"Have got to keep watching over Umar’s shoulders all the time or he tends to wander" : Mickey Arthur

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Have got to keep watching over Umar’s shoulders all the time or he tends to wander" : Mickey Arthur

PakPassion.net : You had a chance to see Umar Akmal up close during the recently concluded Limited-Overs series against the West Indies. What are your impressions of him as a player?

Mickey Arthur : First and foremost, I will say that Umar Akmal is a fantastic player. I feel that Umar Akmal plays the brand of cricket that we want to play in One-Dayers and Twenty20 cricket. He is the type of guy who can come in and take the game by the scruff of the neck and get a forty in twenty-five balls. We didn’t have guys in that position before. So, I think he can play. However, he like every other player knows that there are standards to be adhered to. One must conform to those standards or you won’t get another chance. In my first dealings with Umar Akmal when he came into our setup recently I found that he trained hard and well. Yes, you have got to keep watching over Umar’s shoulders all the time or he tends to wander a little bit, but he showed everything during that time that I wanted to see from a Pakistan player. I do have a slight regret, if you can call that, and this applies to Umar and Mohammad Rizwan as well. It is that we saw Umar at number five in the IT20s and Rizwan at number six in ODIs but because we played so well in those games, we didn’t get to see them under pressure or they didn’t get a proper opportunity. That’s all good and I am not complaining as such but I would have liked to see them play as that would have helped in push their careers on a bit.

- See more at: http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...zones-quot-Mickey-Arthur#sthash.ocpycPxS.dpuf

Excellent assessment of Umar Akmal but this bit

"He is the type of guy who can come in and take the game by the scruff of the neck and get a forty in twenty-five balls. We didn’t have guys in that position before."

If I was Umar Akmal, I would have a spring in my step.

Honestly what is with Pakistani lads.

This guy is 25-26, is a husband and a father and still he needs mentorship?

Grow up already, ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Translation: Umar Akmal is immature.

The thing is that this is prolly the most well behaved and grounded Umar Akmal in years so one can only imagine what he was like a year ago

Pakistani players need to get better at seperating personal lives, social lives from professional lives,

Some people need mentor all the time. We all know Umar has talent, he need mentorship to become more consistent and to stop complaining about everything. If Mickey manages to do that, Pak will get another match winner.
I will always rate Umar higher than Rizwan.

Well the coach seems to have a very good opinion about him and seems keen to take him in the team. Guess he will have a talk with Inzi soon

Some people need mentor all the time. We all know Umar has talent, he need mentorship to become more consistent and to stop complaining about everything. If Mickey manages to do that, Pak will get another match winner.
I will always rate Umar higher than Rizwan.

Can you name one such player who went on to became a great of the game? All the truly great players are self made. This is why I was always positive about Kohli. When the likes of Rohit Sharma who was considered much more talented fell behind, it is his own hard work, discipline and motivation which made him rise above his team members

Well the coach seems to have a very good opinion about him and seems keen to take him in the team. Guess he will have a talk with Inzi soon

Inzi is pro Umar. Acknowledges his physical ability but also realizes his mental shortcomings. He's told him to stay quiet and focus on cricket.

I would like someone who tells Umar, dont worry about any criticism, dont worry about getting out, dont worry about your failures, just go out there, open the innings and express yourself.

Which is exactly why Umar needs a mentor to guide him.

Why should an international cricketer who has been playing cricket for many years, need someone to hold his hand and mentor him.

Why should an international cricketer who has been playing cricket for many years, need someone to hold his hand and mentor him.

Many professional sportsmen have mentors they rely on for guidance. He doesn't have to be in the team. It could be your domestic coach, club coach, ex-cricketer etc.

As for your question, why does he need one? Mickey answers that question.

Many professional sportsmen have mentors they rely on for guidance. He doesn't have to be in the team. It could be your domestic coach, club coach, ex-cricketer etc.

As for your question, why does he need one? Mickey answers that question.
Well those mentors can help him as and when he is around them, but when it comes to international cricket he needs to man-up, take responsibility instead of letting himself and others down.

The fact that Mickey is saying he needs watching speaks volumes to me.

Umar Akmal can never be a world class player. Not even in tier 2. He is too timid

Remember "Fredalo"? Remember Ian Botham throwing Nigel Popplewell out of a boat?

People used to lament that Andrew Flintoff and Ian Botham were immature, that they never listened and that they did crazy impulsive things.

In reality they both had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Some people struggled to control them - notably Botham's skipper at Somerset Peter Roebuck, who engineered the sacking of Viv Richards and Joel Garner in the knowledge that it would make Botham leave.

But the brilliant interview with Arthur is the first to raise the possibility that Umar Akmal's transgressions might have a similarly harmless cause.

If I am right with this - and I have suspected this for a long time - then punishing Umar Akmal will not fix anything. He needs a coach whom he trusts and respects enough to listen to. Someone who will put his arm around him and comfort him nine times out of ten when he throws his wicket away, which buys that coach the ability to kick him up the backside the tenth time.

We all know how Umar Akmal performed against Shane Bond and Mitchell Johnson at his peak.

If Mickey Arthur can win him over and make him perform like Michael Vaughan did with Flintoff and Mike Brearley did with Botham, he will go down as an ATG coach.

Umar Akmal could be Mickey Arthur's legacy to cricket.

I'm not sure international cricket is the right place for people who want father-figures and hand holding and egos massaging.

Bob Woolmer was a father figure to all the team members during his stint and all those personalities thrived under him

Let's see what happens. Umar is on thin ice, I myself have mixed reactions about this whole Umar saga.

But one thing that is hard to deny is that we need a player like him in our team be it lower order or top in ODIs at least. Sick of seeing our middle order and lower order botch a potentially 320+ total for a paltry 270 or 280.

Few dream about him in tests which is a long shot for him atm given the long line of players ahead of him for the same middle order spot.

Look.

He's our best batsman for a reason. Even when he's at his worst, he still performs better than most youngsta beauties.

:))

He's a grown man and needs a babysitter essentially.

Should be embarrassed.

Bob Woolmer was a father figure to all the team members during his stint and all those personalities thrived under him

There is a difference between hand holding a 19-20 year old kid and a 26 year old man

I would like someone who tells Umar, dont worry about any criticism, dont worry about getting out, dont worry about your failures, just go out there, open the innings and express yourself.

Don't you think he had a lot of opportunity to play or played like you want him to play!!!

No offence to any of his supporters but the guy is 27-28 (real age) if at that age you still need someone to look over you coz you act like a kid then you don't deserve to be in the profession you are in.. When he was 20-24 doing this I would have understood and have supported him but 27-28 and still doing it then he just doesn't cut it..

Not just him but in any profession the above applies..

Even Bob Woolmer would have made no difference for Umar Akmal.

On this Bob Woolmer comment; Mickey also feels that he is very caring for his players.

On Day 4 of the Dubai Test, he came along to the presser when Yasir Shah was there.

He told us that he was there because he did not want Yasir under any pressure to answer about Pak's collapse to Bishoo that day.

Every now and then he would put a hand on Yasir's shoulders as he answered questions - I feel that the players really respect him, if not as a father then atleast as a wise mentor

I don't really understand why you say that.

Ian Botham and Andrew Flintoff were pretty similar.

Off the top of my head I recall Beefy never wanting to net, being cheeky and insubordinate in the nets with EVERY skipper and coach, getting banned for illegal drugs like Asif, throwing a senior High Court judge's son out of a boat, breaking a bed with Miss Barbados, etc etc

But in Pakistan there seems to be a belief that you can punish everyone into behaving themselves, and that if that doesn't work you discard the player.

It's absurd. It means that Pakistan will always lose some of their best cricketers.

I don't really understand why you say that.

With some players you feel they will listen and learn and mature as individuals. With others you feel that they will never learn and mature.

With some players you feel they will listen and learn and mature as individuals. With others you feel that they will never learn and mature.
I am actually a psychiatrist by profession. (We are the ones who are doctors first, unlike Psychologists).

What you are describing is a terrible trait for a captain. But it is really common in elite sportsmen, from Gazza to Ryan Lochte to Andrew Johns (Aussie rugby league legend) to Ian Botham to Freddie Flintoff.

It doesn't have to rule them out of contention. It is probably easier to handle than an ego like Diego Maradona or Viv Richards or Michael Clarke in the team.

It strikes me that Pakistan is a deeply conservative and hierarchical society which has made this so hard. But Umar Akmal doesn't seem to have the same rampant narcissism as a certain leg-spinning all-rounder or opening batsman.

7 years of international cricket
Over 200 international matches
Still need someone to teach him how to walk?
Simply means he is not worth it, move on from this guy already

7 years of international cricket
Over 200 international matches
Still need someone to teach him how to walk?
Simply means he is not worth it, move on from this guy already

btw that is not what Mickey is saying

He feels Umar has a lot to offer for Pakistan.

Every player who plays for Pakistan has alot to offer for Pakistan.
Unless we are ready to waste for another 20 years to players like him who doesn't perform. 7 years of international cricket is good enough to show what u can do for your country.

Exactly!

I love this site - you guys curate it brilliantly.

But no amount of moderation stops we posters from blindly putting forward our prejudices.

Sure, I endlessly push for Mohammad Asif, Salman and Amad Butt and Aamer Yamin. I admit it.

But here we have an interview in which Mickey Arthur is clearly saying:

"Umar Akmal has been fine with me and he has a big future in all three formats. He can wander off a little bit, but it's nothing terrible and it's nothing disciplinary".

Yet people respond to it with their own prejudices, completely ignoring the fact that the coach has just said that Umar Akmal has been perfectly fine!

I have to disagree with you on that one because Bob was special, he could make the seemingly impossible possible; the bond he had with our team was unique

Exactly!

I love this site - you guys curate it brilliantly.

But no amount of moderation stops we posters from blindly putting forward our prejudices.

Sure, I endlessly push for Mohammad Asif, Salman and Amad Butt and Aamer Yamin. I admit it.

But here we have an interview in which Mickey Arthur is clearly saying:

"Umar Akmal has been fine with me and he has a big future in all three formats. He can wander off a little bit, but it's nothing terrible and it's nothing disciplinary".

Yet people respond to it with their own prejudices, completely ignoring the fact that the coach has just said that Umar Akmal has been perfectly fine!

Great post, thing is Umar has a history of having a poor attitude and lacking a work ethic in general; but in this present moment it's good that Mickey's relation with Umar has got off to a decent start. We hope that it flourishes and our coach is able to bring out the best in him; I actually have faith that Mickey will be the one to to do just that.

Umar has the talent and ability no doubt but it seems as though he finds a way to lose concentration and hasn't had the correct work ethic. He shouldn't need someone to watch him 24/7 but I think Arthur could guide him with useful advice and give him confidence.

He's 26 so there is still time hopefully he stays concentrated on cricket and takes advice on board. Need to find a way to get him in the LO team. Has a lot do to get in the test team.

His Twitter "like" of Mickey Arthur's comments is really promising.

I rarely pay attention to cricketers' Tweets, but it made me read Umar Akmal's.

And they show a man who is growing up. His intro describes himself as a proud Pakistani and he condemns terror attacks in a recent Tweet.

He also congratulated Elgar and Duminy on today's performances, which is a big thing. It doesn't show a Chris Gayle-style man who doesn't follow or think about Test cricket. Rather it shows an international cricketer who thinks about the game.

His Twitter "like" of Mickey Arthur's comments is really promising.

I rarely pay attention to cricketers' Tweets, but it made me read Umar Akmal's.

And they show a man who is growing up. His intro describes himself as a proud Pakistani and he condemns terror attacks in a recent Tweet.

He also congratulated Elgar and Duminy on today's performances, which is a big thing. It doesn't show a Chris Gayle-style man who doesn't follow or think about Test cricket. Rather it shows an international cricketer who thinks about the game.

Also shows that he doesnt get what Mickey is saying!

Honestly Akmal has been harshly treated at least in tests. He averages better than both Azhar and Asad outside Asia while facing better bowlers. In the 90s, he would have been a superstar because there were players with worst attitude in that team. The current team has all the gentleman and Akmal is a big misfit. However, I think he has a bright future under Arthur. He just needs to score runs consistently. There is a high chance that he will get back into test team too once Misbah and Younis retire.

Honestly Akmal has been harshly treated at least in tests. He averages better than both Azhar and Asad outside Asia while facing better bowlers. In the 90s, he would have been a superstar because there were players with worst attitude in that team. The current team has all the gentleman and Akmal is a big misfit. However, I think he has a bright future under Arthur. He just needs to score runs consistently. There is a high chance that he will get back into test team too once Misbah and Younis retire.

He averaged 24 on the England tour. Azhar and Shafiq did significantly better

no point living on his debut century SEVEN years laters

Umar hasnt been harshly treated in tests because till this season he had scored sth like 1 FC domestic century in four years despite playing almost full seasons

He has had a decent current season and if he can mantain that then there is a case for his return

But yes he was dropped fairly. He averaged 26 in his last TEN tests with just 2 fifties in EIGHTEEN innings. Please stop painting him as some victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION], have you seen Umar Akmal instagram post about test cricket?

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] Was just looking at some old stats, didn't realise that Umar Akmal was the 4th highest run scorer during the Pak/Eng Test Series in 2010 and the highest Pakistani run scorer. He also scored more runs during that series then Alistair Cook, Andrew Strauss and Kevin Pietersen; it was the worst English summer for Batting in a while.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION], have you seen Umar Akmal instagram post about test cricket?

I tagged you in it on the thread about cricketers social media posts

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] Was just looking at some old stats, didn't realise that Umar Akmal was the 4th highest run scorer during the Pak/Eng Test Series in 2010 and the highest Pakistani run scorer. He also scored more runs during that series then Alistair Cook, Andrew Strauss and Kevin Pietersen; it was the worst English summer for Batting in a while.
And a few months earlier he did well against Shane Bond and Mitchell Johnson.

He was always really talented: if he is now growing up then the retirement of Misbah and Younis might actually see Babar Azam and Umar Akmal improve the team.

He was always really talented: if he is now growing up then the retirement of Misbah and Younis might actually see Babar Azam and Umar Akmal improve the team.

Am also hoping Umar got really fired up deep within watching his blood score three masterful century's on the trot vs WI's during the ODI series; perhaps it was also a ploy from Mickey:p

No doubt he's talent it's his attitude and work ethic that are in question. He was rightfully dropped from the test team. When Misbah and Younis retire there's places to be had. Lets see what he does than.

But got to admit his attitude seems better under Arthur, we have been here before hopefully it's not a false alarm

Back