Herschelle Gibbs' WC '99 drop a fair catch: Shane Warne

jeetu

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/shan...p-catch-gibbs-yadav-ruling-not-out/2016-11-13

Aussie legend believes infamous South African spill was in fact a legitimate dismissal

Shane Warne has rubbed fresh salt into an old South African wound by claiming Herschelle Gibbs' infamous dropped catch in the 1999 World Cup should in fact have been a fair dismissal.

Warne, speaking on Nine's Wide World of Sports during the washed-out second day of the second Test in Hobart, watched the highlights of the classic match back with fellow commentator Mark Nicholas, who asked him if he believed the catch was a legal one.

The legendary leg-spinner then referred to an Umesh Yadav caught-and-bowled to dismiss Joe Root in the ongoing first Test between India and England in Rajkot, in which Yadav like Gibbs before him went to throw the ball up in celebration and lost control at that point.

Unlike Steve Waugh – the batsman who famously benefited from Gibbs' fumble as he went on to post a match-winning unbeaten 120 – Root was given out.

"It's just come to mind recently (because) in England (v India Test) we had one with a caught and bowled as well,"
Warne said.

"To me, I think if you look at this in the slow motion, it looks like (Gibbs) held it, he caught it … he goes to throw it up, and he drops it.

Ironically, Warne's view is in contrast to Gibbs' own opinion on the matter, who this week said he believed the umpires got the decision right on both occasions.

"Mine happened quicker than Yadav's," Gibbs told Indian newspaper Mid-day this week. "There's not much difference between Yadav's and my catch, but he held on to the ball slightly longer than I did."

"He actually had control of the ball and threw it in the air whereas I wanted to throw it up but dropped it." "Mine eventuated in a not out, but Yadav's catch was valid. The umpires got it right both times."

Obviously because Steve Waugh was the batsman . . . .

Didn't they change the rule afterwards. Pretty sure it would have been out according to the current rules. Gibbs only lost control of the ball when he went to throw the ball in the air after taking the catch.

Back