Congratulations to Sri Lanka for winning the ACC Asia Cup 2022

Sherlock

Test Debutant
Runs
Talking about Pak is a completely different topic altogether so I won't even bother.

The credit goes to SL and their captain and coach.

Absolutely brilliant batting to get to that total, then their bowling and fielding overexposed Pakistan's frailty of taking singles.

Well done to them.

When no one believed in Sri Lanka, they ended up winning the Asia Cup

When the Asia Cup started, Sri Lanka would end up losing to Afghanistan. Experts had immediately predicted that the final will be between Pakistan and India. Some even thought Afghanistan might be the dark horse.

But as we moved to the super 4s, Sri Lanka would take its revenge against the Afghans, and than they would defeat India and throw them out of the tournament. A dead rubber against Pakistan would be played where they again gave their 100% and won the game.

Tonight, in the final, the team that no one expected in the final, ended up becoming the best team ASIAN T20 team.

They did it while losing the toss and defending a total in Dubai.

They did it when they were 60-6 and were about to crumble but Rajapaksa and Hasaranga bought them back in the game and posted a mammoth 170 score.

Sri Lanka has had its own political issues aswell, and as the host, they couldn't arrange this asia cup in Sri Lanka and had to host it in UAE. While one Rajapaksa destroyed their economy and country another gave its nation hope tonight!

Today with this win, hopefully the people of Sri Lanka have something be happy about. They can take this match and event as an inspiration that when things are not looking good, you dont just give up, but you survive and fight back. The only way to survive is to fight back!

Well done SL :)

SL were 50+/5 and then went on to make 170/6. That is something our middle order batsmen only can dream of. Well played SL.
[MENTION=135038]Major[/MENTION], ab baat kar, you were making fun of SL. You have made fool of yourself once again.

I backed them even before tournament, and they won the trophy.. happy.. actually I'm surprised to see lot many people think very poorly of them..

Last edited:
When the Asia Cup started, Sri Lanka would end up losing to Afghanistan. Experts had immediately predicted that the final will be between Pakistan and India. Some even thought Afghanistan might be the dark horse.

But as we moved to the super 4s, Sri Lanka would take its revenge against the Afghans, and than they would defeat India and throw them out of the tournament. A dead rubber against Pakistan would be played where they again gave their 100% and won the game.

Tonight, in the final, the team that no one expected in the final, ended up becoming the best team ASIAN T20 team.

They did it while losing the toss and defending a total in Dubai.

They did it when they were 60-6 and were about to crumble but Rajapaksa and Hasaranga bought them back in the game and posted a mammoth 170 score.

Sri Lanka has had its own political issues aswell, and as the host, they couldn't arrange this asia cup in Sri Lanka and had to host it in UAE. While one Rajapaksa destroyed their economy and country another gave its nation hope tonight!

Today with this win, hopefully the people of Sri Lanka have something be happy about. They can take this match and event as an inspiration that when things are not looking good, you dont just give up, but you survive and fight back. The only way to survive is to fight back!

Agreed and I would add that having a coach who understands the modern game will always get the most out of his players unlike Pakistani coaches.

Well played Sri Lanka. The hosts thoroughly deserve the cup

SL have delivered epic phaintas to everyone.

Their batters are fearless, their bowling is tenacious and their fielding is spectacular.

Deserving Champions!

sri-lanka-sinhala.gif

I honestly still do not believe they are better than India/ Pak if they play a best of 5 series.
Luck and good form favoured them , good for them and their country.

What luck yar? They defeated india, they defeated pakistan back to back, they defeated bangladesh and they also defeated afghanistan.

Apart from bangladesh, each other side has a star t20 player you need to survive against.

They survived rashid khan, mujeeb and fazalhaq, against india they survived their spinners and than against pakistan they survived against our pacers.

They even won by defending. You habe to give them credit and accept that they are the best asian sode in t20

Well deserved as they have the best team with very little deficiencies.

Something the so called power houses can learn.

Congratulations Sri Lanka. The nicest subcontinent team and they actually finished first in this tournament so well done.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka. They don't have the massive, overexcited fanbases of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh or a media machine to hype their players to the moon.

They are a small island with a collapsed economy, an administration full of political appointees and crooks, and lack the big name superstars of the past.

Yet they've recovered brilliantly from their opening defeat to Afghanistan. They fielded superbly and have several promising youngsters with potential to serve them for many years to come. Whereas Pakistan were content playing 90s-era comfort zone cricket, their attacking mindset was rewarded.

They've been Pakistan's most loyal friend by a distance in international cricket. They toured when nobody else wanted to in 2009 and got nearly killed thanks to our sleeping security agencies. They toured us the most in exile in UAE. They were the first team to tour us for Tests in 2019.

Fantastic story of triumphing against the odds.

Congratulations. Their spinners were always going to run circles around this Pakistani side.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka. Richly deserved. Throughly professional performance and an incredible turnaround.

They were exceptional from firstly from being 5 down and then excellent bowling and fielding. Well played SL

Congratulations to SriLanka very happy for them they thoroughly deserved this as they were the best side in this tournament by quite a margin. All teams can learn from their never give up approach.

Well done Sri Lanka. I rather you beat Pakistan in the final than India.

Well deserved. You played like champs after the initial loss to Afghanistan.

On a side note the highlight of Pakistan's tournament was Naseem Shah knocking out Afghanistan and India, in 2 consecutive sixes.

out thought pakistan at every juncture, were running 2 overs ahead of the game, knew exactly how to counter pak and exploited pak's strategic timidness.

I'm not sold on the combo however, apart from 2 or 3 batsman the rest are accumulators like Pakistan. and smarter teams will strategies better against them.

hasaranga is a match winner, theekshana I'm not sure about. fielding and fitness was top notch and made at least 15 run diff vs Pakistan.

don't see em being a top team at wt20 however.

During the game vs India, Shastri had said - there's something about adversity that makes a team play beyond what you think they can (roughly along those lines). I was at my farm, but rains and intermittent internet made watching this game a shaky proposition. Drove 300 km to make it to Bengaluru and watch this team pull out one of the most memorable performances. The team and fans at the receiving end made it more special :warner

Congratulations to Sri Lanka. They don't have the massive, overexcited fanbases of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh or a media machine to hype their players to the moon.

They are a small island with a collapsed economy, an administration full of political appointees and crooks, and lack the big name superstars of the past.

Yet they've recovered brilliantly from their opening defeat to Afghanistan. They fielded superbly and have several promising youngsters with potential to serve them for many years to come. Whereas Pakistan were content playing 90s-era comfort zone cricket, their attacking mindset was rewarded.

They've been Pakistan's most loyal friend by a distance in international cricket. They toured when nobody else wanted to in 2009 and got nearly killed thanks to our sleeping security agencies. They toured us the most in exile in UAE. They were the first team to tour us for Tests in 2019.

Man, I hope this win brings a smile to Sri Lankan children!

What a beautiful story. Kudos to Sri Lankan players for such an excellent victory.

What are you on about?, Where did i make fun of lanka cricket?

What humble pies, i wrote a post appreciating the fight back that sri lanka put.

You seem to have an issue with me and dont know how to take out the frustration. I would suggest you to breath in and out

Beta, you completey wrote off SL. Ab jou dil chahe boul. Here are some of your posts before the final:

Major said:
A good final ruined. India should not have lost to sri lanka. That was just ridiculous. Was hoping for a Afghanistan vs Pakistan final, but Afghanistan bottled all three games.

You have tp give credit to srilanka that with the kind of players they had they still made it to the finals.

Major said:
No they are not (a good T20 side). Saw them at the world t20.

They have no pace attack. I was hoping they would atleast bring that spinner in jayasuriya.

India bottled the match to them, lets hope pakistan doesnt make the match on sunday a mockery. Hopefully we achieve an easy asia cup win this time around

Deleted some posts above.

This thread is to congratulate the Asia Cup winners, not indulge personal vendettas.

During the game vs India, Shastri had said - there's something about adversity that makes a team play beyond what you think they can (roughly along those lines). I was at my farm, but rains and intermittent internet made watching this game a shaky proposition. Drove 300 km to make it to Bengaluru and watch this team pull out one of the most memorable performances. The team and fans at the receiving end made it more special :warner

Where were you 300km outside of everywhere?

Lovely post :)

Well done Sri Lanka. I rather you beat Pakistan in the final than India.

Well deserved. You played like champs after the initial loss to Afghanistan.

On a side note the highlight of Pakistan's tournament was Naseem Shah knocking out Afghanistan and India, in 2 consecutive sixes.

Correction: I mean I rather prefer Pakistan lost to SL than India in a final.

Beta, you completey wrote off SL. Ab jou dil chahe boul. Here are some of your posts before the final:

Looks like you comprehension issues. I would advice you the amount of time you spent digging my posts, you could also spend the same amount reading them and understanding it.

Read the last line, the kind of players they have got, YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO SRI LANKA.

Also for the second post, no where did i insult them. They are yet to qualify for the world t20 2022. There pace attack is not good enough for australia.

Also, read the last line that pakistan doesnt make a mockery.

You really need to calm down, by wriing beta in your post as an old man to take out your frustrations of losing.... :)

Looks like you comprehension issues. I would advice you the amount of time you spent digging my posts, you could also spend the same amount reading them and understanding it.

Read the last line, the kind of players they have got, YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT TO SRI LANKA.

Also for the second post, no where did i insult them. They are yet to qualify for the world t20 2022. There pace attack is not good enough for australia.

Also, read the last line that pakistan doesnt make a mockery.

You really need to calm down, by wriing beta in your post as an old man to take out your frustrations of losing.... :)

Lol, you wrote one line and forgot the rest. You didn't rate them. You kept babbling about Afghanistan and India and acted as SL were a nothing team.

I usually don't care much about posters and don't write so much in reply to them. But you try to play smart here on this forum, picking up a word or a sentece from people's posts and try to make them go in your favour. That is a rubbish tactic. And that is why you have so many posts here on this forum latelly.

I just wanted to show you the mirror and deep inside you know why I am replying.

I don't care much of about the defeat today, the better team won. I have watched cricket since 1988 so I know how to handle the defeats, no worries at all.

Anyways no more replies to you.

Congratulations indeed.

What a turnout it has been for them!

They got thrashed in the first game. But, came back strongly and won 5 in a row.

They deserved the trophy.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka

As someone who saw great potential in this team in the T20 World Cup a year ago, even though they had failed to qualify for the Semi-finals, I'm most delighted for Sri Lanka. If any team out there wants to learn how to bat in T20 cricket, a format of only 120 deliveries, they should simply watch this Final. Sri Lanka kept going on a leather-hunt, kept losing wickets, kept getting pushed out of the match at the fall of every wicket, but, in the end, whereas five out of their batsmen failed miserably, the approach clicked for three of them and they took the game away from Pakistan. One of the greatest comebacks ever that you'll see in T20I match, let alone a tournament final! What admirable stuff from this fearless young team full of brave cricketers! Most delighted for Hasaranga, who is one of my favourite cricketers, and Rajapaksa was plain awesome. Some of his shots reminded me so much of the greatest Sanath Jayasuriya. What a bunch of brilliant cricketers!

In Test cricket, a batsman is heavily criticised and even mocked if he gets out by slogging in the air, and the primary reason for that is the lack of respect for the format. Similarly, I personally find it as a matter of lack of respect for the format if you bat in T20 cricket in an overly sedate and cautious manner. This format is not for half cowardly batsmen who show very little game awareness about the team`s run-rate or the required run-rate. This is a format which needs Nawaz, Shadab, Rajapaksa, Hasaranga, etc., and not batsmen like Rizwan or Babar.

Pakistan batted the complete opposite of how Sri Lanka did tonight. Iftikhar was sent in at number four, in a match of 120 balls, to bat cautiously so that him and Rizwan should leave the team requiring 100 runs of nine overs. The partnership made absolutely no sense whatsoever! It seemed as if they both were playing a different game altogether. I know that the lower-order hitters will be blamed and criticised heavily here, but remember that they were first unleashed when around only 41 balls were left! They were left to wait in the dressing-room to see Rizwan and Iftikhar single-handedly put Pakistan out of the match. Both of them played absolutely horrible innings!

After the T20 World Cup last November, when most of the criticism and focus was reserved for Hasan Ali for that famous dropped catch, I made this point even then that neither is Pakistan`s approach right for the format and nor is the top-order meant for the format. I made the point even then that Pakistan will face issues in the upcoming T20 World Cup if they don't sort out this issue, and the tournament is beginning the next month and the issue has robbed Pakistan of another big match within 10 months. A day before the match, I predicted that any target over 160 would put Pakistan in difficulties, and their top-order and their approach was the primary reason behind myself saying this.

Congratulations, Sri Lanka! They played like champions! Here's hoping that they go a long way even in T20 World Cup next month.

Thing is when you watch a few mins of lankan batting, you do feel that you are watching some top class batsmen there. Whether Asanka or Rajapaksa or Dhananjaya, their stroke making is of highest quality, which means Lankan team is not short of talent.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Now, that's how champions celebrate! &#55356;&#57225;<a href="https://t.co/ruP7lLtgnH">https://t.co/ruP7lLtgnH</a>!<br><br>➡️Send us your celebration video by using the hashtag <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RoaringForGlory?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RoaringForGlory</a> ! <a href="https://t.co/LpijSdLaAq">pic.twitter.com/LpijSdLaAq</a></p>— Sri Lanka Cricket &#55356;&#56817;&#55356;&#56816; (@OfficialSLC) <a href="https://twitter.com/OfficialSLC/status/1569058877374894080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great performance. Glad they are hitting the form before world cup and they will be a team to look out for (yes they will qualify).

Would love to have the old competitive Lankan team back in world cricket. Honestly it doesn't even hurt knowing Sri Lanka won :), I have always liked and supported them after Pakistan cricket team. Congrats to Sri Lankans, throughly deserve the cup as they were the best team of the tournament 👍

Top performance but the best was their fielding and catching, they are the best in that department in South Asia by a mile right now.

They wanted this win way more than any other team in South Asia , they have a lot of Asia cups, so this isn’t shocking.

Hats off to Sri Lanka. No one can grudge them winning the Asia Cup. Paint the town blue lads enjoying and partying until the wee hours. Both Pak and Indian fans will be happy that is a very rare thing:abbas2

Very heartening performance by Sri Lanka. Reminds me of the glory days of Lankam cricket . SLC should benefit from this .

Most people don't realise that Sri Lankan cricket has barely any money. They have a TV rights deal with SonyLiv that is laughable . It's less than the worth of 2 IPL games or sonething ridiculous like that.

With performances like these , I hope SLC can secure better TV and digital rights deals and better sponsorships ss well.

Well done to the emerald isle. Hope it truly is the beginning of a golden era for them.

hasaranga is a match winner, theekshana I'm not sure about. fielding and fitness was top notch and made at least 15 run diff vs Pakistan.

Theekshana is their trump card, like Mujeeb.. they both Bowl in pp and put pressure on batsman right away..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Celebrations galore among the DP World <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup</a> 2022 &#55356;&#57286; champions &#55357;&#56490;&#55356;&#57340;&#55358;&#56617;&#55358;&#56691;<a href="https://twitter.com/OfficialSLC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@OfficialSLC</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SLvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SLvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ACC?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ACC</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GetReadyForEpic?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GetReadyForEpic</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup2022?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup2022</a> <a href="https://t.co/xeCONN7onF">pic.twitter.com/xeCONN7onF</a></p>— AsianCricketCouncil (@ACCMedia1) <a href="https://twitter.com/ACCMedia1/status/1569102465777422337?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 11, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Theekshana is their trump card, like Mujeeb.. they both Bowl in pp and put pressure on batsman right away..

Pakistan showed theekshana too much respect, yes he has variations but he doesn't spin the ball much either way. same goes for mujeeb, they both have good control but Pakistan played them excessively cautiously.

as far as i can tell there is no real difference between mujeeb and mendis, maybe mujeeb has a quicker arm, both bowl carrom balls, carrom googlies, and some off breaks, Pakistan had no issue playing mendis, but mujeeb looks like he's lobbing grenades.

think it has more to do with lack of skill from Pakistan imo.

Heartliest congratulations to Lanka for a well deserved win. This team has been a revelation slowly and studily inching towards glory under Chris silverwood able guidance. I loved the brand of fearless cricket they played also impressive were the young rookie pacers.

They have very good batting depth and a cool leader in shanka, Rajapaskha, guna, asalanka they are all very good. with chamira and parera coming back this team will surly surprise many.

Forgot to add the sumtous strokeplay of de silva against rampaging pakistan players. This guy is so good against the pacers. Each of those shots are worth watching in loop

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#55357;&#56568; Snapshots from the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup</a> victory parade<br> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RoaringForGlory?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RoaringForGlory</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZGIEov8OxL">pic.twitter.com/ZGIEov8OxL</a></p>— Sri Lanka Cricket &#55356;&#56817;&#55356;&#56816; (@OfficialSLC) <a href="https://twitter.com/OfficialSLC/status/1569522027647860736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 13, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ICC Hall of Famer Mahela Jayawardena believes Sri Lanka's stunning triumph at the Asia Cup has changed expectations and the island nation should be zeroed in on winning the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup starting in October.

Jayawardena discussed with great pride his former's side recent transformation with host Sanjana Ganesan on the latest episode of The ICC Review.

"If they take the confidence of what they achieved in the last (T20) World Cup and then now at the Asia Cup, I think they shouldn’t be looking at anything other than going all the way and winning the World Cup," Jayawardena said on The ICC Review.

"I mean that’s the attitude to have and this is a group I feel that will play with that no fear and no extra luggage on them either so just go out there and enjoy their cricket and play.

"They did well in Australia in November when they toured in the T20s. They really performed well. So if they take all that into account, I think they are in a good space now."

Things didn't look great for Sri Lanka when they lost their opening match of the Asia Cup to Afghanistan, but five consecutive wins - including one upset triumph over India and two quality victories against Pakistan - helped catapult Dasun Shanaka's side to success at the six-team competition.

Jayawardena singled out the performance of star all-rounder Wanindu Hasaranga for his efforts in claiming the Player of the Tournament award and saved special praise for the leadership provided by Shanaka.

But the former Sri Lanka skipper said it was an even performance from the squad that ultimately lifted them to the title, and provided plenty of joy to the people back home who are still battling with the ongoing economic crisis currently engulfing the country.

"I don’t think anyone gave them the chance of winning the tournament, but personally, I knew they had the capabilities," Jayawardena said.

"They were knocking on the door. Just they needed that confidence I think. You know once they got that, they just played some brilliant cricket. I think there were no superstars, it was a team effort. Everyone chipped in.

"The people here were starving for excitement for some time and usually, it is the cricket team who brings that for them but we had the netball team winning the Asian Netball Championship on the same day which was brilliant for them. And it was a great sporting day for all of us. I think everyone enjoyed it and just sitting and watching was just brilliant. I really thoroughly enjoyed (both) the finals."

Sri Lanka have just two warm-up games in Melbourne prior to their opening clash at the T20 World Cup, where they take on Namibia in a first-round match in Geelong.

Sri Lanka starts their T20 World Cup campaign away from the competition favourites in the round one against Namibia, Netherlands and UAE prior to the Super 12 stage of the event, which Jayawardena says could be an advantage.

"The start of the World Cup is going to be very crucial for them as they need to get the momentum and get themselves adjusted to the conditions,” Jayawardena noted.

"But I’m very confident that they are capable of doing it."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2790380

Back