[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Babar Azam re-appointed as Pakistan white-ball captain

Is it the right decision to re-appoint Babar Azam as white-ball captain?

• Total voters
As I have said before, you cannot turn a donkey into a horse. You can paint the donkey and pretend that it is a zebra.

Babar as a leader/captain is a failed wish.

Pakistan's former players are not expecting the team to do well in the T20 World Cup starting in the Americas from Saturday

Pakistan lost a T20I in Ireland and then suffered a 0-2 defeat in England this week, not the ideal result before a global event. Before that, they drew 2-2 at home with a New Zealand side that was missing many of its World Cup squad members. "They are not getting their combination right, which is their biggest problem," former captain Rashid Latif said.

He feels Pakistan need to not only shuffle their batting but make more use of their spinners.

"Not only shuffle, but players need to be prepared to play at floating roles now in T20 cricket as per the match situation," he added.

The legendary Javed Miandad is banking on the unpredictability factor.

"They are unpredictable and always seem to do well in these T20 World Cups. But yes, they need to definitely improve in some areas quickly because, with a 20-team event, you can't afford to relax even in one game," he said.

Pakistan's white-ball captain Babar Azam said in his post-match conference at the Oval that although it was disappointing to lose the series to England, the World Cup will be a different challenge.

"We have capable (and) talented players, and we will come good in the World Cup," he said.

Many cricket fans are not happy with the selection or performance of Azam Khan, who was dismissed cheaply at the Oval and dropped two catches.

Azam, who has followed in the footsteps of his father, Moin Khan, as a wicketkeeper-batter, has been trolled mercilessly on social media since Thursday.

But it is not just Azam who has been a disappointment. All-rounder Shadab Khan has also been struggling for runs, as has Iftikhar Ahmed, who has failed to make any impact while batting down the order.

The bowlers also have been having too many of -days, with pacer Naseem Shah going for 25 in an over in the power play at The Oval, while Mohammad Amir conceded 28 in two overs.

Some officials in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) are worried that if the team doesn't reach the World Cup semi-finals, the fan base will take a big hit, which would not help the board in its preparations for the Champions Trophy next year.

"If the team does not perform well, it is no secret it has a big effect on the number of sponsors and broadcasters lining up to invest in Pakistan cricket," an official said.

"I think Babar just needs to bat at number three, and they should make Saim (Ayub) or Fakhar (Zaman) open with Mohammad Rizwan," suggested former player Basit Ali.

Source: NDTV

Pakistan captain Babar Azam has gone past Virat Kohli to become the all-time leading run-scorer in T20Is. He overtook India's Virat Kohli, who has 4,038 runs.

MOST RUNS IN MEN’S T20Is

Babar Azam - 4052* runs in 113 innings

Virat Kohli - 4038 runs in 110 innings

Rohit Sharma - 4026 runs in 144 innings

Paul Stirling - 3591 runs in 142 innings

Martin Guptill - 3531 runs in 118 innings

Pakistan captain Babar Azam has gone past Virat Kohli to become the all-time leading run-scorer in T20Is. He overtook India's Virat Kohli, who has 4,038 runs.

MOST RUNS IN MEN’S T20Is

Babar Azam - 4052* runs in 113 innings

Virat Kohli - 4038 runs in 110 innings

Rohit Sharma - 4026 runs in 144 innings

Paul Stirling - 3591 runs in 142 innings

Martin Guptill - 3531 runs in 118 innings
Congrats!

Appoint Dhoni as captain and give him the same bunch of players he will hardly do anything better

You will be surprised. Dhoni will atleast make stern decisions and will not tolerate passengers for long.

You will be surprised. Dhoni will atleast make stern decisions and will not tolerate passengers for long.
The next bunch of passengers are actually far worse than the current ones , it is no doubt the best available talent in pak is playing today except may be for Azam Khan , the next lot is far worse and it’s reflected in the PSL

Captain clueless strikes again.
Despite the warning signs of his captaincy ineptness in the 2023 WC they decide to re-establish him regardless, and now the result is a new nadir for Pakistan cricket.
We rather than the USA looked like the minnows out there.

This team deserves to be egged and humiliated by fans ruthlessly. They have gotten too many pats on the back for poor performances.

This is an indelible mark on Babar's captaincy legacy.

Forget the drama at the end. Our Associate opponents bossed the vast majority of the game. If this was your first time watching cricket - you genuinely wouldn't know who the Full Member nation was.

We can recycle the usual narratives about our mediocre talent pool, selection policies, fitness, administration, domestic cricket and so on. But it's still no excuse to lose to USA !

The shot selection, running between the wickets, PP bowling, fielding, communication, open infighting and body language today would make a club team cringe. And it's a damning reflection on the captain who's led this team for 4.5 years.

Forget the drama at the end. Our Associate opponents bossed the vast majority of the game. If this was your first time watching cricket - you genuinely wouldn't know who the Full Member nation was.

We can recycle the usual narratives about our mediocre talent pool, selection policies, fitness, administration, domestic cricket and so on. But it's still no excuse to lose to USA !

The shot selection, running between the wickets, PP bowling, fielding, communication, open infighting and body language today would make a club team cringe. And it's a damning reflection on the captain who's led this team for 4.5 years.
Nasser Hussain called it after the last game at the Oval

He said Pakistan at this rate will lose to Ireland.

It’s less the defeat itself. England in LOIs have lost to Scotland, Ireland and Netherlands, Australia lost to Bangladesh in 2005 when they were absolute novice minnows losing every other game by huge margins.

These shock results happen, in cricket and in sport. Underdogs sometimes win.

It’s more the manner of the defeat that was so shocking from Pakistan. Looked miles off international standard. Zero intensity. Were already a beaten side in the dressing room before the game.

It’s less the defeat itself. England in LOIs have lost to Scotland, Ireland and Netherlands, Australia lost to Bangladesh in 2005 when they were absolute novice minnows losing every other game by huge margins.

These shock results happen, in cricket and in sport. Underdogs sometimes win.

It’s more the manner of the defeat that was so shocking from Pakistan. Looked miles off international standard. Zero intensity. Were already a beaten side in the dressing room before the game.
Even our 2007 defeat to Ireland was fairly tight with them winning with only 3 wickets left.

This match however had no sense of jeopardy until the last few overs of USA's chase when their inexperience told.

Forget cricket. If you've got a department manager whose team produced a performance like that after 4.5 years of almost unlimited authority - any self respecting company would sack them tonight.

As important as it is for a captain to be tactically astute it’s perhaps even more important to be lead from the front and inspire and motivate the team. Babar possesses none of those qualities and his shortcomings were once again starkly exposed today. Tactically he was as bad as ever but today the more glaring issue was his body language. In the first innings when Pakistan lost three quick wickets he was looking extremely nervous and it was only after Shadab played a few shots that he gained a bit of confidence. In the chase at no point did Babar look confident or showed any aggression or rallied the team. If not for US faltering at the end it would have been a meek capitulation. Finally, when he did have a chance to lead from the front in the super over he first sent Chacha and then a tailender. With this he has further cemented his position as the worst captain ever to lead the team.

Babar's mistakes as captain:

-Has influenced an imbalanced squad.
-Hasn't come to terms with Imad and is deliberately keeping him out.
-Does not know how to set fields.
-Does not talk to bowlers.

Does this each game and has no accountability.

Look, he is a limited batsman and tactically has no nous as a captain.

I can excuse that if needs be. We are born with certain abilities and have some God given talents. It's not his fault he isn't clever enough to be a captain.

But I can't excuse the cowardice of sitting in the dugout during a super power. That was an all time low for Pakistan cricket.

Babar will go down in history as the captain who suffered worst humiliations in all formats of the game. But he won't have decency to resign. Nor will PCB have balls to take captaincy of their poster boy again.

Babar will go down in history as the captain who suffered worst humiliations in all formats of the game. But he won't have decency to resign. Nor will PCB have balls to take captaincy of their poster boy again.
Issue is Shaheen would have been even worse. And who else is there?

He lacks the personality to be a front-line leader, he lacks the aura, the authority. He isn’t captaincy material.

How did he manage to allow mid offs to be inside the circle and not on the boundary? It’s decisions like that he needs to step up.

While talking to a local sports media outlet, Dinesh Karthik criticised the Pakistan skipper Babar Azam for not backing his players publicly:

"As a leader, you need to find a way to be diplomatic in press conferences, somehow find a way to back your players. Inside the four walls of the dressing room, you can say what you want and have a go at a few people, but you need to find a way to back your players. It's one thing to be honest, another thing to try to understand the team dynamics.”

“He's newly appointed a captain. A lot of players are vulnerable right now, and he needs to back them. He needs to say, 'yes, it was a bad day. We probably could've done certain things better, but we will make sure once we get on a roll, we have special players'. That's the kind of language. To state that we didn't play well in the first six overs, we lost too many wickets... it's stating the obvious.”

"I fear Pakistan players reading it, which they will be, will feel he's ‘letting us down’. The way he's conducted himself at the field, having a go after the boundaries or his shoulders dropping, isn't a sign of a good leader."

“He needs to find a way to find body language to suggest he's fine with whatever's happening, and they can come around. Yes, showing disappointment is fine, but there's a way to show it where the players don't get even more nervous than they already are.”

While talking to a local sports media outlet, Dinesh Karthik criticised the Pakistan skipper Babar Azam for not backing his players publicly:

"As a leader, you need to find a way to be diplomatic in press conferences, somehow find a way to back your players. Inside the four walls of the dressing room, you can say what you want and have a go at a few people, but you need to find a way to back your players. It's one thing to be honest, another thing to try to understand the team dynamics.”

“He's newly appointed a captain. A lot of players are vulnerable right now, and he needs to back them. He needs to say, 'yes, it was a bad day. We probably could've done certain things better, but we will make sure once we get on a roll, we have special players'. That's the kind of language. To state that we didn't play well in the first six overs, we lost too many wickets... it's stating the obvious.”

"I fear Pakistan players reading it, which they will be, will feel he's ‘letting us down’. The way he's conducted himself at the field, having a go after the boundaries or his shoulders dropping, isn't a sign of a good leader."

“He needs to find a way to find body language to suggest he's fine with whatever's happening, and they can come around. Yes, showing disappointment is fine, but there's a way to show it where the players don't get even more nervous than they already are.”
Can DK mentor us? Serious request. He's always come across as a measured and responsible individual.

Im still trying to make sense of things here. Like you take Dhoni, and Dhoni knows that in death overs if there is fielder that you want to keep on the boundary and make way for someone to come inside the circle that is where you send a Long on and Long off and place your fine or third inside the circle.

Your bowler ends up bowling off cutters and slow balls, and yet there is mid off in place, instead of having a long off.

And than Babar has the audacity to bash Haris Rauf?

As per reports, Kirsten had a real go at the team including both junior and senior players. Apparently Babar started blaming some players and Kirsten intervened hello you are responsible for this defeat too, you batted pathetically in the power play, you have no right to go at the team when you didn't lead by example yourself.

Hoping Kirsten takes charge of the team and eliminates player power

Last edited by a moderator:
As per reports, Kirsten had a real go at the team including both junior and senior players. Apparently Babar started blaming some players and Kirsten intervened hello you are responsible for this defeat too, you batted pathetically in the power play, you have no right to go at the team when you didn't lead by example yourself.

When Kristen was hired, in that thread i begged the PCB to remove basically all powers of Babar and give all power to Kristen over everything. This keeps Babar happy as he stays captain and Kristen has an actual brain and is a born winner. But instead Mohsin relied on the conman Wahab Riaz and gave the control back to a constant failure Babar Azam.

Guys Kristen just like mickey has no control, I've been saying it since the start.

He has no say over any decision.

You need someone like Younis Khan to deal with Bobby. Misbah is such a stupid @^@^#^#%. He created a guy who now has an even bigger ego then him.

Misbah to an interviewer: Don't ask me why the team is now suddenly failing, I guess I'm asking right handers to bat left.

Babar to an interviewer: 🤡

I hope this is true but the wording from this channel is very much masala im assuming

The groupings group have been named: Babas group Rizwan’s group shaheens group.

They both don’t see eye to eye
r u talking about this one? lol

vEgO7l8.jpeg

The headline should read : Babar Azam reappointed Captain of Parchi United.
So frustrating as I believe we can get a decent team out there instead of the Parchis. Only surprise is Imam wasn't selected.

r u talking about this one? lol

vEgO7l8.jpeg

Babar:

Stat to stat, Stat to Stat.
My runs to pad
I cover drive but my fans are mad
Slow to strike, Openers in plight
Eliminated from this tournament, I can see it with my spectrum eye.

Rizwan

Leg to leg, I play my game
Bradman Rizwan they call my name
It's a genuine classic love, Opposition is feeling my romantic love.

Rizwan and Babar apparently are not talking terms, while Shaheen is also not speaking to either.

Rizwan was the bridge between Babar and Shaheen, but that mode of communication has also had a massive breakdown.

Rizwan and Babar apparently are not talking terms, while Shaheen is also not speaking to either.

Rizwan was the bridge between Babar and Shaheen, but that mode of communication has also had a massive breakdown.
I do not believe this at ALL.

PR agency wants Rizwan as next captain so they have started pushing for Rizwan being lone wolf narrative. It keeps their power the team. Even their paid journalists are talking against Babar in an indirect way. PR agency knows where the wind is blowing.

Time for babar to retire from t20is and if he doesn't he should be kicked out from the team along with all his friends.

They have talked about Azam khan elaborately. THey have praised him so much that i am starting to doubt if Pakistan is unable to extract something out of him? Pdogg seems to have worked with him in CPL.
In most occasion he has failed to play more than 5 deliveries. He has crumbled under international cricket pressure.

Babar Azam is a world class player marred by a team lacking in ability and strength he is experienced enough to carry this team though he is also guilty on not choosing the right players

All 3 really laid into Babar's captaincy. I am not sure how Pakistan former players have to say about Babar.
Everyone is laying into him and most have been for years now.
Misbah was someone who always shy'd away from speaking against him till now but looks like even he has had enough

Babar Azam is a world class player marred by a team lacking in ability and strength he is experienced enough to carry this team though he is also guilty on not choosing the right players

World class means he's class compared to the entire planet and the only world class opener or top order bats we've ever had is Zaheer Abass and Saeed Anwar. The rest like Aamir sohail are okayish.

Babar's competiton is Travis head, David Warner, Phil Salt, Jo's Butler, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Quinton De Kock, Rezza hendricks, Finn Allen, Dk, Rachin ravindra, Ibrahim Zardan, Gurbaz, Johnson Charles etc.

He's not class. He's only > NZ players solely because they haven't played in a few months and are out of it but he was still below them this January. As for WI, He's > them as a batter but not as a t20 batter.

World class means he's class compared to the entire planet and the only world class opener or top order bats we've ever had is Zaheer Abass and Saeed Anwar. The rest like Aamir sohail are okayish.

Babar's competiton is Travis head, David Warner, Phil Salt, Jo's Butler, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Quinton De Kock, Rezza hendricks, Finn Allen, Dk, Rachin ravindra, Ibrahim Zardan, Gurbaz, Johnson Charles etc.

He's not class. He's only > NZ players solely because they haven't played in a few months and are out of it but he was still below them this January. As for WI, He's > them as a batter but not as a t20 batter.
Exactly

World class means he’s in the same category of Head, Klaasen, Salt, SKY

Is Babar in this category?

Hahahahaha

Exactly

World class means he’s in the same category of Head, Klaasen, Salt, SKY

Is Babar in this category?

Hahahahaha
Well I listed openers only cause Bobby opens lol.

Buy yeah you can include Klaseen and sky as well and various others if you're bringing in MO batters as well lol.

The only Pakistani captain ever to beat India in a World Cup. He's there again. Another opportunity to repeat the same.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Kamran Akmal, a key player in Pakistan's 2009 T20 World Cup victory, emphasized the importance of adapting to New York's unique playing conditions:

"The Pakistan team will be dependent on Babar [Azam] heavily and he should step up too because in Pakistan’s team, there is only one player who can take the game [deep] by securing one end and forming a partnership."

“So, the players have to keep believing in themselves. The management needs to give a great game plan, bowlers will have to deliver with the ball. The middle-order needs to score runs, we cannot depend on one player. No doubt, Babar is the number one batter in the world, but if he gets out, the coming batter should take responsibility [to score runs]."

Pakistan team has become a laughing stock , clueless decision after clueless decision . After we are shamefully kicked out the first group stage hopefully and one can only hope this will create a new cleanse in the team.

Babar Azam continues his bad record against India in T20Is

Babar Azam scores vs IND in T20Is

68*(52) – 2021 T20WC, Dubai
10(9) – 2022 Asia Cup, Dubai
14(10) – 2022 Asia Cup, Dubai
0(1) – 2022 T20WC, Melbourne
13(10) - 2024 T20WC, New York

Back