France Bans Halal Meat or Does It?

shaykh

First Class Player
Runs
Post of the Week
‘France has banned halal meat’ has been quite a popular headline this week...mainly Turkish and Middle Eastern press...and I noticed it in a thread on here...

Some of the comments too on the articles and on Twitter were interesting in their condemnation of France...some comments even pointed to how Kosher was allowed but Halal wasn’t...I saw one such comment on here...

Nothing in those headlines which brought about condemnation actually had even a kernel of truth...

So there are three forms of slaughter in France ...
1 - non-Halal/Kosher which involved lethal stunning...
2 - non-lethal stunning followed by ritual slaughter
3 - ritual slaughter

So number 2 is used by some Muslim butchers...as is 3...the benefit of 2 is you can be more productive and thus more profitable ...obviously stunning an animal before you slit its throat is easier in terms of restraining...

It’s number 2 that France has prohibited...they have prevented a specific form of slaughter...which is actually now in line with E.U regulations...

And what’s left is ritual slaughter without stunning which is allowed...and is Halal...many would say it’s actually more Halal...

So no...France has not banned Halal meat...neither has Switzerland...I have a friend who lives there who has no issues getting halal meat ...halal meat is readily imported and readily available...so in essence what is banned in Switzerland is local ritual slaughter...not the meat itself...

Misinformation benefits no-one...

Ive not read anything related to this.

This should never really be an issue for Muslims apart from yet another attack on their religion. Muslims can eat Kosher meat, France , UK , US or even the most extreme secular nation would never dare to ban Kosher, so steaks, kebabs and curries will still be consumed for a long while yet.

Ive not read anything related to this.

This should never really be an issue for Muslims apart from yet another attack on their religion. Muslims can eat Kosher meat, France , UK , US or even the most extreme secular nation would never dare to ban Kosher, so steaks, kebabs and curries will still be consumed for a long while yet.

Yep, that's like a dagger to the islamophobics

Yep, that's like a dagger to the islamophobics

Its like a 100mph reverse swinging yorker, a Mike Tyson uppercut or Maradonna dribbling past Gareth Southgate, game over!

In any case of Islamaphobia or attack on Muslims, just say we are ok with this as long as we can also do the same to the Jews, they will move on to the blacks then.

It is a ban because it is not legal in eu or economically viable to slaughter chicken ritually.

In eu chicken must be stunned, what the French have done is remove number 2 the chicken is unconscious but not dead.

so the butchers will have to use method 1 but that is electrocution which will kill the bird outright which means its not halal because it was dead before the blade cut it and allahs name mentioned .

I'm pretty sure eu do not allow number 3 for poultry all poultry must be stunned that is the case in uk

I could be wrong maybe someone can clarify this better .

It is a ban because it is not legal in eu or economically viable to slaughter chicken ritually.

In eu chicken must be stunned, what the French have done is remove number 2 the chicken is unconscious but not dead.

so the butchers will have to use method 1 but that is electrocution which will kill the bird outright which means its not halal because it was dead before the blade cut it and allahs name mentioned .

I'm pretty sure eu do not allow number 3 for poultry all poultry must be stunned that is the case in uk

I could be wrong maybe someone can clarify this better .

The EU state that only 1 is acceptable in general circumstances...however exceptions are made in the case of religious slaughter...hence why 3 is allowed and always has been...2 is what has been banned...

Back