England Vs New Zealand | 2nd Test | Old Trafford

Huge leg cutter by O'Brien and A Cook is given out(i think he was a touch unlucky there)

33-1

Last edited:
9.3 O'Brien to Cook, OUT, what a ball! He's nipped one out, pitching on off and jagging back in alarmingly, that's almost like a legbreak that Warne would have been proud of, his bat is facing the covers and the ball strikes into the pads, huge appeal and Taufel gives that after a bit of consideration, that probably did too much but such balls usually stun umpires into giving it, it was simply too good
AN Cook lbw b O'Brien 19 (26b 3x4 0x6) SR: 73.07

only 44 overs bowled today and some commentator on radio who is going to pay for this. Only one hour today was bowled at proper over rate.

Play starts after tea

England run rate 2.5 per over and falling. Peter Moores will no doubt be delighted.

Strauss on 30 dropped by Taylor
Eng 60-1 after 25.1 - Last 10 ovs 18/0 RR 1.80

25.1 Vettori to Strauss, no run, dropped, superb start to the spell, slower one this time, Strauss goes back and pokes tentatively, the edge deflects off the keeper's pads but Taylor, at first slip, grasses that. Surely the deflection messed things up for him. Big chance that

30.4 Oram to Strauss, no run, pushed back to the bowler, normalcy is restored, zzzzzz

Strauss 33 - Vaughan 20
England 76/1 (31 ov) @ RR 2.45
Min overs remaining 27.0 but 1 hour left. if needed play can go on till 7 pm local time

These 2 doing an ok job but will need to score faster if they are interested in winning the test match.

Strauss out on 60 ct behind off O'Brien
England 111/2 (43.5 ov) @ 2.53

43.5 O'Brien to Strauss, OUT, what a sensational catch! Brendon McCullum you beauty, that's the magic that was needed to make a game of this, full and moving away, O'Brien has put it in the corridor, the edge is taken and McCullum takes off, gymnastic dive to his left and pulling off a low, one-handed catch inches from the ground. O'Brien is so stunned that he could as well have opened a dinner invite from Julia Roberts. That was a McCullum special

Last edited:
141-3, and despite bright sunshine, England persist in their totally braindead policy of always using a nightwatchman regardless of conditions. :20: :12:

Very strange innings from Micheal Vaughan i thought he would pick up the scoring rate but he never did!

Stumps 152-4.

New Zealand in complete command and deservedly so. There was only one team playing positive cricket out there today, and it certainly wasn't England.

KP, Bell, Collingwood, Ambrose, Broad, so lots of batting left. Just need to apply themselves and the game should be safe. If they can get 450 or so (seems far away right now but only needs a big KP hundred for the momentum to shift) then they can force the win as NZ batting is weak

Credit to the Kiwis.

I thought they would get hammered by England in this series, but they have shown that they are still a competitive side despite there being no Bond, Fleming, Astle.

How much of a moron is Ian Smith? The ball pitches miles outside the line, and he continuously keeps saying "just out the line."

KP gets away with another one. Inside edge onto pad, taken behind by the keeper, but no appeal from the Kiwis!

We're making them look good like we did for much of the winter. We had batsmen set yesterday, but at no stage did they make any attempt to break the shackles. This is the kind of pitch where you're going to get the odd unplayable ball, so we need to be scoring runs.

When Collingwood and Ambrose set about them in Wellington, they fell apart, and something like that needs to happen now.

OMG! Bell out now, so it's down to the same pair to do exactly that.

lol. This is a joke. Might as well forfeit the innings and follow on, as opposed to bowling again 200 runs behind. Is it raining yet?

I was in England earlier this year and picked up the Wisden Cricketer from Heathrow as I usually do. On the cover was Ian Bell, with a headline stating something like this: ''Ian Bell - The next England Great.''

I had a good chuckle.

Whippy said:
lol. This is a joke. Might as well forfeit the innings and follow on, as opposed to bowling again 200 runs behind. Is it raining yet?
Or maybe be asked to follow on instead?

Collingwood plumb LBW off Vettori, 164-7, still 18 needed to avoid the follow-on.

Gee Botham goes abit quiet when things arent going well for England doesn't he? It's pretty refreshing not having to endure that prat for a change.

From the cheers greeting the first boundary of the morning, you'd think we'd just won the Ashes.

Just popped out to get some milk & bread - and 3 wkts fall!

Collapso!

How long before Ambrose follows Jones, Read, that other 40 year old, and Prior and is dropped for one reason or the other?

I guess the only consolation is that the batting conditions are pretty poor, and we could knock them over cheaply today after this debacle is over and done with. Or it needs a good 2nd innings batting display from England and some rain. If these things don't happen, looks like the wonderful 3 match unbeaten streak is at an end :))

This innings has been a write off but at least the next one can't be any worse. Here's hoping for a more tolerable performance in the 2nd half of the test that will give us a 3rd test decider!

Sheikh said:
Doubt the hobbits would have enforced it.

I don't see why not. Their bowlers are still fresh, there's rain forecast, and they've played positively throughout this match.

Big Harvey said:
I don't see why not. Their bowlers are still fresh, there's rain forecast, and they've played positively throughout this match.
The temptation of Vettori bowling on the 4th and 5th days with England facing a target of 350+ would be too great.

They have to bat positively though.

My wife has commented that whenever a scorecard flashes up on the screen there's a sound similar to that of a toilet flushing. Quite appropriate, I think...

202 all out. NZ lead by 179.

Excellent stuff by New Zealand, who have taught England a lesson in positive cricket. Vettori was on top of the batsmen throughout, and was ably assisted by his seamers.

Horrible, complacent, negative batting by England yesterday paved the way for the disastrous collapse today.

England learnt from the batting ways of negativity from India's tour of SA last year :p... where Dravid and Tendulkar killed off all momentum with blocking and blocking.

volcyz said:
England learnt from the batting ways of negativity from India's tour of SA last year :p... where Dravid and Tendulkar killed off all momentum with blocking and blocking.

:)))

Tendu and Dravid...perfect combination if you want to fall asleep

How looks very confident with willow in hand and has done a job for the kiwis at top of order in this series so far.

N.Z 49/1 - Lead 228

300+ and i think kiwis will win this.

I think NZ already have enough runs. It would take a brave man to declare with this lead though...

NZ has 2-3 sessions they can bat. Too early to declare
NZ 72/2 after 21 overs @ 3.42 - lead by 251

Situation is tailor made for Oram...............lol

Panesar v McCullum a very very interesting battle! So far Panesar been the winner!

24.4 Panesar to McCullum, OUT, he's got another! not that much turn this time, almost a straighter one, he's tried to sweep that but missed it completely, struck on the hips and that's plumb, Taufel gives that one straight away, Monty is leading a fightback here

BB McCullum lbw b Panesar 0 (3b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

NZ 85-4 - lead of 264

PlanetPakistan said:
Monty Monty Panesar gets another one

85-4
Why is Vettori batting at #6?

Flynn still recovering from that awful hit and Oram was off the field for a while in the England innings

cars112 said:
Flynn still recovering from that awful hit and Oram was off the field for a while in the England innings
Thanks!

ENG do have the potential to bowl NZ out for around 160.

PlanetPakistan said:
ENG do have the potential to bowl NZ out for around 160.

Yep. However they'll need KP to play one of his great innings to win. If he goes early England will probably lose

The number of twists and turns in this match is a good reminder why T20/IPL is an utter joke compared to Test cricket

Back