Bangladesh v Pakistan | 3rd ODI | Chittagong | 06/12/11 | Pre-Match Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawad2010

T20I Debutant
Runs
With the series in the bag, I think its time to experiment!

Hafeez
Shafiq
Akmal
YK (C)
Malik
Misbah
Afridi
Sarfraz (K)
Khalil
Gul
Ajmal

Gul and Hafeez should be rested in the dead rubber

Misbah is a safe captain. He won't change too much. Farhat and Tanvir may get replaced :30: :59:

Last edited:
Hafeez
Afridi
Younis
U. Akmal
Asad
Misbah
Sarfraz
Rehman
Ajmal
Cheema
Khalil

Gul to rest!

I would so love to see this team! A team without Tanvir, Farhat and Malik would look so good! But I fear that they wont bench Malik just yet! :facepalm:

Last edited:
this should be the team for 3rd ODI

Hafeez
Asad
Umar
Misbah
Malik
Afridi
Sarfaraz
Rehman
Ajmal
Cheema
Khalil

rest YK & Gul, drop Tanvir & Farhat...

I think that Nasir guy can give us proper troubles during the Test series. We have been poor against him so far.

Cheema in for tanvir. asad in for farhat. open with Hafeez n Afridi. let asad bat at 3. with yk to follow then umer.

Chittagong is Bangladesh's lucky ground. Won 5 out of the last 7 matches there I think.

Rehman in for Ajmal
Khalil in for Tanvir
Aizaz in for Gul
Shafiq in for Farhat/Malik

Hafeez
Asad Shafiq
Sarfraz Ahmad
Umar Akmal
Shahid Afridi
Younus Khan
Misbah ul Haq
Abdur Rehman
Mohammad Khalil
Aizaz Cheema
Saeed Ajmal

change the batting order, experiment with it, send umar akmal and afridi both higher, afridi bats much better when he has alot of overs to bat, he can take his time, if he fails then we have other players suck as younus and misbah to take care and misbah can do some big hitting late

Nasir alone made 100, while the whole Bangladesh team managed 72 runs, 14 coming from extras :facepalm: I have a feeling Nasir will shine with the ball this time. As a PP legend been mentioning, after every wicket stadium lights will turn off and Nasir will make Undertaker signatures. DX - Break it down.

Hafeez, Malik, Shafiq, Umar, Misbah, Afridi, Sarfraz, Rehman, Khalil, Cheema & Gul

Would go with the above team. Perfect :) - REST AJMAL! DROP FARHAT. LET MALIK OPEN. NO YK. UMAR UP THE ORDER. REHMAN GETS A GAME AFTER AGES. NO TANVIR. CHEEMA IS BACK. GUL TO CARRY RHYTHM THROUGH :)

Im guessing all eyes on :afridi to see if he can take the 5 wicket haul to became the leading ODI wicket taker of 2011 inshallah!

Apart from that nothing really to care about in this game :p

How about Umer Akmal and Afridi open and Hafeez comes in down the order as a pinch hitter... :D

Will Like To Have 4 Changes

Tanveer Out > Cheema In
Gul Rest > Khalil In :khalil
Farhat Out > Shafiq In :shafiq
Ajmal Rest > Rehman In

Hafeez
Asad
Akmal
Misbah
Afridi
Younus
Malik\Rehman
Sarfaraz
Ajmal
Gul
Khalil

Hafeez
Sarfraz (wk)
Asad
Umar
Malik
Misbah (c)
YK
Afridi
Rehman
Cheema
Khalil

We need to give some young guys a shot at building an innings, not just finishing it off quickly. Also need to see where we stand with Malik, give him a shot to fail or get some runs either way. Gul and Ajmal need to be rested before the two tests and the more important England tour. Farhat/Tanvir dropped. We should not be taking this game too lightly, BD have a good record at this ground.

Rest Gul, and bring in Mohammad Khalil

Kick out Malik for Asad
Kick out Tanvir for cheema

I dont know who else is on the tour who hasnt had a game yet

Well with the series in the bag , I think misbah and YK and tanvir should rest

Hafeez(c)
Imran
Umar Akmal
Asad shafiq
Malik (his last game)
sarfaraz
Afridi
Ajmal
Khalil
gul

And the 11th , damn we only have one extra batsman in the squad and three bowlers remhman ,khalil and cheema? :facepalm:
Guess misbah will have to play :p

The squad is so bad that it is difficult to play an ok team. Guys like Younis don' t want to rest because they don' t want other players to emerge in their place.

My playing XI :

Mohammad Hafeez
Imran Farhat
Asad Shafik
Umar Akmal
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Sarfraz Ahmed
Sohail Tanveer
Abdur Rehman
Aizaz Cheema
Mohamad Khalil

The squad is so bad that it is difficult to play an ok team. Guys like Younis don' t want to rest because they don' t want other players to emerge in their place.

My playing XI :

Mohammad Hafeez
Imran Farhat
Asad Shafik
Umar Akmal
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Sarfraz Ahmed
Sohail Tanveer
Abdur Rehman
Aizaz Cheema
Mohamad Khalil

Mohammad Hafeez
Asad Shafiq
Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
Umar Akmal
Misbah ul-Haq (c)
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Saeed Ajmal
Umar Gul
Aizaz Cheema
Muhammad Khalil

Why do I have Malik in the team? Because he's better than Farthead and Sohail "Wasim" Tanvir and there's no suitable replacement. You could replace him with Younis I guess but lets give him one last chance, for jokes.

I thought Khalil was itching for another shot....how come he didn't get a chance to play in the t20 or the first two odi's?

I thought Khalil was itching for another shot....how come he didn't get a chance to play in the t20 or the first two odi's?

Don't you know? Khalil couldn't have possibly taken the spot of the great Sohail "Wasim" Tanvir.

Let them get a pity win I say.

Nah, we already gave them one in 1999 although we can donate a another century to one of their batsman like we did with Nasir Hossain so the crowd can get something to cheer about

The changes i would make:

Malik out Shafiq in
Tanvir out Khalil In
Rest Ajmal and bring in Abdur Rehman

I fMalik cant perform in this match id seriously stop givin him mre chances.... he needs to fight for his place cause we got more deserving batsman in Asad, Azhar, Fawad, Hammad to name a few

If Pakistan beat Bangladesh we will have the record for greatest winning streak against a team, Right?

If Pakistan beat Bangladesh we will have the record for greatest winning streak against a team, Right?

I think u guys already do!!! 12 years without a win by bangladesh against pakistan.... :S (not that we win against other teams often either)

It'll impact our rating, We're Aiming for No.1 so We can't pity anyone nor can we underestimate anyone.

Agree

Also affects our confidence we need to win convincingly frm now on unlike the 2nd ODI

Match facts

Tuesday, December 6
Start time 1330 (0730 GMT)

Can Nasir Hossain inspire his team to put up a better show? © AFP
Enlarge
Related Links
Series/Tournaments: Pakistan tour of Bangladesh
Teams: Bangladesh | Pakistan
Big Picture

The fact that the third ODI is a dead rubber is hardly surprising. There has not been an ounce of competitiveness in each of the three games so far in this tour. Nasir Hossain's battling century in the second game in Mirpur wasn't enough to mask the bigger problem for Bangladesh - the batting. The overall reaction among passionate Bangladesh fans, going by feedback received by ESPNcricinfo, was not necessarily that of disappointment, but more specifically, anger. Some went as far as to question Bangladesh's right to participate at the international level. Their status as a Test nation has always been debated, though now fans have extended that discussion towards their ODI status too. Public memory is short. It's easy to forget that just over a year ago, Bangladesh thrashed a listless New Zealand 4-0 at home.
It's the failure of the batsmen that has deflated the team. All efforts on the field have been nullified by the top order collapses. They were dismissed for 91 in the first game and in the second, the chase was all but lost at 19 for 4. Bangladesh threw in the towel at that stage. Given the situation, Bangladesh did the best they could to salvage some pride by batting out the 50 overs. It didn't make a good advertisement for one-day cricket, but in the process they discovered what Nasir is capable of. A bit more support from the top order would've been handy though.

"The wicket was really good in the last game, but there were several dot balls," Mahmudullah said. "Shakib and Nasir played well, especially Nasir who has taught us some stuff, like how to be patient against this attack."

There are fewer concerns for Pakistan. However, they didn't have the best outing in the field for the second match, spilling catches off Nasir and Shakib Al Hasan. Shahid Afridi had a rare off-day with the ball, conceding 49 off 7 overs and failing to take a wicket. The final game gives them a chance to rest a couple of players and give everyone in the squad a chance.

Form guide

Bangladesh: LLWLL (most recent first)
Pakistan: WWWWW
In the spotlight...

Since his 128 against India in the 2009 Champions Trophy, Shoaib Malik has gone 14 innings without a fifty, with a highest of 39. He's been a shadow of the player he was when he was captain, and before. His bowling gives Pakistan another spin option, but he's in the team primarily as a batsman.
After hitting two half-centuries against Australia, Shahriar Nafees has done little of note, with the highest score of 14 in his last five ODIs. He has failed to recreate the kind of form he showed in 2006. It's been nearly five years since he scored an ODI century.

Team news

Pakistan are likely to make a couple of changes, dropping Imran Farhat and Sohail Tanvir, and bringing in Asad Shafiq and the left-arm seamer Mohammad Khalil.
Pakistan (probable) 1 Mohammad Hafeez, 2 Asad Shafiq, 3 Younis Khan, 4 Misbah-ul-Haq, (capt) 5 Umar Akmal, 6 Shoaib Malik, 7 Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), 8 Shahid Afridi, 9 Saeed Ajmal, 10 Umar Gul, 11 Mohammad Khalil.

Imrul Kayes is set to miss out due to a groin injury, and will be replaced by Alok Kapali or Naeem Islam. If the pitch takes more turn than the one in Mirpur, Bangladesh could field a spin-heavy attack at the expense of a fast bowler.

Bangladesh (probable) 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Shahriar Nafees, 3 Alok Kapali/Naeem Islam, 4 Mushfiqur Rahim (capt & wk), 5 Shakib Al Hasan, 6 Nasir Hossain, 7 Mahmudullah, 8 Abdur Razzak, 9 Elias Sunny, 10 Shafiul Islam, 11 Rubel Hossain.

Stats and trivia

Bangladesh have found boundaries hard to come by at the start of the innings. In the Twenty20, they scored their first in the ninth over, in the first ODI it came in the sixth, but the wait was the longest in the second ODI - it took them 11 overs.
Bangladesh have won both their day-night games at this venue, against England and West Indies.
Quotes

"Some of the youngsters who've come into the side have worked hard to make their spot worthy. All of us have set a goal that we will now need to raise the bar."
Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq
"The top order has no clue how to bat, and @ the moment it has left me clueless in regard to what I tweet next."
Former Bangladesh opener, now commentator Athar Ali Khan can't hide his disappointment while watching the second ODI

"Everyone says this is our lucky ground. Let's see what it can do for our fortunes. We have some good memories at this ground.
Mahmudullah points out a feel-good factor for his side to keep in mind

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-pakistan-2011/content/story/543841.html

Really looking forward to the following:

1. A century frm a Pakistani batsman or atleast an attempt at one ( Hafeez, Umar, preferably but even Younis, Misbah wud do)

2. Afridi picking up wickets to become the leading bowler this year in odis

3. Ajmal performing on spin friendly tracks nd showing some good form nd picking up mre than 3 wickets

4. More intensity nd preofessional approach ( no slack fieldng nd loose bowling when in control)

Hafeez
Shafiq
Younis
Misbah(c)
Umar Akmal (wk)
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Abdur Rehman
Saeed Ajmal
Mohammad Khalil
Aizaz Cheema

1. Mohammad Hafeez
2. Asad Shafiq
3. Shoaib Malik
4. YK
5. Misbah
6. Umar Akmal
7. Afridi
8. Sarfraz
9. Abdul Rehman
10. Aizaz Cheema
11. Mohammad Khalil

Umar Akmal is the only Pakistani batsman in the top 30 yet he is being pushed lower and lower down the order! Ideally he should be at 4 or 5!

Imrul Kayes is set to miss out due to a groin injury, and will be replaced by Alok Kapali or Naeem Islam. If the pitch takes more turn than the one in Mirpur, Bangladesh could field a spin-heavy attack at the expense of a fast bowler.

Alhumdullilah :moyo

I have a feeling Bangladesh will score lower than 58 and 78 this time, Chittagong is a heavy turner and our batsmen can't play either spin or pace, if DX doesn't stick around this will be Bangladesh's lowest score ever against an in form bowling attack.

CHITTAGONG_Pakistan_team_37176.jpg

1. Mohammad Hafeez
2. Asad Shafiq
3. Shoaib Malik
4. YK
5. Misbah
6. Umar Akmal
7. Afridi
8. Sarfraz
9. Abdul Rehman
10. Aizaz Cheema
11. Mohammad Khalil

Would be good to give everyone a chance and get a proper look at Malik. Wouldn't mind this side at all, although on this pitch with BD's record we will have to be on the top of our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back