Celebrating the talent of Kagiso Rabada

We had this guy running through lineups in the U19 world cup. You know a talent when you see it, and SA swiftly drafted him in.

On the other hand, we had our Zia ul Haqs trundling their rubbish in the cup, no movement either and I heard they're doing A tours.

Such a massive gulf in quality of bowlers. I hope we unearth better options and don't rely on him.

Zia Ul Haq is still a better bowler than you though.

We had this guy running through lineups in the U19 world cup. You know a talent when you see it, and SA swiftly drafted him in.

On the other hand, we had our Zia ul Haqs trundling their rubbish in the cup, no movement either and I heard they're doing A tours.

Such a massive gulf in quality of bowlers. I hope we unearth better options and don't rely on him.

Seen Majid Ali bowl?

Well what do you know. I can hold the bat better than you are in your DP! :))) :)))

So, those who can bowl better than me should play for Pak? :D

That's not me because it's a painting perhaps.Anyways the point was I don't like the hyperbole exhibited here on PP even if Zia is a trundler still he took the most wickets in List A matches against SRL A contrast to this our A team when last played against UAE Babar Azam and Sami Aslam both failed will you say that about them too that they are failures of course not because they are world class already by PP standards.

He looks extra ugly when he sledge's. People will start finding him annoying over time like they do with Chris Gayle.

Steyn is hardly Mr handsome when his veins are popping up everywhere and he looks like a lunatic.

He looks extra ugly when he sledge's. People will start finding him annoying over time like they do with Chris Gayle.
So when he doesnt sledge, he looks 'normal' ugly? I really don't care about the looks of people.

Steyn is hardly Mr handsome when his veins are popping up everywhere and he looks like a lunatic.

So when he doesnt sledge, he looks 'normal' ugly? I really don't care about the looks of people.

Steyn looks like a drug addict but his face isn't irritating as Rabada's

. I don't think he is ugly, his face looks irritating when he is sledging and that makes him look extra ugly. So he goes from not ugly to extra ugly leaping the basic ugly part of the spectrum.

5-fers in consecutive Tests, to back up his exceptional ODI performances so far. This kid is a special talent.

Saw a bit of him today and he looks like a very good prospect.

Would love to see him against Eng in the upcoming Test series.

Morkel isn't that great in Tests, hence I would play him ahead of Morkel.

Glad he got the opportunity to represent against Eng.

Liked him from the first time I saw him and I have to say, he has lived up to expectations.

This guy is only 20. In three years time, he'll be seriously quick. SA should handle him very carefully just like they handled Steyn . Next ATG pacer IMO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">7 for 112 from 29 overs for Kagiso Rabada. Only 20 years old. What a fantastic bowler he is going to be for South Africa <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAvENG?src=hash">#SAvENG</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/691269054817046529">January 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Love watching him bowl. Holding is right though. They are over bowling him. Will be amazing in ODis too

Totally own English Batsmen today...I hope he wouldn't be wasted by proteas.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Love watching him bowl. Holding is right though. They are over bowling him. Will be amazing in ODis too

Well isn't Abbott unfit or something? All the bowlers have to lift a little when the attack is a man down. I'm sure it won't be a regular occurrence to see him bowling 1/3rd of the overs, especially when Steyn returns.

Rabada, Hazelwood, Marsh - all 3 owned us in U-19 WCs and made it big.

We don't get owned by small players; only world-class ones. :kakmal

He's 20 and 'one trick pony' is Steyn. What do Pakistani bowlers have to do with my comment?

I won't agree with that really. I have seen him bowl some mean inswingers to the RHB even in the series against BD last year

I won't agree with that really. I have seen him bowl some mean inswingers to the RHB even in the series against BD last year

It's not necessary to bowl with certain type in order to be successful

Bowlers job is to take wickets and for batsmen it's to score runs. How one does it is irrelevant

From CSA

Rabada still hungry to learn more

Sunday, 24 January 2016

Castle Lager Proteas fast bowler, Kagiso Rabada, says he still has a lot of learning to do on the international stage despite the accolades he has accumulated in the current Sunfoil Test series against England. He is the first bowler to take two six-wicket hauls in international cricket before the age of 21 (he took 6/16 in his ODI debut) but remains grounded and humble with his current rise and stardom.

“People kept telling me that Test cricket is the real deal and I think I have learnt that,” Rabada said at SuperSport Park after bad light stopped play on Sunday. “There is very little margin for error, you have good players who have been playing for a long time, they latch onto anything that is remotely off a good area. You have to bowl well for periods of time, not just two overs,” he added. “There are a whole lot of things, the crowds, many things, I have a lot to learn.”

Unlike most youngsters who find their feet at first-class level, Rabada is learning on the hardest stage possible. He has shown that he is more than capable to withstand the pressures that come with International cricket even before his 21st birthday. Another endearing quality is that he seems to be his biggest critic, as he gave warm praise to team mates Morne Morkel and Kyle Abbott, whom he felt ‘deserved’ the seven wickets.

“The plan this morning was just to stick to the basics,” he said. “We wanted to try and bowl as many balls as possible in the right areas. I thought that once I got Joe Root out it was a big relief. The day before I was a bit all over the place, Alastair Cook kept cutting and pulling me, I was a bit too short and this morning we tried to rectify it and we got our rewards as a bowling unit.

“I don’t think I have arrived yet, there is still lots of work to be done,” he admitted. “It felt good taking these seven wickets but I thought Kyle and Morne bowled so well that they could have deserved the seven wickets more than I did, if I’m being honest. I bowled okay in spells but they just kept coming, I happy that I got the wickets but still feel I bowled better at the Wanderers.”

Rabada says the pitch will get more difficult to bat on as the match progresses and building on the lead remains the first priority.

“We are in a good position now, we have a strong lead,” he said. “The wicket is deteriorating, it’s not going to be easy batting last on this wicket. We need to keep building on this lead and take it deep.”

Last edited:
Hope he doesn't turn out to be another Kagiso Kikashti like our super multi extremely ******** ballermen. Best of luck, bhai.

RABADA ON THE BRINK OF A NOTABLE DOUBLE

Monday, 25 January 2016

HASHIM AMLA emulated the performance of Neil McKenzie at Chennai in 2008 by scoring a century and a 90 in the same Test match before Kagiso Rabada moved on to the brink of a notable double on the fourth day of the final Sunfoil Test match at SuperSport Park on Monday.

Amla (96 off 199 balls, 11 fours) didn’t just anchor the South African second innings after Stephen Cook and AB de Villiers had been dismissed in quick succession but batted through the pain barrier as he took blows on both hands.

The value of his performance in this match can be seen in the fact that he has been involved in the only two century partnerships – 202 with Cook in the first innings and 117 with Temba Bavuma in the second innings.

Bavuma finished unbeaten on 78 (154 balls, 9 fours and a six) to take his average for the series to 49.5.

He enabled the Castle Lager Proteas to declare on 248/5 and set England an improbable 382 for victory on a pitch of variable bounce and increasing turn.

By the close they were in serious trouble at 52/3 and it could have been worse as Joe Root survived a stumping chance to Quinton de Kock off the bowling of Dane Piedt.

Rabada took two of the three wickets to fall and thus has nine in the match. One more will give him his first ten-fer haul and will also make him the leading wicket-taker in the series as he is currently level on 18 with Stuart Broad and has played one match less.

If there have been major positives for the Proteas in spite of the disappointment of the series defeat it has been the emergence of Rabada and Bavuma as international cricketers of quality.

Another recent positive is that they have made almost 700 runs over their two innings in this match without AB de Villiers contributing anything. It suggests that there is a lot more stability in the top order than there has been in recent times and that there is no longer a reliance on one or two batsmen.

Single-handedly destroying England. I don't think I've seen a performance like that since Asif's 11 wickets vs Sri Lanka in Kandy 2006.

Amazing, simply amazing!

22 wickets in 6 innings bowled. Ends the test series with 4 more wickets than a rampaging Broad(18 wickets), having played 1 less match. Well done, young lad!

Looking forward to Steyn/Philander/Rabada bowling in tandem along with Morkel who is a very good support bowler.

Will make for one of the great modern bowling attacks. Steyn surely has 2-3 good years in him.

Brilliant bowler

If Steyn and Philander comeback, i feel Morkel will have to sit out for Rabada incase SA play 3 seamers

What an Attack it could be: Steyn/Philander/Rabada/Morkel

Rabada's stats before this Test :))

7EJR4Nu.jpg

More than doubled his wicket tally in one Test.

7EJR4Nu.jpg

Stats dont always show true picture. This kid looked special even at U19 level. I remember him bowling 145 kph and swinging the ball against Pak u19 in UAE.

Stats dont always show true picture. This kid looked special even at U19 level. I remember him bowling 145 kph and swinging the ball against Pak u19 in UAE.
I know he's a great prospect.

I was surprised to see those numbers, I thought they would have been updated by now.

7EJR4Nu.jpg

He now averages less than 25 in test cricket. I remember even Steyn averaged 40 or 50 in his first 2-3 years of test cricket before turning it around in 2007.

He now averages less than 25 in test cricket. I remember even Steyn averaged 40 or 50 in his first 2-3 years of test cricket before turning it around in 2007.
Think you've misinterpreted what I mean't, this has nothing to do with Rabada being rubbish or anything of that sort. Rather I found it quite funny how he more than doubled his wicket tally within one Test.

Steyn 11/60 vs Pakistan. Johnson Ashes?

Steyn was bowling to a weak lineup, while Johnson was great but it was a one-dimensional spell, he was banging it short on a bouncy pitch. This has been proper skillful bowling.

Steyn was bowling to a weak lineup, while Johnson was great but it was a one-dimensional spell, he was banging it short on a bouncy pitch. This has been proper skillful bowling.

Any team wouldve been destroyed by Steyns bowling in that test. He was swinging it viciously late and at pace. But yes Rabada is indeed a very skillful bowler and looks scary good.

Might end up better than Steyn.

[MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

After first 3 test matches Rabada took total 2 test wickets at an Average of 57 and a SR of 90.

After 4 tests he took 6 test wickets at an average of 55 and a SR of 85.

In his 5th test match he took a fivefer.

In his 6th test match he got two fivefers.

I think he is the youngest South African to take a 10 wicket haul.

I think he is the youngest test pacer to take 13 wickets in a match.

This is a massive turnaround to his test career.

[MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

After first 3 test matches Rabada took total 2 test wickets at an Average of 57 and a SR of 90.

After 4 tests he took 6 test wickets at an average of 55 and a SR of 85.

In his 5th test match he took a fivefer.

In his 6th test match he got two fivefers.

I think he is the youngest South African to take a 10 wicket haul.

I think he is the youngest test pacer to take 13 wickets in a match.

This is a massive turnaround to his test career.

Which is why young players with good promise cannot be written off after 4-5 Tests and 10-15 ODIs. People who label the likes of Ehsan and Amin etc. as proven failures need to take note.

By far the best S.A Bowler in the series against england, always seems to test the batsmen out with the new ball and also very handy with the old ball, a bowler with a lot of skill and promise that S.A can build upon.

KAGISO RABADA took his second five-wicket haul of the match to rout England’s batting on the final morning of the Sunfoil Test series at SuperSport Park on Tuesday morning. The England innings lasted only a further 13.4 overs as they were dismissed for 101 runs with the last seven wickets falling for 49 runs.

It gave the Castle Lager Proteas victory by 280 runs although England take the series 2-1 and thus regain the Basil d’Oliveira Trophy for the first time in 8 years.

Rabada’s second innings return of 6/32 gave him a match return of 13/144 which is the second best in South Africa’s Test history – Makhaya Ntini took 13/132 against the West Indies at Port of Spain in 2005 – and is South Africa’s best return against England, beating Hugh Tayfield’s 13/192 at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium in the 1956/57 season.

Rabada now has three five-wicket hauls and one 10-wicket haul after six Test matches in which he has taken 24 wickets in all. This is exactly the same number of wickets as Dale Steyn took in his first six Test matches.

Even allowing for the fact that the match was going to lack the normal intensity from England with the series already decided, this match can be seen as the start of a new era in South African Test cricket with Stephen Cook, Temba Bavuma, Quinton de Kock and Rabada all making strong statements.

De Kock seems the best option to become a No. 6 all-rounder with Bavuma to slot in at No. 5.

Remarkably in a series dominated by England, the Proteas produced both the leading runs scorer, Hashim Amla, and the leading wicket-taker, Rababa, in the series. Rabada finished with 22 wickets after playing in only 3 matches.

Ben Stokes was named Sunfoil Man of the Series.

Brilliant match for him and him being 20 is a fantastic news for South Africa. This country has always produced wonderfoul fast bowlers.

Amazing performance from the second best young fast bowler in the world. I've been backing him since Day 1. He is ready to take over from Steyn as the spearhead of South Africa's bowling attack.

Amazing performance from the second best young fast bowler in the world. I've been backing him since Day 1. He is ready to take over from Steyn as the spearhead of South Africa's bowling attack.

I concur. Jasprit Bumrah is just a notch ahead of him. But now shame in being second only to Jasprit. Rabada certainly has a bright future.

Second best ? 13 wickets in a test match against England at an age of 20 ? 3 fivefers in consecutive tests ?

2nd best just to fit Mustafiz ur Rehman at number 1 ?

1. Starc
2. Boult
3. Rabada
4. Hazlewood
5. Amir
6. Mustafiz

1. Starc
2. Boult
3. Rabada
4. Hazlewood
5. Amir
6. Mustafiz

Just because they are the same age as you doesn't make Starc and Boult youngster. 26 is entering middle age.

Last edited:
Just because they are the same age as you doesn't make Starc and Boult youngster. 26 is entering middle age.

Well my youngster days are gone, getting married in 2 years.

Anyway, this isn't an age-based comparison but rather, generation-based. All of these bowlers have emerged in the last few years and some of them are emerging now (Rabada, Mustafiz, Hazlewood) and a big part of their careers will overlap with one another, so it is a valid comparison.

Generation-based comparison are much more common anyway. For example, Kohli keeps getting compared to de Villiers and Amla bhai and at times even Sangakkara even though age wise, he's closer to Root, Smith and Williamson etc.

Starc and Boult don't have much mileage on their bodies because they didn't play much in their teens. Barring any serious long-term injuries, they can play for another 7-8 years.

Amir, Boult, Starc, Rabada, Finn and Mustafizhur will make life very difficult for Kane, Root, Kohli, Chandimal and Smith.

Amir, Boult, Starc, Rabada, Finn and Mustafizhur will make life very difficult for Kane, Root, Kohli, Chandimal and Smith.

Chandimal is good player but I don't think he hasn't done much yet to be categorized in that group. He is in between Umar Akmal and that Fantastic Four. Rahane just below them too unless he picks up his game in ODIs, same with Rohit and Test cricket.

Nonetheless, for all the talk of the decline in standards of cricket, the next 10 years could see some fantastic batting and bowling, as well as all-rounders in Stokes and Marsh.

The standard of keeping has dropped though, plenty of decent WK batsmen with potential but no world class keepers.

Chandimal is good player but I don't think he hasn't done much yet to be categorized in that group. He is in between Umar Akmal and that Fantastic Four. Rahane just below them too unless he picks up his game in ODIs, same with Rohit and Test cricket.

Nonetheless, for all the talk of the decline in standards of cricket, the next 10 years could see some fantastic batting and bowling, as well as all-rounders in Stokes and Marsh.

The standard of keeping has dropped though, plenty of decent WK batsmen with potential but no world class keepers.

I felt bad for not mentioning a single Sri Lankan player so I put Chandimal in there. Sarfaraz, Buttler and De Kock will make sure that the keeping standards remain top-notch too. Cricket is definitely in healthy shape with all these young-ish players establishing themselves.

Well my youngster days are gone, getting married in 2 years.

Anyway, this isn't an age-based comparison but rather, generation-based. All of these bowlers have emerged in the last few years and some of them are emerging now (Rabada, Mustafiz, Hazlewood) and a big part of their careers will overlap with one another, so it is a valid comparison.

Generation-based comparison are much more common anyway. For example, Kohli keeps getting compared to de Villiers and Amla bhai and at times even Sangakkara even though age wise, he's closer to Root, Smith and Williamson etc.

Starc and Boult don't have much mileage on their bodies because they didn't play much in their teens. Barring any serious long-term injuries, they can play for another 7-8 years.

A 26 years old doctor is young as he is just entering the profession. A 26 years old fast bowler is already approaching the twilight of his career.

Maybe so but it is still unfair to compare the skill of a 26 years old with that of a 20 years old. Starc and Boult aren't going to get much better than they are right now while some improvement can be expected from a 20 years old.

A 26 years old doctor is young as he is just entering the profession. A 26 years old fast bowler is already approaching the twilight of his career.

Maybe so but it is still unfair to compare the skill of a 26 years old with that of a 20 years old. Starc and Boult aren't going to get much better than they are right now while some improvement can be expected from a 20 years old.

I thought you were taking a dig at me for considering myself a youngster. :moyo

Rabada is a fantastic talent but unless he has someone in the family who can guide him he could easily succumb to the temptations available to all young sportsman and waste all that talent, but as the early career of Ntini showed Black SA sportsman are slightly more vulnerable. The other thing is the scrambled seam, which will not help on slow wickets on the SC.

Kent signs South African fast bowler Kagiso Rabada

Kent have signed South Africa fast bowler Kagiso Rabada for a spell in June and July.

The Johannesburg-born paceman impressed against England on their tour, taking 22 wickets in three Tests and nine wickets in four one-day internationals.

Rabada said: “I will play hard and try my best. I want to learn from the experience - particularly bowling in different conditions. Most of all I am looking forward to enjoying the experience.”

He will join Kent in late June after South Africa’s tri-series against Australia and West Indies in the Caribbean until he is due to report back for international duty against New Zealand in August, subject to Cricket South Africa issuing the requisite ‘No Objection Certificate’.

Rabada is in line to make his NatWest T20 Blast debut against Sussex Sharks at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence on Thursday 30 June and is in contention to face Essex Eagles (away, July 1), Somerset (away, July 7), Gloucestershire (away, July 8), Surrey (Tunbridge Wells, July 15) and Essex Eagles (The Spitfire Ground, July 22).

During his stay, there are County Championship matches against Essex (Chelmsford, July 3-6) and Sussex (Tunbridge Wells, July 17-20) as well as a Royal London One-Day Cup match against Middlesex (Lord's, July 24).

Kent Cricket chairman George M Kennedy said: “We’ve all been hugely impressed by Kagiso in the recent series against England and I’m looking forward to seeing him playing for Kent this summer.

“He follows in the footsteps of a number of South Africans and I hope he enjoys his spell at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence and that Kent will become his county of choice for this very promising young bowler in future years.”

Who said Rabada is over rated ?

Did you see that outswingers Roy got beaten by ?

21 runs of his first over. Very unlucky.

Steyn got hit for 23 runs. Is he overrated too?
Is Rabada over rated ?

Did you miss his tenfer in a test as only a 20 years old kid ? Or you missed his 3 or 4 fivefers in test cricket ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

LOL this is t20 and this is probs one of the best batting wickets of all time. Wet ball etc..

Give them a break.

Back