Celebrating the talent of Kagiso Rabada

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
721809.html

Another promising talent in this U19 WC. I was watching him bowling against Australia in this semi final and noticed him touching 140k multiple times in different overs. Destroyed Australia alone in semi final by taking 6 wickets for 25 runs.

4 matches in this U19 WC:

6/25
2/32
2/47
3/14

He is currently second highest wicket taker in this U19 WC after taking a total of 13 wickets in 4 matches of this U19 WC with an average of 9 and economy less thn 3.3

r3h4.png

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23u19cwc&src=hash">#u19cwc</a> Kagiso Rabada <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23futurestars&src=hash">#futurestars</a> for sure - remember the name!!!!</p>— Jonty Rhodes (@JontyRhodes8) <a href="https://twitter.com/JontyRhodes8/statuses/438667116628045824">February 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congrats South Africa in Rabada you have unearthed another outstanding Quick bowler... <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23u19cwc&src=hash">#u19cwc</a></p>— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/statuses/438682474676502529">February 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rabada wraps it up with his 6th - seriously impressive young quick. SA u19's will meet Pakistan u19's in the final on Saturday!</p>— mark butcher (@markbutcher72) <a href="https://twitter.com/markbutcher72/statuses/438680776058875904">February 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

Last edited:
He has potential. Yaseen Valli seems to be a good all-rounder too.

our kids need to make a plan against him . he is seriously quick. Bowling at 142ish here.

6/25. Pak need to watch out for him!! don't feel too confident now after this performance!! just got this feeling

Damn.... There is a green storm arriving at the final... And his name is KAGISO RABADA....

This boy bowls quick

Destroyed Australian batting line in semi final. So Pak U19 should be careful!

Quickest bowler in the tournament, Pakistan have to be careful against him

Always amuses me when people say that we'll struggle once Steyn or whoever retires. Since readmission we've consistently been in the top 3 because our grassroots structure facilitates the production of talent. When Donald retired we found Steyn, when Kirsten retired we found Smith, when Pollock retired we found Philander, and so it will go on :)

Always amuses me when people say that we'll struggle once Steyn or whoever retires. Since readmission we've consistently been in the top 3 because our grassroots structure facilitates the production of talent. When Donald retired we found Steyn, when Kirsten retired we found Smith, when Pollock retired we found Philander, and so it will go on :)

S.A. have been No. 2 since readmission, 2nd to only Aussies if you ask me, and SA pace bowling talent is extremely superb, they just keep on producing one great bowler after the other...

TBH before this guy came along i was amongst those that were saying once Steyn retires its game over for SA but this guy can really be destructive. 142 at this age. he will be a 150 swinger. :wasim :waqar

Now if SA can unearth a kallis and an AB they will be right back on track.

This guy is great... But i reckon he can only last with that action for maximum 5 years... If he develops just one shoulder injury, he will never be the same... Great talent none the less...

I remember hazlewood doing us in the last final pak reached and finally he seems to be coming onto the aussie seen.... This kagiso chap is going to arrive at the big scene much sooner i would think.

When asked at the post match interview about if it was the fastest he has bowled... He said he can crank it up a bit more but depends on conditions. At home (SA) he has probably hit 90+ MPH consistently... If he can mature and build his speed up while keeping control.... This guy will be a BEAST... In terms of pure pace

Loved the fact that he said 'Well done Australia' at the end of conference out of nowhere.. This guy got a good head

Woah 140+ at that age!! Man with a bit of guidance this guy could be a beast with lethal pace and swing!.

Pakistan should not attack him just survive his overs play smart and win the World cup :)

Kagiso Rabada (South Africa U19 Pacer)

Australia played some bad shots. Pakistan don't need to worry about him.

Very Good prospect.

His action is a bit awkward though, he may not to smooth it out a bit to avoid any injury.

Looking forward to watch this kid bowling again tomorrow!

Had a long week at work. Woke up a 5am this morning and first thing I watched was highlights of SA vs Aus u19. This kid looks promising. Today's final should be good. May the best team win.

he is ferociously quick, clearly a class apart in terms of pace from the rest of the talent on show...will be a massive challenge for the Pak openers.

Very impressed with him.

Looks a real find for the South Africans.

Bowls at a good pace, bangs it in and has a good Yorker also.

Very similar approach to Kemar Roach as he runs in and then let's it rip! Great pace!

T20I debut today against Australia. Going expensive so far 27 runs in 3 overs and no wicket.

The next bowling sensation? Went from 6 for 25 in the Under-19 World Cup semi-final to 9 for 33 in a first-class innings to 6 for 16 on ODI debut.

Looks like a star. South Africa's fast bowling legacy continues.

Not to mention a hat trick...Got Tamim, Das and Mahmudullah on consecutive deliveries. I know its only Bangladesh, but he looks very promising. He is only 20 years old and if he stays away from injury, he could have a very good career.

Not to mention a hat trick...Got Tamim, Das and Mahmudullah on consecutive deliveries. I know its only Bangladesh, but he looks very promising. He is only 20 years old and if he stays away from injury, he could have a very good career.

Yeah it's only Bangladesh. The same Bangladesh against which your phasht bowlers and spinners managed to pick up only 11 wickets in the entire series. Rabada alone has got 8 already.

He is a good talent but batsmen took him on today and he struggled when batsmen showed aggression. But he has all the ingredients to be a world-class fast bowler.

Yeah it's only Bangladesh. The same Bangladesh against which your phasht bowlers and spinners managed to pick up only 11 wickets in the entire series. Rabada alone has got 8 already.

He is a good talent but batsmen took him on today and he struggled when batsmen showed aggression. But he has all the ingredients to be a world-class fast bowler.
Burn

Very impressive start to his ODI career so far, good addition to the attack ahead of the overrated trundler Philander.

Good control and a good head; seems like the type of bowler who can give our batsmen plenty of sleepless nights when we eventually face him somewhere down the line. Has destroyed us at the U-19 level already.

Certainly SA's spearhead in a post Steyn world.

This guy is mighty impressive, I would play him ahead of Vernon in test, that could be difference between wining and loosing test series.

He has potential to be a complete fast bowler; pace, reverse swing, Yorkers, bumpers, swing SA should use him rather then useless Vernon of Sean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another top-class performance from Rabada. So exciting for world cricket to have two young fast-bowlers of the calibre of Mustafizur and Rabada.

This guy is mighty impressive, I would play him ahead of Vernon in test, that could be difference between wining and loosing test series.

He has potential to be a complete fast bowler; pace, reverse swing, Yorkers, bumpers, swing SA should use him rather then useless Vernon of Sean.

I agree with this. He will only get better by playing Test cricket, and Steyn, Morkel and Philander are all 30+ and will retire in quick succession - it is important that SA blood him in now rather than throwing him into the deep end after the retirement of Steyn etc.

The Trundler should make way for him. Morkel is an average Test bowler himself but he can be dangerous at times. The Trundler's bubble burst long ago and replacing him with Rabada will not disturb the racial quota either.

I agree with this. He will only get better by playing Test cricket, and Steyn, Morkel and Philander are all 30+ and will retire in quick succession - it is important that SA blood him in now rather than throwing him into the deep end after the retirement of Steyn etc.

The Trundler should make way for him. Morkel is an average Test bowler himself but he can be dangerous at times. The Trundler's bubble burst long ago and replacing him with Rabada will not disturb the racial quota either.

Trundler is still a very good bowler with a <25 average. He is a pretty handy batsman too so won't be going anywhere. Rabada has a way to go before he becomes Test level, can't fast track him based on what he's doing in the LOI games. You need a consistent line and length for test cricket which even Starc is learning. He is by all accounts better than Steyn was at his age though.

Kagiso Rabada (South Africa U19 Pacer)

That is true, SA already missed the trick by not planning him for WC. Guys like AB and Amla should have seen him. Why they did not planned him for WC?

Pakistan cricket was built around throwing youngsters in the pond. It's like giving freedom to young entrepreneurs in valley. They bring something mature adults cannot. Guys like Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi were all teenagers when thrown against the very best.

SA should start doing that, this might also help them get ride of choking which is hallmark of there dressing room. No matter how talented you are, the all get infected sooner or later. Younger guys can help change that culture too.

Philander in south Africa , England and New Zealand is gold. Whereas not much effective elsewhere. Also very handy with the bat.

Abit like Hafeez in a way. On certain wickets hafeez is masterclass and terrible on other surfaces.

Very impressive start to his ODI career so far, good addition to the attack ahead of the overrated trundler Philander.

Good control and a good head; seems like the type of bowler who can give our batsmen plenty of sleepless nights when we eventually face him somewhere down the line. Has destroyed us at the U-19 level already.

Certainly SA's spearhead in a post Steyn world.

Mamoon ! Steyn was successor of Donald and Dane Paterson right arm fast will be successor of Dale Steyn and he is a finished article waiting for a call up very soon.

Philander was successor of Pollock. South Africa didn't get Ntini's successor earlier but now they have got one in the form of Rabada.

Merchant De Lange and Viljoen is lurking around aswell.

South Africa and Australia have lots of pace bowling talent coming up and the systems produce successors in no time.

Trundler would still be the best bowler for the trudler's XI that is Indian XI

Mamoon ! Steyn was successor of Donald and Dane Paterson right arm fast will be successor of Dale Steyn and he is a finished article waiting for a call up very soon.

Philander was successor of Pollock. South Africa didn't get Ntini's successor earlier but now they have got one in the form of Rabada.

South Africa and Australia have lots of pace bowling talent coming up and the systems produce successors in no time.

Pollock was a better bowler and batsman than Philander ever will be. I agree that SA and AUS have the best pace bowling talent.

Trundler is still a very good bowler with a <25 average. He is a pretty handy batsman too so won't be going anywhere. Rabada has a way to go before he becomes Test level, can't fast track him based on what he's doing in the LOI games. You need a consistent line and length for test cricket which even Starc is learning. He is by all accounts better than Steyn was at his age though.

My point is that Rabada needs to be integrated into the Test team slowly and gradually before bowlers like Steyn and Morkel bow out. The Trundler's average has been only been going one way though - he was average 18-19 for a long period of time where as in truth he is a 27-28 averaging bowler at best. He should be rotated with Rabada who will eventually prove to be a superior fast bowler.

He's quick, has great control over line and length, economical, takes wickets and he doesn't choke - comfortably better than any Pakistani seamer in ODIs.

I haven't seen him swing the ball, but that's something that can be learnt with practise - he's SA next strike bowler after Donald and Steyn.

My point is that Rabada needs to be integrated into the Test team slowly and gradually before bowlers like Steyn and Morkel bow out. The Trundler's average has been only been going one way though - he was average 18-19 for a long period of time where as in truth he is a 27-28 averaging bowler at best. He should be rotated with Rabada who will eventually prove to be a superior fast bowler.

I don't think we can read any more into his last 2 years than we can into his first two, you can say that the average he's had in recent times is a correction of what once flattered him. In general I think he will still continue to average under 25 for a while yet as he is a real threat on green tops.

This kid is seriously good. Imagine if South Africa took him to the World Cup ahead of Philander? Would have played the semi final, and in all likelihood would not have gotten tonked around the way Philander did.

He touched 151kph in his spell today if speedgun was accurate and also got 2 important wickets already

Saw a bit of him today and he looks like a very good prospect.

Would love to see him against Eng in the upcoming Test series.

Morkel isn't that great in Tests, hence I would play him ahead of Morkel.

Very impressed with this kid.

Philanderers time is coming to an end and the fact that Rabada is black dents Philanders chances more

There's another guy you forgot about, Junior Dala. He also has gas to burn.

Chuck him into the Tests, he needs to play Test cricket for full development. They should drop Philander, he's not going to be any good in India.

This kid is seriously good. Reminds me of when Aamir first came to the scene.

he is that once in a generation talent we keep talking about.

Already there's talk of IPL which is a concern.
I would rather he develop his 1st class skills first. Besides how will you keep the kid motivated if he's a millionaire barely in his 20's.
This is where CSA has to be strong, sit down with the kid and lay down the vision they have for him, i.e to succeed Steyn which is not going to be easy.
To do that he needs as much exposure as possible in first class structures, that includes a stint in county cricket.
Work on his swing bowling, rather than just speed and see where that takes him. English conditions are ideal IMO for harnessing his skills.

South Africa has extreme pedigree in producing world class fast bowlers. OZ/Pak/SA are leading pace battery producers.

One of my all time fave bowlers.

107413.jpg

What a bowler he is turning out to be.He was cold in his International debut but now he seems to have adjusted in International Cricket.

Brightness of phone was so low that I thought the picture in the OP was just the South African jersey by itself and wasn't sure why OP would post that :))

But yeah this kid can be top tier, was a nightmare in the U19 world cup. Think he got the better of our lads in the final iirc.

We had this guy running through lineups in the U19 world cup. You know a talent when you see it, and SA swiftly drafted him in.

On the other hand, we had our Zia ul Haqs trundling their rubbish in the cup, no movement either and I heard they're doing A tours.

Such a massive gulf in quality of bowlers. I hope we unearth better options and don't rely on him.

Back