Dunith Wellalage - The Sri Lanka spinner who is dismantling top quality line-ups

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
One of the heroes of the ICC Men's U19 Cricket World Cup 2022, all-rounder Dunith Wellalage, led Sri Lanka's exceptional bowling effort against India in Colombo in the Super 4 clash of Asia Cup 2023.

Wellalage picked up a maiden five-wicket haul, dismissing each of India's top four batters in a stunning spell to boost his chances of a maiden appearance at the senior Cricket World Cup next month.

The left-arm spinner came in with Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill building a solid opening stand and got rid of the latter with a delivery that turned sharply to beat the outside edge.

He nearly found a leading edge off Virat Kohli's bat next ball, and eventually dismissed him when a delivery on the shorter side stuck to the wicket and Kohli miscued the flick to mid-wicket.

Wellalage wasn't done, though, and broke through a settled Rohit's defence with a skiddy delivery that stayed low and crashed into leg-stump.

He went on to take the wicket of KL Rahul as well to completely dismantle India's top-order and finished off with a five-wicket haul, taking a wicket off the last ball he bowled.

Wellalage's five-for and Charith Asalanka's part-time off-spin that fetched four wickets meant that Sri Lanka's spinners took all 10 wickets in India's innings with Maheesh Theekshana taking the final one to bowl India out after the rain break.

This was the first time in a men's ODI that India had lost all ten wickets to spin. At the very same venue in 1997, Sri Lanka's spinners had taken nine wickets against India, which was the most until now for spinners against them in a men's ODI.

Wellalage's maiden haul of five wickets continues his progress as an international cricketer after excelling at the U19 stage in the 2022 ICC Men's U19 Cricket World Cup, where he topped the wickets chart with 17 scalps.

Rohit Sharma enters elite company with landmark achievement
He also had a good tournament with the bat, making 264 runs at an average of 44 including a hundred.

The effort from the spinners saw Sri Lanka bowl India out for 213 in the crucial Super 4 fixture of Asia Cup 2023.

ICC

Sri Lanka legend Lasith Malinga has heaped praise on Dunith Wellalage, after the young spinner had India's high-profile top-order in a spin with a superb bowling performance at the Asia Cup.

Wellalage picked up his maiden five-wicket haul at senior international level when collecting the outstanding figures of 5/40 against India at the Asia Cup on Tuesday and Malinga was suitably impressed.

Malinga took to social media immediately after Sri Lanka's clash to praise the efforts of Wellalage and the Sri Lanka great believes the young spinner has a bright future ahead of him.

"It’s fair to say that SL played with 12 players today. That’s how good Dunith was," Malinga wrote.

"He’s got a brilliant head on his young shoulders to go with his all-round skill set.

"I believe he’s on his way to becoming the most important player for SL in ODIs for the next decade."

While Wellalage has only played 13 ODIs for his country thus far, the left-armer looks set to play a a major role in Sri Lanka's ICC Men's Cricket World Cup campaign that commences in India next month.

Wellalage first showed his class by finishing as the leading wicket-taker at last year's ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup with 17 scalps at an average of 13.58.

The 20-year-old built on that promise by collecting the big wickets of Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul and Hardik Pandya during his breakout spell at the Asia Cup.

Malinga wasn't the only international star to be impressed by Wellalage's performance, with a host of other big names also taking to social media to share their thoughts.

While Sri Lanka failed to chase down India's total of 213, Wellalage capped off an excellent all-round performance by contributing 42* with the bat and picking up the Player of the Match award.

ICC

If i remember correctly, he was easily dealt with in India. Cant read too much into the performance on a turning track. Having said that, basics are very very good.

For me his 5fer yesterday was probably the GOAT one day spell I have witnessed

I had a tear in my eye witnessing that.

It felt as if I was Morgoth, and the beauty of the Silmarils made me put aside all the hate and anger I had within me, only to admire the beauty of such diamonds

Thread is about the spinner

Posts about the Pak v SL game go into the relevant thread

The guy is 20 year old and has already played 25 FC games. He deserves to succeed, unlike Shadab Khan

We have no spinner in the domestic circle right now who has the ability to trouble a good batting side and can tear them apart. We could work on a few like Abrar to get them ready for such challenges.

pehlay spinners nay kum tung keya wah hai? ab yaye konsi balaa agaye hai.

These guys are producing spinners upon spinners, but there batting is very bat.

He certainly has all the ingredients to be successful at the top level for a long time. He has great talent with both bat and ball and also has a wise head on his shoulders for such a young man.

It's Dunith Wellalage vs Pakistan at the moment.

Looks an intelligent spinner. These pitches have spun though so interested to see how he gets on outside SL.

A finger spinner who can bat at a fast strike rate is the only kind of finger spinner who is worth it. BCCI, take note when selecting frauds like our #7

I am sure this young lad won't let you feel the absence of Hasaranga, the way he bowls gives the impression of a highly experienced bowler.

He is going to be a one of the highest wicket taker in this world cup.

Fantastic unbeaten knock of 67 (65) from Dunith Wellalage against India in 1st ODI

An exceptionally gifted individual for Sri Lanka

Fantastic unbeaten knock of 67 (65) from Dunith Wellalage against India in 1st ODI

An exceptionally gifted individual for Sri Lanka
And he was handy with the ball too, taking 2/39 in 9 overs, which earned him the Man of the Match award.

Certainly future of Sri Lanka cricket is in safe hands

Dunith Wellalage has scored most of his runs against India in ODIs

Dunith Wellalage 30+ scores in ODIs

vs IND - 4
vs AFG - 2
vs others - 0

I'm already highly impressed by him. Such a calm, composed and focused player. He can play Jadeja like impact in tests for Lanka

Dunith Wellalage rips Indian batting lineup

He is just unstoppable at the moment

7plrb6t.png

Dunith Wellalage is the first spinner to take five wickets in an ODI against India on more than one occasion.

5/40 at Colombo RPS 2023
5/27 at Colombo RPS 2024

Back