"He is the batting coach, isn't he?": Shahid Afridi slams Mohammad Yousuf

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Former captain Shahid Afridi has reacted strongly to Pakistan batting coach Mohammad Yousuf's statement about Mohammad Rizwan during a press-conference. Yousuf, who was appointed Pakistan's batting coach earlier this year in July, was asked about Rizwan and his struggle in Tests, and why was the wicketkeeper batter still persisted with despite a string of low scores. Yousuf being the batting coach was expected to reply to the question about Rizwan being rested, but the words that came out of his mouth left the onlookers surprised.

"Dekhiye, main jab se cricket board ke saath aaya hu - takreeban 2 saal ho gaye hain and koi 8-10 months mujhe team ke saath huye hain. Toh ek cheez bohot clear hai ki har banda apne domain mein reh ke kaam karega. Main kisi ke domain mein nahi jaunga aur koi mere mein nahi aayega. Toh mera nahi khayaal ki ye meri domain ka question hai. Bura mat maniyega but yeh mera domain nahi hai. (When I came aboard the PCB - it has been almost 2 years and some 8-10 months with the team. One thing is clear that every person operates within his domain. I won't enter anyone else's domain and no one else will enter mine. So, I don't think this question belongs to my domain. Don't mind but this is not my domain)," he had said during the PC at the end of Day 3 of the 2nd England vs Pakistan Test in Multan.

While Rizwan has been in top form in T20Is and ODIs, he hasn't fared as well in Tests, conjuring just 236 runs in the last 10 innings. In fact, since his unbeaten 104 against Australia back in March, Rizwan has struggled to even notch up a half-century. Afridi was a bit taken aback by what he heard from his former Pakistan teammate Yusuf and feels that with the Test series lost, the management should consider offering Rizwan a small break and bring in the likes of either Sarfaraz Ahmed or Shan Masood.

"Woh batting coach hi hain na waha pe? Toh zahir hai ki batsmen agar perform nahi karenge, zahir si baat hai ki Mohammad Yousuf se puucha jayega. As a batting coach, yeh toh usi ka domain banta hai. Rizwan ke baare mein, main pehle keh chuka hu ki kisi duusre ladke ko chance de diya jaaye," Afridi said on Samaa TV.

"Main yeh nahi keh raha ki Rizwan ko drop kar diya jaaye lekin usko rest zaruur karaya ja sakta hai. Aap Test series haar gaye ho. Teesra match Karachi mein hai toh aap yaha chance de sakte hain. Why not Sarfaraz? Shan Masood... chances should be given. (He is the batting coach, right? So obviously, if the players do not perform, he will be asked questions. As a batting coach, this is his domain. And about Rizwan, I have already said that the time has come to maybe give other players an opportunity. I am not saying drop Rizwan altogether, but he sure can be rested. You have lost the series and the third Test is in Karachi, so why not bring in someone like a Sarfaraz or Shan Masood)."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-remark-on-rizwan-s-form-101670925090526.html

Former captain Shahid Afridi has reacted strongly to Pakistan batting coach Mohammad Yousuf's statement about Mohammad Rizwan during a press-conference. Yousuf, who was appointed Pakistan's batting coach earlier this year in July, was asked about Rizwan and his struggle in Tests, and why was the wicketkeeper batter still persisted with despite a string of low scores. Yousuf being the batting coach was expected to reply to the question about Rizwan being rested, but the words that came out of his mouth left the onlookers surprised.

"Dekhiye, main jab se cricket board ke saath aaya hu - takreeban 2 saal ho gaye hain and koi 8-10 months mujhe team ke saath huye hain. Toh ek cheez bohot clear hai ki har banda apne domain mein reh ke kaam karega. Main kisi ke domain mein nahi jaunga aur koi mere mein nahi aayega. Toh mera nahi khayaal ki ye meri domain ka question hai. Bura mat maniyega but yeh mera domain nahi hai. (When I came aboard the PCB - it has been almost 2 years and some 8-10 months with the team. One thing is clear that every person operates within his domain. I won't enter anyone else's domain and no one else will enter mine. So, I don't think this question belongs to my domain. Don't mind but this is not my domain)," he had said during the PC at the end of Day 3 of the 2nd England vs Pakistan Test in Multan.

While Rizwan has been in top form in T20Is and ODIs, he hasn't fared as well in Tests, conjuring just 236 runs in the last 10 innings. In fact, since his unbeaten 104 against Australia back in March, Rizwan has struggled to even notch up a half-century. Afridi was a bit taken aback by what he heard from his former Pakistan teammate Yusuf and feels that with the Test series lost, the management should consider offering Rizwan a small break and bring in the likes of either Sarfaraz Ahmed or Shan Masood.

"Woh batting coach hi hain na waha pe? Toh zahir hai ki batsmen agar perform nahi karenge, zahir si baat hai ki Mohammad Yousuf se puucha jayega. As a batting coach, yeh toh usi ka domain banta hai. Rizwan ke baare mein, main pehle keh chuka hu ki kisi duusre ladke ko chance de diya jaaye," Afridi said on Samaa TV.

"Main yeh nahi keh raha ki Rizwan ko drop kar diya jaaye lekin usko rest zaruur karaya ja sakta hai. Aap Test series haar gaye ho. Teesra match Karachi mein hai toh aap yaha chance de sakte hain. Why not Sarfaraz? Shan Masood... chances should be given. (He is the batting coach, right? So obviously, if the players do not perform, he will be asked questions. As a batting coach, this is his domain. And about Rizwan, I have already said that the time has come to maybe give other players an opportunity. I am not saying drop Rizwan altogether, but he sure can be rested. You have lost the series and the third Test is in Karachi, so why not bring in someone like a Sarfaraz or Shan Masood)."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-remark-on-rizwan-s-form-101670925090526.html

The article itself is flawed and misleading

Rizwan has never been in top form in ODIs and his performances since the England T20i series (including the final of the series) needs to be picked up upon. He has not been in top form in T20i either

Whether the criticism is valid or not seems to play second fiddle to bitter relations between ex players, who miss no opportunity to settle scores. Pathetic is a generous way to describe these losers

Whether the criticism is valid or not seems to play second fiddle to bitter relations between ex players, who miss no opportunity to settle scores. Pathetic is a generous way to describe these losers

Yousuf is the most pathetic of them all.

Instituted oath-gate against Younis and then led us to utter humiliation in Australia.

Proceeded to whine, moan, criticise everything about our cricket on TV platforms.

Yet he was rewarded with a top job within the very institution he cried about.

Yousuf is the most pathetic of these pathetic losers and should be far away from the international team.

Afridi is right and I don;t think its anything personal, not at all.

He probably meant that it wasnt in his domain to rwst the player or play him ,this lies with the head coach and the captain. May be he can only advise and not enforce which batting lineup will play.

No offence but Pakistan's whole coaching staff is pathetic. You need educated people in your coaching staff who can read the pitch, make plans etc. Half of Pakistan's problem will be solved if they find a coach who can use his brain. Pakistan need a foreign coach like Tom Moody and a translator for him. He did pretty well with Sri Lankan team. Rameez should go back to his youtube channel and watch his uploaded videos. He used to say a lot of stuff when he was on youtube but doesn't have the spine to implement all those things now that he is the boss of PCB. :inti

Yousuf is the most pathetic of them all.

Instituted oath-gate against Younis and then led us to utter humiliation in Australia.

Proceeded to whine, moan, criticise everything about our cricket on TV platforms.

Yet he was rewarded with a top job within the very institution he cried about.

Yousuf is the most pathetic of these pathetic losers and should be far away from the international team.

Yeah definitely 2nd worst captain in our history and also instigated a lot of trouble during his time.

Even Tait has insinuated in a few press conferences that he has no role in the selection of the bowlers.

Is Yousuf saying that he only has a limited say in what's going on?

Seems like all is not well amongst the management and think-tank.

Well yousuf has a point Maybe he couldve worded it better Hes the batting coach He doesnt make decisions on players being dropped or replaced

So Thats not something he should be commenting or making statements on

Yousaf is being wrongly used in the batting coach role. He was doing a good job at the NHPC, you cannot do much technical work in the middle of the series or even training camp. The best impact you can have is during the off season or at the NHPC and the feedback received from the players about his coaching at the academy was pretty positive. The players also need time to practice and incorporate the changes in their technique or approach

Or is Yousuf saying that some players are untouchable and don't need his advice?

Or is he saying it’s not in my domain to teach these losers how to bat.

A batting coach can only do so much, he can’t go out there and bat for them.

These losers, no matter what the situation is will go out and tuk tuk their life away.

Has Afridi ever listened to a batting coach in his life?

Has Afridi ever listened to a batting coach in his life?

I recall him saying around 2014-2017 something along the lines of I don’t need a coach, or the team doesn’t need a coach at the international level, I have my own way of doing things now, there’s no point.

20+ years into his career, I guess it makes sense to say that. But earlier on he definitely could’ve used some guidance. It would’ve been nice if Inzi, MoYo, Saeed Anwar had a bigger impact on him and that he learned from them. I guess Saeed Anwar probably did have an impact on him. Once he left the picture Afridi fell deeper into the “everything must go” mode of batting.

He had an abundance of natural ability with the bat. Could’ve been the best ever spin bowling all rounder in tests and ODIs, but he didn’t have the hunger and temperament for it.

I recall him saying around 2014-2017 something along the lines of I don’t need a coach, or the team doesn’t need a coach at the international level, I have my own way of doing things now, there’s no point.

20+ years into his career, I guess it makes sense to say that. But earlier on he definitely could’ve used some guidance. It would’ve been nice if Inzi, MoYo, Saeed Anwar had a bigger impact on him and that he learned from them. I guess Saeed Anwar probably did have an impact on him. Once he left the picture Afridi fell deeper into the “everything must go” mode of batting.

He had an abundance of natural ability with the bat. Could’ve been the best ever spin bowling all rounder in tests and ODIs, but he didn’t have the hunger and temperament for it.

I agree actually. Bowling alone at Test level (or any level) would have held his place but was a bit underused at times. He was probably one good sports psychologist (to calm his batting & instill some processes to lower his anxiety/arousal state) away from putting it together in Tests. Had the talent to be a 5-6000 runs and 150-200 wickets guy given how early he started.

Back