Do you like South Indian food?

Menu looks yummy (despite being restricted to veggie choices). Next time I'm in Mississauga will give it a. try!

They have a lot of meat/sea food dishes, go to the bottom of the menu

no, There is this one great Restaurant here in Canada, owned by Malyalees which serves many of those dishes, of course it will be no match to what I will get in Kerala, hopefully one day will go there

You are always welcome.:)

Don't miss ''karimeen pollichathu''.Thats one of the best thing that we malayalees has ever discovered.:D

Getting bored of my south indian food. Cooking butter chicken now...

On my way to Rameshwaram some years ago, ate the best dosa-chicken curry combo on a road side dhaba near Ramnathpuram. Among the most blissful food I have ever had

If you are a veggie South Indian, the protein rich food options are literally none.

Only protien food Veggie South Indians get is Dal. Even that is extremely diluted.

The best breakfast food I have eaten till date is in Karnataka. The Sambar-Idly-Vada combo is heaven. Also Dosa is awesome.

Kozhikode a.k.a Calicut. The place where Vasco da Gama landed in search of India.

why would anyone change a perfectly good (and might I say well known) name like Calicut and rename it to hwayever it is now which half the world wont attempt to pronounce

why would anyone change a perfectly good (and might I say well known) name like Calicut and rename it to hwayever it is now which half the world wont attempt to pronounce

The name had to have the dreaded "ZH" alphabet in there :))

Most people I know pronounce it as K-o-g-i-Kode.

The name had to have the dreaded "ZH" alphabet in there
Most people I know pronounce it as K-o-g-i-Kode.

dreaded? We love that alphabet, as non-malayalees cannot pronounce it correctly.:srt

South Indian food is a bit of Idli/Sambhar/Dosa overkill, but I enjoy it every now and then. I wish there were more meat dishes.

I recently had a Pav Bhaji Dosa at a South Indian place here in Montreal. It was my first experience of the south Indian cuisine and I absolutely loved it. Plus the people were very nice, and upon learning that my friends and I were Pakistani they brought us free gulab jamun.

south indian food is my least preferred choice. good only for breakfast, not dinner or lunch. i love bengali food the best. it's awesome!

My favorite food, I grew up eating it. Unfortunately, not too many Indian restaurants offer it in the US.

Amazing food -variety of dosas,Parathas,Rice,vadas. Tamrind rice and Sambhar rice my fav but if u r into body building except Idly south Indian food is best avoided or taken once or twice a month.
Different biryanis are amazing as well i prefer the Thalpakatti biryani of Tamil Nadu over the Hyderabadi one but that's purely my opinion.

South Indian foods are lacking in sweets and desserts. The only semi decent sweet that I have tasted is kesari bath. Mysore Pak, which seems to be quite popular here, is like eating a brick of sugar. Even the Payasam is nothing on our Bengali Payesh.

Because Indian masses and politicians are fools who change names for political mileage.

Calcutta turns into Kolkata.
Calicut turns into Kozhikode.
Bangalore turns into Bengaluru.

West Bengal should turn into Bengal but no......that's not logical.

Because Indian masses and politicians are fools who change names for political mileage.

Calcutta turns into Kolkata.
Calicut turns into Kozhikode.
Bangalore turns into Bengaluru.

West Bengal should turn into Bengal but no......that's not logical.

It makes sense to remove the colonial names and restore the local names.

WB govt has asked the center to remain the state as Pashchim Banga.

Victoria Terminus in Mumbai was changed to Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus, and King George's medical College was changed to Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical College. And this makes sense. Why keep institutions named after foreign monarchs who colonized us?

It makes sense to remove the colonial names and restore the local names.

WB govt has asked the center to remain the state as Pashchim Banga.

Victoria Terminus in Mumbai was changed to Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus, and King George's medical College was changed to Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical College. And this makes sense. Why keep institutions named after foreign monarchs who colonized us?

That seems ok but city names are engraved in the minds of people and changing perfectly good names like Bangalore, Calicut, etc makes no sense.

That seems ok but city names are engraved in the minds of people and changing perfectly good names like Bangalore, Calicut, etc makes no sense.

Kozhicode, Kolkata and Bengaluru are also perfectly good names. With time they will get engraved in the minds of the people. Anyway, only the english medium educated elite used the earlier names. Locals used to use these names. And we must get rid of colonial vestiges wherever possible.

We are not the Britishers slave anymore. So why keep the name that replaced the original one first?

dreaded? We love that alphabet, as non-malayalees cannot pronounce it correctly.:srt

lol..couldn't control my laughter when i tried to correct a northie guy who pronounced pazhampori as palampori in the train...:))

Kozhicode, Kolkata and Bengaluru are also perfectly good names. With time they will get engraved in the minds of the people. Anyway, only the english medium educated elite used the earlier names. Locals used to use these names. And we must get rid of colonial vestiges wherever possible.

Disagree.

It was unnecessary and lame.

Outsiders are well familiar with these names and locals used these names too (even if they used other versions).

I can say with time, everyone would get used to actual old name.

Disagree.

It was unnecessary and lame.

Outsiders are well familiar with these names and locals used these names too (even if they used other versions).

I can say with time, everyone would get used to actual old name.

It was necessary. Should have been done much earlier though when we got independence from foreign rule.

The only protests came from the elite english educated class, who think they are the only ones who matter. We did not see the common person protesting against the name change. That itself says something.

Renaming places is a small step in asserting ones identity and removing vestiges of the colonial past.

Don't know about others, but Kolkata was the bengali and de-anglicized name for Calcutta and was used by local people. I think same must be true for Kozhicode and Bengaluru.

Then it makes sense for Kolkata.

Was Kozhikode and Bengaluru used before?

If names were changed just cos the masses want a local flavor and were given a choice, then its lame.

Also to be honest, considering British were here for several centuries and names like Calcutta were well established, I don't think its a bad idea to leave them as it is.

Then it makes sense for Kolkata.

If names were changed just cos the masses want a local flavor and were given a choice, then its lame.

Also to be honest, considering British were here for several centuries and names like Calcutta were well established, I don't think its a bad idea to leave them as it is.

What is the loss in renaming a place to what locals call it. I don't buy this "well established" argument. Has the name change affected the cities in any negative way? These are just protestations of the elite who loves Anglicized names, and prefers the names their colonial masters gave them over the local ones. I know some bengalis whose surname is Pal, but they write it as Paul, the anglicized version.

There is not one negative effect caused by the name change. On the other hand there is a positive. The regional culture has been able to assert itself with the inclusive name, and have overthrown the colonial names which were reminders of cultural slavery.

What is the loss in renaming a place to what locals call it. I don't buy this "well established" argument. Has the name change affected the cities in any negative way? These are just protestations of the elite who loves Anglicized names, and prefers the names their colonial masters gave them over the local ones. I know some bengalis whose surname is Pal, but they write it as Paul, the anglicized version.

There is not one negative effect caused by the name change. On the other hand there is a positive. The regional culture has been able to assert itself with the inclusive name, and have overthrown the colonial names which were reminders of cultural slavery.

The negative aspect is confusion and changing of the name in various places.

If Kolkata was called that before, then I think its fine to change it back to what it was.

But in general, I don't want to change names of all cities just cos some masses feel "Oh I need to get rid of the colonial mentality" and so choose some local name.

If you want to get rid of colonial mentality, we can do it by action. Not by all these fake gestures which are frankly done by politicians to appease the masses and the masses feel as if they have achieved something in life.

The negative aspect is confusion and changing of the name in various places.

If Kolkata was called that before, then I think its fine to change it back to what it was.

But in general, I don't want to change names of all cities just cos some masses feel "Oh I need to get rid of the colonial mentality" and so choose some local name.

If you want to get rid of colonial mentality, we can do it by action. Not by all these fake gestures which are frankly done by politicians to appease the masses and the masses feel as if they have achieved something in life.

Confusion? Do you know if tourist numbers have dwindled because people cannot find the old city in the maps? Or have trains lost their way while going to the newly named city? How has the so called confusion negatively affected the city? Give a better reason.

Yes, we can get rid of colonial mentality by action. And renaming a city will not get rid of it entirely. But it is a step in getting rid of it and re asserting the regional identity. And every step must be lauded.

Confusion? Do you know if tourist numbers have dwindled because people cannot find the old city in the maps? Or have trains lost their way while going to the newly named city? How has the so called confusion negatively affected the city? Give a better reason.

Yes, we can get rid of colonial mentality by action. And renaming a city will not get rid of it entirely. But it is a step in getting rid of it and re asserting the regional identity. And every step must be lauded.

Changing of the name in various places is a problem.

Didn't mean confusion literally (my mistake) but yeah its kinda annoying for outsiders to see names changed.

Its not a step.

Its misplaced priorities and wastage of time.

Also overcompensation.

Not alien concepts in our country.

Changing of the name in various places is a problem.

Didn't mean confusion literally (my mistake) but yeah its kinda annoying for outsiders to see names changed.
And that is what I am asking, how was it a problem. What were the negative repercussions of the name change, except english medium elites getting annoyed and losing their fake anglicized identity.

Its not a step.

Its misplaced priorities and wastage of time.

Also overcompensation.

Not alien concepts in our country.

Then you are not aware of the powerful role symbolism and icons play in national/regional identity.

And that is what I am asking, how was it a problem. What were the negative repercussions of the name change, except english medium elites getting annoyed and losing their fake anglicized identity.

Then you are not aware of the powerful role symbolism and icons play in national/regional identity.

I am saying its a mess to change the name everywhere from records to public places to buses, trains, etc.

As for powerful role of symbolism, maybe I don't understand it.

But our rural masses have their own culture, religion for millenias and its not as if that has any impact on their progress.

I firmly believe all this is a huge waste of time. An act of "we are so proud of our culture even if we remain a mess as a society".

I am saying its a mess to change the name everywhere from records to public places to buses, trains, etc.

As for powerful role of symbolism, maybe I don't understand it.

But our rural masses have their own culture, religion for millenias and its not as if that has any impact on their progress.

I firmly believe all this is a huge waste of time. An act of "we are so proud of our culture even if we remain a mess as a society".

So your answer to the negative repercussion is the one time cost involved in changing the names in records and public places. Do you have any estimate on how much this one time cost of stationery and paint is?

So your answer to the negative repercussion is the one time cost involved in changing the names in records and public places. Do you have any estimate on how much this one time cost of stationery and paint is?

I said its a mess. Not about cost.

Some places will have the name changed fast, some places it won't be.

Annoying stuff.

You said there is no negative aspect. I said there is. Negative aspect doesn't have to be ground breaking issue or super costly stuff to be negative.

I said its a mess. Not about cost.

Some places will have the name changed fast, some places it won't be.

Annoying stuff.

You said there is no negative aspect. I said there is. Negative aspect doesn't have to be ground breaking issue or super costly stuff to be negative.

But does that "mess" have any negative repercussion. So far your reasons have been intangibles (it is lame, it is annoying, it is confusing, it is a mess). Those are not negative aspects. I want to know what were the negative consequences of renaming the cities.

[MENTION=133135]kaayal[/MENTION] do u have any idea about a certain halwa?? It is black in color and has cashewnuts.My neighours in mumbai were mallus.Whenever they came back from kerala they bought back goodies like banana chips, jackfruit chips and that halwa, the best halwa i had in my life.taste is very unique just don't remember the name

[MENTION=133135]kaayal[/MENTION] do u have any idea about a certain halwa?? It is black in color and has cashewnuts.My neighours in mumbai were mallus.Whenever they came back from kerala they bought back goodies like banana chips, jackfruit chips and that halwa, the best halwa i had in my life.taste is very unique just don't remember the name

Surprising that a mumbaikar found a better halwa from kerala. Isn't Mumbai famous for its varities of halwas.
I love banana chips too. At first I was reluctant to eat anything cooked in coconut oil, but once I tasted it, I would empty the banana chips packet my mallu colleague would bring to office.

Surprising that a mumbaikar found a better halwa from kerala. Isn't Mumbai famous for its varities of halwas.
I love banana chips too. At first I was reluctant to eat anything cooked in coconut oil, but once I tasted it, I would empty the banana chips packet my mallu colleague would bring to office.

I don't think mumbai is famous for halwas!! Yes being cosmopolitan it has food from all over indian.Kerala halwa was damn good! kerala is famous for halwa. I have had banana halwa from there too.. There was travel/food show in india and the host himself when he visited cochin was suprised by different varities of halwa there

314253_457619310955118_1129842508_n.jpg

banana chips can be very addictive.!i can finish 3-4 packets in a jiffy!

Yup i agree i esp like the one i get at Sri Krishna Sweets in Chennai if u ever go there make sure to taste it.

I lived in chennai for 3 years worked at covansys tambaram. First time tasted iyengar bakery sandwitch and got addicted to it

I don't think mumbai is famous for halwas!! Yes being cosmopolitan it has food from all over indian.Kerala halwa was damn good! kerala is famous for halwa. I have had banana halwa from there too.. There was travel/food show in india and the host himself when he visited cochin was suprised by different varities of halwa there

banana chips can be very addictive.!i can finish 3-4 packets in a jiffy!

You don't know Mumbai is famous for Halwa? Kolkata is famous for its sweets, Delhi for its chaat, and Mumbai for its Halwa. Derek O' Brien had asked me this question in a quiz. I love to try different halwas. Don't know which place is the origin of this class of dish, as the term halwa is used in middle east countries as well.

I lived in chennai for 3 years worked at covansys tambaram. First time tasted iyengar bakery sandwitch and got addicted to it

Have you tried apple cake from iyengar bakery? During the days when I was short on money, I used to have just two apple cakes for lunch (because most of my salary would go entertaining a malayali on the phone).

no mumbai is famous for vada pav and pav bhaji! yes it has halwa shops but it is not marathi in origin,from outside.I think Halwa has it's origins in middleeast

Black halwa/kalthappam is my favourite halwa. Kozhikode is the halwa city of kerala.:D

[QUOTE [MENTION=43028]K[/MENTION]aayal do u have any idea about a certain halwa?? It is black in color and has cashewnuts.My neighours in mumbai were mallus.[/QUOTE]

Must be the one made out of Jaggery.

Surprising that a mumbaikar found a better halwa from kerala

Kozhikode is famous for halwa.

Regarding Kozhikode, yes it was called by that name my malayalees as [MENTION=43028]K[/MENTION]ayal said.
The name changes in kerala have been nice, kinda restored the soul of the place.

Example:
Alleppey in colonial times, pronounced 'Alapee'. (ridiculous)
New name is Alappuzha. ( Puzha = river.)

But does that "mess" have any negative repercussion. So far your reasons have been intangibles (it is lame, it is annoying, it is confusing, it is a mess). Those are not negative aspects. I want to know what were the negative consequences of renaming the cities.

2 issues we have been discussing.

1. Was there a need for this thng and its impact on our society? Which I think is negligible considering our progress hasn't been impacted by our the unique culture and religion of each region.

2. Does this have negative consequences? For this, I agree with you. There are no negative repercussions. Changing names is a cumbersome process and it will lead to inconsistency in the names being used but there are no negative repurcussions of this aspect. You are right.

Mumbai is famous for "ice halwa". Everywhere I have visited in South has had a sweet shop advertising "Bombay halwa".

Images

That is nice to know that malayalis have a sweet tooth.

I am not sure. Everyone I know avoids sweets. they are for children only :sree
Most families will have at least one diabetic patient, so we avoid sweets generally ;)

I am not sure. Everyone I know avoids sweets. they are for children only :sree
Most families will have at least one diabetic patient, so we avoid sweets generally ;)

Not just Kerala, Andhra Pradesh is also full of diabetics. By Age 40, most of them are diabetic. They just never go to Doctors. So they pretend they are healthy.

Indians in general are genetically prone to diabetes. Desk jobs in front of computers are not helping at all for younger educated generation.

Does it taste like Bhaaji of paav-bhaji? Looks very similar.

Lol that's stuffed pearl spot fish in a banana leaf....totally different from pav bhaji.:D

Should try one when you are in Alappuzha.:19:

We are not the Britishers slave anymore. So why keep the name that replaced the original one first?

so when are you changing the name of India?

is it still called India assuming it was given by british?

Does it taste like Bhaaji of paav-bhaji? Looks very similar.

It is Kerala's official fish .
May be this will give a much better idea of the taste. The one in the above pic is cooked slightly differently (using banana leaves)
download.jpg

Back