England (421 & 76/3) defeat Sri Lanka (135 & 359) by 7 wickets to win the 1st Test

How Sri Lanka must be rueing their 1st innings ineptitude. Another 100 on the board and you'd probably back them as favourites.

Oops.

I fear for Sibley in India. His strange mobility in the crease does not bode well against spinners.

Sibley was getting bogged down against spinners last summer even on English pitches.

This is painful to watch.

England may or may not limp home.

Sure. We don't do well over there. Bit of a bogey destination for us. But atleast we dont huff and puff against minnows like Pakistan, Windies and SL 'C' sides.

Same England don't normally do well in india but I'm really confident this time

Bairstow appears to be batting with a cocktail stick.

We have to put Bess 3-100 and leach 5-120 in to perspective, this is a minefield

Last edited:
SL have produced the biggest rank turners in Asia in the last decade. Indian pitches have spun the least by comparison.

It's just beautiful to watch Embuldeniya bowl like this. High-class spin bowling, batsmen haven't got a clue.

Seems like Leach/Bess have ended Mo’s career as 1st/2nd choice spinner.

Lawrence is a great find, good to see Root find some form as well

That was hardly a battering! :))

Except at Lords, we made them sweat up all the way to the final sessions. Let's see how many sessions this England team wins in India.

Ah, losing 1-4 is a moral victory then?

I really wanted to see how root would do on this raging day 4 turner. Bairstow messed up an exciting contest

Seems like Leach/Bess have ended Mo’s career as 1st/2nd choice spinner.

Lawrence is a great find, good to see Root find some form as well

Not sure really , looking at the Lanka spinners this looks a minefield and leach and Bess went for to many on this, also India are quite comfortably the best players of spin in the world, they've made a good spinner like Lyon look ordinary in Australia

Is Sky Sports doing commentary from the studios in London? Dosen't look like they have crew on the field in Srilanka.

Just 36 more runs to go. England should win but you never know.

Disappointing performance from SL though.

Last edited:
Just 36 more runs to go. England should win but you never know.

Disappointing performance from SL though.

Actually SL came back very well. I expected an inninga defeat but good fightback from them.

Actually SL came back very well. I expected an inninga defeat but good fightback from them.

I meant overall.

They shouldn't have been in this position in the first place. This is a ground where they used to manhandle opponents.

Old SL probably would've crushed England at home.

Er7vQ-xUYAMegXZ

England faltered in the chase of 74, losing their top three with only 14 runs on the board, after bowling out Sri Lanka for 359 on day four in Galle.

SCORECARD

With a target of less than 100 to scale, England were expected to sail through but a sudden flurry of wickets at the start kept the lid on the visitors' scoring rate. Lasith Embuldeniya drew first blood for Sri Lanka in the first over of England's innings, knocking over Dom Sibley's stumps.

The Sri Lanka spinners troubled the England batsmen with their sharp turns and Embuldeniya was rewarded with another wicket when he dismissed Zak Crawley (8) in the fifth over, making him edge to Kusal Mendis at gully. With both openers back in the hut, England needed to play cautiously but a poor decision from Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root pegged them back further. The duo went for a tight single and Niroshan Dickwella raced towards short cover and aimed at the stumps to catch Root well short of the crease at the striker's end.

Dan Lawrence and Jonny Bairstow take England to 38/3 at stumps on day four.

Earlier in the day on 156/2, Sri Lanka looked to continue their solid batting display with Thirimanne on 76*. Dom Bess, who had taken a five-for in the first innings, struck straightaway getting nightwatchman Embuldeniya out for a duck. Thirimanne then combined with the experienced Mathews to lead Sri Lanka's charge.

The duo played their shots but refrained from taking any unnecessary risks. Their half-century stand helped the hosts to reduce the deficit to under 100. In the process, Thirimanne brought up his second Test ton. His first one had come way back in 2013, also in Galle, against Bangladesh.

England's spinners Leach and Bess did little to trouble the Sri Lankan batsmen, who made the most of the scoring opportunities that came their way.

However, England received a major boost with the second new ball when Sam Curran dismissed the set Thirimanne for 111 as the batsman got an inside edge while defending a ball that dipped in. Captain Dinesh Chandimal, who walked in next, struggled to get going but did add quick runs to take the hosts to 242/4 at lunch.

His resistance came to an end soon after Sri Lanka resumed the second session with Bess providing the breakthrough as Root pouched a sharp low catch at the first slip. Mathews was then joined by Dickwella at the crease and together the pair looked to frustrate the England bowlers.

The visiting bowlers bowled long spells without giving away too many runs but were left wicket-less for half of the second session. Mathews and Dickwella managed to get rid of the first innings deficit but with half their side gone, they did not have the luxury of taking too many risks.

Bess came into the attack to give yet another breakthrough, as Dickwella edged one to the keeper for a 74-ball 29. Leach at the other end then dismissed the newcomer Dasun Shanaka (4), disturbing his stumps with a sharply spinning delivery. Meanwhile, Mathews completed his 36th fifty in Tests just before the tea break.

The hosts looked to fatten their lead of 16 runs in the third session with Angelo Mathews leading the charge. After Wanindu Hasaranga's quick departure, Mathews and Dilruwan Perera took on the England bowlers and upped the scoring rate. But the search for quick runs proved fatal for both batsmen. Jack Leach first enticed Dilruwan (24) to come forward as Jos Buttler effected his first stumping in Test cricket. Mathews failed to last much longer and fell to Leach three overs later for a fighting 71, setting England a target of 74.

Leach finished as England's top wicket-taker in the innings with a five-for (5/122).

Sri lanka will be kicking themselves for the poor effort with bat in 1st inns. If they had 174 runs to play with instead of 74 they might have pulled off a win. England should scrape home from here.

Well done England.

Runs for the skipper, Buttler kept well, and the spinners bowled gradually better in SL’s second dig.

It was good that SL fought harder in the second half of the match and exposed England’s weak spots - another batting collapse, a green spin attack and some average fielding.

England took 1-0 series lead with a seven-wicket win in the first Test against Sri Lanka, gaining crucial points in the ICC World Test Championship.

The visitors stuttered at the start but eventually managed to scale the paltry target of 74, going 1-0 up in the series.

Needing 36 on the final day, the duo of Jonny Bairstow (35*) and Dan Lawrence (21*) shared an unbeaten half-century stand to take England home within the first hour on day five. Lawrence survived a couple of close calls at the beginning but the Sri Lanka bowlers did little to disturb the pair's rhythm.

With the victory, England gained 60 points, in the World Test Championship table. They are still fourth on the list and will eagerly await the result of the fourth Australia v India Test.

Sri Lanka, who had opted to bat first, were thoroughly outplayed in the first innings as they capitulated for 135. Dom Bess was the wrecker-in-chief in the first innings as he claimed his second five-wicket haul in Tests. In response, England were terrific with the bat, scoring 421 in the first innings.

Their captain Joe Root led from the front, scoring his fourth double ton in Tests. Debutant Lawrence also impressed with a well-made 73.

Sri Lanka showed more resolve in the second innings and fought back admirably. Their openers Kusal Perera and Lahiru Thirimanne shared a 101-run stand. Kusal made 62, while Thirimanne slammed a patient 111. The experienced Angelo Mathews also chipped in with a hard-fought 71.

However, England's huge first-innings lead meant that Sri Lanka had a mountain to scale and could only add 73 more before getting bowled out for 359. Jack Leach picked up five wickets, while Bess added another three to his match tally.

Chasing 74, the visitors faltered in the final hour on day four when they lost their top-order cheaply. However, Bairstow and Lawrence ensured England did not lose any more wickets to seem them safely home.

Joe Root was named the Player of the Match for his first innings knock of 228, his second double-century against Sri Lanka.

The teams will face off in the second Test, also in Galle, starting on Friday, 22 January.

England have won their last four overseas tests for the first time since Len Hutton was skipper, and are unbeaten in their last nine.

Valiant effort with the bat in the 2nd innings and with the ball at the start of England's chase, but not many teams are going to score 135 in the first innings of a Test and win

So packer wickets? That’s England’s strength.

Packer wickets? Lol. England are strong on pitches that seam a bit and with a Dukes ball in hand. You will most likely get the wickets you got last time.

Which means , if our team is at full strength and fitness, I dont expect English bowlers, pacers or spinners,to have any impact.

Packer wickets? Lol. England are strong on pitches that seam a bit and with a Dukes ball in hand. You will most likely get the wickets you got last time.

Which means , if our team is at full strength and fitness, I dont expect English bowlers, pacers or spinners,to have any impact.

Faster wickets. Darned phone autocorrect.

I have no recall of what they were like last time. I would like bouncy wickets to help Broad, Wood and Archer.

Faster wickets. Darned phone autocorrect.

I have no recall of what they were like last time. I would like bouncy wickets to help Broad, Wood and Archer.

Last time you got mostly flat wickets with a bit of turn but nothing like what we have seen in SL.

Not that I think we’ll be whitewashed and beaten out of sight in India or anything; but after seeing some of the cracks in our side that appeared towards the end of this match, I do worry that we will get edged out by a strong Indian team over the course of a full series. Even with the world-class Stokes coming back.

Don’t get me wrong. I am impressed. Any overseas side winning a Test match in the Subcontinent is a big deal. It is a gruelling task that usually takes the full five days. It isn’t easy, and this was a big win, with loads of positives to take. It was just.... also quite a flawed win.

Last edited:
Back