Cheteshwar Pujara Discussion Thread

PlanetPakistan

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Making runs for fun! If i am not mistaken he has made 3 triple tons and a few other tons in the last 5-6 weeks of Ranji trophy and club cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
PlanetPakistan said:
Making runs for fun! If i am not mistaken he has made 3 triple tons and a few other tons in the last 5-6 weeks of Ranji trophy and club cricket.
Nothing special to create a thread about. Many young batsmen average over 50 in first class matches.

I'm wondering where I heard the name Pujara and that's when I remembered he was one of the victims in the 2006 u19 Anwar Ali massace :D

Inswinger said:
Nothing special to create a thread about. Many young batsmen average over 50 in first class matches.
aray bhai sahib where did i mention any thing about his average?

nikred said:
i think poor PP is trying to just point out about a guy who is having a dream run with centuries on trot.

Yes, he aint the only one.

Tupac said:
has this Ali guy scored 3 300's in a month, and two run a ball 150?
Ali is facing much better bowlers..... :D

But its a great run for the youngster. Gaining a lot of confidence.

Tupac said:
has this Ali guy scored 3 300's in a month, and two run a ball 150?

Half of dozen centurions in each scorecard to go with it. Tells you something about the wickets.

Muddaser said:
Half of dozen centurions in each scorecard to go with it. Tells you something about the wickets.

you didn't answer my question.

second you can only play with what your given. This kind of run is unheard of, and from looking at Azhar Ali's year, it's nowhere in comparison.

One mistake and it's all over. How many batsmen in first class cricket, regardless of wickets, have scored back to back 300s? Tells you something, and it ain't about the wickets.

Inswinger said:

maybe, and fantastic for him that he's getting it against better bowlers. But no reason to knock Pujara...not saying that you yourself are doing it.

Muddaser said:
Yes, he aint the only one.
I thought 3 triple tons and 2 150+ innings at run a ball in a space of 4 or 5 weeks was a great and unique accomplishment.
why not give some credit to the guy?

Pujara in the last few weeks has scored 3 triples
And two faster than a run a ball tons (189 and 170something)

PlanetPakistan said:
I thought 3 triple tons and 2 150+ innings at run a ball in a space of 4 or 5 weeks was a great and unique accomplishment.
why not give some credit to the guy?

I'll give him credit after I've seen him in action. Same goes for Azhar Ali.

All I've seen of Pujara is that dismissal off Anwar Ali.

Pujara cant play swing bowling as Anwar Ali exposed him....

itduzz said:

The entire Indian line up could not face swing bowling that day. I think we could all agree the bowling prospects in India are not as good as Pakistan's. The batsman generally are, so any stand out batsmen in Pakistan domestic (Azhar Ali) or any stand out bowler in Indian domestic (TBA) should get recognized more so than what we would expect, which is a batsman out of India and a bowler out of Pakistan.

Inswinger said:

on the contrary... does he not play in a league where the talent is diluted over 25 teams?

Muddaser said:
I'll give him credit after I've seen him in action. Same goes for Azhar Ali.

All I've seen of Pujara is that dismissal off Anwar Ali.

then why bring up Azhar Ali before saying he isn't the only one on a tear?

and if you give credit to someone only after you have seen them, it's not fair to discredit them before you've seen them either.

itduzz said:
even the best batsman gets out cheap to good swing bowling at least a few times in his lifetime.

give the kid time. he's still learning. to do so much at 20 is no mean feat. he has all the making of a second dravid

WOW. You got to be effing kidding me. PP was just praising the guy for having a dream run at this EARLY age. A guy who scored TWO triple tons in a span of ONE week and run a ball 180 odd and 170 odd. And people here started pulling out batsmen from the Pakistani domestic circuit. I love the Ind-Pak feud :)))

Ashes, what ?

Matic said:
The entire Indian line up could not face swing bowling that day. I think we could all agree the bowling prospects in India are not as good as Pakistan's. The batsman generally are, so any stand out batsmen in Pakistan domestic (Azhar Ali) or any stand out bowler in Indian domestic (TBA) should get recognized more so than what we would expect, which is a batsman out of India and a bowler out of Pakistan.

:))) :)))
do you know what are you talking about?

pakistan cannot find a decent fast bowler in tests after gul,and you are saying you have better prospects,most of recent pak fast bowlers have been only prospects and as they bowl on flat pitches in pak they are tired when they come to international scene.

Tupac said:

and if you give credit to someone only after you have seen them, it's not fair to discredit them before you've seen them either.

Like I said, He aint the only one.

Cricket_god said:
:))) :)))
do you know what are you talking about?

pakistan cannot find a decent fast bowler in tests after gul,and you are saying you have better prospects,most of recent pak fast bowlers have been only prospects and as they bowl on flat pitches in pak they are tired when they come to international scene.

Asif came after Gul.

The guy has a better record than all Indian bowlers in history.

Cheteshwar Arvind Pujara

I am not sure about his cricketing abilities, but as far as I am concerned he now has by far the most explosive name in cricket.

Absolutely Erythroblastosis Phhatyalis Completalis stuff!

Momo said:
Cheteshwar Arvind Pujara

I am not sure about his cricketing abilities, but as far as I am concerned he now has by far the most explosive name in cricket.

Momo are you a doctor?

If he says yes, I'll unleash the CLAP.

Momo said:
Cheteshwar Arvind Pujara

No, that honour belongs to Vaas.!
Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas!!!

Last edited:
Rajan said:
No, that honour belongs to Vaas.!
Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas!!!

Actually that honour is jointly held by

Dollar Mahmud and Napoleon Einstein

An amazing run by Pujara regardless of the type of pitches - to score big in a short period of time definately deserves credit

Tupac said:

i wonder if he gives any credit to bradman...

Matic said:
most of our stand out bowlers are playing in the big leagues at the moment... and they are doing an exceptional job.

most of your emerging batting talent is playing league cricket...

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
on the contrary... does he not play in a league where the talent is diluted over 25 teams?

If you didnt realise Azhar Ali has scored 3 hundreds in the Pentangular tournament.

Just 5 teams.

He is a great talent, even though he scored more nthen run a ball 150's, he still seems a bit slow, in the Dravid mould

PP ,have u heard about an Indian Don Bradman ,the great Vikram Rathod . :D .

I want this guy Aravind to be a genuine talent and an international class .I won;t buy Indian domestic cricket .

Graeme Hick scored almost 150 centuries in his first class career and scored 405 runs not out as well.

He didnt make it as an international player.

Oh please not the Anwar Ali crap again!! I mean i can understand people saying its noting great or that they don't rate him yet(myself included) but that is unacceptable..i mean one innings and hes exposed??For all I know, that might have been a fluke..unless he reproduces that sort of performance again.Even Rohit Sharma was one of his victims..but seems to have done all right against swing/pace whatever..

Savak said:
Graeme Hick scored almost 150 centuries in his first class career and scored 405 runs not out as well.

as did mark ramprakash, ajay sharma etc etc...

these people suffered from an inability to consolidate the rigors and pressure of playing at the grand stage... they did not suffer any paucity of talent or ability.

all it takes is one poor debut and in the competitive world of cricket, especially in the indian sub continent, one can be relegated to the doldrums of obscurity. pujara has the aptitude to make it big, and if he has a half way decent debut, he will be here to stay...

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
that is certainly noteworthy. though i still feel he has nothing on pujara...

Simply because he is Indian without seeing Azhar Ali in action.

Very credible indeed. :14:

siddharth said:
PP ,have u heard about an Indian Don Bradman ,the great Vikram Rathod . :D .

I want this guy Aravind to be a genuine talent and an international class .I won;t buy Indian domestic cricket .
siddharth, the usual, accurate use of punctuation marks is that the punctuation mark follows immediately after the preceding word, not immediately before the succeeding word. i cant tell if you do that on purpose or just out of ignorance. if you do it on purpose, it is probably the single most asinine thing i have seen in some time.

Muddaser said:
Simply because he is Indian without seeing Azhar Ali in action.

Very credible indeed. :14:
no, because pujara is playing in a pool that is much more competitive and he is performing with a remarkable frequency. i am sure azhar ali is good, especially now that i know of his exploit in the pentagular cup, heck he might be exceptionally good, nonetheless, pujara holds his own against the best.

itduzz said:

The way he was swinging the ball that day, not many players would have been able to play him. Anyways its been a few years since them and Im sure these players have improved over that time

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
as did mark ramprakash, ajay sharma etc etc...

these people suffered from an inability to consolidate the rigors and pressure of playing at the grand stage... they did not suffer any paucity of talent or ability.

all it takes is one poor debut and in the competitive world of cricket, especially in the indian sub continent, one can be relegated to the doldrums of obscurity. pujara has the aptitude to make it big, and if he has a half way decent debut, he will be here to stay...

Ajay Sharma, Vikram Rathode and Ramprakash were true enigmas, but Hick, not quite so. He did have a terrible beginning to his career (and I dont mean just in terms of scores, I also mean in terms of *that* mean Malcom Marshall delivery pitched 1 mile outside offstump that swung viciously and painfully, in, straight to the soft tissues (or hard, doctors anyone?) between the legs)

Hick was a victim of terrible man-management. And the irony is illingworth started playing games with him when his average was rising all the time, and he was doing better than most other poms. Even Viv Richards would have lost it if he got the **** Hick got from Illingworth.

As for Pujara, he's definitely got to be very good to pile runs like that. 100% future test prospect.

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
siddharth, the usual, accurate use of punctuation marks is that the punctuation mark follows immediately after the preceding word, not immediately before the succeeding word. i cant tell if you do that on purpose or just out of ignorance. if you do it on purpose, it is probably the single most asinine thing i have seen in some time.
Thanks Guruji for correction .I had this habit of using space bar after each word .A bad habit i agreed .It just happens like that.Why should i do that purposefully ?For what purpose . It is not like that people are giving that much attention to puncutation marks.

Savak said:

This logic single-handedly puts the purpose of all domestic cricket played in every part of the world in a position of compromise. Well done.

siddharth said:
Thanks Guruji for correction .I had this habit of using space bar after each word .A bad habit i agreed .It just happens like that.Why should i do that purposefully ?For what purpose . It is not like that people are giving that much attention to puncutation marks.
i did not mean to rub you the wrong way... one of my first jobs was that of a fact checker and language editor, and thus old habits die hard.

aditya said:
Ajay Sharma, Vikram Rathode and Ramprakash were true enigmas, but Hick, not quite so. He did have a terrible beginning to his career (and I dont mean just in terms of scores, I also mean in terms of *that* mean Malcom Marshall delivery pitched 1 mile outside offstump that swung viciously and painfully, in, straight to the soft tissues (or hard, doctors anyone?) between the legs)

Hick was a victim of terrible man-management. And the irony is illingworth started playing games with him when his average was rising all the time, and he was doing better than most other poms. Even Viv Richards would have lost it if he got the **** Hick got from Illingworth.

As for Pujara, he's definitely got to be very good to pile runs like that. 100% future test prospect.
i did not know about this illingworth angle... do explain. and yeah, that assault on his nethers was brutal. i think he took another from akhtar later on in the career in sharjah, but nonetheless he did score a 60 odd in that innings.

you could throw in wasim jaffer in this lot too. giant at home, feeble away...

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
i did not know about this illingworth angle... do explain.

oh, if you followed cricket in the mid 90s, you'd have followed these stories. so enamoured was illingworth with regaining the ashes, that he kept f***ing with the batting line up, and hick was the scapegoat every time. he got dropped at such ridiculous times when he perfectly deserved his place, that everyone could only point out and laugh. everyone from gatting, waugh, shashtri, warne, gavaskar called illingworth an ass for what he did then. but nonetheless, the ill-treatment and pressure got to hick and it ruined him.

if you google you'll definitely get something on this. hick has recently retired, so there should be a few fresh articles out there as well. as for hicks batting records, i guess cricinfo's cumulative average table will give it. his average was on the up steadily, then when they started playing games with him, fell, fell and fell.

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
and yeah, that assault on his nethers was brutal. i think he took another from akhtar later on in the career in sharjah, but nonetheless he did score a 60 odd in that innings.

ah yes, i remember the sharjah one. hicks reply to akhtar was a six over long leg. :batman:

oops sorry. i got the six thing wrong. i actually cant recall the shoaib akhtar hick incident. mixed up hick with another guy.

Bhajis_acid_tongue said:
i did not mean to rub you the wrong way... one of my first jobs was that of a fact checker and language editor, and thus old habits die hard.
why aren't you capitalizing at the start of sentences, yar? surely... that's absolutely essential, especially for a fact checker and a language editor.

:asif

Easa said:
why aren't you capitalizing at the start of sentences, yar? surely... that's absolutely essential, especially for a fact checker and a language editor.

:asif
it was a knee jerk response... steady now! before i go all pronouns and subject verb agreement on your behind!

ok i googled and got these about the hick-illingworth spat, and 3rd party assessments:

from the wikipedia page on hick:

Waugh also cites the aforementioned 1995 declaration by Michael Atherton as a possible reason for Hick's lack of success in Test cricket, stating that "just as Hick's ... gifts were about to re-emerge, in stepped ... Atherton to extinguish the flame."

Some felt that Hick was the victim of poor man-management, and Hick himself let his feelings slip in 2002, when asked who had been his best coach. "That's the trouble," he replied. "There haven't been any."

Shane Warne felt he was "a classic example of a player who [had] really been messed around",

Ray Illingworth's treatment of Hick has also come under considerable scrutiny. Botham considered Illingworth to be "totally out of touch with the modern game",

Hick's ODI statistics are considerably better than his equivalent Test figures, and his eventual career average of 37.33 is higher than any of Gooch, Thorpe and Gower. Indeed, for a period of more than two years from February 1994 Hick was never ranked lower than tenth in the world ODI rankings, and at the time of his omission from the one-day team halfway through 1996 he was rated number six.

there are other critics who question his temperament as well, saying he should have been tougher and arisen out of the muck.

and click the "latest article" on the hick cricinfo profile page. The shy and retiring run machine (Nov 11, 2008) has the answers you're looking for:

Me, I just cursed the way such a talent had been destroyed by poor management. I still believe he could have had a Test average in the 50s if only those in authority had put an arm round his shoulder and kept the faith.

It was not just Illingworth who mistreated him. During the 1994-95 Ashes tour, when he was 98 not out and battling his way back into form against Australia in Sydney, Mike Atherton (a caring man in every other way) declared, accusing Hick of scoring too slowly. Hick was too good-natured to hold a grudge but the pain and shame of being stopped on 98 stayed with him forever. He once told me: "I regard Athers as a good friend, but I wouldn't have minded a good thump at him."

But ultimately for a man of such immense ability he failed at Test level. And the more he failed, the more devoted I became to him.

Pujara Knocking on Indian Team's door...

New Delhi: On the domestic circuit this season, Cheteshwar Pujara has emerged as a run-making machine. Hundreds have come as a matter of routine and the 20-year-old has virtually carried Saurashtra single-handedly into the Ranji trophy semi-finals.

Can he now translate his potential into international performance?

It was only fitting that the winning runs came off his bat; Pujara buried a strong Karnataka side with a flawless 112 not out to carry his team into the semis for only the third time in history. It was no wonder he was carried off on his shoulders by his team.

"This has been an amazing season. It's my best season. We are looking forward to the next game against Mumbai. Sachin Tendulkar and Zaheer Khan will be playing for Mumbai. So, it will be a big challenge," said Pujara after the win on Monday.

And Pujara surely won't be easy even for Zaheer Khan to dislodge. On the Ranji circuit this year, bowlers have tried and miserably failed. In eight matches this season, Pujara has made 867 runs. He averages nearly 90 and has four centuries under his belt already, one of those was a triple hundred.

"Cheteshwar has very good concentration. He is a very determined player. He has a very good temperament. I don't know what's missing in him but I think he will get his chance in the Indian team soon," said Pujara's teammate Sitanshu Kotak

Pujara has often been compared to the legendary Rahul Dravid in terms of technique and temperament and Dravid only has words of appreciation for this unique talent.

"He has impressed a lot of people and he has done really well this season. My advice to him will be keep scoring runs and keep learning with every game," said Dravid after his team suffered the Pujara assault to crash out of the Ranji Trophy.

With more places in the Indian middle order likely to open up in the near future, Cheteshwar Pujara will surely get a call-up, till then all he can, and possibly will do is plunder attacks on the domestic circuit.

http://cricketnext.in.com/news/phenomenal-pujara-knocks-on-team-indias-door/37086-18.html

Oh please, please let this kid into the side ASAP and kick out that Rahul Dravid for gooddd... :59:

Last edited:
With the amount of talent India have today, they can easily put together at least 3 very good international teams ( playing on sub-continent wickets of course)

Pujara got owned by Anwar Ali in U19 WC.... :)))

looks like another FTB in the making... :))

itduzz said:

And all your bowlers in the u-19 were better than Ishant Sharma. Yet Ishant is in our team winning MOS against teams like Aus and where are your bowlers?

Indiafan said:
And all your bowlers in the u-19 were better than Ishant Sharma. Yet Ishant is in our team winning MOS against teams like Aus and where are your bowlers?

Because the GREAT " Roa " is in the side :rao

Anwar Ali , Mohammad Aamer , Mohammad Talha are rocking in domestic , and Qadir is gonna try them :ibutt as they say sabar ka phal meetha hota hai :yk

Indiafan said:

Age caught up with Anwar Ali and he retired.:p

itduzz said:

Put a sock in it, stop living in the past, one innings he failed and he's a FTB ?

Your a genius

Dude don't fall for itduzz lol if you look carefully he will just post a wind up comment and leave.
He is not here for debate.

IronMan2009 said:
Dude don't fall for itduzz lol if you look carefully he will just post a wind up comment and leave.
He is not here for debate.
:)) I've maintained from the first day that he is another Cars112, in terms of maturity level.

I think India has a tremendous amount of batting potential, in fact too much. Every few months some young guy comes up with tons of runs, knocking on the national team door.

But there are only 11 spots..if only India could convince the ICC to increase the no. of players on the field to 15?

I think it is the year of big run chases. Even though it is just domestic match another 300 plus 4th innings chase against Dravid's team.

itduzz said:

come on man, dont turn every thread into pak vs. India. Stop taking cheap shots. In that final, all the pakistani batters didnt do anything either. It was just a bowlers' game.

So stop spoiling the thread. I am a pakistani, but I think india has some good talent coming up. Learn to give credit where it is due

Back