[EXCLUSIVE] “It hasn’t been the overseas pacers that have been impressive, it’s been some of the locals”: Ian Pont

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Former Essex cricketer and elite fast bowling coach, Ian Pont, talks to Saj Sadiq about all things related to fast bowling and PSL 9

- Introduction
- Thoughts on Mohammad Ali
- On Ihsanullah's bowling action
- Observations on Naseem Shah's comeback and bowling action
- Overall quality of pace bowling in the PSL
- On Dahani's lackluster PSL so far
- On Haris Rauf's form
- Shaheen Shah Afridi's increase in pace
- Thoughts on U-19 bowlers (Mohammad Zeeshan and Ubaid Shah) in the PSL

Detailed interview below:

Interesting to note that Catherine Dalton, coach of Multan Sultans is here student and interestingly, Mohammad Ali aka Daisy is also playing from the same side.

Nice to see how deep his analysis is about the pacers of Pakistan. I am expecting him to get a chance of coaching by any PSL franchise next year.

Brilliant as usual.

I am interested in knowing if there is any other expert with such deep analysis of Pakistan pacers!

we ve been blessed with talent but the lack of professionalism in the system has cost us for decades.

His final point of polishing off our Fast bowling talent was an extremely valid one and one in which the PCB should take heed.

It is always fascinating listen to Ian Pont about fast bowling. Great analysis by him on Ihsanullah. I hope Ihsanullah will get a chance to see this interview that should be helpful for him. Another thing that he mentioned about the developing the talent properly. I think this is the thing where we are lacking for the number of years and this thing should get taken care of a lot better to get good results from these talented players in the long run.

I think we need a bowling coach that has qualifications and isn't necessarily relying on his reputation as an ex player. Someone like Bharut Arun ( wont happen) Otis Gibson or Ian Pont.

Nice to see how deep his analysis is about the pacers of Pakistan. I am expecting him to get a chance of coaching by any PSL franchise next year.
His stint with QG in their initial seasons was just remarkable so yep could play a great part for some other franchise too.

His stint with QG in their initial seasons was just remarkable so yep could play a great part for some other franchise too.
Since then he's not been interested in joining PSL after how he was probably dealt with during then. Otherwise surely he would've been part of it by now especially with Multan Sultans.

Since then he's not been interested in joining PSL after how he was probably dealt with during then. Otherwise surely he would've been part of it by now especially with Multan Sultans.
Yep and MS female coaches are just his pupils.

I wonder why Naseem places his front foot like that angling way towards fine leg when it puts a lot of stress on his body. I suppose it should be an easy issue to fix.

But at the same time Pont also says, that's the ideal way to bowl to a left hander. So I wonder if Naseems bowling averages to lefties is better compared to right-handers. Will try to check when I have time.

f3cjRcw.png

PCB have been in touch with Ian wanting him to work with Pakistani pacers, but due to his own commitments they've not been able to agree on a contract.

Also the PCB have wanted him to sign up for a long period, but he has wanted to do short-term stints.

He has also asked PCB to send some pacers over to the UK for coaching stints, but the PCB haven't done that.

PCB have been in touch with Ian wanting him to work with Pakistani pacers, but due to his own commitments they've not been able to agree on a contract.

Also the PCB have wanted him to sign up for a long period, but he has wanted to do short-term stints.

He has also asked PCB to send some pacers over to the UK for coaching stints, but the PCB haven't done that.
I was aware that he has his own academy and would always be very reluctant to do a full time coaching job.

PCB could have his services on short term basis and get some upcoming and young pacers into his academy in the UK during the off season to work on their bowling and get some much needed technical coaching.

PCB aren't very proactive and don't think he will be willing to be joining even in a short capacity very well knowing how unprofessional PCB are how they operate.

Don't expect anything good from the PCB...they can't plan beyond 6 months..boomer uncles memory starts going after a few weeks..

Ian should ask the PCB to send 2 PCB officials and their families to accompany each pacer in the UK. They will send the pacers over straight away in that case.

Ian should ask the PCB to send 2 PCB officials and their families to accompany each pacer in the UK. They will send the pacers over straight away in that case.
Haha. Probably true.

PCB officials would offer to help Ian forever if their families could have a free holiday :)

I was aware that he has his own academy and would always be very reluctant to do a full time coaching job.

PCB could have his services on short term basis and get some upcoming and young pacers into his academy in the UK during the off season to work on their bowling and get some much needed technical coaching.

PCB aren't very proactive and don't think he will be willing to be joining even in a short capacity very well knowing how unprofessional PCB are how they operate.
That's what he offered PCB.

Send a few over to the UK, but the offer was declined.

Am not a deep follower of pak cricket, but i felt when Mohmmad hasnain came on the scene a few years back , he had terrific raw pace and a good action. i feel he will be the kind of guy who will benefit from guys like Ian pont, who is a wonderful pace bowling coach

Unfortunately we may never see Ian in a coaching role for PCT. As PCB is a pure political board rather than a cricket one.

I like the look of Jahandad Khan.

I think he's definitely a cricketer who has potential and a bright future if he works on his game and areas of weakness.

Back