[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Babar Azam re-appointed as Pakistan white-ball captain

Is it the right decision to re-appoint Babar Azam as white-ball captain?

• Total voters
Who decides that? You’ve got guys who supposedly contribute as cricketers captaining the side. Started from 1…now we 7th
You cannot have a non-performing cricketer in your team.

Also Sarfraz had lost his own dressing room by the time he lost the series to Sri Lanka at home. I hope you are not blaming Misbah for that, as these rumors had started during the World Cup itself.

You cannot have a non-performing cricketer in your team.

Also Sarfraz had lost his own dressing room by the time he lost the series to Sri Lanka at home. I hope you are not blaming Misbah for that, as these rumors had started during the World Cup itself.
Performances is usually something that can be worked on.

A performing captain should be given support in the same way rohit was given during his lean patch.

You don't put that captain in the hands of Misbah ul haq, the man who sidelined him for 6 games inplace of jamshed the fixer.

People mock sharjeel for fixing but don't talk about Nasir jamshed and misbah advocating jamshed instead. Nasir wasn't a nice fellow, he was an arrogant A hole who had poor form and didn't gell with anyone, infact he and shehzad need to be given an ego award.

Babar's captainy be like:

7ULvmjf.png

Shaheen saving Babar’s captaincy for the second time since his return as captain. NZ and now Ireland. Work load management excuse was used to knock Shaheen off and he has been only rested for one match and played more than 6 matches on the trott since then. Babar will never learn rotation, he will always get his players injured to save his pathetic captaincy. Im sure he doesn’t even want to captain but has to in order to secure his own place in the team and for the $$$$ and brand endorsements.

Babar's unimaginative captaincy was laid bare in this series yet again. Its the biggest threat to us winning the World Cup. Even more than his lack of acceleration in thr powerplay overs.

You can accept sometimes captains make marginal decisions in complicated, nuanced situations that don't work out.

However Babar after 4.5 years of captaincy still cannot get the basics right.

The pacers went at over 10 RPO today but the spinners conceded at only 7. Imad and Saim tied down the Irish batsmen in the middle overs. Yet they were hauled off and the pacers bowled their full quota !

I cannot understand how somebody who's played so much top level cricket can be so boneheaded.
Same story today. Played one less spinner and didn't even bowl out Imad. He doesn't even learn from his mistakes.

Babar's unimaginative captaincy was laid bare in this series yet again. Its the biggest threat to us winning the World Cup. Even more than his lack of acceleration in thr powerplay overs.
The thing is Babar's lack of acceleration is something he can easily improve but i doubt he'll improve tactically.

The thing is Babar's lack of acceleration is something he can easily improve but i doubt he'll improve tactically.
His numbers are actually not bad for the past two years. He has struck at 140+ since 2023. But the quality of oppositions is in question and even now we see Babar go 4-5 overs sometimes without hitting a boundary. I think he did that in that match against New Zealand a few weeks ago where he cracked 69 off 40something balls. Despite getting a fluid start he couldn't score any runs in the middle period.

I think he needs to focus more on strike-rotation. A player of his caliber is capable of finding the boundary just by playing good cricketing shots. It's the dot balls he plays that build pressure and derail the team's momentum.

His numbers are actually not bad for the past two years. He has struck at 140+ since 2023. But the quality of oppositions is in question and even now we see Babar go 4-5 overs sometimes without hitting a boundary. I think he did that in that match against New Zealand a few weeks ago where he cracked 69 off 40something balls. Despite getting a fluid start he couldn't score any runs in the middle period.

I think he needs to focus more on strike-rotation. A player of his caliber is capable of finding the boundary just by playing good cricketing shots. It's the dot balls he plays that build pressure and derail the team's momentum.
He definitely have a much higher ceiling than Rizwan but you can not usually see the urgency in his batting as much as there should be. He sometimes seems contend with hovering at 120 SR when he should really be looking to take the charge. Till 2020, he had a lot of quick starts and he was much more open to taking risks and scoring boundaries. But since assuming captaincy, I have seen that part of his batting in t20is minimising. I'd really like hiim to take his batting to the next level by being a bit more fearless and adding more power to his game and become a better player of spin (obviously). I hope Kirsten can make him realize he can be much more than what he is doing currently.

Babar Azam speaking after winning the series 2-1 against Ireland:

“If we talk about intent in batting, you have seen that many things have improved. If we talk about intent in batting, you have seen that after the first match, our intent was quite positive in the first six overs. We had a slightly different plan, and now it has helped. There were good performances as well, like Mohammad Rizwan’s and Fakhar Zaman’s in the last match. Then again, what Mohammad Rizwan did today is a good sign. The main thing was that our lower order, who was struggling a bit, Iftikhar Ahmed and Azam Khan, did very well. They chipped in a small but significant contribution. You will get to see this positive intent in the upcoming series.”

“In bowling, the way our senior bowlers have taken responsibility is commendable. After the first match, you saw how Shaheen Shah bowled outstandingly. You know he is one of the best bowlers and he knows how to bowl. Mohammad Amir, with his experience and knowledge, knows what kind of bowling to do at this time. Especially, Abbas Afridi, as a youngster, is observing things and learning how to bowl internationally. He is executing the plan given according to the fielding.”

“The main thing is that the team’s plans are being executed. This intent will be visible to you in the next matches, which is the series against England. We will try to take this momentum forward. Winning a series gives you confidence, and you will get to see good cricket in England. We had rested Naseem Shah, played Hasan Ali, and we tried a different combination. We were struggling in the middle overs, so we made a slight change. We have come up with a different pattern.”

“Imad Wasim is bowling well, bowling in difficult situations at different times performing very well, and managing the pressure situations nicely, so this is a good sign. We will try to correct the mistakes that have been made, because time is short before the World Cup, and we will utilize as many matches as there are.”

“When you get cheered by people in different countries, there is a unique pleasure in it. We were also sitting outside, enjoying in the ground, people were cheering, and many had come from far away, even from different countries to watch the match. In my opinion, this is a good sign and we should always want such support and continue to support our team in the same way.”​

Last edited:
Babar Azam speaking after winning the series 2-1 against Ireland:

“If we talk about intent in batting, you have seen that many things have improved. If we talk about intent in batting, you have seen that after the first match, our intent was quite positive in the first six overs. We had a slightly different plan, and now it has helped. There were good performances as well, like Mohammad Rizwan’s and Fakhar Zaman’s in the last match. Then again, what Mohammad Rizwan did today is a good sign. The main thing was that our lower order, who was struggling a bit, Iftikhar Ahmed and Azam Khan, did very well. They chipped in a small but significant contribution. You will get to see this positive intent in the upcoming series.”

“In bowling, the way our senior bowlers have taken responsibility is commendable. After the first match, you saw how Shaheen Shah bowled outstandingly. You know he is one of the best bowlers and he knows how to bowl. Mohammad Amir, with his experience and knowledge, knows what kind of bowling to do at this time. Especially, Abbas Afridi, as a youngster, is observing things and learning how to bowl internationally. He is executing the plan given according to the fielding.”

“The main thing is that the team’s plans are being executed. This intent will be visible to you in the next matches, which is the series against England. We will try to take this momentum forward. Winning a series gives you confidence, and you will get to see good cricket in England. We had rested Naseem Shah, played Hasan Ali, and we tried a different combination. We were struggling in the middle overs, so we made a slight change. We have come up with a different pattern.”

“Imad Wasim is bowling well, bowling in difficult situations at different times performing very well, and managing the pressure situations nicely, so this is a good sign. We will try to correct the mistakes that have been made, in the future because time is short due to World Cup, and we will utilize as many matches as there are.”

“When you get cheered by people in different countries, there is a unique pleasure in it. We were also sitting outside, enjoying in the ground, people were cheering, and many had come from far away, even from different countries to watch the match. In my opinion, this is a good sign and we should always want such support and continue to support our team in the same way.”​
The main thing is that the team’s plans are being executed. This intent will be visible to you in the next matches, which is the series against England. We will try to take this momentum forward. Winning a series gives you confidence, and you will get to see good cricket in England. We had rested Naseem Shah, played Hasan Ali, and we tried a different combination. We were struggling in the middle overs, so we made a slight change. We have come up with a different pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hasan Ali getting a random game is so stupid, perfectly represents how volatile Pakistan cricket is at the moment.

A few things I noticed about in this series
A) going with 4 seamers - Not sure whose idea this was, if it was Babar’s then I don’t understand why team management didn’t talk him out of it. Anyway, whoever was reasonable for this, primarily Babar, was such a horrendous idea. Seeing how Imad bowled, why would you not play another spinner? Also, keep in mind the WC is in West Indies, why would you not play two spinners?
B)Imad bowling only 3 overs. That’s been mind boggling as well. In the 2nd and 3rd T20s, he didn’t bowl his full quota of overs. When he had been one of the most economical bowler on the tour, why wasn’t he asked to bowl his full quota of overs?
C) playing Hassan Ali - this useless infatuation with Hassan Ali must stop now. This guy is beyond pathetic in limited overs cricket. Pakistan cannot win anything until he is the playing XI.

Even though babar azam has outdone Brian Masaba with most wins as a captain but I'm not satisfied. It took babar 19 matches extra to out do him.

what are your thoughts @Rana @mominsaigol

Babar Azam v Brian Masaba

1716557848549.png

You started talking about odis than switched to t20 and than you only selected a specific stats. You can please your Indian masters. But anyone who has seen them play and looking at their stats overall there is a big difference.
Not even Indian fans will pick Iyer over Babar.

A few things I noticed about in this series
A) going with 4 seamers - Not sure whose idea this was, if it was Babar’s then I don’t understand why team management didn’t talk him out of it. Anyway, whoever was reasonable for this, primarily Babar, was such a horrendous idea. Seeing how Imad bowled, why would you not play another spinner? Also, keep in mind the WC is in West Indies, why would you not play two spinners?
B)Imad bowling only 3 overs. That’s been mind boggling as well. In the 2nd and 3rd T20s, he didn’t bowl his full quota of overs. When he had been one of the most economical bowler on the tour, why wasn’t he asked to bowl his full quota of overs?
C) playing Hassan Ali - this useless infatuation with Hassan Ali must stop now. This guy is beyond pathetic in limited overs cricket. Pakistan cannot win anything until he is the playing XI.
I disagree I think it was the correct decision to play the one spinner as thier was literally no turn if they were to pick a spinner it would have been abrar.

I disagree I think it was the correct decision to play the one spinner as thier was literally no turn if they were to pick a spinner it would have been abrar.
Despite being there no turn spinners did well. Saim and Imad did well in 2nd T20 and Imad Wasim did well in the third ODI. I believe Abrar would have done well. It was worth the try.

Despite being there no turn spinners did well. Saim and Imad did well in 2nd T20 and Imad Wasim did well in the third ODI. I believe Abrar would have done well. It was worth the try.
That's becouse they are orthodox bowlers they don't have variation and bowl wicket to wicket.

That's becouse they are orthodox bowlers they don't have variation and bowl wicket to wicket.
Most wickets are flat nowadays, you think Abrar shouldn’t be in the playing XI unless there is some help for the spinners in the pitch?

Most wickets are flat nowadays, you think Abrar shouldn’t be in the playing XI unless there is some help for the spinners in the pitch?
Abrar is a quality spinner but the pitches were tiny if they need a second spinner for the world Cup Abrar gets in ahead of Shadab.

Babar should look beyond the guys like Hasan Ali and Shadab. PLay abrar ahead of them. Why not play a guy who has done well and keep playing a guy who is doing nothing. If it is Dosti yaari type thing, then I am sorry but Babar is not doing any favor to this country. He should step down.

In the ODI team ? Nope. I'd pick Iyer over Babar at #4.
@shamaan JEE ping the other Indian posters as well. Let's tally this everywhere.

Next you'll ask me to take a flight to India and ask Mukesh ambani himself? On his opinions?

No sane Indian would ever pick Babar over iyer in odi, heck no sane pakistani would ever pick Babar over iyer, no sane league. Only a misbah clique or someone who belongs to a mental hospital will make such an absurd claim.

Insult to Iyer. Babar needs to be compared to Balbirnie
We can criticize Babar for playing selfishly but you can't deny that he is one of the best players Pakistan has ever had. So criticize him where it's due not unnecessarily.

but still if u still want to compare him with Iyer so i will tag @Mohraheem here and will claim that momin wants Ifti to become a captain of Pakistan team :ifticool lol

We can criticize Babar for playing selfishly but you can't deny that he is one of the best players Pakistan has ever had. So criticize him where it's due not unnecessarily.

but still if u still want to compare him with Iyer so i will tag @Mohraheem here and will claim that momin wants Ifti to become a captain of Pakistan team :ifticool lol
Bro the conversation started with someone else claiming that babar is a better no 4 then iyer in odi, had to discuss and spread my knowledge to this blessed world.

As for Mohraheem, he'll agree with me. Make chacha captain and see our team perish. With chacha as captain well reach associate level amd then comes the Uganda series.

Ye galaaat hai 😂 uthaaaa le re Baba Uthaaa le Mujhe nahy reee! Ifthi ko Uthaaa le

Babar is a number 3 batter in odis and he is never going to play at number 4 because everybody knows he is a number 3 for sure in odis. His game suits him there. While Iyer has different number. Cannot compare both of them having different roles.

Babar is a number 3 batter in odis and he is never going to play at number 4 because everybody knows he is a number 3 for sure in odis. His game suits him there. While Iyer has different number. Cannot compare both of them having different roles.
Yes you can, In the same way I can say ab de villers is better then Bobby.

As a T20 opener, Babar’s competition is Balbirnie, Zadran, Nissanka

As a number 3, he competes with Kane Williamson
Shreyas in not that good when it comes to t20 but still termed better than him. Not sure what the criteria is

Shreyas in not that good when it comes to t20 but still termed better than him. Not sure what the criteria is
I was talking about odi bro. T20 was never brought to light in the earlier conversations.

As a T20 opener, Babar’s competition is Balbirnie, Zadran, Nissanka

As a number 3, he competes with Kane Williamson
I was kidding lol, Babar from 2016-2021 is a decent player.

Babar from 2022 to 2024 is a pindi/lahori pitch fraud

This is shreyas in t20s, how is he better? please explain anybody?

Career Batting Stats:

FormatMatchesInningsNot OutsRunsHigh ScoreAverageBalls FacedStrike Rate100s50s4s6s
T20I
51​
47​
11​
1104​
74*
30.7​
811​
136.1​
0​
8​
90​
44​

This is shreyas in t20s, how is he better? please explain anybody?

Career Batting Stats:

FormatMatchesInningsNot OutsRunsHigh ScoreAverageBalls FacedStrike Rate100s50s4s6s
T20I
51​
47​
11​
1104​
74*
30.7​
811​
136.1​
0​
8​
90​
44​
Who brought t20 up 😭

Fair point. just saw your post above

here.

So now, babar's spot in ODI is also in trouble I guess?
Babar unlike t20 is a decent odi player. He's garbage in t20 as it is not his format in the same vein hasim amla even in prime wasn't a t20 player.

So this stubborn ego of opening or batting at no 3 in t20 is frustrating.

However in odi he's good. But he's mostly just a wall in odi in the same vein as labu or Williamson. Whoever is braindead enough to compare him to Travis, maxwell or sheryas, then they need to sit and chat with Me for 1 hour. I have studying psychology so I can cure the mental issue for them.

Shreyas is a killer player of spin. If Babar bats in his position, you will see the clear gulf in difference between the two

Shreyas is a killer player of spin. If Babar bats in his position, you will see the clear gulf in difference between the two
Babar: Arei naqvi, yei kerei pitch pei hum khel rahei hain, too spin friendly for me, rizwan aur mein khush nahi hain

Babar Azam has entered the world of cricket to make records, but the problem is he is only making records and not becoming a match-winner.

Babar Azam needs:

45 runs to become the first-ever Pakistani to score 4000 T20I runs
95 runs to become the leading run-scorer among overseas players in England
48 runs to become the only captain to score 2500 T20I runs

Babar Azam has entered the world of cricket to make records, but the problem is he is only making records and not becoming a match-winner.

Babar Azam needs:

45 runs to become the first-ever Pakistani to score 4000 T20I runs
95 runs to become the leading run-scorer among overseas players in England
48 runs to become the only captain to score 2500 T20I runs
The only reason he has these records is because he is the only one chasing them in t20
He is basically competing against himself.

If he wants records then odi and tests are his formant and he won't stand a chance there with so many records

When asked today about why he decided to return as captain!

"To be honest, because of the World Cup....."

Ian Ward on Pakistan's wasted lbw review against England in 2nd T20I:

"That review had nowt going for it. A bad one and Pakistan burn one... which they might come to regret."

"There's a real art to reviewing. You've got to try and take emotion out of it... the wicketkeeper is so far down the leg-side, why is he appealing?"

Ian Ward on Pakistan's wasted lbw review against England in 2nd T20I:

"That review had nowt going for it. A bad one and Pakistan burn one... which they might come to regret."

"There's a real art to reviewing. You've got to try and take emotion out of it... the wicketkeeper is so far down the leg-side, why is he appealing?"
Chacha forced them to take it

Still clueless!

You can't give Shadab 4 overs.

Saim and Iftikhar can easily bowl the 5th bowler quota.

He is so stubborn and clueless.

Rizwan uses his 5th bowling quota so well and would have been easily the better captain

Still clueless!

You can't give Shadab 4 overs.

Saim and Iftikhar can easily bowl the 5th bowler quota.

He is so stubborn and clueless.

Rizwan uses his 5th bowling quota so well and would have been easily the better captain
Ifthikhar is not a bowler! He is only a fluke batsmen. Don’t understand over hyping of Chacha so much by his delusional fan

Pakistan's white-ball captain Babar Azam has surpassed Indian skipper Rohit Sharma in the list of most T20I runs during the second T20I against England in Birmingham.

Virat Kohli- 4037

Babar Azam - 3987*

Rohit Sharma - 3974

Paul Stirling - 3589

Babar bowling Haris Rauf in the PP overs, he hasn’t learnt from the past🤦🏻‍♂️

First over gone for 17, next 3 go for 17.

He’s just trying too many things right now, Amir should’ve had that 5th over but nah let’s do something stupid.

Pakistan's white-ball captain Babar Azam has surpassed Indian skipper Rohit Sharma in the list of most T20I runs during the second T20I against England in Birmingham.

Virat Kohli- 4037

Babar Azam - 3987*

Rohit Sharma - 3974

Paul Stirling - 3589
Stats are meaningless. Always heard people saying that but seeing Babar stat padding his way to the top of the leaderboard above high impact, world class batters like Kohli and Sharma really exemplifies this saying. If I were blind and could not see cricket on TV and judging solely on stats would lead me to believe that Babar is a better batsman than Kohli and Sharma.

Poor captaincy again. Didn’t try Saim and Iftikhar when Shadab was going for plenty. Plus, Rauf shouldn’t be bowling in power play.

Pakistan needs to try Abrar.

Ifthikhar is not a bowler! He is only a fluke batsmen. Don’t understand over hyping of Chacha so much by his delusional fan
Ofc he isn't a bowler, but he can roll his arm just like Livingston did for Eng.

The pitch also favoured spinners today as well.

Even then Saim was there to be utilised, so absolutely no excuse to justify the poor captaincy by Babar today.

Absolutely criminal to keep on giving shadab 4 full overs

Ofc he isn't a bowler, but he can roll his arm just like Livingston did for Eng.

The pitch also favoured spinners today as well.

Even then Saim was there to be utilised, so absolutely no excuse to justify the poor captaincy by Babar today.

Absolutely criminal to keep on giving shadab 4 full overs
Chacha is a student of Shadab’s academy.

Back