Former Test Captain Saeed Ahmed passes away

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The Pakistan Cricket Board is saddened over the passing away of the former Test Captain and holder of Pakistan’s Test cap number 27, Saeed Ahmed, at the age of 86 years. He represented Pakistan in 41 Test matches, scoring 2,991 runs with the help of five centuries and 16 half-centuries. He also took 22 wickets with his right-arm off-spin bowling.

Saeed made his Test debut against West Indies during the Bridgetown Test in 1958 and played his last Test for Pakistan in Melbourne during the 1972/73 tour. He was Pakistan’s sixth Test captain and replaced Hanif Mohammad as skipper of the side during England’s tour of Pakistan in 1969. He only led Pakistan for three Tests.

Chairman PCB Mohsin Naqvi: “The PCB is saddened over the demise of one of our former Test captain and expresses deep condolences to the family of Saeed Ahmed. He served Pakistan with all his heart and the PCB honours his record and services for the Test team.”

May his soul rest in peace, and may his family find comfort and solace during this difficult time.

Passed away in the holy month. May Allah (SWT) bless him and grant him paradise in the hereafter.

@Major

This is sad news bro. I remember you had the privilege of meeting him.

An eccentric character from what I've read.

He liked a good time in his playing days before becoming one of the first Pakistani cricketers to join the Tableeghi Jamaat.

There's a YouTube clip of a ceremony from the 1997 Quadrangular tournament hosted to celebrate 50 years of Pakistan's independence. Many of the ex-Pakistan captains and greats were there, taking a lap around the ground on horse drawn carriages, with then President Leghari on a podium to greet them and exchange polite pleasantries.

When it's Saeed Ahmed's turn, he goes off on a tirade as a bemused Leghari tries to move him on ! Unfortunately the clip cuts this out but it was hilarious.

RIP.

Saeed Ahmed wasn't just an eccentric personality - he could play too with a decent Test average of 40 in a team that pre-1970 lacked quality batsmen besides Hanif Mohammad.

He contributed to save the famous Barbados Test in 1958 vs West Indies where Hanif scored his epic 337. Pakistan trailed by 573 runs going into the 2nd innings !

One thing @Major mentioned in his great writeup on his encounter with Saeed Ahmed which I didn't know was he played in the Lancashire League for Nelson.

English club cricket was the equivalent of modern day T20 leagues providing valuable income in an era of very limited earning opportunities for cricketers. The Lancashire Leagues were the most prestigious and lucrative. Nelson is a mini-Pakistan anyway so ideal for our players.

His brother Younis Ahmed also played Test cricket but didn't have the same success. His career was interrupted after he went on a Rebel Tour to South Africa.

Really sad news. Meeting a veteran cricketer is one great experience as you get to here some great stories

Inna lilahi wa inna ilhyi rajioon.

May Allah swt forgive his sins and shower him in mercy.

He was in his mid 70s when i met him. The thing that I remember about that meeting was, while his group was giving a religious talk, but as soon as I talked cricket with him, his energy would suddenly change. He may have been 70+, he may have belonged to the oldest generation of Pakistani cricketers, but you can tell that even at that age this guy had the passion. He loved cricket.

One of the best meetings i ever had with an ex cricketer. Till this day me friends and I look back at our meeting with Saeed sa'ab.

It sucks, how much media channels and this ex cricketer youtubers spend sprouting garbage, why not start a series with the oldest Pakistani generation of cricketers and here out there stories. There stories are a must listen to.

Inna lilahi wa inna ilhyi rajioon.

May ALLAH grant him the highest rank in JANNAH. AMEEN

Inna Lil’Lahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raji’un.

Going to the next stage during the blessed month of Ramadan as well.

These sort of legends are the founding fathers of our cricket, back when we were true professionals who genuinely cared about Pakistan cricket and not playing this “unpredictable” shtick on and off the field.

Back