Do you think Ian Bell is underrated?

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Before the start of this Ashes series everyone was talking about Peterson and Cook both of them are really good batsmen without any doubt but sometime i feel Bell is really underrated.

Bell so far is the highest run scorer in this series while other 2 are not even in top 3 even though they also scored some good runs in this series including that century by Peterson in last drawn match which helped England to score 300+ but still Bell is on Top of the list with his 492 runs in this series so far including 3 centuries and 2 fifties.

Most Runs in this Ashes series so far

9oyd.png

While i was writing this post he scored his 20th century in Tests...And now he is the 9th England batsman to score three centuries in an Ashes series...

Last edited:
His best ever series.

Always had great talent and is finally applying it.

I think it's fair to say that this series, albeit at home, is not showing us the quintessential avatar of Ian Bell we've come to know since 2004.

Props to him for that.

He's a very good batsman. Would have been a great had he not struggled so mightily against quality spin.

If he can score a century in next match he is going to be the 4th batsman after Bradman, Hammond and Sutcliffe to score 4 centuries in an Ashes series after 83 years...

Last edited:
Not underrated.

He is having a good series, but he is rarely the focus of the side. There is a reason the talk is about the big daddy hundred grinding Cook, the flamboyant matchwinner KP, and the usually consistent run machine Trott. Bell is on and off, and over the years he has at least turned most of his off days into average days. But that's simply it. We know he can be good, we know that he is the most technically talented batsman in the side, and he sometimes shows it.

Properly rated if he is playing in subcontinent but at home he is a bully and proving it now.

Bell has been a gun in this series scoring tough runs under pressure.
He was always a softy and striked me as someone who was mentaly weak. That seams to have changed but will have to wait and see if he reaches any levels of consistency.

He was always a softy and striked me as someone who was mentaly weak. That seams to have changed but will have to wait and see if he reaches any levels of consistency.

Marriage and fatherhood seems to have changed him. Bell knows who he is now, he's not looking for an identity any more.

Marriage and fatherhood seems to have changed him. Bell knows who he is now, he's not looking for an identity any more.

Haha you make him sound like a daytime TV character :bumble

He is a good batsman but nor under rated. this series has been great for him. But his batting form is on-off in his career.

yeah than can change a man and his perspective on life, greater responsibility and self identity.

Mentioning Bell's mental frailities is so passé. He has played some absolutely crunch knocks for England since 2009 . He only really struggled in UAE in the last four years.

I don't care whether the pitch played better or whatnot, but yesterday Bell looked more assured than KP. If I were an England supporter I'd have felt more relaxed and fulfilled watching him bat. Haters - time to put aside the Belly-up jokes.

Always had a great technique, he's finally cashing in and applying himself.

Brilliant to watch.

I feel he's over-rated.
People are constantly waxing lyrical about the guy, mainly because he's a treat to watch when he's going well. But he hasn't lived up to his talent. He's having a good series now, but like Cook in 2011, very lucky to be part of the squad going on recent performances

Always had the ability, but so far came across as soft. May be he is maturing as a player but let us wait and see if he can repeat this again.

500 runs now for Bell in 4 test matches...

Last edited:
Brilliant player. Finally adding a little steel and application to his batting that was his only downfall previously.

good in english conditions, however he is awful in asia

Not trying to downplay him, but has he performed against the best of this era for more than a couple of innings.?

I'm not convinced and I think he is overrated.

Asian batsmen are judged on their ability to play overseas. Bell has struggled in India & UAE against spin. He has also failed against superior attacks of his era

I'm not convinced and I think he is overrated.

Asian batsmen are judged on their ability to play overseas. Bell has struggled in India & UAE against spin. He has also failed against superior attacks of his era

He averages 54 at home; 52 in Pakistan; 44 in SA, Oz and NZ.

Of his 20 tons, 12 have come against SA, Pakistan, Oz and SL, who are generally considered to be the top bowling sides.

That's pretty damn good.

Struggles in India and UAE have thus far prevented him from being a 50 average player. He does have 4 tons against India but only one of them was in India.

that was a fantastic series by bell, reverse jinx played its part, can't wait to see him next in Asia, has he improved his technique or was this just his series?

I agree with Bob Willis, I think England should contemplate bringing him back as a stop-gap solution.

He is in very good form and perhaps they could even try him as an opener. These left-handers at the top of the order are not going anywhere.

I agree with Bob Willis, I think England should contemplate bringing him back as a stop-gap solution.

He is in very good form and perhaps they could even try him as an opener. These left-handers at the top of the order are not going anywhere.

Was mentally very weak. Fails to score when it matters the most.

He is a million miles ahead of guys like Jennings, popes etc..should be in the team for all formats..

I'd much rather see Vince be given another try then Bell whose test career is basically finished at this point

He was done as a batsmen back in 2015. No point bringing him back. He had a good run for 2-3 years IMO.

Would rather continue with new, young, talented players who potentially be much better than Ian Bell.

Back