England v West Indies || 1st Test Lords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Game starts on Thursday with england massive favourites. W.I May go into game with 4 Pacer/seamers and they do have the attack to take 20 wickets. Question will be can there mediocre batting line up put runs on board to compete.

Jonny Bairstow is likely to make his england debut.

Should be good if the rain holds off. Bravo is in a bit of form and seems to be able to play the swinging ball.

Should be good if the rain holds off. Bravo is in a bit of form and seems to be able to play the swinging ball.

W.I top 3 is very inexperienced and i can see them being knocked over time and time again early in this series.

Considering that the W.I. had a better chance against Australia earlier in the season, I don't expect anything other than three massive defeats. I can see England regularly being bowled out by this excellent W.I. pace attack during the series, but sadly the batting just won't hold up in these conditions. Would be absolutely thrilled if proven otherwise.

Finally some cricket, how long it has been since i last watched a match?

yep finally get to see those outswingers from hell from anderson, best bowler in these conditions.

Pretty much Barath and edwards will need to batten down the hatches and fight through this 1st session! W.I were always going to struggle against the swining ball.

I actually quite enjoy a radio commentary feed.
Yeah it's weird. Most sports I can't stand it, but I can with cricket. In fact sometimes I prefer to listen to TMS as you can do other stuff while listening, and honestly I think the commentators on TMS are better than the ones on TV. But perhaps it's down to they put more effort as there's no real picture to aid them.

It's just mind boggling how the number 1 test batsman in the world comes in to bat at 5.

Chanders needs to bat at 3, the best position for the best batsman of the team.

Decent start by Windies. Lost there first two wickets well before the 50 mark, but this pair has been solid. If they don't loose any wickets and surpass 100-2, it'll have been a good morning/day.

I concur, a direct switch with Kirk should do it - especially seeing how Kirk is a much better player when the ball isn't swinging and is probably one of the better players of spin (is aggressive and uses his feet well).

4/5 is more then an ideal postion for him in the line up. Sometimes he cant be helped if rest of batting is poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur, a direct switch with Kirk should do it - especially seeing how Kirk is a much better player when the ball isn't swinging and is probably one of the better players of spin (is aggressive and uses his feet well).
chanderpaul's better against spin too. And in terms of shepherding the tail/lower down batsmen, there's no one better in the team.

An easy solution might be to just switch around Darren and Kirk.

Much as I love Bressie, I would prefer to see Finn play. He has more pace and bowls a lot of wicket taking balls.

chanderpaul's better against spin too. And in terms of shepherding the tail/lower down batsmen, there's no one better in the team.

An easy solution might be to just switch around Darren and Kirk.

That's true, but it's about managing your resources and getting the best out of an inexperienced batting line-up. I really cringe seeing Kirk struggle facing the new ball when I've seen him do so well when the shine's off; plus watching Chanders consistently run out of partners is equally annoying. I guess Darren at 3, Chanders at 4 and Kirk at 5 would be my best bet.

Good comeback by Bravo and Barath. 51 run partnership after 32-2.

WI tail is poor, often Shiv runs out of partners. If he could bat up the order, WI can make 30-40 runs extra.

Yes, especially on this tour.

Chanders at 3 & k Edwards at 5 would be better.

I would also drop Powell and draft in B Nash currently with Kent as a makeshift opener. He has done well this season in tough conditions.

Just woke up. Glad to see there is plenty of game left and ill follow along ob my phone as I head down to the city. From what I hear Broad and Bresnan were mediocre while Jimmy put on a show with swing bowling?

Chanderpaul playing the role of Dravid here. Still, stifling the score with 127/4, a very comfortable position so far though another wicket or two before Tea would be ideal.

Onions on the balcony, he could be bowling now, ahead of Bairstow.

if west indies can score 400-500 runs in the 1st innings, a draw will happen probably.

i can not picture west indies winning a test, but they can certainly draw.

Jonathon Trott on for his medium pace. Playing till tea then it is.

11 more runs and they've done better than their first innings last time round at Lord's (a WI team which included Gayle, Sarwan, Nash, and Jerome Taylor).

England on top here. Even 300 something won't be enough. Needed a big score, and looks like they won't get it considering these are their last two batsmen.

Jimmy's bowled well. Really is Mr.consistent these days on all surfaces.

England on top here. Even 300 something won't be enough. Needed a big score, and looks like they won't get it considering these are their last two batsmen.

Jimmy's bowled well. Really is Mr.consistent these days on all surfaces.

I can't speak for his first session, but I wasn't too impressed with his second spell. It was good, and had some lovely deliveries that certainly deserved wickets (and he deserved at least one where Swann should have caught it), but he had some ineffective short balls and a few balls too far outside off that he could have cut down on.

Still a pretty good spell, but nothing more.

I was almost impressed with Bresnan's short spell. But he wasn't threatening so much as just very tight with a few good looking deliveries thrown in.

I can't speak for his first session, but I wasn't too impressed with his second spell. It was good, and had some lovely deliveries that certainly deserved wickets (and he deserved at least one where Swann should have caught it), but he had some ineffective short balls and a few balls too far outside off that he could have cut down on.

Still a pretty good spell, but nothing more.

I was almost impressed with Bresnan's short spell. But he wasn't threatening so much as just very tight with a few good looking deliveries thrown in.
Only watched bits of it and the stuff I saw was good. Though I probably saw more of the first session.

Funny, because most of the stuff I saw from Bresnan was pretty non threatening. I wasn't particularly impressed. And I'm a huge fan of the guy.

Not a bad effort by WI. This partnership is growing without any issues for the batsmen. Anything near 300 and WI will have a decent first innings score.

if WI somehow manages 100 more runs then it will be interesting game, other wise, it's one-way!

chanderpaul should be kicked out of team, wat good are his runs when they don't controbute anything to team victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back