Can Pakistan replicate the success of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 in upcoming ICC events?

mominsaigol

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
From 2024-2028, ICC has booked multiple events ranging from the upcoming 2024 t20 world cup, 2025 champions trophy all the way to cricket finally featuring In the prestigious Olympics.

The last time Pakistan won a tournament was in 2017 much to suprise of many. Regardless of whether it was a fluke as some fans may consider or a genuine path to success, it was a historic moment that will forever be etched into the history books of Cricket.

Since then Pakistan has failed to win a single event, and has frequently done poorly in tournaments.

Will Pakistan be able to win another icc tournament during the next 4 years? If the answer is no, then what are the reasons behind it and what can be done to replicate 1992,2009 and 2017.

1992, 2009, and 2017 were not results of any planning. Those were not fluke either.

Those happened because Pakistan clicked in those tournaments. The typical "Cornered Tiger" spirit.

Regarding Pakistan's chances, I think Pakistan have a good chance in 2024 World T20. Not sure about 2025 CT.

CT generally has 4 or 5 matches in all. If you click in the right match you can pull off an upset. You don't have to be dominating. In Pakistan's case India's toss decision had another influential factor. India chose to field first based on how they were unable to defend against Srilanka forgetting the fact Pakistan as a chaser will more likely to bottle than when they defend.

CT generally has 4 or 5 matches in all. If you click in the right match you can pull off an upset. You don't have to be dominating. In Pakistan's case India's toss decision had another influential factor. India chose to field first based on how they were unable to defend against Srilanka forgetting the fact Pakistan as a chaser will more likely to bottle than when they defend.
Tbf I somewhat disagree,

India always chooses to field first against Pakistan because they know Pakistan's batting is weak and they typically set low scores so indian batsmen don't have trouble chasing scores of 220 to 240 down.

It's just that day, all batsmen clicked and the bowlers also clicked.

With such a team and talent, I don't think they can win a tournament anytime soon
Well you wouldn't have said that in 2017 either considering we were no 8 and almost didn't even qualify for the tournament at one point.

after watching the recent PSL 9 I can safely say Pakistan doesn't not have the talent to compete with big teams around the world nor does it have a management with brains. when your highest wicket usama mir and mohammed ali thats tell you the situation of pakistan cricket

Firstly, miraculous victories like 1992 and 2017 cannot be used as templates for consistent success at tournaments. Good vibes and qudrat ka nizam cannot substitute for planning and preparation.

Although we cannot replicate England's post-2015 brand of aggressive cricket due to our lack of talent - we can learn from how Morgan ruthlessly purged players who didn't fit his vision and backed those who did. There were no panics after bilateral setbacks - just a relentless singular focus on 2019.

We can learn from how Australia wrap their premier pacers in cotton wool during meaningless bilaterals and prime them for the big events.

In contrast, what's our vision for 2027 ? Has there been any research into venues, identification of players most likely to succeed in SA conditions, rotation policies etc ?

Forget 2027, where's the planning for the South Africa tour THIS winter ? South Africa A recently hosted West Indies A. Why wasn't our A team out there ? Again it goes back to instability at the top, constant personnel changes, and why most likely we'll be again relying on miracles and duas at these tournaments hoping for another 1992 or 2017.

They dont have the leadership of 2015 neither they have the skill set that can make them champions now. Relying only on just two match winners you cant win any major tournament

You realise now that the guy was an absolute gem
On his leadership I have never had any doubt. Indeed he was the best captain for Pakistan after Imran Khan. I always criticized his batting specially recently that he should retire from the PSL and give a chance to a youngster.

Firstly, miraculous victories like 1992 and 2017 cannot be used as templates for consistent success at tournaments. Good vibes and qudrat ka nizam cannot substitute for planning and preparation.

Although we cannot replicate England's post-2015 brand of aggressive cricket due to our lack of talent - we can learn from how Morgan ruthlessly purged players who didn't fit his vision and backed those who did. There were no panics after bilateral setbacks - just a relentless singular focus on 2019.

We can learn from how Australia wrap their premier pacers in cotton wool during meaningless bilaterals and prime them for the big events.

In contrast, what's our vision for 2027 ? Has there been any research into venues, identification of players most likely to succeed in SA conditions, rotation policies etc ?

Forget 2027, where's the planning for the South Africa tour THIS winter ? South Africa A recently hosted West Indies A. Why wasn't our A team out there ? Again it goes back to instability at the top, constant personnel changes, and why most likely we'll be again relying on miracles and duas at these tournaments hoping for another 1992 or 2017.

A very good post. Agreed 100%
There's just no planning, heck we don't even know how many chairmen, captains and coaches will be changed till then

Even the success in 2017 was a fluke.

I wouldn't call it a fluke. It was a combination of a good coach, young and hungry playery and a good captain. To beat South Aftrica, England and India is solid work for a WC campaign. But to completely obliterate India in front of a majority Indian crowd in Oval in a final is creme de la creme.

I don’t see 1992 as a miracle, Pak were consistently good and one of the best teams in the world. CT 17 was an underdog triumph if you factor in that we almost failed to qualify! but lets be real, Pakistan do amazingly well in England with Shaz619 in the stands losing his sh!t like the nature boy and rallying the boys, they enjoy the support more than anywhere else, England brings out the beast in the players, I don’t like scousers but I wont be afraid to say it’s similar to the atmosphere created at Anfield and the effect it has on the players, to dig in places they haven’t been before.

But I take your overall point, vision for 2027:

- Everybody get in line so this Naqvi bloke can do his version of the illuminati handshake
- If you refuse to stay in your lane, prepare to be purged

Ah! that’s all that was needed, should give the players a huge boost ahead of the ICC itenary!

During the nadir Ali podcast, Every ex cricketer always had an ego be it umar akmal, Salman butt, even malik etc.

But not sarfraz, he had the most wholesome podcast.

A true gem, who loved his nation, loved his country, played for his country, and I hate it when people mock him to support losers like misbah and Babar.

All the whole sarfraz use to yell at his team, Bhai I've seen Babar yell at his team more then sarfraz, Sarfraz may have shouted here and their but it was always due to a reason. When hasan Ali celebrated like a degenerate, Sarfraz came and acolded him and told him to shut up and get back to bowling, as we still have a game to finish.

^^ How is that being a bad captain? He's bringing tameez into the dugout?

Babar just scolds and starts crying when theirs a pressure situation, his crying on media is embrassing and he did it in PSL again?

I'm sorry Babar cults, but Sarfraz vs Babar as a captain will NEVER BE comparable. You had your once chance in 2022 wc to fluke it and bring forth more hypocritical arguments but you botched that too.

2017 involved both luck and bowlers clicking at the right time. I don't think Pakistan can win the next champions trophy until this team learns to back each other up as a unit rather than trolling them on social media.

2017 involved both luck and bowlers clicking at the right time. I don't think Pakistan can win the next champions trophy until this team learns to back each other up as a unit rather than trolling them on social media.
We were more lucky in 1992 then in CT. In 1992 we lost 4 games in a row and were gone against England. Kudrat ki nizam struck.

We were also lucky in 2022 that SA vs Zimbabwe game got rained off cause sa had won that match. Otherwise sa and India would be in semi's.

2017 is ironically our least luckiest tournament. The wins were genuine, but sa and Sri Lanka game was them bothcing and drs helping us alot.

Yes, especially this game. Sarfu's catches were dropped, dollies those catches were, and he ended up chasing that score.
1992 and 2017 had luck elements but you can see why we won.

Fakhar was in the form of his life, azhar is better then imam, shehzad and is a proper test class bat, and no amount of stats will change that viewpoint.

Hafeez, Malik and imad were allrounders who's hitting complimented bavar's anchoring Well.

Lastly junaid, Amir and hasan were all good, Shadab as well.

2023 team sucked in comparison. Abdullah, Imam, Babar, Rizwan, Saud, Chacha, Shadab, Nawaz have to be the worst combo I've ever seen.

People were delusional to think 1980 era batting mixed with run machines would allow us to have a respectable tournament.

2024 team is stronger though, assuming Bobby sucks it up and let's imad and Amir play, these 2 are not worse them nawaz and Haris Rauf lol.

2024 team is stronger though, assuming Bobby sucks it up and let's imad and Amir play, these 2 are not worse them nawaz and Haris Rauf lol.
LOL. I will never take Haris and Nawaz in my team for this tournament based on their current form. Imad and amir deserve a chance but if they end up botching their chance by under-performing, we have nothing left but to bring mediocre players back.

LOL. I will never take Haris and Nawaz in my team for this tournament based on their current form. Imad and amir deserve a chance but if they end up botching their chance by under-performing, we have nothing left but to bring mediocre players back.
Amir and imad aren't miracle workers.

We aren't winning with babar, rizwan, chacha, fakhar out of position, Undercooked saim, run machine shaheen and shadab in the squad.

2027 should actually be a great tournament for PAK.

We all know that low bounce Asian wickets are terrible for Pakistani fast bowlers and that PAK batsmen like Fakhar and Babar bat better on fast and bouncy SENA pitches.

Indian pitches are the opposite and that's why Pakistan flopped.

South African venues will be the best for PAK batters and the quartet of fast bowlers you develop by then.

Not sure about winning but should be strong favourites for the talents at their disposal.

That's the problem with pak team and fans. Clinging on to a win from 2017. Thats 7 long years damn! I don't see pak winning any icc event atleast for the next 10 plus years. Other teams are way ahead and also the icc events mske it difficult now to just win 2 or 3 games to win the tournament. You have to be more consistent in the group stage and then qualify for sf. Plus they are very much a slow defensive side now.

I believe 2021 t20wc and 2022 t20wc will be the best results in a while for pak. Dont see them in going to the sf in any icc event in a while. The captaincy fiasco, pcb management changes , lack of a chance ruthless attitude are deterrents for any future icc events.

2027 should actually be a great tournament for PAK.

We all know that low bounce Asian wickets are terrible for Pakistani fast bowlers and that PAK batsmen like Fakhar and Babar bat better on fast and bouncy SENA pitches.

Indian pitches are the opposite and that's why Pakistan flopped.

South African venues will be the best for PAK batters and the quartet of fast bowlers you develop by then.

Not sure about winning but should be strong favourites for the talents at their disposal.
Fakhar probs won't be around in 2027, he's getting old

Back