Boxing Thread

Conor Benn will fight in America or the Middle East in June, possibly against Manny Pacquiao or Chris Eubank Jr, says promoter Eddie Hearn.

Undisputed super-middleweight champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez will defend his belts against Britain's John Ryder on 6 May in Mexico.

Split draw.

Gruelling , tough fight, great action from both fighters but imo Braithwaite won.

Fury v Usyk is OFF.

Oleksandr Usyk's promoter says they are walking away from the negotiations. More details to follow.

Tyson Fury v Oleksandr Usyk: Promoter Frank Warren says fight is off

Promoter Frank Warren says Tyson Fury's heavyweight fight with Oleksandr Usyk is off - and he "does not think" it will happen in the near future.

Talks over a bout at Wembley Stadium on 29 April have broken down, despite a late bid to salvage the situation.

Usyk had agreed a 70/30 purse split in Fury's favour with terms for a rematch the only outstanding issue.

But Warren said the fight is now a "dead duck" and suggested Usyk had looked "for a way to get out".

"They said the fight must take place before 29 April and if it goes later they want different splits," Warren said.

"The reason they did that was they didn't think Tyson would be ready for the 29th and suddenly Tyson was ready for it.

"He has been in training camp for two and a half weeks, got trainers in from America and they looked for a way to get out."

Fury currently holds the WBC heavyweight belt while Ukraine's Usyk, who beat Britain's Anthony Joshua for a second time last year, has the others in the division.

Warren said Fury had agreed to the principle of a rematch but terms around the deal, and whether it would again be for all of the belts, had not been finalised.

He said Usyk's camp have also been "turned" by potential earnings by fighting in Saudi Arabia later this year by which time Usyk would have to fight other mandatory challengers.

"There is an established rota of who Usyk has to defend against," Warren said.

"That's why after the 29th it goes away."

Both parties have until 1 April to agree a deal after the WBA said it would wait until that date before ordering Usyk to fight mandatory challenger Daniel Dubois.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65037833

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chaos in Manchester as a fighter is shoved to the floor ⚠️<a href="https://t.co/xleJED1SeV">pic.twitter.com/xleJED1SeV</a></p>— Sky Sports (@SkySports) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySports/status/1639265175730634756?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 24, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Benavidez vs plant is pretty even now. I was expecting David to be a big fav. Fighting the year potential

Lawrence Okolie v David Light: Briton defends world title with scrappy points win

Briton Lawrence Okolie defended his WBO cruiserweight title with a comfortable but scrappy points win over David Light at Manchester's AO Arena.

Okolie, 30, was the busier fighter, landing more power punches to beat his mandatory challenger, but he was docked a point for excessive holding.

He had New Zealander Light, 31, in trouble in the 10th and 11th rounds but could not find the finish.

The judges scored it 116-112, 119-108 and 117-110 to Okolie.

Okolie has now won all 19 professional bouts, completing a third defence of the title he won against Krzysztof Glowacki in March 2021.

"I'd give it a five out of 10 because I felt rusty," Okolie - who last fought in February 2022 - told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I was trying to work the jab and I started to get a bit tired which isn't like me. After 13 months out of the ring and everything I've been through it was hard to get going."

Defeat for Light is the first of his career in his 21st fight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65014791

Moses Itauma: 35-second knockout for British heavyweight in second pro fight

British heavyweight prospect Moses Itauma needed only 35 seconds to stop Ramon Ibarra in his second professional fight in Telford.

The 18-year-old wants to become the youngest world heavyweight champion in history, a record currently held by Mike Tyson.

Itauma has spent less than a minute in the ring during his fledgling career.

In January, the Englishman knocked out Czech Republic fighter Marcel Bode in 23 seconds on his pro debut.

Heavyweight legend Tyson was 20 years old when he won his first world title in 1986.

Itauma will return to the ring on 15 April when he appears on the undercard of Joe Joyce's heavyweight fight against China's Zhilei Zhang.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65078526

Moses is a great talent but a bit far fetched to win the belt by 20. He shouldnt rush it, keep learning and keep working hard.

Ibarra was nothing special but even in the 30 secs, you can see his speed and power.

BT sport

AJ v Franklin this Saturday.

Thoughts [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] [MENTION=39031]SpiritOf1903[/MENTION] [MENTION=48620]Cpt. Rishwat[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION]

Last chance saloon for AJ imo, he himself said he will retire if he loses?

Anthony Joshua should retire if he loses to Jermaine Franklin on Saturday, says Johnny Nelson

If Anthony Joshua loses to Jermaine Franklin on Saturday he should retire from boxing, says former WBO cruiserweight champion and expert pundit Johnny Nelson.

I'd expect Anthony Joshua to get it done. But Jermaine Franklin is 29 years old, (has had) 22 fights, won 21, stopped 14 of his opponents and in his last fight against Dillian Whyte people say he should have won. But that's questionable.

My big question is this: Anthony Joshua, after losing two fights on the bounce, has had to relook at his confidence to think 'who am I, do I belong here, do I want this?'

For Anthony Joshua that's everything.

Because he's had to go through a bit of turmoil, mentally, emotionally and come to terms with the fact that he's no longer the best fighter, officially, in the world. He's got to get in the queue again like everybody else.

When fighters are in a hard, tough fight, that will tell you how hungry they are. How much do they really want it? For Anthony Joshua when it comes to boxing Jermaine Franklin, he needs to be dominant, he needs to be smart, he needs to be sharp, he needs to work on that self-confidence.

Because he has the ability. Otherwise he wouldn't have been a world champion twice. So he has the ability.

If Anthony Joshua loses, he jacks it in. If he doesn't jack it, he should jack it. Because it's a hard mountain to climb. Especially when you've had the success and the heights that he's had. So he can't afford to lose. That's a must. Then from that, it's confidence building.

We'll see if he really thinks 'you know what, I can eventually become world champion again, I'll fix what I got wrong'. Because he's only been boxing 10, 11 years as a professional fighter. So if he thinks he can fix what he think he got wrong in regards to why he's not world champion, then there's a reason to stick around still chase the guys that are there, one of them has beaten him twice.

Of course there's that lucrative fight that everyone's talking about, which is him and Tyson Fury, which personally, I fell in love with the idea at first but it was teased so much and it never happened.

So I don't even don't want to talk about it.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...maine-franklin-on-saturday-says-johnny-nelson

Moses is a great talent but a bit far fetched to win the belt by 20. He shouldnt rush it, keep learning and keep working hard.

Ibarra was nothing special but even in the 30 secs, you can see his speed and power.

BT sport

That is a big stretch, especially now, it would be a rarity for a 20 year old to get a title shot even if he was to match Tyson’s resume during that initial destructive phase. Also, Tyson didn’t just maul everyone on the way to a world title, there were tests against Tillis and Green which set him on his way. I can’t think of anyone else but maybe Naz is the exception, who obliterated everyone before challenging for world honours and in that fight against Steve Robinson, he took it very seriously and was composed, gave the champion respect, it was a mature level headed performance, both talents despite their destructive style, at their best didn’t overlook ring smarts when they were needed.

Anyhow, it’s good to have goals I guess, but he should take note of the early portion of Daniel Dubois career.

Thoughts [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION] [MENTION=56933]ElRaja[/MENTION] [MENTION=39031]SpiritOf1903[/MENTION] [MENTION=48620]Cpt. Rishwat[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION]

It should be a walk in the park for AJ, but I question his mental state, is he still away with the fairy’s?

It’s never easy getting the winless monkey off the back and he relies heavily on confidence, any doubt in his mind there will be problems, I still think he should get the W, but need to see a bit more of Franklin and any issues his style could present.

Hopefully he gets the win so that Tyson/AJ becomes a possibility potentially.

tbh i have no idea who franklin is, never seen him box but one look at his record and anything less than a quick KO wont look good for AJ. the whole fury usyk saga has left a bad taste in my mouth as well. i love boxing but i hate it too.

am looking forward to tank garcia more tbh, reckon it'll have old school AK fight vibes with garcias speed, against tanks technical prowess, which will likely prevail in somewhere in the middle.

It should be a walk in the park for AJ, but I question his mental state, is he still away with the fairy’s?

It’s never easy getting the winless monkey off the back and he relies heavily on confidence, any doubt in his mind there will be problems, I still think he should get the W, but need to see a bit more of Franklin and any issues his style could present.

tbh i have no idea who franklin is, never seen him box but one look at his record and anything less than a quick KO wont look good for AJ. the whole fury usyk saga has left a bad taste in my mouth as well. i love boxing but i hate it too.

am looking forward to tank garcia more tbh, reckon it'll have old school AK fight vibes with garcias speed, against tanks technical prowess, which will likely prevail in somewhere in the middle.

You missed this fight v Dillian Whyte. Really good scrap, imo Franklin won but was robbed.

He's since lost some weight, more leaner. Check it out.

I think Uysk got annoyed with the 70-30 deal so wanted the same if he wins and there is a re-match which is fair but Fury declined. Many are saying Fury ducked him but its hard to say.

Yep, Tank v Garcia will be a very good watch.

He does seem to in some wonderland if you watch his interviews. At one point he suggested he will retire if he loses but then also says it doesnt matter if he loses as the Fury fight is a must.

Franklin isnt hard to hit, so AJ should land some serious bombs which should stop Franklin but Franklin can bang too. I think it will be closer than many think.

You missed this fight v Dillian Whyte. Really good scrap, imo Franklin won but was robbed.

I think Uysk got annoyed with the 70-30 deal so wanted the same if he wins and there is a re-match which is fair but Fury declined. Many are saying Fury ducked him but its hard to say.

dont think fury ducked imo, i think the gypsy king/tyson fury jekyll and hyde act just gives himself license to act like a massive b end when hes in gypsy king mode, tried to strong arm usyk and he walked off.

dont think fury ducked imo, i think the gypsy king/tyson fury jekyll and hyde act just gives himself license to act like a massive b end when hes in gypsy king mode, tried to strong arm usyk and he walked off.

Acc to Usyk manager he made 3 x more fighting AJ in Saudi than he would have here. I think the plan is for them to fight someone else once and then try again to fight in Saudi later in the year. Fury should beat him on points by a distance imo ,he size will give him a huge reach advantage and unlike AJ, Fury can move so wont get hit anywhere near as much.

He does seem to in some wonderland if you watch his interviews. At one point he suggested he will retire if he loses but then also says it doesnt matter if he loses as the Fury fight is a must.

Franklin isnt hard to hit, so AJ should land some serious bombs which should stop Franklin but Franklin can bang too. I think it will be closer than many think.

Nice, I checked that fight out last night, I agree, I was leaning towards Franklin but knew he’d not get the decision. We in the UK love to cry foul about robberies but I’ve not seen more horrific home town cooking, then right here and the worst of the lot, has been matchroom FC. And I like Whyte. Franklin is a very tidy fighter, he does a bit of everything well and has a decent chin, but against AJ he can’t afford to be static, I think it will be a decent scrap but a lot depends on how well he can move laterally and also show some courage to land a few clean shots, because AJ tends to get a bit scrambled. AJ is looking in phenomenal shape and if there was an ace in the pack, that would be Derek James, old fashioned, no nonsense approach to training which revolves around ring activity, aggression and strong mental conditioning which AJ has struggled with in recent times. James has an uncanny knack for polishing technical ability and instilling self belief, the only guy out there right now with two champions in his gym, arguably the best in the world, if he can’t find AJ’s dog no one can.

Acc to Usyk manager he made 3 x more fighting AJ in Saudi than he would have here. I think the plan is for them to fight someone else once and then try again to fight in Saudi later in the year. Fury should beat him on points by a distance imo ,he size will give him a huge reach advantage and unlike AJ, Fury can move so wont get hit anywhere near as much.

Fury originally wanted to fight Usyk in the winter, but Usky needed a break, prior to that there were issues trying to get AJ to take step aside and Usyk’s team were being divas then to. It got to a stage where they’d end up agreeing 70/30 for a fight in the UK which Fury would be driving, which I don’t think is as bad as they have made it out to be, Lewis got 30% to face Holyfield despite being a 2 time champion and established name in the states. Usyk then came up with some nonsense about the winner gets 70/30 in a rematch, such arrangements have never been done in Boxing before and even with all the titles, 70 in his favour in a fight in the UK when he can’t draw flies is preposterous. He got 50/50 in the rematch with AJ.

I am not saying Fury plays no part but I get him, ultimately he earned his title shot against Wlad for peanuts the hard way, forcing the mandatory. Then was ridiculed by the likes of Wilder and AJ who won his vacated titles when he was inactive. He was repeatedly insulted and matchroom FC etc never really made any credible intention to make a fight with Fury or Wilder. Fury came back and I don’t know if Wilder 100% would have fancied him either if he wasn’t coming off a layoff and Fury was given peanuts again. Usyk has paid his dues but not like Fury, written of and demonised by the Zionist media and constantly berated due his background / never given a chance on these shores, but the man was born to fight literally. When you go through all that, beat a super champion who had been at the top for a decade and have a successful trilogy against the most dangerous HW of his era, you’re going to have a big chip on his shoulder. Even without the alphabet titles he’s still the lineal champion, which holds more prestige from a legacy and Boxing history standpoint. He is the champion to beat and that should hold all the bargaining power, I think he’s tired of accommodating others at this point. The onus is on Usyk and others etc to do all they can to make the fight.

But beyond that, I think you’re right KingKhan, at the crux of this, the Saudi pot was huge beyond the splits, I think they both would have wanted to put their hands in that.

Last edited:
Fury originally wanted to fight Usyk in the winter, but Usky needed a break, prior to that there were issues trying to get AJ to take step aside and Usyk’s team were being divas then to. It got to a stage where they’d end up agreeing 70/30 for a fight in the UK which Fury would be driving, which I don’t think is as bad as they have made it out to be, Lewis got 30% to face Holyfield despite being a 2 time champion and established name in the states. Usyk then came up with some nonsense about the winner gets 70/30 in a rematch, such arrangements have never been done in Boxing before and even with all the titles, 70 in his favour in a fight in the UK when he can’t draw flies is preposterous. He got 50/50 in the rematch with AJ.

I am not saying Fury plays no part but I get him, ultimately he earned his title shot against Wlad for peanuts the hard way, forcing the mandatory. Then was ridiculed by the likes of Wilder and AJ who won his vacated titles when he was inactive. He was repeatedly insulted and matchroom FC etc never really made any credible intention to make a fight with Fury or Wilder. Fury came back and I don’t know if Wilder 100% would have fancied him either if he wasn’t coming off a layoff and Fury was given peanuts again. Usyk has paid his dues but not like Fury, written of and demonised by the Zionist media and constantly berated due his background / never given a chance on these shores, but the man was born to fight literally. When you go through all that, beat a super champion who had been at the top for a decade and have a successful trilogy against the most dangerous HW of his era, you’re going to have a big chip on his shoulder. Even without the alphabet titles he’s still the lineal champion, which holds more prestige from a legacy and Boxing history standpoint. He is the champion to beat and that should hold all the bargaining power, I think he’s tired of accommodating others at this point. The onus is on Usyk and others etc to do all they can to make the fight.

But beyond that, I think you’re right KingKhan, at the crux of this, the Saudi pot was huge beyond the splits, I think they both would have wanted to put their hands in that.

theres numerous sports where players play under one body and get far more equal payouts despite variances in skill, both these guys are multi-millionaires and dont want for anything, and the only one who really loses out at the end of the day are the fans.

ive been a fury fan for time, and yes the wilder trilogy was amazing, but that trilogy and the cut against wallin notwithstanding his fights have not been exciting for a long time now. when he has to go and big up his opponents in the build up, u know somethings wrong. fine gives ur mates a payday but at least give the fans one decent fight a year.

I'm not really arguing against you, more of a general rant, yes, the fights themselves are great, if they happen, but everything else that goes on is the sport is an absolute waste of time for the average fan, imo.

theres numerous sports where players play under one body and get far more equal payouts despite variances in skill, both these guys are multi-millionaires and dont want for anything, and the only one who really loses out at the end of the day are the fans.

ive been a fury fan for time, and yes the wilder trilogy was amazing, but that trilogy and the cut against wallin notwithstanding his fights have not been exciting for a long time now. when he has to go and big up his opponents in the build up, u know somethings wrong. fine gives ur mates a payday but at least give the fans one decent fight a year.

I'm not really arguing against you, more of a general rant, yes, the fights themselves are great, if they happen, but everything else that goes on is the sport is an absolute waste of time for the average fan, imo.

Personally I think he should have retired, imo nothing left to prove and a HOF career. I don’t think for him there’s a big enough challenge out there and he has achieved a great deal already. But beyond that I feel your sentiment, the politics are a cancer, it’s a bigger shame we are yet to get Spence v Crawford and the clock is ticking for both.

On a positive note, Haney/Loma has been booked

Anthony Joshua v Jermaine Franklin: Briton weighs in at career-heavy 18st 3lb for Saturday's fight

Anthony Joshua has weighed in at a career-heavy 18st 3lb (115.7kg) for Saturday's contest against Jermaine Franklin at London's O2 Arena.

Joshua, 33, is 11lb heavier than his last fight - a points loss to champion Oleksandr Usyk in August.

"I've got my gameplan, got my mind right and I'm ready to go for war," said the bulked-up Briton.

American Franklin, 29, weighed 16st 7lb (106.1kg) - 23lb lighter than when he lost to Dillian Whyte in November.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/65136861

Great write up, fully agree.

Any thoughts on AJ?

I feel it was a poor performance against a 30+ ranked opponent. There just wasnt no aggression, passive, even looked scared at times because of the fear of being hurt.

I think he's done and will be knocked out cold by Fury if it happens.

Great write up, fully agree.

Any thoughts on AJ?

I feel it was a poor performance against a 30+ ranked opponent. There just wasnt no aggression, passive, even looked scared at times because of the fear of being hurt.

I think he's done and will be knocked out cold by Fury if it happens.

Regardless of this performance, I wouldn’t favour him against any of the elite heavyweights. But in terms of getting back to winning ways, he needed this, coming back from 2 losses is tough. I didn’t have any major issues with the performance for the most part, he kept it nice and long, circled to the left, and threw some nice straight right counters and his upper cut was used well on the inside against a slippery short range puncher, however he moved in straight lines all night and barely moved his head so it allowed AJ to fight at his pace. I saw a comment from Carl Frampton that this was the best engine he has ever seen from AJ, but he’s misled, even though he was at his career heaviest and am not doubting the conditioning in Texas, when you’re controlling the pace, you don’t feel the pressure or fatigue as much. When you dominate like this, you need to take more risks at the back end but as you say, he was tentative, AJ over analyses the situation and doubts creep in his mind, he probably was worried about losing gas in the tank, this is one major flaw, and what separates very good fighters from great ones, think about Ali in thriller in manilla, did he want to come out for that 15th round having been through what he described as a near death experience, probably not, but he did anyway, could he have retired in his corner when Ken Norton broke his jaw early in the fight? probably, but he didn’t. AJ should have reminded himself he was up against Franklin and not Mike Tyson.

Anyways, I still feel he needed this and it’s a great chance for Derek James to spend more time with him. AJ should give him a run. New partnerships never start of well when you been in the game a while, I think Khan got floored against Julio Diaz in his first fight with Virgil, but he was still trying to listen to his corner, here, James was insisting AJ pick it up, but he didn’t until the final 30 seconds or so. They can get better for sure, and I don’t know if AJ can be champion again, but I still think him against the other top names would be good viewing material and great fights to make in the division

Regardless of this performance, I wouldn’t favour him against any of the elite heavyweights. But in terms of getting back to winning ways, he needed this, coming back from 2 losses is tough. I didn’t have any major issues with the performance for the most part, he kept it nice and long, circled to the left, and threw some nice straight right counters and his upper cut was used well on the inside against a slippery short range puncher, however he moved in straight lines all night and barely moved his head so it allowed AJ to fight at his pace. I saw a comment from Carl Frampton that this was the best engine he has ever seen from AJ, but he’s misled, even though he was at his career heaviest and am not doubting the conditioning in Texas, when you’re controlling the pace, you don’t feel the pressure or fatigue as much. When you dominate like this, you need to take more risks at the back end but as you say, he was tentative, AJ over analyses the situation and doubts creep in his mind, he probably was worried about losing gas in the tank, this is one major flaw, and what separates very good fighters from great ones, think about Ali in thriller in manilla, did he want to come out for that 15th round having been through what he described as a near death experience, probably not, but he did anyway, could he have retired in his corner when Ken Norton broke his jaw early in the fight? probably, but he didn’t. AJ should have reminded himself he was up against Franklin and not Mike Tyson.

Anyways, I still feel he needed this and it’s a great chance for Derek James to spend more time with him. AJ should give him a run. New partnerships never start of well when you been in the game a while, I think Khan got floored against Julio Diaz in his first fight with Virgil, but he was still trying to listen to his corner, here, James was insisting AJ pick it up, but he didn’t until the final 30 seconds or so. They can get better for sure, and I don’t know if AJ can be champion again, but I still think him against the other top names would be good viewing material and great fights to make in the division

It maybe because I've watched so many HW boxers in fights, from Jack Johnson(btw watch his 3 hour docu, incredible), Ali, Forman, Frazier, Tyson , Lennox etc this felt like some sort of exhibition bout. We could say it was just to build his confidence back, let him work for 12 rounds and find himself a stable and effective technique while not risking any serious damage. If AJ was a new up and coming boxer, I'd be more impressed as you'd think he'd only improve but it seems he is only declining compared to what he once was, a strong HW with the ability for a tear up with anyone. Im not sure if he struggles more with smaller guys as he did with the first Mexican HW champ or because a loss would have ended any chance of a title shot. In other divisions, you can box , win rounds and walk away happy but in HW you have knock out guys outside of 30 ranking, he was never close imo.

Fury will give him a shot now as he will be so confident of not only beating him but to put on a boxing masterclass ending in a KO victory, which will cement his legacy. Hearing any combat sports stars saying they are fighting mainly for money is always a red flag for me, unless its Mayweather . I dont think his heart is in the game anylonger, he tries hard but doesnt have the tools for the job.

However if AJ chooses Wilder instead and beats him in great fashion he will regain some respect with hard core boxing fanatics. Joe Joyce is another but Joyce is a monster with one of the most solid chins I've ever seen. AJ may beat him on points if Joyce is timid but a JJ KO stoppage is on the cards.

Moving on, Im so looking forward to Haney v Loma, this is a fight for boxing purists, we will be able to dissect each round. I'd go for Haney, he is improving very fast, has a great hands and footwork. Haney could end up as the one of the top 3 LW goats.

Anthony Joshua v Jermaine Franklin: Briton returns to winning ways with unanimous points win

Anthony Joshua returned to winning ways with a unanimous points victory over Jermaine Franklin at London's O2 Arena.

The British heavyweight, 33, controlled the contest against the durable American but it was not the explosive early finish many expected.

Two judges scored it 117-111 and one 118-111 to Joshua.

Tempers flared after the final bell as the two fighters squared up to each other, prompting their teams to enter the ring and be separated by security.

It is Joshua's first win in more than two years, having lost consecutive bouts to WBA (Super), IBF and WBO world champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"No knockout, so no good. It is a brutal sport, but knockouts are everything. I'm not too happy," Joshua told 5 Live Boxing.

"I could have thrown more shots, and I should have, no excuses. But I will. That is part of coming back; you have to be your own biggest critic."

He also called out fellow Briton and WBC champion Tyson Fury, saying: "I try and provide for the fans. I know who they want. They said Tyson Fury - the ball is in his court."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/65148794

Underwhelming performance from AJ. If he fights Fury, he has got no chance.

But he needed a win after back to back defeats, but the win was far from convincing.

Dillian Whyte: Anthony Joshua has ‘nothing’ to offer Tyson Fury | 'The fight isn't going to happen!'

Dillian Whyte says Anthony Joshua offers "nothing" to Tyson Fury and believes his British rival was reluctant to "take risks" against Jermaine Franklin.

Joshua called for a fight against Fury after his unanimous decision victory over Franklin at The O2 on Saturday.

But Whyte believes he should be the man to face Joshua next, suggesting Fury will have little interest in a domestic clash after an undisputed world title fight with Oleksandr Usyk fell through.

"It's a logical fight," Whyte told Sky Sports. "Fury is not a person to negotiate with, because he'll mess you around.

"If he's [Fury] being offered unified heavyweight champion and not taking it, what is Joshua going to offer him to take the fight? Nothing.

"He's obviously seeing Joshua as way beneath him, the fight isn't going to happen.

"I don't know why they are wasting their time. There is someone here who is willing to fight and ready to go, but for some reason Joshua seems to, and I don't know if it's a tactic of his, brush it under the carpet.

"I don't know if he just doesn't want to fight me or what, because he knows what my mindset is, I'll come to fight and I carry power in both hands."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...216-nothing-8217-to-offer-fury-im-ready-to-go

Underwhelming performance from AJ. If he fights Fury, he has got no chance.

But he needed a win after back to back defeats, but the win was far from convincing.

AJ is away with the fairy’s, his heart doesn’t appear to be in the sport. He says it’s for money but he has plenty of that. I think he’s doing it because he feels he needs to prove something and he seems to be driven by public opinion which is ridiculous for a pro.

On paper you could argue the criticism may be a little harsh considering it’s never easy coming back from defeat and especially with a new trainer, if you’re serious, it takes time to take on board a new school of thought and develop trust / a relationship. When Khan moved from the Wild Card to Virgil Hunter, it wasn’t until the third fight together we started to see some serious change, in just their second fight he found himself on the canvas but was looking to clinch and have a think about his defensive instincts, not rushing back up etc having a clearer head and not going full on the attack. He’s with the best trainer in the world and if he wants to be back on top they need maybe a couple of fights to get on the same page and make a few adjustments but nothing drastic as it’s harder at this stage. Am ignoring this because I don’t like what I hear from AJ in interviews, he just doesn’t seem all bothered and I just think it’s dangerous to step in the ring with such a mindset.

AJ is away with the fairy’s, his heart doesn’t appear to be in the sport. He says it’s for money but he has plenty of that. I think he’s doing it because he feels he needs to prove something and he seems to be driven by public opinion which is ridiculous for a pro.

On paper you could argue the criticism may be a little harsh considering it’s never easy coming back from defeat and especially with a new trainer, if you’re serious, it takes time to take on board a new school of thought and develop trust / a relationship. When Khan moved from the Wild Card to Virgil Hunter, it wasn’t until the third fight together we started to see some serious change, in just their second fight he found himself on the canvas but was looking to clinch and have a think about his defensive instincts, not rushing back up etc having a clearer head and not going full on the attack. He’s with the best trainer in the world and if he wants to be back on top they need maybe a couple of fights to get on the same page and make a few adjustments but nothing drastic as it’s harder at this stage. Am ignoring this because I don’t like what I hear from AJ in interviews, he just doesn’t seem all bothered and I just think it’s dangerous to step in the ring with such a mindset.

AJ is a legend and it is truly magnificent that he achieved what he achieved, considering he had a late start in the sport.

But I agree that he does seem like he lacks a bit of motivation, which is understandable after everything that he has achieved. I feel like he is now a bit of a puppet for Eddie Hearn, who I can't stand.

Jake Paul v Nate Diaz: YouTuber to face former UFC fighter in boxing bout in August

YouTuber Jake Paul will face ex-UFC fighter Nate Diaz in a boxing match in Dallas in August.

Paul, 26, has competed in seven professional fights since 2019, but suffered his first defeat against Tommy Fury in February.

Diaz, 37, competed in the UFC for 15 years before leaving last year.

"Besides Canelo [Alvarez] he's the biggest thing in boxing," Diaz was quoted as saying by Paul's promotion company Most Valuable Promotions.

"I'm here to conquer that. I'm the king of combat sports and then I'm headed back to get my UFC belts."

The bout will be held at 13st 3lbs (84kg), with eight rounds scheduled.

Paul, who has over 20 million YouTube subscribers, claimed two victories over former UFC fighter Tyron Woodley, as well as one over UFC legend Anderson Silva, before his split-decision defeat by Fury.

"My last fight didn't end the way I wanted, but the result was the best thing that could have happened to my professional boxing aspirations," Paul said.

"The world thinks I am vulnerable, when all I am is more focused than ever. My team wanted me to take an easy fight... but that's not how I am built."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/65257286

Zhang demolishes Joyce. Fight stopped due to Joyce's eye very badly damaged.

Very average from Joyce but great work and power from Zhang.

Joyce and Joshua should fight for the wooden spoon title.

Wow. Zhang old man’s Joyce! If am honest, I wouldn’t call this an upset, two Olympic medalists going to war, a seriously risky fight for both men, you have to give credit to both guys for fighting each other and putting it all on the line, putting their world title ambitions at stake, especially Joyce who already was the WBO mandatory.

Joyce was a little too tense for me and was squaring up quiet early, he gets hit a lot but his jab wasn’t there this time and Zhang troubled him with his movement and southpaw stance, showcasing excellent defence at mid-range, every time Joyce attempted to Jab, Zhang countered with a big left, taking one of his key weapons to victory away. Zhang bust up Joyce’s nose and he was breathing a little heavier, despite Joyce improving his work rate with his usual arm punches, he wasn’t able to put his weight into the shots and Zhang moved his head so well and took most of the punishment on the gloves. Repeated lead hand counters lead to Joyce’s eye getting swollen quiet badly, the signs were there as early as Rd 2 and mercifully the doctor forced the stoppage.

Zhang has shaken up the division and what a moment for China, their first interim world champion in HW division. Tremendous performance! Great fight! Zhang gives anyone problems in the division, what a unit! and he came in pretty heavy with mean intentions, I would like to think he gets a major fight but with performances like these, you’re going to find it hard

Zhang demolishes Joyce. Fight stopped due to Joyce's eye very badly damaged.

Very average from Joyce but great work and power from Zhang.

Joyce and Joshua should fight for the wooden spoon title.

Zhang is an under rated bloke, I’d love to see him with any of the top 6 or so, he was robbed against Hrgovic to. Joyce wasn’t himself tonight but have to give Zhang credit.

Apparently, there’s a tournament rumoured to be planned in Saudi featuring: Fury/Usyk and AJ/Wilder, with the winners and losers facing each other

Zhang is an under rated bloke, I’d love to see him with any of the top 6 or so, he was robbed against Hrgovic to. Joyce wasn’t himself tonight but have to give Zhang credit.

Apparently, there’s a tournament rumoured to be planned in Saudi featuring: Fury/Usyk and AJ/Wilder, with the winners and losers facing each other

Absolutley, Zhang is a monster, huge bloke with some serious power. But I expected more from Joyce. Was he not himself or did he finally feel real pain and couldnt cope? Even without the shots he took, esp the straight left from Zhang, his own punches were soft, poor timing and not accurate at all. Zhang found it easy to defend and even easier to get through.

Its a shame as Joyce seems like a great chap and does have good skills but unless he improves a huge amount, he will never be World Champion.

Zhang deserves a title shot. I dont think there has been a Chinese HW champ before? History could be made and the sport will rise in China, which will be great for boxing fans.

Absolutley, Zhang is a monster, huge bloke with some serious power. But I expected more from Joyce. Was he not himself or did he finally feel real pain and couldnt cope? Even without the shots he took, esp the straight left from Zhang, his own punches were soft, poor timing and not accurate at all. Zhang found it easy to defend and even easier to get through.

Its a shame as Joyce seems like a great chap and does have good skills but unless he improves a huge amount, he will never be World Champion.

Zhang deserves a title shot. I dont think there has been a Chinese HW champ before? History could be made and the sport will rise in China, which will be great for boxing fans.

I am not sure if he prepared well, he has struggled with southpaws in the amateurs to, and in the WBS fight with Usyk he had the same issues with the lead left, it was underwhelming considering his career best win in his last fight. Joyce has fought his quality opponents considering how infant his pro career is and this can happen, especially against a big unit who hits hard and has serious amateur pedigree himself. I wont right Joyce off completely, the positive though is he will become more appealing as an opponent in the division. Never been a Chinese He champ before, they had their first champ in any division in the 2010’s, the popularity not as high as Japan or neighbouring nations but it is rising, a Heavyweight doing well wont do them any harm at all, I’d love to see Zhang against Usyk

Joyce struggles with southpaws and did again tonight.

Also seems he was complacent tonight and he though he would walk through zhang and ware him down. Instead he ate jab all night and was rightly stopped. Zhang is underrated and should have got decision vs hrgovic as well. That's certainly jolted up the division.

Joe Joyce v Zhilei Zhang: British heavyweight suffers first career loss in shock defeat

British heavyweight Joe Joyce's world-title ambitions were derailed as he suffered a sixth-round technical knockout loss to China's Zhilei Zhang at London's Copper Box Arena.

Joyce, 37, was staggered several times and had no answer to Zhang's power as he suffered his first pro loss.

The ringside doctor twice inspected Joyce's swollen eye before the referee halted the contest in the sixth.

"I'm just disappointed with my performance," Joyce told BT Sport.

"The right hand he kept hitting me with... I couldn't get out of the way, so respect to Zhang.

"I expected to win like I normally do. Thanks for all the support and congratulations."

Joyce, the 2016 Olympic silver medallist, was the mandatory challenger for unified champion Oleksandr Usyk's WBO title and was on the cusp of a world-title shot.

He added: "I'm disappointed. I'd like to apologise to all my fans and supporters - I'll be back. My journey's not over, this is just a hurdle I've tripped over. I'll be back."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/65278963

I am not sure if he prepared well, he has struggled with southpaws in the amateurs to, and in the WBS fight with Usyk he had the same issues with the lead left, it was underwhelming considering his career best win in his last fight. Joyce has fought his quality opponents considering how infant his pro career is and this can happen, especially against a big unit who hits hard and has serious amateur pedigree himself. I wont right Joyce off completely, the positive though is he will become more appealing as an opponent in the division. Never been a Chinese He champ before, they had their first champ in any division in the 2010’s, the popularity not as high as Japan or neighbouring nations but it is rising, a Heavyweight doing well wont do them any harm at all, I’d love to see Zhang against Usyk

Joyce is 37, not sure if he can adapt, change or improve enough at this stage but wish him well.

Zhang V Uysk would be interesting. Will Zhang connect big or will he miss all night? If he connects I can see him hurting Uysk but the Ukrainian is a real boxer, straight out of the coaching manual!

Btw India's great hope Karthik Sarthis Kumar was schooled by Sam Noakes

A quick summary. Shocking performance, not sure why this chap was rated at all ? :))

Commonwealth lightweight champion Sam Noakes (11-0, 11 KOs) destroyed previously unbeaten Karthik Sarthis Kumar (10-1, 4 KOs) by a second-round knockout. Noakes dropped Kumar late in the first round after tagging him with a hard right hand to the head. The referee failed to penalize Noakes for hitting Kumar after he was down. In the second, Noakes backed Kumar up against the ropes and knocked him down with a right hand to the head. At that point, the referee waved it off. Kumar looked unhurt, but the referee John Latham had seen enough because the fight was too one-sided. The time of the stoppage was 1:17 of the second round.

Source: Joyce Vs. Zhang - Tonight’s Live Results From London - Boxing News 24 (https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/04/joyce-vs-zhang-tonights-live-results-from-london/)

Joyce is 37, not sure if he can adapt, change or improve enough at this stage but wish him well.

Zhang V Uysk would be interesting. Will Zhang connect big or will he miss all night? If he connects I can see him hurting Uysk but the Ukrainian is a real boxer, straight out of the coaching manual!

Btw India's great hope Karthik Sarthis Kumar was schooled by Sam Noakes

A quick summary. Shocking performance, not sure why this chap was rated at all ? :))

Source: Joyce Vs. Zhang - Tonight’s Live Results From London - Boxing News 24 (https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/04/joyce-vs-zhang-tonights-live-results-from-london/)

Joyce started Boxing in his early 20’s and pro about 30-31, there’s not as much mileage on the clock, but immediately tested himself against some top names and didn’t have those 4-8 rounders which are pointless for a seasoned amateur. I guess you could argue he has taken too many clean shots though, but I think for his age he is still fresh, however, a lot now also depends on how his eye heals and if he can prepare himself psychologically to. I think given his amateur pedigree and experience thus far, he is capable of making adjustments, but needs a much improved camp if he is take on another southpaw again. But again have to give both guys credit, either men could easily have protected their record but here we had two legit top 10 fighters go at it, Joe had more to lose I suppose. I see many of AJ’s groupies criticise him but he wasn’t fighting Franklin, it was a 50/50 fight imo.

LOOOOL Biggest question is this, how did a Kumar, get a boxing license? what a beating :))) :)))

UK Anti-Doping confirm Conor Benn was 'provisionally suspended' on 15 March

UK Anti-Doping has confirmed Conor Benn was provisionally suspended from sport on 15 March.

Benn, 26, failed two voluntary drug tests last year, testing positive for female fertility drug clomifene on both occasions.

After Benn refused to comment on reports of a potential ban earlier this week, Ukad said it had charged him on 3 April with a doping violation.

Benn said he "remains free to fight outside the UK".

Doping investigations are confidential until a final conclusion is reached, but Ukad has released a statement following Benn's own comments on the issue earlier this week.

"Ukad confirms that Mr Benn was notified and provisionally suspended by Ukad on 15 March 2023 in accordance with the UK anti-doping rules," a statement read.

"Whilst provisionally suspended, Mr Benn is prohibited from participating in any capacity (or assisting another athlete in any capacity) in a competition, event or activity that is organised, convened, authorised or recognised by the British Boxing Board of Control or any other World Anti-Doping code-compliant sport."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/65313007

García vs tank fight tomorrow night. Maybe fight of the year potential. Tank is fav to win

García vs tank fight tomorrow night. Maybe fight of the year potential. Tank is fav to win

Should be a thrilling fight, Tank has the weight advantage with a number of clauses for rehydration and weight checks etc otherwise I’d lean towards a Garcia points win for sure because he is a better fighter technically, although Davis is a devastating counter puncher and while he may be out-boxed for periods, how one responds to his power when caught flush is another thing.

50/50, am going for Garcia on points/late-TKO or a Gervonta KO.

Lets make a bold prediction Garcia by late TKO

Should be a thrilling fight, Tank has the weight advantage with a number of clauses for rehydration and weight checks etc otherwise I’d lean towards a Garcia points win for sure because he is a better fighter technically, although Davis is a devastating counter puncher and while he may be out-boxed for periods, how one responds to his power when caught flush is another thing.

50/50, am going for Garcia on points/late-TKO or a Gervonta KO.

Lets make a bold prediction Garcia by late TKO

Really tough fight to pick, but so glad two fighters are taking this fighters now.

I thin Garcia has all the tools to pretty much outbox Tank for the entire fight, however the issue will be how much will making weight effect him and i think as the fight goes it will take effect. So think its important for Garcia to build up a points lead early on, which may force Tank to be more aggressive and look for KO, which may in turn give Garcia openings as well.

I can see a KO in the 2nd half of fight but not sure which way.

Really tough fight to pick, but so glad two fighters are taking this fighters now.

I thin Garcia has all the tools to pretty much outbox Tank for the entire fight, however the issue will be how much will making weight effect him and i think as the fight goes it will take effect. So think its important for Garcia to build up a points lead early on, which may force Tank to be more aggressive and look for KO, which may in turn give Garcia openings as well.

I can see a KO in the 2nd half of fight but not sure which way.

Agreed, although more credit to Garcia and Golden Boy for conceding almost every possible advantage to make the fight. Garcia will need to be on point with his lateral movement, because Tank is going to come hard at the body and test his weight, especially in the first 6 when I expect Garcia to be most effective. We all talk about Tank’s power but it will be interesting to see how he eats Garcia’s power shots, his sloppy defence will be open for his big right hand

garcia got that speed, but tank got the experience and brains, garcia to come out all guns blazing, if it last more than 3 or 4 rounds then tanks takes it IMO. should be a great fight tho.

Agreed, although more credit to Garcia and Golden Boy for conceding almost every possible advantage to make the fight. Garcia will need to be on point with his lateral movement, because Tank is going to come hard at the body and test his weight, especially in the first 6 when I expect Garcia to be most effective. We all talk about Tank’s power but it will be interesting to see how he eats Garcia’s power shots, his sloppy defence will be open for his big right hand

Garcia power is under-rated i agree, but with possibly being weight drained will that effect the pop in his punches. I think the best way for Garcia to level playing field is use his jab and try and make Tank miss and hit fresh air most of the fight. Missing the target and throwing punches can be draining for a fighter. Interesting to see if Tank feel Garcias power and isnt effected by it, then he can pretty much just walk through Garcias shots and will be on top of Garcia all fight.

I think depending on how wild and aggressive Tank is will help Garcia alot.

looking forward to this fight.

Garcia power is under-rated i agree, but with possibly being weight drained will that effect the pop in his punches. I think the best way for Garcia to level playing field is use his jab and try and make Tank miss and hit fresh air most of the fight. Missing the target and throwing punches can be draining for a fighter. Interesting to see if Tank feel Garcias power and isnt effected by it, then he can pretty much just walk through Garcias shots and will be on top of Garcia all fight.

I think depending on how wild and aggressive Tank is will help Garcia alot.

looking forward to this fight.

Good point, being drained can take the sapp out, but he is in his early 20’s and the vitality of youth can somewhat mitigate that, other thing worth noting is Davis’s weight issues. If I understand correctly, neither man can rehydrate more than 10 lb? that could potentially backfire on Gervonta and you just feel he might be a little tight around 135 lb or so, but he last fought in Jan so I expect him to have managed his weight cut better because he wouldn’t have left camp after beating Hector Garcia

I have been watching both the guys older fights last night. They are both top class fighters. But in comparison I find Garcia to be more one dimensional . He relies on the left hook too much. However he is bigger, taller, more reach. Honestly I can’t decide , but I think Garcia by late KO. Amir khan has the same prediction. Maybe one of the most anticipated fights of the past few years.

Good point, being drained can take the sapp out, but he is in his early 20’s and the vitality of youth can somewhat mitigate that, other thing worth noting is Davis’s weight issues. If I understand correctly, neither man can rehydrate more than 10 lb? that could potentially backfire on Gervonta and you just feel he might be a little tight around 135 lb or so, but he last fought in Jan so I expect him to have managed his weight cut better because he wouldn’t have left camp after beating Hector Garcia

Cutting weight when younger is easier, and i think the rehydration clause wont help either fighter to much. Maybe Tank may have a slight advantage, but i think the pace of the fight early on and how both fighters feel after rehydrating will be telling factor.

fair play to Garcia though exepcting all terms to fight and if he win makes victory sweeter for him.

anyone got idea as to the UK start time, might have to set an alarm for this one

Joe Cordina: Welsh boxer reclaims world title against Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov

Wales' Joe Cordina reclaimed the IBF world super-featherweight title with an extremely hard-fought split-decision win over Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov.

Cordina, 31, was stripped of the title in October after breaking his right hand, but was able to return with a win in a front of a passionate home crowd.

Cordina, who floored Rakhimov in round two, was pushed to his limits by the champion who showed incredible heart.

However, Cordina took the decision 111-116, 115-112 and 114-113 on the cards.

"Rakhimov's meant to be the bogeyman to everyone in this division," Cordina told 5 Live afterwards.

"He's strong, he's tough but I wanted to show I can stand there and have it with him."

For Cordina, this was a night about reclaiming what he felt was rightfully his.

Having endured a 10-month absence from the ring with an injury that was career threatening, Cordina was desperate to prove he can be the dominant force in the 130lbs division.

After producing fireworks to win the title from Kenichi Ogawa in June 2022, with a knockout punch in round two that went viral on social media, Cordina was looking to make up for lost time and lost momentum.

Back in his home city, Cordina was again backed to the hilt by a capacity crowd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65343404

as expected tank was too good for garcia, garcia to his credit connected with some nice shots but the whole time technically and mentally, tank just looked a level above. always a joy to see a well placed body shot winning a fight. nice to see good post fight sportsmanship too.

Wanted Garcia to win, but knew Tank was on another level all round.

Want to see Haney v Tank next.

Haney converted to Islam too btw I recently learned. Ma Sha Allah.

Garcia boxed his worst possible fight. I admit I hadn’t watched enough footage of him, but in round 1 I just knew he was going to walk into a big counter left. He was applying pressure which was good but he was walking in straight lines, even though Tank’s smaller he moves so well, Garcia has great technical pedigree but he was throwing his shots wide and long inside the pocket rather than maintaining his range with his jab. Goosen is a good trainer, but he notoriously loves his fighters going to war in the pocket, his theory is that it’s better to fight in the eye of the storm then out of it, I don’t think that was his tactic in this fight but questions need to be asked off their game plan.

Gervonta’s experienced showed, his movement was exceptional, unlike Garcia who didn’t go to the body enough, Gervonta didn’t shy from it, he was patient and selective with his shots, even without the reach he was beating Garcia to the jab due to his better command of range and he absolutely punishes you for any mistake and there were a number of mistakes from Garcia. Davis outboxed him and showed his elite pedigree, he gets a lot of heat for being associated with Floyd, but Davis is not a bad bloke, hopefully he gets more attention for his feats in the ring.

Golden Boy are known for throwing their fighters at the deep end, sometimes it works other times it doesn’t, Oscar threw Khan in with Maidana and it ended up being one of his signature wins. Garcia got youth on his side and exceptional amateur pedigree, he can bounce back. I’d like to see Gervonta with the bigger names around his weight like Haney, Loma etc but can’t overlook Shakur Stevenson at all, just moved up and he is going to be a huge star in and around his weight

Wanted Garcia to win, but knew Tank was on another level all round.

Want to see Haney v Tank next.

Haney converted to Islam too btw I recently learned. Ma Sha Allah.

This is the fight which is going to help Haney enter the P4P rankings, he’s going to give Loma a boxing lesson and I don’t say that lightly because am a huge Loma fan, went to see him at the 02 a few years ago, but Haney I think stylistically is wrong for him.

For some context, another ex Golden Boy fighter like Garcia in Khan, at the same age as Ryan beat both Maidana and Judah 6 months apart, may even have been a year younger!

This is the fight which is going to help Haney enter the P4P rankings, he’s going to give Loma a boxing lesson and I don’t say that lightly because am a huge Loma fan, went to see him at the 02 a few years ago, but Haney I think stylistically is wrong for him.

Was just going to ask if you if wanted to see Tank vs Haney or Tank vs Shakur Stevenson next.

Was just going to ask if you if wanted to see Tank vs Haney or Tank vs Shakur Stevenson next.

I would say Tank vs Haney because they have campaigned around the 135 division for a world holding numerous titles, they are as it stands the two best in the division. Shakur just moved up and I’d like to see him face the winner, but Tank v Haney is the best fight to be made among the lower weights in the US imo.

And then after Shakur may just beat either of them :)) what a time to be around with all these names in the mix, the future of Boxing is here

I would say Tank vs Haney because they have campaigned around the 135 division for a world holding numerous titles, they are as it stands the two best in the division. Shakur just moved up and I’d like to see him face the winner, but Tank v Haney is the best fight to be made among the lower weights in the US imo.

And then after Shakur may just beat either of them :)) what a time to be around with all these names in the mix, the future of Boxing is here

I think Shakur will need a couple of tune ups at the new weight. Then I think once he's use to the weight, I think he beats everyone Haney, Tank, loma

Promoter Eddie Hearn says "superstar" Joe Cordina can unify the super-featherweight division and has promised bigger nights of boxing ahead in Wales.

Liam Smith says he is 'baffled' by Chris Eubank Jr saying first fight was stopped too soon

Liam Smith is "baffled" by Chris Eubank Jr saying their first fight in January was ended prematurely by the referee.

The British rivals will contest a rematch at the AO Arena in Manchester on 17 June, the same venue where Smith stopped Eubank in four rounds.

Eubank, 33, was dropped twice before Victor Loughlin halted the fight.

"To blame the referee? Wow," Smith, 34, said."You've opened another one now where you're going to get slaughtered by everybody."

Speaking to 5 Live Boxing at Tuesday's new conference, he added: "It could have easily been stopped after the first knockdown, never mind the second.

"I feel he is what he is. I don't know. I'm baffled now. He's just said he dominated the first three rounds.

"If that's domination, then I don't know what boxing is. It's crazy."

The first fight was marred by controversy in the build-up, with homophobic taunts and insults about class.

Both Eubank and Smith were fined by the British Boxing Board of Control for their previous behaviour, but there were no such unsavoury scenes this time, where there were more jovial exchanges instead.

"It shouldn't have gone that way," Smith added. "But now we've got a past fight to go off, we don't really need to be being personal. We've got a fight we can feed off."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65400751

Liam Smith says he is 'baffled' by Chris Eubank Jr saying first fight was stopped too soon

Liam Smith is "baffled" by Chris Eubank Jr saying their first fight in January was ended prematurely by the referee.

The British rivals will contest a rematch at the AO Arena in Manchester on 17 June, the same venue where Smith stopped Eubank in four rounds.

Eubank, 33, was dropped twice before Victor Loughlin halted the fight.

"To blame the referee? Wow," Smith, 34, said."You've opened another one now where you're going to get slaughtered by everybody."

Speaking to 5 Live Boxing at Tuesday's new conference, he added: "It could have easily been stopped after the first knockdown, never mind the second.

"I feel he is what he is. I don't know. I'm baffled now. He's just said he dominated the first three rounds.

"If that's domination, then I don't know what boxing is. It's crazy."

The first fight was marred by controversy in the build-up, with homophobic taunts and insults about class.

Both Eubank and Smith were fined by the British Boxing Board of Control for their previous behaviour, but there were no such unsavoury scenes this time, where there were more jovial exchanges instead.

"It shouldn't have gone that way," Smith added. "But now we've got a past fight to go off, we don't really need to be being personal. We've got a fight we can feed off."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65400751

Hardly surprising, Eubank Jnr would be prepared to die in the ring. Tough tough bloke

Am hyped for Tank v Haney which is just around the horizon iA.

Have been binging on ufc mostly for the last few months, stopped following boxing for a little while after Haney vs Kambosos II. Caught up last few weeks for Tank v Garcia.

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v John Ryder: Mexican 'bringing this fight to people' in homecoming bout

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez said he is "bringing this fight to the people" in a momentous yet chaotic news conference for Saturday's bout against John Ryder.

The Mexican will defend his undisputed super-middleweight titles against the Briton at Estadio Akron in his home city of Guadalajara.

Alvarez, 32, will fight in Mexico for the first time in since 2011.

"I feel happy to be back in happy with the people who support me in the beginning," he told BBC Sport.

"I feel great. It's unbelievable the things I've done all my life and all my career. I'm glad to be here, coming as the best fight. I'm bringing this fight to the people. It's an honour for me."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/65452141

Liam Smith v Chris Eubank Jr 2: Rematch rescheduled for 1 July in Manchester

Liam Smith's rematch with Chris Eubank Jr has been moved to 1 July because of an injury to the Liverpudlian.

Smith, 34, stopped Eubank in January and was scheduled to fight him again on 17 June in Manchester at the AO Arena.

Eubank agreed to move the date after Smith asked for a delay to aid recovery from the minor injury.

"It's just an old injury niggle flaring up but I want to take the time to let it heal up so that I can enter the ring at 100%," Smith said.

"A 100% Liam Smith beats Chris Eubank Jr every day of the week and twice on Sunday."

Smith is on a four-fight winning streak, those wins all via stoppage, while 33-year-old Eubank aims to avenge the third defeat of his career.

The venue and undercard card remain the same, with Savannah Marshall set to face undisputed super-middleweight champion Franchon Crews-Dezurn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65534136

Ryder said something along the lines of Canelo is passed it, while he attempted to stem the blood from his broken nose :)) hilarious.

Brits love a good white loser. Folk genuinely believe his performance was the best and most technically sound against Canelo out of his fellow compatriots

'Middleweight king' Janibek Alimkhanuly calls out Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez after demolishing Steven Butler

Janibek Alimkhanuly destroyed Steven Butler inside two rounds to retain the WBO middleweight title - before calling out Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo as he challenged boxing's best to face him.

Kazakh fighter Alimkhanuly took his record to 14-0 with a ninth knockout of his career, flooring Canadian Butler three times in quick succession with his dominance sparked by a powerful left uppercut.

Butler managed to stay on his feet after that initial shot but fell after a flurry of further left hands, and referee Jack Reiss waved off the fight after Butler hit the canvas twice more.

Butler landed two punches in the entire fight, compared to his opponent's 25, as he was completely dominated by a man who proclaimed himself the "middleweight king".

"Champions and the boxing superstars, where are you?" Alimkhanuly told ESPN. "I'm waiting. Let's fight.

"I am the most-avoided boxer. I am the middleweight king. Let's go, fight. Top Rank, who is next?

"Canelo and Charlo, I'm coming. I'm ready for anybody, any time, anywhere."

Elsewhere on the bill at the Stockton Arena in California, Australia's Jason Moloney outpointed Vincent Astrolabio of the Philippines to claim the vacant WBO bantamweight title.

Moloney had lost previous full world title bouts to Emmanuel Rodriguez in 2018 and Naoya Inoue in 2020 but triumphed at the third time of asking despite suffering what he believed was a broken hand in the opening quarter of the fight.

The 32-year-old said: "It hurt every time I threw it. But I knew this was my last chance to make my dream come true."

Moloney's record is now 26-2.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...anelo-alvarez-after-demolishing-steven-butler

Not happy with Haney’s body language, the early stages of the fight are going to be interesting.

In order to execute his defensive strategy, he needs to keep his composure and in doing so his technique. Loma will use all his experience and exploit any lapse.

I now expect fireworks in the first 6, in a shootout, you favour the aggressor. Haney will need to weather that storm, settle down and get his jab going, while Loma will look to disrupt his rhythm varied speed, movement and angles.

Seriously, a massive middle finger to the sport of Boxing, a massive massive finger. This sport is so toxic beyond belief.

It was a close and competitive fight for 7-8 rounds, but Haney was man handled between Rd 9-12. Am not even the biggest Loma fan but have a deep admiration for his P4P pedigree, I like Haney, he doesn’t get enough respect, but he was beaten comfortably in the end.

Haney held the centre at the start and targeted the body in his bid to slow down the smaller man, he was active with his jab and even traded in the pocket, Loma couldn’t circle to his left because of that left hook and he caught him a number of times with his right hand, however, each time he did, Loma responded with dynamic combination punching and in the second half, when he got use to Haney’s rhythm, he made some excellent adjustments, notably beating Haney’s jab with his lead left hand and doubling up with his punch, Haney’s body punching wasn’t as sustained and he was off balance due to Loma’s lateral pressure, this allowed Loma to tee off when Haney’s feet were square. Loma was playing with him like food by this point and there was bizarre corner advice from Haney’s father suggesting to his som that the fight was in the bag and the commentary was so heavily biased, the fix was in.

Loma exorcised his demons from the Lopez loss but unfortunately, this will never be recorded on his resume, the cards were a disgrace. Haney looked like another man after rehydrating, the size difference was ridiculous, I don’t know how long Haney can compete at the weight. For Loma to eat all those body shots and perform like he was the bigger guy in the second half just reinforces his ATG HOF pedigree.

But man am sick of this sport

Oleksandr Usyk's team have won the purse bids ahead of a world heavyweight title defence against Daniel Dubois in Poland this August, the Ukrainian's promoter Alex Krassyuk has announced.

"We won the bid, now working to stage the fight in Wroclaw, Poland on August 12th," Krassyuk said on Instagram.

Usyk will put the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight belts on the line against WBA mandatory challenger Dubois having retained his unified status with victory over Anthony Joshua in last August's rematch.

Back