'Do not buy from Muslims': BJP leader in India calls for boycott

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India's governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has issued a notice to one of its leaders after a video showing him asking people not to buy vegetables from Muslims surfaced amid a nationwide coronavirus lockdown.

"Keep one thing in mind. I am telling everyone openly. There is no need to buy vegetables from 'miyans' [Muslims]," legislator Suresh Tiwari from Deoria town in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh was heard saying in the mobile phone video that went viral on Tuesday.

Millions in India are facing unprecedented job losses and hunger because of the coronavirus pandemic and lockdown, with daily wagers, vendors and small shopkeepers being severely affected.

As outrage grew, the BJP asked Tiwari why action should not be initiated against him over his call to boycott Muslim vendors.

'Precautionary measure'

A report in the Hindustan Times quoted Tiwari as saying his call for a boycott was "a precautionary measure to protect people from getting infected".

"On April 18, I was distributing masks among people in Deoria when people complained that Tablighi Jamaat was spreading the infection. Many of them were worried that Muslim vendors were infecting vegetables with saliva," he told the newspaper.

"As a responsible MLA, I asked them not to take the law into their hands to deal with situation but simply stop buying vegetables from them [Muslims]. Tell me what wrong I have done if I have said such things?"

India's Muslims have been targeted in different areas of the country following reports of an outbreak of COVID-19 at a religious gathering in New Delhi last month that was organised by the Tablighi Jamaat, a Muslim missionary group.

India's communal faultlines, still stressed by deadly riots in New Delhi in February over a new citizenship law that excludes Muslims, were split wide open by the allegations against the Jamaat.

Some BJP politicians and journalists were seen on TV describing the Jamaat incident as "corona terrorism" and accusing the Muslim community in general of hatching a "conspiracy" to spread the virus.

Tiwari's call for the boycott of Muslim vendors or the community in general was not an isolated incident.

Far-right groups in India have been seen distributing saffron flags to vegetable vendors in many places to allow consumers to identify them as Hindu sellers.

Certain neighbourhoods in New Delhi and other states including Karnataka, Telangana and Madhya Pradesh also put posters to stop Muslims from entering.

Delhi Police (Thana Prem Nagar) claims that @LtGovDelhi has ordered to ban Azaan in Mosques. @DelhiPolice @DCPNWestDelhi please show copy of LG's the order.

Even mosques have been attacked, with many calling for a ban on adhan, a call to Muslim prayer.

On Tuesday, a group of men in Uttar Pradesh's Gorakhpur district allegedly vandalised a mosque and attacked a muezzin, one who calls Muslims for prayer, when he did not stop giving adhan on a loudspeaker during the lockdown as demanded by them, local media reported.

Muezzin Abdul Rahman, 35, who suffered minor injuries in the incident, said there were only three people in the mosque as permitted by the police during the lockdown, said the report.

The Islamic holy month of Ramadan began on April 25.

'Attach primacy to unity'

On April 18, as anti-Muslim hate campaign over the virus grew in India, the rights body of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) called on New Delhi to stop Islamophobia.

The next day, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi posted a message of unity on Twitter.

"COVID-19 does not see race, religion, color, caste, creed, language or border before striking. Our response and conduct thereafter should attach primacy to unity and brotherhood. We are in this together," he tweeted.

Meanwhile, the opposition Samajwadi Party spokesman Anurag Bhadoriya said authorities should file a case against BJP leader Tiwari for calling for a boycott of the Muslim community.

"At this time of crisis, he is busy spreading hate against a particular community. This shows how much he cares about humanity," Bhadoriya told Anadolu news agency.

A BJP spokesman from Uttar Pradesh said party leaders should avoid making such statements.

"It is wrong to speak in such a way when we are fighting against pandemic. This division is not good for the society," Rakesh Tripathi told Anadolu.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...ader-india-calls-boycott-200429034119722.html

Is there a limit to this stupidity? Who elects these people and why?

Muslims in the Humaaaya Mulk appear to have quite a few appellations. I was aware of Musla, but over the last few years I’ve learnt that there’s also Sheikh, Sulla, Katwa, and now apparently Mian.

Wow what a hypocrisy when some one is calling bashing thread,maybe he/she didn't went to YouTube comment section or any other Indian forum where they bash Muslims.

According to [MENTION=136588]CricketCartoons[/MENTION] Muslims are also Hindus for Hindus so why is this happening in India?

According to [MENTION=136588]CricketCartoons[/MENTION] Muslims are also Hindus for Hindus so why is this happening in India?

You are not one of the brightest, but I will try. Not all hindus follow or even understand hindutva. BJP doesn't follow Hindutva according how it should be. Although here it was a small BJP leader who got admonished by the BJP president, so it was an individual opinion, not of the party.

It is common peoples right to decide whom they do economic activities with, but state or elected representatives should not decide or influence that. You are free to boycott patanjali like many others, and others are free to boycott vendors they don't trust. Being phobic is also a human right.

IK's wasn't exaggerating with his Nazi Germany comparisons huh !. This is literally the whole thing playing out again verbatim . Are we in all some kind of lazy simulation ??

You are not one of the brightest, but I will try. Not all hindus follow or even understand hindutva. BJP doesn't follow Hindutva according how it should be. Although here it was a small BJP leader who got admonished by the BJP president, so it was an individual opinion, not of the party.

It is common peoples right to decide whom they do economic activities with, but state or elected representatives should not decide or influence that. You are free to boycott patanjali like many others, and others are free to boycott vendors they don't trust. Being phobic is also a human right.

Lol what? Since you are one of the brightest here may be you can explain how this works. If Muslims are Hindus for Hindus, why is there so much hatred going on against Muslims in India? Don't try to hide behind that BJP leader. He is not the first BJP leader to speak like that and surely not the last one. These BJP leaders say what their jaahil janta likes to listen. These leaders are representing you and you guys are representing them online.

Muslims in India are treated like trash these days. Those who think otherwise are delusional. :inti

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things:

1) The tweet in the OP has nothing to do with BJP.

2) Suresh Tiwari's comments were pathetic agreed but BJP already reprimanded him by serving him a notice.

Singling out a comment of an individual to blame an entire party consiting of millions of Karyakartas is not fair.

Are we saying members of other political parties dont give bigoted comments?

Today only Delhi minority commission chairman Zafarul-Islam Khan said there will be avalanche of hindus in Arab world if Indian muslims complain.

https://zeenews.india.com/india/del...rsy-bjp-seeks-action-against-him-2280018.html

So shall we blame entire Indian minorities?

C'mmon guys.

Two things:

1) The tweet in the OP has nothing to do with BJP.

2) Suresh Tiwari's comments were pathetic agreed but BJP already reprimanded him by serving him a notice.

Singling out a comment of an individual to blame an entire party consiting of millions of Karyakartas is not fair.

Are we saying members of other political parties dont give bigoted comments?

Today only Delhi minority commission chairman Zafarul-Islam Khan said there will be avalanche of hindus in Arab world if Indian muslims complain.

https://zeenews.india.com/india/del...rsy-bjp-seeks-action-against-him-2280018.html

So shall we blame entire Indian minorities?

C'mmon guys.

Hate speech shouldn't get support of govt. and state. That's when speech transcends into actions.

Muslims living in India, I guess they aren't Indian, they must be aliens.

This is what BJP is all about. It is an anti-Muslim party.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Spoke to PM Sheikh Hasina to greet her & the people of Bangladesh on the Holy Month of Ramzan. We discussed COVID-19 situation & ways India and Bangladesh can collaborate in the fight against it. Our relationship with Bangladesh will continue to be one of our highest priorities.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1255502763376680967?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Spoke to PM Sheikh Hasina to greet her & the people of Bangladesh on the Holy Month of Ramzan. We discussed COVID-19 situation & ways India and Bangladesh can collaborate in the fight against it. Our relationship with Bangladesh will continue to be one of our highest priorities.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1255502763376680967?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ok so BJP supporters aren’t necessarily fascist. They can be gullible too

Ok so BJP supporters aren’t necessarily fascist. They can be gullible too

I believe the comment made by BJP MLA is discriminatory and pathetic because religion shouldn’t dictate how business is done esp food and healthcare but can you explain to me why you thought the comment by MLA was fascist ?

I believe the comment made by BJP MLA is discriminatory and pathetic because religion shouldn’t dictate how business is done esp food and healthcare but can you explain to me why you thought the comment by MLA was fascist ?

So I cannot boycott food from patanjali stores because it does not satisfy the religious criteria for my food?

So I cannot boycott food from patanjali stores because it does not satisfy the religious criteria for my food?

My point was on Halal/kosher because i have no data on patanjali.

I want to know if posters consider halal to be a discriminatory practice.

Meanwhile in Pakistan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congratulations to Rahul Dev on his selection as GD Pilot in Pakistan Air Force (PAF). He hails from a remote village of Tharparkar, Sindh. All our love and prayers for him. 💕 <a href="https://t.co/3swnqJI9Cr">pic.twitter.com/3swnqJI9Cr</a></p>— Rafique Ahmed Khokhar (@RafiqueKhokhar) <a href="https://twitter.com/RafiqueKhokhar/status/1256164941456912384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yet another BJP bashing thread.

Atleast we are not going on Indian forums complaining about how they run things.

Oh I forgot, Indian forums don't allow Pakistanis like we allow Indians here.

My point was on Halal/kosher because i have no data on patanjali.

I want to know if posters consider halal to be a discriminatory practice.

Fatwas have been issued to boycott Patanjali products. Hindus and Sikhs are nkt supposed to consume halal things.

At the end of the day its people's choice, where they spend their money.

Fatwas have been issued to boycott Patanjali products. Hindus and Sikhs are nkt supposed to consume halal things.

Did you read the article in the OP? Tiwari himself has said that he is encouraging the boycott because of the widespread rumour that Muslim vendors are spreading Covid infection through vegetables covered with saliva.

There's plenty more in that article if you want to go through it and have a discussion on the merits of his arguments.

Hindus and Sikhs are nkt supposed to consume halal things.

I actually googled the meaning of Halal. Was under the impression it referred to the way a goat was killed and the prayers recited. But the first link on Google said:

By official definition, halal foods are those that are:
Free from any component that Muslims are prohibited from consuming according to Islamic law (Shariah).
Processed, made, produced, manufactured and/or stored using utensils, equipment and/or machinery that have been cleansed according to Islamic law.

Where did you get this "not supposed to consume halal things". Who said so?

I'm not advocating "halal"being stamped on food products in a country like India - probably would avoid them if there was an alternative. But just curious where in Hinduism does it prohibit this "halal things".

Hindus shouldn’t eat halal? Yeah that’s now how it is and as captain who rarely makes a good point wrt India has this time correctly said the reason for boycott is not religious which ( religion) also imo is discriminatory..

I actually googled the meaning of Halal. Was under the impression it referred to the way a goat was killed and the prayers recited. But the first link on Google said:

Where did you get this "not supposed to consume halal things". Who said so?

I'm not advocating "halal"being stamped on food products in a country like India - probably would avoid them if there was an alternative. But just curious where in Hinduism does it prohibit this "halal things".

Hindus are allowed to eat jhatka meat only. Though thats not follwed strictly.

Sikhs follow it strictly and eat only jhatka meat.

Hindus shouldn’t eat halal? Yeah that’s now how it is and as captain who rarely makes a good point wrt India has this time correctly said the reason for boycott is not religious which ( religion) also imo is discriminatory..

Hindus and Sikh are permitted to eat Jhatka meat only.

Can you show me where it says that for Hindus? Is it Bengali ,Kashmiri thing? Are you talking about bali, coz random laws would mean you shouldn’t kill animal itself..

Disagree there is no such rule for Hindus atleast. We don’t have 1 common guideline like Abrahamic religions .

In fact killing an animal be it via one big strike or by making it bleed to death either ways is frowned upon in some sects of Hinduism and some cultures eat meat but don’t think there is a lot of thought that goes on to how the animal was butchered.

Not sure about Sikhs but I know some Sikhs who follow vegetarianism but not sure if it’s a personal choice or religious.

It should be let to the hindu individual if he wants to eat halal or avoid it. Both options should be fine. Non halal meat should be an option. personally, I don't have respect for meat eaters, but to each their own.

Can you show me where it says that for Hindus? Is it Bengali ,Kashmiri thing? Are you talking about bali, coz random laws would mean you shouldn’t kill animal itself..

The hindu butcher caste is Khatik. Its specifically in their ways that meat to be eaten by humans have to be slaughtered with a single strike. Its also mentioned which parts are to be kept by the butcher and which are to be given to the owner

Same with sikhs.

Sikh follow this more stringently than Hindus.

The hindu butcher caste is Khatik. Its specifically in their ways that meat to be eaten by humans have to be slaughtered with a single strike. Its also mentioned which parts are to be kept by the butcher and which are to be given to the owner

Same with sikhs.

Sikh follow this more stringently than Hindus.

Again in that logic Brahmins shouldnt eat meat, if its caste and what not.

Not sure why you keep bringing in Sikhs , I know about Sikhs obviously but tbf many of them don’t follow it either and many don’t eat meat as well.

What next, stop watching films that have Muslim actors in them?

Again in that logic Brahmins shouldnt eat meat, if its caste and what not.

Not sure why you keep bringing in Sikhs , I know about Sikhs obviously but tbf many of them don’t follow it either and many don’t eat meat as well.

Nowhere its written brahmins cant eat meat. Maithili brahmins, bengali Brahmins, odiya brahmins all eat meat.

Did you read the article in the OP? Tiwari himself has said that he is encouraging the boycott because of the widespread rumour that Muslim vendors are spreading Covid infection through vegetables covered with saliva.

There's plenty more in that article if you want to go through it and have a discussion on the merits of his arguments.

Tiwari or Bimari is of no significance. Its individual choice at the end of the day.

Nowhere its written brahmins cant eat meat. Maithili brahmins, bengali Brahmins, odiya brahmins all eat meat.

True. However most South Indian and North Indian brahmins are vegetarians and most if not all Gujarati and Marwari Hindus are vegetarians. The ones that eat meat do it outside their homes and families still do consider it kind of a taboo in those cultures.

In Indian culture diet is a cultural thing than a religious thing. Eating beef is probably the only commonly accepted taboo because we were an agrarian society and and cows were pretty much like a faithful employee/house pet and obviously no one eats the house pet. Obviously few people eat beef now and that is their choice as long as they are not shoving it in your face and respecting the sentiments of others.

So the jhatka/halaal concept or butchering a certain way may be indigenous to some branches or cultures of India that practice Hinduism but it is not a hard and fast rule.

I am a vegetarian but I have accompanied my friends to the butcher shop a few times even though not a fan of watching animals killed. However the point I am trying to make is they never seemed to care if the butcher was a Hindu or a Muslim or if the meat was cut a certain way. If my memory serves me right the butcher they went to was a Muslim so obviously it was halaal meat.

Tiwari or Bimari is of no significance. Its individual choice at the end of the day.

He is a BJP MLA, his supporters wont agree he has no significance. All those who are in politics are there to serve the public, his words are heard loud and clear by the Hindu extremists around the country, he made the news.

He's still defending his idiotic words but no surprise being a BJP guy.

"Was I Wrong?" BJP MLA Says Boycott Muslim Vegetable Sellers, Defiant

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/cor...lim-vegetable-vendors-defends-himself-2219589

He is a BJP MLA, his supporters wont agree he has no significance. All those who are in politics are there to serve the public, his words are heard loud and clear by the Hindu extremists around the country, he made the news.

He's still defending his idiotic words but no surprise being a BJP guy.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/cor...lim-vegetable-vendors-defends-himself-2219589

If the BJP mLa doesn't want to buy food from a Muslim, its his choice. But he cant force anyone to do the same. At the end of the day, its a persons money and his choice, not BJP or congress or govt or anyone's money.

If the BJP mLa doesn't want to buy food from a Muslim, its his choice. But he cant force anyone to do the same. At the end of the day, its a persons money and his choice, not BJP or congress or govt or anyone's money.

A man in a position of power and influence can't use this it's my choice argument. Let him do it if he wants to - but making a video and showing off like a badge of honour is pathetic and irresponsible, if not illegal according to the vows this lowlife took at the time of being sworn in.

What next, stop watching films that have Muslim actors in them?

Maybe a Don't let Muslim players play for any national sporting teams, next.

I wouldn't put it beyond some of this lot.

Delhi Minorities Commission chairman booked under sedition charges

The FIR was filed on the complaint of a Vasant Kunj resident. The complaint reached the Lodhi Colony office of the anti-terror squad, special cell, through the assistant commissioner of police (ACP) Safdarjung Enclave. HT has a copy of the FIR.

The Delhi Police’s special cell on Thursday booked Delhi Minorities Commission chairman Zafarul Islam Khan under sedition charges, two days after he allegedly made “provocative” remarks in his social media posts.

Joint commissioner of police (special cell) Neeraj Thakur said that a first information report (FIR) has been registered against Khan under Indian Penal Code sections 124 A (sedition) and 153 A (Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony).

Khan, did not comment on the development. “I have not seen the FIR. I will comment only when I see it or know about it,” he said.

On Thursday he had issued an apology through his social media accounts. He had said that his tweet was ill-timed and insensitive and that it had “pained some people” but it was never his intention.

The FIR was filed on the complaint of a Vasant Kunj resident. The complaint reached the Lodhi Colony office of the anti-terror squad, special cell, through the assistant commissioner of police (ACP) Safdarjung Enclave. HT has a copy of the FIR.

In his complaint, the Vasant Kunj resident alleged that on April 28, Delhi Minorities Commission chairperson Zafarul-Islam Khan made a social media post on Twitter and Facebook and the contents of the post are “provocative, intend to cause disharmony and create the rift in the society.”

Khan’s alleged communal remarks sparked sparked controversy . It also mentioned the name of a fugitive offender against whom a red corner notice has already been issued by Interpol on the request of Indian authorities, which have booked him under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), money laundering and terror-related cases. He has praised the man among others.

On Thursday, Khan issued an apology on social media regarding his April 28 post. “I realise that my tweet was ill-timed and insensitive in view of our country facing a medical emergency and fighting an unseen enemy. I apologise to all whose sentiments were hurt,” Khan said in his statement.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/delhi-...ion-charges/story-wz6EULQa8FtblNT3Z6DClL.html

[MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] BJP MLA's statement was his personal opinion but a Delhi Minority Commission chairman has been booked under sedition charges? I am sure nobody knew about this chairman before and that BJP MLA can influence lot more people with his hate speech than that chairman lol. In a fair world that BJP MLA should also be booked under sedition charges. :inti

Last edited:

I don't have a problem with individual choice, no one is arguing about choice. The criticism is aimed at those who are spreading false rumours in order to damage Muslim livelihoods, but you deflect this by saying these people are of no significance.

You are of even less significance, yet you expect us to believe your hogwash. Please explain this logic.

Delhi Minorities Commission chairman booked under sedition charges

The Delhi Police’s special cell on Thursday booked Delhi Minorities Commission chairman Zafarul Islam Khan under sedition charges, two days after he allegedly made “provocative” remarks in his social media posts.

Joint commissioner of police (special cell) Neeraj Thakur said that a first information report (FIR) has been registered against Khan under Indian Penal Code sections 124 A (sedition) and 153 A (Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony).

Khan, did not comment on the development. “I have not seen the FIR. I will comment only when I see it or know about it,” he said.

On Thursday he had issued an apology through his social media accounts. He had said that his tweet was ill-timed and insensitive and that it had “pained some people” but it was never his intention.

In his complaint, the Vasant Kunj resident alleged that on April 28, Delhi Minorities Commission chairperson Zafarul-Islam Khan made a social media post on Twitter and Facebook and the contents of the post are “provocative, intend to cause disharmony and create the rift in the society.”

Khan’s alleged communal remarks sparked sparked controversy . It also mentioned the name of a fugitive offender against whom a red corner notice has already been issued by Interpol on the request of Indian authorities, which have booked him under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), money laundering and terror-related cases. He has praised the man among others.

On Thursday, Khan issued an apology on social media regarding his April 28 post. “I realise that my tweet was ill-timed and insensitive in view of our country facing a medical emergency and fighting an unseen enemy. I apologise to all whose sentiments were hurt,” Khan said in his statement.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/delhi-...ion-charges/story-wz6EULQa8FtblNT3Z6DClL.html

[MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] BJP MLA's statement was his personal opinion but a Delhi Minority Commission chairman has been booked under sedition charges? I am sure nobody knew about this chairman before and that BJP MLA can influence lot more people with his hate speech than that chairman lol. In a fair world that BJP MLA should also be booked under sedition charges. :inti

Karnataka IAS officer gets show cause notice for his tweet on 'Godi media' and 'Tablighi Jamaat'

The Karnataka government on Friday issued a show cause notice to an IAS officer over his recent tweet praising Tablighi Jamaat members who have recovered from COVID-19 for donating plasma for treatment of other patients.

"More than 300 Tablighi Heroes are donating their plasma to serve the country in New Delhi only. What about? #Godi Media? They will not show the works of humanity done by these heroes," Mohammad Mohsin, currently serving as a secretary in the Backward Class Welfare Department, said in a now deleted tweet on April 27.

A 1996 batch IAS officer from Karnataka cadre hailing from Bihar, he was also in the news last year after the Election Commission suspended him for trying to inspect Prime Minister Narendra Modi's helicopter during his visit to Odisha in April. Moshin was deployed as a poll observer.

Confirming that he has received the show cause notice, Mohsin told TNM that he will be sending a reply as per the rules, shortly.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...show-cause-notice-his-tweet-godi-media-123788

----------------------

Even fairly minor tweets are getting some people into trouble.

Meanwhile...

‘We’ve stopped going there’: Muslim fruits suppliers in Noida speak of discrimination and hostility

In the aftermath of the Tablighi Jamaat cluster case, Muslims in India have been earmarked as vectors of the novel coronavirus. One specific form this prejudice takes is the coronavirus-positive Muslim fruit vendor. WhatsApp forwards, politicians, and even television news channels have participated in creating this typecast.

Last week alone, two elected local leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party in Uttar Pradesh were caught on tape unleashing anti-Muslim slurs against fruit vendors in their constituencies. In Deoria, MLA Suresh Tewari was seen asking people not to buy vegetables from Muslims. In Lucknow, MLA Brajbhushan Rajput was filmed humiliating a Muslim vendor.

In April, Newslaundry reported on how channels like TV9 Bharatvarsh lent legitimacy to such rumours by broadcasting misleading segments, coining terms like “corona criminals” for Muslim vendors. The Press Information Bureau, the information arm of the Indian government, decried a viral audio clip claiming that vendors lick vegetables and fruits before selling them. Fact checkers at Alt News busted a false video claiming that a Muslim vendor in Bijnor was sprinkling urine on fruits.

However, the discrimination is not limited to only rural pockets of North India. In Noida and Noida Extension, Muslim fruit vendors claim they have faced hostility and discrimination since the lockdown began. There are over 50 hotspots in Noida and Greater Noida combined. About 500 vehicles transport supplies in the area every day.

Newslaundry spoke to vendors who have been specially assigned by the district administration to supply fruits and vegetables in sealed hotspots. They speak of facing antagonism in high-end residential societies as well as in cramped urban villages.

Mohammad Tariq, 30, has been selling fruits to retail vendors for two years in Noida. After the lockdown, the administration asked him to supply these to Alpha One, a hotspot in Greater Noida. “Some people there looked at us with contempt and told others that they should not buy fruits from these Muslims,” Tariq told Newslaundry over the phone.

Tariq had ventured into the area with four other associates. “One of my boys is Hindu. But they were not asking us to leave on our face. A few people were telling others not to buy from us,” he explained. Tariq claimed that some people did choose not to approach him, but the rest bought what he had to sell.

But things got a little rough. “Once that did not work, they kept saying the Muslims are selling things at higher rates. They said we sold potatoes for Rs 50 a kilo — we didn’t! The penny dropped when the local Residents’ Welfare Association president threatened to call the police because of these higher rates. We packed up. I don’t want to go there again.”

This also happened with Imran, 24, who has been a fruit vendor since he was 16. After the lockdown, he was assigned to deliver fruits and vegetables in a few hotspots — all residential societies — in Greater Noida and Noida Extension. “We had a mobile stall near Gaur City in Noida Extension. We had to remove it,” Imran told Newslaundry. “On April 20, our boys returned from work and told me local residents were harassing them for being Muslims.”

Imran claimed that residents asked the names of his associates and where they were from. He said: “Two days after their inquiry, the boys said they were asked to leave. I asked them to stop going there after that. The residents found one of their own choice, a Hindu, and he’s the supplier there now.”

Imran has now shifted shop to Cherry County, a red zone, and Nirala Greenshire, a green zone, in the vicinity. He says he faces no discrimination there. “There are all kinds of people. I know how to ignore the wrong ones,” he said.

Khalid Khan, 30, another fruit vendor, moved his stall from a hotspot last week. “I had been assigned to Vishnoli village, a hotspot in Dadri, by the district magistrate’s office. Fruits and vegetables weren’t reaching there because of the quarantine,” Khan told Newslaundry. “I started going there in mid-April. For the first few days, people there bought whatever they needed. It seems like when customers were stocked up, they started spreading these ‘spitting’ rumours about us.”

He added: “They were very brash with me and my boys, and said we put our saliva on fruits and vegetables. The village head was especially abusive. He accused us of selling at higher rates and said this is how these Muslims are.”

On April 25, Khalid chose to abandon the venture. “This is happening because we are Muslims, and this never happened before,” he said. “I don’t understand why people have started behaving like this. I have seen these rumours spreading on WhatsApp but I just ignore them.”

Tariq also maintained that he did not face this kind of bigotry prior to the lockdown. “This government does not want this to not happen. They say it shouldn’t happen but don’t step in when it does,” he alleged. “The social mentality is changing. All this circulates on WhatsApp but why believe it?”

I told him that people do actually believe it. “They’ll stop believing it in five or 10 years when it’ll ruin them,” he said.

Imran is more optimistic. “I’ve been supplying fruits and vegetables at 10 to 15 other places. Things have been going fine there, without any problem. Sometimes, those with lower earnings conspire against the sellers who do better to get them out of the picture,” he said. “They want to make money. It happens. We’re not in this for money. This is a national duty.”

Santosh Yadav, secretary of the Mandi Parishad in Noida, told Newslaundry that no complaint of religion-based discrimination towards fruit vendors had reached the district administration. “It is a serious claim and it would have definitely reached the administration had it occurred. But to my knowledge, no such discrimination has taken place,” Yadav said.

He added that vendors continue to supply fruits and vegetables for more than two weeks without hassle.
https://www.newslaundry.com/2020/05...n-noida-speak-of-discrimination-and-hostility

I don't have a problem with individual choice, no one is arguing about choice. The criticism is aimed at those who are spreading false rumours in order to damage Muslim livelihoods, but you deflect this by saying these people are of no significance.

You are of even less significance, yet you expect us to believe your hogwash. Please explain this logic.

You are free to believe what you want. Lol.

False hood will only go so far.

A fools rant wont influence anyone's decision about doing business with any community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karnataka IAS officer gets show cause notice for his tweet on 'Godi media' and 'Tablighi Jamaat'

The Karnataka government on Friday issued a show cause notice to an IAS officer over his recent tweet praising Tablighi Jamaat members who have recovered from COVID-19 for donating plasma for treatment of other patients.

"More than 300 Tablighi Heroes are donating their plasma to serve the country in New Delhi only. What about? #Godi Media? They will not show the works of humanity done by these heroes," Mohammad Mohsin, currently serving as a secretary in the Backward Class Welfare Department, said in a now deleted tweet on April 27.

A 1996 batch IAS officer from Karnataka cadre hailing from Bihar, he was also in the news last year after the Election Commission suspended him for trying to inspect Prime Minister Narendra Modi's helicopter during his visit to Odisha in April. Moshin was deployed as a poll observer.

Confirming that he has received the show cause notice, Mohsin told TNM that he will be sending a reply as per the rules, shortly.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...show-cause-notice-his-tweet-godi-media-123788

----------------------

Even fairly minor tweets are getting some people into trouble.
Pathetic from most corrupt neta, Yeddi.

Back