Bangladesh v England | 1st Test | Chittagong | 12-16/3/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geordie Ahmed

Hall of Famer
Runs
Bangladesh won the toss and have chosen to field

England hand Michael Carberry and Steve Finn debuts

Go the mighty 'Desh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt they can beat South Africa though

Looks like a pancake. South Africa will post 500+ in 1.5 days.

:)) :)) @ South Africa..

Why would Bangladesh win the toss and bowl first? silly decision from Shakib.

Shakib doing a Ponting with the fielding. What an awful decision (and as Boycs might say a 'nice man')

Anyway, I've woken up to a very rosy picture. Cook's dream tour continues with his 11th test hundred on the first afternoon, and even KP has made it into the thirties. 216/2

*Kevin Pietersen(rhb) 34 44 6 0
Alastair Cook(lhb) 102 148 9 2

I'm also going to back our team selection. going in with 5 bowlers would have featured Broad batting as 7 and that's just a bit cack

we should be looking at 400 for the day, 100 for KP and 150 for Cook. Bangladesh have been appalling today.

260/2 after 63 overs

KP onto 59* Cook 120*

400 by close of play??

10 fours for KP now, I KNOW ITS ONLY BANGLADESH but this is his best test innings in an embarassingly long while. my man though, knew that when it mattered he'd come through

takes 16 off the over, 94 off 120, now beginning to dominate and threatening to overtake Cook!

KP :)))

Anyway, South Africa A playing very well, didn't know Bangladesh would be struggling against South Africa's second string side. Oh well :D

ouch! I thought that was a decent delivery to give a man on 99 though, not all KP's fault

Poor stuff from Bangladesh. Shakib makes the wrong call after the toss AGAIN! How can one not want to bat first in these conditions?

I think the toss should take a back seat at this stage, there is clearly a gulf in class between the sides.

KP been out loads of times in the nineties, just like all the great players.

Cook onto 143 off 213, 13 four and 2 six. increasingly looking like one of those massive match-winning captain's innings. at this point they will be intent on batting once in this match, and Cook must go above and beyond his previous high score of 160 (220+) if that is to happen.

Whippy said:
KP been out loads of times in the nineties, just like all the great players.

It's his 5th so he's joining an exclusive club.

The record is 9 I think, Steve Waugh holds it perhaps?

I know for Pak Inzi had 7 but a couple may have been not outs.

pretty sure SRT has had a few 90s and even 99s

your average is still just as good

excellent day's play, 3 points of concern for England prior to the game were having a good start to the series, KP's form and how to take 20 wickets with injuries, and two have been addressed. Bat tomorrow for the declaration then tear them apart.

Bangladesh. Just when you think they're on the way up they completely and utterly capitulate.

Poison said:
Bangladesh. Just when you think they're on the way up they completely and utterly capitulate.

You're man Shakib bowled 21 overs, 0-80 :afridi

Truly the best all rounder in the world.

Whippy said:
Bat tomorrow for the declaration then tear them apart.

Nothing less than two massive wins will do here for England. This sorry lot have to be demolished.

Whippy said:
I think the toss should take a back seat at this stage, there is clearly a gulf in class between the sides.

Bangladesh should not be playing test cricket. The only reason they do is to give the Indians a bigger voting bloc at the ICC.

Of their 64 tests, I think they have 3 wins and 53 losses, 30 of those by an innings. The wins were against Zimbabwe and WI (crippled at the time by a player dispute and fielding a 2nd XI).

Compare that record to Pakistan - who started winning tests almost straight away.

Last edited:
it's difficult to argue with those statistics. all the Bangladesh supporters who challenged my opinion before the series that they are the worst team ever haven't been posting since the first ODI.

we haven't played them in a test for five years, and their team today was no better (if not worse) than five years ago. lots of improvement and development from within as you can see. surely the excuses are running out for the 'bangladeshi supporters of continuing test status' group. I would say they have gone backwards - they thought nobody else would get better as they tried to emerge themselves, but India, SA, England and Sri Lanka have all vastly improved since 2007 and Australia are still a quality side. if the aformentioned teams are in the top tier of test cricket, and WI/NZ/Pakistan are in the 2nd tier, then Bangladesh belong in their own 3rd tier.

Last edited:
Robert said:
Of their 64 tests, I think they have 3 wins and 53 losses, 30 of those by an innings. The wins were against Zimbabwe and WI (crippled at the time by a player dispute and fielding a 3rd XI).

The bold part is relevant to both defeated opponents, remember Zimbabwe had been hit by a mass strike by their greedy top players and their team was basically made up of a group of schoolboys.

Cook was saying England are not underestimating the Bangles who "have some very dangerous players".

Err, no mate, they don't.

Robert said:
Nothing less than two massive wins will do here for England. This sorry lot have to be demolished.

Bangladesh should not be playing test cricket. The only reason they do is to give the Indians a bigger voting bloc at the ICC.

Of their 64 tests, I think they have 3 wins and 53 losses, 30 of those by an innings. The wins were against Zimbabwe and WI (crippled at the time by a player dispute and fielding a 2nd XI).

Compare that record to Pakistan - who started winning tests almost straight away.

Teams like India, Sri lanka and New zealand struggled when they were 1st given test status.

Amjid Javed said:
Teams like India, Sri lanka and New zealand struggled when they were 1st given test status.

As I recall, SL managed to upstage England at Lord's just three years after getting test status.

India managed to beat England just three years after the Raj ended.

NZ were rubbish until Sir Richard Hadlee came along, of course.

Shocking decision!

Shakib & Jamie’s decision to bowl on a batsman friendly wicket belies logic.

I have mentioned in another post that it is matter of serious concern of BD when it comes to Game plan and strategy.

Ii appears neither Jamie nor Shakib had learnt from their mistakes.

They had made a similar mistake in the Third One Dayer where despite winning the toss chose to field first and no wonder lost by a big margin.

I am not saying BD is going to win or even draw with England.

Realistically England are far superior in terms of Batting, Bowling and fielding and one can see that very clearly the first and last one Dayers though I think it was more of tactical blunder that BD lost the third one by deciding to field first.

With BD's lack luster pace attack no team can expect to do well against a quality opposition like England. Shahadat and rookie Rubel is no match for their counterparts.

The spinning department which was expected to unsettle the English Batsmen has been disappointing so far as the wickets prepared to aid the spinners has not been responsive.

BD batting is not as weak as their pace bowling or woeful fielding department. Quite a few of the batsmen are talented and skilled and capable of giving the opposition a run for their money. Problem is lack of consistency, stability and proper game plan. When they look settled and set for a good score a sudden rush of blood cause their undoing.

Still I think if they can put their heads down, graft and pace their innings and bat responsibly with a proper game plan (Jamie needs to sharpen his skills and tell his charges exactly their game plan and refrain from saying things like play your natural game) then we might expect some wonders from BD.

However as it stands now England are strongly placed and a score of 550 – 600 is on the cards unless BD spinners can weave some spin magic.

This will put a lot of pressure on BD batsmen.

TBH, English batting and fielding by default seems to be their real strength.

The bowling either pace or spin has been okay but nothing extraordinary or exceptional.

If today, second day the pitch favors spin , we might see different developments. Still I think England will easily score 500 or more.

TBH, I am surprised at Shakib’s Captaincy and Jamie’s lack of game plan and team strategy. It has hurt the team in the past. It is still hurting the team.

I am sorry to say BD hardly suffered from this aspect under Head coach Dav Whatmore.

Realistically England should easily win. It remains to be seen how much BD is able to reduce the margin of victory of England.

Last edited:
Bangladesh is a good side but still lacking qualities to win test matches against Top nations (like England) ..Countries like India when got test status they played very less test matches around 30 in 20 years and most of test was drawn and so, you can't judge the performance on the basis of that ..Bangla played around 64 matches in 10 years which is quite decent now ....If the no. of draw test is more then also you can say they are going in right direction but loss % is very high and even lots of an inning loss..

I am not in favor of removing test status from Bangla ...coz that would be the loss of cricket only....but ICC should think of 1st tier and 2nd tier test championship where top 5 or 4 will play each other and below 4 or 5 play each other and then the best tier 2 team can play Tier 1 teams in 2 or 3 years basis...in this way the interest will increase too...

and about this test match ..England will win very easily and its seems Cook is in those category of players who give best shot when captaining ....

If Bangla able to draw this test ...I will be very happy ...but that's not going to happen as per the match status...

My man is leading the attack well...Men against boys...Broad bowling short of a length and on-target removes Siddique and Kayes without much trouble, and Tamim could have easily put the side in further trouble with a wild crash at a wide one in the last over before tea.

Bresnan is not test class, been saying it for years.

and once again (so far) Tamim seems to be the lone star in this Bangladesh lineup.

Tamim looking out of place in the Bang line up

Too classy for the rest

bowling attack not looking particularly amazing.

still a pretty much impregnable position, 3 more quick wickets and they've 'ad it

got Mahmudullllahhah. Broad and Swann look the only two bowlers capable of pressure, let alone wickets. another couple before stumps would be nice.

Shakib's poor innings comes to an end with only a few overs remaining.

England clearly on top. Bangladesh 149/5

pfffft...VERY long delay from 3rd umpire on a catch at silly point and nightwatchman got away with it. I think it was out, as do the commies.

mastermind_quad said:
Bangladesh is a good side

Oh, hardly - they are about as good as a second-division English county side. An England side missing Strauss, with a new skipper and KP horribly out of form prior to this match, have raced to 599, and are bowling the Bangles out cheaply with just two test-class bowlers. Most of their top-order batters don't seem to be able to play the short ball, and it's not as though they are facing Waqar or Donald.

Sorry, but Bangladesh devalue test cricket.

Good sense prevails on Jamie

Finally Jamie understood the simple fact that Mahmudullah was worth playing at a higher position than # 8. That it took so long for him to fathom is incomprehensible. Such poor vision and thinking being a head Coach .Mahmudullah did not set the Thames to fire but made a good fifty and more importantly he delivered when it mattered most.

Tactical Blunder

Why on earth did Shakib come ahead of Rahim?

Technically and defensewise Rahim is far better than Shakib. He puts a price on his wicket and does not go for unneccesary risk.

Shameful act by Shakib with an unnecessary shot and he has himself to blame.

BD has a long tail with present batting line up

With the exception of Rubel pretty much everyone can bat a bit. Both Shahadat and Razzaq can contribute with some desparately needed runs. Whether they will apply themselves is a diffferent story.

Steady support needed from Shahadat

BD is in dire straits at 154 for 5

Shahadat has proven expereince as an effective nigfht watchman.

He neeeds to stick around and give as much support toTamim as possible.

Tamim has done all the hard work. No need for any unneccesary risks.

BD till has 5 batsmen to come.

Last edited:
Follow on - Can it be avoided?

If the present pair and the rest play sensibly and responsibly it may stlll be possible to avoid a follow on . It all depends on their game plan, Self Belief.

But in cricket anything can happen and BD batsmen are known for their unpredictabilties.

Let's see what happens.

Bangladesh will fold under 300 if Tamim doesn't get support from the other end. As the match stands, its obvious England will be enforcing the follow-on when the time comes.

Tamim stands tall amid ruins

When three of your top order falls below 10 and the captain indulges in a rash shot when it was required for him to show patience you cannot expect much from a team .

My question to Jamie who is Head coach (Batting coach as well) is what he has been teaching his charges? Disgusting performance. Their should be acountablity for everyone as they are paid to do a job.

If these top order flop masters were not qualified then why were they selected?

BD is the only cricketing country where I guess their is no accountability of Coach, Captain, Players . They consider that their places are guaranteed, so why bother. Consequently they are getting away with it.

No wonder BD's progress is slow.

Anyway, Congrats to Tamim for his school boy treatment of English bowlers that reflected in his masterly and unconquered 81 in a crisis situation.

His score of 81 in 115 balls with 13 fours and 1 six reflects his absolute dominance over English bowlers as they were belted to all parts of the ground with utter disdain. He is indeed a world class batsman.

One hopes that he is able to end up with a century under his belt and stay as long as possible.

Last edited:
Khabri420 said:
its obvious England will be enforcing the follow-on when the time comes.

I don't think so, with just one test-class quick bowler on a flat deck in the heat. Chef will want to rest Broad. They'll come out and blast a quick 250 and leave the Bangles to bat six sessions.

Tamim is a class act. I reckon PCB needs to hold talks with BCB . . and unite the teams. Our bowling, Their batting.

Yaser said:
Tamim is a class act. I reckon PCB needs to hold talks with BCB . . and unite the teams. Our bowling, Their batting.

We are not that bad. Bar Tamim the rest of their team is utter rubbish.

Poison said:
We are not that bad. Bar Tamim the rest of their team is utter rubbish.
Their batting is far more solid than what we have. Kayes, Mahmudullah, Shakib > Afridi et al, are just as predictable as ours - though they have shown in recent matches they are capable of competing against the best. as for Ours, i give up . . :butt :farhat :faisal

LOL.

I know you usually post crap but Imrul Kayes and Mahmudullah better than our current Test middle order (Yousuf, Younis, Umar, Kamran)? Are you on drugs?

Yaser said:
Nice idea. But won't and shouldn't happen.

A Pak-Bangla XI would look like this:
Tamim Iqbal
Salman Butt
Younus Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Mahmudullah
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim+
Mohammad Aamir
Umar Gul
Mohammad Asif
Danish Kaneria

bullseye7 said:
Anyway, Congrats to Tamim for his school boy treatment of English bowlers that reflected in his masterly and unconquered 81 in a crisis situation.

His score of 81 in 115 balls with 13 fours and 1 six reflects his absolute dominance over English bowlers as they were belted to all parts of the ground with utter disdain. He is indeed a world class batsman.

With a test average of 36 in an era of flat decks and weak fast bowling? I remain unconvinced.

Having said that, he did very well today and deserves a century tomorrow.

Equinox said:

Tamim Iqbal
Salman Butt
Younus Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Mahmudullah
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim+
Mohammad Aamir
Umar Gul
Mohammad Asif
Danish Kaneria

Erm. Lets try something more like:

Tamim
Salman
Younus
Yousuf
Umar Akmal
Fawad Alam
Kamran Akmal
Aamir
Gul
Asif
Kaneria

You think Mushfiqur is better than Kamran? Pfft, he dropped about 8 catches in this series so far. And Kamran is a better batsman. As is Fawad Alam, who doesn't collapse under pressure when his team needs him *cough*Shakib*cough*

Poison said:
LOL.

I know you usually post crap but Imrul Kayes and Mahmudullah better than our current Test middle order (Yousuf, Younis [BANNED!], Umar, Kamran [our verry own paddy power, with his sidekick])? Are you on drugs?
Equinox said:

Tamim Iqbal
Imrul Kayes
Fawad Alam [c]
Umar Akmal
Mahmudullah
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim/ Sarfraz +
Mohammad Aamir
Rubel Hossain
Mohammad Asif
Saeed Ajmal
fixed
---

Last edited:
I don't know what you're trying to prove with your outlandish statements, but quite frankly its worrying. Umar is multiple classes above any Bangladeshi batsman, probably the closest to par with him is Tamim.

And Yousuf and Younis are not banned :inti

Poison said:
I don't know what you're trying to prove with your outlandish statements, but quite frankly its worrying. Umar is multiple classes above any Bangladeshi batsman, probably the closest to par with him is Tamim.

And Yousuf and Younis are not banned :inti

We know who he'll be supporting on May 1st :afridi

Right forgot about Umar. He should be there. Mushfiq and Kamran are about equal although Mushfiq has been very consistent witht the bat lately. And if we go with one spinner Shakib>Kaneria anyday. There was no turn on Day 1 at all and England took full advantage of that. If England bat again you'll see Shakib ripping the English batsmen apart.

Last edited:
Poison said:
Erm. Lets try something more like:

Tamim
Salman
Younus
Yousuf -- banned ..

Umar Akmal
Fawad Alam
Kamran Akmal -- a disease - how many more matchfixers do we need before we rid it ?
Aamir
Gul
Asif
Kaneria - i'd rather play Malik instead . .

You think Mushfiqur is better than Kamran? Pfft, he dropped about 8 catches in this series so far. And Kamran is a better batsman. As is Fawad Alam, who doesn't collapse under pressure when his team needs him *cough*Shakib*cough*
--

That will be Salman's idea of a captain's knock, if he gets the job.

Robert said:
With a test average of 36 in an era of flat decks and weak fast bowling? I remain unconvinced.

Having said that, he did very well today and deserves a century tomorrow.

He has done consistently well against all oppositions both at home and abroad . He was initially a Master Blaster of pace. But in the last six months he is able to develop great skills in strangling the spinners as well and he credits this newly learnt skill to fielding coach Salauddin.

You can check Tamim's batting power and performance at Mycrickethighlights.com where highlights are available for series involving BD and others both abroad and overseas . You can find some at google as well.

Many of you guys may not know about Tamim's batting onslaught against Shane Bond to all parts of the ground in a practice match against New Zealand prior to World cup 2007 . He made some 40 odd runs but convinced selectors that he was ready for the big occasion . And we all know how he belted the seasoned Indian pacers to all parts of the ground and announced to the world that a star was born.

Another landmark of his innings is a new Bangladhesh record that he created with Junaid Siddiq for the first wicket in New Zealand some years back in a bouncy pitch.

Tamim is solid stuff. Home or overseas he is equally capable and dangerous.

Do not worry about Stats mate . It has already started swelling and will reach dizzy heights by end of this year.

Gavaskar, Shastri, Shivrama, Arun Lal, New Zealand Ex players and commentators and English Commentators Bob Willis, Atherton, Bumble all rate him very highly and so do Ian Chappel.

Equinox said:
Right forgot about Umar. He should be there. Mushfiq and Kamran are about equal although Mushfiq has been very consistent witht the bat lately. And if we go with one spinner Shakib>Kaneria anyday. There was no turn on Day 1 at all and England took full advantage of that. If England bat again you'll see Shakib ripping the English batsmen apart.

:))) :))) :)))

bullseye7 said:
Tamim is solid stuff. Home or overseas he is equally capable and dangerous.

Hmmm. We'll see when he has to face Anderson in England in May.

Robert said:
Hmmm. We'll see when he has to face Anderson in England in May.

Tamim will easily conquer Anderson as he had conquered the most feared bowlers of the world with ease. Who knows he mght end up with a contract with one of the counties(lol!)

I am not undermining Anderson. Huge talent. He is the most improved English fast bowler. I still remember his outstanding 4 wickets haul against Pakstan in 2003 World cup that knocked them out.

Take a look at Tamim's 125 against England in the first One dayer. Pure magic and class. Ref : Mycrickthighlights.com.

Another of his class act was in the last tour of Australia where Bangladesh was skittled out for a small total in a One dayer. But Tamim breathed fire all over the place . Johnson, Hopes and co were smashed to all parts of the ground in utter disdain. He scored 45 odd runs or so, but established the fact that he was the boss and in control.

bullseye7 said:
Tamim will easily conquer Anderson as he had conquered the most feared bowlers of the world with ease.

Well, that's Steyn at present, and Tamin averages 12 against SA. It would appear that Steyn conquered Tamim with ease.

Look, your boy obviously has batting talent - it's not his record I have an issue with - rather your hyperbole regarding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back