Big Bash League 2016-17 Discussion Thread [Perth Scorchers 2017 Champions]

jeetu

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
The 2016–17 Big Bash League season is the sixth season of the KFC Big Bash League. The tournament is scheduled to run from 20 December 2016 to 28 January 2017. Each team will play eight group stage matches, four at home and four away. The top four ranked teams progress to the Semi Finals. The Final of the tournament will be played at the home ground of the highest-ranked team.
The Sydney Thunder are the current reigning champions.

Teams

Adelaide Strikers : Brad Hodge (Captain), Wes Agar, Ben Dunk, Alex Carey, Jonathon Dean, Kane Richardson, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Ben Laughlin, Chris Jordan, Jake Weatherald, Jake Lehmann, Craig Simmons, Tim Ludeman, Michael Neser, Kieron Pollard, Kelvin Smith, Billy Stanlake.

Brisbane Heat : Brendon McCullum (Captain), Samuel Badree, James Peirson, Ben Cutting, Alex Doolan, Josh Lalor, Luke Feldman, Jason Floros, Sam Heazlett, Marnus Labuschagne, Joe Burns, Chris Lynn, Andrew Fekete, Alex Ross, Mark Steketee, Mitchell Swepson, Nathan Reardon, Jack Wildermuth..

Perth Scorchers : Adam Voges (Captain), Mitchell Johnson, Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff, Ashton Agar, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ian Bell, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Michael Klinger, Joel Paris, Jhye Richardson, Sam Whiteman, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, James Muirhead, David Willey.

Hobart Hurricanes :
Tim Paine (Captain), George Bailey, Cameron Boyce, Stuart Broad, James Bazley, Hamish Kingston, Sam Rainbird, Ben McDermott, Dominic Michael, Simon Milenko, Kumar Sangakkara, Jake Reed, Dan Christian, D’Arcy Short, Shaun Tait, Clive Rose, Beau Webster, Jonathan Wells.

Melbourne Renegades : Aaron Finch (Captain), Cameron White, Dwayne Bravo, Tom Cooper, Tom Beaton, Callum Ferguson, Xavier Doherty, Marcus Harris, Sunil Narine, Peter Nevill, Brad Hogg, Nathan Rimmington, Matthew Short, James Pattinson, Chris Tremain, Matthew Wade, Peter Siddle, Nick Winter.

Sydney Sixers : Moises Henriques (Captain), Josh Hazlewood, Sam Billings, Daniel Hughes, Jackson Bird, Nic Maddinson, Doug Bollinger, Johan Botha, Ryan Carters, Ben Dwarshuis, Brad Haddin, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Joe Mennie, Stephen O’Keefe, Jason Roy, Sean Abbott, Jordan Silk.

Melbourne Stars :
David Hussey (Captain), Glenn Maxwell, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Michael Beer, Sebastian Gotch, Evan Gulbis, Kevin Pietersen, Sam Harper, Jackson Coleman, Ben Hilfenhaus, Luke Wright, Robert Quiney, Marcus Stoinis, Peter Handscomb, Tom Triffitt, Dan Worrall, Adam Zampa.

Sydney Thunder : Shane Watson (Captain), Usman Khawaja, Gurinder Sandhu, Fawad Ahmed, Patrick Cummins, Jake Doran, Ryan Gibson, Chris Green, Eoin Morgan, Chris Hartley, Aiden Blizzard, Alister McDermott, Clint McKay, Kurtis Patterson, Arjun Nair, Ben Rohrer, Nathan McAndrew, Andre Russell.

Current Match

Syd Thunder 68/1 (7.2/20 ov) v Syd Sixers
Sydney Sixers won the toss and elected to field

Gotta admire Brad Hogg. 46 in a month or two and still going as strong as ever.

most exciting t20 league

Sydney Thunder 159/8 (20/20 ov)
Sydney Sixers 160/1 (18.0/20 ov)

Sydney Sixers won by 9 wickets (with 12 balls remaining)

Big Bash is only the league I'd pay to watch.

Ironically its the only league shown Free to Air in its home nation

That might be because the producers were worried that Australian crowd might not want to watch T20 stuff especially since they prefer Ashes and real cricket.

That might be because the producers were worried that Australian crowd might not want to watch T20 stuff especially since they prefer Ashes and real cricket.

Nah. Ashes and test cricket and ODIs and AFL and NRL and the Olympics are all free to air as well.

The big sporting events in Australia are free to air.

Australians believe sport belongs to them and should be on free to air.

I thought Shahid Afridi was keen to come back to this year league to play, does he still have time to contract with any of the teams mentioned above? Please if anyone has the answer would appreciate it to let me know. Thank You

Nah. Ashes and test cricket and ODIs and AFL and NRL and the Olympics are all free to air as well.

The big sporting events in Australia are free to air.

I was actually impressed last time Channel 7 (I assume it's also free to air ) showed all the matches of Australian Open.

So I guess tennis is free to air as well.

Probably upcoming Brisbane International as well.

I was actually impressed last time Channel 7 (I assume it's also free to air ) showed all the matches of Australian Open.

So I guess tennis is free to air as well.

Probably upcoming Brisbane International as well.

Aus Open and Wimbledon.

I thought Shahid Afridi was keen to come back to this year league to play, does he still have time to contract with any of the teams mentioned above? Please if anyone has the answer would appreciate it to let me know. Thank You

95% sure that he doesn't

how do you and most others think like that? not many foreign stars like IPL

Coverage is better

Crowds are more in the game

The local players are higher quality

The players genuinely seem to want to win for their team rather than just collect a pay check

Cricket Australia withdraws approval for use of coloured bat by Andre Russell

Cricket Australia has announced that it has withdrawn its approval for the bat used by Andre Russell in last night’s match against the Sydney Sixers at Spotless Stadium, after the bat marked the ball.

Speaking on the decision, Head of the Big Bash Anthony Everard said:

“The Match Officials provided feedback to Cricket Australia that the bat used by Andre left black marks on the match ball. As a result, we have decided to withdraw our approval for Andre to use the bat that was used last night as the colour solution used by the manufacturer was discolouring the ball.”

“Should Andre, or any other BBL or WBBL player for that matter, wish to use a bat with a different colouring solution to the one used last night that doesn’t result in the discolouration of the match ball, they will be permitted to do so subject to Cricket Australia being satisfied that the bat won’t compromise the integrity of the game, which we believe discolouring the match ball does,”
said Everard.

Under the BBL & WBBL Clothing and Equipment Regulations a player can use a coloured bat subject to Cricket Australia approval. The bat must be the same colour as the Club’s primary colour, or black. Cricket Australia retains the right to withdraw approval in its absolute discretion. The umpires can also request a player change the bat if they believe it affects the integrity of the match.

Last edited:
Amazing but totally unnecessary; if the bowlers don't mind let him play?

Amazing but totally unnecessary; if the bowlers don't mind let him play?

Letting players decide the rules will not work, rules must be applied across the board to everyone.

Example if a team allows one batsman to use a black bat that marks the ball and then in the next match decide that another batsman cant it makes a mockery of having rules.

Same thing happened in England, Ashar Zaidi used a black bat for 1 game then the ECB outlawed it.

[PICTURE] BBL : Andre Russell's black and pink bat banned by Cricket Australia

Andre_Russellstory.jpg

Cricket Australia (CA) has banned the black and pink bat used by Sydney Thunder's Andre Russell in the Big Bash after it left marks on the ball.

The West Indies all-rounder made nine from seven balls in Thunder's nine-wicket derby defeat by Sydney Sixers.

Players can use coloured bats in the Big Bash as long as it is the same as the club's primary colour, or black.

CA had originally approved Russell's bat before Monday's match, which was the 2016-17 tournament opener.

Head of the Big Bash Anthony Everard said: "The match officials provided feedback to Cricket Australia that the bat used by Andre left black marks on the match ball.

"As a result, we have decided to withdraw our approval for Andre to use the bat.

"Should Andre, or any other Big Bash or Women's Big Bash player for that matter, wish to use a bat with a different colouring solution that doesn't result in the discolouration of the match ball, they will be permitted to do so.

"This is subject to Cricket Australia being satisfied that the bat won't compromise the integrity of the game, which we believe discolouring the match ball does."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/38388937

Last edited by a moderator:
Bat was probably used for promotion, now the ban in place brings more news for it, thus more promotion. Good marketing while it lasted.

Looked terrible and stupid anyways like the gold bat used by Gayle last year.
Dont understand the cheap marketing gimmicks by Spartan at all.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x569voq" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x569voq_billy1_sport" target="_blank">billy1</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/siasivideoz" target="_blank">siasivideoz</a></i>

Looked terrible and stupid anyways like the gold bat used by Gayle last year.
Dont understand the cheap marketing gimmicks by Spartan at all.

I thought it looked really cool

The only problem is the paint job must have been a dodgy one, if it's rubbing off on the ball

Can someone please let me know why Afridi has not shown any interest in playing the BBL? Were the teams paying him less or Lala needed a rest before PSL?

Can someone please let me know why Afridi has not shown any interest in playing the BBL? Were the teams paying him less or Lala needed a rest before PSL?

He didn't play because no one wanted him.

Cricket Australia approves use of modified coloured bat by Andre Russell

Cricket Australia has announced that it has granted approval for Andre Russell to resume using his black coloured cricket bat after reviewing modifications made to the bat covering.

Speaking on the decision, Head of the Big Bash Anthony Everard said:

“Following feedback from the Match Officials that the bat used by Andre in the opening night of the season left black marks on the match ball, Andre has worked with his bat manufacturer to modify the bat. A clear laminate cover has been applied to the bat which complies with regulations to ensure the ball discolouration does not occur again.

We’re now satisfied that the bat will not compromise the integrity of the game by discolouring the match ball and we have granted approval for Andre to use the bat in any future BBL matches, ” said Everard.

Under the BBL & WBBL Clothing and Equipment Regulations a player can use a coloured bat subject to Cricket Australia approval. The bat must be the same colour as the Club’s primary colour, or black. Cricket Australia retains the right to withdraw approval in its absolute discretion. The umpires can also request a player change the bat if they believe it affects the integrity of the match.

BBL | Melbourne Renegades v Perth Scorchers | 9th Match | Docklands | Dec 29, 2016 | Match Thread

Melbourne Renegades XI

Finch, Harris, White, Ferguson, Bravo, Cooper, Nevill, Tremain, Narine, Rimmington, Hogg

Perth Scorchers XI

S.Marsh, Klinger, Whiteman, Bell, Willey, Voges, M.Marsh, Turner, Agar, Johnson, Tye

Perth Scorchers have won the toss and will bowl

I'm excited to watch this match it's at Docklands Melbourne so it's pouring down but the roof will be up!

Wish we had a match here.

Well I mean it's not "indoor" but there is a roof that can be used if it's raining. It's pouring down in Melbourne so they will use the roof!

Yah I know..worded it wrongly.

Remember a rule like the batsman getting 10 runs when he hits it on the roof in some exhibition match there. Wonder if it's still there.:narine

Bravo ruled out of BBL 6 with hamstring injury...

Melbourne Renegades' West Indian allrounder, Dwayne Bravo has been ruled out of the remained of the ongoing Big Bash League 2016-17 after he injured his hamstring while fielding against Perth Scorchers.

Bravo seemingly ruptured his hamstring after diving to stop the ball near the boundary rope. He was immediately stretchered off the field and played no further part in the game, which Renegades lost after Scorchers' Aston Agar hit a last ball six.

The West Indian underwent scans on Friday (December 30) and it was revealed that he would need surgery on the hamstring. He will thus face a long stint on the sidelines as he recuperates from the injury.

"Unfortunately, my Big Bash season is over which is very disappointing," Bravo said. "I'll now have surgery and the rehabilitation to get me fit and playing at my best again. I want to thank all the Renegades fans for their support for me and I hope to see them again next season."

Saw glimpses of a match yesterday, crowd attendance is terrific. Looked like 90's when AUS played VB series to packed stadia.

England is finally coming up with some plan along the model of IPL, BBL this season. Let's see how that goes. Will be very good for less known players from associate nations to earn good income and gain exposure.

April-May IPL
July-Aug NatwestT20 (working on some revamped model)
Dec-Jan BBL

The crowd response in this bbl is terrific. Aroung 74000 people attended yesterdays match which is phenomenal

What i am noticing in aus is that in odis outside india and england matches the attendences are abbsymal

[MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION] [MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] why is the response to odis so poor nowadays in aus

The crowd response in this bbl is terrific. Aroung 74000 people attended yesterdays match which is phenomenal

Perth scorchers had a full house at the same time.

Gate takings for the day would have exceeded $5million.

[MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION] [MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] why is the response to odis so poor nowadays in aus

Depends who is playing and how competitive the series are. But all in all the ODI's get good crowds.

Yeah i have also noticed that waca is packed in all its home matches

[MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] what i am noticing is that with every year the attendances for bbl are increasing .whats u r take on it ? Is the bbl getting increasingly popular every year ?

[MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] what i am noticing is that with every year the attendances for bbl are increasing .whats u r take on it ? Is the bbl getting increasingly popular every year ?

Its amazing the interest shown in the BBL, people are loving it and the atmosphere is fantastic. I can see it getting much bigger. I think its more for domestic consumption and dont expect cricket fans from other countries to be interested in the BBL.

[MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] will be bbl continue to run parallel to aus cricket summer schedule or will the acb try to create a window where national players from aus also play

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think they will make a window for the test players, firstly it would be too much cricket for the players and financially CA takes care of them.

Its enjoyable and most importantly the free to air deal really opened up to new audiences.

[MENTION=732]Gilly[/MENTION] will be bbl continue to run parallel to aus cricket summer schedule or will the acb try to create a window where national players from aus also play

CA won't change the tests because they deservedly remain the headline act of the Australian domestic summer and the Big Bash League will continue to be held during school holidays to make it easier for school kids and parents.

It felt like I was watching a baseball match, massive crowds and the fast commentary. Even caps of some players are flat faced like baseball. Some people still think cricket is a dying sport because international odi/ test matches don't get crowds :facepalm:

Domestic leagues are the way to go as proved by IPL 10th edition and BBL 6th edition.

Who has bowled the fastest ball of BBL this year ?

What was the speed ?

Not sure but most importantly Big Bad Billy Stanlake is bowling well. Pretty sure he reached 148.

Can't wait for him to play for Australia

Good game on atm

Brisbane Heat 186/6 (20/20 ov)
Sydney Sixers 158/5 (16/20 ov)

Sydney Sixers require another 29 runs with 5 wickets and 24 balls remaining

Melbourne Stars 166/8 (20/20 ov)
Sydney Thunder 95/4 (14/20 ov)

Sydney Thunder require another 72 runs with 6 wickets and 36 balls remaining

Another one going right down to the wire 33 off 18 required. Sadly looks like that's it for Dre Russ for some time.

Morgan with a last ball six to win the game yowza!

Swepson>Zampa

Swepson should be in the IT20 squad that's faces SL along with Stanlake.

Lynn should be in the ODI squad against Pakistan

Andrew Symonds has to be one of the worst commentators I've ever listened to.

Australia should take a gamble and open with Maxwell.

Nah. Keep Maxwell down the order and bring him in when necessary.

Fast bowlers with the new ball will dominate him

Back