Can India field a 2nd International XI ?

salahudin

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
I have read a short article in which chandra bose said that India has enough talent at the moment to field a international quality 2xi side.

Any ideas what it would look like choosing players not in the current Idian squad

I reckon Pakistan could put out a better 2nd team then India

Sharjeel khan
Afaq raheem
Sohaib maqsood
Babar azam (c)
Navid yasin
Usman Salahuddin
Umar Saddiq(wk)
Anwar ali
Raza hasan
Imran Khan
Sadaf hussain

I have read a short article in which chandra bose said that India has enough talent at the moment to field a international quality 2xi side.

Any ideas what it would look like choosing players not in the current Idian squad

I reckon Pakistan could put out a better 2nd team then India
Just imagine the second string Pakistan batsmen.. :))) :)))
Won't survive 30 overs. :yk

Pakistan 2nd XI

Sharjeel Khan
Babar azam
Umar Siddiq WK/Bat
Sohaib Maqsood
Umar Waheed
Hammad azam
Mohammad Nawaz
Bilwal Bhatti
Raza hasan
Nasir Malik
Sadaf Hussain

no way would a Pakistan A be better than an India A.

A pakistan A would have an average bowling attack bar Raza Hasan

While India A would have a crap bowling unit there batting will proberly perform better than the normal Pak side let alone Pak A

Pakistan test team in 2010
Imran Farhat
Salman Butt
Azhar ali
Mohammad Yousaf
Umar akmal
Shoaib Malik
Kamran akmal
Mohd Amir
Wahab Raiz
Dinesh Keneria
Mohamamd Asif

Pakistan test team in 2012 which defeated England 3/0
Tafeeq umar
Mohd HAFEEZ
Azhar ali
Younis khan
Misbah Ul haq
Asad Shafiq
Adnan Akmal
Abdur rehman
Saeed ajmal
Umar gul
Junaid khan

Pakistan Field 2nd XI After England tour in 2010 :)

While India A would have a crap bowling unit there batting will proberly perform better than the normal Pak side let alone Pak A

Pakistan UN-23 Bowling attack is Brillent
Nasir MALIK (Junaid type of left arm pacer)
Ehsan adil
Bilwal Bhatti
Hammad azam
Raza hasan
mohd NAWAZ

Vijay
Gambhir
Pujara
Sehwag
Yuvraj
Unmukt
Rayudu
I.Pathan
A.Mishra
P.Kumar
S.Ahmed

Vijay
Gambhir
Pujara
Sehwag
Yuvraj
Unmukt
Rayudu
I.Pathan
A.Mishra
P.Kumar
S.Ahmed

Not really!! India are a good team but as of now they are great only in 50 over format...

In test format they arent a great team after departure of Laxman, Dravid and ganguly...

And even their first line bowling attack has 2 good bowlers Ashwin and B.Kumar, their 2nd string bowlers are worse than Zimbabwean bowlers

Pakistan test team in 2010
Imran Farhat
Salman Butt
Azhar ali
Mohammad Yousaf
Umar akmal
Shoaib Malik
Kamran akmal
Mohd Amir
Wahab Raiz
Dinesh Keneria
Mohamamd Asif

Pakistan test team in 2012 which defeated England 3/0
Tafeeq umar
Mohd HAFEEZ
Azhar ali
Younis khan
Misbah Ul haq
Asad Shafiq
Adnan Akmal
Abdur rehman
Saeed ajmal
Umar gul
Junaid khan

Pakistan Field 2nd XI After England tour in 2010 :)

Then that way in the indian 0-4 whitewash our team was
Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Raina/yuvi
Dhoni
Harby/mishra
Sreesanth
Pk
Ishant
And the team that defeated australia at home 4-0 was
Vijay
Dhawan
Pujara
Sachin
Kohli
Dhoni
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ojha/harby
Bk
Ishant
Only 3-4 players are same while the rest of the team was changed,so even we were feilding a 'b' team by that logic!

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Raina/yuvi
Dhoni
Harby/mishra
Sreesanth
Pk
Ishant
Vijay
Dhawan
Pujara
Sachin
Kohli
Dhoni
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ojha/harby
Bk
Ishant
Only 3-4 players are same while the rest of the team was changed,so even we were feilding a 'b' team by that logic!

in Whitewash Team players like Kohli.Dhoni.Ishant.Ashwin were playinga
and Thay still Playing

where Pakistan lost 2 Brillent Fast bowler and still Doing well

and Remember how good Asif and Amir were with Ball

in Whitewash Team players like Kohli.Dhoni.Ishant.Ashwin were playinga
and Thay still Playing

where Pakistan lost 2 Brillent Fast bowler and still Doing well

and Remember how good Asif and Amir were with Ball

Ashwin and kohli were not a part of the england whitewash,they were a part when australia whitewashed us though.

Depends on format in 50 over format Indian 2nd XI would be better than Pakistan

In T20 and Test format i reckon Pakistan 2nd XI will be better...

For test matches

Pakistan 2nd XI bowling:

Abdur Rehman
Ehsan Adil
Bilawal Bhatti
M. Talha

This is a very sound 2nd string bowling attack

Pakistan 2nd string batting:
Taufeeq Umar
Imran Farhat
Babar Azam
Haris Sohail
Umar Akmal
Sohaib Maqsood
M. Rizwan (wk)

That is quite a decent 2nd XI

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Raina/yuvi
Dhoni
Harby/mishra
Sreesanth
Pk
Ishant
Vijay
Dhawan
Pujara
Sachin
Kohli
Dhoni
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ojha/harby
Bk
Ishant

Even Bangladesh would beat Aussies on current form :facepalm:

India doesn't have bowling to field an international quality 2nd XI. In ODI, even their second team will be able to compete though.

Last edited:
impossible to say how well a 2nd sring team would do because you have to guess how well a new comer would do in international cricket or how they would progress. 6 month ago if no one would have said Dhawan and jadeja were going to lead india to win a champions trophy in England.

And just imagine 2nd string bowling attack of India. I bet there will be dozens of 400+ scores in ODIs while double centuries will become a common thing. Huge averages will be on the way.
By the way,Pakistan senior team is in bad position because of failures like Malik,Farhat,K.Akmal,Hafeez are regular figures in the national team. I hope we learn now.
:pkflag

And just imagine 2nd string bowling attack of India. I bet there will be dozens of 400+ scores in ODIs while double centuries will become a common thing. Huge averages will be on the way.
By the way,Pakistan senior team is in bad position because of failures like Malik,Farhat,K.Akmal,Hafeez are regular figures in the national team. I hope we learn now.
:pkflag

Indian seniors are not much better than the 2nd string bowling attack. India's bowling strength will be the same almost, while batting strength will diminish a bit. India's ODI A team will actually compete with India team at 4/10.

PAKISTAN 2nd string International Side-
Sharjeel Khan
Afaq Raheem
Babar Azam(VC)
Sohaib Maqsood
Fawad Alam(C)
Hammad Azam
Mohammad Rizwan+
Ehsan Adil
Mohammad Aftab
Zia-ul-Haq
Raza Hasan
Other contenders-Ahmed Jamal,Nasir Malik,Yasir Shah,Usama Mir,Bilawal Bhatti,Mohammad Nawaz,Jamal Anwar,Anwar Ali.
NOTE->It is a huge headache that who should be the skipper between Fawad,Babar,Hammad.
> Umar Amin isn't considered because he is in 1st string international squad.
> Abdul Razzaq can be another option.

Indian seniors are not much better than the 2nd string bowling attack. India's bowling strength will be the same almost, while batting strength will diminish a bit. India's ODI A team will actually compete with India team at 4/10.

Agree,just replying to that fool. He is just insulting and going on and on. So I had to do that.#DownToEarth

ROFL

Watching the Indian 2nd XI bowling and Pakistan 2nd XI batting, will be a comedy of errors.

If I sit through that innings, I might even lose the will to live.

:)))

Who says we can field a second XI? We can't.

I think only three teams in history - Aussies of 95-07, WI of 80s and Pak of 90s - could realistically field a second XI and still be competitive. Not happening for anybody else - its too hard to find international class players.

I think only three teams in history - Aussies of 95-07, WI of 80s and Pak of 90s - could realistically field a second XI and still be competitive. Not happening for anybody else - its too hard to find international class players.

More example of Pakistani delusional thinking. Your first team in the 90s achieved squat (one flukey WC win, in which you were soundly thrashed by India, and well not much else), leave alone the second team.

90s were dominated by WI in the first half and Aus in the second half.

I actually thought that indias squad that was sent to the champions trophy was kinda of 2nd string, selecting dhawan kartik rohit sharma and vijay over pujara sehwag gambhir, and yuvraj was pretty questionable considering what they all averaged at that time(now that you think about it only dhawans selections was justified, rohits been okayish) . Plus ishant and yadav are probably interchangeable with bowlers like unadkat, aaron. Bhuvi has been great but theirs probably other new indian new ball bowlers that can cause some damage. Although not as good as kumar obviously. Ashwin hasn't been that great either IMO.

More example of Pakistani delusional thinking. Your first team in the 90s achieved squat (one flukey WC win, in which you were soundly thrashed by India, and well not much else), leave alone the second team.

90s were dominated by WI in the first half and Aus in the second half.

not really check Pakistan's W/L ratio in 90's, Pakistan was most consistent team of the 90's, Australia was inconsistent in first half while windies plummeted during 2nd half.

not really check Pakistan's W/L ratio in 90's, Pakistan was most consistent team of the 90's, Australia was inconsistent in first half while windies plummeted during 2nd half.

I'm not too familiar with Pakistan's team during the 90s, having begun watching cricket only since circa 2001 or so, so can you elaborate on what you think Pakistan's second XI would look like, across ODIs and tests during the period? Would they have won games outside of Sharjah? Could they have averted home series defeats to Australia and England? Could they have picked up an overseas test series win? A 50-over World Cup? And so on.

Batting wise i think Gambhir,Yuvraj, will walk into most international ODI sides,except may be South Africa.the likes of Rayidu,Manoj Tiwary,Rahane are better than most up comming ODI batsmen.
But bowling i think even our first string side is pretty average.

we can field 5-6 teams in international cricket easily :D listing them in decreasing order -

team 1:

dhawan
rohit
kohli
raina
rayudu
dhoni (c,w)
jadeja
ashwin
bk
ishant
zaheer

team 2:

gambhir (c)
sehwag
rahane
pujara
yuvraj
dinesh kartik (w)
rasool
amit mishra
unadkat
umesh
shami

team 3:

murali vijay
uthappa
unmukt chand
mandeep
manoj tiwary (c)
saha (w)
stuart binny
ojha
mohit sharma
praveen kumar
varun aaron

^They're all good enough to beat Lanka, I'll give you that.

There are a few things here actually, first of all India will not be able to field second XI as good as the main team.

secondly, it's disgusting to see a lot of people here make fun of the Indian bowling attack, which continues to do so well within their limitations, and let me make this very clear that there is not much of a difference between a second string Indian bowling attack and a first choice Indian bowling attack, both are not world beaters, I agree, but they are not as bad as they are made out to be.

lastly there is still a bit of a question mark on India's test team, the 4-0 win over Australia at home doesn't mean much to me, and before that we lost to ENG at home, also we haven't won a test abroad after that 0-8 thrashing we got, so in tests we still have a lot to prove.

In ODI's yes, in ODI's India are the best team in the world, because they have been winning everywhere and against just about everybody, but I still would say India are beatable, it's not that we are the best side by a long way or anything, we are the best side because others haven't been good either, they haven't been able to take advantage of our weak links which is our bowling as well as the inexperience in our batting, the day other teams inprove their games and I'm especially looking at teams like ENG, RSA, AUS and even PAK, we'll have to work really hard even in ODI's.

Last edited:
to all the Pakistanis, before we start thinking of a 2nd 11, our 1st 11 has to be a good one, which it is not.

India can put out a 2nd team no problem.

Even now, they have: Gambhir, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Rahane, Pujara, Sauarabh Tiwary, Umukt Chand, Murali Vijay, Rahul Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Varun Aaron and so many other studs that emerged out of IPL that are sitting outside. bowling will always be bad, but their batsmen can walk into many sides around the world..EASILY!

And an Indian 2nd XI. Will struggle to take half the opposition out even in 5 days. All batting records in all formats would be under threat. :)):)):)):)):))
Pakistan is already second string as compared to the top ODI teams (first round exit). The thought of a second string team of a sixth ranked ODI team really gives me a scare. On the other hand, India's second string team just won the CT.

Pakistan is already second string as compared to the top ODI teams (first round exit). The thought of a second string team of a sixth ranked ODI team really gives me a scare. On the other hand, India's second string team just won the CT.

And an indian first string team the WORLD CHAMPIONS lost an ODI series at their home to this Pakistan 2nd string team. Any explanantion

Now dnt say one off..... We are talking abt 1st string vs 2nd string

Really interesting discussion! I feel India, England and South Africa are three sides right now which can afford to field second XIs and compete decently across the globe. Regarding Indian bowling, I can assure there won't be much of a difference and infact I have high hopes for new kids on the bloc like Mohit Sharma, Parvez Rasool and Shami Ahmed. So we may just pull it off.

Yeah - consistently the middle-of-the-rung team through the decade, but never good enough to get to the top.

Pakistani domination of the 90s is a myth only the delusional Pakistanis believe in. Not backed by results.

I'm not too familiar with Pakistan's team during the 90s, having begun watching cricket only since circa 2001 or so, so can you elaborate on what you think Pakistan's second XI would look like, across ODIs and tests during the period? Would they have won games outside of Sharjah? Could they have averted home series defeats to Australia and England? Could they have picked up an overseas test series win? A 50-over World Cup? And so on.

I feel Pakistan should have won the 99 world cup than the 92 one. Just take a look at this playing XI of 99

Saeed Anwar
Shahid Afridi
Ijaz Ahmed
Inzamam
M Yousuf
Abdur Razzaq
Azhar Mehmood
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar

Bench : Waqar, Mushtaq, Wasti

The best ODI team in Pak history

Really interesting discussion! I feel India, England and South Africa are three sides right now which can afford to field second XIs and compete decently across the globe. Regarding Indian bowling, I can assure there won't be much of a difference and infact I have high hopes for new kids on the bloc like Mohit Sharma, Parvez Rasool and Shami Ahmed. So we may just pull it off.

Similarly I ve more faith in Babar Azam, Harris Sohail, Umar Amin thn Hafeez, Shehzad, Shafiq

I feel Pakistan should have won the 99 world cup than the 92 one. Just take a look at this playing XI of 99

Saeed Anwar
Shahid Afridi
Ijaz Ahmed
Inzamam
M Yousuf
Abdur Razzaq
Azhar Mehmood
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar

Yeah - so a team that lost comprehensively to Aus, India, Bangladesh (yes - even the Bangles) and SA (? - I don't remember) should have won the WC. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Only one word to describe this: delusion.

Yeah - so a team that lost comprehensively to Aus, India, Bangladesh (yes - even the Bangles) and SA (? - I don't remember) should have won the WC. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Only one word to describe this: delusion.

So why on earth did it make it to the finals..... India should have made it or Eng or SL

So why on earth did it make it to the finals..... India should have made it or Eng or SL

Reaching final doesn't make you the top team (especially given the way it lost in the final). In case of Pak not even #2, since it lost to so many other teams earlier. At least in 2003, India only lost to Aus, and no one else. So they were clear #2.

Get real. Pak were middle-of-the-pack in the 90s, not a top team.

Reaching final doesn't make you the top team (especially given the way it lost in the final). In case of Pak not even #2, since it lost to so many other teams earlier. At least in 2003, India only lost to Aus, and no one else. So they were clear #2.

Get real. Pak were middle-of-the-pack in the 90s, not a top team.

Ok let me ask you. Ind claim to be a top team for 3-4 years now. How many series have they won in Aus, Eng, SA, or even NZ for that matter. Let alone winning they have been thrashed. Winnig a one day world cup in their own back yard dont make you the best team

Saeed Anwar
Shahid Afridi
Ijaz Ahmed
Inzamam
M Yousuf
Abdur Razzaq
Azhar Mehmood
Moin Khan
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Shoaib Akhtar

What was the 2nd XI then?

Ok let me ask you. Ind claim to be a top team for 3-4 years now. How many series have they won in Aus, Eng, SA, or even NZ for that matter. Let alone winning they have been thrashed. Winnig a one day world cup in their own back yard dont make you the best team

Strawman argument.

You're changing the subject. Show me one post where I claimed India was the top team in this decade.

All I did was prove to you that the Pak was just a middle-of-the-pack team in the 90s, not a top team as some (most?) Pakistanis believe.

This has nothing to do with India. Get over your India obsession.

Forget 2 teams. India can field 3 teams. I will post the teams if u want. lol

The first India XI and second India XI test teams will win pretty much every series at home, except against England and SA. Both will loose away tours against top teams, and draw or win against lesser test teams. There isn't much difference that people make out here.

Both First India XI and Second India XI ODI teams will be competitive at the international level. Both teams will win more than they loose during the calender year. Same with T20 team.

The first India XI and second India XI test teams will win pretty much every series at home, except against England and SA. Both will loose away tours against top teams, and draw or win against lesser test teams. There isn't much difference that people make out here.

Both First India XI and Second India XI ODI teams will be competitive at the international level. Both teams will win more than they loose during the calender year. Same with T20 team.

To me test ckt is the real deal. I m sorry to say both ind n pak cnt compete with sa,aus and eng on their soil in tests. Pak will struggle to make 250 and ind will struggle to take 20 wkts

4th team:

Vijay zol
mandeep singh
Saurabh tiwary
yousuf pathan
Mohd. kaif
badrinath
sanju Samson
Rahul shukla
pawan suyal
Pankaj singh
dhawal kulkarni.

Last edited:
5th team is also possible...ha ha ha....That much talent India possess.

we can field 5-6 teams in international cricket easily :D listing them in decreasing order -

team 1:

dhawan
rohit
kohli
raina
rayudu
dhoni (c,w)
jadeja
ashwin
bk
ishant
zaheer

team 2:

gambhir (c)
sehwag
rahane
pujara
yuvraj
dinesh kartik (w)
rasool
amit mishra
unadkat
umesh
shami

team 3:

murali vijay
uthappa
unmukt chand
mandeep
manoj tiwary (c)
saha (w)
stuart binny
ojha
mohit sharma
praveen kumar
varun aaron

team 4:

jiwanjot singh
vijay zol
manpreet juneja
manish pandey
saurabh tiwary
sanju samson (w)
yusuf pathan
irfan pathan (would have been in team 2)
ishwar pandey
manpreet gony
shahbaz nadeem

teams 2-4 good enough to beat all international teams ranked below the top 4

I think people don't understand what second XI actually means... Sure India can post another top class second XI in batting terms but more often than not they'll lose because of their bowling. The AB's are the only team in the world who I think could post 3-4 teams and finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th 9/10 times.

I think people don't understand what second XI actually means... Sure India can post another top class second XI in batting terms but more often than not they'll lose because of their bowling. The AB's are the only team in the world who I think could post 3-4 teams and finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th 9/10 times.

U wont believe me. The team I have posted has the best bowlers available in india if u consider bowling really fast is the only category to select fast bowlers.

India's current XI

Dhawan, Vijay, Pujara, Kohli, Tendulkar, Dhoni, Jadeja, Ashwin, Yadav, Bhuv, Ojha/Ishant (depending on surface)

India's 2nd XI

Gambhir, Sehwag, Rahane, Karthik, Tiwary, Rohit/Rayadu, Parveez, Mishra, Unadkat, Shami, Zaheer/Harbhajan

We do have a strong bench strength with regards to batting.. but bowling does look weak in both the line ups.

Last edited:
U wont believe me. The team I have posted has the best bowlers available in india if u consider bowling really fast is the only category to select fast bowlers.
Well you have the biggest population of the playing countries and only play one sport.. You should be in all reality be able to post 10-20 XI's..

Well you have the biggest population of the playing countries and only play one sport.. You should be in all reality be able to post 10-20 XI's..

Again the population argument :))

Population size doesn't mean zilch if the infrastructure isn't there. Though in last decade BCCI has improved it a lot thats why India has improved in terms of producing cricketers than 90's.

Absolutely. Cricket exists in the world because of India. Otherwise its a dying sport.

Again the population argument :))

Population size doesn't mean zilch if the infrastructure isn't there. Though in last decade BCCI has improved it a lot thats why India has improved in terms of producing cricketers than 90's.
A country with a population of 4.5m and tendency to play more than one sport despite that we're able to dominate a sport now that's far more impressive... Just putting your second XI claim into perspective.. Our NZ Maori team have actually beaten the Lions and quite a few international teams before.

Last edited:
A country with a population of 4.5m and tendency to play more than one sport despite that we're able to dominate a sport now that's far more impressive... Just putting your second XI claim into perspective.. Our NZ Maori team have actually beaten the Lions and quite a few international teams before.

Lets face it, you are the chokers of Rugby. You nearly lost the world cup in your backyard.

The lions team of 2005 was not very strong. If the all blacks played against this years lions team, you would have been spanked left, right and centre.

LOL just LOL...beaten @ home by the poms... trashed abroad...
now they win a few LOIs tourneys and we get this...

And an indian first string team the WORLD CHAMPIONS lost an ODI series at their home to this Pakistan 2nd string team. Any explanantion

Now dnt say one off..... We are talking abt 1st string vs 2nd string
I knew that would be your reply. That series is all you have to brag about now for rest of your life. Only team to not win a game in CT. :))) :)))

I knew that would be your reply. That series is all you have to brag about now for rest of your life. Only team to not win a game in CT. :))) :)))

Trolling as usual.
By the way, even Aussies couldn't win a single game. So we ain't the only ones :yk

Lets face it, you are the chokers of Rugby. You nearly lost the world cup in your backyard..
But we didn't :p
We got robbed in 2007, were beaten by a better team in 2003 and were screwed by Suzie in 1995.

The lions team of 2005 was not very strong. If the all blacks played against this years lions team, you would have been spanked left, right and centre.
HA! Even Lions legends were talking about how they would of gotten smashed by the ABs and how fortunate they were to win, heck if Beale hadn't slipped in the first game you guys would of gone 24 years without a series win. The core for your team (Wales) have never beaten the AB's before either :D

Last edited:
pak second XI (ODIs)

1) Sharjeel khan
2) Azhar Ali (c)
3) Asad Shafiq
4) Babar Azam
5) Fawad Alam
6) Sohaib Maqsood
7) Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
8) Abdul Razzaq
9) Umar Gul
10) Ehsan Adil
11) Zulfiqar Babar

Pak third XI (ODIs)

1) Taufeeq Umar
2) Imran Farhat
3) Younis Khan (c)
4) Faisal Iqbal
5) Kamran Akmal (wk)
6) Shoaib Malik
7) Mohammad Nawaz
8) Anwer Ali
9) Sohail Tanvir
10) Raza Hasan
11) Aizaz Cheema

Pak fourth XI (ODIs)

1) Saad Nasim
2) Afaq Raheem
3) Khurram Manzoor
4) Khalid Latif
5) Usman Salahudin
6) Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
7) Abdur Rehman
8) Yasir Arafat
9) Yasir Shah
10) Bilawal Bhatti
11) Rahat Ali

wait what was the point of this again?

Absolutely. Cricket exists in the world because of India. Otherwise its a dying sport.
Cricket is a dying sport because of India... Competition drives success the boards of India, Australia and England have continuously oppressed the weaker boards to maintain an advantage (look at the number games these three play against each other and the number of games the other teams play)

Last edited:

if population were everything, china would also be in the top 5 cricket teams

and we can put up 10 teams if all 10 teams get exposure to international cricket. i posted 4 teams above & all 4 of them will thrash teams like sri lanka, west indies, new zealand, bangladesh, zimbabwe, ireland & also the current australian team

the top 2 teams will thrash england, south africa & pakistan easily

Last edited:
Back