[VIDEOS] Shan Masood as Pakistan Test captain performance watch

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Following Babar Azam's decision to step down from captaincy in all 3 formats, Shan Masood has been appointed Pakistan Test skipper.

==

Shan Masood appointed Test and Shaheen Shah Afridi T20I captain

Lahore, 15 November 2023:

The PCB has appointed Shan Masood as the Test captain of Pakistan Men’s Cricket Team, while Shaheen Shah Afridi has been named T20I captain.

34-year-old Shan has featured in 30 Tests, scoring 1,597 runs, which includes four centuries and seven half-centuries.

Shan has been appointed captain till the end of the ICC World Test Championship 2023-25. Shan’s first assignment as captain will be a three-match Test series against Australia in Australia starting from 14 December.

Meanwhile, left-arm pacer Shaheen Shah will lead Pakistan Men’s Team in the T20I format and his first assignment as captain will be the five-match T20I series in New Zealand from 12 to 21 January. 23-year-old Shaheen has bagged 64 wickets in 52 T20Is. Shaheen has also captained Lahore Qalandars in HBL PSL and has helped the side win the tournament twice in two years in the 2022 and 2023 editions.

Shan and Shaheen were appointed captains after Babar Azam today stepped down from all three formats of the game. Pakistan’s captain in the ODI format will be announced in due course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad day for Pakistan cricket when a player averaging 28 gets appointed as test captain.

Shan is probably one of the worst players to represent Pakistan. Not just because of his average, but for what he really represents - the sheer nepotism - that if you are born in the right household, you can force your way to the top in a country of more than 250 million people. Disgusting.

Don’t cry now that he has been appointed

Babar was asked to lead the Australia tour

Also probably means that Mickey Arthur is staying as both have a working relationship since their English county days.

Sad state of affairs.

I wouldn't even have him in the Test team. The only saving grace is that he has a good cricketing brain based on his interviews over the years.

A shameful day for all of us

What has this country come to? If you know the right people by being born in an influential family, anything is possible

Horrible. Just horrible. He doesn’t even warrant a place in the team based on his batting performances.

I will root for his success on the Australia tour, maybe he is a very intelligent captain and does good managing the team but this decision makes no sense to me considering Shan’s performances with the bat.

Would have preferred Sarfraz however Shan isn't a bad call. The key thing will be allowing Shan as captain to have full authority with regards to selections and ensuring players are chosen on merit and not dosti quota.

For the Australia series a good XI would be: Shan, Saim, Saud, Babar, Asad Shafiq, Agha Salman, Sarfraz, Abrar, Shaheen, Mir Hamza, Dahani/Amir Jamal/Nasseem (if fit)

There should be the following criteria when appointing captains:

- The player must command a regular place in the team.
- They must possess some track record of captaincy.

Where Babar ticked the first box but not the second - Shan meets the second but not the first. Unless he's an interim captain, or this appointment triggers a miraculous uptick in form, it's hard to justify this.

Reports saying Sarfraz denied the captaincy . I think only shan was option who accepted .
If true than I am disappointed in Saifi. We need a true leader to guide Pakistan forward from the disaster dosti yaari has caused to our team and Sarfraz was the man.

Don't understand why he wasn't up for the challenge

Don’t cry now that he has been appointed

Babar was asked to lead the Australia tour
Babar was to be sacked after Australia tour. He was a sacrificial lamb, right call by him to resign before this happened.

Pcb solution to replace a nepotisitc captain is to bring another nepotisitc captain?

If true than I am disappointed in Saifi. We need a true leader to guide Pakistan forward from the disaster dosti yaari has caused to our team and Sarfraz was the man.

Don't understand why he wasn't up for the challenge
He has seen and done that . He knows what’s going on . Good for him not to accept this and concentrate on himself. Btw Shan playing also means end for imam for now

Congratulations to all the fans who wanted Baber to step down!!! :D

Hope they are happy now! :)

Pakistan cricket is a gift that keeps on giving. It is an absolute comedy act. Shan shouldn’t even be in the team and he is the bloody captain lol. :ROFLMAO:

Pcb solution to replace a nepotisitc captain is to bring another nepotisitc captain?
Afridi recently mentioned he was forced to include shan in odi playing XI as VC vs NZ when he was CS. But he refused and put shan on bench till final game . Such is condition of nepotism

The good thing is now Shan will be exposed. Good that his captaincy comes against Australia in Australia. Embarrassing innings defeat in all Tests beckons. To compound that, Mr. English will average like a tailender with the bat.

Babar was coward enough to not captain for the Australian series so I would take shan. He won't score many runs in Australia

Public should take matter into hands... They must boo masood like they did to khushdil shah.. Make him cry and leave cricket for good... This nepotism product is epitome of mediocrity.

Mike Brearley in the late 70’s took over the England captaincy even though his average wasn’t the greatest and went on to be a successful captain, different era’s I know but maybe a previous example

Wishing him the very best.

He’s not an extreme talent but a good one. Smart fellow as well with good communication skills.

Pakistan need a sensible bloke

is this confirmed?
On what basis is this bang average player captain? Because of one good season for Derbyshire in 22/23? Because that's quite literally the only time he's been consistent.
Strikes me as an appointment just for how good his English is, not based on any merit whatsoever. ! :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a radical thought I know, but let’s give him a chance before we write him off, also being captain could improve his scoring as it’s his job now to lead by example

I'm glad to see him as the Test captain because of his excellent communication skills, ensuring a positive impact during press conferences.

He has significantly improved his batting, proving to be an integral part of our squad during the ICC T20I World Cup 2022, playing crucial knocks. He has performed well in county cricket also captaining the team, and consistently performed in the recent Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and Pakistan Cup.

Following Babar Azam's decision to step down from captaincy in all 3 formats, Shan Masood has been appointed Pakistan Test skipper.

==

The PCB has appointed Shan Masood as the Test captain of Pakistan Men’s Cricket Team, while Shaheen Shah Afridi has been named T20I captain.

34-year-old Shan has featured in 30 Tests, scoring 1,597 runs, which includes four centuries and seven half-centuries.

Shan has been appointed captain till the end of the ICC World Test Championship 2023-25. Shan’s first assignment as captain will be a three-match Test series against Australia in Australia starting from 14 December.

Meanwhile, left-arm pacer Shaheen Shah will lead Pakistan Men’s Team in the T20I format and his first assignment as captain will be the five-match T20I series in New Zealand from 12 to 21 January. 23-year-old Shaheen has bagged 64 wickets in 52 T20Is. Shaheen has also captained Lahore Qalandars in HBL PSL and has helped the side win the tournament twice in two years in the 2022 and 2023 editions.

Shan and Shaheen were appointed captains after Babar Azam today stepped down from all three formats of the game. Pakistan’s captain in the ODI format will be announced in due course.
Let's hope he scores runs, captains positively and we start to bring consistency.

Would have preferred Sarfraz however Shan isn't a bad call. The key thing will be allowing Shan as captain to have full authority with regards to selections and ensuring players are chosen on merit and not dosti quota.

For the Australia series a good XI would be: Shan, Saim, Saud, Babar, Asad Shafiq, Agha Salman, Sarfraz, Abrar, Shaheen, Mir Hamza, Dahani/Amir Jamal/Nasseem (if fit)
The dosti thing is just a red herring to explain poor results. All the players that played in the WC were pretty much the best players

Amazing this is unparalleled never thought we will witness this , if captain is averaging 28 then what will he demand for the team may he average 20 and speak fluent english

is this confirmed?
On what basis is this bang average player captain? Because of one good season for Derbyshire in 22/23? Because that's quite literally the only time he's been consistent.
Strikes me as an appointment just for how good his English is, not based on any merit whatsoever. ! :facepalm:
There were no options . Sarfraz denied . Rizwan isn’t in XI . Who else ?

==

Under the circumstances and due to the lack of availability of any other option , Shan is a good choice.

Sad day for Pakistan cricket when a player averaging 28 gets appointed as test captain.

Shan is probably one of the worst players to represent Pakistan. Not just because of his average, but for what he really represents - the sheer nepotism - that if you are born in the right household, you can force your way to the top in a country of more than 250 million people. Disgusting.
Yes, while we have so many Lara , Ponting and Tendulkar in every FC team in Pakistan . :ROFLMAO:

If the Shaheen appointment was a go big or home, this one is just flop all round.

A guy averaging 28 as a test player after a decade or so has been given captaincy. This is how pakistan enters a new era of modern gameplay ??? Well done Zaka Ashraf you dud.

This is a good decision. Shan plays short ball better than anyone else in PAK. Good stop gap. Even in QEA, he was out-stroking Saim Ayub of all people.

This shows how the mighty Pakistan have fallen. Shortage of real quality players and decline over the decade has limited them to selecting an underperforming player.

Surprising choice.

Shan's position in the team hasn't been cemented yet. He is generally in and out of the team frequently.

Test captaincy should've gone to someone else (Abdullah Shafique probably).

This shows how the mighty Pakistan have fallen. Shortage of real quality players and decline over the decade has limited them to selecting an underperforming player.

Sure but we had no options now so it had to be done

(1) Babar Azam Resigned

(2) Muhammad Rizwan isn't a regular in the Test Side currently (correct me if im wrong)

(3) Ive read some posts saying Sarfaraz didn't want to take captaincy

(4) Shaheen is a fast bowler, and does/can have injury issues

So for those criticising, tell me who else was there. I don't see any other options that were better than Shan considering the 4 points above

So unless someone can convince me, I think we can stop with the criticism

On a different note, may be PCB have made up their mind to finally end the Shan saga by sending him as skip. for Aus tour only to be blanked and finally skipped from Pakistan team, killing 2 buds with a stone

On a different note, may be PCB have made up their mind to finally end the Shan saga by sending him as skip. for Aus tour only to be blanked and finally skipped from Pakistan team, killing 2 buds with a stone
Naw pcb doesn't think like that 😂😂

If you look at Masood's stats, it is List A cricket where he has excelled. He could be a decent ODI opener. It would have made more sense to bring him in to the ODI team and make him the ODI captain. Pakistan have an open place as well IMO for the second ODI opener spot, alongside Fakhar.

He's a fringy red ball player. It's hard to captain effectively when you are struggling to hold down a spot.

This looks like a short term fix.

Kind of understand it. No other option. If you make Rizwan, I think you have to give him captaincy of all formats. But they wanted to make Shaheen T20 captain. So just for tests, Rizwan can't make sense given Sarfraz is in the team right now (though Sarfraz is 36 and keeping is worse, I'm sure Rizwan will be back in the side soon enough regardless even if Sarfraz plays just as a batsman).

Obviously a batsman who can make the side on merit is better. But I just can't see a realistic alternative, and I don't think it should be someone with no/little captaincy experience.

(1) Babar Azam Resigned

(2) Muhammad Rizwan isn't a regular in the Test Side currently (correct me if im wrong)

(3) Ive read some posts saying Sarfaraz didn't want to take captaincy

(4) Shaheen is a fast bowler, and does/can have injury issues

So for those criticising, tell me who else was there. I don't see any other options that were better than Shan considering the 4 points above

So unless someone can convince me, I think we can stop with the criticism
Once again,

Shan Masood was basically the only main option there was imo

Afridi recently mentioned he was forced to include shan in odi playing XI as VC vs NZ when he was CS. But he refused and put shan on bench till final game . Such is condition of nepotism
Not really impressed with the decision of Shan being a captain but Shahid Afridi himself played for more than 20 years because of his political connections & media lobbying. No country in this world could have allowed someone like Afridi to have such a long career

A daunting task awaits Shan specially when it comes taking 20 wickets in a Test, hopefully he will import some bowlers from Mars

Back