Changes in the Pakistan Test Squad for the Australia Series

Ellipsism

First Class Captain
Runs
After a horrendous all round display in the 1st test against NZ, would you personally want to see any changes in the squad going into the Australian test series?

Personally I would like to see Rahat go, considering the flat decks in Australia and Rahat's inability to have any sort of command over his bowling.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few QEA trophy performers in the squad.

Your thoughts?

Sharjeel for sami if he can be trusted to last atleast a session, just to shake things up a little and give the batting some much needed aggression rest all are fine, rahat for day nighter and wahab for other two tests, this it the best possible pak team. May be you can argue for asif in for sohail but it's big doubt that this current asif will do better than sk, who has been very good since his comeback to be honest and is much better batsman than asif as well.

Don't think Rahat will play a role in Australia regardless.

Amir
Sohail Khan
Wahab
Yasir

That'll be the attack.

I doubt we'll go into the D/N test without Yasir either.

Replace Younis Khan with Usman Salahuddin.

Only if you're interested in winning, but if the priority is to let Younis Khan play indefinitely until he eventually completes 10000 runs, then don't bother.

I think Pakistan need to pick openers with strong defensive techniques. The new ball is the main danger, if you can get through it being only one or two wickets down the middle order then have the rest of the day to rack up runs. But if you find yourselves three or four down after the first fifteen overs, I don't see the Pakistani lower order having the strength to pull Pakistan to a decent total.

So tuk-tuk's up top, boom-booms through the middle and bottom. I don't think Sharjeel Khan opening the batting is the right answer.

Would bring in Fawad Alam somewhere in there. Anyone who has a solid defense. The batsmen in our team currently are too vulnerable to being bowled or caught back.

I think Pakistan need to pick openers with strong defensive techniques. The new ball is the main danger, if you can get through it being only one or two wickets down the middle order then have the rest of the day to rack up runs. But if you find yourselves three or four down after the first fifteen overs, I don't see the Pakistani lower order having the strength to pull Pakistan to a decent total.

So tuk-tuk's up top, boom-booms through the middle and bottom. I don't think Sharjeel Khan opening the batting is the right answer.

Yes, exactly. However, I think Azhar and Sami Aslam have the best defense we have. They may not be world class when it comes to judging their defensive techniques but they are the best we have. I think no.3 would be the most important position and for a tour to Australia, we need someone like Fawad Alam there who can block and block and block but also get the runs available.

Azhar Ali has the best technique in the country. Sami Aslam is #2 in that regard.

Yes, exactly. However, I think Azhar and Sami Aslam have the best defense we have. They may not be world class when it comes to judging their defensive techniques but they are the best we have. I think no.3 would be the most important position and for a tour to Australia, we need someone like Fawad Alam there who can block and block and block but also get the runs available.
Shafiq is the best in the country when it comes to all-around technique (vs pace and spin). Fawad isn't great vs pace so he's a #4 or #5.

Shafiq is the best in the country when it comes to all-around technique (vs pace and spin). Fawad isn't great vs pace so he's a #4 or #5.

Perhaps.

But since Asad Shafiq has failed to perform consistently at the no.3 spot, I don't think he has it in him to play the new ball. The new ball is an extremely important factor as Pakistan is usually 1 down in not more than 7-8 overs. So, he may be comfortable against pace but upfront, I doubt it.

My point is, however, Fawad Alam needs to be in the XI somewhere. He seems to be the missing link in a good batting line up. Pakistan just had a bad couple of tests and I expect them to bounce back soon but the point is, Fawad Alam in there would be giving us a better chance at not falling like a pack of cards.

Yeah I wouldn't mind replacing Rahat with a middle-order batsman. Just in case somebody gets injured. Alam or Amin b/c they have experience.

Perhaps.

But since Asad Shafiq has failed to perform consistently at the no.3 spot, I don't think he has it in him to play the new ball. The new ball is an extremely important factor as Pakistan is usually 1 down in not more than 7-8 overs. So, he may be comfortable against pace but upfront, I doubt it.

My point is, however, Fawad Alam needs to be in the XI somewhere. He seems to be the missing link in a good batting line up. Pakistan just had a bad couple of tests and I expect them to bounce back soon but the point is, Fawad Alam in there would be giving us a better chance at not falling like a pack of cards.

Fawad can play if Babar fails. Which is why it should be either him or Amin as reserve batsman.

Get in a fast bowling all rounder.

One more solid middle order batsmen like Fawad.

We need an allrounder who can put in some overs along with being a dependable batsman.Otherwise this lineup is good.

Selector criticize players to skip QA Trophy for BPL, but whats the reward for extraordinary performance in QA trophy if you don;t reward them. Is it not the time to reward players like Usman Salahudin and Mir Hamza just for that ?

I personally feel Tabish Khan deserves a place in tests, guy bowls his heart out can cause trouble with his action,pace,bounce on Australian pitches .

I personally feel Tabish Khan deserves a place in tests, guy bowls his heart out can cause trouble with his action,pace,bounce on Australian pitches .
He doesn't have much pace. 130-135 KPH range is his limit.

Bowling is weak. We must include Asif and a an x factor probably young fast bowler who we can give a chance in Australia someone like Ali Imran Pasha would be good.

Bowling is weak. We must include Asif and a an x factor probably young fast bowler who we can give a chance in Australia someone like Ali Imran Pasha would be good.
Ali Imran isn't young.

Asif is injured and his performance haven't been great.

You need an offie against all these lefties.

Pick Ajmal from the Second Test onwards with instructions to chuck. He will win you one Test then get banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Usman Salahuddin get a shot, he's been performing extraordinarily in domestics

Heard the selectors might pick Kamran Akmal instead of Rizwan ( if he fails against NZ). The irony is that Kami has been a beast in the domestic circuit this year.

Heard the selectors might pick Kamran Akmal instead of Rizwan ( if he fails against NZ). The irony is that Kami has been a beast in the domestic circuit this year.

Kami and Sydney brings back HORROR memories.

I hope Kami doesn't get selected.

You need an offie against all these lefties.

Pick Akmal from the Second Test onwards with instructions to chuck. He will win you one Test then get banned.

I think you meant Ajmal, and even a non-chucking Ajmal will be too good for this Aussie side. However, Ajmal seems to have lost favour with the selectors and isn't any where close to being selected.

Mir Hmaza for Rahat
Babar out, Yamin in at 6

Before all the Babar freaks kill me, I am a fan of his too but he'll get a chance in WI anyways and we real;y need an all rounder.

Babar was the only Pakistani batsman in 1st test who looked comfortable and played a good innings in 2nd ing. Younis Khan was the most clueless.

i think the side is suited for Australian Tour rather we needed additional swing bowler for NZ but may be they thought it was useless to change on odd player for such a limited serious

The only thing I find amusing is the insistence that if pitch has bounce wahab must play. Back on point, no change for test squad.

The back up middle order options have to be a lot better then ones we have picked here in new zealand. Also players like rahat need to get the boot.

Same 15 with addition of Usman salahuddin as 16th member

Time to drop Mohammad Amir and Younis Khan?

Looks eyebrow raising but makes sense.Amir is not among our top 4 bowlers especially for Australia.Wahab is the impact bowler,Sohail Khan is the new ball merchant while Imran is the work horse yasir plays as the lone spinner.Amir can sit the bench with Rahat and comes in for an injury.

As for Younis i love the guy but I think he is done as a batsmen for these pitches.Get Sharjeel to open with Sami followed by Azhar,Babar, Misbah and Shafiq rounds the top 6.

Amir is still among your top 3 pacers. Wahab is not better than Amir.

Amir should play because although he's below par like the other pacers, he offers better control than Rahat and Wahab.

Younis should be forced into retirement after the Australian series. Throughout his career, he has been rubbish on pitches with lateral movement. He has been lucky that he has played little cricket in tough overseas conditions otherwise his career would have been over long ago.

Amir is still among your top 3 pacers. Wahab is not better than Amir.

Wahab plays the enforcer role Amir is incapable of that while he is being outshown by Sohail with the new ball.Amir biggest issue is he wants to be a new ball spearhead.enforcer,workhorse all at the same time and he is inferior to wahab,Sohail and Imran in all 3 roles

Younis is a dead man batting outside Asia.

Amir is still the best bowler, but let down by terrible catching.

Amir should play because although he's below par like the other pacers, he offers better control than Rahat and Wahab.

Younis should be forced into retirement after the Australian series. Throughout his career, he has been rubbish on pitches with lateral movement. He has been lucky that he has played little cricket in tough overseas conditions otherwise his career would have been over long ago.
Sohail and Imran have to play while Wahab is more likely to have an impact spell then Amir.

Did you not watch Amir's perfect, double wicket opening over? Last week everyone was complaining he could do nothing with the new ball, this match he shows up with a first over that got both openers and still people want to drop him. The man just cannot win!

Wahab plays the enforcer role Amir is incapable of that while he is being outshown by Sohail with the new ball.Amir biggest issue is he wants to be a new ball spearhead.enforcer,workhorse all at the same time and he is inferior to wahab,Sohail and Imran in all 3 roles

Amir is not some magical bowler as many PPers hoped earlier, but he hasn't bowled badly. Yah, he is not swinging much and some time it's hilarious to see posters making one excuse after another for lack of movement. Those posters starts lecturing as if their sole aim is to defend Amir and not talk about reality.

Having seen him bowl, I won't rely on Amir running through sides, but he is a very good support bowler. I think few good perrformances may help him.

Younis is fishing a lot isn't he.
He has had ten innings outside Asia this year and failed in nine of them.

And after this Test the next six are against taller, faster bowlers on bouncier wickets.

He is 334 runs short of 10,000 and the humiliation he would endure in scratching them would ruin his legacy.

I think it's 40-60, but Younis Khan may well retire on Tuesday. Or at this rate, Monday.

He has had ten innings outside Asia this year and failed in nine of them.

And after this Test the next six are against taller, faster bowlers on bouncier wickets.

He is 334 runs short of 10,000 and the humiliation he would endure in scratching them would ruin his legacy.

I think it's 40-60, but Younis Khan may well retire on Tuesday. Or at this rate, Monday.

He won't retire for sure, I can guarantee. But, what PCB can do is bargain with him - he'll take himself out of AUS tour on personal reasons - PCB will give him 3 Tests against us in March to reach 10K, may be the WI Series as well, where matches will be played on UAE like wickets.

Anything other than that, if he is dropped, he'll make sure that there is enough hue & cry that not only AUS Tour, but next 2/3 Series, team harmony is destroyed.

Actually I think this pitch is faster and bouncier than any of the Test venues Pakistan is playing in Australia, that should be a help at least

Looks eyebrow raising but makes sense.Amir is not among our top 4 bowlers especially for Australia.Wahab is the impact bowler,Sohail Khan is the new ball merchant while Imran is the work horse yasir plays as the lone spinner.Amir can sit the bench with Rahat and comes in for an injury.

As for Younis i love the guy but I think he is done as a batsmen for these pitches.Get Sharjeel to open with Sami followed by Azhar,Babar, Misbah and Shafiq rounds the top 6.
Imran Khan's career would be destroyed by Warner.

He's only selectable on pitches that offer assistance.

No one's career is destroyed by one player or a series.
That's not really the point of my post.

Taking into consideration Imran's lack of pace he'll be eaten alive by the Australian batsman on flat pitches.

Just like Philander and Abbott are being eaten alive right?

They are much better bowlers but they are not playing on flat wickets. Last time when Philander toured Australia in 2012, he was at the top of his game but the flat pitches nullified him and he was utterly toothless.

They are much better bowlers but they are not playing on flat wickets. Last time when Philander toured Australia in 2012, he was at the top of his game but the flat pitches nullified him and he was utterly toothless.

Well I get youre point, but I think Imran would be usefull in Australia because he is used.to play on flat pitches. And add to that I dont think Mickey and Inzi are going to fly over antoher fast bowler for the Australia tour.

I think Tabish Khan needs to replace Imran Khan. He deserves a go. Even if it's for the short term. 31 is peak-ish time for a fast bowler and with the season hes had so far, he needs to be there. Everyone in the fast bowling department has looked ordinary so far and there needs to be a complete changein the future. But for now, this would be good. Two right armers who swing it is more than average.

Mohammad Sami and Junaid Khan need a go in tests again and Khalid Latif.

Hammad Azam, Hasan Ali as fast bowling all rounders instead of spin.

Spin bowlers in Australia will get 140-1 or 110-2 in an inns

A good performance would be 102-4 in an inns

Usman salahuddin for his current form. Looks like he is on a purple patch atm.

Last edited:
I would love to see a young unknown 6 ft, 145 plus, hit the deck type of bowler, no issues if he is wayward just to surprise the Aussies. But the question is do we have one or are willing to blood him down under, like M.Zahid in the 1996/97 C&U series.

One of the reasons we won in the U.A.E against them was because bowlers like Yasir & Imran were unknown quantity to them.

Imran Khan's career would be destroyed by Warner.

He's only selectable on pitches that offer assistance.

You just make things up as you go along right?

Imran Khan in the UAE, 5 Matches, Ave 28, SR 55
Wahab Riaz in the UAE 6 Matches, Ave 32, SR 61

Australia is a different ball game, I would send home Sami, Younis Khan , Imran Khan and Rahat . Bring in Fakhar Zaman, Usmani salahuddin and Mir Hamza and nothing wrong with rewarding Tabish Khan for years of hard work. Yes, Mir Hamza and TabishaTabish might not be the Wasim and Waqar but selectors need to send a message to performers at domestics that they will be rewarded.

You just make things up as you go along right?

Imran Khan in the UAE, 5 Matches, Ave 28, SR 55
Wahab Riaz in the UAE 6 Matches, Ave 32, SR 61
What does he bring to the table? What does he posses that will pose a threat to the Australian's?

He doesn't swing the ball. Can't seam the ball consistently. He doesn't have pace, which in Australia is required, unless you can seam the ball.

We need more fast bowlers with pace or swing: Asif, Hassan Ali/ Ghulam Mudassar, Ali Imran Pasha should be added to the squad.

Select Usman Sallahudin because of his form instead of Muhammad Rizwan

If Mohammad Hafeez clears the bowling action, unfortunately he will replace Muhammad Nawaz.

Sami Aslam has been mehh.. I don't think he should be dropped from the squad since we have another opener in there already, maybe give Sharjeel a go

Imran Khan should probably be dropped, he really gives nothing extra to the team that is not already present

I'd rather bring in Hasan Ali- he's younger, faster and more skilled

Sami needs to be dropped , it does not matter whether you are talented or not , if you cannot get runs , you need to go.

Others also deserve chance

What does he bring to the table? What does he posses that will pose a threat to the Australian's?

He doesn't swing the ball. Can't seam the ball consistently. He doesn't have pace, which in Australia is required, unless you can seam the ball.

pretty much everything you've written is fantasy. have you actually watched him bowl much? he is
very pickable in very unhelpful conditions for paces. he can reverse it. he can seam it. no bowler does
anything more consistently than him on the current bench. and quite a few bowlers who do not bowl
express have and are doing well in australia.

but all of this is besides the point. because we know beyond a doubt that he has the only skill that actually matters:

taking wickets regularly and cheaply.

that you believe he shouldn't be able to is your problem not his.

Last edited:
Bring in Usman Salahuddin. It is a TOUGH series to debut in, but its not like YK, Azhar and Asad are plundering runs..

Also IK needs to be dropped permanently. Need to bring back Junaid who has recently hit a reach vein of form, or try some other youngster who can take the third seamers slot. SK and Riaz to fight it out for the second seamers slot.

pretty much everything you've written is fantasy. have you actually watched him bowl much? he is
very pickable in very unhelpful conditions for paces. he can reverse it. he can seam it. no bowler does
anything more consistently than him on the current bench. and quite a few bowlers who do not bowl
express have and are doing well in australia.

but all of this is besides the point. because we know beyond a doubt that he has the only skill that actually matters:

taking wickets regularly and cheaply.

that you believe he shouldn't be able to is your problem not his.

Its not just me. Mickey doesn't rate him any higher than Amir, Wahab and Sohail.

Fawad Alam is the right choice for Australian tour he can bat well due to his good eyesight as he did in his last inning against Australia in Australia in 2010 at WACA Perth fastest track and scored 63 with the 90 plus S.R against Mitchal Jonson at his peak when Pakistan were in 18/3 position. People who criticise over his batting stance and technique will make their views change if he gets selected and play in test matches and consequently odis also..

Sami needs to be dropped , it does not matter whether you are talented or not , if you cannot get runs , you need to go.

One poor series and he has to go?

Last edited by a moderator:

There is no viable alternative for Australia apart from Salman Butt.

95% of deliveries are on or outside off-stump, but neither Sharjeel nor Hafeez has any off-side technique.

The team goes to Australia in four days, and Salman Butt probably can't get a visa that quick.

Back