Born in India, Now in Pakistan: Indian Heart Gives Pakistani Teen New Life

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
An Indian heart has given new life to a young woman from Karachi in Pakistan, and her family, after a transplant surgery at Chennai's MGM Healthcare. And that is only half of this remarkable story; the surgeons, and the hospital, performed the procedure free, thanks to the city-based Aishwaryan Trust.

19-year-old Ayesha Rashan, the transplant recipient, wants to study fashion design. Her family said they could not have afforded the operation without the support of the trust and the Chennai doctors.

"I feel good after the transplant," Ms Rashan told NDTV as her mother thanked the doctors, the hospital, and the medical trust. Ms Rashan's condition is stable, and she can return to Pakistan.

According to the doctors, Ms Rashan was admitted with severe heart dysfunction.

Following heart failure, she was put on ECMO, which is a form of life support for people with life-threatening illness or injury that affects the function of their heart or lungs.

However, her heart pump then developed a leak in a valve, necessitating a full heart transplant.

A heart transplant can cost over ₹ 35 lakh. In Ms Rashan's case, this bill was covered by the doctors and the trust.

The donor heart came from Delhi, and the young girl was lucky, Dr KR Balakrishnan, Director (Institute of Heart and Lung Transplant), and Dr Suresh Rao (Co-Director (Institute of Heart and Lung Transplant), told NDTV.

They said Ms Rashan received the heart rapidly since there were no competing claims as otherwise a foreigner can't get an organ.

"She is like my daughter... every life matters," the doctors said, underlining Chennai's status as the "capital of organ donation and transplant surgery".

Tamil Nadu leads in organ donation and transplants, thanks to pro active initiatives decades ago.

Post a commentThe doctors also made an appeal to the government for a better policy as in other states they say several viable donated organs were being discarded because of the high cost of transplant surgery, which cannot be afforded by most people in the country.

SOURCE: https://www.ndtv.com/south/chennai-...-indian-heart-gives-pak-girl-new-life-5513778

Humanity knows no borders.
True! Humanity trumps everything. I wish I could meet this girl in person. The media says that she is a teenager, so she's at least 20 years younger than me. I'd bless her personally if I ever meet her in life. I just hope she doesn't have to go through any other health issues in her lifetime.​

Not to be controversial. Im surprised india allowed this to go ahead given how non existent relations are between the two nations. From doctors pov they have Hippocratic oath etc. Could Pakistan not have accommodated this? Its a source of huge shame and embarrassment for the medical profession in Pakistan that Pakistanis seeking treatment in the country that bad mouths and hates you. But the current so called gov is the embodiment of this so, well…. hhmm

Obviously from girls perspective its different and I appreciate and understand that. She has been given another chance at life and who would be happy and grateful for that. Kudos to the indian doctors involved.

The indian social media comments will be an interesting read..lol

Well done to Indian doctors. This is why it is important to have healthy relations with all your neighbours. :inti

Not to be controversial. Im surprised india allowed this to go ahead given how non existent relations are between the two nations. From doctors pov they have Hippocratic oath etc. Could Pakistan not have accommodated this? Its a source of huge shame and embarrassment for the medical profession in Pakistan that Pakistanis seeking treatment in the country that bad mouths and hates you. But the current so called gov is the embodiment of this so, well…. hhmm

Obviously from girls perspective its different and I appreciate and understand that. She has been given another chance at life and who would be happy and grateful for that. Kudos to the indian doctors involved.

Pakistani citizens have been receiving medical treatment in India for a long time now.

Child life is precious so I hope that Indian social media comments will take this into account and feel some pride rather than spew hate.

But yes, it is embarrassing for Pakistan.

I know. Its all flowers and roses from Pakistan and Pakistani's towards India

Why wouldn't they allow it? it's all good PR for them, they are very conscious of this.

Why wouldn't they allow it? it's all good PR for them, they are very conscious of this.
Yeah happening for years:l, must be the longest PR effort

Medical tourism: In Indian hospitals, life-saving treatments for Pakistani patients​

India, the neighbourhood doctor

@guard why do you make it seem like its first time and embarrassing for the country?

People from across south Asia and even middle east come to Chennai, so many Bangladeshi residents come to Chennai for surgeries as well, this has been going on for more than a decade now.

Good to see the child saved.

I know. Its all flowers and roses from Pakistan and Pakistani's towards India
Speaking purely from the donor heart recipients pov, im sure if it was my family i would agree with you, but its not that simple is it?!, we ALL know what is going on, let not be that naive. I dont want to score points whatsoever, india obviously has the upper hand here, they did something which Pakistan couldnt, and im sure Pakistanis will keenly feel that. Had the roles been reversed im sure you and your countymen would too.

india handing our flowers since time immemorial, there i said it. Does that make you satisfied..

Anyway… my respect to the indian medical team 👏

Yeah happening for years:l, must be the longest PR effort

Medical tourism: In Indian hospitals, life-saving treatments for Pakistani patients​

India, the neighbourhood doctor

@guard why do you make it seem like its first time and embarrassing for the country?
Im aware that Pakistanis travel to india for medical treatment. I would probably do the same if needs be. Its a bitter pill when the awaam sees the other awaam as hostile, regardless of side.

It should really open the eyes of the corrupt so and so’s who are more interested in acquiring foreign bricks and mortar wealth and precious minerals than the progression the nation and its inhabitants.

Happy for the young child, respectful to the indian medical team and absolutely shameful and shambolic for the lumbero uno’s and their payroll.

Speaking purely from the donor heart recipients pov, im sure if it was my family i would agree with you, but its not that simple is it?!, we ALL know what is going on, let not be that naive. I dont want to score points whatsoever, india obviously has the upper hand here, they did something which Pakistan couldnt, and im sure Pakistanis will keenly feel that. Had the roles been reversed im sure you and your countymen would too.

india handing our flowers since time immemorial, there i said it. Does that make you satisfied..

Anyway… my respect to the indian medical team 👏
A great act of humanity.

Credit where it is due this shows that most Indian's are good people who can see past politics. One way or another many Indian's still look upon Pakistanis as " our own people". It also tells us India's healthcare is on a different league to our joke where mice freely run around in our hospitals. It also exposes how awful every institution in Pakistan is from healthcare to education and law enforcement. There is nothing and no institution in Pak that is working. Wasim Akram also said he suffered no discrimination at all when many years back Indian doctors tried to save the life of his late wife, Huma.

Credit where it is due this shows that most Indian's are good people who can see past politics. One way or another many Indian's still look upon Pakistanis as " our own people". It also tells us India's healthcare is on a different league to our joke where mice freely run around in our hospitals. It also exposes how awful every institution in Pakistan is from healthcare to education and law enforcement. There is nothing and no institution in Pak that is working. Wasim Akram also said he suffered no discrimination at all when many years back Indian doctors tried to save the life of his late wife, Huma.
This girl was probably not helped because ‘Pakistanis were our own people’ but because we have humanity. I bet the doctors would have helped out this girl even if she was not a Pakistani & belonged to any other nationality.

But I agree with you, India has a very good private healthcare system in the cities. Wish though it percolates down to rural India.

This girl was probably not helped because ‘Pakistanis were our own people’ but because we have humanity. I bet the doctors would have helped out this girl even if she was not a Pakistani & belonged to any other nationality.

But I agree with you, India has a very good private healthcare system in the cities. Wish though it percolates down to rural India.
Not only India rather the whole world has humanity. Had our healthcare been any good we too would have helped the less fortunate. I am sure you would have helped a non Pak too but the point is Pak being an enemy country Indian doctors saw past that. That is why the medical profession is considered the most noble one off all.

It will take a long, long time for rural India to gain these facilities.

Been happening for 2 decades , I thought. Wasn't there that famous case of a Pskistani kid having heart surgery in Narayana Hrudayalaya in Bangalore, way back in 2005

Good to see that health profession is way beyond any political interference and tensions. Same should be applied to other professions as well like sports etc.

Its a bitter pill when the awaam sees the other awaam as hostile, regardless of side.

Never in person, when confronted face to face common sense takes over.

In countless environments where Pakistani and Indian citizens, work, study, travel, eat, cheer .....side by side there's perfect harmony. How many times have you seen them fight each other in person (please don't talk about the taxi ranks of Bradford or Southall, those are prejudiced under-educated Britishers?

There are plenty of stories where they have gone the extra mile to help each other where possible. Even in the rare cases where a Pakistani sets foot in India or vice versa, the curiosity, respect and love has been outstanding. I'm not naive and know there are deep prejudices that are unlikely to disappear and manifest themselves in places like social media or online platforms. In person they're all cordial and once they strike a conversation there's no looking back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never in person, when confronted face to face common sense takes over.

In countless environments where Pakistani and Indian citizens, work, study, travel, eat, cheer .....side by side there's perfect harmony. How many times have you seen them fight each other in person (please don't talk about the taxi ranks of Bradford or Southall, those are prejudiced under-educated Britishers?

There are plenty of stories where they have gone the extra mile to help each other where possible. Even in the rare cases where a Pakistani sets foot in India or vice versa, the curiosity, respect and love has been outstanding. I'm not naive and know there are deep prejudices that are unlikely to disappear and manifest themselves in places like social media or online platforms. In person they're all cordial and once they strike a conversation there's no looking back.
I agree wholeheartedly. I work alongside south indians in a professional healthcare capacity. We pretty much do as you have described (i have mentioned this in another post elsewhere).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back