England (325/9d & 374) inflict a 267-run defeat on New Zealand (306 & 126) to win the 1st Test

Tom Blundell scores fourth Test hundred for New Zealand, from 143 balls

What a player this Blundell is. If i am right and Blundell and Mitchell were the contributors in England as well when the main guys went missing. Even here Williamson and co went missing

306 all out. 19 runs deficit. Technically now it is a one innings game. But Blundell illustrated how you should play against thsi England. You cannot play phattu cricket against them.

England declared with 9 wickets down while they had played only 58 overs, Ollie Robinson was at the crease and he is a capable bat.

Now NZ are piling on runs for the last wicket and I'm loving this. Eng are overdoing it and this approach is bound to fail when opposition is strong.

Even in Pakistan series, England gave Pakistan very good chance of chasing down the target in first test and they lost wickets in a heap to Abrar trying to attack him in the 2nd test. It is a different story that Pak couldn't take advantage of the situation.

NZ all out for 306

Broad & Anderson now equal McGrath & Warne for most Test wickets as a bowling partnership ��

5QARXsH.png

England declared with 9 wickets down while they had played only 58 overs, Ollie Robinson was at the crease and he is a capable bat.

Now NZ are piling on runs for the last wicket and I'm loving this. Eng are overdoing it and this approach is bound to fail when opposition is strong.

Even in Pakistan series, England gave Pakistan very good chance of chasing down the target in first test and they lost wickets in a heap to Abrar trying to attack him in the 2nd test. It is a different story that Pak couldn't take advantage of the situation.

Beat NZ 3-0 at home.

The declaration made sense as the ball behaves differently under lights and England got three top-order wickets quickly. Balance the 20 runs Robbo might have added against the 100+ that the top order were likely to have got in the morning session.

Blundell was brilliant, this is how Kiwis needed to play last summer, this is how Pak needed to play. Only way to counter bazball is to dish them back. Something only Pant & Jadeja seemed to try. Really it would be super exciting to see bazball against the Indian spin trio. Unfortunately it's not gonna happen.

England's first Test against New Zealand is fascinatingly poised after Tom Blundell's superb century kept the hosts afloat on day two in Mount Maunganui.

Responding to England's first-innings 325-9 declared, New Zealand found themselves 83-5 and 182-7, either side of Devon Conway being dismissed for 77.

But wicketkeeper Blundell battled to his fourth Test hundred to drag New Zealand to 306 all out, a deficit of only 19, despite Ollie Robinson bowling superbly to claim 4-54.

Even though England's second innings started under floodlights, openers Ben Duckett and Zak Crawley added 50 in just 52 balls.

Duckett fell for 25 and Crawley 28, the latter signalling the arrival of Stuart Broad as England's 'nighthawk' for the first time.

Comically, Broad got away with skying Scott Kuggeleijn from his second ball - Kuggeleijn and Blundell watched as the ball dropped between them - leaving England 79-2, leading by 98.

What a mess this!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Village. Village. Village.<br><br>For you see this is the psychological effect the Night Hawk has on you. <br><br>A battle you simply won't win...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NZvENG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NZvENG</a> <a href="https://t.co/dfF5mg2A6E">pic.twitter.com/dfF5mg2A6E</a></p>— Cricket on BT Sport (@btsportcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/btsportcricket/status/1626496563114639362?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 17, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They won 6-1 in England last year. Those weren't flat tracks, they were seamers. One of those tests was against India, three against SA, three against full-strength NZ. Not exactly weak attacks.

talking about away. anyways, it was also one of the warmest summers in UK, some pitches getting flat on day 4, 5. also dukes produced a bad batch of balls in that period. watched all those record breaking chases by bairstow, yeah those were flat towards the end. extraordinary batting and great chases no doubt, but you can't say some of those tracks didn't go flat as the match progressed. and i need not say in detail about the pak pitches, don't know which other team would've played at 7 RR to force a result on those pitches but again those where the flattest tracks ever.

talking about away. anyways, it was also one of the warmest summers in UK, some pitches getting flat on day 4, 5. also dukes produced a bad batch of balls in that period. watched all those record breaking chases by bairstow, yeah those were flat towards the end. extraordinary batting and great chases no doubt, but you can't say some of those tracks didn't go flat as the match progressed. and i need not say in detail about the pak pitches, don't know which other team would've played at 7 RR to force a result on those pitches but again those where the flattest tracks ever.

They kept on changing the balls against us right in the 2nd dig?

<b>Now NZ are piling on runs for the last wicket and I'm loving this. Eng are overdoing it and this approach is bound to fail when opposition is strong.</b>

Hoping for England to fail in recent Test matches must be a consistently disappointing experience for you, given their 90% win rate under this captain and coach.

After your post, England fought back today, this time under lights with the bat, making good use of their positive front foot approach with quick scoring in tricky conditions to lift the pressure.

England and New Zealand are producing an exciting game of cricket here. Along with the India v Australia series, these are the sorts of contests which can keep Test cricket alive.

Why not let go of the agenda and just try to enjoy it.

What a mess this!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Village. Village. Village.<br><br>For you see this is the psychological effect the Night Hawk has on you. <br><br>A battle you simply won't win...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NZvENG?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NZvENG</a> <a href="https://t.co/dfF5mg2A6E">pic.twitter.com/dfF5mg2A6E</a></p>— Cricket on BT Sport (@btsportcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/btsportcricket/status/1626496563114639362?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 17, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am sure i recently saw something similar in a LOI game.

England are leading by 98 runs with 8 wickets in hand.

I think Kiwis can chase 250-300 down. Anything more than that should be challenging.

Pope is annihilating the Wagner short barrage, hitting 6 after 6 after 6. Brutal stuff.

Kuggeleun has a bit more pace. He is beating Pope for pace. But Wagner and Southee are pie chucking.

Even 10 years ago, NZ had great bench strength when it came to pace bowling.

It seems like their bench strength is now quite weak.

Embarrassingly slow off the pitch. A team that is intent on scoring quick will feast on these kind of bowlers.

Their idea is to keep hitting till dinner and use the evening condition. If NZ is smart about it they can create a bit of pa nic by taking 2 more wickets.

Their idea is to keep hitting till dinner and use the evening condition. If NZ is smart about it they can create a bit of pa nic by taking 2 more wickets.

Yup.

England probably need at least 300. 2 more quick wickets can put Kiwis on top.

I think short ball is the way to go based on the premise you can't have 100% connection against short ball all the time. Even punter/Rohit have succumbed to it occasionally. Not a bad plan on large grounds like MCG. But in NZ can go either way.

I think short ball is the way to go based on the premise you can't have 100% connection against short ball all the time. Even punter/Rohit have succumbed to it occasionally. Not a bad plan on large grounds like MCG. But in NZ can go either way.

Why are New Zealand grounds so small? Do they have less spaces?

Eden Park is ridiculous. It is like gully cricket.

England have scored 72/1 off the last 10 overs.

If New Zealand keep bowling the short ball and England keep taking it on, they’ll likely lose some more wickets but the economy rate will continue to be appalling.

Neil Wagner is a strange character. Been getting absolutely clattered for 8+ an over, gets a fairly lucky wicket amongst a shower of dross, celebrates like he has just bowled out Bradman’s middle stump. I’m not sure that the wicket of Ollie Pope was worth buying out like that.

It’s an interesting tactic from New Zealand. Essentially win or bust.

Why is Southee captain and not Williamson?

Don't think Southee is a great captaincy option for Test.

Why is Southee captain and not Williamson?

Don't think Southee is a great captaincy option for Test.

Fast bowlers rarely make good captains. Bumrah looked pedestrian in the absence of Rohit sharma in England. India had England on the mat on day 4 after Pant assault in first innings. Bumrah let them get away

Wagner's figure in this innings: 9-0-83-1.

I don't think I have ever seen such a figure in Test cricket before.

NZ is toast. They need a guy like Nathan Astle to have a go at anything they set. Their strategy is falling apart.

Lead is 205-4.

So far 107-2 scored in the session.

128 kph bouncer on a slow pitch lol Turned into a joke. They have removed all the wicket taking option and bank on short balls with no pace.

New Zealand have bowled only 3 overs of spin in the entire game (0 over in this innings). Unbelievable.

Why do they not select Ish Sodhi or Ajaz Patel for Test? They could've been handy on this pitch.

This has to be a seriously dumb strategy. I have never seen such a pathetic strategy in a long time. Okay there is nothing wrong in trying. But moment you find out it doesn't work you should try something else.

NZ better get ready for next test. This is gone for all money. Shockingly poor strategy and bowling.

Feels like Southee has been tactically done up like a kipper overnight. Clearly formulated a plan to counter England’s aggressive tactics with his own attacking barrage, but it got worked out by England quickly and the execution from New Zealand was dreadful.

Bracewell on.

Career ending spell for Wagner.

Tickner has pace. But that's about it. Don't see any notable skills. Have no clue how to set up a batsman either.

So many people watching test but credit goes to England for playing entertaining cricket .Wagner went for more than 10 runs/over , crazy.

So many people watching test but credit goes to England for playing entertaining cricket .Wagner went for more than 10 runs/over , crazy.

Actually it is one-sided so far. NZ was never in this test except for a brief period when Blundell got going. NZ has no arsenal to handle this all out attack. Jamieson and Boult probably would have made this attack better.

They can bring in Santner. He is a good LOI bowler. Given that England takes LOI approach it might work.

Root is really wasting his form with these kind of shots. He could have easily made 100 here. You got whole 2 days.

Back