Hollywood Corner

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Welcome to Hollywood Corner

I'm thrilled to kickoff this thread dedicated to all things Hollywood. The buzz around upcoming releases, and the lives of our favorite stars. So, I thought, why not create a space where we can all gather and chat about the latest gossips and news.

Hollywood never fails to keep us hooked. Whether it's the excitement surrounding anticipated movies or the headlines about our beloved celebrities, there's always something brewing in this entertainment realm.

Let's make this space to share thoughts, predictions and what's happening in the Hollywood.

Hollywood actor Christian Oliver, 2 daughters killed in Caribbean plane crash: report​

American actor Christian Oliver and his two daughters have died in the Caribbean after the aircraft they were traveling in "plummeted into the ocean" moments after takeoff from an island in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, officials and reports say.

The Royal St. Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) said the small, one-engine aircraft owned and piloted by Robert Sachs, a resident of the island of Bequia, crashed into the sea about one nautical mile west of the island of Petit Nevis around midday Thursday.

"The aircraft went airborne from the J.F. Mitchell Airport in Paget Farm about 12:11 p.m. for St. Lucia as its final destination. Moments after taking off, the aircraft experienced difficulties and plummeted into the ocean," police said in a Facebook post.

Police identified the victims as Sachs and his three passengers onboard: Christian Klepser and his daughters, Madita, 12, and Annik, 10.

Klepser, who goes by the stage name Christian Oliver according to media reports, has "worked with the likes of Steven Soderbergh in The Good German opposite Cate Blanchett and George Clooney, Brian Singer and Tom Cruise in Valkyrie and the Wachowski’s in Speed Racer and Sense8," according to his website. The actor also appeared in a 1995 film adaptation of the popular book series, "The Baby-Sitters Club."

In his most recent post on Instagram four days ago, Oliver shared an image of people gathered on a beach and wrote, "Greetings from somewhere in paradise! To community and love… 2024 here we come!"

In another post on Instagram, actress Bai Ling -- who said she was working with Oliver for the upcoming film Forever Hold Your Peace -- wrote "I just could not believe it is the truth, the last we worked filming in Hollywood was December 20th 2023, just right before Christmas."

"He was so. nice, works so hard and such a brave actor and a beautiful gentle person, we played lovers in this film, just so so so sad... And his daughters were so so young," she added.

Welcome to Hollywood Corner

I'm thrilled to kickoff this thread dedicated to all things Hollywood. The buzz around upcoming releases, and the lives of our favorite stars. So, I thought, why not create a space where we can all gather and chat about the latest gossips and news.

Hollywood never fails to keep us hooked. Whether it's the excitement surrounding anticipated movies or the headlines about our beloved celebrities, there's always something brewing in this entertainment realm.

Let's make this space to share thoughts, predictions and what's happening in the Hollywood.
Hollywood used to be great when Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damme were around now recently it's been totally Dwayne Johnson, Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves domination

Oppenheimer was the big winner at the Golden Globe Awards, taking home five awards including the top prize.

Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr were both recognised for their acting performances, while Christopher Nolan won best director.

Succession scored the most wins in the TV categories following its acclaimed fourth and final season.

Meanwhile, Barbie won the first box office achievement award, after grossing $1.4bn (£1.13m) worldwide.

Oppenheimer star Murphy paid tribute to Nolan's "rigour, focus and dedication" in making the film, which grossed $954m (£750m) at the box office.

"I knew the first time I walked on Christopher Nolan's set that it was different," he said in his acceptance speech.

"I could tell by the level of rigour, focus, dedication, and the complete lack of seating options for actors, that I was in the hands of a visionary director."

BBC

Wife of singer James Morrison found dead

Gill Catchpole, the wife of singer James Morrison, has died.

Ms Catchpole, who had two daughters aged 15 and five with the singer, was found dead in her home in Whitminster, Gloucester, on Friday.

In a statement, Gloucestershire Constabulary said: "Police were called to Whitminster in Gloucester at around 9.10am on Friday 5 January following concerns for the welfare of a resident.

"Officers attended and the body of a woman in her 40s was found within an address.

"The death is being treated as non-suspicious at this time.

"The coroners and woman's next of kin have been informed."

The couple were together for around two decades, and met after Ms Catchpole moved into Morrison's mother's home as a lodger.

SKY News

Sag Awards: Oppenheimer leads nominations as Leonardo DiCaprio snubbed

Oppenheimer leads the nominations at the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards, days after it triumphed at the Golden Globes.

Christopher Nolan's film has four nominations, while American Fiction, Barbie and Killers of the Flower Moon each have three.

However, Leonardo DiCaprio is notably absent from the best actor category.

The winners are voted for by Sag-Aftra's membership of more than 119,000 actors.

Succession, Beef, The Crown, Ted Lasso and The Bear are among the nominees in the television categories.

While DiCaprio is a notable omission in best actor, this is a particularly crowded year for the category, and five other favourites have been nominated at the SAG Awards.

Bradley Cooper, Colman Domingo, Paul Giamatti, Cillian Murphy and Jeffrey Wright are all recognised.

In the best actress race, the four women deemed to be favourites for an Oscar nomination - Sandra Huller, Emma Stone, Lily Gladstone and Carey Mulligan - are joined at SAG by Margot Robbie for Barbie.

The SAG Awards offer a good indication of which actors could be nominated later this month for the Oscars. This year's Academy Awards take place on 10 March.

Oppenheimer and Succession were the big winners at Sunday's Golden Globes, while Anatomy of a Fall, The Holdovers, Barbie and Poor Things won two prizes each.

Source: BBC

Aquaman’ actor Jason Momoa shocks fans​

Aquaman actor, Jason Momoa, in a new docuseries – a series of program provide facts and information about a subject without any fictional elements – stated that he currently has no home to live in as he reveals his living status.

Jason Momoa dropped a surprising revelation about his living situation on the upcoming docuseries ‘On the Roam.’

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, the DC hero disclosed, ‘Bro, I don’t even have a home right now. I live on the road. So, I’m down to New Zealand to start Minecraft. I hope everyone loves it.’

Scheduled to premiere on January 18 on Max, the documentary captures Momoa meeting various artisans in New Zealand who specialize in creating artistic pieces from old items such as bikes and choppers.

In the trailer, Jason provides glimpses of his nomadic life, saying, ‘I’m always in these weird places. You’re gonna find me on the road. It happens all the time. They’re like, ‘What the hell are you doing in our hometown?”

He expressed his love for the idea of immersing himself in everyday life, sharing, ‘I love the idea of just being with everyday people and doing my craft, which is filming, and then showing them. And so, I think through doing that for so long, I got to be curious about it.'”

Source : Max original

John Wick 5‘ was confirmed to be in the works and fans are waiting to see how the franchise goes ahead after the stunning ending in ‘John Wick: Chapter 4‘.

The fourth movie follows “Baba Yaga” going all guns blazing (literally) to take down the High Table, who has put a bounty on him, and free him from all the debt and obligations.

Keanu Reeves, in an interview, said he and the makers were planning for John Wick to die in a blaze of glory to be free and at peace.

“We had the opportunity [to do another film] because of the audience [response to] Chapter 3, and we were like, ‘What was the Why?'” Reeves said according to US news agency Digital Spy. “And when Chad and I was talking, the Why? was death — and it was John Wick’s death.

“For him to get his peace, or freedom, in a way… that was the reason to make the movie. It can’t just be, ‘Let’s do another one’. It was really about death, or a way of dying. We were really inspired by the Hagakure (Samurai warrior code for living and dying well).”

Chad Stahelski, who had confirmed ‘John Wick 5‘ earlier, said the upcoming films would be very different to the prequels. He added that the ending of ‘John Wick: Chapter 4‘ means there will never be another film based on the character and it was a nice and elegant way of bidding farewell to it.

“If there is another John Wick movie… I do feel like it will be a completely [different] book. If these movies were four chapters… the next John Wick will be another book. It won’t be like six months from John Wick 4. We just don’t know what that is. But we all love spending time together, and we love the process. The more time that goes by, the more we miss it,” he said.

Source : The Economic Times

Tom Cruise set to make Top Gun 3! Another sequel is in the works at Paramount - despite movie star inking huge new deal with Warner Bros.

Tom Cruise is flying back into action for a new Top Gun sequel after the massive box office success of the previous entry.

ing back into action for a new Top Gun sequel after the massive box office success of the previous entry.

The 61-year-old superstar will be back as Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell, and Paramount, which will be producing again, is hoping to reunite him with his recent costars Miles Teller and Glen Powell.

The news that Cruise is back in business with Paramount — where he has released many of his recent films — comes just days after he signed up for a deal with Warner Bros. to produce and develop new films for that studio, including movies he'll star in.

According to Puck News, Maverick co-writer Ehren Kruger is writing a script for the third entry in the series.

Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that director Joseph Kosinski is also expected to return after proving himself with the critical and commercial smash success.

Cruise's last deal with Paramount ended in 2006, despite his continued work with the studio, and the new deal with Warner Bros. is nonexclusive, which will allow him to still work with other studios.

However, he's expected to be getting his own office on the Warners lot.

Cruise and his costars helped lead the long-awaited sequel Top Gun: Maverick to nearly $1.5 billion in grosses, and the action film's months-long stint in theaters help revive the theatrical business amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Although news of the high-flying sequel struck some as an attempt to blunt the positive publicity Warner Bros. was getting for scoring a Cruise connection, THR reports that it has been quietly in development since the late fall.

Paramount didn't comment on the development.

Despite the hopes of Hollywood — and theater owners — that Cruise could once again revive their bottom lines with another successful Top Gun film, they'll have to wait quite some time before it even goes into production.

The actor first has to finish the eighth installment in the Mission: Impossible series, a direct continuation to last year's Dead Reckoning — Part 1, which underperformed compared to expectations.

The film may have also been hurt by only having a brief time on premium screens before the Barbenheimer juggernaut — the dual release of Barbie and Oppenheimer in the same week — pushed it out.

Source: Daily Mail

Arnold Schwarzenegger was detained at a German airport for allegedly failing to declare a luxury watch he was planning to auction for charity.

The Hollywood actor was held for three hours at Munich airport on Wednesday.

An investigation for alleged tax evasion was launched as the watch was intended to be sold within the European Union (EU).

According to EU rules, anyone arriving with "cash or certain valuable items" over €10,000 (£8,580) must declare it.

However, a source told CBS News, the BBC's US partner, that Schwarzenegger was not asked to fill out a declaration form.

The actor, politician and climate change campaigner was eventually able to pay the tax, but only after overcoming a number of problems.

After an initial card machine did not work, it was discovered that the nearest bank was closed and ATM withdrawal limits were too low, meaning the 76-year-old had to wait for a new card machine to be brought by customs officials, the source said.

The actor's spokesman told German tabloid Bild that the airport incident was "a total comedy full of errors, but which would make a very funny police film".

Bild said he "took the incident calmly" and an image it published showed a smiling Schwarzenegger posing for a photo and holding a box for the watch with a note saying "For Austria".

According to local media, the watch was custom-made for the Terminator star by luxury watchmaker Audemars Piguet, which makes timepieces that can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The watch was said to be up for auction at a fundraising dinner for The Schwarzenegger Climate Initiative in Kitzbuhel, Austria, about 89 km (55 miles) from Munich, later on Thursday.

A press release for the event, due to take place at the five-star Stanglwirt hotel, said "artworks, signed exhibits, and experiences from the worlds of sports and film" will be up for sale.

An auction listing for the watch, obtained by Bild, said it was one of only 20 in existence, and would include "an image of Arnold in his iconic pose with the words 'Arnold Classic'". The stated starting price for bids was €50,000.

Trevor Noah on why hosting the Grammys is "particularly nerve-wracking"​

As a comedian, Trevor Noah is no stranger to crowd work. But even he admits he has some nerves about the audience he'll face at his upcoming gig: The Grammys.

Noah is hosting the Grammy Awards for the fourth consecutive year on Sunday. The former "The Daily Show" host said he loves the unpredictability of the show.

"I don't know what's going to happen. So that's what I love about the Grammys is it's live; it's happening; it's on the fly," Noah told "CBS Mornings" co-anchor Gayle King in an interview for the show's "Road to the Grammys" series.

Preparing to host the Grammys

Unlike comedian Jo Koy who was tapped to helm the Golden Globes for the first time earlier this month on short notice, Noah has had some experience leading a star-studded ceremony. However, Noah still has concerns just like any other host.

"Here's the thing about award shows is everybody loves the joke when it's not about them, and your goal and your hope is to tell a joke about the person that they also think is funny. So it's difficult. And I think every comedian understands this," Noah explained. "I think what makes the Grammys particularly nerve-wracking for me is like, these are superstars. Yeah. These are like, I don't wanna get on the wrong side of Taylor Swift fans. So you're trying to walk this fine line of being, you know, the comedian, but then also, still being nice about the night."

Source : Yahoo News

Grammys 2024: Celine Dion gives Taylor Swift top award and Jay Z speaks up for Beyonce
Close

Celine Dion surprised fans at this year's Grammy Awards by making a special appearance to present the album of the year trophy.

The singer got a rapturous reception when she emerged on stage and announced Taylor Swift as the winner of the top award.

Swift became the first performer to win the prize four times but seemingly snubbed Dion on stage by hugging everyone else except the big ballad singer.

Jay Z was honoured with the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award for his contribution to the music industry and used his speech to speak out about his wife Beyonce having never been awarded album of the year at the Grammys.

Miley Cyrus and Billie Eilish took the other top awards at Sunday's ceremony.

Taylor Swift's father Scott Swift accused of assaulting photographer

Australian police are investigating an allegation by a paparazzo that he was assaulted by Taylor Swift's father.

Ben McDonald, 51, accused Scott Swift, 71, of striking his face on a Sydney wharf. He did not need medical help.

The confrontation happened on Tuesday after Mr Swift and the pop megastar disembarked from a yacht.

A spokesperson for the singer did not address the assault claim but said two people had behaved aggressively towards them, local media reported.

A video published by Australian media shows the singer, who is concealed beneath an umbrella, walking with her father and security guards along Neutral Bay Wharf about 02:30 local time (15:30 GMT Monday).

Cameras flash before two voices - reported to be a photographer and a guard - accuse each other of touching umbrellas. It is unclear whether the footage captures the alleged incident.

Mr McDonald told the BBC the singer had already entered a car when Mr Swift "charged in" and attacked him.

"I've been doing this for 23 years and I haven't been in a situation where someone's hit me in the chops," he said, adding he had not provoked the incident.

The singer's representative said: "Two individuals were aggressively pushing their way towards Taylor, grabbing at her security personnel, and threatening to throw a female staff member into the water."

Swift had just performed the final Australian concert in her immensely popular Eras tour.

"The younger man reported the incident and inquiries are now under way by officers attached to North Shore Police Area Command," New South Wales Police said in a statement.

BBC

The whole Epstein thing has made me stop watching these awards and what not, institutions are definitely crumbling, I rather watch a funny reel or dog memes nowadays than the propaganda movies(Hollywood or bollywood).
Could also be my attention span.

The whole Epstein thing has made me stop watching these awards and what not, institutions are definitely crumbling, I rather watch a funny reel or dog memes nowadays than the propaganda movies(Hollywood or bollywood).
Could also be my attention span.

Attention span and age. I don't have the patience either these last few years. Also, watching a movie requires suspending our disbelief. This is harder to achieve when you grow older and more mature and realise the world is not all fantasy. Escapism becomes hard.

Attention span and age. I don't have the patience either these last few years. Also, watching a movie requires suspending our disbelief. This is harder to achieve when you grow older and more mature and realise the world is not all fantasy.
I rewatch old shows, Corner gas is what I’m rewatching again.

Everything else is just boring , I’m ok with comedy and I can give up belief for right entertainment but it has to be funny.

If anything I have realised I’m done with serious cinema, I prefer watching something funny.

Kevin Hart takes home his Mark Twain Prize for American humor​

Comedians love to rib each other. It's almost a requirement for the job and there was plenty of it for Kevin Hart Sunday night as he received the 25th Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.

Tiffany Haddish called him a "leprechaun." Jerry Seinfeld joked that, "If you look at Kevin Hart's career, it doesn't look like it was that hard to do." Chris Rock, Regina Hall, Keith Robinson, Chelsea Handler, Dave Chappelle and others kept the roast going.

Younger comedians were more charitable. Kevin Hart is known for championing undiscovered talent, like Dave Burd, a rapper who goes by the name Lil Dicky. Hart has invested in his music and helped him create a new sitcom. Like Hart, Burd grew up in Philadelphia.

"To like grow up looking at a screen seeing a guy that you think is the funniest guy in the world and then to have that guy pull you and be like 'Let me help and let me tell you everything I know about this industry.' It is the stuff of dreams if I'm being honest with you," Burd gushed before the show.

The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor is considered the highest honor in comedy. Past winners include Richard Pryor, Bob Newhart, Whoopi Goldberg and Eddie Murphy.

Like any big honor, some comedy lovers believe there have been oversights. Neither Seinfeld nor Chris Rock has received the award. Mel Brooks turned it down. The Kennedy Center says he didn't say why.

Sean McCarthy, who writes about comedy for The Daily Beast and Decider, says it's striking that people such as Don Rickles, Phyllis Diller and Joan Rivers have not received the award. A number of recent winners, including Hart, have been in their 40s when they won the prize. McCarthy would like to see the Twain Prize honor older comedians who've inspired younger generations.

"I used to think that The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor was a lifetime achievement award, kind of like The Kennedy Center Honors," McCarthy says. "And it certainly felt that way until about 2010, when they began awarding the prize to people who were in their 40s, like Tina Fey and Will Ferrell. And now I don't really know what the prize means."

During the ceremony, comedian after comedian praised Kevin Hart for his talents as a performer and an entrepreneur. In addition to his standup and movies, he's involved in several businesses including his own production company, a tequila brand and restaurants.

Growing up, Hart's dad was in and out of jail. He says he got his work ethic from his mom. She died in 2007. Had she been here, Hart believes she'd be proud to see him receive comedy's most prestigious award.

"My mom is a firm believer that what you put into something you get out of it," Hart reflected, "So, because of my effort, knowing my effort, she'd go, 'It's supposed to happen.'"

The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor premieres on Netflix on May 11.

Welldeserved. Kevin Hart's boundless energy, and ability to connect with audiences have made him a standout in the world of comedy.

Johnny Depp, Sydney Sweeney To Pair Up For Supernatural Thriller Day Drinker

It seems like Sydney Sweeney is hitting the jackpot with her recent projects. After landing a lead role in the long awaited movie Immaculate, the talented actress is now set to star alongside Hollywood icon Johnny Depp in another major project. According to reports from The InSneider, their upcoming collaboration is touted to be a supernatural thriller titled Day Drinker. The man behind 500 Days of Summer and The Amazing Spider-Man, Marc Webb, is set to direct the project. Set in various picturesque locations including France, Portugal and Spain, the film will be based on an original story by Zach Dean. The movie explores the themes of love, friendship and revenge. It revolves around the relationship between a mysterious stranger and a grieving bartender coping with the loss of her lover.

As of now, further details about cast and plots are kept under wraps. Meanwhile, it seems like the Euphoria star’s passion for supernatural horror and thrillers is coming true. Her last film, Immaculate, is still going strong and it’s a proof that Sweeney is committed to the genre. Now, with her upcoming project alongside the Pirates of the Caribbean star, fans can expect even interesting performances from the Euphoria star.

The upcoming film Day Drinker will mark Johnny Depp’s one of the first major projects since his legal battle against his ex-wife Amber Heard in 2021. The actor last appeared as King Louis XV in the 2023 historical drama Jeanne du Barry. Additionally, he’s been busy directing a film centered around Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani, which is currently in the post-production stage. Meanwhile, Sydney Sweeney’s career continues to rise, as she previously worked on hit projects like Anyone But You, Immaculate and Dakota Johnson led by Madame Webb. She even hosted an episode of Saturday Night Live.

Earlier, Sweeney raised eyebrows when she spoke about her routine. In a conversation with Wall Street Journal, the actress said, “I usually wake up around 7:30. First I hug my dog, Tank, and we cuddle. Then I’ll go and wash my face, brush my teeth and get ready to jump-start the day. I sleep however many hours I get in a night, but I’m known for being able to function off of very, very little for a very long amount of time. I’ve never tried coffee before. I just drink water. I’m pretty simple if I’m not working. I’m either a blush-and-mascara kind of girl or nothing at all.”

Rumours are circulating about the reboot of Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, sparking hopes among fans for Johnny Depp’s return as Captain Jack Sparrow. However, reports indicate that the reboot may not include the actor.

SOURCE: https://www.news18.com/movies/johnn...upernatural-thriller-day-drinker-8833312.html

Paramount wins legal battle over ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ copyright claims

Paramount Pictures (PARA.O) has emerged victorious in a legal battle over its 2022 blockbuster film Top Gun: Maverick, as a U.S. District Judge in Los Angeles dismissed a lawsuit alleging copyright infringement, Reuters reported.

In a ruling on Friday, Judge Percy Anderson deemed the sequel to not be "substantially similar" to Ehud Yonay's 1983 magazine article, Top Guns, which inspired the original Top Gun film depicting the U.S. Navy's Top Gun fighter pilot training school in San Diego.

The heirs of Ehud Yonay, Shosh Yonay and son Yuval Yonay, contended that Paramount owed them a share of the sequel's profits, arguing that the franchise was built upon Yonay's article, which "breathed life into the technical humdrum of a navy base."

Their attorney, Marc Toberoff, announced plans to appeal the decision, stating, "Once Yonay's widow and son exercised their rights [to] reclaim his exhilarating story, Paramount hand-waved them away exclaiming 'What copyright?' It's not a good look."

Responding to the dismissal, Paramount released a statement expressing satisfaction with the court's decision, stating, "We are pleased that the court recognised that plaintiffs' claims were completely without merit."

Top Gun: Maverick, featuring Tom Cruise reprising his iconic role as U.S. Navy test pilot Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, grossed a staggering $1.5 billion worldwide, solidifying its place as Cruise's highest-grossing film and the 12th highest-grossing film according to Box Office Mojo.

The plaintiffs, both hailing from Israel, argued that the character of "Maverick" in the sequel was "derivative" of the nonfictional Top Guns due to similarities in plot, characters, dialogue, settings, and themes.

However, Judge Anderson highlighted that copyright law does not protect factual elements such as real people's identities or familiar plot elements such as pilots embarking on missions. Furthermore, he noted that copyright law does not extend to themes like "the sheer love of flying," or specific dialogue, such as "Fight's on," identified in both works.

In a significant decision, Anderson also ruled that Paramount was not obligated to credit Ehud in the sequel, as it had done in the original Top Gun with a "suggested by" credit. This decision came after the Yonays terminated Paramount's exclusive movie rights to the article in 2020.

Ehud's article, originally published in the May 1983 issue of California magazine, served as the foundation for the iconic film franchise. The case, titled Yonay et al v. Paramount Pictures Corp, was heard in the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, under case number 22-03846.

SOURCE: EXPRESS TRIBUNE

Paramount Pictures (PARA.O) has emerged victorious in a legal battle over its 2022 blockbuster film Top Gun: Maverick, as a U.S. District Judge in Los Angeles dismissed a lawsuit alleging copyright infringement, Reuters reported.

In a ruling on Friday, Judge Percy Anderson deemed the sequel to not be "substantially similar" to Ehud Yonay's 1983 magazine article, Top Guns, which inspired the original Top Gun film depicting the U.S. Navy's Top Gun fighter pilot training school in San Diego.

The heirs of Ehud Yonay, Shosh Yonay and son Yuval Yonay, contended that Paramount owed them a share of the sequel's profits, arguing that the franchise was built upon Yonay's article, which "breathed life into the technical humdrum of a navy base."

Their attorney, Marc Toberoff, announced plans to appeal the decision, stating, "Once Yonay's widow and son exercised their rights [to] reclaim his exhilarating story, Paramount hand-waved them away exclaiming 'What copyright?' It's not a good look."

Responding to the dismissal, Paramount released a statement expressing satisfaction with the court's decision, stating, "We are pleased that the court recognised that plaintiffs' claims were completely without merit."

Top Gun: Maverick, featuring Tom Cruise reprising his iconic role as U.S. Navy test pilot Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, grossed a staggering $1.5 billion worldwide, solidifying its place as Cruise's highest-grossing film and the 12th highest-grossing film according to Box Office Mojo.

The plaintiffs, both hailing from Israel, argued that the character of "Maverick" in the sequel was "derivative" of the nonfictional Top Guns due to similarities in plot, characters, dialogue, settings, and themes.

However, Judge Anderson highlighted that copyright law does not protect factual elements such as real people's identities or familiar plot elements such as pilots embarking on missions. Furthermore, he noted that copyright law does not extend to themes like "the sheer love of flying," or specific dialogue, such as "Fight's on," identified in both works.

In a significant decision, Anderson also ruled that Paramount was not obligated to credit Ehud in the sequel, as it had done in the original Top Gun with a "suggested by" credit. This decision came after the Yonays terminated Paramount's exclusive movie rights to the article in 2020.

Ehud's article, originally published in the May 1983 issue of California magazine, served as the foundation for the iconic film franchise. The case, titled Yonay et al v. Paramount Pictures Corp, was heard in the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, under case number 22-03846.

Hope we get to see the third soon

Saw Ford v Ferrari on Netflix 2 days ago. Loved it. Christian Bale brilliant & Matt Damon solid.

Commissioner orders release of information on PCP-laced chowder fed during Titanic filming​

The Nova Scotia Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) has ruled in favor of disclosing information regarding a peculiar incident from 1996 involving numerous crew members falling ill on the set of the film “Titanic” after allegedly consuming food spiked with phencyclidine (PCP), commonly known as “angel dust”.

OIPC Commissioner Tricia Ralph found that the Halifax Regional Police (HRP) had improperly withheld certain details under freedom of information laws.

The OIPC directed the HRP to release factual observations from third-party witnesses, with personal identifiers removed, and any previously redacted information under specific sections of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) that does not infringe upon personal privacy.

However, personal details of third-party witnesses and certain HRP officers will remain confidential.

The decision was made considering the potential privacy invasion and the fact that the information was collected for an investigation that did not lead to charges.

The HRP has 45 days from the report’s issuance on March 28, 2024, to disclose the required information.

This incident, initially thought to be food poisoning affecting around 80 crew members, including director James Cameron, was later determined by HRP investigators to be caused by PCP-laced lobster chowder.

While the OIPC recommendations are not binding, the HRP is expected to comply, potentially shedding light on the circumstances surrounding this unusual occurrence.

Taylor Swift: The Tortured Poets Department broke Spotify record​

Taylor Swift's new album, The Tortured Poets Department, has broken the record for Spotify's most-streamed in a single day, the platform said.

The pop sensation also became the most-streamed artist in a single day.

Her hotly anticipated album was released on Friday, sending Swifties around the world into a frenzy.

It contains 31 tracks in which the megastar lays bare her heartbreak and appears to direct anger at former partners.

The first 16 tracks dropped as scheduled at 5am UK time, but just a few hours later, an additional 15 tracks were released, giving her fans plenty to dive into - as well as sending music journalists into a tailspin.

Swift said the album was an anthology of new works reflecting "events, opinions and sentiments from a fleeting and fatalistic moment in time - one that was both sensational and sorrowful in equal measure".

She went on to declare that period in her life "now over".

"The chapter closed and boarded up. There is nothing to avenge, no scores to settle once wounds have healed," she said. "Once we have spoken our saddest story, we can be free of it."

Swift announced the arrival of her 11th studio album live on stage at the Grammy Awards in February.

It contains tracks including So Long, London, which is widely thought to be about her ex-partner, British actor Joe Alwyn. Swift, who was with Alwyn for six years, had previously moved to London where he was living.

Another track, But Daddy I Love Him, is also thought to address the discourse that surrounded Swift's reported-but-never-confirmed romance with The 1975's lead singer Matty Healy, last year.

Disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein's 2020 rape conviction overturned by New York's top court.

BBC

Actor Bernard Hill, best known for roles in Titanic and Lord of the Rings, has died aged 79.

He played Captain Edward Smith in the 1997 Oscar-winning film and King Théoden in the Lord of the Rings.

He died early on Sunday morning, his agent Lou Coulson confirmed.

BBC

So pumped for this movie. It's Francis Ford Coppola's passion project and a movie he has wanted to make since the 1980s. It is inspired heavily by Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. However, despite being Francis Ford Coppola: the director of some of the greatest films ever made, he could not convince movie studios to fund his film, because they perceived it as too risky and ambitious. But to his credit Coppola never gave up. He finally put $120 million+ of his own money, that he made from his vine business and decided to make the movie on his own.

Coppola's reputation as one of the greatest filmmakers that ever lived is never going to be in question. But it has been somewhat disappointing to see his filmmaking career somewhat fade after the 90s. Especially when Scorsese is still doing some of the best work of his career. Which is why I really hope that this film lives up to its very high expectations.

The swimmer who was the first victim in the 1975 blockbuster Jaws has died.

Susan Backlinie died in her home in California at the age of 77, according to her agent. Her death was first reported by The Daily Jaws website.

The opening scene of Steven Spielberg's classic features Ms Backlinie running along the beach and before diving into the water and skinny dipping.

SKY

Back