Pakistan's gain or loss? Jay Shah elected unopposed as Independent Chair of ICC

How will Jay Shah's chairmanship of the ICC play out for Pakistan?

• Total voters
Not a terrible theory but only ICC events matter in the Star deal with ICC.

Anyway they just got acquired by Reliance which now consolidated all India cricket - IPL, Bilateral and ICC with Reliance. Not sure what the impact will be but they could very well ask the ICC to lump it. They have enough other cricket to show even if they lose the ICC rights and there's really no one else with the financial heft to compete with them. Maybe if someone like Apple or Amazon step up?
This makes Reliance in a great position. They will now have all IPL, streaming and TV, and Indian team home internationals and ICC events.

Though Amazon has shown some interest in the past, they have never actually bid on anything. I think. Not sure if Apple has ever show interest. I think India needs Amazon and perhaps one other streaming service to seriously bid, so there is competition. Without competition, things get stagnant.

During a discussion on a YouTube channel, Rashid Latif said:

"I think this decision has been made for the sake of good cricket relations between India and Pakistan. That's my opinion; I may be wrong."

"So far, Jay Shah has proven to be beneficial for cricket, whether it's the BCCI or world cricket. If I were to criticize him, that's a separate topic, but here I'm speaking from a cricketing perspective."

"The PCB hasn't opposed Shah's appointment for a reason. I believe there's an understanding. If India's team comes [to Pakistan for ICC Champions Trophy 2025] , it will be due to Jay Shah's efforts, along with support from their government."

"Approval has already been halfway granted. India is coming to Pakistan."
does it even matter what PCB thinks or votes? everyone else was onboard, instead of unopposed he would have won by 9 to 1 or something like that..

regarding Pakistan, i don't think that anything related to PCB is even makes his top 10 priority list. If he deals with PCB it is for ICC Championship Trophy and nothing for Pak cricket.

This is a ridiculous idea. Throwing good money after an irreparable situation. Will not make any difference. Fans have to show up. They will not.
Tokenism by Jay Shah. Test cricket is beyond saving. Just delaying the inevitable.

This makes Reliance in a great position. They will now have all IPL, streaming and TV, and Indian team home internationals and ICC events.

Though Amazon has shown some interest in the past, they have never actually bid on anything. I think. Not sure if Apple has ever show interest. I think India needs Amazon and perhaps one other streaming service to seriously bid, so there is competition. Without competition, things get stagnant.
I think Amazon bid for some packages on IPL this time. They just didn't anticipate the scale it was going to and got outbid.

But it is not. The last one was a loss making venture. That too a T20 version. Not sure how ICC managed to do that. They must have tried very hard!

The last was not a loss making venture, this was fake news spread by a financially illiterate PTI journalist who couldn't understand that the tournament being given a $20mn cash advance didn't mean the same thing as making a $20mn loss.

Jay Shah is going to leverage the $3 billion Star deal to convince the ICC to shift the entire CT out of Pakistan ie if you want the entire amount from Star then the CT needs to be taken out of Pakistan.

All the countries will vote in favour of Jay Shah and Pakistan will be left stranded at the last minute.

Jay Shah is going to leverage the $3 billion Star deal to convince the ICC to shift the entire CT out of Pakistan ie if you want the entire amount from Star then the CT needs to be taken out of Pakistan.

All the countries will vote in favour of Jay Shah and Pakistan will be left stranded at the last minute.
I believe he would already have started the back channel talks for a solution. PCB is broken, divided and Pakistan as a country is a mess. India will take full advantage of this situation to pull the tournament out.

In addition:

1. Pakistan will probably vote in favour too.
2. Pakistan will play the CT, wherever it is held. Even India.
3. Pakistan will turn up to the customary Indo-Pak game, possibly hosted on the first Sunday of the tournament.
4. Pakistan will likely get beaten.
5. Pakistan will be given a hint that an Indo-Pak series is on the horizon so #1 happens in the first place.

This script is getting old. Pakistan can turn the entire cricket world topsy turvy by stopping this annual chain of events, but no.

Younis Khan speaking during an interview:

“The cricket should uplift with the appointment of Jay Shah as the ICC chief.”

“Jay Shah needs to show the sportsman spirit, as with the good initiatives of the ICC chief, India can come to Pakistan to play cricket. In the same way, Pakistan can visit India.”

An Indian (that too a BJP one) being the head of ICC is never a good news for Pakistan. LOL.

I expect ICC to become more biased in favor of India.

Forget what political party his affiliations are, its his nationality that is the moot point and the posts above would be the same irrespective of someone else with supposedly better administrative/acumen/foresight/care for the game - Why beat about the bush - just called out the spade :)

Jay Shah has a great business mind. Sorry for the stereotype and I mean it in a good way here but typical Gujju bhai 👍

He is not hear to cater to Pak cricket.

He will do what is best for business + what’s best for India- absolutely 0 doubts about this.

In addition:

1. Pakistan will probably vote in favour too.
2. Pakistan will play the CT, wherever it is held. Even India.
3. Pakistan will turn up to the customary Indo-Pak game, possibly hosted on the first Sunday of the tournament.
4. Pakistan will likely get beaten.
5. Pakistan will be given a hint that an Indo-Pak series is on the horizon so #1 happens in the first place.

This script is getting old. Pakistan can turn the entire cricket world topsy turvy by stopping this annual chain of events, but no.
Spot on...spineless board is PCB...beggars.

I don't understand how Jay Shah became a big name in cricket. He doesn't have a cricket background, but he's been given important jobs like Secretary of BCCI, Chairman of ACC, and now Chairman of ICC. I don't think he's qualified for these roles.

He doesn't seem to know much about cricket, and when he talks, he doesn't sound professional. I don't think he has a clear plan for cricket's future.

This is a ridiculous idea. Throwing good money after an irreparable situation. Will not make any difference. Fans have to show up. They will not.

Fans will show up depending on the quality of Cricket

According to the PCB there was no question of opposing Jay Shahs candidacy, there was no alternative candidate and there was no point given that he was going to receive 99% of the votes.

Michael Vaughan said on a YouTube channel:

“Yeah, that’s a big appointment. I mean, I don’t have his number, but I’m sure someone can send me his email. He’s a mover and shaker; he gets things done. So, I hope that he will have an eye to making sure that Test cricket can be a product that we all love for a lot longer than obviously the next few years, and to do that, I just think we need more and more competitive series."

"We need it spoken about and marketed a lot more than we see at the minute. I don’t want it to become an afterthought, and I feel at the minute it’s like an afterthought. Oh, it’s just a Test cricket. He will carry on; let's just leave it. If you are just leaving anything these days, things overtake it—the franchise leagues and white-ball cricket. In terms of administrators again, they will deny and publicly say Test cricket is pinnacle and blah blah. They are doing nothing about it.”

BCCI AGM on September 29 at Bengaluru; New NCA to be inaugurated​

The BCCI's 93rd Annual General Body Meeting (AGM) will take place here on September 29, but it is unlikely that the election of the new board secretary will take place at the high-profile summit.

However, the AGM will coincide with the inauguration of the state-of-the-art National Cricket Academy (NCA) centre in the outskirts as all the board members will be present in the city.

Currently, the NCA functions at the M Chinnaswamy stadium premises since its inception over two decades back.

While the new BCCI secretary will not be elected at the AGM, the date for the Special General Meeting (SGM) for that purpose could be fixed here.

The appointment of a new secretary was made mandatory after the incumbent Jay Shah was elected unanimously as the ICC Chairman.

However, Shah will not abdicate his present role as the BCCI secretary at the AGM because he has to assume the new office only from December 1.

The other important point in the meeting's 18-point agenda, which has been sent to all the state associations, is the appointment of BCCI's representative to the ICC meetings, as Shah will no longer be available for that role.

The name of current BCCI president Roger Binny might be discussed for the board's representative to the ICC, or it could fall on the incoming secretary.

But at 69, Binny does not have age on his side with 70 being the upper ceiling to be in administration.

Other than those two pressing matters, the AGM will also see the induction of two representatives of the general body in the IPL Governing Council and the induction of one representative from the Indian Cricketers' Association (ICA) in the IPL Governing Council.

The AGM will also include some regular board activities such as ratification of the annual budget for 2024-25 and the appointment of Ombudsman and Ethics Officer.

The meeting will appoint a Cricket Committee and Standing Committee as per the BCCI Constitution, along with the formation of a new Umpires Committee under Rule 27.

The AGM will also consider the 'Report of the Internal Committee of BCCI formed under Prevention of Sexual Harassment Policy', besides approving rules formed by the Apex Council pertaining to domestic cricket.

"There are no concerns": PCB chief Naqvi on Jay Shah becoming ICC chairman

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Mohsin Naqvi stated that there are no concerns about BCCI secretary Jay Shah becoming the International Cricket Council chairman.

At the end of the last month, Jay Shah was elected unopposed as the ICC Chairman. Shah was the sole nominee for the chairmanship after current chair Greg Barclay decided not to seek a third term.

Naqvi opened up about Shah becoming the ICC chairman and the next Asian Cricket Council meeting.

"We are in touch with Jay Shah; there are no concerns about his becoming ICC Chairman. The ACC meeting is on September 8 and 9," Naqvi told reporters, as quoted from Geo News.

Naqvi went on to confirm that he won't be present in the meeting and said, "I will not be able to attend the meeting, and Salman Nasir will attend. The meeting will finalise matters related to the new president."

Shah will assume this prestigious role on December 1, 2024. He is the youngest person to lead the ICC. He also joins the likes of Jagmohan Dalmiya, Sharad Pawar, N Srinivasan, and Shashank Manohar as Indians who have led the ICC in the past.

Pakistan will play host to next year's ICC Champions Trophy. Karachi National Stadium, Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium, and the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium are under renovation work for the marquee event.

Before the marquee event, Pakistan is struggling to find the form and produce positive results. In Jason Gillespie's first assignment as Test head coach of Pakistan, the Shan Masood-led team hit rock bottom after enduring a whitewash against Bangladesh on their home soil.

Following the defeat, Pakistan dropped to eighth position in the ICC Test rankings, their lowest ranking in the format since 1965, barring the period where they did not have a place in the rankings due to an insufficient number of matches.

SOURCE: https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ah-becoming-icc-chairman-101725736412930.html

Jay Shah will follow the agenda of BJP Government. If Champions Trophy is taken out of Pakistan, that will signal clear intentions of what we wants to do with Pakistan Cricket. Show some mercy to them or take them for cleaners.

Pakistan might not gain anything during Jay Shah's term but the only thing that Pakistan can lose though is Champions trophy atm.

Back