim, Waqar and Saeed anwar were done having retired after that tournament therefore we have an excuse for the result.

The real reason for that loss was because Razzaq dropped ten on 0 off Wasim at mid off which was a dolly as this was the era when the indians relied on him.
I'm not saying India has an excuse.

They lost, they deserve said loss plain and simple. It's their fault at the end of the day.

However full strength is different.

2003 pakistan does not an excuse, but yes they were not at full strength, they were playing with injuries and players at the end of their rope. Especially saeed Anwar who lost all hope in cricket after 2001 and lost interest completely after his daughters death. It's a miracle he even managed that 100 againat India.

Theirs no excuse but pakistan wasn't at full strength. Razzaq is one example and factor but he is not the only factor.

No excuses =/= full strength.

Even current Pakistan isn't at full strength in odi or tests? They always choose the wrong sqaud? Like shan masood being captain and a no 3 lol.

Bro things are very different now. I think his name is being forwarded because Kirsten just doesn’t want to play in the manner old Pakistan mindset advisors want to go with. He knows you need a skipper who has to target 400 if you are asked to bat first against India and New Zealand.

Bro things are very different now. I think his name is being forwarded because Kirsten just doesn’t want to play in the manner old Pakistan mindset advisors want to go with. He knows you need a skipper who has to target 400 if you are asked to bat first against India and New Zealand.
Well then no choice really. Might as well go for it. We need a change anyway and having someone aggressive is the quota now.

No chance otherwise.

@mominsaigol

You saw how Misbah and Waqar tried to manipulate the viewers through the Champion’s cup. Selecting a venue where chasing was pretty much impossible (now Dew) and mediocre scores of 330 batting first being defended under lights.

Rubbish openers setting templates of seeing off the new ball for the first 5 overs and not looking to attack. Saving wickets in hand to target 100 in the last 10.

This just isn’t the cricket that we evidently saw in the recently concluded World Cup. Pakistan tracks are EVEN MORE FLATTER than Indian tracks. Scores of 330 will be chased in 40-45 overs if that’s what you are aiming for or trying to show Gary.

@mominsaigol

You saw how Misbah and Waqar tried to manipulate the viewers through the Champion’s cup. Selecting a venue where chasing was pretty much impossible (now Dew) and mediocre scores of 330 batting first being defended under lights.

Rubbish openers setting templates of seeing off the new ball for the first 5 overs and not looking to attack. Saving wickets in hand to target 100 in the last 10.

This just isn’t the cricket that we evidently saw in the recently concluded World Cup. Pakistan tracks are EVEN MORE FLATTER than Indian tracks. Scores of 330 will be chased in 40-45 overs if that’s what you are aiming for or trying to show Gary.
I want an aggressive approach however your best batter is not your best captain or your most aggressive either?

Sarfraz doesn't even a sliver of talent that fakhar zaman does with the bat yet as a captain he's our 3rd greatest captain in history only behind YK and Ik and honestly him vs YK is debatable.

YK in t20 is useless yet was our greatest captain.

Now imagine if we made saeed Anwar our captain? We even made yousaf captain once?

I'm fine with fakhar being captain because it means a return to opening, but still?

The issue is shadab has zero form and it'll cause a rukus and a mike breadly captain doesn't work in this era. It's not the 60's and 70's anymore.

But logically shadab is your best captain captaincy wise. But because of the whole nexus drama he'll play the same rubbish. He'll bring the best put of said rubbish but rubbish is still rubbish.

The other option is saim who's way too young?

Fakhar is logically your best bet, however I'm telling you it isn't your best option but sadly it's your only option.

Younis Khan is Pakistan's unsung hero. This guy did everything to disassociate himself from Misbah's brand of cricket and whilst he's known for being hot headed, he had a lot of patience to endure all those interviews when he was compared with that fraud.

After he retired with Misbah, it turned into "MisYou", but the reality is no one misses Misbah, everyone misses Younis Khan.

It would be a gift from Mohsin Naqvi and will be a good redemption arc after making a bad decision of bringing babar back.

If Salman Ali Agha can be considered then why not Fakhar Zaman? He has not one any good with Lahore Qalanders and has no much experience in that role but PCB can do anything so we expect out-of-the-box names.

In the last 1.5 years:
- # of resignations from captaincy: 2
- # of centuries: 0

Fakhar should have been captaining a PSL team. Your best players need opportunities to captain so that they are always alternative captaincy options. Babar should have been captaining a PSL team before he got international captaincy so we could see how good he was. Lahore definitely has had changing captains in this time, they could have easily gone with fakhar. I wouldn’t change Shaheen now, but I do kind of feel it’s a little pointless with Shaheen just because an injury prone, extremely tall fast bowlers is not a realistic choice for international captaincy as he’ll have to be rested too much and manage his workload.

But also at the same time, I kind of think of fakhar really wanted captaincy in PSL he would have got it by now. I don’t think he did, or at least two shy to make it known he wants it.

But don’t really want another player in before he’s captained in domestic properly. As seen by Babar it’s not worth it. Get someone in who is already known for their captaincy prowess at this point. Plus fakhar is 5 years older than Babar, I don’t know how long he can realistically captain for, and we can’t afford him learning for 2 or so years because of his age.

Saud needs to take over Quetta captaincy too now. It’s not in Pakistan’s best interest to have a foreign captain in PSL when we have so few teams.

Aaqib Javed speaking during an interview on a TV show:

“One option for captaincy is Mohammad Rizwan, but the way Fakhar Zaman is performing, when we think about captaincy, especially in the context of ODI cricket, it's important to note that he has had really good performances. Babar Azam has also performed well, and so has Fakhar Zaman. In the World Cup, the problem we were facing is that the best player was rested, but even now, if Fakhar opens, he’s your best option. Across all of Pakistan, if there’s anyone who is the best white-ball opener, it’s absolutely him. So, you can think about him as an option.”

Aaqib Javed speaking during an interview on a TV show:

“One option for captaincy is Mohammad Rizwan, but the way Fakhar Zaman is performing, when we think about captaincy, especially in the context of ODI cricket, it's important to note that he has had really good performances. Babar Azam has also performed well, and so has Fakhar Zaman. In the World Cup, the problem we were facing is that the best player was rested, but even now, if Fakhar opens, he’s your best option. Across all of Pakistan, if there’s anyone who is the best white-ball opener, it’s absolutely him. So, you can think about him as an option.”
While I like Fakhar and I also understand Aqiv's bias for him because of Lahore Qalandars connection. My only concern is that we haven't seen Fakhar captain much in any stage. Not in PSL. Not in domestic.

Right now Pakistan doesn't need someone who has to learn captaincy. Team has suffered enough already. If they want the captain to learn on the job then it's best to do it with a young player. Someone who can serve Pakistan for a very long time.

Back