[VIDEOS] Shan Masood as Pakistan Test captain performance watch

Shaan Masood had a bit of a lifeline. Edged one to the slips but bounced short of Usman Khawaja.

It seems like Pakistani cricket fans fall in love with all the wrong things. Who cares if Shan scores fast if he averages 30. A score of 30(40) in Test from your #3 bat is horrible.

I did not think he should have been made captain, but after it was done I have given him my support. I hope he actually goes on to score a big innings here. A 70(150) would be way more useful than a 30(40).

It seems like Pakistani cricket fans fall in love with all the wrong things. Who cares if Shan scores fast if he averages 30. A score of 30(40) in Test from your #3 bat is horrible.

I did not think he should have been made captain, but after it was done I have given him my support. I hope he actually goes on to score a big innings here. A 70(150) would be way more useful than a 30(40).

Well, depends on which side of our bed we wake up on when it comes to Shan

If we score at snails pace, we have no urgency

When we score at better rates, we don't need that etc

Fact is Pakistan scoring well at similar rate to Australia so I am happy for now

Well, depends on which side of our bed we wake up on when it comes to Shan

If we score at snails pace, we have no urgency

When we score at better rates, we don't need that etc

Fact is Pakistan scoring well at similar rate to Australia so I am happy for now
Yeah there’s so much time left in the Test to bat. We could bat the next 2 days and still have plenty of time to bowl them out.

I just hope Abdullah/Shan/Babar go on to make big scores and bat long.

Shan should look to bat through the 3rd session and it will be a good day for Pakistan then. Pakistan not loosing another wicket here will put them in the driving seat for sure.

Shan has changed his approach and he is among the best when attacking. Good to see a Pakistan Batter here.

1703653934924.png

SHan relaxed his partner Abdullah because he was also stuck on the crease when imam was playing but as soon as shan came with an attacking intent, Abdullah also started doing well before he was dismissed.

Impressive Shan . Not easy to come back strong after heavy defeat and batting well too . I’m sure Babar would have given up all hopes after that defeat and kept his friends in team .

Leading from the front. Captain Shan Masood got his fifty and that too in quick time off just 63 balls. Very good batting and some intent shown by the skipper.

While the 2 other 6's were down the groud lower % risk shots, this one was a good ol' swipe across the line. Not the best shot, Pakistan really needed him to hang around a bit longer.

Impressed with his approach. We always face humiliation in Australia but Shan has been refreshing so far as captain.

Got the right attitude . His captaincy is pro active, and he set clever traps for the Aussie bats to fall into. All in all I've been impressed.

Also it's imperative, the other leadership in the team of Rizwan and Babar support him .

He gave his wicket away at the wrong time which led to a calapse.

He's limited talent wise but he had the right approach to compete with Australia you need to be aggressive and positive and counterpunch he has done that now compare how proactive he was and snails pace imam ul haq who wasn't getting anywhere and at one point Austrilia were appealing every delivery that's the pressure imam brings on himself and the other batsmen.

The nature of this pitch is your never in and you will always have a ball with your name on it against such a formidable bowling unit so there's no point farting around in the middle but make sure the scoreboard ticks along.

I'd rather lose with positive intent than lose under a wimp type approach.

That's the maximum what he can conjure a brisk 50 odd, much appreciated

Liking what I'm seeing so far... good to see him lead the way with the bat although I wish he was able to convert this into a hundred but I'll take the solid 50 considering the circumstances. Impressed by his captaincy and field placements so far

He's limited talent wise but he had the right approach to compete with Australia you need to be aggressive and positive and counterpunch he has done that now compare how proactive he was and snails pace imam ul haq who wasn't getting anywhere and at one point Austrilia were appealing every delivery that's the pressure imam brings on himself and the other batsmen.

The nature of this pitch is your never in and you will always have a ball with your name on it against such a formidable bowling unit so there's no point farting around in the middle but make sure the scoreboard ticks along.

I'd rather lose with positive intent than lose under a wimp type approach.
But thiers a time and place for attacking and after losing Babar he should have kept his calm and composure.

Strange that no spin yet from Pakistan. Alex Carey is here. Shan should bring in salman for a few overs.

Message to Shan

Only Virat Kohli can launch that counterpunch - Please don't do anything silly in the 2nd innings

In Tests, Shan Masood averages 24.52 against pace bowlers and 36.94 against spin bowlers. An intriguing fact is that he has never been dismissed for 0 by any spinner in Tests.

Masood perhaps a bit too defensive to Cummins. Cummins just came in, perhaps it would have been better to put him under more pressure early on.

0tuzwdK.png

Funny stat: Shan Masood the first visiting batter to make two fifties in an MCG Test since Virat Kohli in 2014. And Masood played at a fast rate. Impressive stuff by him so far.

Shan has done his job. He could have stayed a bit longer and scored a century but still, it was a good knock. Now the responsibility is on Babar to stay out there and steer the ship to victory.

In Tests, Shan Masood averages 24.52 against pace bowlers and 36.94 against spin bowlers. An intriguing fact is that he has never been dismissed for 0 by any spinner in Tests.

Shan Masood is the leading run-scorer for Pakistan in the ongoing Test series against Australia.

Matches 2
Runs 146
Ave 36.50

First Test (30 & 2)
2nd Test (54 & 60)

Shan Masood's performance in the ongoing Test series against Australia has been commendable. As the leading run-scorer for Pakistan, he's shown true leadership as the team's captain. Despite the unfortunate losses in both tests, Masood's unwavering efforts and intent while playing on the challenging Australian wickets are admirable.

Shan Masood is the leading run-scorer for Pakistan in the ongoing Test series against Australia.

Matches 2
Runs 146
Ave 36.50

First Test (30 & 2)
2nd Test (54 & 60)

Shan Masood's performance in the ongoing Test series against Australia has been commendable. As the leading run-scorer for Pakistan, he's shown true leadership as the team's captain. Despite the unfortunate losses in both tests, Masood's unwavering efforts and intent while playing on the challenging Australian wickets are admirable.
Pakistani captains scoring 50+ in both innings of a Test match in Australia:

Hanif Mohammad in 1964 (104 & 93)

Imran Khan in 1983 (83 & 72*)

Shan Masood in 2023 (54 and 60)

Impressively, his performance in both innings stands out as a remarkable achievement, marking him as the first Pakistan captain since 1983.

Batted really well. Showed a very positive attitude. He needs to be given at least couple of years because its not as if our team is going anywhere

Good job as a captain. He can't do anything if his fielders drop sitters. He did the best he could do.

What an inspiring captain , leading from the front . One of the better captain to lead Pakistan down under , quite a change from some of the worst one we had in the past like Misbah and Yusuf .

it will take a few series before he settles in but so far he's been good, lets not forget he's still carrying garbage players left by the previous captains. once he builds his own team he will be a good captain

Overall Shan was good in his fielding placements, i am impressed with his captaincy.

Unfortunately he got a very difficicult tour upfront as a captain

Left a suspect shafique in the slips even after already dropping a few which we paid the price for.
Other than that he batted much better than I thought he would and other field placings have been done with more nous than Babar.
Overall pleasantly surprised, thought we were in for much worse before the tour began tbh

Like his captaincy and approach overall. Hardly ever used to see planned dismissals with fields set for specific player and shot like we saw now few times already.
Unfortunaly it's a tough tour,missing key bowlers , and playing the top class test side with much more experience still managed to make a good comeback and almost get close to win had we take all our chances.

I thought his captaincy was excellent.

He was making reasonable adjustments throughout the game and his only blemish was Shafique's field position. He put way too much faith in Shafique who didn't deserve it at all.

Regardless, I want to see him with better resources because he is working with a subpar collection of players right now. Over time, I think he will be able to build a good unit around himself because his mindset is great on the field.

Shan has proved his critics wrong so far. He has been good so far both as a captain and as a batter. I will rate his 3.5 out of 5 just because he kept Abdullah in slips for too long and it cost Pakistan the 2nd match.

Shan has proved his critics wrong so far. He has been good so far both as a captain and as a batter. I will rate his 3.5 out of 5 just because he kept Abdullah in slips for too long and it cost Pakistan the 2nd match.
hes had to deal with a lot of chopping and changing over the years, im guessing he will err towards persisting with people longer rather than being reactive in his man management, im not saying ones better or worse, just that its my read from the kinda person he is.

If he tries not to be over-ambitious against Lyon he has a chance to make a 100 at the SCG. I think he will do it.

Shan is new at the job so he needs to quickly get aggressive and stubborn in nature because if you look at Pakistan's history the most successful captains like Kardar, Imran, Mushtaq, Miandad etc were tough personalities to deal with.

What I mean is that when the team loses the media, the journalists and former players would put a lot of pressure on him. He would be criticized for his captaincy, for not selecting some and favouring others. It won't be easy for him. He needs to take this pressure as a captain and need to be ruthless otherwise he would end up resigning as Hafeez, Babar and others have done before.

Being a nice guy would not take him far in Pakistani cricket.

By far Shan is the best test captain Pakistan have had in the last 10 years. He is proactive and a massive improvement over Babar and Safraz.

But Shan the player does not warrant a selection in the team given his past performances. Only in Pakistan does a dropped player get recalled both as a player and captain

I would back him for few more years. He is a vast improvement from previous captains. He will also start to score bigger as a batsman sooner or later.

"He's looked positive, he's looked busy at the crease but I think, he's trying to lead from the front in the manner that he wants his team to play." Mike Hussy on Shan Masood

World knows he is a bad batsman but his captaincy is an upgrade from the previous captain, if he can muster up 40 runs per match that’ll be good !

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan was good so far on this tour. He is the top run scorer for Pakistan. That is something that needed to be acknowledged but yes, he is still getting out on some pretty ordinary deliveries.

No doubt Shan is a much better captain than his predecessors in last 10 years, but he need to work on his batting. The way he is batting looks good so far, but he can't keep scoring 30s-50s in every game, he needs to score tons to change the course of the match. The biggest challenge for this batting side is to change the negative mindset of scoring @ 2-3 runs per over which is the legacy established by likes of Misbah, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Imam, Sami Aslam and even Shan himself. This is the reason I believe some players are not able to stay long at wicket especially Shan, Rizwan, Saud as they want to play their natural game by scoring their shots.

No doubt Shan is a much better captain than his predecessors in last 10 years, but he need to work on his batting. The way he is batting looks good so far, but he can't keep scoring 30s-50s in every game, he needs to score tons to change the course of the match. The biggest challenge for this batting side is to change the negative mindset of scoring @ 2-3 runs per over which is the legacy established by likes of Misbah, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Imam, Sami Aslam and even Shan himself. This is the reason I believe some players are not able to stay long at wicket especially Shan, Rizwan, Saud as they want to play their natural game by scoring their shots.

Unfortunately, he is only good for those 30-60 type scores.

To me that will do for now as long as he gets his on field decisions right

I would back him for few more years. He is a vast improvement from previous captains. He will also start to score bigger as a batsman sooner or later.
Precisely, need to back home long term. His partnership with Babar today was crucial. Normally when the opposition is on a hot streak the Pakistani batting line up is notorious for falling like dominoes. Today that resistance helped batters that followed.

If he bowled Sajid Khan at the end because of light (which I doubt) then fair enough. Otherwise I think not bowling Hasan/Mir was a better move because of the situation and conditions.

for captaincy ..full marks.. dhoni level ..other old pakistani captains feels like brainless kids infront of his skills

Several levels above Babar as a captain, and at least in Australian conditions has been levels above Misbah as well. Only real criticism has been his choice of first slip fielders.

He just needs to improve his batting and it will all be fine then. Captaincy has been good apart from keeping Abdullah and Saim in slips.

Can someone please explain what's the logic behind this field placement?

No slip placement and no close in fielder placed by Shan, dont know what the hell he is doing!

With such field 500 is on for sure

1704412563834.png

Back