Boxing Thread

Crawford v Spence announced for the Undisputed title end of July. Should be a good fight.

I still wont believe this until that first bell rings :))

But this is hugely positive, if it gets booked, it will challenge GGG/Canelo for the fight of our era and arguably, this century

Leigh Wood gained revenge on Mauricio Lara by unanimous points decision as he regained the WBA featherweight title with an impressive display.

I still wont believe this until that first bell rings :))

But this is hugely positive, if it gets booked, it will challenge GGG/Canelo for the fight of our era and arguably, this century
Great fight. Fight of the century. That’s a bit far fetched

Glad Billiam Smith beat okolie, he should take up WWE with all his hugging.

Good win for leigh Woods, Also Lopez last night

Some excellent fights

Great fight. Fight of the century. That’s a bit far fetched

Two highly gifted, unbeaten welterweights in their prime, not just battling for all the alphabet titles, but the lineal welterweight championship, arguably Boxing's flagship division for the purist given the lack of a ceiling for the variable skills on offer.

Which fights have you seen since the 2000's that this doesn't compare to?

Glad Billiam Smith beat okolie, he should take up WWE with all his hugging.

Good win for leigh Woods, Also Lopez last night

Some excellent fights

I agree, no one should ever have to pay to see that man fight in a local gym, let alone an arena.

Incredible stuff from Woods, to be knocked out brutally, it doesn't matter who you are, it takes a monumental effort to mentally bounce back; to do that and regain his world titles is HOF stuff, not saying he's going there, but it's the mark of a great fighter.

Really disappointed in Conlan, that Woods fight took everything out of him, how much more does he have left? I hope he can recover but it's going be very tough, he may end up like Kevin Mitchell

Two highly gifted, unbeaten welterweights in their prime, not just battling for all the alphabet titles, but the lineal welterweight championship, arguably Boxing's flagship division for the purist given the lack of a ceiling for the variable skills on offer.

Which fights have you seen since the 2000's that this doesn't compare to?

It’s the most eagerly waiting fight for me in years . No doubt top level fight. But ti say fight of the century is just too much. . Anyway. Who do have winning. Crawford heavier hands but a bit older , Spence a bit slicker but less experienced. ? Crawford has a mean streak in him. . Will be hell of a fight

It’s the most eagerly waiting fight for me in years . No doubt top level fight. But ti say fight of the century is just too much. . Anyway. Who do have winning. Crawford heavier hands but a bit older , Spence a bit slicker but less experienced. ? Crawford has a mean streak in him. . Will be hell of a fight

I genuinely believe it’s a big contender on paper, it has been a long time coming in the 147 lb division we’re witnessing history, not saying it is for sure because we’ve had many great fights:

Coralles vs Castillo
Ward vs Gatti
Canelo vs GGG 2

This is right up there though but extra spice given the stakes, these two will be in the HOF one day.

It’s a pick em, and I will be happy to be wrong, but I am leaning towards Crawford. I just think he will find a way to make a major adjustment at some point in the fight. Spence will need to be ruthless with his body attack and look to impose his size + make TC pay for his lack of head movement early on with a powerful back hand, while Crawford will look to take away Spence’s balance with his positioning, inevitably landing flush when be is square.

Speed: Crawford
Power: Even
Footwork: Crawford
Defence: Spence
IQ: Crawford
Chin: Even
Body Punching: Spence
Versatility: Crawford
Endurance: Even
Resume: Even

I agree, no one should ever have to pay to see that man fight in a local gym, let alone an arena.

Incredible stuff from Woods, to be knocked out brutally, it doesn't matter who you are, it takes a monumental effort to mentally bounce back; to do that and regain his world titles is HOF stuff, not saying he's going there, but it's the mark of a great fighter.

Really disappointed in Conlan, that Woods fight took everything out of him, how much more does he have left? I hope he can recover but it's going be very tough, he may end up like Kevin Mitchell

Conlan is to brace for his own good, that's 2 pretty bad KOs now, in a division with some hard hitters. I don't think he can keep being in brutal wars like that.

It's such a competitive division with top fighters beating each other and no one ducking anyone which is refreshing to see.

Was good to see Woods exact revenge after his defeat last time round.

I will be going with Crawford also. I like both guys though.

It is my hope whoever is the victor, does it by KO; fights like these are difficult to score when judges refuse to utilise 10/10 rounds for close rounds and without 15 round fights anymore, there’s always controversy

I genuinely believe it’s a big contender on paper, it has been a long time coming in the 147 lb division we’re witnessing history, not saying it is for sure because we’ve had many great fights:

Coralles vs Castillo
Ward vs Gatti
Canelo vs GGG 2

This is right up there though but extra spice given the stakes, these two will be in the HOF one day.

It’s a pick em, and I will be happy to be wrong, but I am leaning towards Crawford. I just think he will find a way to make a major adjustment at some point in the fight. Spence will need to be ruthless with his body attack and look to impose his size + make TC pay for his lack of head movement early on with a powerful back hand, while Crawford will look to take away Spence’s balance with his positioning, inevitably landing flush when be is square.

Speed: Crawford
Power: Even
Footwork: Crawford
Defence: Spence
IQ: Crawford
Chin: Even
Body Punching: Spence
Versatility: Crawford
Endurance: Even
Resume: Even

Defo a pick em 50:50 fight, Spence tends to start fights slow and then his brute strength, power and conditioning tends to take over in 2nd half of fights, which we saw when he fought brook and porter. I don't think he can afford a slow start vs Crawford. This fight will go full 12 rounds so think it's down to Crawford to wrack up early rounds before Spence gets into it.

Defo a pick em 50:50 fight, Spence tends to start fights slow and then his brute strength, power and conditioning tends to take over in 2nd half of fights, which we saw when he fought brook and porter. I don't think he can afford a slow start vs Crawford. This fight will go full 12 rounds so think it's down to Crawford to wrack up early rounds before Spence gets into it.

It will be interesting for sure the early stages, Crawford himself likes to take his time at the start and doesn't mind dropping rounds, his power has carried over nicely to the 147 division and he takes full advantage of that deceptive reach for a fighter his height, at 147 lb Crawford has knocked out every fighter he has faced. It will be interesting to see what strategy he employs, especially because swing rounds will go in favour of Spence. His game revolves around getting the KO, I don't expect too much to change. And the same for Spence, he will warm into the fight, knowing the judges are on his side

Josh Taylor vows to make Teofimo Lopez pay for 'disrespectful' words in Madison Square Garden fight

Josh Taylor says he is going to make "clown" Teofimo Lopez pay for his "disrespectful" comments when the pair fight in New York on Saturday night.

Scotland's WBO super-lightweight champion defends his title against Lopez in the early hours of Sunday morning at Madison Square Garden, live on Sky Sports.

Taylor and Lopez have had a war of words ongoing for quite some time and security had to keep the pair apart during a distanced face-off following Thursday's press conference.

"There is genuine dislike here, he's been disrespectful, so a lot of words he's said I'm going to make him pay for on Saturday," Taylor said.

"You'll see a Josh Taylor win, possibly by KO nice and early as well.

"For me this is a dream come true. Starting out as a professional or even as a young kid you always dream of coming over Stateside and fighting in venues like this. This is the mecca of boxing Madison Square Garden.

"Fighting in a place like this, topping the bill and bringing over the Tartan Army. I can't wait to get in there and make another dream become a reality.

"This clown is sitting in my way. He's a piece of cannon fodder, that's all he is."

Taylor came through a contentious bout with bitter rival Jack Catterall last year to remain undefeated. He never lost his belts in the ring but vacated three of his four titles as he looked to make a rematch with Catterall.

The Scotsman suffered an injury earlier this year that saw the mooted bout with Catterall called off. When Lopez was called for a mandatory defence of the WBO championship, Taylor answered the challenge.

Lopez was recognised as the leading lightweight in the world when he beat Vasiliy Lomachenko and unified three championship titles.

Read more: https://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/12898987/taylor-ill-make-clown-lopez-pay-for-disrespect

I was edging towards Lopez before the fight and what a night he has had, when he is switched on mentally, he is up there with any elite fighter in the world; 2 weight lineal world champion at 25 is an astonishing accomplishment.

Before the Catterall fight, it was well known Taylor was struggling with the weight, he had been out a long time and his cut wasn’t managed well, which made matters worse. Bizarrely, rather than address this, he was out even longer prior to this fight; when you’re tight at the weight, it’s almost like you’re jumping off a cliff walking into a fight with the added inactivity. There is more wear and tear on his body to, he has fought exceptional opposition, and often, against his better judgement, he has fought some very physical fights on the inside opposed to using his outstanding back foot game and counter punching capability.

Is he just doing it for the money now? how hungry is Josh Taylor? is he getting the right guidance behind the scenes?

If this is how he will continue to approach fights, it’s better to retire rather than risk serious injury.

If the hunger is still there, he should ask serious questions of himself and his camp. If he does continue at 140, he needs to be more active and have a few lighter touches. Personally, I think he should take a break and then move up if he continues, and take his time growing into the 147 lb division

Josh Taylor v Teofimo Lopez: Scot loses WBO light-welterweight title in New York

Josh Taylor had the last of his world titles wrenched away as Teofimo Lopez outpointed him in New York to become the new WBO light-welterweight champion.

The Scot, 32, has vacated three of his belts since a controversial defence against Jack Catterall 15 months ago and lost the fourth in a ferocious contest at Madison Square Garden.

American Lopez repelled the champion's strong start and ultimately dominated the fight to administer Taylor's first defeat in 20 professional bouts.

Lopez, 25, became a two-weight world champion with the win.

The Edinburgh fighter might have been the beneficiary of a generous judges' decision against Catterall, but he was never going to be so lucky twice and the scorecards read 115-113, 115-113, 117-111, all in favour of the Brooklyn fighter.

For him, there are some mega-fights to come. For Taylor, now a former world champion, there are decisions to make.

"I've no excuses," he said in the ring immediately after the bout. "I wasn't at my best and the better man won on the night. I'd love to do it again but he's the champ so the ball is in his court. I'll most likely move up to welterweight now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65849207

Karma for Taylor after he lost to caterall, Lopez gave Taylor beating he deserved.

Brilliant press conference between Spence and Crawford, really can't wait for this 👏 two fighters at their peak 👏 12 round war next month.

Karma for Taylor after he lost to caterall, Lopez gave Taylor beating he deserved.

We have to cut him some slack, when you look back, his resume is staggering, look at the records of his opposition, he could have padded his record like Kell Brook and coasted on his talent. But he became the best at 140 and was happy to face anyone so early.

Although that shocking win over Catterall still sickens me, worst decision I’ve ever seen in the UK and there are loads on these shores.

Ignoring Boxing for a second, he is a nonce personality wise, similar to Froch. But I like both as fighters

Brilliant press conference between Spence and Crawford, really can't wait for this 👏 two fighters at their peak 👏 12 round war next month.

For these elite fights, I wish we had 15 rounds, it will eliminate the probability of close decisions in a competitive fight because nobody scores close rounds 10/10

Dillian Whyte has questioned whether Anthony Joshua is "serious" about a heavyweight rematch as he revealed that negotiations do not "seem real".

Dillian Whyte has questioned whether Anthony Joshua is "serious" about a heavyweight rematch as he revealed that negotiations do not "seem real".

After AJ’s last showing, I think Whyte could be a good competitive fight. At the same time, he is the sort of guy who will force gun shy AJ to press, if he can’t press against Whyte, he is truly finished

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has expelled the International Boxing Association (IBA), the amateur sport's world governing body, from the Olympic movement.

The decision, confirmed at the Extraordinary IOC Session on Thursday, comes after the IOC's executive board recommended the IBA be stripped of recognition earlier this month.

Joe Joyce: Heavyweight rematch with Zhilei Zhang set for 23 September

The rematch between British heavyweight Joe Joyce and China's Zhilei Zhang will take place at Wembley's OVO Arena on 23 September.

Joyce, 37, lost his unbeaten record in a shock defeat by Zhang in April.

The referee stopped the fight in the sixth round after Joyce's swollen eye had twice been inspected by the ringside doctor.

"I'm coming back to take back what's mine. No compromises. No under-estimating my opponent," Joyce said.

"Nothing, but a win. Last time out I lost my undefeated professional record.

"It was hard to take. But after the dust settled, all that will do is make me better. I've learned lessons. I'm ready. And I am coming for everything."

Joyce was undefeated in 15 fights with 14 knockouts before losing to Zhang at the Copper Box Arena in London.

He activated the rematch clause in May and posted on Twitter: "Rematch clause activated. Taking back what's mine."

Promoter Frank Warren added: "Joe will acknowledge that Zhilei did a number on him at the Copper Box and he has a lot to work on to put it right."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/66035041

Joe Joyce: Heavyweight rematch with Zhilei Zhang set for 23 September

The rematch between British heavyweight Joe Joyce and China's Zhilei Zhang will take place at Wembley's OVO Arena on 23 September.

Joyce, 37, lost his unbeaten record in a shock defeat by Zhang in April.

The referee stopped the fight in the sixth round after Joyce's swollen eye had twice been inspected by the ringside doctor.

"I'm coming back to take back what's mine. No compromises. No under-estimating my opponent," Joyce said.

"Nothing, but a win. Last time out I lost my undefeated professional record.

"It was hard to take. But after the dust settled, all that will do is make me better. I've learned lessons. I'm ready. And I am coming for everything."

Joyce was undefeated in 15 fights with 14 knockouts before losing to Zhang at the Copper Box Arena in London.

He activated the rematch clause in May and posted on Twitter: "Rematch clause activated. Taking back what's mine."

Promoter Frank Warren added: "Joe will acknowledge that Zhilei did a number on him at the Copper Box and he has a lot to work on to put it right."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/66035041

Hmm not sure if he should go in with Zhang again straight away

Crawford demolition of spence Jnr was one of the best displays of boxing, counterpunching and use of footwork, measuring distance ive seen in a long time. This was seen as a 50:50 and Crawford showed why he is Pound for pound number 1. Spence did look weight drained, but no excuses he was beaten by an elite fighter.

Think both fighters now should move up to 154.

Paul was the superior boxer on Saturday night as he routinely beat Diaz to the punch over 10 rounds

Nate Diaz believed that forcing Jake Paul to fight 10 rounds would be to his advantage, allowing him to drain Paul's gas tank and take over the fight late. Instead, Paul dominated nearly every round of the fight up to, and including, the 10th round to score a clear unanimous decision victory.

Paul's boxing was too technical for Diaz, who tried to ugly things up with a face-first style and slapping combinations. Paul had the power to counter Diaz's awkwardness, rattling him in the first round and scoring a fifth-round knockdown off a step-back left hook that sent Diaz nearly spilling through the ropes.

Diaz had moments, but Paul's power was the deciding factor and his cardio never faltered, even fighting 10 rounds for the first time in his career.

"He's tough," Paul said after the fight. "He's real tough, that's what he's known for. But tough in this sport doesn't work. ... I knocked him down, won basically every round. He's a warrior, you know. I hurt him in the first round but he kept on coming."

Anthony Joshua: British heavyweight says 'boxing clearly has a doping problem'​

Anthony Joshua says boxing "clearly has a problem" with doping after Dillian Whyte failed a voluntary drugs test and was pulled out of Saturday's all-British heavyweight contest.

Joshua, 33, will instead fight Robert Helenius at London's O2 Arena, with the 39-year-old Finn taking the fight at just a week's notice.
Asked by BBC Sport if boxing has an issue with doping, Joshua said: "I don't know how they're going to sort it out or what their solution is to this problem. But it clearly has a problem."

For the third time in 12 months, boxing is facing serious questions about the sport's credibility and its anti-doping protocols.

In October last year Conor Benn's bout with Chris Eubank Jr was cancelled in fight week after it emerged Benn had failed two voluntary drug tests. Benn has always protested his innocence, as does Whyte.

Amir Khan was banned for two years after an anti-doping test revealed the presence of a banned substance following his fight against Kell Brook in February 2022.

The case was not heard by an independent tribunal until January 2023.

On Tuesday it was confirmed Joshua would instead fight Helenius. It is the second time Joshua has had to pull an opponent from a fight due to an anti-doping violation.

Read more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/66455710

Boxing is such a dirty sport. While the likes of Whyte and Khan got caught, there are hundreds of boxers who get away it. Boxing needs to do something about doping already.

UK Anti-Doping and the British Boxing Board of Control have appealed against a decision to lift Conor Benn's suspension from boxing.

Benn, 26, failed two voluntary tests for female fertility drug clomifene before his cancelled October bout with Chris Eubank Jr.

UK Anti-Doping issued a suspension in March; the independent National Anti-Doping Panel lifted it after a hearing.

Benn reacted by saying he was "disappointed" to learn of the appeal.

"I'm disappointed at the news of an appeal being made, having already been cleared by both the WBC and National Anti-Doping Panel to continue my career without restriction," the boxer said.

"I am innocent. Nothing has changed and I remain confident in my position."

A UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) statement read: "UK Anti-Doping can today confirm that it has filed an appeal in respect of a decision handed down by the independent National Anti-Doping Panel regarding anti-doping proceedings brought by Ukad against Mr Conor Benn.

"As confirmed previously in Ukad's statement on 28 July 2023, Mr Benn is no longer subject to a provisional suspension."

Oleksandr Usyk's promoter says he has an 'obligation' to deliver undisputed fight with Tyson Fury

Oleksandr Usyk has an "obligation" to face Tyson Fury in an undisputed heavyweight title fight, the Ukrainian's promoter says.

Unified champion Usyk, 36, defends his WBA (Super), WBO and IBF titles against Briton Daniel Dubois on Saturday.

Talks for an historic fight against Britain's WBC champion Fury broke down earlier this year.

"It's our obligation to deliver this fight," Usyk's promoter Alexander Krassyuk said.

"The whole world wants to see this fight. Not just ourselves or people involved in boxing, but the whole world.

"People who know nothing about boxing would love to see the heavyweight undisputed fight for the four belts for the first time in the four-belt era.

"I can promise you and promise all the fans around the world that I will do everything that can depend on me to make this fight happen."

Olympic gold medallist and former undisputed cruiserweight champion Usyk is undefeated in 20 professional fights.

He dethroned Briton Anthony Joshua to become a two-weight champion in September 2021 before winning a rematch 11 months later.

Anthony Joshua v Robert Helenius: Finn's drug test returns 'adverse finding'

Heavyweight Robert Helenius has returned an "adverse analytical finding" following a voluntary drug test taken the day before his bout with Anthony Joshua, Matchroom Boxing says.

Helenius stepped in to face Joshua after initial opponent Dillian Whyte also returned an "adverse analytical finding" in a test before the fight.

AJ knocked out Helenius in round seven at London's O2 Arena on 12 August.

Matchroom were informed of the results on Friday, two weeks after the fight.

"Today, the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) has informed Matchroom and the British Boxing Board of Control that Robert Helenius has returned an adverse analytical finding as part of a random anti-doping protocol," Matchroom said in a statement on social media.

"Matchroom defers to the relevant regulatory authorities on next steps. We vehemently continue to support voluntary anti-doping testing. We are committed to promoting a clean and fair sport for all athletes."

Finland's Helenius accepted the opportunity to face Joshua at less than a week's notice.

The 39-year-old beat Mika Mielonen at a medieval castle in his homeland on 5 August prior to agreeing to replace Whyte in the main event in London.

Asked by BBC Sport if boxing has as issue with doping in the build-up to the bout at the O2 Arena, two-time world champion Joshua said: "The thing is, people do wonder 'how long has this been going on?'.

"It makes me wonder 'how long has this situation been going on?'. In a way, I'm not shocked anymore in boxing.

"It's not only the belt you're competing for, it's leaving this game with your faculties. Boxing is a dangerous, dangerous game. Even on the side of it where anti-doping is involved, people do take it for granted."

Oleksandr Usyk knocks out Daniel Dubois in round nine of heavyweight world title fight in Poland

Ukrainian champion Oleksandr Usyk knocked out Britain's Daniel Dubois in the ninth round to retain his WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight world titles.

Usyk, fighting in front of a partisan 40,000-strong crowd in Poland, knocked Dubois down at the end of round eight.

And in the next round, a tiring Dubois was sent to the canvas again and failed to beat the count.

Usyk took several minutes to recover in round five after being hit with a punch that the referee deemed to be low.

Point of controversy in that fight - many saying Dubois should have won by KO for this shot that was deemed to be a low blow by the referee:

Looks like a clean body shot to me...

Briton Daniel Dubois said he felt "cheated out of victory" after his heavyweight world-title challenge ended in defeat by Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk on a dramatic night in front of 40,000 boisterous fans in Poland.

Dubois, a huge underdog, floored the champion in a controversial fifth round. With Usyk wincing in pain on the canvas, the referee ruled the shot - which appeared to land on the belt line - a low blow.

Usyk, 36, regained control and dropped Dubois, 25, with a flurry of shots in the eighth round at Tarczynski Arena, Wroclaw, before the referee halted the contest following another knockdown in the ninth.

"I didn't think that was a low blow, I thought it landed," Dubois said after the fight.

His promoter Frank Warren agreed, calling it a "complete home decision" as he criticised referee Luis Pabon and said he planned to appeal.

"I like Usyk, but he was not fit to go on and they gave him a couple of minutes to recover," added Warren.

In fact, Usyk took three minutes and 45 seconds before declaring he was fit to resume - fighters are allowed five minutes when caught with a low blow, although Dubois was not deducted a point by the referee.

Usyk, a former undisputed cruiserweight champion, responded well towards the end of the fifth round and reasserted his dominance in rounds seven and eight as he made a successful second defence of his WBA 'Super', IBF and WBO belts.

He also retained his undefeated record, winning a 21st professional bout, to keep hopes of a blockbuster fight with Tyson Fury alive.

"I'm ready to fight Tyson Fury," Usyk said.

"I feel good. I am grateful for my team, my family, my children. I love you. I'm grateful for my country and the Ukrainian army. Thank you so much."

Briton Fury - the WBC world champion - and Usyk have previously failed to agree terms on a historic bout for all four heavyweight belts.

BBC

Prince Naseem's boxing son Aadam Hamed beats tiny opponent on pro debut.

Aadam Hamed insists he's his own man but the young boxer showed glimpses of his dad Prince Naseem on his boxing debut on the undercard of Oleksandr Usyk and Daniel Dubois' fight.

It didn't take long for Prince Naseem's son to show glimpses of his old man.

Aadam Hamed made his pro boxing debut on the undercard of Oleksandr Usyk and Daniel Dubois' fight as he took on Vojtech Hrdy in Poland. Plenty of the talk pre-fight was about the considerable size difference between the pair.

Hamed, who is the youngest son of boxing icon Prince Naseem, was too much for his 17-year-old opponent, winning in the very first round of his career.

While his dad fought at bantamweight and featherweight, Hamed Jr's debut was in the super-welterweight category. And he dominated from the very first second, prompting his opponent's corner to swiftly throw in the towel.

the aadam hamed fight was a joke, found some random kid in a park and put him in a ring to stand and eat a few punches, his corner wanted to throw in the towel but messed it up otherwise the fight would have been 10 less seconds, lol.

good to see sheeraz continue on his way, denzel bentley fight for year end would be interesting.

as far as usyk and ddd goes, the only real winner is fury. usyk got hurt by a very marginal low blow, and ddd decided to take the 10 count after a short arm cross. entertaining fight, but not particularly high on quality tbh.

Chris Eubank Jr stops Liam Smith in 10th round to secure stunning revenge win in Manchester

Chris Eubank Jr stopped Liam Smith in the 10th round to cap a dominant performance and enact revenge in the pair's high-stakes rematch in Manchester on Saturday night.

The reversal of fortune Eubank secured was spectacular as he dropped Smith with a crisp right uppercut in the fourth round and continued to press home his advantage.

In the 10th another sustained attack forced Smith to a knee. Eubank unleashed punches, hammering him on the ropes until the referee intervened at 1-45.

Eubank had been determined to avenge his loss to Smith. In January he had suffered a painful four-round defeat to the Liverpudlian in the AO Arena also.

Eubank relocated his training camp from his Brighton hometown to Las Vegas and linked up with renowned trainer Brian "BoMac" McIntyre, the coach who had taken Terence Crawford to the summit of the sport.

However the pressure on him going into this fight was acute. A second defeat in the same manner as the first would leave him with almost nowhere left to go.

He was on the edge of disaster and, after forcing this rematch with the clause that was in their first contract, he was trying to fight his way off that precipice.

But he did so in extraordinary fashion. He appeared almost over-eager in the opening rounds as he bored forward into clinches, trying to manhandle Smith.

The Liverpudlian tumbled over in the second, and he appeared to struggle with his footing later on in the fight.

Chris Eubank Jr beat Liam Smith by TKO in round 10 of their middleweight rematch after knocking him down twice.

Eubank, 33, dropped Smith in the fourth round, the same round in which the Liverpudlian beat him in their first fight back in January.

Although Eubank was not able to press this advantage, he continued to dominate at Manchester Arena with an impressive range of shots.

And in round 10 the referee stopped the fight after Smith, 35, went down again.

"What happened tonight was supposed to happen in January," Eubank told Sky Sports. "I trained hard, the focus is always there and I dedicate my life to this sport."

Smith admitted he had not been at his best, as he struggled with his movement after appearing to pick up an ankle injury.

"Chris was the better man tonight," he said. "Chris knows how I was with the weight and after the injury, I came down three stone.

"I was flat as they come from the get go. I couldn't move my feet and Chris was sharp."

Daniel Dubois: WBA receives formal appeal to have Oleksandr Usyk defeat declared a no-contest

Promoter Frank Warren has launched an appeal to have Daniel Dubois' world heavyweight title defeat to Oleksandr Usyk last month declared a no-contest and force an immediate rematch.

Dubois floored Usyk in the fifth round of their fight in Poland but it was declared a low blow, giving the Ukrainian time to recover before he went on to stop the Londoner in the ninth round.

The WBA confirmed receipt of the appeal in a short statement, which read: "Daniel Dubois' team sent a formal appeal for last August 26 fight, in which he lost by knockout in nine rounds against Oleksandr Usyk in Wroclaw, Poland.

"The WBA, now that it has received a formal appeal from Dubois' team, will proceed with a review as per the regulations.

"Any decision made regarding this situation will be made under WBA rules and communicated in a timely and appropriate manner."

Usyk was given almost four minutes' recovery time by Puerto Rican referee Luis Pabon following the blow, which Dubois and his team insisted was legal as it appeared to land on the champion's belt line.

Dubois, who later tired and was stopped by Usyk, subsequently failed to attend the post-fight press conference at which both Warren and his trainer Don Charles criticised the referee's decision.

Even if the WBA determine the result of the contest should not change, Dubois and his team hope they will mandate an immediate rematch in order to settle the controversy.

Tyson Fury says the boxing world should "laugh" at him if he is beaten by Francis Ngannou in their fight in Saudi Arabia on 28 October.

Heavyweight world champion Fury, 35, will face former UFC heavyweight champion Ngannou, who has no professional record in boxing.

Briton Fury's WBC title will not be on the line against against Ngannou.

"I need to be on my A-game," Fury said. "There's more on the line now than in a boxing fight."

Fury and 37-year-old Ngannou came face-to-face at a news conference on Thursday in London, which was heavily saturated by references and compliments to Saudi Arabia.

The country has been criticised for using sport to sportwash their image and have reportedly paid millions to bring Fury's bout with Ngannou to the region.

Their contest will take place under the official rules of professional boxing, with three judges ringside adopting the 10-point must system.

Fury is a two-time world champion and defeated Derek Chisora at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in December to extend his unbeaten record to 33 wins and one draw.

"If I lose to an MMA guy I'll never be able to show my face in public again," he added. "It's going to ridicule me - people will chuck it at me forever.

The Morecambe fighter's decision to fight boxing novice Ngannou rather than a credible opponent has been lambasted by purists, particularly after super fights against Anthony Joshua and unified champion Oleksandr Usyk could not be agreed.

"There's more riding on this than ever before," Fury said.

"Whether the media want to take it as a joke, make no mistake Tyson Fury will leave zero stones unturned and I will come in as my fittest and strongest I've ever been to defeat this man.

"If I'm not and I get knocked out, then I want you all to laugh at me. That's what I want, because I deserve it."

BBC

Joe Joyce expects Oleksandr Usyk heavyweight title fight next year: 'I'm coming to take back what's mine'

Joe Joyce believes he will fight Oleksandr Usyk for the WBO, IBF and WBA titles in 2024.

He has boxed Usyk before, in a five-round World Series of Boxing bout when they were amateurs, but expects to challenge him for the unified heavyweight championship next year.

Tyson Fury has exhibited little interest in revisiting the negotiations for an undisputed title fight and Usyk's next mandatory challenger should be Filip Hrgovic.

Joe Joyce believes he will fight Oleksandr Usyk for the WBO, IBF and WBA titles in 2024.

He has boxed Usyk before, in a five-round World Series of Boxing bout when they were amateurs, but expects to challenge him for the unified heavyweight championship next year.

Tyson Fury has exhibited little interest in revisiting the negotiations for an undisputed title fight and Usyk's next mandatory challenger should be Filip Hrgovic.

"I'm coming to take back what's mine and take back that WBO Interim so then I can carry on my journey and become heavyweight champion of the world."

Zhang shocked Joyce when he handed the Londoner a first professional defeat in April, and Joyce will need a different approach if he is to prevail in the rematch.

"If you look at my previous fights, each fight I change a little bit depending on the opponent. I maybe underestimated Zhang a little bit, thought I would get him out of there in the later rounds," Joyce explained.

"Obviously he was very fast and accurate with the left [back] hand and the counter shots. But this time it's going to be different because I'm more motivated and switched on than ever."

Zhang inflicted an eye injury on Joyce that ultimately stopped him in their sixth round. But the Briton does take encouragement from some of his work in that first fight.

"I was still in there and I was quite successful with the amount of shots I threw and landed and if it wasn't for the eye I think he was starting to tire mid-to-late rounds," Joyce said.

"He also knows that so he's been training hard as well. But I think I'm going to get it this time."

Hamzah Sheeraz on his world title ambitions and leaving a legacy for British South Asians in boxing

Hamzah Sheeraz believes he is on the path to greatness after being recognised by his community, days after the best performance of his career.

Sheeraz pipped cricket sensation Naomi Dattani and trailblazing football duo Bhupinder Singh Gill and Anwar Uddin to Sports Personality Of The Year at the Asian Achievers Awards at the weekend, after dazzling on his last outing with a punch-perfect display against Dmytro Mytrofanov.

The referee stopped the middleweight contest early in the second round after Sheeraz dropped his previously unbeaten opponent for the fourth time in the fight, which took place on the undercard of Oleksandr Usyk's controversial heavyweight title win over Daniel Dubois in Wroclaw.

"It was definitely my greatest performance to date - also because of the opponent, who was an undefeated Olympian," Sheeraz told Sky Sports News after picking up his award at a glitzy ceremony at London's Park Lane Hilton.

"I think a lot of people were writing me off, saying it was a step too far for me, especially heading towards his backyard. There was a lot of expectation on his shoulders and everybody thought that I would just fold.

"But, you know, I'm born to do great things."

Knockout artist Sheeraz, who extended his perfect record to 18 wins from 18 fights (14KOs) with the demolition of Mytrofanov, also celebrated seven years since he turned professional at the weekend.

Zhilei Zhang v Joe Joyce II: Chinese heavyweight tells Briton he will end his career on Saturday night

China's Zhilei Zhang told Briton Joe Joyce "I'm here to end your career" before Saturday's heavyweight rematch at Wembley's OVO Arena.

Londoner Joyce, 38, was stopped in the sixth round in April by Zhang, 40, a first career loss for the 'Juggernaut'.

He lost his WBO 'interim' belt and mandatory challenger status to fight unified world champion. Oleksandr Usyk.

"For the first fight you gave me the opportunity, but your team made a mistake in choosing me," Zhang said.

Speaking at Thursday's news conference, he added: "Your team going for the rematch is a bigger mistake. I'm here to end your career."

Joyce, who was undefeated in 15 fights with 14 knockouts before his loss at London's Copper Box Arena, replied: "Let's see it then. Let's have it."

Zhilei Zhang v Joe Joyce II: Briton at career heaviest 20st 1lb for heavyweight rematch

Joe Joyce "took on constructive criticism" to weigh a career heaviest 20st 1lb for Saturday's rematch with Zhilei Zhang at Wembley's OVO Arena, 25lbs heavier than their first fight.

The British heavyweight, 38, had said his weight played a part in April's sixth-round stoppage loss to Zhang.

China's Zhang, 40, is at 20st 7lb.

"I knew the weight was a little bit light last time," said Joyce, who suffered a first career defeat by Zhang.

"Last time I started the camp already on weight. This time I've corrected the weight. I've been a little bit conscious of what I've been eating."

Joyce will look to reclaim the WBO 'interim' title he lost and the mandatory challenger spot for unified world champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"I believe I will get victory in this fight. I reckon I can stop him if I hit him with the right shots," he added.

Zhilei Zhang beats Joe Joyce: British heavyweight suffers back-to-back knockout defeats

British heavyweight Joe Joyce was sensationally stopped in the third round by Zhilei Zhang in London, leaving his dream of securing a world-title shot - and perhaps his career - in tatters.

Joyce once again struggled against the power of 'Big Bang' Zhang before a thunderous counter right hook floored the Londoner at Wembley's OVO Arena.

The 38-year-old admirably rose to his feet but was in no state to continue. Moments after the referee waved off the contest, Joyce sat on his stool receiving oxygen.

The result comes five months after 40-year-old Zhang's shock sixth-round stoppage win over the previously undefeated Joyce.

The Chinese boxer retains the WBO 'interim' title and mandatory challenger status to unified world champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"Like I said before the fight, it's going to end sooner than the first one," Zhang said on TNT Sports.

"Joe, I like him, I respect him and I will let everyone witness Chinese power again."

A distraught Joyce left the ring without conducting a post-fight interview, as a jubilant Zhang embraced with his team.

Joyce has now lost twice in 17 professional outings, while Zhang extends his record to 25 wins, with one defeat and one draw.

great quick win by big bang, also great to see his personality too, he gets across more personality in another language than most english speaking heavyweights do in their native language.

Wow didn’t expect Zhang to beat Joyce twice.

Usyk v Zhang must happen now

pretty sure fury zhang more likely, zhang said it was almost signed before joyce activated the rematch clause. fury zhang in Beijing would be interesting.

Zhilei Zhang v Joe Joyce II: Briton says there is 'no chance' of retirement after loss

Briton Joe Joyce says losing his heavyweight rematch against Zhilei Zhang is "not the end of the world" and has ruled out retirement.

The 38-year-old was knocked out in the third round on Saturday to suffer a second consecutive stoppage loss to China's Zhang.

Zhang, 40, retained the WBO 'interim' belt and a potential world-title shot.

"I'm going to [take] a bit of time... reflect and review where I went wrong," Joyce told BBC Sport post-fight.

Asked if he may consider hanging up the gloves, Joyce - battered and bruised backstage at Wembley's OVO Arena but still willing to speak - replied without hesitation: "No chance.

"I'm feeling good, I'm feeling OK. It's not the end of the world. I can rebuild and come back."

An historic undisputed heavyweight fight between champions Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk has been signed and will take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Additional details, including the fight date, are yet to be announced.

Briton Fury, 35, is the WBC champion and Ukraine's Usyk, 36, holds the WBA (Super), WBO and IBF titles. Delighted to finally get this fight signed, said Queensbury promoter Frank Warren. This is the biggest fight that could possibly be made in our sport. The winner will be crowned the first undisputed heavyweight champion in the four-belt era.

Fury has won 33 fights with one draw since turning professional in 2008.

The Gypsy King must first come through a non-title bout against MMA star Francis Ngannou on 28 October in Riyadh.

Usyk - who has won all 21 pro bouts - defended his titles against Londoner Daniel Dubois in August.

Jai Opetaia v Jordan Thompson: Champion stops Briton in fourth round to retain IBF world title

British cruiserweight Jordan Thompson's world title challenge ended in a brutal fourth-round stoppage loss to IBF and Ring Magazine champion Jai Opetaia in London.

Thompson, 30, appeared out of his depth from the opening bell and was dropped in the third round at Wembley's OVO Arena.

Australian Opetaia, 28, continued to land powerful shots and Thompson was en route to being floored again when the referee halted the contest.

"I thought this fight night was made about Jordan Thompson," a pumped-up Opetaia told Dazn.

"They put me in this small ring thinking they were going to cut me off. I've got good footwork and they put me in this little ring but I've got the power too and they underestimated that, and this is what happens."

Mancunian Thompson was defeated for the first time as a pro in his 16th fight, while the undefeated Opetaia - making a first defence of his belt - extended his record to 23 straight wins.

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez beats Jermell Charlo to defend super-middleweight titles

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez defended his undisputed super-middleweight title by beating Jermell Charlo on points.

Canelo, 33, secured a unanimous 119-108, 118-109 and 118-109 win over the American to retain his WBO, WBC, WBA and IBF belts at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The Mexican knocked Charlo down in the seventh round on the way to a 60th win in 64 fights.

"I'm the best. Who's better? Nobody can beat this Canelo," he said.

Charlo, 33, was undisputed light-middleweight champion until he was stripped of his WBO belt when the fight started.

"I worked all the fight to go in the body," said Canelo, who dropped Charlo for only the second time in his career with an overhand right followed by an uppercut.

"Then I changed the punch and that's what happened. We worked for that.

"We know he's a great fighter. He knows how to move in the ring and we worked that in the gym for three months.

"Three months in the mountains without my family, without everything.

"But I still love boxing. Boxing made me the person I am today. Boxing is my life."

Defeat was the second of Charlo's 38-fight career, having stepped up in weight.

"I just feel like I wasn't me in there," he said. "It's boxing. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

"I'm proud of myself. He didn't knock me out. He hit me with some hard shots."

BBC

Conor Benn v Chris Eubank: Eddie Hearn seeks December UK date with Anthony Joshua on bill

Promoter Eddie Hearn says there is "a huge desire from both camps" to make a Conor Benn-Chris Eubank fight happen.

He has targeted 23 December and wants it to be in Cardiff - despite Benn not having a licence to fight in the UK.

The pair were set to meet 12 months ago - 30 years after their fathers Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank Sr fought - but the bout was cancelled after Benn failed two voluntary doping tests.

"We have every intention to make it happen," Hearn told BBC Radio 5 live.

Hearn said Anthony Joshua, whom he also promotes, could feature on the bill too, with a proposed fight against American heavyweight Deontay Wilder not yet confirmed.

Benn, 27, has always insisted he is innocent of intentionally doping.

A provisional suspension by UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) was lifted by the independent National Anti-Doping Panel in July, but Ukad and the British Boxing Board of Control are appealing against that decision.

While that process continues, Benn does not hold a licence to fight in the UK.

However, Hearn said plans were being put together with Kalle Sauerland, Eubank's promoter, for a "big show" on 23 December.

"Our side with Conor Benn and the side of Kalle Sauerland and Chris Eubank want to move forward and make that fight," Hearn said.

"We feel that because of the situation with Conor Benn's suspension being lifted and winning that case that he should be allowed and able to fight in the UK.

"We're speaking to the British Boxing Board of Control. We think legally there's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to fight in the UK but obviously it's their decision."

He added the aim was to stage the fight at Cardiff's Principality Stadium.

"If we are not allowed to do that, we will hold the fight internationally but our preference of course is to bring that big fight to Britain," he added.

"We also have a rather large heavyweight called Anthony Joshua who's saying: 'Look, if I'm not fighting Deontay Wilder in January, I would quite like to fight in December as well.' So we're trying to work it all out but quite frankly I think it's very unlikely that we don't have a show on 23 December.

"Is it going to feature all of them, is it going to feature one of them? I don't know, but there's a huge desire from both camps of Benn/Eubank to make that fight for 23 December."

Last month, Benn won his first fight since the lifting of his provisional doping suspension, a unanimous points victory against Rodolfo Orozco in Florida.

Earlier the same month Eubank, 34, defeated middleweight rival Liam Smith.

KSI was left dumbstruck after his opponent Tommy Fury was deducted a point before winning a majority decision at the Misfits event at Manchester's AO Arena on Saturday night.

Logan Paul defeated MMA fighter Dillon Danis by disqualification after their six-round heavyweight grudge match ended in a mass brawl at the AO Arena in Manchester on Saturday night.

Connor Coghill: British featherweight in hospital with bleed on brain after defeat by Hopey Price

British featherweight Connor Coghill is in hospital after a bleed on his brain was discovered in the wake of his defeat by Hopey Price in Sheffield.

Hull's Coghill, 28, was knocked down four times as Leeds' Price won the WBA continental belt on 7 October.

Referee Bob Williams stopped the bout - on the Leigh Wood-Josh Warrington card - in the 12th and final round.

Trainer Stefy Bull said Coghill was "in hospital under observation after a scan has discovered a bleed on his brain".

Posting on X, formerly Twitter, Bull added: "Connor has had headaches since his boxing contest last week in Sheffield.

"Obviously it's devastating news for Connor as boxing has been his life since a young age.

"He's stable and resting and wanting people to respect his time during this difficult period.

"Everyone at Stefy Bull Promotions are praying for a full recovery and wish him good health. We will keep you all updated."

Coghill went down in the sixth, 11th and 12th rounds against Price before referee Williams ended the fight when he went down for a second time in the final round.

It was the first defeat of Price's professional career, giving him a record of 14 wins and one loss from 15 bouts.

Joshua Buatsi v Dan Azeez: Saturday's all-British light-heavyweight fight postponed

The all-British fight between light-heavyweights Joshua Buatsi and Dan Azeez has been postponed after Azeez suffered a back injury in training.

Buatsi, 30, and Azeez, 33, were set to fight in a final eliminator at London's O2 Arena on Saturday for the right to meet WBA world champion Dmitry Bivol.

"I'm devastated for this to happen on fight week," said Azeez, who is ranked second with the WBA with Buatsi first.

Promotional company Boxxer says a new fight date will be announced shortly.

Jack Catterall confident of ending Jorge Linares' winning streak against British fighters

Jack Catterall said opponent Jorge Linares "has had his time in the sun" as he looks to end the Venezuelan's unbeaten streak against British fighters.

Light-welterweight Catterall, 30, will face Linares, 38, at Liverpool's M&S Bank Arena on Saturday.

Three-weight champion Linares is on a three-fight losing streak but has beaten all three Britons he has faced.

"When I was given the name Linares it kicked me into action," Catterall said.

Speaking at Thursday's news conference at Mountford Hall in Liverpool, Catterall added: "He's an exciting name. He's been there, done that and got the T-shirt."

Catterall returns to the ring after dominating Darragh Foley in May, dropping the Australian twice in recording a unanimous points victory.

looking forward to hamzah sheeraz fighting liam williams, first stern test against a decent seasoned fighter.

Tyson Fury v Oleksandr Usyk & Anthony Joshua v Deontay Wilder could become double bill in April

Anthony Joshua says his fight with Deontay Wilder could be part of a sensational double bill with Tyson Fury's bout against Oleksandr Usyk.

Champions Fury and Usyk agreed a deal in October for a historic undisputed heavyweight fight, set to take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

"They want to put Usyk-Fury, Joshua-Wilder on the same night. That might not happen until April," Joshua told BBC Sport and other outlets on the sidelines at the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas on Sunday.

Former two-time world heavyweight champion Joshua has been heavily linked with a fight against hard-hitting American Wilder, with his promoter Eddie Hearn previously saying "we've agreed the money, we've agreed everything".

But that fight fell through and no contracts were ever signed between the two parties.

Fury, 35, must first come through uninjured in a non-title bout against MMA star Francis Ngannou on Saturday in Riyadh.

"When Fury gets through Ngannou, it is going to be late October, early November, so I doubt he will now prepare for Usyk and fight in December, it's too short," said Joshua.

"So the next window will probably be in March-April, so that's probably when the undisputed fight will potentially happen.

"Then obviously what we are being told is they want to make it a mega card and they like the sound of Joshua v Wilder on the same card as well."

Briton Fury is the WBC champion and Ukraine's Usyk, 36, holds the WBA, WBO and IBF titles.

The winner will be crowned the first undisputed heavyweight champion in the four-belt era.

Fury has won 33 fights with one draw since turning professional in 2008, while Usyk - who has won all 21 professional bouts - defended his titles against Londoner Daniel Dubois in August.

"The heavyweights always spark the imagination of the fans, and I have no doubt this will be the biggest boxing event of the century," Fury's promoter Frank Warren said in September when the fight was announced, with an intended date of 23 December.

Chris Billam-Smith to defend WBO cruiserweight title against Mateusz Masternak in December

WBO cruiserweight champion Chris Billam-Smith will face Mateusz Masternak at the Bournemouth International Centre on Sunday, 10 December.

Billam-Smith, 33, makes a first defence of the title he won against Lawrence Okolie in May.

Poland's Masternak, 36, has won 47 fights and lost five as a pro.

"Masternak is a superb fighter - he has proven that throughout his career," Billam-Smith said.

"He's got double the amount of fights that I have! He's actually got more KO wins than I have fights, and his only losses are at the very top level.

"His style matches well with mine and I think it's going to be a very exciting fight - I'm really looking forward to it."

Billam-Smith will return to his home town, having dethroned former gym-mate Okolie at Bournemouth's Vitality Stadium earlier this year.

The champion has also signed new long-term agreement with his Boxxerr promotions, with an obligation to contest a rematch with Londoner Okolie in 2024.

Masternak lost to Briton Tony Bellew in a European title bout at London's O2 Arena in 2015 and says he is "looking forward to fighting in England again".

He added: "I think Chris Billam-Smith is a very good boxer. He showed his warrior soul in his last fight and proved that he deserves to be champion. I have a lot of respect for him in that way, but I believe more in my skills and my experience."

BBC

Deontay Wilder: American heavyweight tells Anthony Joshua he is 'ready to fight' as talks continue

Deontay Wilder says it would be a "major disaster" if he and Anthony Joshua never fight.

The American heavyweight is in talks to face Joshua in 2024 after a fight in Saudi Arabia this year fell through.

Wilder, 38, addressed Joshua on social media after the Briton suggested they could share a bill with Oleksandr Usyk and Tyson Fury.

"I'm letting you know I'm ready to fight. Let's make this the best time of our lives," Wilder said.

"[It is] a fight everyone is looking forward to and hopefully it happens and I'm doing everything in my power to make it happen."

Unified champion Usyk (21-0) is set to fight WBC champion Fury (33-0-1) in a long-awaited undisputed fight, but that bout is expected to be announced for 23 December in Saudi Arabia.

Joshua (26-3) said he intends to fight in December, but it is unlikely to be against former WBC champion Wilder.

Promoter Eddie Hearn had suggested a fight between 34-year-old Joshua and Wilder was close in September before potential hosts in Saudi Arabia backed out of the deal.

Wilder (43-2-1) and Joshua have started negotiations from scratch as a result and there has been talk of the bout happening in the United States early next year.

There are no plans to combine the Usyk-Fury fight night with Wilder-Joshua at the moment. Wilder has not fought in the 12 months since his first-round stoppage of Robert Helenius, who was also Joshua's last opponent.

Wilder has made clear he is keen to face Joshua, dismissing Hearn's doubts about the Alabama fighter's enthusiasm for the contest.

"Anthony, you're getting it from the horse's mouth himself: I'm here, I'm ready to go," Wilder said.

"I heard some things your promoter [Hearn] said that my last fight only lasted a short period of time and I haven't fought in a year and he doesn't know if I want to fight or not.

"This would be a major disaster if we were never able to get in the ring and put our stamp down in history."

Tyson Fury v Francis Ngannou: Briton vows to knock opponent 'spark out' in chaotic media conference

Tyson Fury vowed to knock Francis Ngannou "spark out" during a chaotic and pantomime-like media conference which was overshadowed by the antics of the Briton's father.

Fury, 35, will face former UFC champion Ngannou, who has no professional record in boxing, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

WBC heavyweight champion Fury's title will not be on the line.

"I know you can't punch. Zero power," Fury told 37-year-old Ngannou.

The French-Cameroonian replied: "OK, leave your chin on the way and you'll find out."

The exchange appeared orchestrated and light-hearted at times, with both Fury and Ngannou almost breaking character and laughing.

But the limelight of Thursday's media conference in Riyadh was firmly taken by an animated John Fury.

Sat on the top table, Tyson Fury's father began by shouting: "Give me a special mention, the man who bred the champion."

John Fury interrupted throughout, calling on "any man" for a fight - including former heavyweight world champion Mike Tyson.

He took his top off and joined his son at the final head-to-head, before being moved by security.

Tyson Fury v Francis Ngannou: British heavyweight claims controversial split decision victory over ex-UFC fighter

WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury claimed a controversial split decision victory over former UFC fighter Francis Ngannou in Saudi Arabia.

Ngannou, 37, put Fury on the canvas in round three after connecting with a left hook.

But while one judge scored it 95-94 in favour of Ngannou, two gave it to Fury at 96-93 and 95-94.

Fury's WBC heavyweight belt was not on the line.

Ngannou came out tentatively behind the jab in the opening round and Fury seemed content with a slow start as he looked to get a read on his opponent.

Fury got a first taste of Ngannou's power in round two, though, as a cut opened on the forehead of the Gypsy King when he ate a left hook.

Fury hit the canvas in round three when he was found behind the right ear with that same punch and, perhaps still feeling the impact of that shot, struggled to find his rhythm until the fifth round when he caught Ngannou with a straight one-two combination.

After a brief push back from Fury when he started to box at range and have success with his jab, Ngannou again began to land some heavy punches in the latter rounds.

It seemed the scorecards were against Fury and he appeared desperate when lunging forward in the seventh, missing Ngannou and falling to his knees - deemed a slip rather than a knockdown.

Ngannou boxed very smartly when he was able to close the distance, using his MMA skills to clinch and land shots to the body and head.

Fury's face carried the damage as the final bell rang and Ngannou's corner held his arms up high in the expectation that he was on the verge of pulling off the biggest shock in boxing.

But the scorecards controversially fell in the favour of the seasoned boxer.

Biggest robbery I’ve ever seen. Boxing isn’t worth watching when it’s so corrupt.

They didn’t want Fury to lose to protect his next fight with Usyk.

The fight was so one sided. Ngannou won at least 7 rounds in that fight.

If the correct decision was made on the outcome of this fight, this would’ve been the biggest shock in the history of boxing. This was Ngannou’s boxing debut and he was up against an ATG heavyweight boxer.

Even Fury knew he has last. Straight after the last round, he congratulated Ngannou in advance because he knew got beaten.

Ngannou won a lot of hearts for his performance and how humble he was earth when he was interviewed after the fight. I’d love to see him in the ring again.

If I was Usyk I'd have been going home in a good mood. Fury looked very vulnerable.

If he believes Fury is in decline then yes. However, I just think Fury underestimated his opponent and didn’t know what to expect as this was Ngannou’s boxing debut.

Biggest robbery I’ve ever seen. Boxing isn’t worth watching when it’s so corrupt.

They didn’t want Fury to lose to protect his next fight with Usyk.

The fight was so one sided. Ngannou won at least 7 rounds in that fight.

If the correct decision was made on the outcome of this fight, this would’ve been the biggest shock in the history of boxing. This was Ngannou’s boxing debut and he was up against an ATG heavyweight boxer.

Even Fury knew he has last. Straight after the last round, he congratulated Ngannou in advance because he knew got beaten.

Ngannou won a lot of hearts for his performance and how humble he was earth when he was interviewed after the fight. I’d love to see him in the ring again.
Yo WHAT?!

I didn’t catch the fight because it didn’t seem worth it but like everyone else thought this would be a walk in the park for Tyson.

Not to mention how slow Francis looked in all the sparring footage. Not promising at all tbh.

So to hear this is crazy. Gotta catch the recorded full fight.

Yo WHAT?!

I didn’t catch the fight because it didn’t seem worth it but like everyone else thought this would be a walk in the park for Tyson.

Not to mention how slow Francis looked in all the sparring footage. Not promising at all tbh.

So to hear this is crazy. Gotta catch the recorded full fight.

Make sure you watch the fight from start to finish then let me know your thoughts.

wonder how much of it had to do with Mike Tyson as coach.
Nothing lol

Mike is a functioning druggie. He was paid to 'coach ' by the Saudis so he could attend promo events.

I watched the full fight completely shocked at how close it was.

I dont know the ins and outs of boxing from a technical pov but based on yesterday Francis looks like he could tear through the heavy weight vision.

Nothing lol

Mike is a functioning druggie. He was paid to 'coach ' by the Saudis so he could attend promo events.

I watched the full fight completely shocked at how close it was.

I dont know the ins and outs of boxing from a technical pov but based on yesterday Francis looks like he could tear through the heavy weight vision.

How was it close? Ngannou won 7 of those 10 rounds.

How was it close? Ngannou won 7 of those 10 rounds.
Too close to call for me, if Ngannou was declared winner I wouldn't have batted an eye lid. Fury looked like he landed more punches but Francis had the more impact at times

As I said I'm not too knowledgeable on the technical aspects of boxing so if you think its 7-3 in terms of rounds I cant really put forward a knowledsge argument apart from my own gut feel, ( im a fury fan coz of his personality) but from a layman perspective was thoroughly surprised at how well Francis did.

Too close to call for me, if Ngannou was declared winner I wouldn't have batted an eye lid. Fury looked like he landed more punches but Francis had the more impact at times

As I said I'm not too knowledgeable on the technical aspects of boxing so if you think its 7-3 in terms of rounds I cant really put forward a knowledsge argument apart from my own gut feel, ( im a fury fan coz of his personality) but from a layman perspective was thoroughly surprised at how well Francis did.

I'm no expert either. My judgement is based on two things. The eye test and also how the commentators scored it. None of them thought Fury had a chance.

Once the final round had concluded, Fury immediately congratulated Ngannou. He knew he had lost.

Biggest robbery I've ever seen.

I'm no expert either. My judgement is based on two things. The eye test and also how the commentators scored it. None of them thought Fury had a chance.

Once the final round had concluded, Fury immediately congratulated Ngannou. He knew he had lost.

Biggest robbery I've ever seen.

Yep. No way fury won that. But good luck to him, the amount of money he's made in this shocking heavyweight era is mind boggling.

Any other era and Fury is ordinary at best.

Back