CSK v Sunrisers and KKR v RCB | 11th April, 2015 | IPL 8 | Chennai and Kolkata

KKR's 5th spinner is doing a great job here. Another couple of wickets and they are into the tail.

Overrated Cariappa is getting hammered. Poor mans' Ajantha Mendis. Bow's off spin, googly, carrom ball and a medium pace. Nothing Mystery about this lad.

Cariappa looks like South Indian version of Junaid Khan in looks.

[MENTION=137677]Thivagar[/MENTION] It would be not be appropriate to pass judgements on the basis of his first match on the big stage, bowling against Gayle,ABD. He bamboozled many KKR batsmen in the nets.

Not saying he hasn't bowled rubbish, but it is a little too early to decide his pedigree.

[MENTION=137677]Thivagar[/MENTION] It would be not be appropriate to pass judgements on the basis of his first match on the big stage, bowling against Gayle,ABD. He bamboozled many KKR batsmen in the nets.

Not saying he hasn't bowled rubbish, but it is a little too early to decide his pedigree.

You are right, it is too early to call him "overrated" but from what I've seen, he isn't going to play for India. He might be like Ankit Chavan, pick up decent wickets in IPL. He won't trouble many international batsmen(Indian players included. He won't beat any batsmen with his flight(line and length) so turn is his only weapon.

Gayle probably playing his best T20 innings. Not often his innings are useful to the team.

You are right, it is too early to call him "overrated" but from what I've seen, he isn't going to play for India. He might be like Ankit Chavan, pick up decent wickets in IPL. He won't trouble many international batsmen(Indian players included. He won't beat any batsmen with his flight(line and length) so turn is his only weapon.

That part I agree. He is very unlikely to make it to the national team. In fact, he doesn't even make the Karnataka team right now.

Gayle plays with more heart for his IPL side than for his country. Should be banned by WICB, didn't he refuse to sign a contract and take a dig at the team selection before WC?

Gayle plays with more heart for his IPL side than for his country. Should be banned by WICB, didn't he refuse to sign a contract and take a dig at the team selection before WC?

If taking money from IPL deserves a ban, imagine what should be done for players who takes money to sell their country? :amir

Gayle should have scored that century. He came so close and singlehandedly won the game for KKR. He got nervous in the end, there was never a second run , he has hmself to blame for that out.

you cannot call this entertainment, these players when they play for their national teams do not miss sitters.

you can come to your own conclusion.

If taking money from IPL deserves a ban, imagine what should be done for players who takes money to sell their country? :amir

Gayle took taking a dig at his board and refused to be a contracted player, he never runs when he plays for WI and runs his players out due to his laziness. Compare that to how he plays in IPL, sprinting to get his century.

And yes Amir took money to bowl a no-ball, but at least he always has played with heart and given his 100% every time, which Watson even said. Compare that to your country where match fixers become politicians and players hiding behind BCCI after being caught with bookmakers in SL.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/58rcMKGwGCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^^ Hahaha...again you are getting blinded by emotions. Thanks I do not need a youtube link...I know worth of each player and everyone knows who played with how much heart and committment every time :D

On topic, what is wrong if Chris Gayle running hard between the wickets in an IPL game? Is it because it is an Indian Premier league? And you calling a player to be banned because he takes franchise cricket seriously? Do you even know how rediculous it sounds?

Get you jealousy tinted glass off. Because it does not matter what you think. IPL is getting bigger, better and will continue to do so ;-)

That part I agree. He is very unlikely to make it to the national team. In fact, he doesn't even make the Karnataka team right now.

Aka Overrated :yk. I wonder how they choose these players. Im an armchair critic, but for a coach who spent his entire life just on learning spin bowling to get it wrong is surprising.

Aka Overrated :yk. I wonder how they choose these players. Im an armchair critic, but for a coach who spent his entire life just on learning spin bowling to get it wrong is surprising.

T20s is an entirely different proposition.

Even 42 year old Praveen Tambe coudn't make the Mumbai Ranji team but he is very successful in IPL. The RR guys watched him bowl in some local match in Mumbai and Dravid felt he could be very successful for RR.

Judging a guy on debut on two overs against Rampage mode Gayle and AB, one of them in the powerplay is the most unfair way of assessing a young spinner I've ever seen. That too, after he did manage to get the crucial wicket of AB by deceiving him.

you cannot call this entertainment, these players when they play for their national teams do not miss sitters.

you can come to your own conclusion.

South Africa lost the semis because they missed about 6 opportunities in the field. Do you even watch the games?

This cariappa is a crap bowler. KKR should bring Kuldeep Yadav

Because AB and Gayle on full destructive mode hit him a bit? He even got AB out. Seriously, bowling to these guys at peak aggression, anybody can look like a crap bowler.

I am with [MENTION=135134]CricketAnalyst[/MENTION] here.

We need more data.

His bowling must have impressed Knight Riders who asked him to enter the auction. Gautam Gambhir, the team captain and a good player of spin, had failed to read Cariappa consistently and told the team management about this, helping the legspinner's case.

However, Cariappa, known as Carri to his team-mates, confirmed he is primarily a legspinner with a grip that allows him to bowl off breaks and leg breaks.

At 5 feet 11 inches, Cariappa is tall for a spinner and bowls with an orthodox round-arm action. The leg break is his stock ball, and he has variations like the googly and the faster one. His other strength, that could make it difficult for batsmen to read him, is his ability to bowl off-spinners without changing the grip.

Like many keen and talented cricketers in India, Cariappa started performing in tennis-ball cricket. "I was a Sachin fan. But in my bowling I did not copy anyone. I would bowl with my three-finger grip. My coaches found that interesting and asked me to focus on my bowling," Cariappa said.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2015/content/story/833081.html

When Gauti finds it tough to read you, then it means something. Gautam Gambhir is one of the absolute best when it comes to playing spin.

And yes Amir took money to bowl a no-ball, but at least he always has played with heart and given his 100% every time, which Watson even said.
You were going well until this part came in your post.
Is this the same Watson who has given credit to IPL for his return to cricket in 2008 and success?

A fixer can never be better than a player who has had issues with his board. According to your logic Amir is even better than Kevin Pietersen in terms of dedication and playing with heart.

You were going well until this part came in your post.
Is this the same Watson who has given credit to IPL for his return to cricket in 2008 and success?

A fixer can never be better than a player who has had issues with his board. According to your logic Amir is even better than Kevin Pietersen in terms of dedication and playing with heart.

What Amir did was inexcusable, no one really knew what happened so we can only speculate, but it is clear he succumbed to peer pressure from Salman Butt and his spot was in threat. Logically it makes no sense considering that he made significant money from sponsorship deals and was given an offer which was the highest in county history IRRC (£100,00+).

And comparing to Pietersen, he was giving SA bowlers advice on how to get Strauss out during the test match he was playing. That is in my opinion equal, if not worse than anything.

What Amir did was inexcusable, no one really knew what happened so we can only speculate, but it is clear he succumbed to peer pressure from Salman Butt and his spot was in threat. Logically it makes no sense considering that he made significant money from sponsorship deals and was given an offer which was the highest in county history IRRC (�0„5100,00 ).

And comparing to Pietersen, he was giving SA bowlers advice on how to get Strauss out during the test match he was playing. That is in my opinion equal, if not worse than anything.

Was he giving advice on the field or during the match?

During the match, after the days play he was texting the South African on how to get out Strauss etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/24314424

FYI,

"I am confident, in retrospect, that he did not give the South Africans information on how to get me out." Strauss says in the same article.

Also, this is quite funny

What Amir did was inexcusable, no one really knew what happened so we can only speculate, but it is clear he succumbed to peer pressure from Salman Butt and his spot was in threat. Logically it makes no sense considering that he made significant money from sponsorship deals and was given an offer which was the highest in county history IRRC (�0„5100,00 ).

T20s is an entirely different proposition.

Even 42 year old Praveen Tambe coudn't make the Mumbai Ranji team but he is very successful in IPL. The RR guys watched him bowl in some local match in Mumbai and Dravid felt he could be very successful for RR.

Judging a guy on debut on two overs against Rampage mode Gayle and AB, one of them in the powerplay is the most unfair way of assessing a young spinner I've ever seen. That too, after he did manage to get the crucial wicket of AB by deceiving him.

Because in T20, you should have a bowler who can bowl at a batsmen regardless of whether he is going to hack or play sensible at you. Good batsmen will pick his weakness and strength within the first 5 balls, IPL has analysts who will discuss these matters with the bowling coach. Praveen Tambe bowls too quickly, hard to hack him but you can easily score safe runs of him, he is too limited and that is why he isn't playing ranji trophy. Same reason why Narine didn't play many test matches.

You can judge a batsmen after playing 4 balls, you'll know whether he has the "right" techniques or not. Same goes with spinners, Carriappa doesn't have the "right" techniques. AB over estimated Carriappa, he didn't expect a spin bowler to have a medium pace as one of his delivery, supposed to a Flipper, Slider, ABV had no knowledge of Cariappa, so he got out. Cariappa is over rated and he won't "succeed" in IPL.

I am with [MENTION=135134]CricketAnalyst[/MENTION] here.

We need more data.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2015/content/story/833081.html

When Gauti finds it tough to read you, then it means something. Gautam Gambhir is one of the absolute best when it comes to playing spin.

It is a myth that Gambhir is a good player of spin. Swann and hafeez made a mockery of him in 2011WC . So cariappa troubling Gauti is not a big deal.

Cariappa is a crap bowler as of now and will get smashed if persisted. He may get better in future but you just need one over to judge that he does not belongs to this league.

On the other hand Kuldeep yadav is a terrific prospect and impressed every one in U19 as well as in CLT20. Preferring Cariappa over him is frustrating. But i believe in coming matches KKR will go for Kuldeep yadav.

Cariappa or Crapiappa? :misbah

What's so special about him? Would like to see his FC stats.

He hasn't played any senior level cricket apart from this IPL match.

He was impressive in the Karnataka Premier League T20 and thus got spotted, invited to bowl and was picked up when GG found him difficult to face.

It is a myth that Gambhir is a good player of spin. Swann and hafeez made a mockery of him in 2011WC . So cariappa troubling Gauti is not a big deal.

Cariappa is a crap bowler as of now and will get smashed if persisted. He may get better in future but you just need one over to judge that he does not belongs to this league.

On the other hand Kuldeep yadav is a terrific prospect and impressed every one in U19 as well as in CLT20. Preferring Cariappa over him is frustrating. But i believe in coming matches KKR will go for Kuldeep yadav.

No. You cannot judge anybody on one over to Gayle and AB (whom he did beat and get out).

You just don't want him to be good, because of what that would say about cricket.

Because in T20, you should have a bowler who can bowl at a batsmen regardless of whether he is going to hack or play sensible at you. Good batsmen will pick his weakness and strength within the first 5 balls, IPL has analysts who will discuss these matters with the bowling coach. Praveen Tambe bowls too quickly, hard to hack him but you can easily score safe runs of him, he is too limited and that is why he isn't playing ranji trophy. Same reason why Narine didn't play many test matches.

You can judge a batsmen after playing 4 balls, you'll know whether he has the "right" techniques or not. Same goes with spinners, Carriappa doesn't have the "right" techniques. AB over estimated Carriappa, he didn't expect a spin bowler to have a medium pace as one of his delivery, supposed to a Flipper, Slider, ABV had no knowledge of Cariappa, so he got out. Cariappa is over rated and he won't "succeed" in IPL.

If you're point is he won't make it in Tests, I'm not even arguing that. This is a T20 comp, he is playing T20 so the issue is whether he is good at T20.

Also, even if he was good at Test bowling, it would be idiotic to Test bowling in a T20 match, so you could not tell.

If Carri is at Narine/Tambe level, that means he is an elite T20 bowler.

Please understand T20 and Test bowling are different skills. Elite Test bowler like Styen gets pasted all over the ground by domestic players when it comes to T20 and he cannot even find a place in SRH this season. I'm not calling him crap, because there is a format in which he's good. The same applies to these guys.

Cariappa may be a crap bowler but we need more sample set.

Gambhir not a good player of spin?

Dude...he is one of the best. You are way off target. The same Gambhir played Swann on Indian rank turners very well. It was pace bowling that was his issue.

Back