Cricket bat toe question.

90MPH

Test Debutant
Runs
How long should this part of the bat be knocked for ? I mean some bats I feel a lot of discomfort even If I have knocked the bottom part for around 45 mins to an hour.

Yes sure a cricket bat toe should be weak as it has the least wood but someone told me it is more to do with poor handle no matter how much you knock in the bottom. Does anyone know if this Is this is true ?
Cause as most in here know that Pakistani bat handles are thin and not that great (bat handles should be the most expensive part of a bat).

I don't think handle has anything to do with toe to be honest.

I would say knock it for like 2 hours maybe.

Which bat are we talking about here ? TRD?

I mean some bats I feel a lot of discomfort even If I have knocked the bottom part for around 45 mins to an hour.

Firstly, if you are hitting the toe so much - you need to work on your batting!

seriously man, describe ur knocking in process- Wat r u doing with the bottom of the bats to feel so much "discomfort" -Just kiddin with you!

Sometimes the toe end of the bat hasn't got enough wood on it (e.g. MB bats sometimes this really thin toe in some of their bats, Impala bats in aus have no wood behind toe at all!!)

The wood is pressed and ends up sounding even stiffer because it doesnt have enough power to push the ball. Also if hit repeatedly with a ball it can break the toe sometimes...

thinner Handles can make it feel worse - not enough rubbers (or not enough high quality rubber) that go into the handle- so not enough SHOCK ABSORPTION from the impact of the ball. Even the quality of the cane can make it feel more stiffer. (adding to the discomfort!)

Here is what I would do...
if there is a toe guard - take it off. Lightly sand the bottom and around the toe end area of bat....

Oil the toe end of the bat- little amounts twice - half a teaspoon or so- not more! let it sit for a day or two. knock it a bit more (at least another hour) and then put fibre tape around it.

Last edited:
I don't think handle has anything to do with toe to be honest.

I would say knock it for like 2 hours maybe.

Which bat are we talking about here ? TRD?

Yeah the TRD in particular though the mddle is amazing. Also my friend bought a ihsan Lynx - more or less the same problem.

Cricketismylife - well I am a bowler so maybe that explains my mistimed shots lol.

Anyway some really knowledgeable useful advice there, thanx a lot. As you state it is a combination of factors.

Cricketismylife - well I am a bowler so maybe that explains my mistimed shots lol.

Anyway some really knowledgeable useful advice there, thanx a lot. As you state it is a combination of factors.

When you hate the way your toe is on the bat, it doesnt matter whether you're a bowler or the batsman. The problem is not with you. Its the toe of the bat and that only. Dont think knocking more will change the way your TRD will play out. You need a bottom heavy bat. Not saying the balls would fly from even the toe of the bat, but atleast you wont feel like "it just doesnt feel right".

Back