Cheteshwar Pujara Discussion Thread

Is Zaheer playing for Mumbai? I thought he was going to take a break after a hectic season.

Good luck to get in the team :)) I dont think he'll get a chance, unless one of the batsmen gets injured.

itduzz said:
Pujara got owned by Anwar Ali in U19 WC.... :)))

looks like another FTB in the making... :))

yarr can we stop this please? it dosent look good to bash indian players all the time. We want to have a good discussion rather then bashing on indian players. How can you call a FTB player after 1 bad inning?

lollol said:
Good luck to get in the team :)) I dont think he'll get a chance, unless one of the batsmen gets injured.

Dravid scored a 100 and complicated things :pissed: .

IronMan2009 said:
Dravid scored a 100 and complicated things :pissed: .
Exactly my thoughts. For me, the Dravid who once averaged >60 has long gone. He has been owned by every newbie debutant bowler... I think his days were numbered, and he either had to retire or get some batting form in domestic.

However, as u already said, his 100 really made this more complicated.

lollol said:
Exactly my thoughts. For me, the Dravid who once averaged >60 has long gone. He has been owned by every newbie debutant bowler... I think his days were numbered, and he either had to retire or get some batting form in domestic.

However, as u already said, his 100 really made this more complicated.
Dravid never averaged above 60. The highest he have gone is 58.75

bdchamp20 said:
How come he wasn't picked ahead of that Chennai guy?

He started scoring heavily after he was picked. Secondly chennai guy also scored 243 as an opener. Third they were looking for replacement for Gambhir an opener.

bublubhuyan said:
Dravid never averaged above 60. The highest he have gone is 58.75

You are quite poor with stats really.

Without even looking at Dravid's career stats, i can proclaim that he averaged more than 60 at the end of his debut Test series in England. It is different matter that he had only played a couple of Tests by then but that is enough to debunk a statement that has "never" in it.

Never say "never" again :).

Last edited:
bdchamp20 said:
How come he wasn't picked ahead of that Chennai guy?
Depends on who you mean. There are two Chennai guys Murali Vijay and Badrinath. Murali Vijay is mainly an opener and would have to wait for either Gambhir or Sehwag to get injured or change into a #3 batsman.

As for Badrinath, he's been scoring heavily against weak domestic attacks for the last few years. He hasnt done well in the "big matches" so far. Although that being said, he just scored in the last innings of a ranji qf match against Bengal in the 4th innings. Also he's shown that he can play decently against Murali and Mendis in the SL odi series (from whatever little we saw of him). And I reckon that he has the technique to score against medium pace dibbly-dobbly bowlers who seam the ball in NZ.

IAJ said:
With the amount of talent India have today, they can easily put together at least 3 very good international teams ( playing on sub-continent wickets of course)

So long as they don't have to bowl...

Random Aussie said:
So long as they don't have to bowl...

You don't mean India has no bowling resources do you? :p. India actually has a good pool bowling resources as well.

Two promising leggies. Mishra and Piyush. I don't know about this parmer guy who has similar action like Murali. He has taken 52 wickets in 11 matches this year. People rate him high. Ravindra Jadeja who is an all rounder picking 42 wickets this year. Then there is Ojha, Ashwin, Powar.

In the pace department Dhawal kulkarni is rising fast. So is Trivedi. Praveen is a good medium pacer who can swing both ways. Infact you probably saw a bit of him CB finals where he troubled Australian top order with swing. Then the usual suspects Ishant, Munaf, Irfan, Sreesanth, Zak. Another good news is Balaji is doing a fantastic job on his return.

IronMan2009 said:
You don't mean India has no bowling resources do you? :p. India actually has a good pool bowling resources as well.

Two promising leggies. Mishra and Piyush. I don't know about this parmer guy who has similar action like Murali. He has taken 52 wickets in 11 matches this year. People rate him high. Ravindra Jadeja who is an all rounder picking 42 wickets this year. Then there is Ojha, Ashwin, Powar.

In the pace department Dhawal kulkarni is rising fast. So is Trivedi. Praveen is a good medium pacer who can swing both ways. Infact you probably saw a bit of him CB finals where he troubled Australian top order with swing. Then the usual suspects Ishant, Munaf, Irfan, Sreesanth, Zak. Another good news is Balaji is doing a fantastic job on his return.

India have some decent bowling resources but nothing like the batting resources. Don't forget the international Indian bowlers still fail to average less than 30. For once I am not bagging India :D but the quality of India's batsmen is a lot higher than the bowling.

Random Aussie said:
India have some decent bowling resources but nothing like the batting resources. Don't forget the international Indian bowlers still fail to average less than 30. For once I am not bagging India :D but the quality of India's batsmen is a lot higher than the bowling.

We have allways been a decent batting side.
A look at our test win loss ratio will show..
We easily have the best draw/played ratio i guess :D

an indictment of dead pitches and weak bowling, because without a good bowling attack no one is going to win mathces.

India's current bowling attack is decent so we are winning matches.

bublubhuyan said:
:)) I've maintained from the first day that he is another Cars112, in terms of maturity level.

Where is Cars112? :( I liked that guy.
I agree with RA, too many batsmen, not enough bowling talent . Ishant Korma will sustain India for another few series, but they really need a decent third seamer.

Cheteshwar Pujara

This thread is dedicated to C pujara an absolute run machine . While idiots like yuvi get the test spot this dude just piles on runs and more runs.

Came back after a six month injury layoff with a notout double hundred (204*) .yes pitch was flat bowling terrible but still. :14: :14:

dude has now 12 hundreds in 41 fc matches avg of 57.66 after today.

a future star

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Murali Vijay?

Hes been a maniac the last 2 seasons as well.
Scored 148 in the match currently going on and should be playing at either the opening or number 3 spot for India

*sallu* said:
How about Murali Vijay?

Hes been a maniac the last 2 seasons as well.
Scored 148 in the match currently going on and should be playing at either the opening or number 3 spot for India
as far as i see it the likely candidates in future are

murali vijay
abhinav mukund
pujara
kohli
rohit sharma

pun500 said:
yes but after he was the top scorer at that wc with avg of 100+

Yes, he did bat like a guy is form with an ave of 100+ in the that match -- since that was the last match of the tournament.

Plus did 100+ average matter at all?

pun500 said:
what has anwar ali done after that?

Deal with Aamir first then talk Anwar.

pun500 said:
yes but after he was the top scorer at that wc with avg of 100+

what has anwar ali done after that?

Anwar Ali has also been amoung the wickets...3 ten wicket hauls is nothing to just laugh about..and also his batting is improving..just like him..Pujara is also doing this in FC cricket! so i dont want to hear wat has Anwar Ali done crap! They are on they same boat!

oh yeah just saw the video (pujara was the second one who was out .. ball hit him outside the line while playing a shot)

from your clip

qweag.jpg

JeeraBlade said:
Yes, he did bat like a guy is form with an ave of 100+ in the that match -- since that was the last match of the tournament.

And the party spoiler continues spoiling the party.

:))) :)))

pun500 said:
oh yeah just saw the video (pujara was the second one who was out .. ball hit him outside the line while playing a shot)

from your clip

Sorry -- my bad. Should have known. Steve Bucknor was the umpire. These damn umpires always spoil things for India.

OZGOD/Random Aussie: Can I borrow your line?
"Indian phir ........."

Last edited:
JeeraBlade said:

ouch that hurt didnt it ..
point being even bradman got a duck so? that makes him crap according to your logic. :))

(note : this is not to say pujara is the next bradman .. the only pt is he is a much better bat than the yuvi who is in our test line up)

JeeraBlade said:
Sorry -- my bad. Should have known. Steve Bucknor was the umpire. These damn umpires always spoil things for India.

OZGOD/Random Aussie: Can I borrow your line?
"Indian phir ........."
funny considering an indian didnt make this statement

good news for pakistan. Especially for all them decisions that go against pakistan.

or start the decisions against pak thread

or how about the time of crying for u akmals decision in CT

JB you bought the point of him having no clue which was wrong. Yes he got a harsh decision but thats that. Its done . What the point is he is a damn fine bat

pun500 said:
point being even bradman got a duck so? that makes him crap according to your logic. :))

(note : this is not to say pujara is the next bradman .. the only pt is he is a much better bat than the yuvi who is in our test line up)
Pujara failed against a decent bowler like Anwer Ali but he's been eating away at all the Indian bowlers at FC level, and quite frankly that doesn't say much given the statue of Indian bowling. . Let's see what he'll do against a half-decent bowler like Anwer Ali.

Afridi_Fan said:
Pun500 for Indian selector?

Anyone?

ya i agreed

ya pun 500 will select his bhanjas ,
bhatijas hehehehe

Last edited:
pun500 said:
No as much as seeing 100+ ave bastman going 2nd ball chasing 109 in WC final.

pun500 said:
Did I say, he was crap?
pun500 said:

All I was saying that after scoring a lot of runs WC, he chokes in the final --- which makes him a better replacement for "you know who" than Yuvraj.

Last edited:
Inswinger said:
Pujara failed against a decent bowler like Anwer Ali but he's been eating away at all the Indian bowlers at FC level, and quite frankly that doesn't say much given the statue of Indian bowling. . Let's see what he'll do against a half-decent bowler like Anwer Ali.
same bowlers against whom the yuvi , gambhir , sehwag made runs. even lax , tendulkar ,ganguly dravid made runs on the same pitches against same bowlers

It is not bhatija mentality .. if you see him bat you would know . Yuvi for me is very circumspect in test matches.

pun500 said:
same bowlers against whom the yuvi , gambhir , sehwag made runs. even lax , tendulkar ,ganguly dravid made runs on the same pitches against same bowlers

It is not bhatija mentality .. if you see him bat you would know . Yuvi for me is very circumspect in test matches.

His last innings totaly negates this.

Afridi_Fan said:
His last innings totaly negates this.
on a flat track ... i will reserve my judgement on yuvi . he is a talented bat but the temprament for a long innings is lacking . did you manage to catch his dismissal when he had the lankan attack by the throat?

pun500 said:
on a flat track ... i will reserve my judgement on yuvi . he is a talented bat but the temprament for a long innings is lacking . did you manage to catch his dismissal when he had the lankan attack by the throat?

pun500 said:
This thread is dedicated to C pujara an absolute run machine . While idiots like yuvi get the test spot this dude just piles on runs and more runs.

Came back after a six month injury layoff with a notout double hundred (204*) .
yes pitch was flat bowling terrible but still.
:14: :14:

dude has now 12 hundreds in 41 fc matches avg of 57.66 after today.

a future star

Yes of a flat track.

Afridi_Fan said:
Yes of a flat track.
mark my words given an opportunity he will be one of indias better test bats .
Yuvi will be inconsistent brilliance followed by avg stuff.

pun500 said:
mark my words given an opportunity he will be one of indias better test bats.
Yuvi will be inconsistent brilliance followed by avg stuff.

Marked

JeeraBlade said:

To be frank, just because a player gets out to a good ball he does not become mediocre. Every top player around the world have been clueless against bowlers at least once in their career. That doesn't make them bad players. Let Pujara make it to the Indian team and then we can reserve the judgement on his technique.

you guys are too obssesed with the tournament finals performance. Unfortunately it does not work that way. If you take 1996 WC, Jayasuriya was responsible for SL reaching the semis but he did not do anything in the semi-finals and the finals with the bat that does not make his contribution less significant. When Jayasuriya failed the rest of the team led my Aravinda in the batting was able to take them through thats how cricket works.Again I reiterate cricket is a team game its very rare that the same player will score runs in all the games. If your in form player fails the rest of the team should be able to make up for it.

Now we know why the subcontinent teams have been so inconsistent. The reason is because we believe in the theory that Sachin or Inzimam needs to win us all the games as they become an easy target for us to blame if the team loses forgetting how pathetic the rest of the batters were in that game.

pun500 said:
as far as i see it the likely candidates in future are

murali vijay
abhinav mukund
pujara
kohli
rohit sharma

I agree with your list but to be frank, I don't see Vijay and Mukund making the team any soon. Sorry to say but that has been the bane of TN players in Indian team. As soon as Badri and Vijay were selected as the reserves for the current test series there have been consipiracy theories floating around blaming Srikkanth for showing favoritsm. Unfortunately no one complained when Rohit Sharma played 41 games for India with an average of 24. Badri failed in 2 games and people are questioning his inclusion. Pujara and Rohit might get a chance though.

badri i think is past it... was unfortunate to be playing in time of sachin/gangs/dravid/laxman

they would play for 2 years making badri 30+ . also he is not an odi bat for future better to go with above list

Inswinger said:
Is Rohit Sharma still rated ahead of Suresh Raina?

Suresh Raina is not cut out for test cricket. With his obvious weekness with short deliveries I will be surprised if he makes it to the test team. He is too hot headed and does not seem to be one to bat out time in a test match. Rohit Sharma seems more like a test candidate, but he needs to sort out his technique too, if he has to make a comeback. Unfortunately for him IPL isn't the selection criteria for test matches. :)

rohit sharma is the worst cricketer ever to play cricket. he is a worser batsman than ashish nehra & munaf patel

the future candidates for india in tests r -

pujara
murali vijay
shikhar dhawan
suresh raina
abhinav mukund

@all rohit sharma fans, rohit sharma isnt fit for any form of cricket which lasts more than 20 overs in an innings. by 2011 he would be kicked out of even ranji trophy

giri26 said:
I agree with your list but to be frank, I don't see Vijay and Mukund making the team any soon. Sorry to say but that has been the bane of TN players in Indian team. As soon as Badri and Vijay were selected as the reserves for the current test series there have been consipiracy theories floating around blaming Srikkanth for showing favoritsm. Unfortunately no one complained when Rohit Sharma played 41 games for India with an average of 24. Badri failed in 2 games and people are questioning his inclusion. Pujara and Rohit might get a chance though.
badri and vijay are deserved spots. the problem is dinesh kartik in the squad many times. I like the dudes attitude but if we are playing him as a batsmen we have better options . He should strictly be a replacement for dhoni . also no use carrying 2 keepers abroad just fly one when the need arises . dravid is good enough for the job in 1 test match till the replacement makes it

I guess India will somehow manage in the batting department in the future but the major concern for India is their bowling. India don't seem to unearth half a decent bowler to win matches for the country. Ishant seems out of depth and for sure needs a break to work on his bowling. I hope that we dont go back to Nehra which will surely be a backward step.

India needs to try Tyagi for sure as he cannot do worse than the current crop. There is another bowler Abid Nabi who plays for J&K. He was in the news couple of years back but went out of favor since he chose to play in the ICL. He has a decent domestic record with a strike rate below 50 in first class game. He is a tall bowler with decent pace, probably around 140 K's. India need to explore their options and try to pick such talents to represent the team.

amit said:
@all rohit sharma fans, rohit sharma isnt fit for any form of cricket which lasts more than 20 overs in an innings. by 2011 he would be kicked out of even ranji trophy
i wont be so harsh on sharma ... raina suffered a similar phase few years ago. sharma is an effective bat. yup i did forget about dhawan

^sharma isnt effective at all. he cant play spin or even short-pitched bowling

easily has one of the best techniques among the younger lot ....before his injury , i remember he scored 3 or 4 , 200 + scores on a trot ..an quite clearly hast lost his touch , scoring another double on his first innings after injury ...think he would have been in the indian team , if not for the injury ...surely the one to watch out for .

Looks like Indian selectors need to do a better job to give a chance to future prospects.

i watched that innings on tv... the recent 204* one... pretty ok... but not mindblowing or something.... this man will soon be in contention for a spot in the test side if he continues scoring like this...

i believe manoj tiwary must be given a chance.... he's a treat to watch... got a solid technique... scored 70 odd in the last innins he played vs karnataka i guess

Dare2Dream said:
Looks like Indian selectors need to do a better job to give a chance to future prospects.
the guy has been real unfortunate .. when he was on the cusp of selection..he got injured.

Subsequently rohit sharma / kohli /raina got chances and he went behind. Vijay was recommended by ganguly (also a natural opener) and hence got the nod as gambhir got banned.

adarsh_bang said:
i believe manoj tiwary must be given a chance.... he's a treat to watch... got a solid technique... scored 70 odd in the last innins he played vs karnataka i guess
tiwari is ok but pujara sure doesnt look flashy but boy those nos cant be all wrong. the last person who had such a run of scores was vvs and before him dravid

amit said:
:13: :20: ,are you sure? you talkin about future Dravid?

adarsh_bang said:
i watched that innings on tv... the recent 204* one... pretty ok... but not mindblowing or something.... this man will soon be in contention for a spot in the test side if he continues scoring like this...
why only tests.. he scores damn fast in odis as well around 80 SR which is not bad and would get better . kohli himself scores at 85. when sachin goes pujara is ideal no 3 . then we can shunt raina at 6 for the hitting power

Seen Sheen said:
:13: :20: ,are you sure? you talkin about future Dravid?
sharma always looks good technique wise and when he gets it together everyone finds it hard to get him out. But unfortunately his brain implosions occur more often

pun500 said:
why only tests.. he scores damn fast in odis as well around 80 SR which is not bad and would get better . kohli himself scores at 85. when sachin goes pujara is ideal no 3 . then we can shunt raina at 6 for the hitting power

pun have ypu been offered any job as a selector yet?? if not you must be offered... you'll do a gr8 job :)
and anyone got any clue what's happened of kaif ???

giri26 said:
I guess India will somehow manage in the batting department in the future but the major concern for India is their bowling. India don't seem to unearth half a decent bowler to win matches for the country. Ishant seems out of depth and for sure needs a break to work on his bowling. I hope that we dont go back to Nehra which will surely be a backward step.

India needs to try Tyagi for sure as he cannot do worse than the current crop. There is another bowler Abid Nabi who plays for J&K. He was in the news couple of years back but went out of favor since he chose to play in the ICL. He has a decent domestic record with a strike rate below 50 in first class game. He is a tall bowler with decent pace, probably around 140 K's. India need to explore their options and try to pick such talents to represent the team.
how?:13:Nehra isnt someone who is 33 or 34,he is around 29 and bowling quite well andprobably the best indian seamer atm..he deserves a test spot..and sorry to say this,but Abid Nabi is just another slow medium Indian pacer.I saw him in ICL.He was barely touching 130ks there..

Seen Sheen said:
how?:13:Nehra isnt someone who is 33 or 34,he is around 29 and bowling quite well andprobably the best indian seamer atm..he deserves a test spot..and sorry to say this,but Abid Nabi is just another slow medium Indian pacer.I saw him in ICL.He was barely touching 130ks there..
nope nabi is back and touching 138-140ks ...nehra wont last a test match. he is mr glass. nehras problem was never performance he was always decent but he never lasted long enough

adarsh_bang said:
pun have ypu been offered any job as a selector yet?? if not you must be offered... you'll do a gr8 job :)
and anyone got any clue what's happened of kaif ???
look its not just playing selector..its more than that . you got to blood a guy when he is amongst runs.

as far as our bowlers are concerned develop a pack and let them play odis. Differentiate between test and odi prospects.

kaif is scoring but is too far now in the pecking order. he had his chances.

as the domestic scene goes

pacers
tyagi
yo mahesh
abid nabi
rp
ishant
munaf
umesh yadav

..can be tried in the third seamers slot alternatively (and 1 2 seamers can be rotated with (zak pk nehra)

batters we have dime a dozen
pujara kohli sharma raina mukund vijay dhawan tiwary pandey uthappa...etc

spinners
parmar (he has developed the carrom ball as i saw but not accurate with it)
iqbal abdulla
chawla
ojha
mishra ...etc can be tried

Last edited:
India has always been a hot bead for batting talent. But I doubt even they can produce 3 all time greats like they did in 1996 with Ganguly, Laxman, and Dravid all coming from the same generation. From the current lot, you can expect one or two to rise but not three or four.

Inswinger said:
India has always been a hot bead for batting talent. But I doubt even they can produce 3 all time greats like they did in 1996 with Ganguly, Laxman, and Dravid all coming from the same generation. From the current lot, you can expect one or two to rise but not three or four.
laxman / ganguly can be replaced reasonably easily
dravid is very difficult ... that is why i like pujara a lot . like dravid he never throws away his wicket , plays within his zone only and by geez he doesnt stop scoring 100 after 100 and most of them big ones . triples doubles etc

pun500 said:
nope nabi is back and touching 138-140ks ...nehra wont last a test match. he is mr glass. nehras problem was never performance he was always decent but he never lasted long enough
its all about how hungry you are for cricket..not being able to play for India for several years,I am sure he would be itching to make it to the test side and would do whatever it takes to cement his place in all forms of the game ..

C.Pujara problem is like azhar ali performing in domestic level but not making in national side.

Pujara was once touted as dravid replacement in test .

Seen Sheen said:
its all about how hungry you are for cricket..not being able to play for India for several years,I am sure he would be itching to make it to the test side and would do whatever it takes to cement his place in all forms of the game ..
i guess
he would have known icl is just for money and if he has no scope playing for india or domestic why try to bowl fast get injured and lose out on icl paycheck. makes sense

Ayyub said:
C.Pujara problem is like azhar ali performing in domestic level but not making in national side.

Pujara was once touted as dravid replacement in test .
the only difference being india has the batting and only yuvis spot is under scanner. whereas for pak barring yousuf/younis all spots are up for grabs

azhar ali is only avg 40 ..surely there must be some one better

pun500 said:
the only difference being india has the batting and only yuvis spot is under scanner. whereas for pak barring yousuf/younis all spots are up for grabs

azhar ali is only avg 40 ..surely there must be some one better

You tend to forget that if India's first line national bowling attack is so poor, the domestic bowling lineups are equivalent to the gulli bowlers in Pakistan.

Was he in same batch as Dhawan (sorry about the name but it sounded like this). Dhawan might have been in the U-19 Cup before Pujara. He was also good in U-19 and then came to Pakistan with India 'A' and I think scored runs. I was waiting for him to go up.

The problem with international cricket is that it is very hard to replace an established player. Look at the batting lineup and you have players playing for 7-10 years except Ghambir which was an open spot as Jaffer and someone else (Karthik etc) failed. Players can be lost in that time period

very impressive stats. I hope he will turn out to be successful batsman and conitnue the fine tradition of Indian batting.

12thMan said:
Was he in same batch as Dhawan (sorry about the name but it sounded like this). Dhawan might have been in the U-19 Cup before Pujara. He was also good in U-19 and then came to Pakistan with India 'A' and I think scored runs. I was waiting for him to go up.

The problem with international cricket is that it is very hard to replace an established player. Look at the batting lineup and you have players playing for 7-10 years except Ghambir which was an open spot as Jaffer and someone else (Karthik etc) failed. Players can be lost in that time period

no he was with rohit sharma ..dhawan never played u-19 wc dhawan is around 24 ie 2 years elder to pujara.

dhawan avgs 47 while pujara avgs 57

yea but we will have vacancies soon ie in 2 years time (by that time pujara will be 24 about the same age as dravid to make debut)

Back