Boxing Thread

Heavyweight Joseph Parker vowed to stop the Joe Joyce "hype train" in its tracks when they meet on Saturday.

The 30-year-old New Zealander is the underdog despite being a former world champion and says he is confident of a quick victory against the Briton, 37.

The pair will fight in Manchester for the WBO interim heavyweight title, with the winner in prime position to challenge champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"I see a lump, a big man," Parker said at a media conference on Thursday.

"A man that's confident, a man's that ready, but a man who is going to be stopped in his tracks. Hype train."

Joyce, who is unbeaten in his professional career and has 13 knockouts in 14 fights, did not respond to Parker's taunts.

"This big lump is going to be coming at you on Saturday night," he said.

Parker's trainer Andy Lee explained why he expected an easy night for his fighter.

"Any fight can be an easy fight," he said. "Joseph knows how to make this an easy fight, I know what he has to do.

Heavyweight Joseph Parker vowed to stop the Joe Joyce "hype train" in its tracks when they meet on Saturday.

The 30-year-old New Zealander is the underdog despite being a former world champion and says he is confident of a quick victory against the Briton, 37.

The pair will fight in Manchester for the WBO interim heavyweight title, with the winner in prime position to challenge champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"I see a lump, a big man," Parker said at a media conference on Thursday.

"A man that's confident, a man's that ready, but a man who is going to be stopped in his tracks. Hype train."

Joyce, who is unbeaten in his professional career and has 13 knockouts in 14 fights, did not respond to Parker's taunts.

"This big lump is going to be coming at you on Saturday night," he said.

Parker's trainer Andy Lee explained why he expected an easy night for his fighter.

"Any fight can be an easy fight," he said. "Joseph knows how to make this an easy fight, I know what he has to do.

This is a great fight but shocking it’s on PPV for 20 quid

This is a great fight but shocking it’s on PPV for 20 quid

Warren and Hearne are milking boxing for UK fans. Its a disgrace as this fight isnt for a title or even between former title holders. But I agree its a great fight for boxing fans. You have Parker who will be slicker, better boxing skills and movement but Joyce is a beast, solid chin and powerful hands.

Prediction?

i like joe joyce, seems like such a chill guy. not the most entertaining but sturdier than a brick ssit house. hope he keeps on track for a title fight.

Warren and Hearne are milking boxing for UK fans. Its a disgrace as this fight isnt for a title or even between former title holders. But I agree its a great fight for boxing fans. You have Parker who will be slicker, better boxing skills and movement but Joyce is a beast, solid chin and powerful hands.

Prediction?

Defo not paying for it I hope I don’t get too excited later lol but there are other ways to watch :) its a shambles. BT need to reach a deal with a streaming platform or two so they can get the non-subscriber money that way like how sky do from NOW TV

Joe Parker is much improved under Andy Lee and a much better jab, he has become more effective at range as a result unlike earlier in his career where he use to bull rush fighters with his chin hanging out

Joe Joyce has a tremendous punch, chin and boxing pedigree he rarely utilises, very athletic guy.

I think Parker will be the more disciplined for sure and look to establish his jab.

Joe Joyce is unpredictable and if he tries to overly impress and go head hunting, he will get picked off. But if Joe utilises his physical tools and excellent jab / keeps parker on the outside I am leaning towards him.

It’s close and should be a great fight, but I am going with Joyce on points or a late TKO

Brilliant Fight between Joyce and parker, good late stoppage win for Joyce. The guys is just relentless, rock solid jab and chin.

would love to see him fight wilder, usyk or white next.

Brilliant Fight between Joyce and parker, good late stoppage win for Joyce. The guys is just relentless, rock solid jab and chin.

would love to see him fight wilder, usyk or white next.

Unless you are related to Whyte, why on earth would you give him that pay day because that fight does zilch for Joyce at this point

As expected, I saw Joyce winning by TKO but he went one further and got the KO victory over Parker. I had felt Parker has a big heart and decent chin, which are makings for a horrible night which would have forced a ref stoppage against a Joyce who is up for it, but the Juggernaut landed a beautiful left hook counter inside a lazy jab. Joyce has an amazing engine also because he rarely needs to fight outside his pace, he will walk through what you throw if necessary and when he uses his jab a bit more, he will break your spirit.

The only real challenges out there for Joyce are Usyk, Wilder and Fury; I fancy him against everyone else. Although Andy Ruiz Jnr would be another great fight for him if he doesn’t land a shot, however he will be busy with Wilder, I’d like to see Joyce against AJ in the interim though, would make for great entertainment

Last edited:
Unless you are related to Whyte, why on earth would you give him that pay day because that fight does zilch for Joyce at this point

shaz aint joyce mandatory now - so he's in for the running for those fights.

imo let joyce fight usyk, as we know fury v joshua, then let joyce v wilder, so we can see fury v usyk

Joyce is the dark horse of the heavy weight division.

People call him slow but the juggernaut has beaten all his opponents very impressively.

Jumps to no 3 in the heavyweight division behind Usky the Fury.

Joyce is now number 1 but is unlikely to get his title shot in his next fight. So whyte or wilder would be a good fight for him next.

White is just below world title level so he would be a good test for joyce.

Joyce is now number 1 but is unlikely to get his title shot in his next fight. So whyte or wilder would be a good fight for him next.

add in andy ruiz, so whyte, wilder, joyce - all need to fight each other,than othan ruiz and joyce-joyce will win that hands down

anyone watch kid galahad fight yesterday, missed it, heard it was close, everyone had it either 2/3 rounds to hughes or same rounds to galahad.

Whyte is no where close to the world level anymore and stylistically, he is just an accident waiting to happen, it would be like working the heavy bag for Joyce given how flat Whyte’s feet are, in fact if we are suggesting Whyte, I actually think Chisora would give Joyce more of a fight. I don’t see AJ/Fury happening, this why I think if all were willing, AJ/Joyce would be better and if possible in the realms of promotional barriers these days, Andy Ruiz Jnr would be a great option for Joyce.

But who knows, maybe Usyk would be willing to give Joyce a shot if he is a fighting man and what not, he talks a fair bit doesn’t he

Boxing's future in the Olympic Games is in doubt after it was decided Russian Umar Kremlev will remain president of the International Boxing Association.

On Sunday delegates from amateur boxing's world governing body voted to reject a proposal to hold new presidential elections.

In response the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it was "extremely concerned" by the result.

Boxing was left off the initial list of sports for the 2028 Games.

In a statement, the IOC said: "Following these disturbing developments, the IOC (executive board) will have to fully review the situation at its next meeting."

Sunday's decision cast new doubt over the sport's efforts to preserve its Olympic spot beyond the 2024 Games in Paris.

The IBA, formerly known as AIBA, was stripped of involvement in last year's Tokyo Olympics because of governance, finance, refereeing and ethical issues. The IBA will also not be involved in the running of boxing events in 2024.

"We have to get to the point where boxing will be part of the Olympic Games in 2024 as well as 2028. We will do our best," Kremlev said.

"No one can exclude us from anywhere."

On Sunday delegates of the IBA voted by 106 votes to 36 to reject a proposal to stage a new election.

It means Dutchman Boris van der Vorst cannot challenge Kremlev for the presidency.

Kremlev was elected unopposed in May after Van der Vorst was declared ineligible.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled in June that Van der Vorst was wrongly prevented from standing.

On Friday, the IBA suspended the Ukrainian boxing federation after it had written to IBA members calling for Kremlev to resign or be voted out of office.

anyone watch kid galahad fight yesterday, missed it, heard it was close, everyone had it either 2/3 rounds to hughes or same rounds to galahad.

I didn’t catch it up the sentiment on social media is that he was robbed

Miss the good old days of Lewis, holyfield, Riddick bowe, Tyson, Razor ruddock, and ample other fantastic fighters.

that is almost 25 years ago man, the era between that era and the current era was worse than modern era IMO.

the current era is second tier compared to the golden generation, but still entertaining.

Great fight. But I don’t think he will give the top three any issues. Good fighter though

that is almost 25 years ago man, the era between that era and the current era was worse than modern era IMO.

the current era is second tier compared to the golden generation, but still entertaining.

The current era may be entertaining but for me the quality of the fighters is ordinary.

Miss the good old days of Lewis, holyfield, Riddick bowe, Tyson, Razor ruddock, and ample other fantastic fighters.

What did Ruddock ever do? you named Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson and Bowe, a couple in their twilight; besides them which fantastic fighters got your juices flowing almost three decades ago? but, I don’t blame you for being asleep between 2004-2014. Things have been different since then.

Great fight. But I don’t think he will give the top three any issues. Good fighter though

Joyce is the closest reincarnation f
of George Foreman, very similar stylistically. Excellent chin and durability, combined with some serious pop in his hands. He doesn’t have the guile of Foreman but Joyce tends to rise to his opponents level, he’s a genuine threat in the division, in fact I believe he is the biggest threat out there for Fury and I know what happened in the World Series but in a pro 12 rd Heavyweight fight, Joyce would be no walk over for Usyk and it would be very interesting to see how he’d take a Wilder right hand

You rate him very high. I will look at some of his past fights now. Let me see

For most of his fights you will see him get tagged a lot more then he needs to or should, but he just walks through everything without blinking lol and keeps the work rate up. But his base pedigree is solid and he was a former Olympic silver medalist, when he is not looking to impress overly and takes the occasion seriously, we see more boxing from him, this fight with Parker showcased that and led to a stoppage when Parker has a decent chin himself and had never been stopped before, many also thought Joyce would get mauled by Dubois and Joyce surprised everyone by winning that fight with his jab alone, if there’s another fight of his to check out I’d pick the one with Dubois

LMAO. A 37 year old has been walks in to the heavyweight division and is walking through everyone. This era should be celebrated as the pantomime era. Bring on Spencer v Crawford, a proper elite level.

LMAO. A 37 year old has been walks in to the heavyweight division and is walking through everyone. This era should be celebrated as the pantomime era. Bring on Spencer v Crawford, a proper elite level.

Casual autism aside, Rocky Marciano started his career a little later to, Bernard Hopkins became the oldest champ in history, as did old George Foreman himself in the era you were a huge fan off. If we go by current lot, there’s Usyk and Loma to. Joyce has closed the gap due to his amateur pedigree from the european, world and olympic games. So any bum off the street starting their pro career at the same age as Joyce wont necessarily have the success he has and nor would Joyce have been weathered by excess damage. It’s rare but there are multiple factors which help him along with some excellent raw tools at hand in the form of his durability and power.

Am surprised you are this excited by Spence/Crawford after your comment on age etc a few years ago, there may not have been any contenders who could challenge them, but that’s not the case anymore and while it’s one of the biggest 147 fights ever, with the emergence of Ortiz Jnr and Ennis, it takes some shine off. Crawford is 35 soon btw…so past it by your reasoning?

Last edited:
Crawford and Spence is the biggest fight of the year. Who wins? They are both great fighters?

Casual autism aside, Rocky Marciano started his career a little later to, Bernard Hopkins became the oldest champ in history, as did old George Foreman himself in the era you were a huge fan off. If we go by current lot, there’s Usyk and Loma to. Joyce has closed the gap due to his amateur pedigree from the european, world and olympic games. So any bum off the street starting their pro career at the same age as Joyce wont necessarily have the success he has and nor would Joyce have been weathered by excess damage. It’s rare but there are multiple factors which help him along with some excellent raw tools at hand in the form of his durability and power.

Am surprised you are this excited by Spence/Crawford after your comment on age etc a few years ago, there may not have been any contenders who could challenge them, but that’s not the case anymore and while it’s one of the biggest 147 fights ever, with the emergence of Ortiz Jnr and Ennis, it takes some shine off. Crawford is 35 soon btw…so past it by your reasoning?

Bar Fury and the middleweight (usyk) the lack of quality IQ in heavyweights in this era really mskes in to a " any tom dick and harry" era. Agree Joyce has abit of quality, but the lack of speed in his movement, head movement, punches, leaves hugh glaring weaknesses. And any heavyweight worth his money would school him, but not in this era.

As for Crawford and Spencer, these two are ligitimate elites, and i for one cant wait for a proper showdown.

What did Ruddock ever do? you named Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson and Bowe, a couple in their twilight; besides them which fantastic fighters got your juices flowing almost three decades ago? but, I don’t blame you for being asleep between 2004-2014. Things have been different since then.

Alot of these points could be applied to Fury, who has he beaten that would be classed as an elite in his Prime.
Klitchko was past his best
Wilder a one trick pony and who else?

Bar Fury and the middleweight (usyk) the lack of quality IQ in heavyweights in this era really mskes in to a " any tom dick and harry" era. Agree Joyce has abit of quality, but the lack of speed in his movement, head movement, punches, leaves hugh glaring weaknesses. And any heavyweight worth his money would school him, but not in this era.

As for Crawford and Spencer, these two are ligitimate elites, and i for one cant wait for a proper showdown.

Foreman was accused of the same, but he had great amateur pedigree and Joyce has that to, it’s not utilised consistently but we saw it in his big fights. Joyce is not going to be an easy night for any of top names in the division due to his raw tools, size and excellent jab.

Alot of these points could be applied to Fury, who has he beaten that would be classed as an elite in his Prime.
Klitchko was past his best
Wilder a one trick pony and who else?

Wlad was a quality win plus we saw he almost beat AJ despite being inactive for 18 months or so and was into his 40s then, he was in his peak championship form when he fought Fury and unbeaten for over a decade, assuming he was past it which is what is said when a fighter is defeated, he lost 11 rounds out of 12 as the lineal champion, that indicates Fury is simply vastly superior to Wlad and his unorthodox style combined with his size is just all wrong for Wlad, again this is where age is subjective, Wlad was getting beaten from pillar to post in his early career due to his technical flaws and engine issues until he joined Steward. Wilder has an under rated jab and that one trick of his the right hand would hold its own against any fighter from the 90’s, if Hashim Rahman, Frank Bruno and Oliver McCall could have success why on earth would Wilder be doomed despite being statistically the biggest puncher in history, he had an aura, they all do until they lose in this era but he held his own in the trilogy outside that second fight against a special fighter. But am unsure how this is relevant to Ruddock, what did he do anyway besides giving Lennox a highlight reel smashing KO on his resume?

Wlad was a quality win plus we saw he almost beat AJ despite being inactive for 18 months or so and was into his 40s then, he was in his peak championship form when he fought Fury and unbeaten for over a decade, assuming he was past it which is what is said when a fighter is defeated, he lost 11 rounds out of 12 as the lineal champion, that indicates Fury is simply vastly superior to Wlad and his unorthodox style combined with his size is just all wrong for Wlad, again this is where age is subjective, Wlad was getting beaten from pillar to post in his early career due to his technical flaws and engine issues until he joined Steward. Wilder has an under rated jab and that one trick of his the right hand would hold its own against any fighter from the 90’s, if Hashim Rahman, Frank Bruno and Oliver McCall could have success why on earth would Wilder be doomed despite being statistically the biggest puncher in history, he had an aura, they all do until they lose in this era but he held his own in the trilogy outside that second fight against a special fighter. But am unsure how this is relevant to Ruddock, what did he do anyway besides giving Lennox a highlight reel smashing KO on his resume?

Respect your input, but for me no way Fury goes down as an all time great. This era is trully awful .

Just saw Joyce previous fights. He has a chin. He beats AJ and maybe wilder. Not Tyson

Just saw Joyce previous fights. He has a chin. He beats AJ and maybe wilder. Not Tyson

See the Daniel Dubois fight, it was billed as a big domestic clash between two potentially future world champions. Dubois was expected to wipe Joyce out, but many punters were unfamiliar with Joyce’s style and amateur pedigree / combined with his manner of fighting early in his career

id say crawford, theres some t1000 about him. think crawford is quality, although would be a great fight.

What do you make of Crawford’s ring activity? he is use to fighting twice a year, but he practically lives in the gym from what we’ve heard from Amir and he is an exceptional athlete, plus his gameplay tends to heavily revolve around his opponents strengths / looks to adapt during a fight. The last time he was out for 12 months he fought Brook and demolished him. Spence similarly hasn’t been impacted by ring rust. But still, it’s worth pointing out Spence would have been more oiled and I believe his team have had all the leverage in negotiation / aware of the fight being confirmed for sure while Crawford has been pushed around, if they do agree the November date then he’d have about 6-8 weeks where mentally he knows he will be in action, while Spence would have been aware all along.

What do you make of Crawford’s ring activity? he is use to fighting twice a year, but he practically lives in the gym from what we’ve heard from Amir and he is an exceptional athlete, plus his gameplay tends to heavily revolve around his opponents strengths / looks to adapt during a fight. The last time he was out for 12 months he fought Brook and demolished him. Spence similarly hasn’t been impacted by ring rust. But still, it’s worth pointing out Spence would have been more oiled and I believe his team have had all the leverage in negotiation / aware of the fight being confirmed for sure while Crawford has been pushed around, if they do agree the November date then he’d have about 6-8 weeks where mentally he knows he will be in action, while Spence would have been aware all along.

from what I've followed of him he seems like an extremely mature and professional dude, theres something very zen about him, even if he is emotionally riled he hides it well.

and as u said he seems to adapt to his opponents, not just in preparation but on the fly too, very high ring iq fighter, most of his moves seem deliberate and he always control the distance, rarely is he in the wrong place.

heard his family are from a wrestling background (the greco roman one), also his daughters video shows there some serious athletic genes in that family.

i haven't seen enough of spence to comment on him, i just like Crawford for the above reasons, in a world of exuberant show ponies he's a thoroughbred.

Deontay Wilder expects fourth Tyson Fury fight | Anthony Joshua has 'a big stamina problem' but will be back

Deontay Wilder expects Anthony Joshua to make a top-level return and the American believes his own business with Tyson Fury remains unfinished.

Wilder lost his WBC title to Fury in a memorable sequence of contests culminating in a thrilling stoppage defeat in their third fight last year.

Wilder is now forging his own path back to title class. The American fights Robert Helenius in an eliminator on October 15 and could have to fight Andy Ruiz Jr after that to force his way back up the WBC rankings.

But he believes he could still box Fury a fourth time.

"I think that there's definitely a chance of a fourth fight again," Wilder told Adam Smith of Sky Sports. "Boxing is a business. Many people call it a sport but it's not a sport.

"The heavyweight division is very small. I'm still a big fish in the business, especially here in America. As long as we're all in the same division and all still currently fighting, why not? It only can lead to that. With all that being said, it's definitely a possibility."

A title shot could however come up sooner. Oleksandr Usyk, who beat Joshua twice to win and retain the WBO, WBA and IBF belts, has floated the possibility of fighting Wilder himself.

"I heard about the Usyk situation and he's going to be there. I hold Usyk to be a man of his word," Wilder said.

"If Usyk's saying he wants to give me an opportunity for the titles then that's what I'm holding his word to. I always tell people that I don't look past fighters but I do look through them, there's nothing wrong with that, being confident in yourself and looking ahead once this chapter is closed.

"I've got to handle business at the end of the day. Without handling business then nothing else is moving forward. I'm taking it one fight at a time. I'm taking it all in one day at a time. Once I've accomplished and finished what I have to do with Robert then I'll move on and I'll be looking forward to the next challenge, whether it's Usyk or whether it's anybody else."

Wilder is coming back from defeat. and he expects Anthony Joshua to do likewise.

"I just think Joshua was very cautious in what he did as far as exchanging punches [with Usyk]. I always forever said it, as I see it he has a big stamina problem," Wilder said.

However he added, "I think if he can correct that, I think you will see a different Joshua. You won't see one that's so hesitant to throw punches and do things especially when he had Usyk, was close to getting him out of there.

"I think he was just a little fearful of running out of gas too quick and too fast and he held back a little bit."

That, Wilder considers, is something which he can change. "Where there's a will there's a way," he said.

"When you go back in the gym and get yourself together and think about all the things, then it's time to come back and revive yourself and do the things that you've got to do.

"When people think people have failed in certain things I don't think just because something didn't go your way, I don't consider it as failure. Failure is only someone that has given up in life and don't want to succeed to make themselves great. I feel everyone has greatness in them.

"It's not over for him unless he says it is."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...ua-has-a-big-stamina-problem-but-will-be-back

from what I've followed of him he seems like an extremely mature and professional dude, theres something very zen about him, even if he is emotionally riled he hides it well.

and as u said he seems to adapt to his opponents, not just in preparation but on the fly too, very high ring iq fighter, most of his moves seem deliberate and he always control the distance, rarely is he in the wrong place.

heard his family are from a wrestling background (the greco roman one), also his daughters video shows there some serious athletic genes in that family.

i haven't seen enough of spence to comment on him, i just like Crawford for the above reasons, in a world of exuberant show ponies he's a thoroughbred.

All great points on Bud, you said it perfectly, he’s a thoroughbred and genuine old school throwback from the days of fighters who lived in the gym. Spence has a similar mentality, this guy was written off after an almost career ending crash but after that long lay off went into a fight with Danny Garcia and beat him to the point where Garcia began to experience depression soon after.

I don’t know if true but some reports which indicate the fight is off. Anyhow, there has been no formal announcement regardless.

KHAPLU: Usman Wazeer became the first Pakistani boxer on Wednesday to win the World Boxing Organization (WBO) Youth World Title, after he knocked his opponent out in the sixth round of the bout.

Wazeer, 22, who hails from Astore in Pakistan’s northern Gilgit-Baltistan region, is also known as ‘The Asian Boy’ and is widely regarded one of the best contemporary Pakistani boxers.

He is currently an undefeated welterweight boxer and holds the Asian Boxing Federation (ABF) Asian title, the first Pakistani to achieve the feat. With his latest victory, Wazeer has now achieved victory in all nine professional bouts that he has fought in so far.

On Wednesday, Wazeer faced off against his Thai opponent Somphot Seesa, 23, for the title in the 147-pound weight class in the WBO Youth competition in Bangkok, Thailand.

Wazeer started off confidently, landing blows on his opponent right from the first round. A flurry of right and strong left blows in the sixth round of the bout eventually saw him knocking out Seesa.

KHAPLU: Usman Wazeer became the first Pakistani boxer on Wednesday to win the World Boxing Organization (WBO) Youth World Title, after he knocked his opponent out in the sixth round of the bout.

Wazeer, 22, who hails from Astore in Pakistan’s northern Gilgit-Baltistan region, is also known as ‘The Asian Boy’ and is widely regarded one of the best contemporary Pakistani boxers.

He is currently an undefeated welterweight boxer and holds the Asian Boxing Federation (ABF) Asian title, the first Pakistani to achieve the feat. With his latest victory, Wazeer has now achieved victory in all nine professional bouts that he has fought in so far.

On Wednesday, Wazeer faced off against his Thai opponent Somphot Seesa, 23, for the title in the 147-pound weight class in the WBO Youth competition in Bangkok, Thailand.

Wazeer started off confidently, landing blows on his opponent right from the first round. A flurry of right and strong left blows in the sixth round of the bout eventually saw him knocking out Seesa.

Needs to fight better competition

Needs to fight better competition

His amateur career is very limited and I don’t think Pak have an authentic national championship set up either. Turning pro early when he is still developing, there should be no hurry to step up, he can only go at his own pace but requires shrewd management in order to progress. Am not saying he is going to be the next Canelo, but look up the names he fought in his career at an early stage without much of a amateur career, it is the norm in Mexico to turn pro as early as possible and learn the game that way, but it takes some more time, the advantages are that you sit on your punches more but may not be as light on your feet so need to develop a high ring IQ and counter punching ability

yes but quality in Mexico when it comes to boxing is superb. There is literally a boxing gym on every other corner

yes but quality in Mexico when it comes to boxing is superb. There is literally a boxing gym on every other corner

That’s true but they would still face cans and use them to experiment with technique before making the jump up. I take your point though on competition in Pakistan, it is minimal, and these blokes need to travel east and then west if things go well

Congratulations to Wazeer.

He looks a great talent, nice jab and a solid defence.

Pakistan has a lot of talent in combat sports waiting to be unearthed. Sadly there is little funding for them but hope this changes soon.

Agree with Shaz619, no need for him to rush. Build up experience , learn the trade before moving up against the better fighters.

That’s true but they would still face cans and use them to experiment with technique before making the jump up. I take your point though on competition in Pakistan, it is minimal, and these blokes need to travel east and then west if things go well
I also agree, he needs not to rush. Will watch his fights later tonight.

given how many good boxers a tiny britpak minority have produced, theres no doubt to me with the proper set up pak could produce world champions.

the real issue is the lack of an international set up means these guys would find it very tough to crack the richer markets, kinda like central asian boxers who have to get to the top of their game before getting decent anglophonic attention, however they still have decent local and regional competition to develop themslves.

unfortunately there are so many issues in Pakistan, developing boxing would require the generosity of a very motivated group of patrons, as its beyond the scope of the state imo.

Chris Eubank Jr v Conor Benn: Eubank's lack of 'respect' for rival's punching power 'scares' Roy Jones Jr

"I don't think Eubank does respect Benn's power and that's the only thing that scares me a little bit."

All-time great Roy Jones Jr's message to Chris Eubank Jr is simple: do not underestimate the smaller man, Conor Benn.

The sons of legends reignite their all-British family feud at London's O2 Arena on 8 October, some 20 years after their fathers' historic fights.

Jones has 47 knockouts on his own record and has trained Eubank in recent fights, but Ronnie Davies has taken over from the American for this one bout after Jones stepped aside as Eubank's head coach and from corner duties.

Jones recognises one-punch knockout power when he sees it, and he sees it in unbeaten Benn, despite the fighter moving up almost two weight classes to face his bigger rival.

"He loves to brawl," says Jones about Benn. "He can box - I'm not saying he can't - but he'll smash you out like his dad. Not many people have stopped Chris Algieri. He did it."

"Conor is his father's son," he continues. "If he gets the opportunity to take you out, he's going to take you out and that's just who he is.

"If I were in Chris' corner, I would keep telling him - listen, don't just let him hit you. Don't just allow him to hit you. I don't care that he's smaller, I don't care if you don't respect his punch power."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/63093238

Former boxer David Haye grabbed a man by the throat and threatened to kill him during a comedy show, a court has heard.

Haye, 41, is accused of assaulting Nickesh Jhala halfway through Paul Chowdry's comedy set at Hammersmith Apollo in London on 30 October 2021.

Prosecuting, Jonathan Bryan told Westminster Magistrates Court on Tuesday that Mr Jhala, his cousin and his girlfriend had been moved to better seats during the interval.

Giving evidence, Mr Jhala said that he was talking about how pleased they were to have been moved forward when Haye approached him.

"He leans down to me, starts speaking into my ear and puts his hand around my throat," he told the court.

Mr Jhala claimed Haye said to him: "Say one more word and I am going to kill you."

CCTV footage shows Haye stepping over Mr Jhala's seat and bending over to talk to him.

The alleged victim said he was not hurt but "felt threatened" and was "shaking".

Defending, James Scobie KC said Haye did not put his hands around Mr Jhala's throat.

"Our unequivocal case is 'hand on shoulder' at most, and no threats to kill, ever," he told the court.

Mr Scobie added that Mr Jhala's cousin, who was a boxing fan, had asked for Haye's autograph but been refused.

After that, he claims the pair began discussing Haye's career, mentioning other boxers such as Amir Khan and Tony Bellew.

Bellew beat Haye on both occasions the pair fought - in 2017 and 2018.

The comments were designed to "get a rise out of him", Mr Scobie said.

Mr Jhala and his cousin also commented that Haye's girlfriend "must love the brothers", meaning she is attracted to black men, Mr Scobie said.

At this point, Haye and his lawyers claim he said to Mr Jhala: "Don't talk about me or my girlfriend anymore, that's enough.

"Otherwise I will have you thrown out."

Mr Jhala denies this version of events. The trial continues.

Former boxer David Haye grabbed a man by the throat and threatened to kill him during a comedy show, a court has heard.

Prosecuting, Jonathan Bryan told Westminster Magistrates Court on Tuesday that Mr Jhala, his cousin and his girlfriend had been moved to better seats during the interval.

Giving evidence, Mr Jhala said that he was talking about how pleased they were to have been moved forward when Haye approached him.

"He leans down to me, starts speaking into my ear and puts his hand around my throat," he told the court.

Mr Jhala claimed Haye said to him: "Say one more word and I am going to kill you."

CCTV footage shows Haye stepping over Mr Jhala's seat and bending over to talk to him.

The alleged victim said he was not hurt but "felt threatened" and was "shaking".

Defending, James Scobie KC said Haye did not put his hands around Mr Jhala's throat.

"Our unequivocal case is 'hand on shoulder' at most, and no threats to kill, ever," he told the court.

Group 'tried to get a rise' out of Haye

Mr Scobie added that Mr Jhala's cousin, who was a boxing fan, had asked for Haye's autograph but been refused.

After that, he claims the pair began discussing Haye's career, mentioning other boxers such as Amir Khan and Tony Bellew.

Bellew beat Haye on both occasions the pair fought - in 2017 and 2018.

The comments were designed to "get a rise out of him", Mr Scobie said.

Mr Jhala and his cousin also commented that Haye's girlfriend "must love the brothers", meaning she is attracted to black men, Mr Scobie said.

At this point, Haye and his lawyers claim he said to Mr Jhala: "Don't talk about me or my girlfriend anymore, that's enough.

"Otherwise I will have you thrown out."

Mr Jhala denies this version of events. The trial continues.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...sedgntp&cvid=0f84d85133c84c57bda4574e04032667

Deontay Wilder has three years left in boxing: 'That could be nine fights or it could be six fights, after that I'm done'

Deontay Wilder, the former WBC heavyweight champion, has only given himself three more years in the sport.

Returning from a stoppage loss in his third fight with Tyson Fury, Wilder fights Robert Helenius on October 15. He is planning for this to be one of the final few fights of his career.

"I've tried to fight nothing but the best," Wilder told Sky Sports. "I'm picking up where I left off at because I only have three more years left that once that's over I'm done.

"I have three years or less. That could be nine fights or it could be six fights that I'm going to give and after that I'm done."

Until he lost to Fury, Wilder was the long-standing WBC titlist. He has forged a reputation based on his fearsome power-punching. He believes his achievements already stand for themselves.

"No matter what people say good or bad, my accomplishments will never be forgotten. I'll always be here," he said. "I'm really motivating and inspiring people all over the world."

Wilder is in a position in his career where he can set himself a retirement date. "I am one of those fighters that's made it out. I don't need the business of boxing anymore," Wilder said. "I don't need the business, the business needs me.

"It's not where you from, it's where you're trying to go. And I'm trying to go, I got there," he added. "Those that laugh and taunted I guess the laugh is on you now."

In his final few fights he intends to deliver entertainment. "I'm looking forward to fighting my old sparring partner Robert Helenius and it's going to be a great one. I know he's got a fighter's heart and mentality as well as I have a fighter's heart and mentality. So it's set up to be a fantastic fight. So may the best man win," Wilder said.

"One thing that makes Robert dangerous is he has a warrior heart. Your heart is what controls everything. Many people would think that mind controls it all but it doesn't because many times the mind will tell you to quit, you can't go no more, you can't do this.

"Your heart will tell you die for it. You will do anything whatever it takes to get it done."

Wilder also hasn't ruled out boxing in the UK before the end of his career. "There is a big possibility that could happen," he said. "I believe it's definitely possible that you may see me across the pond in the near future for sure."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...-or-it-could-be-six-fights-after-that-im-done

Gevonta davis vs ryan garcia announced by both fighters. interesting fight.

Gevonta davis vs ryan garcia announced by both fighters. interesting fight.

I am surprised this is getting booked, will wait till that first bell, you never know these days

I look forward to Wilder’s comeback, you don’t know how a loss affects a fighter until he gets back in the shower again but he didn’t just suffer a loss, but a brutal beatdown. Hopefully he gets back in form, would be great for the division

I am surprised this is getting booked, will wait till that first bell, you never know these days

I look forward to Wilder’s comeback, you don’t know how a loss affects a fighter until he gets back in the shower again but he didn’t just suffer a loss, but a brutal beatdown. Hopefully he gets back in form, would be great for the division

Wilder has ability to still beat most HW apart from Joyce and usyk. i can see him best helianious easily who will come and just be defensive as always. Ruiz vs wilder would be good to watch.

Wilder has ability to still beat most HW apart from Joyce and usyk. i can see him best helianious easily who will come and just be defensive as always. Ruiz vs wilder would be good to watch.

surprised u think wilder doesn't beat usyk, ring rust notwithstanding i don't see how usyk could cause wilder problems. even joshua hurt usyk a few times across their fights, i don't see how usyk cd deal with wilders power, and wilder wdnt get rattled with being outscored consistently like aj was. wilder knocked down fury numerous times across their trilogy, usyk would not get up if he got caught like that imo.

Deontay Wilder believes a bout with Anthony Joshua is still "the number one fight in the world" as he prepares to make his return to action on Saturday.

Wilder, 36, last fought a year ago and faces Robert Helenius in New York on his comeback.

The heavyweight's goal is to become world champion again, but Wilder also has big plans for a bout against Britain's Joshua.

"I would love to do that fight in Africa," he told BBC Sport.

"It's still the number one fight in the world for everyone. Everywhere I go, people always talk about me versus Joshua."

There have been several classic heavyweight encounters in Africa, including Muhammad Ali's fight with George Foreman in Kinshasa in 1974.

"We both have roots from there," Wilder explained.

"I think it would be an amazing place to have it, to go back home. To go back to the motherland. A continent full of our people. I can just see that being an amazing fight, win, lose or draw.

"I think we'll get the respect and love from all the people over there."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/63228768

surprised u think wilder doesn't beat usyk, ring rust notwithstanding i don't see how usyk could cause wilder problems. even joshua hurt usyk a few times across their fights, i don't see how usyk cd deal with wilders power, and wilder wdnt get rattled with being outscored consistently like aj was. wilder knocked down fury numerous times across their trilogy, usyk would not get up if he got caught like that imo.
Usyk will outbox wilder. Wiilder has a punchers chance. Will be a good fight

Usyk will outbox wilder. Wiilder has a punchers chance. Will be a good fight

I'm not doubting that, but i think wilder would withstand the punishment significantly better than aj did. aj was done after 9 rounds. also unlike aj if wilder was behind on the points hed go for the hail mary attack, and just that thought in the back of usyks mind is likely to change how he would fight imo.

It’s still always interesting to see how a fighter responds to such a brutal beating. I think it’s a must see fight.

Anyhow, assuming he retains his earlier form. I do see Usyk giving Wilder technical issues but I also don’t see Usyk being elusive enough to avoid Wilder’s right hand for the whole fight, I can envision Usky doing well on the cards until he is decked multiple times.

Wilder/Joyce on the other hand would be more balanced in terms of the odds, stylistically it would be exciting to watch given the clash and I am curious to see what would happen when a clean right hand lands on the chin of Joe Joyce.

Claressa Shields v Savannah Marshall: American produces career-best performance in historic fight

Claressa Shields became undisputed middleweight champion by beating long-time rival Savannah Marshall via unanimous decision in London.

The American was sensational in a career-best performance, avenging the only defeat on her pro and amateur record and staking her claim as one of the best fighters in the world.

All three judges saw it in Shields' favour - 96-96, 97-93, 97-93 - as she claimed the WBA, IBF, WBO, WBC and Ring Magazine titles on a historic night for women's boxing.

Both women paid tribute to each other and touted a potential rematch after a night of firsts at the O2 Arena.

Read more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/63273495

Former heavyweight world champion Deontay Wilder knocked out Robert Helenius in the first round as the 'Bronze Bomber' made a winning return to boxing in Brooklyn, New York.

The American, 36, was stepping into the ring for the first time since his second successive knockout defeat by Tyson Fury last October.

He hit Finnish opponent Helenius flush in the face from his famous right hand with seconds left in the opening round.

"It was a great night," said Wilder.

"I had to take my time. I was making him reach. I wanted to be mobile, agile and hostile. I set him up, allowed him to reach and then when he reached, I attacked."

He added: "We wanted to make this fun again. You can do this so long it can be a job, just something you are doing. We made it fun. It paid off big time."

Victory over Helenius, his former sparring partner, at Barclays Center improved Wilder's record to 43-2 with one draw and 42 knockouts.

The back-to-back defeats by Fury were the first of Wilder's previously unblemished career and stripped him of the WBC title he had held since 2015, and he had seriously considered retirement in the months afterwards.

Next up, he could face fellow American and former world champion Andy Ruiz Jr or Ukraine's Oleksandr Usyk, while he also wants to fight Britain's Anthony Joshua believing it would be "the number one fight in the world".

"Who's next? I'm down for whatever," Wilder said. "Andy Ruiz, Usyk or whatever. I'm back. The excitement is back in the heavyweight division."

BBC

First clean right hand and Wilder sends Helenius to out of space, and in that moment Wilder all of a sudden becomes an unviable opponent for a number of Heavyweights in the top 10. That was brutal and sick, Wilder is at his best this light and lightning quick. He is a very strong cookie mentally and it wouldn’t shock me if he wins a world title again. Helenius has been one of Wilder’s major sparring partners over the years and even then, he couldn’t last more than a round, he was coming off a good couple of wins to over Adam Kownachi, just a big gulf in class though. I highly doubt Hearns and AJ will fancy Wilder, but I like Ruiz Jnr as the next opponent, great fight.

I watched Shields/Marshall, Shields largely outboxed Marshall and won the first half of the fight with her ring generalship, used great movement and speed, attacked the body and used a partial Philly shell defence to block most of Marshall’s punches who looked one dimensional when she was attacking in straight lines and was poor with her feet, in the second half she was cutting Shields off better and pinning her on the ropes, she had more success here and at mid range when she used her side step more to attack Shields from non linear angles but it was too late and she didn’t go to the body enough. Shields is a special fighter and arguably the best technical women's fighter ever. Also watched Mayer/BumGardner, Mayer controlled the pace and used her feints well, she used her combination punching well and her defence was sound, there was little activity from BumGardner but I am happy with the result :yk3, I think the judges were distracted in this fight :afridi

Didn’t bother to watch Haney/Kambosos, knew it would be another demolition, if I find highlights may check it out. Haney is on another level and is destined for greatness.

That punch landed flush on Helenius but it didn't look all that powerful. I mean, there wasn't hardly any backswing or weight behind it.

I'm kind of puzzled by it.

If I had to bet, I would bet Wilder beats everyone in the division barring Fury. And also would put even money on a 4th fight between Wilder and Fury.

I would be a great match to watch Wilder vs. Joshua. I think that would be super entertaining. But I think Wilder knocks him out.

Wilder also looks kind of puny compared to previous power punching champions. Lewis for example had a devastating right hand but his build backed that up - he had a huge back for instance. Tyson was a muscular unit. Other power punchers like Foreman were powerfully built.

Wilder looks scrawny in comparison. He weighed in around 214-215 I believe and for his height that is very light. He had no body fat. But the power was there.

Wilder also looks kind of puny compared to previous power punching champions. Lewis for example had a devastating right hand but his build backed that up - he had a huge back for instance. Tyson was a muscular unit. Other power punchers like Foreman were powerfully built.

Wilder looks scrawny in comparison. He weighed in around 214-215 I believe and for his height that is very light. He had no body fat. But the power was there.

While it is true that you either have it or you don’t, power can be improved. Unlike the build of those in the past, Wilder works heavily on mobility, flexibility of his muscle and plyometrics. His conditioning is outstanding to and he largely avoids road work to ensure the health of his bones. Speed, timing and torque play a big part and with those long arms and excellent technique he can exert max force, he punches very straight and aims for attacking the opponent through the target, he gets criticised for being wild but the set up for his big right hand is sound.

But your bemusement justified, because he didn’t use his full leverage at shorter range which is more suited to guys without the ability to get the most out of a full extension and essentially he was sitting on his back foot. However, he was still able to put his weight into the shot, with the speed/timing and flexibility of his muscles 214 lb is still a lot, the flexibility of his muscles allow him to apply more torque imo.

Wilder does a lot of drills which heavily focus on power and his diet plays a big part to. People called Mike a freak in his peak and nobody trained like how Cus had him train either, we wont know all the secrets unless we in the camp but there is a method to the madness we witnessed.

And we can’t discount the mindset either, he wants that KO and his game revolves around that regardless of the situation or opponent, despite the losses to Fury it is still remarkable he put a guy that huge and that skilled down, self belief and the will to go for broke is instrumental and Wilder is rarely phased, we’ve seen him get outboxed by lesser fighters and still got the KO.

Last edited:
Wilder is a great puncher and a terrible boxer. He will ko Joshua . The Ukrainian will outbox him and beat him. Fury beats him every time. . The rest he can ko

<b>Deontay Wilder, the former WBC heavyweight champion, has only given himself three more years in the sport.</b>

Returning from a stoppage loss in his third fight with Tyson Fury, Wilder fights Robert Helenius on October 15. He is planning for this to be one of the final few fights of his career.

"I've tried to fight nothing but the best," Wilder told Sky Sports. "I'm picking up where I left off at because I only have three more years left that once that's over I'm done.

"I have three years or less. That could be nine fights or it could be six fights that I'm going to give and after that I'm done."

Until he lost to Fury, Wilder was the long-standing WBC titlist. He has forged a reputation based on his fearsome power-punching. He believes his achievements already stand for themselves.

"No matter what people say good or bad, my accomplishments will never be forgotten. I'll always be here," he said. "I'm really motivating and inspiring people all over the world."

Wilder is in a position in his career where he can set himself a retirement date. "I am one of those fighters that's made it out. I don't need the business of boxing anymore," Wilder said. "I don't need the business, the business needs me.

"It's not where you from, it's where you're trying to go. And I'm trying to go, I got there," he added. "Those that laugh and taunted I guess the laugh is on you now."

In his final few fights he intends to deliver entertainment. "I'm looking forward to fighting my old sparring partner Robert Helenius and it's going to be a great one. I know he's got a fighter's heart and mentality as well as I have a fighter's heart and mentality. So it's set up to be a fantastic fight. So may the best man win," Wilder said.

"One thing that makes Robert dangerous is he has a warrior heart. Your heart is what controls everything. Many people would think that mind controls it all but it doesn't because many times the mind will tell you to quit, you can't go no more, you can't do this.

"Your heart will tell you die for it. You will do anything whatever it takes to get it done."

Wilder also hasn't ruled out boxing in the UK before the end of his career. "There is a big possibility that could happen," he said. "I believe it's definitely possible that you may see me across the pond in the near future for sure."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...-or-it-could-be-six-fights-after-that-im-done

Josh Taylor-Jack Catterall February rematch terms agreed

Josh Taylor and Jack Catterall have agreed terms for a rematch in February.

The pair will meet again a year on from their highly-controversial first world title encounter in Glasgow.

Many saw English challenger Catterall as a clear winner on the night, only for Scottish light-welterweight world champion Taylor to be awarded the victory by the judges.

The Hydro in Glasgow, which staged the first bout, is in line to host the rematch on 4 February.

Taylor has been forced to vacate three of his four light-welterweight world titles in order to grant Catterall the rematch he has been chasing since tasting defeat for the first time in his career in the first bout.

Taylor's tactics and conditioning were questioned after the lacklustre display against Catterall.

The Scot has parted ways since with trainer Ben Davison, replacing him with Joe McNally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/63288643

Spence/Crawford is off.

But in positive news, Crawford will get an 8 figure sum to fight Avanesyan before the year is out.

Dillian Whyte will face Jermaine Franklin on 26 November in his first fight since losing to WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury earlier this year.

Oleksandr Usyk targets Tyson Fury fight in early 2023 and wants undisputed title bout in Ukraine

Oleksandr Usyk will only fight Tyson Fury next and has called on the "unpredictable" world heavyweight champion to agree to a bout in early 2023.

The Ukrainian's last fight was in August when he retained his WBA, IBF and WBO belts after a split-decision victory over Anthony Joshua in Jeddah.

Talks over an undisputed heavyweight contest with WBC-belt holder Fury took place immediately after the fight in Saudi Arabia, but the Brit will instead face Derek Chisora at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium next month.

It means the wait for all the titles to be on the line continues and while Usyk is determined to fight Fury, his religious beliefs mean they must get in the ring by March 4 or will have to wait until later in the year.

"Right now my team is seeking conversations with Tyson Fury, and he is really an unpredictable person, so we can't guarantee when," Usyk said at the Web Summit in Lisbon.

"For me, the idea would be to fight maybe early February or the beginning of March, like March 4, because I am an orthodox Christian.

"During the great fasting before Easter I do not fight, so it should be all before or then after orthodox Easter (April 16).

"I want to fight with Fury because I need the fourth belt, and I don't want to fight with anyone else until I have the fourth belt."

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...23-and-wants-undisputed-title-bout-in-ukraine

sheeraz stops wilson bent, lack of movement on wilson-bents part played right into sheeraz's gameplan. sheeraz may not be a good mover, but he has a bomb jab. wont really know how good he is until he reaches world level opponents, but good measured fight for him.

sheeraz stops wilson bent, lack of movement on wilson-bents part played right into sheeraz's gameplan. sheeraz may not be a good mover, but he has a bomb jab. wont really know how good he is until he reaches world level opponents, but good measured fight for him.

Missed this.

Which round and was it a polished performance or a bit ragged around the edges?

Back