Is India the most unsafe place for tourists in the world? The gang rape of a Brazilian tourist in state of Jharkhand has led to widespread outrage

Is India the most unsafe place for women tourists in the world?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Just pathetic!! Gone speechless over this inhumanity
====
The alleged gang rape of a Brazilian tourist in the eastern Indian state of Jharkhand has led to outrage in the country.

The 28-year-old woman and her husband, who were on a motorbike tour, had stopped for the night in Dumki district when the alleged attack took place.

Police say that they have arrested four men and are searching for three more.
The identities of the men, who are also accused of beating the woman's partner, have not been disclosed yet.

The couple had travelled to several parts of Asia on their motorbikes before arriving in India a few months ago.
Over the weekend, the woman posted a video on their Instagram page which has 234,000 followers.

"Seven men raped me. They have beaten us and robbed us, although not many things [were taken] because what they wanted was to rape me," she said in Spanish, adding that the men beat them and threatened to kill them.

In a separate video, her husband, who is Spanish, said: "My mouth is destroyed, but my partner is worse than me. They have hit me with the helmet several times, with a stone on the head. Thank goodness she was wearing the jacket and that stops the blows a little."

Dumka's police superintendent Pitamber Singh Kherwar told reporters the couple flagged down a patrol van which took them to a local health centre for treatment.

"The couple were speaking in a mixture of English and Spanish so the patrolling team could not understand them initially. But they appeared visibly injured so they were taken for treatment," he said, adding that the couple then told doctors about the alleged rape.

The Brazilian embassy in India told the BBC that the woman - who has dual Brazilian-Spanish nationality - and her husband "were victims of a serious criminal attack". The embassy said it had contacted the woman and local authorities as well as the Spanish embassy, as the couple had used Spanish passports to enter India.

"The Spanish embassy said that it had offered all the assistance available, including psychological care, but that the victims had declined the offer as they were already being looked after by the Indian emergency services," the Brazilian embassy said, adding that it would continue to "monitor all developments".
The BBC has reached out to the Spanish embassy for comment.

"We need to stand united in our commitment to end violence against women everywhere in the world," the Spanish embassy in India posted on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday.

Conversations around rape and sexual violence became more prominent in India after the 2012 gang rape and murder of a young woman on a bus in Delhi led to huge protests and changes to the country's rape laws. But tens of thousands of rapes are reported every year and activists say there is still a long way to go to tackle the issue.

Over the weekend, several women shared their stories of dealing with unwanted sexual attention while travelling in India.

The chief of India's National Commission for Women, Rekha Sharma, also sparked criticism after she responded to a post from a US journalist who wrote that while India was one of his favourite places, "the level of sexual aggression" he witnessed while living in the country was "unlike anywhere else I have ever been". He also gave a couple of examples of sexual assault faced by women he knew.

"Did you ever report the incident to police?" Ms Sharma wrote. "If not then you are totally an irresponsible person. Writing only on social media and defaming whole country is not good choice."
The response led to an outpouring of criticism from people on social media.

Several people have also left comments under the couple's Instagram and YouTube videos, expressing solidarity and sympathy with them.

Source: BBC News

Unsafe? Yes 100% by developed countries standards. It is unsafe for men also, not to the same extent though.

Most unsafe? No, not even in top 20.

Problem with India is that it's a sexually repressed country. It may one day exceed per capita GDP of countries like Philippines, Brazil, Mexico but those countries are not sexually repressed despite being very catholic. I have been to these 3 countries and due to weather woman are scantly clothed still no rapes or anything like that, woman in these 3 countries are very attractive and seductive.

It's unfortunate that you start with such a provocative headline. India saw upwards of 9 million foreign tourists in 2023. To the point raised by @Tera Gawaandi above, the Subcontinent is the most sexually repressed population in the world and these unfortunate incidents do keep happening. However, I wouldn't even call it close to the most unsafe place for tourists.

Much as we might want to bring new tourist venues into the spotlight, we have to ensure tourist population is directed towards well regulated and policed areas which have some experience with foreigners.

It's unfortunate that you start with such a provocative headline. India saw upwards of 9 million foreign tourists in 2023. To the point raised by @Tera Gawaandi above, the Subcontinent is the most sexually repressed population in the world and these unfortunate incidents do keep happening. However, I wouldn't even call it close to the most unsafe place for tourists.

Much as we might want to bring new tourist venues into the spotlight, we have to ensure tourist population is directed towards well regulated and policed areas which have some experience with foreigners.
It is a standard in journalism, that when you are not sure, but still want the story, you make a question as a headline.

The outrage is more if the victim is a foreigner, because then the middle class wants to protect national image. Same had happened in Pakistan when an american vlogger met the same fate, and people were more outrages because "national image".

Unsafe? Yes 100% by developed countries standards. It is unsafe for men also, not to the same extent though.

Most unsafe? No, not even in top 20.

Problem with India is that it's a sexually repressed country. It may one day exceed per capita GDP of countries like Philippines, Brazil, Mexico but those countries are not sexually repressed despite being very catholic. I have been to these 3 countries and due to weather woman are scantly clothed still no rapes or anything like that, woman in these 3 countries are very attractive and seductive.
"Compare the results of the Women’s Danger Index to Thomson Reuters Foundation‘s 2018 ranking of the most dangerous countries for women, where India topped the list and the United States made it into the top 10—the only Western country to be included. "

So what are you talking about bro? The above quote is from following source.

How many from the 9 million were raped or victims of sexual harassment of some sort.

If the population is indeed as sexually repressed as you guys state then we can perhaps conservatively wager that at least 3 million people fell victim to Indian perverts.

That's far too many.

One thing is a given, they're consistent, such headlines break out regularly. Let's also accept the fact that this crime happened to a well informed individual who let the world know, because she wanted the perverts to face justice. Imagine the plight of many who are quiet about their ordeal not knowing who to turn to. As much as India develops and shouts about it from top of the roof, pockets of it are still stuck in the stone age! People saying they shouldn't venture to remote areas, need to realise that they travelled all over and were coming from Pakistan where they faced no issues.

How many from the 9 million were raped or victims of sexual harassment of some sort.

If the population is indeed as sexually repressed as you guys state then we can perhaps conservatively wager that at least 3 million people fell victim to Indian perverts.

That's far too many.
Are you asking if there's data on these incidents? No there's not. Anecdotally, we hear 5-10 cases and a year and given the general fact that there is substantial underreporting in such cases, we could assume a multiple of that as real incidents. So you're probably right that it's still a tiny proportion and gets overstated in the media as it's often "white" women that are targeted which tends to make the news.

On the other hand, we can't deny that the subcontinent consistently ranks poorly in women safety metrics. Safety for women foreign tourists is a subset of safety for women in public spaces and we have a poor record for that. The Gallup World Poll on the question " “feel safe walking alone at night in the city or area where you live” for women over 15 says less than 60% answer yes on this question for the subcontinent. If our women don't feel safe, how will foreign tourist women?

Horrific news. I hope the guilty are caught and punished and god gives strength to the victim.

Just a few months ago BJP IT cell workers raped a woman at gunpoint on the campus of IIT-BHU (one of the most prestigious colleges in India), the police didn’t do anything for over 2 months and the accused went and campaigned for BJP in election campaign in Madhya Pradesh, only after the students protested for months the news made headlines in non-Godi news channels that the accused were caught.

In a country where law and order ain’t the best you have examples such as the above, it gives a sense of getting away with crime to the crooks.

You need to bring swift justice and crime rate will drop. However, most of the crooks are on payroll of politicians so crime rate can never go down.

Horrific news. I hope the guilty are caught and punished and god gives strength to the victim.

Just a few months ago BJP IT cell workers raped a woman at gunpoint on the campus of IIT-BHU (one of the most prestigious colleges in India), the police didn’t do anything for over 2 months and the accused went and campaigned for BJP in election campaign in Madhya Pradesh, only after the students protested for months the news made headlines in non-Godi news channels that the accused were caught.

In a country where law and order ain’t the best you have examples such as the above, it gives a sense of getting away with crime to the crooks.

You need to bring swift justice and crime rate will drop. However, most of the crooks are on payroll of politicians so crime rate can never go down.
Yep swift justice required, surely this will affect the tourism in India in upcoming months.

Yep swift justice required, surely this will affect the tourism in India in upcoming months.

This is not the first case of rape with a foreign tourist and it won’t be the last.

Tourism in India will continue, however, till the safety is ensured and cities cleaned it will never reach its full potential.

I have spoken quite recently about the problem with subcontinent mob culture, this is just another extension of that. On that occasion it was re some blasphemy outrage in Pakistan, when I said it was a problem across the whole continent it upset a few people, but this just reinforces the point.

India is still very much a third world country with third world mentality. Tourist safety can no way be guaranteed.

I have spoken quite recently about the problem with subcontinent mob culture, this is just another extension of that. On that occasion it was re some blasphemy outrage in Pakistan, when I said it was a problem across the whole continent it upset a few people, but this just reinforces the point.

India is still very much a third world country with third world mentality. Tourist safety can no way be guaranteed.
Let's not exaggerate things. If we look at the recent racist killings in the US, no subcontinental student should travel there. Yet hundreds of thousands of Indian students go there and millions of foreign tourists come here.

Also no point tarring everything with the same brush. Mob mentality (especially on emotional issues) is a problem in developing countries. There was a time when whites used to lynch blacks in the States on vague rumours of a white blonde woman having been looked at wrong. They got past it. We'll get past it. Till then, it behooves everyone to be a little extra careful and sensitive.

Let's not exaggerate things. If we look at the recent racist killings in the US, no subcontinental student should travel there. Yet hundreds of thousands of Indian students go there and millions of foreign tourists come here.

Also no point tarring everything with the same brush. Mob mentality (especially on emotional issues) is a problem in developing countries. There was a time when whites used to lynch blacks in the States on vague rumours of a white blonde woman having been looked at wrong. They got past it. We'll get past it. Till then, it behooves everyone to be a little extra careful and sensitive.

Well that is the point, in the USA we got past it over half a century ago. I do agree that we need to show some perspective when it comes to developing countries, but this applies across the board, when we get some communities getting too far ahead of themselves it is sometimes necessary to face some home truths.

There's a lot of lecherous men in the BIMARU states.

This is just diluting the problem when you spread it across regions and serves no purpose except deflection. This is 2023 index of Women Peace and Security Index. Even this is generalized based on country, but if you go finer some provinces will come off worse than others.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 7.57.04 PM.png

Foreign tourists should stick to big cities. Going to remote areas and underdeveloped areas comes with a risk.

Need more survives like this

“The Spanish embassy said that it had offered all the assistance available, including psychological care, but that the victims had declined the offer as they were already being looked after by the Indian emergency services," the Brazilian embassy said

Over reacting much, mate?

If a bunch of savages raping someone is all it takes to affect tourism, many tourist hotspots across the world would be completely free of visitors. India still gets nearly 11 million tourists every year, despite all the bad rep, as do many other countries that have high rates of rape.

We all condemn such incidents and want the rapists to get the harshest punishment. Why don't we let the law enforcement deal with it, instead of going around acting up and judging an entire country?

Foreign tourists should stick to big cities. Going to remote areas and underdeveloped areas comes with a risk.
Not true. Big cities can be dangerous while many remote areas can be quite safe. This is again the kind of warped judgement that needs to go.

That said, I really think India should bring about a law mandating chemical castration of rapists. Enough of these brutes getting arrested, jailed for some time and then coming back to repeat their heinous acts again.

Don't know how rankings are calculated, but India is a very dangerous place for women. No point getting defensive over these things, most of us get stressed every time our female family members step out of the house.

Hope the animals who did this are made to suffer.

i hope the western celebrities are safe in india. Fear for the safety of the female celebrities

I hope the lady is okay now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rape was done by a bunch of BJP supporters.

BIMARU state - check
Hostile - check

Not true. Big cities can be dangerous while many remote areas can be quite safe. This is again the kind of warped judgement that needs to go.

That said, I really think India should bring about a law mandating chemical castration of rapists. Enough of these brutes getting arrested, jailed for some time and then coming back to repeat their heinous acts again.
Most developing and poor countries have no go zones for tourists. India should also do that. Anyone going beyond the tourist spots are going at their own risk.
Most Caribbean Islands, African countries and South American countries have specific tourist spots which are quite safe and modern. You travel beyond that, expect to be mugged or robbed or even raped.

In India let alone foreigners even locals are not able to get justice in such cases ever, on most occassions.

We all know India is known as "The rape capital of the world". Most likely countless women in India are molested every day but they don't bother reporting it. There would be no point in doing so anyway when often the perpetrators are the police themselves or they are in cahoots with the criminals . However, when a foreign lady suffers such an ordeal then she will not remain silent. This is when India is repeatedly exposed for what it is. When you show women as sexual objects of desire and lust in all your films than such things are normal. Blame Bollywood.

We all know India is known as "The rape capital of the world". Most likely countless women in India are molested every day but they don't bother reporting it. There would be no point in doing so anyway when often the perpetrators are the police themselves or they are in cahoots with the criminals . However, when a foreign lady suffers such an ordeal then she will not remain silent. This is when India is repeatedly exposed for what it is. When you show women as sexual objects of desire and lust in all your films than such things are normal. Blame Bollywood.
There is truth to what you said, but the issue is with most sexually repressed countries, cultures and societies.

There is truth to what you said, but the issue is with most sexually repressed countries, cultures and societies.
I believe it is the Indian entertainment industry that is so sexualised. Not saying it is totally responsible but to a large degree it certainly is. How can it be repression when in Hinduism sex is seen as something to celebrate? Kamasutra and all!

I believe it is the Indian entertainment industry that is so sexualised. Not saying it is totally responsible but to a large degree it certainly is. How can it be repression when in Hinduism sex is seen as something to celebrate? Kamasutra and all!
Centuries ago, sex was not a taboo. With the Turkish conquests, the morality seems to have massively tilted towards conservatism.

So rape is okay today in India?
Rape was never okay. Consensual sex seemed to be okay as per the carvings on the stones and it was not something to be frowned upon or punished. People seemed to be a lot more open minded back then.

Centuries ago, sex was not a taboo. With the Turkish conquests, the morality seems to have massively tilted towards conservatism.

The Turkish conquests were centuries ago. Turks themselves as a Muslim country are walking around in shorts and bikinis today, I think you need to look beyond such flimsy reasoning.

The Turkish conquests were centuries ago. Turks themselves as a Muslim country are walking around in shorts and bikinis today, I think you need to look beyond such flimsy reasoning.
Comparing the Turks of 2024 with the Turks from 10th century.

Cool story.

Comparing the Turks of 2024 with the Turks from 10th century.

Cool story.

You were the one who claimed Indians are repressed sexually in 2024 because of Turkish conquests, so I showed you Turkey in 2024. If you are going to lead the debate down a certain path, why push back when posters follow through on it?

You were the one who claimed Indians are repressed sexually in 2024 because of Turkish conquests, so I showed you Turkey in 2024. If you are going to lead the debate down a certain path, why push back when posters follow through on it?
Its not due to Turkish rule alone. Of course there will be other factors. The transition of India from a open society to conservative one coincides with the Turkic rule.

Its not due to Turkish rule alone. Of course there will be other factors. The transition of India from a open society to conservative one coincides with the Turkic rule.

Are you saying it is the Mughal's fault that Indians (some) rape?

Funny.

Funny.
Its not Mughals fault. That would be stupid. But the purdah system where women are hidden from man's sight is a product of Mughal rule. There can be several reasons for the rape including drinking, p0rn, drugs etc. Patriarchy adds fuel to the fire where women are treated inferior.

Its not Mughals fault. That would be stupid. But the purdah system where women are hidden from man's sight is a product of Mughal rule. There can be several reasons for the rape including drinking, p0rn, drugs etc. Patriarchy adds fuel to the fire where women are treated inferior.

Benevolent patriarchy could've prevented degenerate behaviors (including rape).

I think the issue is Indian media. It is too sexualized and plants wrong ideas in the minds of people.

Western countries aren't saints to preach. There are a bunch of pedophiles.

GH4RvokaQAARuA8

Benevolent patriarchy could've prevented degenerate behaviors (including rape).

I think the issue is Indian media. It is too sexualized and plants wrong ideas in the minds of people.
There is no benevolent patriarchy. When you put males in charge of female choices, they will impose their insecurities on the females. Not good for women. Patriarchy is as bad as feminism.

Funny.
Why not?
Mughals captured women and made them sex slaves, subjecting them to rape.

You always claim that the Mughals were the main reason for development in the Indian subcontinent blah blah, right?
Take this credit as well, Mughals are responsible for mob lynching, rape, blasphemy, etc.

Why not?
Mughals captured women and made them sex slaves, subjecting them to rape.

You always claim that the Mughals were the main reason for development in the Indian subcontinent blah blah, right?
Take this credit as well, Mughals are responsible for mob lynching, rape, blasphemy, etc.

Fix your sexualized media. Ask BIMARU men to use cold water. These can help with fixing the issue.

Blaming Mughals for this is laughable.

Fix your sexualized media. Ask BIMARU men to use cold water. These can help with fixing the issue.

Blaming Mughals for this is laughable.
Perhaps BIMARU men took a leaf out of the Mughals' book. :dw

Crime is crime; it has nothing to do with the past. I am condemning it, unlike someone who generalized Pakistani mob incidents as linked with Indian culture.

Perhaps BIMARU men took a leaf out of the Mughals' book. :dw

Crime is crime; it has nothing to do with the past. I am condemning it, unlike someone who generalized Pakistani mob incidents as linked with Indian culture.

Then why are you linking it to Mughals?

Over reacting much, mate?

If a bunch of savages raping someone is all it takes to affect tourism, many tourist hotspots across the world would be completely free of visitors. India still gets nearly 11 million tourists every year, despite all the bad rep, as do many other countries that have high rates of rape.

We all condemn such incidents and want the rapists to get the harshest punishment. Why don't we let the law enforcement deal with it, instead of going around acting up and judging an entire country?

Its not overreaction, its a wish.

This is true only to a certain extent. A very open Indian society where sex was not seen as a taboo but as an essential part of life, both for procreation and enjoyment changed into a purdah system post Islamic rule.

But that's only partially responsible for the conservative society we live in. Don't forget we were ruled by a Victorian colonial power who were no less.

And what stopped India from going back to its roots and not make sex a taboo. The society needs reform.

Where do people get this idea that India was some kind of super-open sexual nirvana society about a 1000 years ago before all the abrahmic invaders came ? Because of a couple of stone carvings lol ?

What a joke.

This is a extremely sad incident. 3 perpetrators have been arrested. The couple have received monetary compensation as per law.

But that doesn't solve the issue. Indian police is severely handicapped in terms of manpower.

There are stupid outdated laws which allows a woman to file rape by just stating that she had sex with a man because he promised to marry her. These cases happen even after years of consensual sex.

Such cases take-up valuable police resources while we have heinous crimes that go unchecked.

Having said all this, roaming in a state like Jharkhand, in interiors like Godda at night is extremely unsafe.

They could have been robbed or worse murdered.

This is the coal mafia belt.

Where do people get this idea that India was some kind of super-open sexual nirvana society about a 1000 years ago before all the abrahmic invaders came ? Because of a couple of stone carvings lol ?

What a joke.

In India sex was not seen as a taboo. Neither was prostitution. Prostitution was considered essential for the society.

Sex was considered an essential part of the human life.

Do you know who Amrapali or Vasantsena were?

What a joke.
Not just a couple of temples. These temples and stone carvings can be found all over India.
India was no utopia for women. But the influx of moral lords from the west did not help.

In India sex was not seen as a taboo. Neither was prostitution. Prostitution was considered essential for the society.

He obviously has no idea. Purdah is observed strongly in North belt in Mughal strong hold. That is where most atrocities in the women happen. You don’t see any purdah system in south India.

Rape was never okay. Consensual sex seemed to be okay as per the carvings on the stones and it was not something to be frowned upon or punished. People seemed to be a lot more open minded back then.
That is the thing that for Muslim's consensual intercourse outside marriage is not okay at all. I do not see any open mindedness in this whatsoever. This is a recent phenomena in India that will hopefully end. Indian's don't have to see everything through western eyes.

The bolded is very interesting. Do you personally consider it taboo? If, for example, a female relative decided to serve society in this way, how would you or a conservative Hindu receive her?

He obviously has no idea. Purdah is observed strongly in North belt in Mughal strong hold. That is where most atrocities in the women happen. You don’t see any purdah system in south India.

South India is like a different species to most Pakistanis, although we have seen large swathes of them coming over in more recent times. Their language is foreign, their food is different, but actually a lot of them seem to be far more friendly, not sure if that is because there are a lot of Tamils arrived after the Sri Lanka dust up.

Its not overreaction, its a wish.

Meanwhile western world:

---
---

UK negotiators fly to India in last-ditch effort to seal free-trade deal​

British negotiators have flown to India in a last-ditch attempt to clinch a trade deal amid concerns that Narendra Modi’s administration intends to hold out for a Labour government.

A team of negotiators led by a senior civil servant flew out on Monday with a mandate to resolve the goods and services chapters, which are among the thorniest outstanding issues in the talks.

Who were they ?

Is there a link between Purdah and atrocities against women ?

Is there a link between Purdah and atrocities against women ?
Women become sexual objects of desire. Their worth will become nothing but their sexual value. The more they are hidden, the more men become lecherous.

Women become sexual objects of desire. Their worth will become nothing but their sexual value. The more they are hidden, the more men become lecherous.

Does this mean that when women wear less clothing they lose sexual desirability? :unsure:

Never have heard such an argument before, I think the reality is quite opposite.

sorry to say but if we go by your argument then women with bikinies are the most difficult target for men...and that sounds silly.

The mysterious death of a 37-year-old foreign woman in the city of Bengaluru, in the Indian state of Karnataka, has sent the police authorities racing.

According to media reports, the police said that the body of a woman, who belongs to Uzbekistan, has been recovered from a hotel room in Bengaluru.

The woman, identified as Zareen, had arrived in Bengaluru on March 5 and was staying at the hotel, according to the police.

The hotel staff knocked on the door of Zareen's room at 4:30 PM, but there was no response from inside. The staff opened the door with the master key and found the dead body of the woman.

Shekhar HT, DCP, Bengaluru Central, said that the police suspect that Zareen's death was due to suffocation, but nothing conclusive can be said at this point.

He added that the woman's body was shifted to the hospital for post-mortem, after which the investigation will be carried out. As far as we have been informed, she was living alone in the room.

The forensic team, police, and dog squad examined the room for investigation. On the complaint of the hotel manager, a case was registered for the woman's mysterious death. Police are also probing CCTV footage and hotel registers.

ARY

India just becoming a hell for foreign tourists now. Things used to be very different a decade ago.

One after another, incidents are occurring in India with tourists, but tourists are not stopping going there because the international media does not take it seriously and does not spread awareness.

One after another, incidents are occurring in India with tourists, but tourists are not stopping going there because the international media does not take it seriously and does not spread awareness.

India is such a huge global market for the west it is more advantageous to keep quiet about the odd death or rape, and just build good relations so we can sell our goods and services there.

India is such a huge global market for the west it is more advantageous to keep quiet about the odd death or rape, and just build good relations so we can sell our goods and services there.
Goods? India sells its consultancy services to UK not the opposite , don’t include yourself with US or Aus, you aren’t the same with services and goods.

No they do take it seriously, the embassy will give a warning if there is an issue.

But tourism is huge in India and many tourists know that the danger is same as going to other countries.

Sorry to know about the woman, hopefully investigation is carried.

Back