[PICTURES] How and where would you fit Mohammad Huraira in a brave new world of Pakistan cricket?

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As Pakistan cricket faces an unprecedented decline, slipping to 8th in the Test rankings after a humiliating 2-0 series loss to Bangladesh, it's time to inject fresh talent into the team. Mohammad Huraira, with his impressive domestic record and promising talent, is the ideal candidate to bring about change. His consistent performances in domestic cricket over multiple seasons, including a fantastic 218 against Bangladesh A in the first four-day match in Darwin, demonstrate his readiness for international cricket. With an impressive first-class average of 53.31, Huraira deserves a chance to prove himself in the first Test match against England.

Selecting batters based on reputation rather than current form has led to stagnation. It's time to give Huraira an opportunity to showcase his skills. His aggressive opening style can bring much-needed aggression to Pakistan's top order, while his compact technique and patience provide stability. With proper guidance, Huraira's domestic success can translate to international success, revitalizing the team with his youthful energy and enthusiasm.

Can’t drop Abdullah and Saim at this point. We have to give them more exposure.
Test match experience is valuable and we can’t just keep discarding players after investing on them.

Ideally he should replace Shan who’s a proven failure and hasn’t improved after so many games in FC cricket.
Hurraira’s time will come soon because Shan will fail even more spectacularly as a captain

Can’t drop Abdullah and Saim at this point. We have to give them more exposure.
Test match experience is valuable and we can’t just keep discarding players after investing on them.

Ideally he should replace Shan who’s a proven failure and hasn’t improved after so many games in FC cricket.
Hurraira’s time will come soon because Shan will fail even more spectacularly as a captain
No, this is exactly what is wrong with Pakistan cricket.

You have to tell your team that if someone better exists then they are out. And if they wish to stay in the team then they must be better.

That's how Australia, England etc select.

Abdullah shafiq is not performing, does that mean we discard him forever? Ofcourse not, but we do tell him straight up

" Hey listen bro, we gave you 2 tests against Bangladesh on home turf and you failed. Hurraira is a replacement opener and it's now time to remove you.

If you wish to come back into the team then well you have the local one ay champions cup, PSL's ,and local FC be it quid e azam trophy or some other trophy to impress us again.

This is what they did with Travis head early on in his career.

This mantra of free rides being given to shadab, Chacha, Abdullah etc because their friends must stop.

Seriously it isn't that hard, take a look at the batters who did not perform at all

1) Abdullah Shafiq
2) Babar Azam
3) Shan Masood

The rest performed be it medicore, such as saim's 2 50's, Rizwan and Saudis centuries, Agha's gritty knocks at 7 etc etc.

Now whos in the team atm that's waiting for their call up?

1) Sarfi
2) Kamran Ghulam
3) Hurraira

And numerous others.

That's how it should work, Pakistan crixket is so backwards ong

As Pakistan cricket faces an unprecedented decline, slipping to 8th in the Test rankings after a humiliating 2-0 series loss to Bangladesh, it's time to inject fresh talent into the team. Mohammad Huraira, with his impressive domestic record and promising talent, is the ideal candidate to bring about change. His consistent performances in domestic cricket over multiple seasons, including a fantastic 218 against Bangladesh A in the first four-day match in Darwin, demonstrate his readiness for international cricket. With an impressive first-class average of 53.31, Huraira deserves a chance to prove himself in the first Test match against England.

Selecting batters based on reputation rather than current form has led to stagnation. It's time to give Huraira an opportunity to showcase his skills. His aggressive opening style can bring much-needed aggression to Pakistan's top order, while his compact technique and patience provide stability. With proper guidance, Huraira's domestic success can translate to international success, revitalizing the team with his youthful energy and enthusiasm.
Atiq-uz-Zaman, while speaking to PakPassion, said this about Muhammad Huraira:

"I wish Huraira all the best. I hope he plays the Test match, because I remember that when I was at PCB, and I took on the role at PCB that made me a selector for Under-19 for the Punjab region. And I conducted an open trial, and Huraira came to those trials as well, and he was selected, and he even became the captain of that team. I liked him since then, and I always knew that he had leadership skills - it's like a right-handed Salman Butt. In terms of wisdom and leadership skills, when he speaks, he talks like a leader. So I think he has a great future in Pakistan, and you have seen in domestic cricket, he has scored a couple of double hundreds and one triple hundred, and all big hundreds. I wish him all the best."

Last edited:

You have to tell your team that if someone better exists then they are out. And if they wish to stay in the team then they must be better.

Abdullah shafiq is not performing, does that mean we discard him forever? Ofcourse not, but we do tell him straight up

" Hey listen bro, we gave you 2 tests against Bangladesh on home turf and you failed. Hurraira is a replacement opener and it's now time to remove you.

If you wish to come back into the team then well you have the local one ay champions cup, PSL's ,and local FC be it quid e azam trophy or some other trophy to impress us again.

This mantra of free rides being given to shadab, Chacha, Abdullah etc because their friends must stop.

Seriously it isn't that hard, take a look at the batters who did not perform at all

1) Abdullah Shafiq
2) Babar Azam
3) Shan Masood

The rest performed be it medicore, such as saim's 2 50's, Rizwan and Saudis centuries, Agha's gritty knocks at 7 etc etc.

1) Sarfi
2) Kamran Ghulam
3) Hurraira

And numerous others.

We are different from Aus. We play very little test cricket and when we do after a gap of 6 months we expect our youngsters to perform straightway. Can’t afford to drop players after just a few failures. Abdullah scored a double ton 5 test matches ago.
Test cricket is a lot about experience if we keep dropping players we will have a top 6-7 with less than 10 test matches under their belt and that just won’t work.

I think our most experienced player is Babar who has played only 50 test matches. That says a lot.

We are different from Aus. We play very little test cricket and when we do after a gap of 6 months we expect our youngsters to perform straightway. Can’t afford to drop players after just a few failures. Abdullah scored a double ton 5 test matches ago.
Test cricket is a lot about experience if we keep dropping players we will have a top 6-7 with less than 10 test matches under their belt and that just won’t work.

I think our most experienced player is Babar who has played only 50 test matches. That says a lot.
You are different from aus by choice. No one forced pakistan to be medicore.

Next qubani ke bakray line up please...before you know it you'll be sliced up, disected, hang by your googlies on the pit roast and fed, without 'loon-marcha' to the PCB board members...

1) Abdullah Shafiq
2) Babar Azam
3) Shan Masood

1) Sarfi
2) Kamran Ghulam
3) Hurraira

And numerous others.

Agreed

Competition is how Players like Travis head improved.

He was told by management when he made his debut that he isn't even top 3 aussie openers, and that Australia has Warner, Finch as well as makeshift openers in Marsh, Steve smith. And that if he wishes to come back he must improve.

Travis head in his mind has developed the mentality that he has to remain the best opener for Australia otherwise someone else will take his place.

Pakistan on the other hand doesn't operate in that mantra. Babar could have been an excellent player by now if he consistently lived with the ideology of, I am replaceable and their may be better no 3's available on the circuit, so I must reamin the best or else I'm a goner.

You wouldn't be seeing batting coaches complaining or these spin and fitness issues arising.

He would make a solid 3 a bit like Pujara was for Ind. His back lift makes it difficult to play the pull and hook shots but he is good player of spin from the bits we have seen.

Fakhar is responsible for his own failures.

Blaming others for ones failure is cowardliness. Fakhar just cant control his urge to hack and wack.
Jee jee, And shadab is in the team via merit.

Huraira should come in for Shafique. Top order should look like this.

Saim
Huraira
Babar
Shakeel

We have been pitting off all these youngsters against each other. This has created panic. The afghanistan tour was proof of this. Especially Haris, Saim, Abdullah, Haseebullah all fighting for basically the same slot. We tried to remedy this somewhat by giving Saim a long run, but this then led to the side-lining of Haris.

It is best to not try all of these guys out together in a short time period. Youngsters should be played alongside experienced players without too much pressure to properly develop. And given long runs with little pressure, but only selected when they are actually ready. Our top 3 sucked as we had too much responsibility on Abdullah, Saim and Masood who all have yet to cement their place in the teams properly (yes I know Masood is 34 but he still hasn't done that either).

We'll just be adding Hurraira to the mix, which is another competitor to people like Saim/Abdullah, to prove who is the bigger young talent. Abdullah was considered as the senior talent in the opening partnership. So if you replace with Hurraira you actually just have two extremely inexperienced openers batting together. With Masood supporting them at 3. It sounds terrible.

We are cycling through these talents so fast they'll just be left in the dumpster pile a few years later. I've seen this happen all before. Look how Sami Aslam ended up, he actually succeeded early in tests too, and it ended up nothing despite being one of our most performing players at youth level.

And after seeing how Saim wasn't/isn't ready, as was Haris, as was Abdullah when at 22, I kind of expect the exact same thing from Hurraira at 22. Talented player just like those others but not ready yet. What's the point of just repeating the same mistakes again that we committed with Saim etc.

It is sad after a really promising 2022 and 2023 where he performed in both tests and ODIs, Abdullah is now facing the drop after 3 bad test matches in 2024. No wonder these guys look worried about their place all the time. There is just too much pressure and responsibility placed on them. You'd think Abdullah was a complete failure how some are talking about him, when he still averages 40 which is better than we've had for a test opener for a very long time.

At the minute instead of abdul shafique

In the long run instead of shan masood

Hopefully he doesn't get played like sahibzada or imran butt

Pakistanis continue to dig their own grave and then they ask why. It’s not time to inject fresh talent, it’s time to inject experience and proven domestic and international performers.
Pakistan needs to desperately bring back players it dropped prematurely to strengthen this inexperienced side. Test cricket ain’t for rookies.

Abid Ali
Imam
Saud Shakeel
Babar Azam
Agha Salman
Asad Shafique
Mohd Rizwan
Mohd Abbas
Nauman Ali
Shaheen
Mir Hamza

Where is Yasir Shah? They should try and rehabilitate him.

Huraira comes in easily as we have an opening slot completely vacant. Abdullah and Saim are both bad. They can easily be replaced. Huraira has earned his spot in the squad and he should be playing ahead of these out of form players.

Huraira comes in easily as we have an opening slot completely vacant. Abdullah and Saim are both bad. They can easily be replaced. Huraira has earned his spot in the squad and he should be playing ahead of these out of form players.
Not saim in test. In t20 he should get the boot, but in test I watched him.

Thing is the kid has one heck of a defense and he has good timing which goes along way to be a good batter, however I believe saim has misunderstood himself.

He's viewing himself as an aggressive bang bang batter but in reality he's a defensive accumulator with the right attitude and approach to the game.

I'd still give him more games in test, he's played like 3 and scored 2 50's, it doesn't warrant a boot.

Pcb he's into the habit of discarding players in one format for poor form in another. I don't think he should play t20 though.

As for Abdullah, this guys has been exposed as a sri Lankan basher only. Hurraira should come in for him. It'd a shame cause I backed him and saud the most.

I still back saud though, but I just cannot under no circumstances back the new member of the nexus. Sorry Abdullah you switched sides first, don't blame me

No.3 in place of non performing captain. Saim and Abdullah need to be backed.

Not saim in test. In t20 he should get the boot, but in test I watched him.

Thing is the kid has one heck of a defense and he has good timing which goes along way to be a good batter, however I believe saim has misunderstood himself.

He's viewing himself as an aggressive bang bang batter but in reality he's a defensive accumulator with the right attitude and approach to the game.

I'd still give him more games in test, he's played like 3 and scored 2 50's, it doesn't warrant a boot.

Pcb he's into the habit of discarding players in one format for poor form in another. I don't think he should play t20 though.

As for Abdullah, this guys has been exposed as a sri Lankan basher only. Hurraira should come in for him. It'd a shame cause I backed him and saud the most.

I still back saud though, but I just cannot under no circumstances back the new member of the nexus. Sorry Abdullah you switched sides first, don't blame me
Agreed , Saim should change his approach in Test cricket , He's got poster boy technique coupled with solid defense and is not shattered by extra pace at all. If he can bat like an accumulator and not go for rash shot he has the potential to average 40+ with the as an opener in test cricket.

Abdullah should be replaced by Huraira. Let Abdullah sit out and reflect on his missed opportunity's

Abdullah should be replaced by Huraira. Let Abdullah sit out and reflect on his missed opportunity's
Exactly. these guys are taking things for granted. Should give them a reality check asap.

So now Hurraira is our new fav after our previous favs (Saim, Shafique) let us down.

Let him come and fail so that we can find a new fav.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now Hurraira is our new abu after our previous abus (Saim, Shafique) let us down.

Let him come and fail so that we can find a new abu.
Huraira will surely fail as opener against any half decent bowler even on slightly helpful surface. Better we play him in middle order if we want him to succeed as he got high concentration levels and can play spin well as well. He can grind runs and play in the V well and got some attacking strokes as well. Complete package as a middle order batter who is not dud against quality spin.

Mohammad Huraira provided a good start to the Dolphins in the Champions One-Day Cup 2024, but walked back to the pavilion after scoring 39 (30), which included three sixes.

Huraira will surely fail as opener against any half decent bowler even on slightly helpful surface. Better we play him in middle order if we want him to succeed as he got high concentration levels and can play spin well as well. He can grind runs and play in the V well and got some attacking strokes as well. Complete package as a middle order batter who is not dud against quality spin.

I agree he needs to play in the middle order for his domestic team which then will give him better chance to succeed in international.

He can surely fit in the test team for now. One-day team is still far from hima tm. We have better players than him in Limited overs.

I think it's better to go for kamran Ghulam. Dude has been grinding and grinding.

Play Kamran as opener alongside Abdullah Shafiq

I love Fakhar but seem to get the feeling his form has dwindled since that epic century against NZ in Bangalore. Age is not on his side either.. Saim is hit or miss but don’t mind him as the backup opener. Imam would sadly have to miss out.

I think opening with Abdullah and Kamran alongside our middle order of Babar, Rizwan and Saud is our best chance for the CT

Play Kamran as opener alongside Abdullah Shafiq

I love Fakhar but seem to get the feeling his form has dwindled since that epic century against NZ in Bangalore. Age is not on his side either.. Saim is hit or miss but don’t mind him as the backup opener. Imam would sadly have to miss out.

I think opening with Abdullah and Kamran alongside our middle order of Babar, Rizwan and Saud is our best chance for the CT
Abdullah is useless, he's been a failure everywhere besides bashing sri lanka

Instead of conducting one day cup wouldn't it had been better to conduct test championship of 4 teams and select 2 venues so that 2 matches go simutsneously a nd each team play 3 matches followed by final. That means continuouus cricket of 20 days may be in a span of 30 days. It would have filtered the real talent instead of current substandard odi tournament.

Not in LOI - was a standout performer in the 2023 WC the last time he played a Limited Overs game
He failed in every game besides the sri lanka game lol.

Well he probs maybe has 1 or 2 50's in some games I don't remember

He failed in every game besides the sri lanka game lol.

Well he probs maybe has 1 or 2 50's in some games I don't remember

Yeah he scored 50’s against Afg and Australia.

Still a good option in ODI’s in my opinion..

It would be a brave new world if Kamran Akmal was opening or at least the coach of this team.

Yeah he scored 50’s against Afg and Australia.

Still a good option in ODI’s in my opinion..
He flopped against Bangladesh and is terrible In a domestic league with lower quality bowlers then in international?

Muhammad Huraira's 12-ball duck against Markhors raises concerns about his ability to initiate innings and chase targets in white-ball cricket. It's disheartening to see our top-notch talented players struggling in the Champions One-Day Cup 2024.

bUfnjv5.jpg

He is not meant to be opener the sooner we realize the less time will be wasted , however he can be very good middle order batter who can grind runs in both ODI and Tests.

Back