Choke: Define in your own Words

The Saffer influence was bound to rub off on England sooner or later.

Maybe they did but its important to note the teams that win these type of major trophies never choke.

England choked in CT 2004 in England and now in CT 2013 that too in England.

choke is when you need 20 from 15 with ishant bowling under pressure after giving 8 runs in two balls and you have 6 wickets in hand and you still lose by 6 runs with only two wickets in hand. :p :p

England choked twice in Champions Trophy...

choke is when you need 20 from 15 with ishant bowling under pressure after giving 8 runs in two balls and you have 6 wickets in hand and you still lose by 6 runs with only two wickets in hand. :p :p

No... you are wrong... apparently this is "quality" cricket and the England batsman were under enormous pressure by the Indians created pressure, this is not a choke as per freelance... rofl...

When you need 20 from 16 with 6 wickets in the bag. Thats a choke

No thats not just a regular choke ... thats a short , sharp , quick but painless death by shooting yourselves in the proverbial "you know where" with a bazooka. I mean I dont recall Ishant Sharma talking two wickets over a Week ... never mind 2 balls in the same over same match. ***

:70:

saffer influence on england..., they needed their own players. :p

No we were missing a saffa. Had KP been fit we may well have chased it down. He'd have taken it to the spinners. It might backfire but he'd have gone after them.

No thats not just a regular choke ... thats a short , sharp , quick but painless death by shooting yourselves in the proverbial "you know where" with a bazooka. I mean I dont recall Ishant Sharma talking two wickets over a Week ... never mind 2 balls in the same over same match. ***

:70:
No, it's a choke plain and simple. With the match in the bag, they found a way to lose it.

Choke - Manage to find defeat from the jaws of victory.
England had their third major Choke. 1987 WC , CT 2004 and now CT 2013. They should have have won all 3 finals.

Choke is Buttler :facepalm:

Still can't get over that ugly heave against Jadeja. He should be sent back to domestic game to learn a thing or two about cricket.

Kieswetter/Davies/Bairstow as keeper for the limited overs. And stick with them until 2015.

Choke is Buttler :facepalm:

Still can't get over that ugly heave against Jadeja. He should be sent back to domestic game to learn a thing or two about cricket.

Kieswetter/Davies/Bairstow as keeper for the limited overs. And stick with them until 2015.

but TBH it was started by Morgan & Bopara...

11 runs required from 12 balls with 6 wickets in hand and see what SA did :facepalm:

Last edited:
south african team can define choke better than anyone out here

11 off 12 needed with 6 wickets in hand, still manage to lose by 1 run :amla

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2010/engine/current/match/463151.html

When Duminy got out they needed 70 runs in 25 overs ... and when smith got out it was 39 runs from 18 overs ... but they still lost.

But this is the best of the Lot (in 2007 World T20 ) and is actually very hilarious ... I remember laughing my but off watching that match :

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/287876.html

In 2007 World T20 last qroup match vs India they needed 154 to win and finish top of their group, or just score 142 to still finish on top of the group or 126 to just qualify to the semis .... instead they got bundled out for 116 and got ejected from the World T20 altogether.

Their 2011 Worldcup QF loss to NZ was epic too.

Last edited:
Well choke has been defined by two great professors of cricket. The south africans and the pakistanis. need 11 from 12 lose by 1 runs in this day and need 6 from 32 balls with 5 wickets in hand and go all out and lose,

Well choke has been defined by two great professors of cricket. The south africans and the pakistanis. need 11 from 12 lose by 1 runs in this day and need 6 from 32 balls with 5 wickets in hand and go all out and lose,

The founding fathers of this game also defined it in CT final.

i dont think NZ choked today a if you lose against a bowler of Steyn's quality thats not a choke also the target was not piece of cake :98:

i dont think NZ choked today a if you lose against a bowler of Steyn's quality thats not a choke also the target was not piece of cake :98:

7 off 6 needed with 5 wickets remaining mate. Doesn't matter who is bowling, if that is not a choke then I don't know what is.

Whoever gets choked refuses to acknowledge :)))

We have witnessed two mega chokes in two days. Period.

7 off 6 needed with 5 wickets remaining mate. Doesn't matter who is bowling, if that is not a choke then I don't know what is.

Yeah Tbh if your lot did that everyone would have pulled out the choker card

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Choking is losing from a seemingly unassailable position. 7 runs with 5 wickets in 6 balls is near unassailable, you just have to get bat on ball and run :)). Takes nothing away from the bowler but if NZ hadn't panicked and tried to hit the ball for six they would've won. However 65 off 50 with bowlers of Ajmal/Gul/Afridi's calibre still to come ... not a choke brosephs.

NZ played rubbish cricket in last over... The first ball was there to guide it to vacant third man region and earn an easy four (outside off, full length).. and Ronchi just edged it to keeper...

The next 2 balls wasted by McCullum in search of becoming a hero...

Than it was 7 runs left in 3 balls.. At this point, you'd back Steyn to get things done...and he did it in style...

I will label it as a choke if SA can't defend almost 300 in 43 overs with bowlers like Steyn, Morkel and Tahir

SA was one bowler short but even thn their main bowlers were going for runs so can't blame it only on 5th bowler

Nobody chocked today, was just one of the great world cup matches we have seen, both teams made the occasional mistake but there was far more brilliance than stuff ups from both sides but in sport you have to have a loser and a winner.

All you can say is congrats to the kiwis and commiserations to the south africans.

South Africans began to drop catches and began to miss easy run out chance. It is nothing but choking on the verge of a certain win.

Hardly a choke today. It was a evenly matched game going till the last 2-3 balls.

I will say that it was a very poor captaincy by AB to not give Tahir next over when he bowled maiden and looked like picking a wicket in each ball. Then you miss few run outs. So over all not a good cricket but NZ was never out of the game and then suddenly won it. They were in control for majority of 2nd inning.

South Africans began to drop catches and began to miss easy run out chance. It is nothing but choking on the verge of a certain win.

Kiwis missed chances when they bowled and lost crucial wickets when the target looked comfortable, reality is both sides made some mistakes that could have cost them the match but nz finished with their noses just slightly ahead but does that then undo everything good SA did in the match?

Why is it so horrible to just say the match was a classic that could have easily gone either way?

south africa did choke look at their fielding today they would of won match if they didnt miss easy run out and drop catches

When you enter in the match with a fav tag and post a total of 230 on board in 20 overs with a far better bowling attack to defend it but still endup on the losing side :yk

Steyn seems to be choking he hasn't even bowled out his full quota and he's the leader of the attack.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Steyn seems to be choking he hasn't even bowled out his full quota and he's the leader of the attack.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

His career seems to be over i think he will retire this year just wanted to play ICC event one last time.

Choke: Losing from a strong, winning position.

No total is safe in Wankhede. So, we might be tempted into thinking that SA were in winning position halfway into the match, when in fact they weren't. Besides, it is never wise to judge the outcome of a match before the other team has even begun their innings. SA were losing the game from the first over they bowled.

England's batsmen deserve some respect. That opening pair has been going strong for quite a while now. Right up there with NZ's, IMO.

BUMP

This time they "outsourced" the choking to some other team ... i.e let SL decide their fate and they choked on SA's behalf taking down SAF with them .... :))

Choke is when you can't score 2 runs in 3 balls with two of your "best" finishers at the crease.

Even worse you have had a premature celebration

Choke is when you cobra your way through a tourney but get DKed when a win is all but in the bag but get mongoosed over

Choke is swallowing back the tears when you first lean on Oz then Eng then SA to India over but are left with bitterness that you all your teams have bottled it

Choke is hoping to sweep shot but been checked mate.

There are two types of choke

1) Self-induced choke
2) Opposition-induced choke

This was a combination of both. I say SA is partly responsible because of the team structure. This is a bad team structure. Nobody knows this better than an Indiain fan. Even most recently our b team struggled to score 35 in 30 balls with 6 wickets in hand. Because opposition was one or two wickets away from rank tail. We lost by 4 runs in West Indies.

Opposition in the sense the sheer knowledge of 2 overs in the tank for Bumrah made them shiver and lose the plot. They bowled brilliantly to further their misery.

SA captain choked in the field after India were 3 down he decided to bowl the next over tried to get a cheap over in were India took 6 single’s happily. Bring ur best pacer finish the game off.

There are two types of choke

1) Self-induced choke
2) Opposition-induced choke

This was a combination of both. I say SA is partly responsible because of the team structure. This is a bad team structure. Nobody knows this better than an Indiain fan. Even most recently our b team struggled to score 35 in 30 balls with 6 wickets in hand. Because opposition was one or two wickets away from rank tail. We lost by 4 runs in West Indies.

Opposition in the sense the sheer knowledge of 2 overs in the tank for Bumrah made them shiver and lose the plot. They bowled brilliantly to further their misery.
To paraphrase immortal Virus, "Definition do, gyaan naahi" 😂

3 Idiots for the uninitiated

To paraphrase immortal Virus, "Definition do, gyaan naahi" 😂

3 Idiots for the uninitiated
You see the end and you falter. But south africa has expanded the definition of it. THey failed to calculate NRR. THey failed to lose gracefully (which would have put them in 2007 semi final)

Serene progression until a point and then the occassion gets to you, it is choking.

south african team can define choke better than anyone out here

11 off 12 needed with 6 wickets in hand, still manage to lose by 1 run :amla
11 year old comment but still quite relevant. 27 off 28 needed with 6 wickets in hand and South Africa find a way to lose by 7 runs

Marco Jansen at 7 and Keshav Maharaj at 8 is like 1 position too high for them. Their lower order is pathetic and that's why they rarely seem to win when chasing. They are more of a bat 1st, get 200+ in T20I and 300+ in ODI and win type of a team but will struggle to chase 150+ in T20I and 240+ in ODI

Choking is losing from a comfortable winning position.

Losing a "30 off 30 with 6 wickets in hand" game is definitely choking.

Choke is used against some teams while unlucky is used against others. I think they are both the same. In a game of small margins, you need luck to win

Back