Best first-class averages in Pakistan cricket

dblock

T20I Debutant
Runs
I would be quite interested to find the best first class average from all players in Pakistan past and present..

I'm not sure if such a list has been compiled and might require some research from PP'ers. So far the highest batting averages are :

Batting

Criteria : All time Pakistan (First Class) Batting Averages
Eligibility : 2000 runs in first class

HTML:
Fawad Alam         59.82
Javed Miandad      53.37
Hanif Mohammad     52.32
Zaheer Abbas       51.54
Younis Khan        51.38
Mohammad Yousuf    51.10
Misbah-ul-Haq      50.72
Hasan Raza         50.40
Inzamam-ul-Haq     50.10
Asif Mujtaba       49.39

Batting (as of 20 May, criteria: 20 FC games, eligible for national selection)

*Provided by Paradox

HTML:
Fawad Alam         56.29
Naved Yasin        54.05
Younis Khan        50.55
Misbah-ul-Haq      50.35
Mohammad Yousuf    49.76
Hasan Raza         49.41
Umar Akmal         49.40
Nasir Jamshed      44.51
Asad Shafiq        43.70
Sarfraz Ahmed      43.34
Aamer Sajjad       43.05
Adnan Raza         42.92
Saeed Bin Nasir    42.69
Khurram Manzoor    42.61
Mohammad Ayub      42.57
Ali Azmat          42.55
Salman Butt        42.43
Imran ****         42.04
Umar Amin          42.00
Zohaib Khan        42.00
Azhar Ali          40.42

Bowling (as of 20 May, criteria: 20 FC games, eligible for national selection)

HTML:
Samiullah Khan    19.12 
Zulfiqar Babar    20.19
Mohammad Rameez   20.21
Shahid Nazir      21.11 
Sarfraz Ahmed     22.38 
Mohammad Aslam    22.50
Mohammad Aamer    22.61
Jaffar Nazir      23.02 
Fahad Masood      23.04
Mohammad Hussain  23.13 
Naved Arif        23.27 
Rao Iftikhar      24.06 
Rana Naved        24.11
Najaf Shah        24.15
Aizaz Cheema      24.17 
Mohammad Asif     24.30 
Sohail Khan       24.31
Tariq Haroon      25.25
Abdur Rauf        25.29 
Azharullah        25.79 
Abdur Rehman      26.04
Danish Kaneria    26.15 
Shoaib Akhtar     26.26 
Umar Gul          27.45 
Sohail Tanvir     27.65
Saeed Ajmal       27.87

Probably an incomplete list, but just those whom I can recall with a 50+ average after a considerable amount of first class games.

Impressive average for Fawad Alam, increased after his two hundreds in the QEA.

A comparative first class bowling average list would be interesting! Feel free to add if you can do so.

Last edited:
abc_to_xyz said:
Where's butt?

Averages around 42, then again he is an opener.

Only other player who I could find with a 50+ average was Umar Akmal, but perhaps it's a bit early to include him as he doesn't even have 2000 FC runs yet.

This explain the quality and standard of the Pakistan domestic cricket where Fawad Alam is on the top of the list. This explain the bowling quality of our domestic cricket as well as the quality of the wickets which we use in our country.

This is one of the reason we are not able to find any quality batsman for the last 10-15 years.

Overall the whole thing is pathetic and disappointing.

Man.....there is Hasan Raza with pver 50 average....someone get him in the Pakistan's squad!!!!

Cover Drive said:
MoYo's test average is better than his FC average.
Like Zaid 65 said "This explain the quality and standard of the Pakistan domestic cricket where Fawad Alam is on the top of the list. This explain the bowling quality of our domestic cricket as well as the quality of the wickets which we use in our country.

This is one of the reason we are not able to find any quality batsman for the last 10-15 years.

Overall the whole thing is pathetic and disappointing."

I love these kind of PPers and statements

zaid65 said:
This explain the quality and standard of the Pakistan domestic cricket where Fawad Alam is on the top of the list. This explain the bowling quality of our domestic cricket as well as the quality of the wickets which we use in our country.

Or explains the fact the the poor guy hasn't got enough of a chance, and when he has (remember this is first class averages, not one day)...he scored 168 in his debut test.

If and when Fawad plays more tests you would expect that average to come down.

But he does seem to have the temperament and consistency of big scores which reflects in his average.

Amir said:
Or explains the fact the the poor guy hasn't got enough of a chance, and when he has (remember this is first class averages, not one day)...he scored 168 in his debut test.

Exactly. He outperformes all other batsmen, still doesn't get a chance. He is facing the same bowlers the rest are facing you know, and Malik and co aren't anywhere near the 50 mark.

InshAllah he will take his opportunity and do well for Pakistan in all forms of the game.

mindless slogging said:
Exactly. He outperformes all other batsmen, still doesn't get a chance. He is facing the same bowlers the rest are facing you know, and Malik and co aren't anywhere near the 50 mark.

InshAllah he will take his opportunity and do well for Pakistan in all forms of the game.

Personally I think they will go for Umar Akmal over him, but I would say he is next in line.

Certainly for me only one of Shoaib Malik or Misbah should be playing, they both can't play.

dblock said:
Personally I think they will go for Umar Akmal over him, but I would say he is next in line.

Certainly for me only one of Shoaib Malik or Misbah should be playing, they both can't play.

I know where you are coming from, but I have an issue with either of Misbah and Malik. Malik is not test-match level IMO.

Misbah is just too old. I think Misbah will get dropped for Umar Akmal, and Fawad will be made to open again.

The guy is a clear test-match no 5. Play him there. In ODI's, the same, but I feel he may not get a chance to cement a place in the side till Yousuf and Misbah (and maybe Younus) retire after the WC. He is being played around the team like a nobody, when he has the scores as anyone of them in domestic cricket.

PS I have a bad feeling that after the WC they may overlook him for Umar Amin, Ahmed Shahzad or some other new guy and he'll have to wait even longer. His chance is now, but only if he gets an opportunity.

Last edited:
Of the guys who have not had a chance at international level, I would have though Saeed Bin Nasir's averages will be quite high?

This is actually a pretty nice thread, we should update this whenever we get the chance to.

We'll make the qualifying criteria atleast 20 FC games.

And let's only put current players, not players of the past.. it'll save time, and give us a more clear indication of how those players are performing.

Or atleast only players who're still eligible for national selection.

Last edited:
Saj said:
Of the guys who have not had a chance at international level, I would have though Saeed Bin Nasir's averages will be quite high?
he avgs 42.66

Qualification: Minimum 20 FC Games, still eligible for national selection

HTML:
Fawad Alam         59.82
Mohammad Yousuf    51.10
Misbah-ul-Haq      50.72
Hasan Raza         50.40
Younis Khan        50.09
Nasir Jamshed      47.25
Sarfraz Ahmed      46.55
Umar Amin          45.57
Azhar Ali          43.92
Khurram Manzoor    43.13
Imran Farhat       42.83
Saeed Bin Nasir    42.66
Salman Butt        42.49
Faisal Iqbal       40.08

Last edited:
It's great that the national selectors don't choose squads on simply FC batting averages - otherwise the team would be full of Hasan Raza's and Farhat's right now! :))

Thanks for that list Paradox, I think we should keep it updated.

FC average is not the be all and end all, otherwise Rampakash and Hick would have been legends but still it's a good comparative assessment of players.

What about bowlers...that is much harder to do imo as there is relatively unknown guys like Samiullah Khan who average 19 or so..but would be interesting again to compile a list.

Also for the keepers..

Sarfraz Ahmed FC average 46
Kamran Akmal FC average 31

Good work Paradox.

Saeed Bin Nasir was unlucky that we had Inzamam and Yousuf at 4 and 5 for so many years and the Younus stepped into the team, otherwise who knows he could have become a regular in the team.

Saeed was playing league cricket in England this summer and I had a chat with him before he went back to Pakistan. Seemed like a nice guy, but obviously very disappointed that he had never been given a chance for Pakistan. We'll be interviewing him soon on PP.

dblock said:
Also for the keepers..

Sarfraz Ahmed FC average 46
Kamran Akmal FC average 31

Yeah. That's where it's all so misleading. Kamran is a much better batsman than that mediocre FC average of 31 suggests. Same with Afridi, Malik, etc.

Sarfraz's case is weird. His average is extremely high yet his highest score is a hundred odd. Too many not outs, I guess..

Paradox - pls tell us about yourself in the Introductions forum - thanks

Paradox said:
Yeah. That's where it's all so misleading. Kamran is a much better batsman than that mediocre FC average of 31 suggests. Same with Afridi, Malik, etc.

Sarfraz's case is weird. His average is extremely high yet his highest score is a hundred odd. Too many not outs, I guess..

Also Umar Akmal now has 27 games and averages 51..so I'll add your list to the OP with him in.

dblock said:
I would be quite interested to find the best first class average from all players in Pakistan past and present..

I'm not sure if such a list has been compiled and might require some research from PP'ers. So far the highest batting averages are :

(as at 18 October 2009)

HTML:
Fawad Alam         59.82
Javed Miandad      53.37
Zaheer Abbas       51.54
Mohammad Yousuf    51.10
Misbah-ul-Haq      50.72
Hasan Raza         50.40
Inzamam-ul-Haq     50.10
Younis Khan        50.09

Probably an incomplete list, but just those whom I can recall with a 50+ average after a considerable amount of first class games.

Impressive average for Fawad Alam, increased after his two hundreds in the QEA.

A comparative first class bowling average list would be interesting! Feel free to add if you can do so.

The first class also accounts for test matches played in Pak by these players that is why u see many of players, who have been successful international players.

I think it'd be interesting to look at their record minus international games (test matches)...I am sure it would give us some names that many of PP'rs are not familiar with

Paradox said:

HTML:
Fawad Alam         59.82
Mohammad Yousuf    51.10
Misbah-ul-Haq      50.72
Hasan Raza         50.40
Younis Khan        50.09
Nasir Jamshed      47.25
Sarfraz Ahmed      46.55
Umar Amin          45.57
Azhar Ali          43.92
Khurram Manzoor    43.13
Imran Farhat       42.83
Saeed Bin Nasir    42.66
Salman Butt        42.49
Faisal Iqbal       40.08

It is interesting to see that majority of the players in the list ( Fawad Alam, Hasan Raza, Younis Khan, Sarfraz Ahmed, Khurram Mansoor, Saeed Bin Nasir, Faisal Iqbal)are from Karachi, either Karachi batsmen are better than other parts of the country, or wickets in Karachi are more batting friendly or Karachi batsmen have been playing with weaker opposition.

excellent thread

in terms of up and comers to watch i think Shehryar Ghani and Azeem Ghumman have 50 averages with about 1000 runs in FC so far

Last edited:
zaid65 said:
It is interesting to see that majority of the players in the list ( Fawad Alam, Hasan Raza, Younis Khan, Sarfraz Ahmed, Khurram Mansoor, Saeed Bin Nasir, Faisal Iqbal)are from Karachi, either Karachi batsmen are better than other parts of the country, or wickets in Karachi are more batting friendly or Karachi batsmen have been playing with weaker opposition.

Karachi-based batsmen have always been the more accomplished of Pakistani batsmen...guys like Hanif, Zaheer and Miandad immediately come to mind

zaid65 said:

Until a few years back, the "Whites" teams of Khi and Lhr used to play at home while their "Blues" used to be touring (and hence losing)... however, that was until 2000 when they changed everything as Khi used to be champions for years in QEA trophy. Later, they introduced department teams to QEA as well which meant very little chance for Khi and Lhr to win the trophy as majority of their players represented departmental teams ... and now though National Bank has a ground in khi they play quite a few of their games in Lhr, Pindi, etc. where typically people believe that ball swings a bit especially in the early part of winters ...

Fawad plays more for NBP than for Karachi hence rarely has the opportunity to play in Karachi ... This shows that the guy has temperament to score big runs as he did in his debut test, in A team's tour of Kenya and FC ... in fact his latest century came at Qaddafi Stadium, Lhr ...

zaid65 said:

Fawad Alam leading is pathetic and disappointing? This lad scored a milestone in his very first international Test outing. He may not be a quality stroke maker, but the temperament he has shown is enough to reach the helm. And bowling quality you are talking about has always been top-notch in Pakistan cricket that's why we keep on producing one promising pacer after another. It's not the batsmen or bowlers, but the wickets that we play on are pathetic.

I would wait for him to play 50 more games before making my mind. I think his average is propped up by lots of Not Outs which explains the amount of runs vs average in ~50 games. But he is certainly a capable lad, and has to be in the 15 squad for NZ.

The reason why Fawad Alam averages so high compare to our greats Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam Ul Haq, Javed Maindad and several others is because when they used to play we had alot of good bowler. We had numerous amount of good bowlers. That period was basically known as 'bowler era' whereas today's era is known as 'batsman era' we our any other country don't have alot of good bowlers at this moment, in there domestic circuit there are few good bowler whereas majority of bowlers are average. Bowling standard has gone down immensely which in result made easier for batsman to score runs.

Another reason why Fawad Alam's average is quite high in this era compare to others batsman is that most of our good bowlers are in his team. Whereas we are left with few good bowlers who are in other teams (perhaps one good bowler in a team) and rest are average bowlers.

Cover Drive said:
The reason why Fawad Alam averages so high compare to our greats Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam Ul Haq, Javed Maindad and several others is because when they used to play we had alot of good bowler. We had numerous amount of good bowlers. That period was basically known as 'bowler era' whereas today's era is known as 'batsman era' we our any other country don't have alot of good bowlers at this moment, in there domestic circuit there are few good bowler whereas majority of bowlers are average. Bowling standard has gone down immensely which in result made easier for batsman to score runs.
If that is the case genius, then why ONLY Fawad Alam from current batsmen has better average than the batsmen who played against a lot of "good" bowlers?

Cover Drive said:
Another reason why Fawad Alam's average is quite high in this era compare to others batsman is that most of our good bowlers are in his team. Whereas we are left with few good bowlers who are in other teams (perhaps one good bowler in a team) and rest are average bowlers.

Once again ---- if that is the case genius, then why ONLY Fawad Alam from current batsmen has better average than the batsmen who played against a lot of "good" bowlers?

Even if what you are saying is true then Fawad Alam is STILL better than his contemoprary batsmen because they are playing against the SAME "mediocre" bowlers that you think, Fawad is playing against. Correct?

JeeraBlade said:
If that is the case genius, then why ONLY Fawad Alam from current batsmen has better average than the batsmen who played against a lot of "good" bowlers?

First of all, just to let you know that I will only be talking about QEAT stats. I won't incude any academy game stats or warm up game stats as I am not sure how to get those stats. Also I will only talk about one player at teh moment who is in above list of best FC average along FA (Mohammad Yousuf) Fawad Alam made his first class debut in 2005/2006 QEAT (Even though cricinfo says he made his FC debut in 2003/2004 but I was not able to find his average for 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons on PCB website (However I have posted 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons batting stats below which are labelled). Since he made his debut we did not have those "good" bowlers I am talking about. According to PCB website the ongoing game between WAPDA and NBP is Moyo's first game since FA made his FC debut. He hadn't played all those years. So now MY only played 1 FC game since FA made his debut whereas FA (according to PCB website) played 27 games (if you count ongoing NBP vs WAPDA game otherwise 26). So in those 27 games FA played his average is 77.52 rpg making 2403 runs. On the other hand MY has an average of 19 rpg making 38 runs since FA made his FC debut. So playing only one game since those 'good' bowlers are gone from our domestic circuit doesn't prove anything towards MY's ability

Once again ---- if that is the case genius, then why ONLY Fawad Alam from current batsmen has better average than the batsmen who played against a lot of "good" bowlers?

I have wrote it above I don't think I would have to be like you and say 'Once again ----' as I firmly believe it is not required.

Even if what you are saying is true then Fawad Alam is STILL better than his contemoprary batsmen because they are playing against the SAME "mediocre" bowlers that you think, Fawad is playing against. Correct?

As I said earlier MY only played one game against these "mediocre" bowlers in QEAT according to PCB

03/04 QEAT Batting Averages (No mention of Fawad Alam's name)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2003-04/Batting_by_Average.html
04/05 QEAT Batting Averages (No mention of Fawad Alam's name)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2004-05/Batting_by_Average.html
05/06 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's mark his FC debut)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2005-06/Batting_by_Average.html
06/07 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's second QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2006-07/Batting_by_Average.html
07/08 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's third QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2007-08/Batting_by_Average.html
08/09 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's fourth QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2008-09/Batting_by_Average.html
09/10 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's fifth QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2009-10/Batting_by_Average.html

Hope it helps! :D

Will update this list with more players today.

@ Bouncer - Yeah, that's what first-class cricket is all about - your domestic 4 day cricket average and your test cricket average combined. There aren't any seperate averages JUST for domestic 4 day cricket, or even domestic one day cricket for that matter (List A averages are the domestic ODD averages and international ODI averages combined.)

Cover Drive said:
First of all, just to let you know that I will only be talking about QEAT stats. I won't incude any academy game stats or warm up game stats as I am not sure how to get those stats. Also I will only talk about one player at teh moment who is in above list of best FC average along FA (Mohammad Yousuf) Fawad Alam made his first class debut in 2005/2006 QEAT (Even though cricinfo says he made his FC debut in 2003/2004 but I was not able to find his average for 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons on PCB website (However I have posted 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons batting stats below which are labelled). Since he made his debut we did not have those "good" bowlers I am talking about. According to PCB website the ongoing game between WAPDA and NBP is Moyo's first game since FA made his FC debut. He hadn't played all those years. So now MY only played 1 FC game since FA made his debut whereas FA (according to PCB website) played 27 games (if you count ongoing NBP vs WAPDA game otherwise 26). So in those 27 games FA played his average is 77.52 rpg making 2403 runs. On the other hand MY has an average of 19 rpg making 38 runs since FA made his FC debut. So playing only one game since those 'good' bowlers are gone from our domestic circuit doesn't prove anything towards MY's ability

I have wrote it above I don't think I would have to be like you and say 'Once again ----' as I firmly believe it is not required.

As I said earlier MY only played one game against these "mediocre" bowlers in QEAT according to PCB

03/04 QEAT Batting Averages (No mention of Fawad Alam's name)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2003-04/Batting_by_Average.html
04/05 QEAT Batting Averages (No mention of Fawad Alam's name)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2004-05/Batting_by_Average.html
05/06 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's mark his FC debut)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2005-06/Batting_by_Average.html
06/07 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's second QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2006-07/Batting_by_Average.html
07/08 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's third QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2007-08/Batting_by_Average.html
08/09 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's fourth QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2008-09/Batting_by_Average.html
09/10 QEAT Batting Averages (Fawad Alam's fifth QEAT)
http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Events/Quaid-e-Azam_Trophy_2009-10/Batting_by_Average.html

Hope it helps! :D

I have NO idea what you point is -- in this post? You said in your earlier post that FA has high ave because he is playing against below average bowling.
My simple question was ---- "Is he the only one playing against those bowlers?"....if the question is NO (obviously) then he is the BEST among the batsmen who are playing against those average bowlers.

JeeraBlade said:
I have NO idea what you point is -- in this post? You said in your earlier post that FA has high ave because he is playing against below average bowling.
My simple question was ---- "Is he the only one playing against those bowlers?"....if the question is NO (obviously) then he is the BEST among the batsmen who are playing against those average bowlers.
As I said from dblock's list (intial list) only MY is currently playing. He only played one game against these bowlers since FA made debut which doesn't prove that FA is better than others. Got it?????????????????

My simple answer is that comparing FA FC average with a person who has only played one game doesn't prove that FA is BEST

For second bolded part my answer is NO

I Guess I have to explain it a bit aggressively :po: ...... :))

Last edited:
Cover Drive said:
As I said from dblock's list (intial list) only MY is currently playing. He only played one game against these bowlers since FA made debut which doesn't prove that FA is better than others. Got it?????????????????

My simple answer is that comparing FA FC average with a person who has only played one game doesn't prove that FA is BEST

For second bolded part my answer is NO

I Guess I have to explain it a bit aggressively :po: ...... :))

..and how come Yousaf has failed to score against the same type of bowlers --- against FA has scored two 100s in last two weeks?

I am not saying FA is better than Yousaf -- all I am saying is your logic of average bowlers does not make any sense.

JeeraBlade said:
..and how come Yousaf has failed to score against the same type of bowlers --- against FA has scored two 100s in last two weeks?

I am not saying FA is better than Yousaf -- all I am saying is your logic of average bowlers does not make any sense.
Bradman made duck in his last innings, what does taht proves to you? Yousuf failed in one game and Fawad succeed in two games (count this game as both of them played) so what are you trying to say?

In directly you are hinting that FA is better than MY...loll...my logic was simple that previously it used to be bowler era whereas fewer batsman were able to score runs compare to today where we ain't got great number of good bowlers. For instance (going internationally) Micheal Ahterton was a great player but he only managed to have average in high 30's because he played in bowler era. If he had played in todays era that same average would be above 45.

Last edited:
Cover Drive said:
For instance (going internationally) Micheal Ahterton was a great player but he only managed to have average in high 30's because he played in bowler era. If he had played in todays era that same average would be above 45.
Please don't use the word ''great'' so liberally. Athers was a good player, but never, ever, a great.

Cover Drive said:
JB look here(below) FA is above JM, Hanif Mohammad and several others so I am believing FA is best among them right?:D

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...r_batting_average.html?class=4;id=7;type=host

Here is what I said in post #35 above;
JeeraBlade said:
Even if what you are saying is true then Fawad Alam is STILL better than his contemporary batsmen because they are playing against the SAME "mediocre" bowlers that you think, Fawad is playing against. Correct?

Contemporary:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contemporary
con⋅tem⋅po⋅rar⋅y
  /kən ˈtɛmpəˌrɛri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhn-tem-puh-rer-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -rar⋅ies.

–adjective
1. existing, occurring, or living at the same time; belonging to the same time: Newton's discovery of the calculus was contemporary with that of Leibniz.
2. of about the same age or date: a Georgian table with a contemporary wig stand.
3. of the present time; modern: a lecture on the contemporary novel.
–noun
4. a person belonging to the same time or period with another or others.
5. a person of the same age as another.

Last edited:
one name that keeps popping up every year in the best average is that of Hasan Raza..did anyone notice?

Either Fawad Alam is a superstar batsman or the standard of bowling he has faced is poor. I know which one i believe out of them.....

SWERVE_uk said:
Either Fawad Alam is a superstar batsman or the standard of bowling he has faced is poor. I know which one i believe out of them.....

If you think the standard of bowling is poor then we should stop selecting ANY batsman who scores runs against these bowlers. Correct?

JeeraBlade said:
Here is what I said in post #35 above;
Well it is just your misconception. Fawad might be good but is not better than them :)

Whatever suit yourself mate! :D

Fawad is a pretty good player.. he just needs to work out on some of his flaws, and he can surely be a great batsman later on.

Paradox said:
Fawad is a pretty good player.. he just needs to work out on some of his flaws, and he can surely be a great batsman later on.
Thank You!!!!!!

Yeah, but he is nothing close to the likes of Mohammad Yousuf of course. But seeing him bat recently in the ODI and Test series in the away tour of Sri Lanka, I think he can be our future Mohammad Yousuf, our future No. 4. He's in the pretty same mould as him, taking time to get going but playing a long stable knock at a pretty good strike rate in the end.

Paradox said:
Yeah, but he is nothing close to the likes of Mohammad Yousuf of course. But seeing him bat recently in the ODI and Test series in the away tour of Sri Lanka, I think he can be our future Mohammad Yousuf, our future No. 4. He's in the pretty same mould as him, taking time to get going but playing a long stable knock at a pretty good strike rate in the end.
:20:? Not really, he barely rotated the strike when he was suppose to do as Umar Akmal was doing it. Very first ball (if I remember properly) after the drinks break he got out playing a foolish shot in a foolish manner. At the end he gave away his wicket.

He is only 24 yet whereas Yousuf is 35. If he keeps on playing the way he does in test then off course he could be our future Mohammad Yousuf (ALLAH (SWT) knows the best!)

Personally, I don't really like those type of players.. the ones who take a very long time to get going BUT end up playing a long innings and before you know it, with a pretty good strike rate as well. Someone like Malik, Yousuf, Younis, or even Alam for that matter.

I don't like them solely because they often get out WHILE they're just about to get going.. and when they get out it just proves to be a waste of deliveries and a lot of loss of momentum.. we've seen it very very often from Malik, Younis, and Yousuf, them getting out for something like 9 off 27 balls, etc. A recent example is Younis' knock against Australia in the Champions Trophy match. We were off to a pretty solid start, with Afridi hitting a few boundaries but getting out, and Akmal still on the attack, middling the ball very hit and mercilessly hitting the likes of Lee, Johnson, etc. What happens? Younis comes in, wastes time and deliveries, and gets out. What happens next? Akmal gets out. And we all know why, because Younis wasted a lot of deliveries and handed a lot of momentum to Australia. Akmal has to bring it back, and therefore gets out trying to do it.

HOWEVER we have also seen very often from Yousuf etc where they take very very long to get going, and are at something like 10 off 30 balls, etc. but end up scoring a century off 100 odd balls, or even over a strike rate of 100. A recent example is Malik's century against India in the Champions Trophy game.

Last edited:
Cover Drive said:
Very first ball (if I remember properly) after the drinks break he got out playing a foolish shot in a foolish manner. At the end he gave away his wicket.

Yes, I can remember that as well. It was off Kulasekara or Thushara or something, he played an extremely ugly lofted shot trying to go for six but landed right next to the playing strip into the bowler's hand.

Paradox said:
Personally, I don't really like those type of players.. the ones who take a very long time to get going BUT end up playing a long innings and before you know it, with a pretty good strike rate as well. Someone like Malik, Yousuf, Younis, or even Alam for that matter.

I don't like them solely because they often get out WHILE they're just about to get going.. and when they get out it just proves to be a waste of deliveries and a lot of loss of momentum.. we've seen it very very often from Malik, Younis, and Yousuf, them getting out for something like 9 off 27 balls, etc. A recent example is Younis' knock against Australia in the Champions Trophy match. We were off to a pretty solid start, with Afridi hitting a few boundaries but getting out, and Akmal still on the attack, middling the ball very hit and mercilessly hitting the likes of Lee, Johnson, etc. What happens? Younis comes in, wastes time and deliveries, and gets out. What happens next? Akmal gets out. And we all know why, because Younis wasted a lot of deliveries and handed a lot of momentum to Australia. Akmal has to bring it back, and therefore gets out trying to do it.

HOWEVER we have also seen very often from Yousuf etc where they take very very long to get going, and are at something like 10 off 30 balls, etc. but end up scoring a century off 100 odd balls, or even over a strike rate of 100. A recent example is Malik's century against India in the Champions Trophy game.
Someone posted stats along with what you said but for a different player (Fawad Alam) (I searched it and found it, here is the link to that thread)

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=81270&highlight=Fawad+Alam

I don't know who said it but it is really famous that when momentum is with Pakistan it gets really hard to stop them. Same goes with our batsmen.

By the way, I forgot to welcome you on PP!! I hope you stay here for a long time ("[don't] get out WHILE [you are] just about to get going" :D)

Anyways, back to the topic - I'll update the lists once a week.

Making the bowler's list now. Same criteria, minimum of 20 FC matches and still eligible for national selection.

Cover Drive said:
By the way, I forgot to welcome you on PP!! I hope you stay here for a long time ("[don't] get out WHILE [you are] just about to get going" :D)

Haha, thanks, mate.. I've actually just registered for an account now. I've been trolling PP's forums as a guest for a long time, for around a year and a half now.. read it each and every day. Love it's forums, love it's members (except a few ofcourse ;-) ) My favorite site by a mile. :14:

FIRST-CLASS BATTING AVERAGES AS OF 19 OCTOBER

HTML:
Fawad Alam         58.97
Younis Khan        51.38
Umar Akmal         51.00
Mohammad Yousuf    50.76
Misbah-ul-Haq      50.72
Hasan Raza         50.40
Nasir Jamshed      46.03
Sarfraz Ahmed      45.94
Umar Amin          44.22
Khurram Manzoor    43.59
Saeed Bin Nasir    43.23
Azhar Ali          43.18
Imran Farhat       42.53
Salman Butt        41.92
Faisal Iqbal       40.18

Changes in rankings:-

Mohammad Yousuf drops under Umar Akmal
Nasir Jamshed drops under Sarfraz Ahmed
Khurram Manzoor overtakes Azhar Ali
Imran Farhat drops under Saeed Bin Nasir
Saeed Bin Nasir overtakes Azhar Ali

No point in showing bolded players here since almost all of them play for Pakistan currently or have done so in some stage.

Last edited:
FIRST-CLASS BOWLING AVERAGES AS OF 19 OCTOBER

Code:
[B]Samiullah Khan 19.69[/B]
[B]Shahid Nazir 20.98[/B]
[B]Sohail Khan 22.03[/B]
Fahad Masood 22.38
Sarfraz Ahmed 22.80
Jaffar Nazir 22.98
Naved Arif 23.25
[B]Rao Iftikhar 23.78[/B]
[B]Najaf Shah 24.07[/B]
[B]Mohammad Asif 24.26[/B]
[B]Rana Naved 24.31[/B]
[B]Abdur Rauf 24.94[/B]
Aizaz Cheema 24.94
Azharullah 25.64
Tariq Haroon 25.80
[B]Danish Kaneria 26.00[/B]
[B]Umar Gul 26.10[/B]
[B]Shoaib Akhtar 26.26[/B]
Shakeel-ur-Rehman 26.34
[B]Saeed Ajmal 27.16[/B]
[B]Sohail Tanvir 27.41[/B]

BOLDED players are players who play or have played for Pakistan, to show a clear indication in which they rank.

Last edited:
zaid65 said:

The players you mentioned are indeed from Karachi but they rarely play for the Karachi team itself. Most of them play for their respective departments. So they don't always play in Karachi. When playing a big tournament like QEA trophy, you don't always get to play with all sorts of oppositions, weak and strong.

pakcricketfan said:
wow...look at the company Fawad Alam is in in that list..
Players like Fawad is same like Mansoor Akhtar, Sajid Ali & Ghulam Ali....they always scored in Domestic but fail in international cricket.

PakPassionate said:
Players like Fawad is same like Mansoor Akhtar, Sajid Ali & Ghulam Ali....they always scored in Domestic but fail in international cricket.

Good prediction. Now predict the financial markets.

Hick and Ramparkash had very good averages too domestically.

Last edited by a moderator:
PakPassionate said:

So, you are ASSuming that Fawad has failed in international cricket?

JeeraBlade said:
So, you are ASSuming that Fawad has failed in international cricket?
Very very unnecessary words were used in that post. Honestly I like to read your posts but your tone behind these written line is not pleasing I feel sorry for you mate. A Muslim brother is not suppose to behave like this. You make other get angry in a flash (atleast I did)..loll

I have realized it this is the way you suit yourself! :(

Last edited:
Last edited:
Inswinger said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned Adnan Raza.
He's a 21 year old left handed batsmen who has played 27 FC matches. He has 1679 runs at an average of 46.63.
http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/39916.html

From the bowlers you are missing Asad Ali. He's 21 and has played 32 FC matches. He's picked up 144 wickets at an average of 21.47
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/222728.html

Good spot.

That reminded me of Afaq Raheem (who seemed to be promising player along with Raza and Fawad Alam about 2 years ago).

He averages a tad below 40 now, I think it was like 45 a while back.

http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/39346.html

PakPassionate said:

Wow how can you predict that because last time I checked Fawad had an average of 54 in Tests and 42 in ODI. Btw, what is a successful batsman for you? Bradman?
With his great temperament I can only see Fawad succeed if he is given a decent run.

Last edited:
I don't know why people don't rate Fawad Alam. The man has scored a test hundred on debut, with or without a strange technique. He's the next superstar of the Pakistani batting lineup, alot of people here seem to have already thrown him on the scrapheap?

:saqlain

Poison said:
I don't know why people don't rate Fawad Alam. The man has scored a test hundred on debut, with or without a strange technique. He's the next superstar of the Pakistani batting lineup, alot of people here seem to have already thrown him on the scrapheap?

:saqlain
It's simple mate; he don't look pretty and he don't bat pretty. People will continue to rag on him, no matter how many runs he scores or how well he does.

PakPassionate said:

I didn't know you were a fortune teller.

Rudi hater said:
Hick and Ramparkash had very good averages too domestically.

SO??

Miandad, Hanif Mohamad,Younis Khan,Yousuf,Inzamam, Zaheer Abas had very good averages domestically too.

pakcricketfan said:
SO??

Miandad, Hanif Mohamad,Younis Khan,Yousuf,Inzamam, Zaheer Abas had very good averages domestically too.

I was just saying its not an indicator of things to come. There are some players who didn't have much of a dometic cricket average but did well at the international level.

Back