[PICTURES] Who will win the ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

Which side will win the ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SA won't ever win a WC until they fix their chasing problem and get rid of the black quota system. Until then not gonna happen
Why South Africa are always put in the group such that they meet Netherlands? I don't think SA will even make it to Super 8's...

South Africa is ever declining (at least in ICCs), their best chance was with Hansie Cronje's or Graeme Smith's team... Don't think they will ever reach to that level... (Same goes with Sri lanka and Pakistan) These three teams will find it hard to win major ICC tournaments, they may win some mini-tournaments like Champions Trophy, Asia Cup, etc... West Indies if determined & if they get their combinations right they can win T20 WC as they did multiple times...

Why South Africa are always put in the group such that they meet Netherlands? I don't think SA will even make it to Super 8's...

South Africa is ever declining (at least in ICCs), their best chance was with Hansie Cronje's or Graeme Smith's team... Don't think they will ever reach to that level... (Same goes with Sri lanka and Pakistan) These three teams will find it hard to win major ICC tournaments, they may win some mini-tournaments like Champions Trophy, Asia Cup, etc... West Indies if determined & if they get their combinations right they can win T20 WC as they did multiple times...
Pakistan made the semi-finals and the finals of the last two T20WCs, clubbing us with South Africa and Sri Lanka would be a bit unfair. The team that made the 2022WC final was the weakest T20 squad we have ever put out, did better than a powerhouse Indian team in both editions. I would say though that our talent pool is inferior to both Sri Lanka and South Africa.

I don't understand the talk of South Africa being favorites though. They are coming into this tournament on the back of nine losses in the last 11 games they have played. And no, only the three games against West Indies just before the WC were the only games where their first team was not playing.

They lost handsomely to India and Australia B sides, then lost two games to the West Indies at home last year at full-strength.

Pakistan made the semi-finals and the finals of the last two T20WCs, clubbing us with South Africa and Sri Lanka would be a bit unfair. The team that made the 2022WC final was the weakest T20 squad we have ever put out, did better than a powerhouse Indian team in both editions. I would say though that our talent pool is inferior to both Sri Lanka and South Africa.

I don't understand the talk of South Africa being favorites though. They are coming into this tournament on the back of nine losses in the last 11 games they have played. And no, only the three games against West Indies just before the WC were the only games where their first team was not playing.

They lost handsomely to India and Australia B sides, then lost two games to the West Indies at home last year at full-strength.

Nobody sensible has called South Africa favourites .

Nobody sensible has called South Africa favourites .
I see so many 'pundits' completely ignoring New Zealand in favor of South Africa or the West Indies.

West Indies in my opinion will do well to get out of this group, as on yesterday's evidence, Afghan spinners will spin webs around them.

South Africa pace bowling has shocking stats over the past year or so in this format of the game. I did mistakenly call them the second best pace bowling attack in this tournament, but then saw the stats and they are quite terrible to say the least.

I see so many 'pundits' completely ignoring New Zealand in favor of South Africa or the West Indies.

West Indies in my opinion will do well to get out of this group, as on yesterday's evidence, Afghan spinners will spin webs around them.

South Africa pace bowling has shocking stats over the past year or so in this format of the game. I did mistakenly call them the second best pace bowling attack in this tournament, but then saw the stats and they are quite terrible to say the least.

West Indies played PNG at Providence, Guyana which is a very slow pitch - slowest in the Caribbean maybe.

And PNG spinners/opening pacer were stunningly good considering the pitch

Their left arm spinner John Kariko, for instance, bowled 63 % on a good length and , except one ball, did not give width(beyond 6th stump) in his entire spell.

That's world class bowling tbh. Only the best spinners bowl that accurately.

The Saffer pace attack desperately needs Ottniel Baartman to come to the party - skiddy full lengths and variations . Nortje and Coetzee will lose matches singlehandedly on these pitches.

Sa suck at chasing that's why. Even now against Sri Lanka their still struggling to chase 78 lol, they'll win but the fact their struggling still is hilarious.

Sa suck at chasing that's why. Even now against Sri Lanka their still struggling to chase 78 lol, they'll win but the fact their struggling still is hilarious.
wicket is very slow. If SL had somehow scored 100 runs here they could have won this game.

I mean how bad do you think they suck. It was not even 80 runs target. Like they are not Gully team.
They lost to Nedtherlands 2x while chasing, they barely beat Pakistan by 1 wicket in the world cup by chasing, and keep in mind this is the same bowling attack that got butchered by Sri lanka all the way to 346, Australia dogwalked it, England murdered it for 337, the same English team that couldn't deal with Nedtherlands or afghanistan bowling, this bowling attack then proceeded to get tonked by Afghanistan.

Pakistan in wc 2023 was playing with a shaheen who had an injured finger, hasan Ali Mr I love going for 100 of 4 by bowling 110kph and finally Rauf who while good in t20 doesn't have the stamina to bowl 10 overs + due to naseem absence he was forced to bowl with the new ball which didn't work out.

SA is a minnow team while chasing

Former England captain Michael Vaughan believes that the ongoing T20 World Cup 2024 will be highly competitive due to the presence of many good teams, he said:

“The problem is this of all the T20 World Cups could be the hardest to win because there are more sides that can compete,”

“The West Indies are full of power, South Africa always have a question mark over their mentality but are so strong, Australians know how to win World Cups and India possess the skill sets and experience so you know they will be very competitive as well."

“Pakistan, as ever, are an unknown quantity but will threaten. New Zealand have the experience and always turn it on at World Cups. There are so many good teams.”

“It is an England team that should be competing at the back end of the tournament. I don’t see them having a World Cup like they did in India when they were all at sea with selection issues, contractual problems and were not fit enough. This time I see a team that is rock solid and will go to the Caribbean full of confidence,”

“If the World Cup is a 170-par score then all the teams I have mentioned can win it. If it goes to 210-240 par on small grounds and flat pitches I think England, South Africa, Australia and West Indies are the teams with the most power in their batting line-ups, closely followed by New Zealand. I think India are below that in terms of power. But if it is a 170 par, India are right in the hunt with their bowling.”

Updated Points Table for Group C after Afghanistan vs Uganda Game:
1717473955977.png

Updated points table after Uganda vs PNG game

KRFj8os.png

Australia opened their account in the points table of Group B:
ZYFOI3K.png

Kinda weird to think that if Australia beats England tmr, England could exiting the cup.

Scotland and Australia would make it through.

England look finished and need a new captain. Australia or India I'd say. WI are an outside chance.

Group B standings have shifted after Scotland's victory over Oman, with the current situation being

1717996339869.png

T20 World Cup State of Play: All the scenarios and every side's path to second round

No team has locked in a second round berth yet, while only one is mathematically out. Here's where every team is placed, with so much must-win cricket ahead.
After a fast and furious start to the 20-over showcase, it’s time to take a breath.

The ICC Men’s T20I World Cup has delivered in so many ways already – featuring rising stars, big guns firing, blockbuster matches, Super Overs, and wild upsets.

So as we countdown to another dynamic dose of T20I action, let’s take stock and assess where every team is at.

ICC Men’s T20 World Cup State of Play

Let’s run through each group and determine which teams have nearly made it to the second round already, plus assess which teams still have plenty of work to do.

Group A

Teams: India, United States, Canada, Pakistan, Ireland

INDIA (4 points | 1.455 NRR)

At two wins from two starts, with a handy net run rate, India appear well on their way to progressing through to the second round. A positive result against either USA or Canada will likely seal the deal for this tournament heavyweight.

UNITED STATES (4 points | 0.626 NRR)

What a story the USA has been so far. Following an unblemished start, the hosts will likely require just one more win to secure progression. Next up it’s India on June 12 in New York, followed by a clash with Ireland in Florida that looms as a crucial blockbuster for both hopefuls.

CANADA (2 points | –0.274 NRR)

The Canadians fought back from a loss to USA in the tournament opener by securing a 12-run win over Ireland to remain firmly in the mix. Canada takes on Pakistan next up, in what’s most likely a must-win encounter for the side.

PAKISTAN (0 points | –0.150 NRR)

For every nail-biter and underdog winner, there’s a loser who faces the consequences – and that’s been Pakistan’s reality so far. With two losses to start their campaign, the Asian powerhouse must beat Canada and then Ireland, while also flipping around their –0.150 net run rate in the process, and hope one of India or the USA slips up.

IRELAND (0 points | –1.712 NRR)

It’s almost curtains for Ireland, who must beat USA and Pakistan, plus hope that other results go their way.

Group B

Teams: Scotland, Australia, Namibia, England, Oman

SCOTLAND (5 points | 2.164 NRR)

While the all-UK showdown in Barbados was a No Result, the Scots find themselves atop Group B after wins over Namibia and Oman. It’s possible they’ve already done enough to make the next round, but a win over Australia on June 15 would confirm it. If the Aussies win that one, there’s a remote chance England - or Namibia - can play catch up.

AUSTRALIA (4 points | 1.875 NRR)

The Aussies are two from two and looking strong, highlighted by their huge win over the English. Another victory and they’re sitting pretty and likely into the second round.

NAMIBIA (2 points | –0.309 NRR)

Having split results so far, Namibia is alive in Group B. It only gets tougher from here, though, with Australia and England the opponents to come. The Africans would’ve circled these matches as soon as the draw came out and they certainly loom large now.

ENGLAND (1 point | –1.800 NRR)

Stranded in fourth, with just the one point so far, England are firmly up against it in Group B. They’ll need to win out, against Oman and Namibia, as the minimum requirement, and then pray that other results land a certain way. The most likely path for England is to somehow resurrect their –1.800 net run rate and hope other results, especially the Australia-Scotland encounter, go their way.

OMAN (0 points | –1.613 NRR)

Oman cannot make it to the next stage, having already lost three matches. They have, however, played some impressive cricket, which included giving Australia a fight, and should be buoyed by their efforts moving forward.

Group C

Teams: Afghanistan, West Indies, Uganda, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand

Less cricket has been played in Groups C and D so far, meaning there’s plenty more still to play out. But here’s where it all sits.

AFGHANISTAN (4 points | 5.225 NRR)

The Afghans made a huge statement against New Zealand, announcing themselves as genuine tournament contenders. They're two from two with a net run rate that dwarves every other side in their group. Afghanistan has a foot in the door to the next stage, but a win over either PNG or hosts the West Indies locks it in.

WEST INDIES (4 points | 3.574 NRR)

It’s been a strong display by the West Indies so far taking care of both Papua New Guinea and Uganda. But they’ll likely have to beat one of New Zealand or Afghanistan to secure progression – next up they play the Black Caps on June 12 in Trinidad and Tobago.

UGANDA (2 points | –4.217 NRR)

Uganda have collected their first-ever T20 World Cup win already, making it a successful campaign. At one win from three matches, their chances of moving forward are slim – they’d need to beat New Zealand by plenty and hope everything else falls into place to have a chance.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA (0 points | –0.434 NRR)

After losing their pivotal match with Uganda, PNG’s most likely not getting out of the Group stage. They have Afghanistan and New Zealand to come, looking to play an interfering role and learn some lessons in the process.

NEW ZEALAND (0 points | –4.200 NRR)

The Kiwis have only played one game so far and will be hoping to leave it behind them quickly. The heavy loss to Afghanistan could prove costly, unless they can run the table and go three-from-three against the West Indies, Uganda, and Papua New Guinea, which is certainly not out of the question. New Zealand’s blockbuster with the Windies is now central to how things end up shaking out in Group C.

Group D

Teams: South Africa, Bangladesh, Netherlands, Nepal, Sri Lanka

SOUTH AFRICA (4 points | 0.789 NRR)

The Proteas picked up the all-important scalp of Sri Lanka to hit the ground running, before taking care of the Netherlands in a close encounter. A win over Bangladesh or Nepal will be more than enough to see them through to the second round.

BANGLADESH (2 points | 0.379 NRR)

The Tigers began Group D with a close win over Sri Lanka and moving into second position. Assuming Sri Lanka fails to catch up, having already lost two, Bangladesh likely only needs to beat the Netherlands to advance – even just a win over Nepal might be enough. Next up, they take on South Africa in the likely battle for top spot in Group D.

NETHERLANDS (2 points | 0.024 NRR)

At one from two, the Dutch certainly need to beat Bangladesh and then most likely Nepal as well. It’ll be tricky, but there is certainly still a path to the next round for the Netherlands.

NEPAL (0 points | –0.539 NRR)

Their loss to the Netherlands makes life tough, but Nepal still has three matches up the sleeve, making anything possible. But with the way it appears to be shaking up in Group D, they’ll probably need to win the lot – an extremely difficult ask, considering they’ll start as the underdog in all of them.

SRI LANKA (0 points | –0.777 NRR)

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Sri Lanka needs to beat Nepal and the Netherlands, firstly, then hope South Africa wins big against Bangladesh, plus do a rain dance in Saint Vincent and hope the Bangladesh–Netherlands clash on June 13 doesn’t result. Not impossible?

At the moment Australia , India , SA look favourites
South Africa will blow it in the semis or Super 8s for sure. I hope they get to play Afghanistan on Guyana or something, that could be very fun.

Can definitely see Australia, India and Afghanistan in the semis.

Aus and if weather doesnt impede Eng in this 1st stage along with WI are favorites. Come the SF's - can see the rampaging Aussies go all the way !

Super 8 groups

A : India Australia NZ/Afg.BD/ND
B : US/Pak , SA , WI/Afg , Scot/Eng

South Africa will blow it in the semis or Super 8s for sure. I hope they get to play Afghanistan on Guyana or something, that could be very fun.

Can definitely see Australia, India and Afghanistan in the semis.
I predicted Afghanistan would reach semi's way way back. Their the dark horse of this tournament.

Now that the New York leg is over, will ICC issue an official apology to fans for the travesty of a ground/pitch/viewing experience they provided here?

After 16 inns played by 10 different teams including 7 of these being test playing nations we have seen a highest score of 137.

All the pitches have been spongy and two paced with no trueness.

The outfield has been disastrous with the ball plugging like a golf ball every time it goes in the air and no carpet shot has reached the boundary.

The less said about the greed of ICC in jacking up rates for the tickets at either end the better. It is execrable to see tickets selling at 10k$.
From a fan perspective the extortion level parking prices were another vibe killer.

This is a World Cup and the best players in world have come here to show their skills. Its a damn pity they weren't able to display them because ICC were hell bent on getting a cutaway shot of Statue of Liberty during the drinks break.

Now that the New York leg is over, will ICC issue an official apology to fans for the travesty of a ground/pitch/viewing experience they provided here?

After 16 inns played by 10 different teams including 7 of these being test playing nations we have seen a highest score of 137.

All the pitches have been spongy and two paced with no trueness.

The outfield has been disastrous with the ball plugging like a golf ball every time it goes in the air and no carpet shot has reached the boundary.

The less said about the greed of ICC in jacking up rates for the tickets at either end the better. It is execrable to see tickets selling at 10k$.
From a fan perspective the extortion level parking prices were another vibe killer.

This is a World Cup and the best players in world have come here to show their skills. Its a damn pity they weren't able to display them because ICC were hell bent on getting a cutaway shot of Statue of Liberty during the drinks break.
No one will apologise to anybody

WI or AUS
Agf has the team to win in these conditions but their lack of experience in knock outs may hinder their chances.

Clear route for India, Australia, South Africa and West Indies Semi finals

May be this is the first time so many top teams are on the verge of getting eliminated in first round itself.

Worst average for a top three in T20Is this year (among Top 10 teams)

16.4 - South Africa
21.8 - Bangladesh
22.0 - Sri Lanka
24.0 - New Zealand

Confirmed fixtures, dates and venues for the second round of the T20 World Cup

As the group stage of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 comes to a close, we move to the next chapter in the event, which will see eight remaining teams battle it out for four semi-final spots.

India (Group A), Australia (Group B), Afghanistan (Group C), West Indies (Group C), and South Africa (Group D) are the five teams who have qualified for the second round thus far.

India, Australia, and Afghanistan will feature in Group 1 of the next round, whereas West Indies and South Africa will feature in Group 2. All of these sides have been unbeaten in their respective groups, and are shaping well ahead of the next round.

Bangladesh notched up their second win in the tournament to push for a place in the Second Round of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

Second-round details

The second round commences in Antigua on June 19.

The following day will see the unbeaten India and Afghanistan face-off in Barbados in what looms as a crucial fixture prior to the knockout stages of the tournament. This will also be the first occasion on this tournament that India will play a contest in the Caribbean.

The rampant Afghans will look to make amends for their close loss to Australia at last year's ICC Men's Cricket World Cup when the two sides meet on June 22 in St Vincent. Back-to-back games against formidable opponents can overwhelm most sides but Rashid Khan’s team have shown an indomitable fighting spirit in the tournament thus far.

More crucial fixtures follow up in coming dates: with co-hosts West Indies taking on South Africa in their final Group 2 clash on June 23 in Antigua. The Proteas have historically dominated the West Indies, but the tables were turned last month when the Men in Maroon clean-sweeped the three-game T20I series between the two sides at home.

Another Men’s Cricket World Cup-centric encounter takes place in St Lucia, where finalists India will clash against the eventual winners Australia on June 24.

Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, and St Vincent will host all 12 games in this round.

Fixtures (as per local time)

19 June: A2 v South Africa, North Sound, Antigua

19 June: B1 v West Indies, Gros Islet, St Lucia

20 June: Afghanistan v India, Bridgetown, Barbados

20 June: Australia v D2, North Sound, Antigua

21 June: B1 v South Africa, Gros Islet, St Lucia

21 June: A2 v West Indies, Bridgetown, Barbados

22 June: India v D2, North Sound, Antigua

22 June: Afghanistan v Australia, Arnos Vale, St Vincent

23 June: A2 v B1, Bridgetown, Barbados

23 June: West Indies v South Africa, North Sound, Antigua

24 June: Australia v India, Gros Islet, St Lucia

24 June: Afghanistan v D2, Arnos Vale, St Vincent

ICC

What a pathetic format it is surely a complete nosedive from previous editions , the experiment to play it in US just to please the sugar daddy's behind Masters league etc has flopped as far as entertainment of cricket fans is concerned , it will be a slap on ICC shall Eng NZ and Pak doesn't make the last eight , who in their senses would pay to watch Afghanistan play Scotland or Netherlands play USA

Afghanistan underlined their growing status as the dark horses of the 2024 T20 World Cup with a seven-wicket victory over Papua New Guinea on Thursday to advance to the Super Eight phase of the competition and send New Zealand crashing out. Their players have understood their roles in the team and, more importantly, have been able to adjust quickly to the conditions.
They are a danger to top sides and at least a SF spot is possible I say

What a pathetic format it is surely a complete nosedive from previous editions , the experiment to play it in US just to please the sugar daddy's behind Masters league etc has flopped as far as entertainment of cricket fans is concerned , it will be a slap on ICC shall Eng NZ and Pak doesn't make the last eight , who in their senses would pay to watch Afghanistan play Scotland or Netherlands play USA
As long as India makes it to Super 8s, ICC doesnt care. Its sponsors and broadcasters would be happy.

Should t20 wc really be given the same amount of respect as a odi wc win?

It's a fluke tourney.

Should t20 wc really be given the same amount of respect as a odi wc win?

It's a fluke tourney.
No. It is a fluke tournament. You just have fun as long as it goes on, move on. I never liked international T20s. It is more boring compared to League cricket where teams are more or less balanced.

Westindies, Australia, South Africa and England. I won't rule Afghanistan out. They are the most improved side. India really has a odi team playing t20 and I don't see them beating the better teams especially on flatter tracks. We missed a trick with team selection, it was an opportunity to showcase young fresh talent from our recently concluded IPL but we chose to be conservative.

No. It is a fluke tournament. You just have fun as long as it goes on, move on. I never liked international T20s. It is more boring compared to League cricket where teams are more or less balanced.
It can be very entertaining. Just that barring Afghanistan who try, none of the asian teams want to evolve, entertain and play the game the way it should be played. We won the first and our only t20 world cup in 2007 with a then modern team with real impact players but since have actually regressed in terms of approach with every passing t20 world cup. Of course the award for most boring team inside the cricket field(outright painful to watch IMO) this year is Pakistan. If Pakistani's can assemble what is left of the 1992 world cup winning team (from tv channels, commentary boxes, old age homes, liquor stores, casinos, jail cells, coffins etc) that team will still beat the current team 9 times of out 10(1 match will be potentially rained off).

I don't know who will win but I hope its West Indies.

Personally, I don't want to see any of the Big 3 teams lift the trophy. They win too much as it is, and in the case of Australia and England, they win all the trophies too.

Windies winning on home soil would be a great story. And I feel like West Indies Cricket is in desperate need of a shot in the arm like this.

I don't know who will win but I hope its West Indies.

Personally, I don't want to see any of the Big 3 teams lift the trophy. They win too much as it is, and in the case of Australia and England, they win all the trophies too.

Windies winning on home soil would be a great story. And I feel like West Indies Cricket is in desperate need of a shot in the arm like this.
I still feel the Aussies will clinch this one. They are just too good in all 3 formats.

Back