Diego Maradona Reveals How He Robbed England with the Infamous "Hand of God" Goal !!

zushy_786

T20I Debutant
Runs
Maradona reveals how he robbed England with the 'Hand of God'

By Elizabeth Nash in Madrid

Published: 24 August 2005

Diego Maradona has finally come clean about his "Hand of God" goal against England in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, confessing publicly for the first time that he punched the ball into the net with his fist, and that he has never regretted it.

Speaking on his chat show that is enthralling Argentinian viewers, the former Argentina captain confessed that he did indeed score the first goal of the quarter-final "with my left fist".

He deliberately planned the manoeuvre "from the start", because the English goalkeeper Peter Shilton was so tall, while Maradona was only 5ft 7in. "I knew I'd never get past him with a header," said Maradona.

"I want to tell this to Argentinians, and the world; why not?" he boasted, with no trace of remorse, on his chat show La Noche Del 10 (Tonight with 10), where millions of Argentinians have witnessed the comeback of a man who until recently had been reduced to a barely coherent buffoon by drugs.

Breaking a silence of nearly 20 years, Maradona detailed exactly what happened in one of the most controversial moments in footballing history.

"When I saw the linesman was halfway down the pitch, I called on my team-mates to embrace me and make a big show of acclaiming the goal, to make sure it was confirmed. They were hanging back a bit timidly. They embraced me, but as if to say, 'we're robbing them'. But I told them, 'who robs a robber, is pardoned for a hundred years.'

"We knew that we were facing the English, and they'd done all sorts of things to us," he said, in veiled reference to the Falklands War of 1982.

Maradona also scored a second goal with a brilliant weaving dribble in the 2-1 win in the Azteca Stadium. Gary Lineker headed England's goal.

Maradona, who has hovered on the brink of drug-induced death on various occasions, described how Shilton later reproached him for the invalid goal.

"And I told him, 'yeah well, obviously I'm going to lose sleep over that.' What do I care?" he reflected.

"I never regretted scoring that goal with my hand," he went on, "and what's more, I scored another one like it playing for Napoli against Udinese.

"Zico, who was playing for them, asked me if I didn't feel it was wrong and I said absolutely not.I'd often done it before, when I was starting out."

As if speaking directly to Shilton, he looked into the camera and said: "Peter, you didn't see a thing. It was [Terry] Fenwick who told you that it was handball. He was the one who saw it, because he was behind me and saw everything."

Diego Maradona has finally come clean about his "Hand of God" goal against England in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, confessing publicly for the first time that he punched the ball into the net with his fist, and that he has never regretted it.

Speaking on his chat show that is enthralling Argentinian viewers, the former Argentina captain confessed that he did indeed score the first goal of the quarter-final "with my left fist".

He deliberately planned the manoeuvre "from the start", because the English goalkeeper Peter Shilton was so tall, while Maradona was only 5ft 7in. "I knew I'd never get past him with a header," said Maradona.

"I want to tell this to Argentinians, and the world; why not?" he boasted, with no trace of remorse, on his chat show La Noche Del 10 (Tonight with 10), where millions of Argentinians have witnessed the comeback of a man who until recently had been reduced to a barely coherent buffoon by drugs.

Breaking a silence of nearly 20 years, Maradona detailed exactly what happened in one of the most controversial moments in footballing history.

"When I saw the linesman was halfway down the pitch, I called on my team-mates to embrace me and make a big show of acclaiming the goal, to make sure it was confirmed. They were hanging back a bit timidly. They embraced me, but as if to say, 'we're robbing them'. But I told them, 'who robs a robber, is pardoned for a hundred years.'

"We knew that we were facing the English, and they'd done all sorts of things to us," he said, in veiled reference to the Falklands War of 1982.

Maradona also scored a second goal with a brilliant weaving dribble in the 2-1 win in the Azteca Stadium. Gary Lineker headed England's goal.

Maradona, who has hovered on the brink of drug-induced death on various occasions, described how Shilton later reproached him for the invalid goal.

"And I told him, 'yeah well, obviously I'm going to lose sleep over that.' What do I care?" he reflected.

"I never regretted scoring that goal with my hand," he went on, "and what's more, I scored another one like it playing for Napoli against Udinese.

"Zico, who was playing for them, asked me if I didn't feel it was wrong and I said absolutely not.I'd often done it before, when I was starting out."

As if speaking directly to Shilton, he looked into the camera and said: "Peter, you didn't see a thing. It was [Terry] Fenwick who told you that it was handball. He was the one who saw it, because he was behind me and saw everything."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article307865.ece

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not very surprising news, but interesting nonetheless....Should the world cup be taken away from Argentina and awarded to England :13:....What I want to know if why didn't England kick up more of a fuss than they did :O:O

Last edited:
The cheating fat so and so cost us in 86 and i'll never forget it. He is a dirty little cheater. I am not suprised that he planned it all along.

He was a cheat BUT was a fantastic player, arguably the best ever!

Zushy there is no way the world cup is gonna be taken away and awarded to england and nor should it! the incident happend, the ref missed it and you just have to move on now! im not sure how big a fuss the english created but i guess it wasnt enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Geordie Ahmed said:
He was a cheat BUT was a fantastic player, arguably the best ever!

Zushy there is no way the world cup is gonna be taken away and awarded to england and nor should it! the incident happend, the ref missed it and you just have to move on now! im not sure how big a fuss the english created but i guess it wasnt enough

True enough.....Maradonna was once my favorite player until he became hooked on drugs and involved in those scandals, and now with this news coming, I've lost most if not all respect for this lying sack of crap......

Last edited by a moderator:
What goes around, comes around to bite England back in the arrse!

I will always admire him for that! What a player! Maradona was a better player than the likes of Gerrard, Beckham and Lampard all combined into one!

Fawad said:
I will always admire him for that! What a player! Maradona was a better player than the likes of Gerrard, Beckham and Lampard all combined into one!

In his prime yes, but of all time and as a person I don't think so....

Ever known a genius that was not flawed? Just look at Mike Tyson/George Best..

Diego Maradona...the greatest footballer of all time. Its easy to riddicule him, but he seems to be trying to sort his life out. He was near death 12 months ago-many had given up hope on him.

As for the 'hand of God'...we see cheating go on in nearly EVERY single match that is played on this planet, so I am surprised at some of the reaction here.

RH said:
The cheating fat so and so cost us in 86 and i'll never forget it. He is a dirty little cheater. I am not suprised that he planned it all along.

u werent even born then...

Oxy™ said:
Ever known a genius that was not flawed? Just look at Mike Tyson/George Best..

Diego Maradona...the greatest footballer of all time. Its easy to riddicule him, but he seems to be trying to sort his life out. He was near death 12 months ago-many had given up hope on him.

As for the 'hand of God'...we see cheating go on in nearly EVERY single match that is played on this planet, so I am surprised at some of the reaction here.

Well you have to understand that cheating is like diving, which is quite common and the consquences most of the time are not as harsh as in this case. Even I have to admit, using your hand is very dirty, just takesa ll the intregrity of the game away.

I really do not mind, as long as it happened to England!

zushy_786 said:

Maradona in his prime or not would ****** all over the likes of Beckham's and Gerrard's. I personally i don't care what kind of person he is.

What a player he was. I doubt if there will ever be a footballer like him.

Strength, skill, pace - the man coud go past defenders as if they weren't there. Never mind the "cheat" goal in the 86 World Cup, check out the other goal gainst England when he waltzed past around 6 or 7 players - its amazing how the English press and fans dont remember that goal, or the goal against Belgium in the same tournament.

Maradona also had an amazing club career, almost singlehandidly taking Napoli to the Serie A title.

zushy_786 said:

maybe not as a person BUT as a player he is much better than them!

He was a genius with the ball - he was a sensational player and im not sure if there ever will be one like him!

Football is full of cheating tossers.

It might well go on in other sports, but cheating I think is a lot more prevalent in football than many other sports.

ggm said:
It might well go on in other sports, but cheating I think is a lot more prevalent in football than many other sports.

Yep lot of actors in football who drop like a sack of potatoes when they're slightly touched....

ggm said:

In football they can get away with it more unfortunately - in cricket not so cos if cricketers could then cricket would also be full of cheating to$$ers

zushy_786 said:

I remember that goal! IT was during the 1984-85 season. If I am not wrong (that happened more than 20 years ago) Napoli took a 1-0 lead thanks to a beautiful free kick by Maradona. Udinese tied and then scored the 2nd goal. Napoli was losing 2-1 with just a few minutes left, but Maradona scored with his hand! Sad..

However, Maradona was really a great great great great player! In my opinion he was the greatest ever!

Maradona said:
But I told them, 'who robs a robber, is pardoned for a hundred years.'

Pakistani cricket team shud take a lesson frm this whn England tours us in October

zushy_786 said:
Maradona reveals how he robbed England with the 'Hand of God'

By Elizabeth Nash in Madrid

Published: 24 August 2005

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article307865.ece

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not very surprising news, but interesting nonetheless....Should the world cup be taken away from Argentina and awarded to England :13:....What I want to know if why didn't England kick up more of a fuss than they did :O:O

haha nice one maradonna for robbing the poms :19:

Argentina legend Diego Maradona has been released from hospital after being admitted with internal bleeding in his stomach, his daughter said.

The 58-year-old was having a routine medical in his home country when doctors discovered the problem.

However, his family said the diagnosis was not serious.

"For those who were really worried about my dad I can tell you that he is well," his daughter Dalma said. "He is going home soon."

Reuters news agency later reported Maradona had left the hospital.

Maradona, who captained Argentina to World Cup victory in 1986, is coach of Mexican second division side Dorados de Sinaloa.

He was taken ill during Argentina's victory over Nigeria at last year's World Cup in Russia but later said he was "fine".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46764175

Argentina's World Cup-winning legend Diego Maradona is recovering in hospital after a successful operation to stop internal bleeding caused by a hernia, his lawyer has said.

The 58-year-old former national captain and manager discovered the problem at a routine hospital check-up this month.

He had the operation on Saturday to stem bleeding in his stomach.

"Maradona's surgical procedure is over. Thank God everything went perfectly," Matias Morla said on Twitter.

Doctors discovered the bleeding shortly before Maradona was due to fly to Mexico, where he is coach of second division side Dorados de Sinaloa.

Morla said Maradona, who captained Argentina to World Cup victory in 1986, would return to the Mexican club for a second season when his recuperation was complete.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46855009

Diego Maradona: Argentina legend named Gimnasia head coach

Argentina legend Diego Maradona has been named manager of Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata - the first coaching job in his homeland since 2010.

The 58-year-old, Argentina's 1986 World Cup-winning captain, takes charge until the end of the season.

Gimnasia - nicknamed El Lobo, which means 'the Wolf' - are bottom of the Primera Division.

"Star of world football Diego Maradona has signed his name and is the new coach of Gimnasia," the club said.

Maradona, who shared Fifa's Player of the 20th Century award with Brazilian great Pele, takes on a team who have gained one point from their past five matches.

He left his previous managerial role of Mexico second division outfit Dorados de Sinaloa in June, citing issues with his health, after failing to secure promotion to the top flight.

"Finally it's now official," Maradona wrote on Instagram. "I am very happy to be the new coach of Gimnasia.

"I want to thank the president Gabriel Pellegrino for this opportunity and say to all the fans that we are going to work with our hearts and souls for El Lobo."

Maradona's new role is his sixth club management job; he was also in charge of the national team for two years from 2008, taking them to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals in South Africa.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49605036

Back