[VIDEOS] Shan Masood as Pakistan Test captain performance watch

Javed Miandad about Shan Masood’s Appointment:

"Those who doesn't understand cricket removed Babar Azam from captaincy,"

"Sarfaraz Ahmed should not only be included in the team against Australia, but due to his experience, he should have been the captain,"​
Anyone suggesting Sarfaraz as captain doesn't understand modern day cricket. Shan might not have earned the captaincy on his performance and the jury's still out on whether he can inspire a team but Sarfaraz is more likely to fight with a team mate than inspire them nowadays.

Good start to the tour for Shan, 53* so far

Shan looking in good touch as he moves to 80. playing with a strike rate of 60. Good stuff from the test new captain.

Surprised. This is not a pop gun attack, good on him.

Shan nearing a 100 against PM IX. Not jinxing it but would like to acknowledge his improved game at the start of this tour game.

Here you go. Shan Masood, the new test captain for Pakistan, has completed his century against PM IX. What a good start for him on this tour. 4-day game it is but still a good sign for him getting that hundred that too with 60+ strike rate.

Contrary to many I think he has genuinely improved in the last 5 years to average 40 plus in test cricket and his issues in test cricket are more mental than technical.
Hopefully he can have a late career resurgence like Misbah and can flourish with the added responsibility

Shan Masood is playing a beautiful innings here. Some excellent shots so far. Looked in total control.

As day 1 ended, Shan Masood held the bat and went not out for 156. Superb innings so far for the new captain. It will boost his confidence immensely ahead of the 1st test match in Perth.

I knew Shan was a terrible cricket player - I didn't know just how bad. He averages under 30 in Tests having played 56 innings. I mean is there anyone in the history of Pakistani cricket who has been less deserving?

Average of just 28.51!

That's not just bad - that is shocking.

Obviously, this bowling attack when compared to Starc, Cummins, and Hazlewood, Boland, is nothing but still batter has to play every ball on merit which Shan did today.

Obviously, this bowling attack when compared to Starc, Cummins, and Hazlewood, Boland, is nothing but still batter has to play every ball on merit which Shan did today.
Yes, and while the other's failed (despite getting starts) he pressed on.

I knew Shan was a terrible cricket player - I didn't know just how bad. He averages under 30 in Tests having played 56 innings. I mean is there anyone in the history of Pakistani cricket who has been less deserving?

Average of just 28.51!

That's not just bad - that is shocking.
I don't know why pakistanis judge players based on bad stints at the beginning of their career and not on recent perfomances.

In cricket first impressions don't matter its a game where some players go away and work hard in domestic and county and make a come back only to do better

If every team selected their players based on perfomances from the past or based on players from start of their career alot of world class players now wouldn't be playing today

This is the reason why teams like India Australia and England are ahead of pakistan in all forms of cricket.

On the other hand pakiatan has always given players a opportunity with potential, groom them and when they are about to hit their peak only to drop them for someone new. But then at the same time stuck with players who had good start to their careers but who have now regressed but just because they performed really well 4 years ago they are the first name in the squad

Pakistan selection is more to do with popularity then perfomances

I don't know why pakistanis judge players based on bad stints at the beginning of their career and not on recent perfomances.

In cricket first impressions don't matter its a game where some players go away and work hard in domestic and county and make a come back only to do better

If every team selected their players based on perfomances from the past or based on players from start of their career alot of world class players now wouldn't be playing today

This is the reason why teams like India Australia and England are ahead of pakistan in all forms of cricket.

On the other hand pakiatan has always given players a opportunity with potential, groom them and when they are about to hit their peak only to drop them for someone new. But then at the same time stuck with players who had good start to their careers but who have now regressed but just because they performed really well 4 years ago they are the first name in the squad

30 test matches is not just the “beginning” of someone’s career. We have only played 22 Test matches total in the last 3 years. Being given the chance to play 30 test matches means that Shan has been given years and years of opportunities and not made use of them - and we are not talking about some young developing talent, he’s already 34 years of age.

You mention teams like England, Australia, and India. Which top order Test batsmen have they selected that had had such a terrible record across 30 Test matches and then became world class? Have they ever selected someone for that many matches who has had that horrible of a record?

Yeah I like Shan but he’s very lucky to have played so many tests for Pakistan a player with less privileged background would not have got this many opportunities. As I said earlier it would be very good for our cricket if someone like Shan can have a good career as this will encourage more boys from educated backgrounds to take up cricket but right now he is justifiably under scrutiny and only a consistent run of good form for 8-10 games can take him away from firing line.

Yeah I like Shan but he’s very lucky to have played so many tests for Pakistan a player with less privileged background would not have got this many opportunities. As I said earlier it would be very good for our cricket if someone like Shan can have a good career as this will encourage more boys from educated backgrounds to take up cricket but right now he is justifiably under scrutiny and only a consistent run of good form for 8-10 games can take him away from firing line.
Babar and Rizwan are from a less privileged background.
Shan could be a "parchi," but he has talent too.

As long as he scores runs, his captaincy will be fine (he is a fine tactician). The main thing is how many runs he scores.

I'm super happy with Shan as captain. Really hope he justifies his selection by scoring runs.
My gut tells me someone like Shan might excel with captaincy.

Curious to see if he does well in tests, whether he will get a chance in the shorter formats.

I'm super happy with Shan as captain. Really hope he justifies his selection by scoring runs.
My gut tells me someone like Shan might excel with captaincy.

Curious to see if he does well in tests, whether he will get a chance in the shorter formats.
If Shan gives a hell of a performance this series then certainly a white ball comeback is on the cards for Shan.

Shan may score a 300 here which is good, but Babar should not have been sacked as Test captain that's a fact, from Javed Miandad to Chappel to Harsha Bhogle to Atherton all around the globe expert's were of the same opinion yet PCB did circus

I disliked masood at his debut/first few years as he looked awful and I didn’t feel he was deserving. Changed my mind later on when it was clear he was improving and fixing his game and started dominating domestic which he wasn’t before. With those sa performances he should have got a longer run in his second stint.

A lot of people were the opposite though. They were ready to give him chances early on despite he had no domestic performances to back it up. And when he came back and had improved in domestic, they wrote him off due to his past record.

This is why it’s sometimes dangerous for a player to be given too many chances when not ready. Happened with Hafeez was left in the wilderness for years after accruing so many bad performances when young. It might be currently happening to Mohammed Harris too now.

That run-out of Khurram was a total brain-freeze from Shan actually. Why would you try and take a single on the first ball of the over when you have a tail-ender on the other end?

These little things should be kept in check, can change the game in seconds.

What is the definition of recent performances?

And can you please list scores of his last 10 Tests? Would that be recent for you?

Shan big test will start on 14th he has been dominating PM Xi type attacks for past 5 years it’s the step up where he has been found wanting

Can you list some players who were selected in the above teams based on recent performances despite having terrible overall record? Just check the first class averages of Indian T20 players like Jaiswal, Gaikwad, Iyer, Rinku and you'll be baffled at how good they are in all formats of the game. Pakistani selectors regularly pick players with mediocre stats in domestics and start believing they will somehow overperform in cricket of higher quality.

What is the definition of recent performances?

And can you please list scores of his last 10 Tests? Would that be recent for you?
Have you heard of domestic and county?

I'm not going to go digging his perfomances
But he's had a decent domestic and country perfomance recently

I believe in the concept of when a player is dropped and he is going back to domestic and county working hard to improve his game and if he has improved he should be given a chance

I don't belive in the concept of player being dropped and then going on tv and whinging about he's dropped

I don't believe in the concept of hyping players or disregarding players on players and then rest of my life trying to prove to people of forum I have a great knowledge of cricket and I was right

Go check his recent perfomances in domestic and English county

Can you list some players who were selected in the above teams based on recent performances despite having terrible overall record? Just check the first class averages of Indian T20 players like Jaiswal, Gaikwad, Iyer, Rinku and you'll be baffled at how good they are in all formats of the game. Pakistani selectors regularly pick players with mediocre stats in domestics and start believing they will somehow overperform in cricket of higher quality.
Why don't you list what pakiatani players have been selected without domestic perfomances?

Don't give me stats from 10 years ago talk about recent perfomancesc in quaid e azam trophy

If he can keep Australia’s run rate below 3.5 throughout the series

That would actually be a great start

Have you heard of domestic and county?

I'm not going to go digging his perfomances
But he's had a decent domestic and country perfomance recently

I believe in the concept of when a player is dropped and he is going back to domestic and county working hard to improve his game and if he has improved he should be given a chance

I don't belive in the concept of player being dropped and then going on tv and whinging about he's dropped

I don't believe in the concept of hyping players or disregarding players on players and then rest of my life trying to prove to people of forum I have a great knowledge of cricket and I was right

Go check his recent perfomances in domestic and English county
Masood was excellent in County Div 2 which is well below international standard but he was very poor in County Div 1 which is close to international standard.

Pakistan FC is not a barometer for success for those players who have already proved that they don’t have what it takes to excel at Test level and Masood has also demonstrated that in various stints over 10 years.

He has 56 innings at Test level and it is a more than big enough sample set to prove that you are or are not good enough for Test cricket and we know which side of the spectrum Masood falls on.

He wasn’t, isn’t and never will be good enough for Test cricket but it appears that some people will never accept it. There are hundreds of batsmen who are successful in County Div 2 and Pakistan FC but can’t cut it at Test level and he is one of them.

The punchline of the joke is that Pakistan have ended up making him captain when he should not even be in the team in the first place.

Why don't you list what pakiatani players have been selected without domestic perfomances?

Don't give me stats from 10 years ago talk about recent perfomancesc in quaid e azam trophy
QEA performances shouldn’t matter when you have already proved that you are not good enough for Test cricket.

Why would you worry about what someone does in domestic cricket when he averages 28 in Test cricket after 30 matches?

Such a player performing in QEA should stay in QEA because that is his level.

Shan Masood in an interview on stumps on day 2 during Pakistan’s warm up game against the Prime Ministers XI:

"Whenever we play a practice match, we try to assess the conditions, spend time, see how the ball is responding on the pitch, and also look at the bounce and pace. Having first-class status for this match puts you in a competitive environment. Only 11 players can play, even though our touring squad is 18. For everyone, whether they are batsmen or bowlers, it’s a good opportunity to achieve the purpose of a match, be it first-class cricket or domestic cricket; it gives you a way to play future cricket.”

“The way the last two days have gone, we have done quite a few positive things as a side, and there are many things that will help us succeed in this test series.”

“In the last few years, the cricket I have played, I have tried to simplify it. Milestones are good things, but your way of playing, your form, your fitness—these things matter more. When you keep these things under control, your attitude towards the game is good, so the result is always a by-product of this thing. So, I think I am in a good space as a player, as a person, playing good cricket; now the effort will be to maintain it and bring consistency to it.”

Look, the same thing is in bowling; our focus is to bowl well, hit good areas, do those things that we will have to do in Test cricket, bowl long spells, consistently in one place, hold one end with the spinners, and also take wickets. These are some things that we are looking at together, and today the bowlers have responded very well. We have also kept the run rate under control, taken some wickets, and we could have taken one more wicket, which could have made our position in this match very strong, but look, there are still two full days left. Four-day cricket is just like that; it goes slow, and suddenly, day three and four are called moving days; everything can change in them, and the possibility of the result of the match can also be there."​

Shan Masood is a down to earth and very humble person, which is what a leader should be like.

Shan Masood is a down to earth and very humble person, which is what a leader should be like.
There are many humble players who performed better in domestic cricket but weren't given the extended run Shan Masood has been given. Anyone looking at it objectively can see this is yet another example of nepotism.

I think multiple things are true:

1) Shan seems like a good person/leader based on the media interviews and interactions with the media - although this can be deceptive so we have to wait and see.

2) He has been horrible at the international level despite being given many opportunists. 30 Tests is years and years of Test cricket in Pakistan.

3) He has benefitted and received more opportunities due to his father’s wealth and connections.

4) Now he is Test captain and even though he hasn’t performed, he does seem like a hard working individual and we should hope for his success as his success is the success of Pakistani cricket.

Shan will be tested when lines up against WTC and WC winning skipper Pat Cummins and the deadly duo Starc & Hazlewood score 200 there otherwise you at present he is a mediocre averaging 28 batsman

I think multiple things are true:

1) Shan seems like a good person/leader based on the media interviews and interactions with the media - although this can be deceptive so we have to wait and see.

2) He has been horrible at the international level despite being given many opportunists. 30 Tests is years and years of Test cricket in Pakistan.

3) He has benefitted and received more opportunities due to his father’s wealth and connections.

4) Now he is Test captain and even though he hasn’t performed, he does seem like a hard working individual and we should hope for his success as his success is the success of Pakistani cricket.
Perfectly put.

Media interviews aren't everything but it's refreshing hearing a Pakistan captain speak with intelligence as opposed to insulting peoples' intelligence like Babar often did.

Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins are going to come really hard at him especially now that he is captain. They are going to pepper him bouncers, short pitched pacy stuff and will even let him have it with verbals, abusive language. Will he be able to withstand the onslaught?

Can you list some players who were selected in the above teams based on recent performances despite having terrible overall record? Just check the first class averages of their T20 players like Jaiswal, Gaikwad, Iyer, Rinku and you'll be baffled at how good they are in all formats of the game. Pakistani selectors regularly pick players with mediocre stats in domestics and start believing they will somehow overperform in cricket of higher quality.

2023/24
Aamer Jamal - 12 wickets @ 31.5
Abrar Ahmed - 6 wickets @29.2

2022/23
Agha Salman - 7 wickets @ 49.4
Khurram Shehzad - 15 wickets @ 45.3
Faheem Ashraf - 8 wickets @ 46.1
Saim Ayub - 516 runs @ 32.3
Noman Ali - 19 wickets @ 49.3

Now it's your turn to not answer a question with another question.

Happy that he got this double century as I'm sure it's a much-needed confidence boost. Mr Hard Worker is going to have to work harder than ever before to make this work.

During a chat with local media, PCB Chief Selector Wahab Riaz said about Shan Masood:

"There were quite a few questions when Shan became the captain. I think many people have now understood that he is a character. He is the kind of character that, if dropped from the team, goes to play first-class cricket, performs well, and then makes a comeback. So, you know, characters like him are crucial for the Pakistan team, whether they are captains or players, and their performances speak for themselves. This was a first-class game he was playing, and hopefully, InshaAllah, in the upcoming test matches, we expect Shan to continue scoring runs."

After his stellar 201*(298) in the ongoing practice game, I am super excited to see how he will perform in the upcoming Test matches. I reckon he will at least score one century.

2023/24
Aamer Jamal - 12 wickets @ 31.5
Abrar Ahmed - 6 wickets @29.2

2022/23
Agha Salman - 7 wickets @ 49.4
Khurram Shehzad - 15 wickets @ 45.3
Faheem Ashraf - 8 wickets @ 46.1
Saim Ayub - 516 runs @ 32.3
Noman Ali - 19 wickets @ 49.3

Now it's your turn to not answer a question with another question.

I don't know where you got your figures from? going by the most recent quid e Azam trophy

Khurram Shahzad - 20 Wickets @ 20.3 (not sure why you have not included him in your 2023/24 list
Aamer Jamal - 12 wickets @ 31.50 and a batting average of 47.5
Abrar Ahmed - 6 wickets @ 29.1 (he only played one game and took 6 wickets in that 1 game)
Norman Ali - 22 Wickets @ 23.0

saim Ayub 553 runs @ 79.00 (with 3 100's)
sarfaraz Ahmed 697 @ 99.5 ( 2 100's and 2 50's)

also funny how you missed out stats for most of the players for 2023/24 even though they played this season classic case of nit picking.

doesn't matter what these guys did last year what matters is what they have done most recently they are in good form
and hopefully will carry this form on.

This thread is not about other players to be compared here. Stay on topic or you can move on to some other thread to talk about irrelevant players here. All unrelated posts will be removed.

He has a calm head and he has experience of captaincy at very good level. He looked really good in his first innings as a captain in the ongoing practice match and I am expecting him to do good with his captaincy.

Multiple binary scores incoming. Thing with Crawley was there was a player waiting to emerge, after an exceptionally long wait.

This guy's shown nothing against the most average teams he's anything but a plucky 30 on a good day.
A bankrupt's Mark Ram Prakash.

There must be a cricketer in Pakistan who can speak legible English, automatically better than this nepobaby.

Have they stopped playing cricket at Aitchison?.

Day 4 has been called off due to a wet outfield and the 4-day game against PM's XI is drawn, Shan Masood is named player of the match for his superb double ton in the first innings.

1702091306983.png

This has been going on for a week since they have arrived. In practice game and sessions, the Aussie players who aren’t in first team approached babar as if he was captain of team and huddled around him.

The fans also are treating babar as captain but I guess you can’t do anything about that. It was very embarrassing to see a video where set of young fans went towards babar, shan masood and a couple of others but ended up totally ignoring the captain.

Cricket Australia social media accounts are putting posts hyping up babar as world class batsman (which he is) and leader.

Already walking on thin ice but he will be scrutinzed further of all the last Pakistan captains Moyo YK Misbah Azhar Sarfraz Babar, Shan has the lowest average of 28, last 15 innings Shan averages 16 only.

Heck Asad Shafiq played 77 Tests with average of 38 yet he was mysteriously dropped from the side Umar Akmal Ahmed Shehzad in whatever chances they got averaged more than Shan.
Let's see what Shan Masood the captain offers

Jason Gillespie speaking to Saj in an interview for PakPassion:

"Australians will know if they can keep Shan Masood quiet from a run making perspective then that could have an impact on the rest of the team."

"Shan Masood to me comes across as a very calming influence. I know he's got he's had a little bit of experience captaining Yorkshire in the county Championship as well but I'm not sure how much more captaincy experience he's had at domestic level."

"You know there no greater test of your captaincy skills and your leadership than leading a team to Australia so a big job for Shan Masood but I'm sure the Pakistan selectors have picked him knowing that that he's absolutely the best man for the job."

Lets see how he does today.
So far looks more self assured a captain vs Babar.
Australia off to a firing start but Shan's still maintaining three slips. Good move while the bowl is moving.

Paraphrasing what was said on commentary:

Shan Masood seems like a very decent / polite guy. Not sure decent will will you a match in Australia!

The fielder that took the catch of Travis Head off Aamer Jamal was well inside the ropes. Not the first time that Travis Head got out in this fashion. I think SHan should be acknowledged for this field placement, I think he worked on this field placing stuff and earned his reward for it. Good captaincy.

Paraphrasing what was said on commentary:

Shan Masood seems like a very decent / polite guy. Not sure decent will will you a match in Australia!
Win a match, maybe not, but from what I remember watching the last time Australia lost a test series at home the opposition captain looked like a quiet timid decent guy.

He is already better than Babar .
Without a doubt and that was a very low bar to begin with. Babar being given the keys to all captaincy was definitely one of the worst moves in a long time. You don’t just give it to the best player for the sake of having a star. There has to be some talent shown for captaincy itself or at least promise. Babar was all about easy promotion when he had never displayed any skipper qualities. He is a class batsman let him just stay as that. He never needed the captaincy.

On the third ball, Shaheen Shah Afridi bowled to David Warner. It looked like a simple dot ball, but the Pakistan skipper misjudged, running past it and awkwardly trying to stop with his left hand.

Pakistan legend Wasim Akram said on commentary:

“That can be very frustrating for a bowler, especially early on in a Test match,”

“Third delivery went straight to the skipper, who misjudged it and gave a single away.”

Mike Hussey agreed and said:

“It’s obviously regrettable and as captain you’d be disappointed with that because, you want to set the standards right from the word go."

“But it happens. And it shouldn’t define the whole day. He’s not the one out there bowling the balls. He’s not the one dropping catches."

“It’s not something that he would have been happy with. But it happens. You can’t make that as an excuse for Australia having a great day.”

Shan Masood's mistake on a basic delivery was unlucky. It can be annoying for the bowler, but these things happen in cricket. It might have influenced the beginning, but it shouldn't spoil the entire day's play.

On the third ball, Shaheen Shah Afridi bowled to David Warner. It looked like a simple dot ball, but the Pakistan skipper misjudged, running past it and awkwardly trying to stop with his left hand.

Pakistan legend Wasim Akram said on commentary:

“That can be very frustrating for a bowler, especially early on in a Test match,”

“Third delivery went straight to the skipper, who misjudged it and gave a single away.”

Mike Hussey agreed and said:

“It’s obviously regrettable and as captain you’d be disappointed with that because, you want to set the standards right from the word go."

“But it happens. And it shouldn’t define the whole day. He’s not the one out there bowling the balls. He’s not the one dropping catches."

“It’s not something that he would have been happy with. But it happens. You can’t make that as an excuse for Australia having a great day.”
bro I can assure you the reason for our loss isn't going to be that 1 run shan didn't save

Looking forward to Shan explaining in Queens English how they have heavily got hammered in this test in a few days time

Some good captaincy despite Australia being the much happier side today, hopefully it can translate into form with the bat.

If Babar Azam was captain, Australia would have been 380/1. Good start from Shan, there's only so much you can get from a bowling line-up made up of unfit and incompetent age fudgers.

Why didn't Shan bowl more overs with Khurram Shahzad? He only bowled 3 overs in the 1st session. That was no brainer

Back