• Aluminium

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Titanium

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters

zeusky

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Alright, a week back one of my team-mates got really seriously injured as a bouncer went through his grill and fractured his nose and part of the front skull in a really bad way. He now requires surgery to repair the damages. Though I was not present when that happened (was traveling) the gory details of the incident has left me wondering about the safety offered by some of the helmets we play with. Though a cricket equipment guy, I have never had a strong penchant for the lid part of it and have been using the same not so expensive helmet for the last few years.

I think the majority of us tend to avoid the more expensive models simply because we think that any helmet, as long as it is comfortable should do the job. But is it worth the risk?

What helmet models do the forum members use? What are their pros and cons? How is the protection given by them?

Let us share our experiences in this thread and help each other out.

Is it always a good idea to go for an expensive helmet like Ayrtek?

How are Masuri and Albion?

How are the generic models of SG, SS, CA etc.?

What will you have to say if you compare the protection offered by all the above?

Which is more important when it comes to buying a helmet--- value or protection?

Fire away gentlemen :)

Sad to hear what happened to your team mate.
What helmet was your team mate using? :13:

I don't have a decent helmet :facepalm: but I am planning to buy a Albion.:D

i think in terms of protection - you shouldnt take any short cuts on head protection. i've seen and experienced my self serious injuries that could have been prevented with a good helmet. i'm not convinced on asian helmets yet. personally i'm a big fan of masuris - i've been hit flush on the grill from top edges plenty of times and it's been great. Albion would be my second choice. Ayrtek seems great, but to expensive for my liking.

Alright, a week back one of my team-mates got really seriously injured as a bouncer went through his grill and fractured his nose and part of the front skull in a really bad way. He now requires surgery to repair the damages. Though I was not present when that happened (was traveling) the gory details of the incident has left me wondering about the safety offered by some of the helmets we play with. Though a cricket equipment guy, I have never had a strong penchant for the lid part of it and have been using the same not so expensive helmet for the last few years.

I think the majority of us tend to avoid the more expensive models simply because we think that any helmet, as long as it is comfortable should do the job. But is it worth the risk?

What helmet models do the forum members use? What are their pros and cons? How is the protection given by them?

Let us share our experiences in this thread and help each other out.

What will you have to say if you compare the protection offered by all the above?

Which is more important when it comes to buying a helmet--- value or protection?

Protection comes first; saying that I have been using GM for quite some time now; got hit 2-3 times in the nets while facing some serious quick bowlers (and bit of my own mistake, was late on pull/hook shot) ... I know GM is not the top of the range, but it’s very good too. I was impressed with GM’s protection, didn’t feel much of shock when I got hit !

Most important thing is to make sure your grill doesn’t have enough gap to let the ball go inside ... From your explanation above, I am pretty sure that gap was big enough to let the ball pass through very easily ...

Whenever anyone buys anything they first check there budget and pocket which is general principle before spending.

However, if one can afford then I suggest that one should go for top gun. I have always believed that a expensive product will have a better material used and will last longer for me. However, the purpose of both cheap and expensive is same but material and protection makes a difference.

Some of the helmets which are sold back home I think are not even BSI tested which if I'm not mistaken is helmet test.

I remember before not knowing much I had Yonker helmet and it was amazing comfortable, still one of the most comfortable helmets I have ever worn. It is Indian and I had paid I believe $45 for it and I did get hit on it few times and it shook my whole brain :)) while I have gotten hit on Masuri and I had been perfectly fine.

At the end, it is your head with which you're gambling so one should always protect it to be honest.

Last edited:

1. I won't say go for the most expensive helmet but go for one which is affordable for you and more importantly has gone through all of the helmets test and is passed in all of the test.

2. I have Albion NXT and Masuri and I for some reason prefer Masuri.

3. They are okay but I won't risk my head to be honest.

4. After comparing Ayrtek Premier, Albion NXT and Masuri I'd say all three have same level of protection and makes me feel safe and secure.

5. Protection for sure in my opinion.

CD bro which Masuri do you have: the steel grill or the titanium grill ?

Last edited:
If the ball went through the grill im taking it the gap between the grill and the peak of the helmet was large enough for a ball to get through. Which is not a very wise idea.

I've been hit in the temple with a indoor cricket ball which are a lot softer and lighter and that very nearly knocked me unconscious.

Even a ball that's not fast if it hits the right spot it can do a lot of damage to someone.
I wasn't happy with having a mid range helmet. So I bought the albion elite ti22 pro helmet which has the super lightweight titanium grill and the plastic helmet.

The Albion Ultimate 98 has a titanium grill thats smaller and the helmet is made out of carbon fibre which is what they use in aircraft so its super hard density reinforced plastic. I think the arytek is made of carbon fibre to I believe.

Thats really sad to hear :(

I recently bought Albion Club Edition and i mounted it according to given intruction on the booklet , i feel pretty safe , and yes you should adjust the gap between helmet n grill correctly so ball wont pass through :)

^^^ I agree with Ironhide they are using top stuff in their helmets , very protective :moyo

Seriously No one should play hard ball cricket without helmet even in nets you never know what the ball can do , I have good a woodworm helmet bought for like 35 quid good quality but its not top of the range if you are a batsman they you really need to spend good money on helmet :D

Here in the UK club level pitches in some places are unpredictable you never know where the ball is going to go

If the ball went through the grill im taking it the gap between the grill and the peak of the helmet was large enough for a ball to get through. Which is not a very wise idea.

I've been hit in the temple with a indoor cricket ball which are a lot softer and lighter and that very nearly knocked me unconscious.

Even a ball that's not fast if it hits the right spot it can do a lot of damage to someone.
I wasn't happy with having a mid range helmet. So I bought the albion elite ti22 pro helmet which has the super lightweight titanium grill and the plastic helmet.

The Albion Ultimate 98 has a titanium grill thats smaller and the helmet is made out of carbon fibre which is what they use in aircraft so its super hard density reinforced plastic. I think the arytek is made of carbon fibre to I believe.

The top of the line Ayrtek like RAW and Elites are made from Carbon Fibre.

Have you ever tried Albion Ultimate 98? If so how is that? I really like it for some reason...

Hmm, how do you compare it to likes of Masuri/Ayrtek etc any that you have seen ?

I currently have a Masuri Titanium which I've had for around 3 years now, and it's still going strong. Deffinately the most comfortable helmet I have ever tried on, and the visibility is really good. I replaced the main sweat pad a little while back, and the Titanium sticker is starting to come up, but other than that it is still in good nick. I'm probably due a new helmet if you follow the 2 year rule, so I will either grab another Masuri, or I may go with a Ayrtek, but I'm all good for now.

To me, the Ultimate 98 seemed to be a rough finish on the inside, which I didn't like. Plus it is bulkier than the Masuri. It also has a part at the back that sort of dips down in the middle to cover a bit more of the back of your head, which is good for batting should you ever decide to turn your back when the bowler bowls LOL, but it means it isn't good for fielding up close as it pushes up against your back and makes the helmet move. The Masuri is perfect and you'll find most close up filders wear the Masuri lid. The Masuri has a better finish on it to IMO.

I can't comment on the Ayrtek as I haven't seen one in person yet.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your views; I am sure this thread will help the forum members immensely with their questions about helmets.

Also, could some of you explain the importance of the different materials used in these grills? Which are better than the others? I have been asked this question in the past by several people and this thread should be a good reference point for people with similar questions.

Thanks for the kind wishes for my friend as well; the ball simply went through the gap between the helmet and the grill and luckily missed his eye.

Alright the poll has been created and you can vote more than once so please take your time to vote according to the options given. I think a lot of people will be interested to see the results :)

Thanks CD for making the poll :D

I currently have a Masuri Titanium which I've had for around 3 years now, and it's still going strong. Deffinately the most comfortable helmet I have ever tried on, and the visibility is really good. I replaced the main sweat pad a little while back, and the Titanium sticker is starting to come up, but other than that it is still in good nick. I'm probably due a new helmet if you follow the 2 year rule, so I will either grab another Masuri, or I may go with a Ayrtek, but I'm all good for now.

To me, the Ultimate 98 seemed to be a rough finish on the inside, which I didn't like. Plus it is bulkier than the Masuri. It also has a part at the back that sort of dips down in the middle to cover a bit more of the back of your head, which is good for batting should you ever decide to turn your back when the bowler bowls LOL, but it means it isn't good for fielding up close as it pushes up against your back and makes the helmet move. The Masuri is perfect and you'll find most close up filders wear the Masuri lid. The Masuri has a better finish on it to IMO.

I can't comment on the Ayrtek as I haven't seen one in person yet.

Ah okay, cheers for all that.

I think if one was to spend fortune and on carbon fibre then Ayrtek is way to go, just my thoughts.

No it was not that; the back of the helmet was not too long, if you know what I mean; that's why I had the Players model in mind. I could have asked him but did not for obvious reasons. Will ask him sometime in the future.

Also, I was out of town when they were having the net session and I heard about it once I came back.

The story of the blood and the gory details were not good.

Hear that my friends? I know that you take good care to protect yourself with an abdomen guard and have high quality pads and gloves galore, but please remember to protect your head as well. It is very very important!!

Ideally you are best to get a helmet that fits well. Titanium grill is the strongest ( think its 1-2 times stronger and also lighter than steel) and will offer the best protection.

I have visited Ayrtek and they do look better in the flesh. They have a liner that u pump to fit your head. They have also done extensive testing on there helmets against all the other leading brands and are the safest on the market.

( I haven't voted as I don't wear a helmet )

Last edited:
Here's a good price for Ayrtek
http://www.cricketstoreonline.com/ayrtek-cricket-helmet/

I myself have GN Legend and it fits perfect and is light weight. One more important part of choosing helmet is the fit. How good it fits on you..right ?

Ideally you are best to get a helmet that fits well. Titanium grill is the strongest ( think its 1-2 times stronger and also lighter than steel) and will offer the best protection.

I have visited Ayrtek and they do look better in the flesh. They have a liner that u pump to fit your head. They have also done extensive testing on there helmets against all the other leading brands and are the safest on the market.

( I haven't voted as I don't wear a helmet )

I agree, Ayrtek look lot better in flesh rather than pictures.

Fitting is main thing but again I haven't had chance to buy helmets before checking the sizes of them.

Ayrtek's lining is superb it feels amazing!

In my view Albion Ultimate 98 is the best helmet in the market. Most of the professional players I spoke to regard the above helmet as the best

In my view Albion Ultimate 98 is the best helmet in the market. Most of the professional players I spoke to regard the above helmet as the best

Are they even better than Ayrtek top range? I have not used either so naturally am inquisitive :)

Are they even better than Ayrtek top range? I have not used either so naturally am inquisitive :)

yes i think so, most players don't like the shape of Ayrtek and also their entry level helmet is on the heavier side

I wear a SG test helmet.....
Security comes first ....might wanna buy Masuri or an albion soon...

Here's my take on grills:

Stainless Steel - tried and true, it's strong, a bit weighty but very reliable.

Titanium - Manufacturers sell it as a lighter material and claim it's stronger too. While technically, titanium is slightly more rigid than steel, there are varying grades of the material and thus I'm not sure I would buy a titanium grill from a B-list manufacturer.

Aluminum - If you put an aluminum grill over your face, you're either insane or well..... insane. Aluminum is softer than butter if used as a grill and you might be better off without a helmet.

Whilst I can't vouch for the protective qualities of titanium grills, they're certainly lighter to the extent that it doesn't feel like the helmet's being pulled down on to your head as much as with a steel one.

^Long time no see bruv? Hope all is well!

Personally I have never felt much of weight difference between titanium and steel, I don't know its just me.

I don't mind either to be honest :D.

Just a gentle bump for everyone to see this thread again. Be safe during this cricket season. Good luck!! :D

Just went to buy an Albion but the shop ran out of stock....:facepalm:
2 hours of journey in the traffic just got wasted.....:9:

Hopefully will buy an Albion in the near future......:D

Just went to buy an Albion but the shop ran out of stock....:facepalm:
2 hours of journey in the traffic just got wasted.....:9:

Hopefully will buy an Albion in the near future......:D

That sucks man. Hopefully you will get your wish fulfilled soon.

What made you choose an Albion over everything else?

That sucks man. Hopefully you will get your wish fulfilled soon.

What made you choose an Albion over everything else?

Because in BD you can only buy Albion....I have never seen Masuri in any shops....

Albion is also rare...As far as I know only 1 shop sells them....:facepalm:

The status of the shops are just simply pathetic....

Last edited:
Am getting a Ayrtek RAW soon, not the best looking helmet but i am more insterested in the weight and the fitment, will update you guys once I have it. For now I have a Gray Nicolls Titanium which has served me well for last couple of seasons.

If your team mate was struck with the ball clearly they had the gap too wide between the grill and the helmet.

I've seen cheap Indian helmets shatter in half, the guy who was struck shook it off, the helmet takes the impact. they either dent, break, nothing...the point is they do not transmit the force of the ball to a small area of your head.

It should though be obvious, buy the most expensive helmet you can afford and always wear one when batting.

I have two helmets right now. A GN

http://www.gray-nicolls.co.uk/Helmets/players-helmet/product?page=0

decent protection but a bit too ugly for my taste. I like my Albion a bit better.

http://www.owzat-cricket.co.uk/acatalog/Albion__Ultimate_Classic_Cricket_Helmet.html

My only issue is that it is a bit too tight for me. Since I bought it I noticed theyve increased the sizes just a touch. I wish there was a way to make this helmet fit a bit better. Looks like I'll have to order a new one, not sure but I'll go with either a Masuri or an Albion. I really like the black Albions.

^That's not exactly Masuri's fault....

Its up to the batsman how they adjust their grill to their helmet.....

Let me bowl a bouncer here .....

Most of you might probably know this, in case a few of our friends didn't know :-

A Cricket helmet is made with the required tension as a motor bike safety helmet.
The tension would vary, however, the principle is the same.

A cricket helmet if once hit on the shell, it re-aligns the original tension.

The force / momentum exerted by the ball re-aligns the tension.

Therefore, once the helmet shell is hit hard, the helmet is ideally not reusable. Ideally,
they wouldn't offer the same level of protection.

This applies to being hit hard on the grill as well. However, a few low impact hits are fine, but any hard hit is a No No for reuse of the helmet.

Similar to motor bike helmets, they should not be dropped down on a hard surface, which again re-aligns the tension.

So guys, remember to take care of your helmet, till it gets hit by a bouncer. Never throw it down hard. One more thing to take care of when packing your kit bag ->

Never place your helmet under too much of pressure from other equipment's. They also tend to play with the tension.

Hope, this helps a few of our friends !!!

Back